Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-08-2009, 07:22 PM   #3161  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I've seen it and it might be in this thread, but I haven't been able to find it... I'm looking for tips/tricks/tutorials on adding highlights with white gel pens. Can anyone direct me in where to go?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2009, 07:51 AM   #3162  
Kookie Creator

Anyone out there? I don't want to be a thread killer! This is such a wonderful and informative thread and has indulged my new addiction for copics!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2009, 08:10 AM   #3163  
Kookie Creator

Sorry, can't help.

I haven't used white gel pens - I usually use lack of color for highlights. Sometimes I remove color with the blender or the new super light shades.

My site: Paper Garden Projects
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #3164  
Inking Addict

Have you checked out the Elizabeth Craft Designs web site? They are the ones that make the stickers that "call" for the gel pens. This might help. Also, the stickers are awesome, if you haven't tried them, they're worth it. I'm going to post a card I just finished using their cat stickers later this morining. So check out my gallery (as they don't belong in any of the other places I think). Good luck, Chris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #3165  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindseyholView Post
I know I've seen it and it might be in this thread, but I haven't been able to find it... I'm looking for tips/tricks/tutorials on adding highlights with white gel pens. Can anyone direct me in where to go?
I know I've seen tips in Suzanne's tutorials at: http://scrapbitz.blogspot.com/
She's great and very helpful. She uses them in the hair ones, clothing, etc. I'm also trying to remember if Marianne Walker does as well, because Copic actually makes an opaque white paint to use for highlights. Her blog is: http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/ Either one of those should be helpful.

Good luck!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2009, 11:59 AM   #3166  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindseyholView Post
Anyone out there? I don't want to be a thread killer! This is such a wonderful and informative thread and has indulged my new addiction for copics!
I'm here! I too love Copics!

Hugs,
Barbara
Copic Certified Designer
http://copicbuzz.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #3167  
Matboard Maniac

Default Copic and CTMH Ink Colors????????????

I've seen the many comparison charts/info for for using Copics and matching
Stampin' Up! Inks, but I've never seen anyone do a comparison using
Close To My Heart inks.
Since I have CTMH inks, I'm hoping someone can help.
Thanks so much in advance,
Jeannie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2009, 01:40 PM   #3168  
Glitter Queen

Default Good place to buy copics

I just started buying my copic markers from http://scrapbookingalley.com
The sketch markers are $4.87 each and the Ciao are $3.22 each. Thats not the best part though they have no tax and free shipping on scrapbook supplies including copics without a minimum order amount. They have also shipped my order within 2 days of the order. Anyway, thought that i would share this great information with all of you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2009, 04:57 PM   #3169  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris bjornstedtView Post
Have you checked out the Elizabeth Craft Designs web site? They are the ones that make the stickers that "call" for the gel pens. This might help. Also, the stickers are awesome, if you haven't tried them, they're worth it. I'm going to post a card I just finished using their cat stickers later this morining. So check out my gallery (as they don't belong in any of the other places I think). Good luck, Chris
Not what I was looking for, but really cool none the less! Thank you and your kitty card is really cute!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2009, 05:07 PM   #3170  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetostamp3View Post
I know I've seen tips in Suzanne's tutorials at: http://scrapbitz.blogspot.com/
She's great and very helpful. She uses them in the hair ones, clothing, etc. I'm also trying to remember if Marianne Walker does as well, because Copic actually makes an opaque white paint to use for highlights. Her blog is: http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/ Either one of those should be helpful.

Good luck!!!!
Suzanne's blog is the best, I've spent the better part of my afternoon watching her tutorials with my daughter, she is ooh and ahhing along with me. She has some great videos, in the end of most of these she adds her little touches with the white pen. I will have to look for one of the sharpies. I have enjoyed Marianne's blog as well, she is such a wealth of information and talent... I feel a little cheated with her living so close, yet so far away from me ;~ ) It looks like she lives about an hour away from me!

