Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-08-2009, 07:04 AM   #2241  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan_TView Post
Lynn,
Cute card. Love your coloring.
thank you, I worked hard on that one! (the coloring, not the card itself so much)

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 07:51 AM   #2242  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Hobby Lobby & copics

Do all the Hobby Lobby stores carry the same copic colors? Or do they vary from one store to another?

Janet
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 08:45 AM   #2243  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by nottoocreativeView Post
I've done this too, it's awesome (you can use Sharpies, too, btw)...I've colored all kinds of things, actually--even Liquid Applique after it puffed up. It was TOO white on my brown bunny, so I touched it up with E31 (I think) and it looked more subtle then.
(I colored the rest with Copics, too, of course)

Beautiful card! Such a great job coloring and shading! Love the bunny too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #2244  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Great cards, J-Bo and RiverIsis! RiverIsis, I'm not sure what you are asking about the size, as it looked like normal to me, but for me I change my pictures to about 600x400 pixels before uploading...maybe you didn't do that?
:lol: because the card is larger on my screen than it is in person! :lol: that's why the size threw me.:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #2245  
Matboard Maniac

Lynn, cute card! I love your idea of coloring over the Liquid Applique.

I'm in misery here. I have a delivery of 22 Copics sitting on my doorstep, just waiting for me to get home. I have to cover someone else's desk and phone until 4:30 today, so I can't leave early. I hope they aren't too lonely without me...;) FedEx's tracking information says they were delivered at 10:53 this morning. I wanna go home!

I guess if that's my biggest problem today, I should be more thankful.

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 02:20 PM   #2246  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I've done this too, it's awesome (you can use Sharpies, too, btw)...I've colored all kinds of things, actually--even Liquid Applique after it puffed up. It was TOO white on my brown bunny, so I touched it up with E31 (I think) and it looked more subtle then.
(I colored the rest with Copics, too, of course)

That is just too cute! beautiful just beautiful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #2247  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by VintagechickView Post
Lynn, cute card! I love your idea of coloring over the Liquid Applique.

I'm in misery here. I have a delivery of 22 Copics sitting on my doorstep, just waiting for me to get home. I have to cover someone else's desk and phone until 4:30 today, so I can't leave early. I hope they aren't too lonely without me...;) FedEx's tracking information says they were delivered at 10:53 this morning. I wanna go home!

I guess if that's my biggest problem today, I should be more thankful.

Cindy
Oh no! Hate it when things like that happen....the hours seem to go by so slowly! Hope you get home soon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #2248  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by mschoenerView Post
I did that over the weekend. Started looking at all the posts only I printed off all the ones that were directions on how to do things. I'm going to put them all in a binder and organize them so I can find what I need when I need it without having to thumb through pages of stuff.
I have some of it printed and could have at my old job BUT not my new one or I'd do the same thing. I suppose I could fill my inkjet and do it at home. Haha, get so used to your work PC to print.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 09:59 PM   #2249  
Embossing Fanatic

Default I need ideas on cardstock!

So I have tried everything I can think of.... and still my images are bleeding when I use my Copics! What cardstock can I use? I need to be able to obtain some type of cardstock for my Copics that is not at a prohibitive price. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2009, 12:36 AM   #2250  
Stampin' Fool

Heat set your ink. I use Georgia Pacific and found it works better when the ink is heat set. You can also try embossing before coloring but I haven't tried that yet. I just got my copics recently and never had the same problem with prismacolors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2009, 05:41 AM   #2251  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomofonesonView Post
Heat set your ink. I use Georgia Pacific and found it works better when the ink is heat set. You can also try embossing before coloring but I haven't tried that yet. I just got my copics recently and never had the same problem with prismacolors.
I did try embossing before coloring and I really did not like the results. I will give heat setting a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2009, 06:59 AM   #2252  
Quacker Stamper

Received 1,085 Likes on 864 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Love ScrappingView Post
So I have tried everything I can think of.... and still my images are bleeding when I use my Copics! What cardstock can I use? I need to be able to obtain some type of cardstock for my Copics that is not at a prohibitive price. Any ideas?
Maybe it's your ink and not the cardstock. I'm using PTI with Memento Black ink. I've used it on Gina K c/s too. I've also used the Stampendous Black ink which works well, but it's more of a dark gray than black.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2009, 07:02 AM   #2253  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

What ink and paper are you using? I use GP white from WalMart, not prohibitively priced at all...works with Memento ink for sure, others if they are heat set.
I have Prismacolor markers, also, and find the Copics are actually better, in my experience (as far as not bleeding)

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln

Last edited by nottoocreative; 04-09-2009 at 07:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2009, 07:03 AM   #2254  
Forum Fanatic

Default StaZon

OK, I thought everyone said you couldn't use StaZon with Copics, but I did it last night and it worked just great!!! woo hoo! I am so excited because I got this image in a RAK and tried watercoloring it first---AAACK! It was stamped in Olive Green StaZon
Attached Thumbnails
Copic Chatter-jungle_bg_copics.jpg  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2009, 07:06 AM   #2255  
Stazon Splitcoast

Also leave your image a bit before colouring. I went to color in an image the other day that I had stamped on GP with my trusty Palette ink and it bled.

