Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #2761  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shopping DivaView Post
this thread is huge!

Where is the cheapest place to purchase copics?

Thanks everyone!
Right now, Carpediem.com....great sale at $3.56 each for the Sketch!!!! Simple Irresistable.......
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 06:22 PM   #2762  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetostamp3View Post
Right now, Carpediem.com....great sale at $3.56 each for the Sketch!!!! Simple Irresistable.......
the correct website is carediemstore.com--I hate for someone to be frustrated when they are being enabled........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 06:39 PM   #2763  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Please help me decide . . .

I have been toying with buying some Copic Sketch markers, and this sale at Carpe Diem is truly irresistible, but . . . ,

How do I decide how many I need to buy for starters? Which ones?

I have tried to do my homework, I've read and read on the Internet, studied the web sites of Marianne Walker, Sharon Harnist, Ellen Hutson, found the starter list suggested by Suzanne Dean, etc., and all I've accomplished is getting myself thoroughly confused. I hate to spend a ton of money only to find I have the wrong colors--or to buy fewer and find that I don't have enough (yes, I know, you don't have enough until you have 322 of 'em!).

So, I'd really appreciate it if you would suggest what is a good minimum number of markers for a first order, and which colors?

Thanks a ton,
SCS Fan Club Member
Color Challenge Team Member
QFTD215
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #2764  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by nayttapView Post
the correct website is carediemstore.com--I hate for someone to be frustrated when they are being enabled........
Oops, I'm so sorry about that, and you're right! (however it's actually spelled carpediemstore.com). Once I start to type, my computer does the rest, so I don't pay attention...old age!!! I was just so excited to share the good news and price I left out important information. I'm so sorry to all you addicts out there, I just want to share my addiction!!!! In fact, while I was gone, I visited Ellen Hutson's store and (I'm ashamed to say..)bought the new colors because I couldn't wait!!!! They are so yummy and will be great for shadowing, airbrushing, those light textures, must I go on.... I have my first grandchild coming and I can't wait to use them on the new baby stamps I've bought! Oh my gosh, I have to get a life outside of stamping, don't I???????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #2765  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by bejoyceView Post
I have been toying with buying some Copic Sketch markers, and this sale at Carpe Diem is truly irresistible, but . . . ,

I have tried to do my homework, I've read and read on the Internet, studied the web sites of Marianne Walker, Sharon Harnist, Ellen Hutson, found the starter list suggested by Suzanne Dean, etc., and all I've accomplished is getting myself thoroughly confused. I hate to spend a ton of money only to find I have the wrong colors--or to buy fewer and find that I don't have enough (yes, I know, you don't have enough until you have 322 of 'em!).

So, I'd really appreciate it if you would suggest what is a good minimum number of markers for a first order, and which colors?

Thanks a ton,
Barbara, you are reading up on the experts. I'd say a good minimum order is 322!!!! ha ha... Actually, reading their lists of what they use and getting the grouping colors of 3 is a good place to start. I saw a YouTube video or read somewhere, even though I don't always follow it, that using the same number series within the letter groupings, ie R20's, then you want to pick Y20's, G20's, BG20's, B20's, etc. That that was the idea intended for the numbering to coordinate the shading of colors..... I don't necessarily always follow it, but it makes sense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 06:49 PM   #2766  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Thanks a ton,
Which ones you buy depends on you and what you like to color, and how much you have to spend. To start, a light and dark color in each shade you prefer is nice, three colors is better--a light, dark and medium. Choose numbers at least with the second digit at least two numbers apart, and print off a chart from the copic website or www.inkyheart.typepad.com to keep track of your investment.

Suzanne Dean has suggestions on her blog at www.scrapbitz.blogspot.com, Debbie has suggestions on hers at debbiedesigns.typepad.com, and there's others at http://rosawelt.blogspot.com

ENJOY.......but be careful.....it truly is an addiction.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #2767  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Thanks a ton,
I don't envy you this. It's for this reason, I'm so glad I can go to my local art store and pick them up there. I can't imagine having to order online. LOL (Had we not moved, I probably wouldn't have gotten them in the first place.;)) Good luck with your decisions! You won't be disappointed at all, other than probably wanting more.:twisted:

Inkspots101 my crafting blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 07:16 PM   #2768  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Thanks a ton,
If I were just starting out and REALLY already committed I'd think 18-20 of well chosen colors would be fabulous. You could do groups of 3 and pick 6 colors...and a couple neutrals or greys...

that said....considering the sale right now at carpediemstore.com i think if you want to jump into sketch rather than ciao....It would be a great starting point to get to that $80 point. I think it is 23 markers? You'd get more for your $80 there than anywhere else right now.