Now Barbara... My oh my, your blog and the copic buzz planet site.... So cute, and this is where I think I'll be spending the rest of my evening!
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 08:34 AM   #3171  
Forum Fanatic

I have tried the extra fine white Sharpie paint pen and do not like it...I read Suzanne's blog again, then, and noticed she called it a POSTER paint pen, so I don't know if that is different...I have looked for a Sharpie poster paint pen and haven't found it locally.
The problem I have is that, no matter how much I shake it and prep the tip, it comes out so thin that it dries practically clear, not white. If I go over the same spot about 10 times it will finally be visible. I am not kidding, btw!
Or, alternatively, it completely BLOBS a big white spot on my image (arrrrgh!)
I like the gel pens (such as SU's or Inksentials) because of that, but then they sometimes are hard to use also (the ink doesn't always flow smoothly).
So the jury is still out for me

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 09:25 AM   #3172  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by nottoocreativeView Post
I have tried the extra fine white Sharpie paint pen and do not like it...I read Suzanne's blog again, then, and noticed she called it a POSTER paint pen, so I don't know if that is different...I have looked for a Sharpie poster paint pen and haven't found it locally.
The problem I have is that, no matter how much I shake it and prep the tip, it comes out so thin that it dries practically clear, not white. If I go over the same spot about 10 times it will finally be visible. I am not kidding, btw!
Or, alternatively, it completely BLOBS a big white spot on my image (arrrrgh!)
I like the gel pens (such as SU's or Inksentials) because of that, but then they sometimes are hard to use also (the ink doesn't always flow smoothly).
So the jury is still out for me
I got the Sharpie poster paint pen (not fine tip) at Hobby Lobby in the art supply section. It was near the posterboards. It is a water based pen, and very opaque. I haven't used it too much, but it really is more like the old "paint pens" that you got to mark on t-shirts. If you are trying to use it for fine details in stamped images, I don't think it would work too well.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 10:58 AM   #3173  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I got the Sharpie poster paint pen (not fine tip) at Hobby Lobby in the art supply section. It was near the posterboards. It is a water based pen, and very opaque. I haven't used it too much, but it really is more like the old "paint pens" that you got to mark on t-shirts. If you are trying to use it for fine details in stamped images, I don't think it would work too well.
Thanks, Bugga. I don't have a Hobby Lobby nearby, but next time I am near one I'll check it out. Suzanne did say it was an EXTRA FINE poster paint pen, so that may work if it wasn't the fat tip like you're using...just need to find one!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 11:25 AM   #3174  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!

Okay, a copic newbie here!! I just bought my first 12 sketch markers on Saturday! I love them! I bought 5 browns, 3 greens, 2 grays and the colorless blender. I color mostly critters so I thought that was a safe place to start. Then I came home, used them, and ordered 19 more from Carpe Diem. I'm in love!

I first colored a digital image from a laser printer on GP white card stock. I noticed that it bled outside the lines easily. So I colored away from the edge so it bled right to the edge. Then I stamped an image on PTI white and what a difference! I have 2 photo boxes filled with stamped images from Wish RAK so I want to still be able to use all of those. But going forward, I am going to print out all my digis on PTI when I want to color them with copics.

I discovered the ilikemarkers blog and I printed out all of her tutorials for future reference. Some people are so talented! I have been coloring with Prismacolor pencils and baby oil and I have always been pleased with my results but my curiosity got the best of me. I will always use my pencils but now I have another choice.

My first copic card will be posted on my blog on Thursday, so be sure to stop by and check it out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 12:14 PM   #3175  
Insane Embellisher

Default Welcome to the Copic World!

Quote:

Originally Posted by djuselessView Post
Okay, a copic newbie here!! I just bought my first 12 sketch markers on Saturday! I love them! I bought 5 browns, 3 greens, 2 grays and the colorless blender. I color mostly critters so I thought that was a safe place to start. Then I came home, used them, and ordered 19 more from Carpe Diem. I'm in love!

I first colored a digital image from a laser printer on GP white card stock. I noticed that it bled outside the lines easily. So I colored away from the edge so it bled right to the edge. Then I stamped an image on PTI white and what a difference! I have 2 photo boxes filled with stamped images from Wish RAK so I want to still be able to use all of those. But going forward, I am going to print out all my digis on PTI when I want to color them with copics.

