Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-23-2009, 07:53 AM   #2921  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read that SU paper has a coating on it that will harm your copic markers.

Anyone have any information on this? Is it true. I use both and hope I am not ruining my markers......

Thanks,
kat9
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2009, 08:08 AM   #2922  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuppymouseView Post
From my experience, the thickness does not mean you use less ink. In fact, from what I know, thicker paper allows you to use *more* ink, as it can accept more ink and you keep blending and blending and whatnot. Having the ink show through on the back simply means that it is saturated enough for normal blending purposes, bearing in mind that different papers require different amts of ink to get you to the right point. I have the heavier Gina K and my personal favorite (everyone has their own preference) is PTI, bc it is thick enough to give me wiggle room to blend w/o bleeding but not so thick that it takes too much to get it blended how I like it. I find that with the Gina K base weight, I need to keep working it more than I would usually do with PTI to get it how I want it. But I have not refilled yet (although I think I will do so soon for my blender).

My suggestion is to try as many papers as you can to find what paper/ink combo makes you the happiest. Mine is PTI + memento, but there are many other fish in the sea! But really, the bleed through on the back from using something less heavy than the Gina K baseweight IMO is not a sign of using less ink. The Gina K is great if you want to do a single layer project or you like how it works, but that's the reason to use it IMO.

Cynthia
I used to use Paper Trey Ink's cs until I got Gina K's 120 lb almost a year ago---I've tried all the papers out there & it continues to be the best for blending & coloring with Copics (neenah is pretty good too). The ink DOES not sink into the paper which means you do use less ink & it makes blending so much easier!! When the ink sits on the top of the paper it's easier to blend & doesn't dry as quickly because it has a super-smooth surface. PTI's paper has too much "tooth" to the surface to blend super well & it does suck the ink down into the cs. But everyone does have their own preference, but if someone asks me what paper to use I always say its Gina K's!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2009, 08:19 AM   #2923  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzannejdeanView Post
I used to use Paper Trey Ink's cs until I got Gina K's 120 lb almost a year ago---I've tried all the papers out there & it continues to be the best for blending & coloring with Copics (neenah is pretty good too). The ink DOES not sink into the paper which means you do use less ink & it makes blending so much easier!! When the ink sits on the top of the paper it's easier to blend & doesn't dry as quickly because it has a super-smooth surface. PTI's paper has too much "tooth" to the surface to blend super well & it does suck the ink down into the cs. But everyone does have their own preference, but if someone asks me what paper to use I always say its Gina K's!!
This just goes to show why it's great to try out lots of paper and ink combos. I find that with the Gina K, I use many more marker strokes overall to color my images and that it's harder for me to get the shading done in larger areas. Maybe it's the way I color, but each to their own! It is nice, however, to have an option where it doesn't soak through and I have a lot of the 120 Gina K, so maybe I will grow to love it.

Just wanted to say, however, for new subscribers to this thread, that it is a good idea to try out different papers that people recommend. The paper that someone else loves or is iffy on may totally work for you, or it might not, but this is not necessarily a one size fits all choice.

Hey, for a change of topic, sorry about the Oozak return issue. There's a thread on close colors floating around somewhere, but this is hard to deal with if you cannot test markers in person. Hopefully you can swap or sell them... I'd be interested in knowing what you have. But does anyone have any new news re when they might get the new colors in? The website info has not been updated.

Cynthia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2009, 08:23 AM   #2924  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsmith2543View Post
I just wanted to warn anyone that may be thinking about purchasing from Oozak.com for their markers: THEY WON'T TAKE RETURNS OR EXCHANGES AND THIS IS NOT STATED ON THEIR WEBSITE!!! I ordered and had colors that were practically the same as ones I had already (too close to tell the difference), I wanted to return or exchange and they wouldn't do it. I understand their reasons for wanting to make sure markers weren't used and returned (which I would never do) however, it is not stated on the website and that is just plain wrong IMO. So, be sure to either order colors you know aren't too close to what you have already, or find somewhere else to go (I would have). I will be going elsewhere for my Copics in the future. Don't get burned like I did.
Oh No that stinks! I had that happen on ebay except in that case they just sent me the wrong colors and never returned my messages. I have brand new extras of V15 Mallow, BG09 Blue Green, V09 Violet, BG000 Pale Aqua, and V000 Pale Heath that I would love to swap out for something. Let me know if you might like to trade.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #2925  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by kat9View Post
I just read that SU paper has a coating on it that will harm your copic markers.