As I wanted to work with that image right away I decide to try the heat setting and VOILA! it worked.

So my advice now is to have a scrap bit of that cardstock and stamp your image and then try the inks and see if it is going to bleed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2009, 07:08 AM   #2256  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

OK, I thought everyone said you couldn't use StaZon with Copics, but I did it last night and it worked just great!!! woo hoo! I am so excited because I got this image in a RAK and tried watercoloring it first---AAACK! It was stamped in Olive Green StaZon
Nice one - didn't they say it has to do with the chemicals reacting? I remember being warned off Stazon but can't for the life of me remember why.:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2009, 07:14 AM   #2257  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

What ink and paper are you using? I use GP white from WalMart, not prohibitively priced at all...works with Memento ink for sure, others if they are heat set.
I have Prismacolor markers, also, and find the Copics are actually better, in my experience (as far as not bleeding)
I have used Stampin Up cardstock, regular cardstock from Michael's, Watercoloring paper, stampin up ink, Rangers black ink. Have not used Stazon. I will try that and heat setting as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2009, 07:23 AM   #2258  
Mad Swapper

I use Gina K with Memento and stamp and start coloring immediatly and have never had any bleeding. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2009, 08:06 AM   #2259  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I have used Stampin Up cardstock, regular cardstock from Michael's, Watercoloring paper, stampin up ink, Rangers black ink. Have not used Stazon. I will try that and heat setting as well.
It sounds like you just haven't found a paper & ink combo that works for you yet. I prefer Neenah Classic Crest Solar White, but I do have Georgia Pacific to practice on and it works well. As far as ink is concerned, I have tested TONS of inks and my faves are Memento Tuxedo Black and Brilliance Graphite Black (heat setting required for this one). Brilliance is my favorite because of the nice, crisp, clean image.

You're probably not going to get the best results from watercolor paper...it's a little too porous. Try something with a smoother, tighter surface. Do you have any SU Very Vanilla to practice on? That would work also...it doesn't have that coating that Whisper White has and seems to take the ink better. Hope that helps a little!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2009, 05:58 AM   #2260  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

None of those are really the "recommended" ones, so that might be why you are having trouble. Don't know about Rangers ink, but the SU definitely bleeds. StaZon worked for me but others have said it won't, so it may not...Memento and embossing (with clear ep) are the best bets, others need to be heat set or dry for a week! The Rangers might work if you heat set it. Watercolor paper does not bleed but it DOES suck up the ink, like Steubner said. So if it bled on you, it was the ink. The GP from WalMart might be the easiest and cheapest bet for you!
HTH!?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #2261  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Lynn, that is awesome coloring!! You're way better than I, are you sure you need a class?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2009, 06:20 PM   #2262  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2,549 Likes on 1,518 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Fantastic job!! :-D
Caterina www.colesfoundation.org www.colespages.com www.kidsunitetofight.com Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks. America will only be the land of the free so long as it is the home of the Brave https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...t-t339556.html
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2009, 07:05 AM   #2263  
Forum Fanatic

Thanks, guys, you are too kind! I see all the things I could do better. I do like how the foliage turned out, thanks to the blog person who recommended these colors (YG03 + YG93-99)! I forgot who, now--sorry :(

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #2264  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Inks

I just thought I'd in my 2 cents of info to the topic of using Stazon ink. The problem is not that it will bleed, it is that the ink is oil-based and can ruin your Copic markers. I took the Copic Certification class and we were advised never to use or have our students use Stazon because it could gunk up your marker tips and could be absorbed into your alcohol ink and ruin it. I don't know if you wipe your marker clean on paper after use if it will help prevent this or not. Memento seems to be the best for most people with Copics if you don't want to heat set the ink before you color- which I don't have the patience to do.
As for paper, I have not tried GP but have tried many others and the Neenah Classic Crest works best for me (80#). Coated papers like SU do not work as well because the ink just sits on top and soft papers like watercolor paper allow too much ink to soak in-- not only does this dry out your marker faster but it can be hard to blend because it soaks in so fast.
I hope this helps someone out there! Happy Coloring!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2009, 05:55 PM   #2265  
Hardware Hotshot

I seem to use a lot of pinks and I'm looking for some nice pastels. I already own RV02, RV10, RV13, RV21, RV23, R02, R11, R20, R81, R83, E00, E02.