I discovered the ilikemarkers blog and I printed out all of her tutorials for future reference. Some people are so talented! I have been coloring with Prismacolor pencils and baby oil and I have always been pleased with my results but my curiosity got the best of me. I will always use my pencils but now I have another choice.

My first copic card will be posted on my blog on Thursday, so be sure to stop by and check it out!
How wonderful! Enjoy your new coloring tool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2009, 04:41 AM   #3176  
Compulsive Stamper

I tried PTI because I heard so many good things about it. But I found that it soaks up ink and doesn't blend as well as Neenah.

Though, it sure is a lot cheaper!

I've also heard things about Prism Simply Smooth..Wondering if anyone has tried this?

Hugs!
Barbara
Copic Certified Designer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2009, 06:53 AM   #3177  
Glitter Queen

Hi, I'm a copic newbie too. There seems to be a lot of great advice on here and wondered if anyone could help me. I'm trying to find the best paper / cardstock to use with my copics the problem is i'm in the UK so am struggling to find something suitable (I've seen loads of suggestions but I can't easily get them in the UK).

Thanks
Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2009, 06:58 AM   #3178  
Compulsive Stamper

Hi Twin Mummy,
There are a lot of girls from UK in our Copic Buzz group. I'll ask them where they get their paper and ink supplies in UK..
Hugs,
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 05:24 AM   #3179  
Compulsive Stamper

This was from Amanda

Hello just responding to the request for paper in the UK - I get mine from Tesco it is about £3.00 for 50 sheets not had any problems with it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2009, 07:15 AM   #3180  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!

Here's my first copic card:

http://uselesscrafts.blogspot.com/20...ing-leaps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2009, 09:46 AM   #3181  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrap2dayView Post
I tried PTI because I heard so many good things about it. But I found that it soaks up ink and doesn't blend as well as Neenah.

Though, it sure is a lot cheaper!

I've also heard things about Prism Simply Smooth..Wondering if anyone has tried this?

Hugs!
Barbara
Copic Certified Designer
I love the prism simply smooth! I have so much trouble finding it up here in Canada, but I love it!! I think a lot of times, determining what paper "works" best is how you the person does their blending.

Char
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2009, 09:49 AM   #3182  
Kookie Creator

Each paper type is going to feel really different when you switch between types. Prism blends very differently than Neenah or PTI. it's all a matter of personal preference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2009, 03:33 PM   #3183  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinmummyView Post
Hi, I'm a copic newbie too. There seems to be a lot of great advice on here and wondered if anyone could help me. I'm trying to find the best paper / cardstock to use with my copics the problem is i'm in the UK so am struggling to find something suitable (I've seen loads of suggestions but I can't easily get them in the UK).

Thanks
Heather

Hey,

I would suggest the stamping paper that Copic just recently add to the collection (I use size A4). I use the paper and it is WONDERFUL...it does not bleed through the paper and it require less ink. I think you can email them and request the international flat rate shipping for like $14 or $18 something. This is what my other friend did. Hope this help.

P.S. iCopic is having a Halloween weekend sale starting today until 10/27/2009. The information is below, hope this helps during this hard time for those who still want to splurge on Copic.

SAVE5 - $5 off $55
SAVE10 - $10 off $95 w/ Free Shipping
SAVE25 - $25 off $215 w/ Free Shipping

Friends Don't Let Friends Pay Full Price. )

xoxo,
Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2009, 05:53 PM   #3184  
Polyshrink Goddess

I liked the Gina K paper, my only problem is that I'd smear my stamped image because the paper is so smooth.

I get serious bleeding with georgia paciffic.

PTI works perfectly for me but it does take a little more ink.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2009, 06:39 PM   #3185  
Matboard Maniac

I'm a copic newbie also. I bought three shades of red and three shades of green plus a few others. I stamp my images on Gina K's Pure Luxury 120lb cardstock; if I start by colouring parts of my image with the red (R29) the use other copics to finish my image, any copic colour seems to bleed if it comes into contact with my red copic colour. Anyone else have this happen? I tried to let my red dry for 10-15 minutes but to no avail. So now I use my red copic last.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #3186  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just got my first copics! Yeah! Love them - they color so nice. Here's my first copic notecard....