Anyone have any information on this? Is it true. I use both and hope I am not ruining my markers......

Thanks,
kat9
Not true. IT's a coated paper so waterbased products work well on it, but it won't ruin your Copics, it just won't give you the best results. You are safe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #2926  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Virginia, where we have the beach and mountains all in one state!!

I just wanted to chime in on a new paper I have been using and it's Prism Simply White. I really like it and it is very similar to Gina K's which I still love by the way. The only down fall to Prism is it's not a heavy weight. If I had a choice I would choose a thicker version every time. And another advantage to Prism is that it's 12 x 12, this is a huge plus for me!!

My "Small" Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #2927  

http://www.7kidscollegefund.com/category_s/374.htm has the new 0000 markers in this coming week & they're up for pre-order if anyone is interested!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #2928  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks so much for the input on paper to try...I have tried the Neenah and PTI and prefer the PTI over the Neenah, it stamps the image clearer to begin with and I felt I could blend better, but I think I'll give the Gina K paper a try, using less ink would be great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2009, 03:38 PM   #2929  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michellena317View Post
Oh No that stinks! I had that happen on ebay except in that case they just sent me the wrong colors and never returned my messages. I have brand new extras of V15 Mallow, BG09 Blue Green, V09 Violet, BG000 Pale Aqua, and V000 Pale Heath that I would love to swap out for something. Let me know if you might like to trade.
I'll take Oozak's lowest prices on the web and free shipping at $50 plus their excellent customer service anyday over the ability to return markers. Go to Blick and look at the colors if you are not sure, or trade on here among friends when this happens.........I'm an Oozak fan--and I understand their return policy.........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2009, 04:29 PM   #2930  
Rubber Obsessor

I just found the new pale 0000 Copic markers on the Starvingartistamps website!

They retail a little higher but there is free shipping and they are being sold as a set so you get the storage box. I figured the price really was about right with the free shipping and box. The biggest plus is that they had them in stock. I am a happy camper now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2009, 06:12 PM   #2931  
Pearl-ExPert

Gina K. 80# works great with copics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2009, 07:25 PM   #2932  
Rubber Obsessor

"I'll take Oozak's lowest prices on the web and free shipping at $50 plus their excellent customer service anyday over the ability to return markers. Go to Blick and look at the colors if you are not sure"

Unfortunately I don't have a Blick or anything here in small-town Iowa which is why I ordered online. My main beef with Oozak is that they don't post their return policy (or refusal of) regarding markers. I wouldn't have ordered in the first place. I just wanted others to know, so they don't get stuck with 18 markers like I did.
I have a few connections and interest in the markers and hope to unload all 18 of them here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2009, 07:43 PM   #2933  
Pearl-ExPert

You all know that Carpediem does not accept returns on markers either right?

Most online craft stores will not accept returns of unsealed items...I can understand why.

Oozak stands by their mistakes, and if they shipped you the wrong item, they would exchange it. But unfortunately when we ourselves make a mistake when ordering, it's ours to rectify...not the seller's problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 04:54 AM   #2934  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsmith2543View Post
"I'll take Oozak's lowest prices on the web and free shipping at $50 plus their excellent customer service anyday over the ability to return markers. Go to Blick and look at the colors if you are not sure"

Unfortunately I don't have a Blick or anything here in small-town Iowa which is why I ordered online. My main beef with Oozak is that they don't post their return policy (or refusal of) regarding markers. I wouldn't have ordered in the first place. I just wanted others to know, so they don't get stuck with 18 markers like I did.
I have a few connections and interest in the markers and hope to unload all 18 of them here.
The color chart from Copic helps. If the colors are touching, they are very similiar. I used it yesterday when I went to the art store to pick up a few sketch markers and mutliliners.

