Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-06-2009, 05:43 AM   #2201  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie2887View Post
My favorite greens out of what I have are
YG95 (pale olive)
YG97 (spanish olive)
G24 (willow)
G28 (ocean green)
YG17 (grass green)
Ditto on the YG95 and 97, and I like YG03 for a highlight with that; haven't tried YG17
G28 is a nice, deep green

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”--Lincoln
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #2202  
Matboard Maniac

I just realized that I don't have any orange Copics. I bought a coloring book for grown-ups at Michael's this week that has hidden birds in it. I think I'll need some oranges for beaks and feet. What do you guys recommend?

BTW, the coloring book I bought has some great images that will be fun for coloring with Copics. I also have one with architectural details. I'm not at home, so I don't know the manufacturer, but they are gorgeous! I'm going to try my Copics on the paper tonight. If the paper doesn't work well for shading, I'll take it to Kinkos to have the page copied onto my Gina K cardstock. We are going to the beach for a few days next week and this will be perfect for the evenings when everyone is watching a movie.

CindyB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #2203  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, no one yell at me - I have only used SU markers and am really looking to buy markers that would make it easier to color in my thomas kinkaid images what is the way to go? Copics or prisma color markers any thoughts and what type? and besgt place to purchase?

Signed marker clueless
Michele
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #2204  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwood17View Post
Ok, no one yell at me - I have only used SU markers and am really looking to buy markers that would make it easier to color in my thomas kinkaid images what is the way to go? Copics or prisma color markers any thoughts and what type? and besgt place to purchase?

Signed marker clueless
Michele
I say go with Copics!! (a huge plus is their refillable unlike prima's) I absolutely LOVE mine, I just ordered 78, a variety of different colors, and can't stop playing with them. I ordered 72 on ebay, and then 6 from Oozak (fantastic service and fast shipping!) but I'm about to order some more from the Carpe diem store, because their still $3.95, compared to everyone else at $4.87
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #2205  
Gabfest Goddess

Thank you!

Here is a dumb question, is there any large learning curve or is that more if you are doing the blending work?

Is there a particular type you buy? Meaning tip or what is the best for the plain coloring aspect for coloring for stamp artwork?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #2206  
Gabfest Goddess

oh there are things to look at! LOL I just want to purchase something I love to color in my stamps, I hate big decisions, LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #2207  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwood17View Post
Thank you!

Here is a dumb question, is there any large learning curve or is that more if you are doing the blending work?

Is there a particular type you buy? Meaning tip or what is the best for the plain coloring aspect for coloring for stamp artwork?
I've been coloring with mine for 2 days now, and have already started to do some blending, I am no expert at it, but i didnt think it had a huge learning curve, I think it's just one of those practice and then practice some types of things. I only use the brush end of my sketche's. The brush ends of the Ciao's are the exact same, so maybe you could start with some of those since their cheaper to get a feel for them. I bought an auction on ebay that came with 72 colors, it was a very nice assortment, now i'm just learning what colors I need, for instance, I'm finding i definately need more browns and earthy tones because alot of my stamps are animals and plants.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #2208  
Gabfest Goddess

I agree that you need to practice...I look at any good video I find, then I practice. I did an apple that I am really very proud of...particularly the shading...wish I could show...uploading illiterate...will learn soon, hopefully....but just practice....and practice...and then practice some more...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #2209  
Forum Fanatic

I dunno, if you aren't going to blend then why would you want to go with the expensive alcohol markers anyway? Other than being refillable (and, of course, lots of colors)...
she mentioned something that would make it "easier" to color in the Kinkade images. I'm not sure Copics would be easier than SU; the fine tip on the SU might actually be easier?