http://stamp2stamp2.blogspot.com/200...-penguins.html

thks for looking

rita w
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2009, 02:44 AM   #3187  
Glitter Queen

Smile Thank you

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrap2dayView Post
This was from Amanda

Hello just responding to the request for paper in the UK - I get mine from Tesco it is about £3.00 for 50 sheets not had any problems with it
Hi Amanda, thank you so much. I was just beginning to wonder whether I had made a really expensive mistake but wow, now I've got a cardstock that works I am so impressed with my copics! Definitely not a mistake! I just need to get better at shading (especially working out shadows and light!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2009, 09:18 AM   #3188  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyansMom4EverView Post
I'm a copic newbie also. I bought three shades of red and three shades of green plus a few others. I stamp my images on Gina K's Pure Luxury 120lb cardstock; if I start by colouring parts of my image with the red (R29) the use other copics to finish my image, any copic colour seems to bleed if it comes into contact with my red copic colour. Anyone else have this happen? I tried to let my red dry for 10-15 minutes but to no avail. So now I use my red copic last.
The dense red dye is VERY strong. It wants to flow once you have something next to it or if you are on softer papers. I was working on the wrong paper once and I thought it was fine until I got to coloring with that deep red. Wow what a mess! You really have to go lightly with the dark reds especially on cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2009, 04:28 PM   #3189  
Embossing Fanatic

I took the class back in July I finally had time to create with the set. My blending is not there yet, so I looking for some tips on mastering the blending..
Let me know what you think of my card
http://cuttlebugchallenge.blogspot.c...tlebug_27.html
TFL
Maggie

Cutting Above blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2009, 09:05 AM   #3190  
Pearl-ExPert

I read a posting on this thread back in early September that someone else was having a problem with the ink bleeding when using GP white card stock. Jeanne suggested letting the lighter base color dry before applying your darker colors for shading. First, how long does it take to dry? Second, if you have tried it, does the bleeding stop?

I just have tons (2 photo boxes) full of stamped images from Wish RAK that I want to be able to use with my copics. If the ink smears, that's because they used the wrong type of ink but I want the color to stop bleeding.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2009, 10:07 AM   #3191  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

I just have tons (2 photo boxes) full of stamped images from Wish RAK that I want to be able to use with my copics. If the ink smears, that's because they used the wrong type of ink but I want the color to stop bleeding.
Not necessarily. If the ink smears, they may have used the "wrong" ink, but the bleeding is because of the paper, not the ink. People seem to have widely varying results with various papers. I know, for example, that lots of Copic users love Neenah Classic Crest Solar White paper, but when I use it, the colors bleed a lot (reds, but not *just* reds). I switched to Gina K. Pure Luxury (either weight) and I get no bleeding at all. In both cases, I've used Memento Tuxedo Black ink.
SCS Fan Club Member
Color Challenge Team Member
QFTD215
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2009, 10:32 AM   #3192  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I read a posting on this thread back in early September that someone else was having a problem with the ink bleeding when using GP white card stock. Jeanne suggested letting the lighter base color dry before applying your darker colors for shading. First, how long does it take to dry? Second, if you have tried it, does the bleeding stop?

I personally would blast the cardstock with my heat gun - don't burn it, but it will ensure that there isn't any dampness in the cardstock which should help with any bleeding issues.

Even if we are having a dry spell I have noticed that my cardstock behaves better if I give it a quick blast (as if embossing) with the heat gun before proceding.

Its definitely worth a try IMO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2009, 05:08 AM   #3193  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by bejoyceView Post
Not necessarily. If the ink smears, they may have used the "wrong" ink, but the bleeding is because of the paper, not the ink. People seem to have widely varying results with various papers. I know, for example, that lots of Copic users love Neenah Classic Crest Solar White paper, but when I use it, the colors bleed a lot (reds, but not *just* reds). I switched to Gina K. Pure Luxury (either weight) and I get no bleeding at all. In both cases, I've used Memento Tuxedo Black ink.
I have no problem with PTI card stock (except that I need to order more soon). I have printed out digital images on a laser printer and I have used Memento Tuxedo Black too. I just was hoping that I could use some of those wonderful images for my copics and not just with my Prismacolor pencils. If I can't, then I will start requested copic images from Wish RAK and start another photo box just for those images!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 06:30 AM   #3194  
Pearl-ExPert

Okay, I did some copic "testing" last night. I stamped a ton of images using Memento Tuxedo Black ink on GP white card stock and I colored one without it bleeding! YEAH! Cool, I can use GP card stock for my stamped images! I am going to be wishing for more copic images now!