copic color chart.pdf

I have made a similiar mistake and sucked it up. Actually my ds got those markers. Yesterday, we discovered that the multiliner I let my ds pick put was a 0.05 instead of a 0.5. He was very disappointed and tried to get me to trade multiliners with him. I eventually did and just figured I could replace the multiliner I traded some other time. So now I have a 0.05 Cobalt blue multiliner instead of a 0.5 gray multiliner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 05:02 AM   #2935  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree 100% with nayttap, i found OOZAK a couple of months ago and they are the best to order from. The have fantastic customer service, i know i have asked a couple of questions to them and in no time i got a response. Also the shipping is probably the fastest i have ever had. The most important you can't beat the prices. I am slowly building up my collection and OOZAK will be the place i order from.
smallcity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 05:09 AM   #2936  
Crimping Master

In the past two weeks I have ordered from Carpe Diem and Oozak. Carpe Diem took 5 business days to fill my order before it was shipped. Oozak took 1 hour to fill my order. I will order from Oozak because of the lower free shipping and quicker packing time. I won't rule out Carde Diem if they ever have the sketch markers for $3.56 again.

I wish I could pre-order the new sketch markers from Oozak. But now I just have to check with them every day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 05:15 AM   #2937  
Embossing Fanatic

Please forgive me if this question has already been asked. I tried I really did ,but I just dont have time to read all 76 !!! pages.
My question: Can I replace my nib on the "Original" copic with a sketch nib? Mine has a broad end and a hard fine tip end , I really think it would be easier to learn with one end having the "brush" type nib. I have 68 markers and they are all the original copics. Ooops!
Anyone know if this can be done?
Please help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 05:44 AM   #2938  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbuffan218View Post
Please forgive me if this question has already been asked. I tried I really did ,but I just dont have time to read all 76 !!! pages.
My question: Can I replace my nib on the "Original" copic with a sketch nib? Mine has a broad end and a hard fine tip end , I really think it would be easier to learn with one end having the "brush" type nib. I have 68 markers and they are all the original copics. Ooops!
Anyone know if this can be done?
Please help.
You can replace your nib with a brush tip that is made for the original copic markers. It is not the same as the super brush on the sketch marker.

They retail for $6 for 3 nibs. Oozak has them for $3.97. You would have to buy 23 packs and it would cost $91.31. I would buy a few sketch markers and see if you can't just supplement what you have with the sketch markers. There are artists out there that swear by the original copic.
HTH

Last edited by StampinSulli; 07-24-2009 at 05:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 06:54 AM   #2939  
Pearl-ExPert

Yep...it's true...it's a huge expense to swap out nibs...I had considered purchasing a huge lot of originals on Craigslist and swapping nibs, but it increased the price too much to make it a deal.

If you enjoy coloring with them as they are...great...but if you REALLY want the brush nibs, it may be more cost-effective to sell what you have and buy all sketch. If you sold the originals for $3, you would still come out ahead of buying all new nibs, since the sketch are $4.25 at oozak....plus you don't have any work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 07:30 AM   #2940  
Forum Fanatic

I like the Originals for small areas, so I use all 3 versions of Copics interchangeably. Once you use the brush markers, it is a different feeling to use the Originals, because it doesn't seem to lay as much color down so you have to do more circles; but it still works

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 03:15 PM   #2941  
Proud Fan Club Member
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Send a message via Skype™ to ashjoy

I'm new to copics and wondering which set I should start with, the Ciao or the atyou spica glitter copics? Can someone tell me the difference and which I need. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 03:59 PM   #2942  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashjoyView Post
I'm new to copics and wondering which set I should start with, the Ciao or the atyou spica glitter copics? Can someone tell me the difference and which I need. Thanks.
Before you start buying, do some more research--even reading this long winded thread for help.

There's three kinds of copic markers--original, sketch, and ciao's......all with differing amounts of ink, different, body shapes, and capabilities, but the exact same colors.

Then there's the atyou spica glitter pens.......just what they say--glitter pens. They are wonderful for highlighting parts of images that you color, etc.