The next best price point is 4.25....19 markers gets you to $80.75...
at carpediemstore.com at the sale price of $3.56 and free shipping... you'd get 23 for $81.88....so why not get 23, right?

A set of 23 would be a great starting point if you thought it out carefully, and it sounds like you are doing your research. Try looking for pics of hand-colored charts. They give more accurate shading differences to see which markers you may want in a color grouping. This is after you spend tons of time drooling after other's artwork that jive with your style....flowers, scenery, people, animals etc. You'll get color tone/group ideas and then specific marker ideas from the charts. It is "easier" to get groups of three as a beginner and then later you can branch out into more colors and groups of twos for blending as your techniques improve.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #2769  
Matboard Maniac

I did buy my first ones in a store.........but after that I watch the blogs and websites and just make notes of colors I'd like. The majority of mine are bought online.....once I got the hang of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2009, 07:45 PM   #2770  
Compulsive Stamper

sub
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 12:52 AM   #2771  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought quite a few of mine in an art store about an hour's drive from me. What was really helpful is that they would let me try out the colours on a piece of paper before I chose which colours that I wanted. Often the actual colour of the marker is much different then what is shown on a computer screen, or even the brochure that you can get from copic showing you a colour chart.

I really love my copics!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 04:25 AM   #2772  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetostamp3View Post
I JUST received my order from them Friday at $4.25 each and NOW they're $3.56??? :( I'm going to email them and ask for a refund of the difference and see what they say!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 05:09 AM   #2773  
Polyshrink Goddess

Apparently there is a big sale this week!

I'm trying to decide if I "need" another 23 markers when I was really only thinking about buying 8 or so......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 05:13 AM   #2774  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default do you have the color WHEEL to post?

Did anyone SAVE the copic color wheel to their own files?

The link on the copic website brings you to the color listing rather than the "wheel". And the links from everyone's blogs is dead. I think they reorganized their site and messed it up. I spent hours over the weekend trying to hunt it up.

The wheel is helpful to sometimes see the "close enough" color....so I don't buy something similar to what I already have......when they are diagonally across.....and even though I have over 100 I don't think I'll ever buy them all....

TIA!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 07:39 AM   #2775  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Question

Hi! I don't own any Copics yet and have been trying to read through this entire thread to find an answer to this question, but I am too impatient so I am going to throw it out there. Sorry if it's been addressed already. Can you ink up a stamp with these markers? I'm just thinking of possible uses which would include my solid image stamps. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 07:46 AM   #2776  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancemom3View Post
Hi! I don't own any Copics yet and have been trying to read through this entire thread to find an answer to this question, but I am too impatient so I am going to throw it out there. Sorry if it's been addressed already. Can you ink up a stamp with these markers? I'm just thinking of possible uses which would include my solid image stamps. Thanks for your help!
Yes you can.. here's a link that will tell you more

http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/200...lean-look
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 11:20 AM   #2777  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks Jennifer! I've been on Marianne's blog a lot but still managed to miss that post! I wonder if it would be a good idea to get one of the wide markers in the colorless blender so you can cover a large area quickly when using this technique?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #2778  
Pearl-ExPert

Does anyone know how long Carpediem take to ship?

Last edited by Shopping Diva; 07-07-2009 at 11:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 12:28 PM   #2779  
Inking Addict

Default copics from carpe diem

i just ordered from carpe diem, and it didn't take long at all. Including the weekend I think it was 5 days from the time I ordered. I was impressed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #2780  
Gabfest Goddess

mine took about 2 days
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #2781  
Pearl-ExPert

Great! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 01:07 PM   #2782  
Polyshrink Goddess

I can't add anything to the cart on their site. Is anyone else having a problem?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 02:36 PM   #2783  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnazzyStamperView Post
I can't add anything to the cart on their site. Is anyone else having a problem?
Also having the same problem. Ya think they're INUNDATED with SCS readers trying to order?:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 02:41 PM   #2784  
Gallery Gazer