I'm thinking of getting RV00, RV32, RV34, RV42, and R30. Are any of these really close together with each other or what I already have? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Wild Rose Stamper blog
SCS gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #2266  
Forum Fanatic

Thanks for clarifying that, the story I had heard was that it had the same base as the Copics and therefore would just blend in like a Copic would. I hadn't heard that the oil in it could ruin your marker tips!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LPCraftingView Post
I just thought I'd in my 2 cents of info to the topic of using Stazon ink. The problem is not that it will bleed, it is that the ink is oil-based and can ruin your Copic markers. I took the Copic Certification class and we were advised never to use or have our students use Stazon because it could gunk up your marker tips and could be absorbed into your alcohol ink and ruin it. I don't know if you wipe your marker clean on paper after use if it will help prevent this or not. Memento seems to be the best for most people with Copics if you don't want to heat set the ink before you color- which I don't have the patience to do.
As for paper, I have not tried GP but have tried many others and the Neenah Classic Crest works best for me (80#). Coated papers like SU do not work as well because the ink just sits on top and soft papers like watercolor paper allow too much ink to soak in-- not only does this dry out your marker faster but it can be hard to blend because it soaks in so fast.
I hope this helps someone out there! Happy Coloring!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2009, 03:27 PM   #2267  
Crimping Master

I have heard that Stazon will not only bleed, but stain your markers as well...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2009, 08:54 PM   #2268  
Die Cut Diva

I've seen some chatter about using the copics with Staples cardstock.

Is anyone using this and if so what ink are you using? I would really like to be able to stick with this paper for cost reasons.

I've just ordered my first copics and am wondering what inkpad to get....Brilliance or Memento or another?

Also, is the dark brown the same ink as the black? I know for example, with SU, that the coloured inks aren't the same as the black. What colour would you recommend of each? Currently I use Staz-on and SU and from what I've read these may not work too well.

Would be happy to hear from you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2009, 09:01 PM   #2269  
Stampin' Fool

Staples paper is OK with copics. I have only used it with Memento Tuxedo Black ink, though, so I do NOT know about Brillance.

The Memento inks are all the same, I believe. I think you could use the Black and the Brown with no problems.

I know what you are referring to with the SU! Black. That is their only pad in the Classic group that is waterproof. But even the SU! black will not be good for copics. I have tried it and it smears.

Personally, I have switched to Memento for stamping everything. That way, I never have to worry about how I decide to color the image.

I believe that the BRILLANCE will need to be heat set.

I do not have to do that with Memento.

HTH

Last edited by kitty14; 04-13-2009 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: added info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 03:18 AM   #2270  
Matboard Maniac

You've all helped me so much-can I possibly ask for so more help?

I'm beginning my collection and trying to get groups of colours as advised. I like browns, pinks and blues primarilly.

I already have RV 10, RV11, RV13. I like the look of other RV's, RV00, RV02, RV04, RV06 and also RV 21, RV23 and RV25. Are these all too similar to those I already have or if I like pinks it's OK to get the whole family eventually?

I only have 2 yellows-Y21 and Y23, any suggestions as to other useful yellows-flowers etc.

I have only 1 blue-B00. I read that the B90's are good for denims etc. Is getting these a good idea?

I'd like some of the V's. How about V01, V04 and Vo6 to start-would that work? Flowers, dresses etc.

With reds I have R20 and R22. Should i continue with R24 and R27 even R29 or go for R81, R83 and R85?

Best leave it here for now..a big ask already! Sorry about this, I am reading blogs etc all the time and they are SO helpful but I still struggle when blogs recommend to get say yellows in 3 numbers really far apart from each other-ie no sequence for blending.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 04:38 AM   #2271  
Stazon Splitcoast

Somehow I can understand having yellows apart - I know I recently colored some bits and pieces and decided to use the low yellows so was using Y00, Y02, Y06, Y08 there wasn't a lot of visual difference for me which was fine for what I was doing.