Personally I need both the copics and the atyou spica glitter pens...... I prefer the sketch copics for their oval bodies, brush tip on one end, and their ability to fit into an air compressor. There are 322 colors. Collecting Copics is VERY addictive--consider yourself forewarned.

When you start buying pens, print a color chart immediately and keep track of your investment...it's easy to buy duplicates by accident. Read up about the numbering system and color wheel as you peruse the web for further information.

If you can only get one spica--I'd recommend the clear one. You can use it over over coloring etc.

The copic website at www.copicmarker.com describes the pens and differences at length. Marianne Walker is the "Queen of Copics" and has a blog at ilikemarkers.blogspot.com that is an incredible source.....

Good luck with this latest obsession!

My name is Pat and I'm a copoholic.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #2943  
Proud Fan Club Member
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Send a message via Skype™ to ashjoy

Thanks, now I guess my big question is how many of you have the air brush system and do you use it often. Is it worth the price difference in pens for me to plan ahead?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #2944  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love the airbrush. It is really neat for doing various things like backgrounds and colording prima flowers and stuff. And I like the Sketch more than the Ciao. I have both, and it seemed like such a small thing when I originally bought them, so I started with Ciao.... The number and name on the end of the caps is what makes it for me! I have labeled my Ciaos, but as they run out I am replacing with Sketch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #2945  
Kookie Creator

Got my Copics a year ago but just enjoying it lately as I've started to get the results that I like. I'm slowly buying by twos (related colours) to build up my Copic collection.

I'm still learning though but I'll get there. lol! Whenver I want my image to have a subtle look, I go for Prismacolor pencils but for a vibrant, lively look...it must be Copics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #2946  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashjoyView Post
Thanks, now I guess my big question is how many of you have the air brush system and do you use it often. Is it worth the price difference in pens for me to plan ahead?
I have a few ciaos.........but mostly sketch. I too really appreciate the number on the end cap--because I refer to that continually when I'm coloring and looking for a pen.

I'm one of those people who always used to start with less quality items "to try them out"..and eventually replace whatever I purchased with the best--spending much more than if I just started with quality to begin with. I've finally learned to start small, but with the highest quality available. For me, that's the sketch markers.

And you guessed it......I've already purchased an air compressor......... love it for backgrounds. It's just fun to play with! Just had to have it........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 06:52 PM   #2947  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by nayttapView Post
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashjoy
I have a few ciaos.........but mostly sketch. I too really appreciate the number on the end cap--because I refer to that continually when I'm coloring and looking for a pen.

I'm one of those people who always used to start with less quality items "to try them out"..and eventually replace whatever I purchased with the best--spending much more than if I just started with quality to begin with. I've finally learned to start small, but with the highest quality available. For me, that's the sketch markers.

And you guessed it......I've already purchased an air compressor......... love it for backgrounds. It's just fun to play with! Just had to have it........
I have Ciaos and love them - I was lucky enough to buy them all in two 72 containers (which you can purchase separately if you want) and I then put them in color/number order I don't need the numbers on the ends (though I put them on) because I can easily tell which is the lightest in each grouping.

As far as the Airbrushing goes the kit was made for the Sketch however can be altered to hold the Ciao.

All the Copic markers are the same QUALITY as they are manufactured the same the container for the ink is what differs and that is just a matter of preference not quality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 07:50 PM   #2948  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
I have Ciaos and love them - I was lucky enough to buy them all in two 72 containers (which you can purchase separately if you want) and I then put them in color/number order I don't need the numbers on the ends (though I put them on) because I can easily tell which is the lightest in each grouping.

As far as the Airbrushing goes the kit was made for the Sketch however can be altered to hold the Ciao.

All the Copic markers are the same QUALITY as they are manufactured the same the container for the ink is what differs and that is just a matter of preference not quality.
I agree with RiverIsis...........Copics are all the same high quality through and through. I didn't mean to insinuate otherwise. It truly is preference....