Then I tried coloring a digital image printed from a laser printer on GP card stock; it bled really bad. So tonight I am going to try and heat set an image and then color it. I do not have any problem when I use PTI cardstock for digital images but that can get expensive over time. I am really hoping that I can use my GP cardstock for everything especially since I am on a digital DT.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 07:52 AM   #3195  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Okay, I did some copic "testing" last night. I stamped a ton of images using Memento Tuxedo Black ink on GP white card stock and I colored one without it bleeding! YEAH! Cool, I can use GP card stock for my stamped images! I am going to be wishing for more copic images now!

Then I tried coloring a digital image printed from a laser printer on GP card stock; it bled really bad. So tonight I am going to try and heat set an image and then color it. I do not have any problem when I use PTI cardstock for digital images but that can get expensive over time. I am really hoping that I can use my GP cardstock for everything especially since I am on a digital DT.
Hi Diane! I don't know if you recorded what inks and paper were sent to you from WRAK? I always pencil in on the back, if it's not something Copic-friendly. Versafine can be used, btw, but sometimes it does bleed a bit, especially with yellows, so heat setting isn't a bad idea. The approved white papers on WRAK are supposed to be okay for Copics.
HTH!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 08:03 AM   #3196  
Pearl-ExPert

Lynn, unfortunately, I don't save the info slips for my wish images so I don't know what inks were used. I guess that I will give them a try if I really want to color one of the ones I already have. I will start another box for copic ones though.

Do you think heat setting my digital images will help? Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 04:30 AM   #3197  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Do you think heat setting my digital images will help? Does anyone have any other suggestions?
If your digital images are laser printed, then it isn't their ink that is the problem. Once that image goes through the 'fuser assembly' it isn't going anywhere.

However, if you live in a humid area (and with all the rain we've been getting in the Northeast, this has been my problem even with the best paper! You should take a craft iron to your paper before coloring. Just zap out that water.

However, if you are using 'soft' paper like GP it is much easier to over-saturate that type of paper when coloring. In my mind, I imagine touching a felt tip marker to newsprint - you just cannot control where it is going to go. GP isn't as bad as newsprint, but it does pretty much set you up for failure.

Look for an Xpedx retail store. You can get a ream of Neenah Classic Crest in Solar White for about $30+. That is 250 sheets of 8 1/2 x 11 and it's less than ten cents a sheet. I seem to have an auto-pilot track between my house and the one in West Hartford, CT.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 08:46 AM   #3198  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkyheartView Post
If your digital images are laser printed, then it isn't their ink that is the problem. Once that image goes through the 'fuser assembly' it isn't going anywhere.

However, if you live in a humid area (and with all the rain we've been getting in the Northeast, this has been my problem even with the best paper! You should take a craft iron to your paper before coloring. Just zap out that water.

However, if you are using 'soft' paper like GP it is much easier to over-saturate that type of paper when coloring. In my mind, I imagine touching a felt tip marker to newsprint - you just cannot control where it is going to go. GP isn't as bad as newsprint, but it does pretty much set you up for failure.

Look for an Xpedx retail store. You can get a ream of Neenah Classic Crest in Solar White for about $30+. That is 250 sheets of 8 1/2 x 11 and it's less than ten cents a sheet. I seem to have an auto-pilot track between my house and the one in West Hartford, CT.
Great info! thanks

ps: what weight, I found 24 and 80
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 08:57 AM   #3199  
Gabfest Goddess

Ok found this site: but which one?

http://www.neenahpaper.com/itemlisti...STc&b=15&c=SWT

help please, Lynn.
thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 09:09 AM   #3200  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by davesgramView Post
Great info! thanks

ps: what weight, I found 24 and 80

You can buy it here for 25.00
http://www.paperworks.com/Merchant2/...oduct_Count=52

You need 80#
Reply With Quote Likes