I can highly recommend the R24, R27, R29 as these are reds I go to regularly as a "red" - though I probably don't have anything on my gallery just yet and I tend to use R24 as the high light color, R27, R29 as the main color and blend and then either R37 or R46 as the shadowed part. Because there is a large jump in these last two I decide whether the shadow would have a harsh border and blend accordingly. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 04:57 AM   #2272  
Compulsive Stamper

Another vote for staples CS with the memento ink. It works great here, and I really like it!

Char
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 05:03 AM   #2273  
Glitter Queen

Hi,
I just have seen the beauty of copic markers but I do not know where to buy them at the least expensive rate.. I will need to buy them individually a little at a time beacause of my budget but can't wait to start if anyone could p.m. me some websites that would be great. Does hobby Lobby carry them? Thanks, Nan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 05:30 AM   #2274  
Quacker Stamper

Nan, I've found that http://www.carpediemstore.com/ has the best selection. I don't think I've ever seen them be out of stock of any of the Sketch markers. I've purchased from them a number of times. Right now they still have their markers at $3.95 although it won't show up until you actually purchase 1 and it goes in your cart. H.L. does carry them, but only a limited amount and they are abour $6.49 now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 08:00 AM   #2275  
Kookie Creator

I bought most of mine at Carpe Diem, too, but if she is just getting a couple at a time that may not be the best route to go because of their S&H. I don't have a Hobby Lobby near my but when I was on vacation in December the one there had their art markers on sale several times for 30% off. You might watch for that. Does Hobby Lobby do coupons like JoAnn's and Micheals (which do NOT carry Copics)?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 08:42 AM   #2276  
Quacker Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedPixieView Post
I bought most of mine at Carpe Diem, too, but if she is just getting a couple at a time that may not be the best route to go because of their S&H. I don't have a Hobby Lobby near my but when I was on vacation in December the one there had their art markers on sale several times for 30% off. You might watch for that. Does Hobby Lobby do coupons like JoAnn's and Micheals (which do NOT carry Copics)?
H.L. does do coupons which are usually 40% off, but it's only for 1 item, so you'd have to get 1 marker at a time. :( I bought quite a few when they had them 30% off around Christmas. Here's a link to their sales for this week with the 40% off coupon if anyone is interested.

http://us.mc839.mail.yahoo.com/mc/sh...eF17wDVEBteuZU,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 09:16 AM   #2277  
Stazon Splitcoast

I would agree if you can't get them at bricks and mortar stores (remember they are art markers so try art supply stores etc) then you really need to look at getting sets or groups as big as sets to get a sufficient amount of blending AND be worth the shipping and handling.

Last edited by RiverIsis; 04-14-2009 at 09:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #2278  
Matboard Maniac

I don't know if this helps at all as it's a UK place but thought I'd mention them anyway in case it helps. I hope it's allowed to mention these? Sorry if it isn't, I don't always fully understand all the rules.

I buy my Copics from Cult pens-

http://www.cultpens.com/index.html

Vry good prices, great range of both Ciao and Sketch and free Uk shipping over a �10 spend which is great. They do ship worldwide too.

They are really fast shipping too-I've literally had orders arrive less than 24 hours after placing them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 10:37 AM   #2279  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Somehow I can understand having yellows apart - I know I recently colored some bits and pieces and decided to use the low yellows so was using Y00, Y02, Y06, Y08 there wasn't a lot of visual difference for me which was fine for what I was doing.

I can highly recommend the R24, R27, R29 as these are reds I go to regularly as a "red" - though I probably don't have anything on my gallery just yet and I tend to use R24 as the high light color, R27, R29 as the main color and blend and then either R37 or R46 as the shadowed part. Because there is a large jump in these last two I decide whether the shadow would have a harsh border and blend accordingly. HTH

Thank you, this is very helpful. I do struggle when there's big number differences and also when there's a massive leap in colour although no leap in number.

I wonder about the Rv's. There's RV42 then a HUGE jump to RV69 then it's RV 91.

Then RV 95 jumps to RV 99 which looks alot darker-how would you blend RV99?

I've ordered some more. I've got so much help from here and also blogs. I've also learnt to just get 2 or even 1 pen from a number group and see how I like it and if I want to go lighter or darker. I'm really pleased with my choices so far-they work for me and also when I see blogs my pens are used so I must be getting this whole Copic thing better than I first did!! I actually have read this thread page by page-every page has a gem-I'm just so grateful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 10:55 AM   #2280  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I have ordered: Copic Ciao 72pc Set - now I just have to get a blender pen, or will the prisma blender pen work for now? I have one of those. Hoping to have this by the weekend so that I can play!

So excited this is all new to me, but love the effects that it gives all the work you ladies post!

Michele
Reply With Quote Likes