Last edited by nayttap; 07-24-2009 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: name spelled wrong
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 12:40 PM   #2949  
Matboard Maniac

Subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 11:46 PM   #2950  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am too lazy to skim over 77 pages but has anyone had ink *shining/ink building up* problems? When you color and try to blend the copics was there an instance when it shines? It usually happens with my browns or reds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2009, 03:25 AM   #2951  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by gayle3131View Post
My choice for skin colors are E000, E00 and E11 for shading. I also use R20 for rosy cheeks.
The 3 blues you have are awesome for coloring jeans.
I did get some lighter blues as I like lots of snow and water scenes.

I know it'll take forever but I did find lots of great tips on this thread, just can't remember how far in. Take a bit and go through this thread and you'll get lots of great ideas. I still haven't made it all the way through.

I'm sure other people will post some tips for you as well.
I'm mostly looking to start with colors for skin and hair. What colors would you recommend for darker skin tones? I would like to have a good range of skin colors...

Thanks again!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2009, 03:55 AM   #2952  
Compulsive Stamper

AhhhhhHHHHh *insert angelic voices singing here* I found a link on ilikemarkers that talks about skin shades.

http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/200...rs-part-1.html

Yay!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2009, 07:51 AM   #2953  
Kookie Creator

Send a message via Skype™ to stampit74

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilianView Post
I am too lazy to skim over 77 pages but has anyone had ink *shining/ink building up* problems? When you color and try to blend the copics was there an instance when it shines? It usually happens with my browns or reds.
I haven't noticed this....My FAVE card-stock right now is Radiance by Beckett Expressions!!! I've used Neenah's supersmooth stocks and the Canson Manga pad too...but the Beckett is awesome! I love reds and browns too... I am only 3 markers short of owning all the reds and 3 short of owning all the browns..... next order! I'm gonna be ready for Christmas, unless they change the colors this year!! HOHOHO
I have the natural color in the Beckett Expressions too and it's wonderful also!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2009, 08:11 PM   #2954  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

My guess is that it's a paper problem. What paper are you using? this happens frequently on Coated papers or glossy papers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2009, 12:27 AM   #2955  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemarkersView Post
My guess is that it's a paper problem. What paper are you using? this happens frequently on Coated papers or glossy papers.
Hi Marianne! I used the Neenah Classic papers (cream or white) I am not sure if it's the smooth or super smooth as I stamped the images earlier and just color them when I feel like it. The ink turns *gucky* - do I need to change the nib?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2009, 06:03 AM   #2956  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Hi Marianne! I used the Neenah Classic papers (cream or white) I am not sure if it's the smooth or super smooth as I stamped the images earlier and just color them when I feel like it. The ink turns *gucky* - do I need to change the nib?
I've had this problem as well, primarily w/the BV's (using PTI cardstock, as well as Neenah). I can usually fix it by lightly using the blender pen to remove the slick, but yeah, I noticed it a couple of time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 09:37 AM   #2957  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by nayttapView Post
I'll take Oozak's lowest prices on the web and free shipping at $50 plus their excellent customer service anyday over the ability to return markers. Go to Blick and look at the colors if you are not sure, or trade on here among friends when this happens.........I'm an Oozak fan--and I understand their return policy.........
I totally agree. Rusty's customer service has been fantastic on all orders I have placed with him and his shipping is super fast compared to other places I have ordered.

Ronda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #2958  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanvmView Post
I've had this problem as well, primarily w/the BV's (using PTI cardstock, as well as Neenah). I can usually fix it by lightly using the blender pen to remove the slick, but yeah, I noticed it a couple of time.
Thanks for the reponse Stampaholic! Nice to know I'm not the only one.. makes me wonder *if* it's a nib problem
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 06:22 AM   #2959  
Cardstock Collector

I am new to Copics and have th eopportunity to go to a class to learn. I want to know if you ladies this this is a good price. Class 10 am to 5pm Cost $240 and you come away with 36 copic markers... What do you all think? Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 06:31 AM   #2960  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Thanks for the reponse Stampaholic! Nice to know I'm not the only one.. makes me wonder *if* it's a nib problem
Lilian - I'm not sure that it's a nib issue, as the very same marker that caused it on one image, didn't cause it when I colored again a couple of days later (same image, same paper). I truly don't know what to make of it.
Reply With Quote Likes