I was on Mozilla Firefox, thought maybe it would work through Internet Explorer, still having the problem. BUMMER!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 02:56 PM   #2785  
Rubber Obsessor

Mine took 3 days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 03:33 PM   #2786  
Matboard Maniac

I just had the same problem! I'm wondering if their server is overloaded too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #2787  
Gallery Gazer

Those having the problem....have you successfully ordered online before? I'm wondering if it couldn't have something to do with my computer settings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 03:37 PM   #2788  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnazzyStamperView Post
The next best price point is 4.25....19 markers gets you to $80.75...
at carpediemstore.com at the sale price of $3.56 and free shipping... you'd get 23 for $81.88....so why not get 23, right?
Right! I put in my order for 23 Sketch markers this morning. Irresistible price! I did my best to combine lists of recommended colors and made my best guess what to select. Time will tell whether I did a good job. If I didn't, I'll just to have to buy more to fill in where I need them. OK, of course I'll have to buy more anyway!
SCS Fan Club Member
QFTD215
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 04:02 PM   #2789  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancystampsView Post
Those having the problem....have you successfully ordered online before? I'm wondering if it couldn't have something to do with my computer settings.
I haven't ordered from them yet.... I have used Dick Blick, merriartist, and oozak.....but carpediemstore have the best price this week, so I thought I'd at least check it out.....

I can't really imagine that there are that many of us trying to buy at exactly the same time and consistently....I've tried on and off for 10 hours and no go......

The recent copic poll count only had 160 participating.....so maybe SCS brings 500 buyers to the table? Maybe 1000? We weren't all trying to buy at the same time.....

ETA: and the sale is only for sketch.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 04:38 PM   #2790  
Matboard Maniac

I got my order to go through at carpediem. I was using Mozilla Firefox before and went in through Internet Explorer this time. I don't know if that's what made the difference but I'm happy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #2791  
Gallery Gazer

OK, success this time (and with Mozilla). Cindy, you must have just made it through when the site cleared up again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 05:03 PM   #2792  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

How much longer is the sale? I could use some more browns and greens. I never seem to have the right colors for grass, etc.:rolleyes:;) I just need to buy more, don't I?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #2793  
Polyshrink Goddess

The sale runs through the 12th of July....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2009, 07:01 PM   #2794  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeachboundView Post
We'll need to meet half way at Dick Blick's in Roswell.....

Marianne; think Atlanta for one of your classes!!!! North side, by the Mall of Ga.! ;-) and don't listen to Shell when she says south side! LOL!!!
If you do a class by the Mall of GA I will definitely sign up!!! Pretty please, can we bribe you with anything??? LOL

Ronda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2009, 09:22 AM   #2795  
Kookie Creator

Bribes? I like cookies ;)

I don't usually do east-coast classes anymore, though there is an art school in Atlanta that I need to visit sometime, so maybe...hmmm...2010?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #2796  
Matboard Maniac

What about west coast classes. I really really want to go for copic certification. I'm just outside of Los Angeles.

BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2009, 09:35 AM   #2797  
Hardware Hotshot

Well, I just placed my order and I can I say that it was agonizing trying to decide what to get! LOL! It doesn't help that carpediem deletes your shopping cart after a short time. I hate that. Joann.com does the same thing now. I need my cart saved for at least 24 hours so I have time to decide! ;)

Wild Rose Stamper blog
SCS gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #2798  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
Do you mean this one?
Oh, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!
SCS Fan Club Member
QFTD215
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2009, 09:55 AM   #2799  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by dstfrommiView Post
I just ordered 25 from MerriArtist and they were all in stock. They are $4.46 per marker (sketch) and anything over $90 is free shipping. I've bought most of mine from there and they have top notch service and ship within a day.
I ordered from them as well but they didn't have all the colors I needed, so I ordered more from stampingscrapping.com (they were pre-order) It shouldn't be long even though we just had word that the owner is very sick and her husband is trying to do everything. Anyway I've ordered nestabilities etc. from them before and their customer service is great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #2800  
Polyshrink Goddess

I need some help with a compressor. I know nothing about them and don't want to pay $225 for one. Is there one under $100 that would have the right psi for copics?

Check out my Blog! -
The Fishy-Scrapper's Chronicles
Reply With Quote Likes