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”--Lincoln

Last edited by nottoocreative; 04-06-2009 at 04:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2009, 05:27 PM   #2210  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well I haev made a deal with my partner...which has ended up with him buying me 3 more markers tomorrow yay! So I go 2-3 apart from the number so I can blend? So if I have E25 I could get E27 or 28? And with my R81 get a R83 OR 84? Or should i go darker? And then what 3rd marker should I get? Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #2211  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherry107View Post
I need some guidance in STARTING Marianne's blog -it is a little overwhelming! soo much great info----any suggestions?? TIA! ALSO- it is sooo very cool how Marianne jumps on the thread with help!!!
Sherry107

I am working my way from the back to the front of her blog and as stated above, making notes in a small notebook. I make notes about the color suggestions she has for specific images, like water, skies, hair, skin, eyes, etc. I then also make notes about tips she gives us in using the markers but I put those at the beginning of my notebook. Whatever I think will help me. I keep a little tab as to what date I'm on so I know where I left off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #2212  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by I love pinkView Post
Well I haev made a deal with my partner...which has ended up with him buying me 3 more markers tomorrow yay! So I go 2-3 apart from the number so I can blend? So if I have E25 I could get E27 or 28? And with my R81 get a R83 OR 84? Or should i go darker? And then what 3rd marker should I get? Thanks
That would be correct in the E family, I'm not sure what the next few E's are but you would want one or two above or below the E25 depending on the shades you want with the E's. Same with the R's, I've only a few of those really so again, not sure of the #'s right off but if you go off of the color chart you should be able to tell somewhat what markers will blend with each other.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2009, 07:42 PM   #2213  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by missinkyfingersView Post
That would be correct in the E family, I'm not sure what the next few E's are but you would want one or two above or below the E25 depending on the shades you want with the E's. Same with the R's, I've only a few of those really so again, not sure of the #'s right off but if you go off of the color chart you should be able to tell somewhat what markers will blend with each other.
Oh yes thank you, the color chart...off to look at that now
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 06:27 AM   #2214  
Stampin' Fool

With R81 I have R83, R85 and finally a burgandy R89. My favorite pink though is my
RV11 used with RV34. I know that doesn't follow the rules, but it is purty. The RV13 is blech in my opinion. It is more hot pink. RV11 is a soft gorgeous shade. E25, E27 and E29 look good together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 06:44 AM   #2215  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by nottoocreativeView Post
I dunno, if you aren't going to blend then why would you want to go with the expensive alcohol markers anyway? Other than being refillable (and, of course, lots of colors)...
she mentioned something that would make it "easier" to color in the Kinkade images. I'm not sure Copics would be easier than SU; the fine tip on the SU might actually be easier?
Thank you! you ladies have given me things to think about! I so appreciate that. I want to be able to color and go, but I do also spend time shading in my Kinkaid stamps and such I am getting good at some detail and using the lighter and darker colors. Like bricks and walls I add some white and some dimension and lots of shading. do they sell these at Michaels or AC Moore?

Michele
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 07:07 AM   #2216  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 70 Likes on 40 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Sherry107

I am working my way from the back to the front of her blog and as stated above, making notes in a small notebook. I make notes about the color suggestions she has for specific images, like water, skies, hair, skin, eyes, etc. I then also make notes about tips she gives us in using the markers but I put those at the beginning of my notebook. Whatever I think will help me. I keep a little tab as to what date I'm on so I know where I left off.
Can someone post the link to Marianne's blog, please - thanks so much!
Caterina www.colesfoundation.org www.colespages.com www.kidsunitetofight.com Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks. America will only be the land of the free so long as it is the home of the Brave https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...t-t339556.html
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 07:09 AM   #2217  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by caterinafmigView Post
Can someone post the link to Marianne's blog, please - thanks so much!
http://www.ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 07:18 AM   #2218  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm really please with this card I did - it is HUGE on the gallery

and of course after I have uploaded it I can see the mistake that needs to be corrected... I will look at it in person and see if I "should" mess with it or just leave it.

I used around 40 markers to for all the effects and no blender pen as mine has run dry and I was "afraid" to refill but I managed it by the drip method into the wedge later in the day.

BTW - what is the secret to doing thumbnails?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 07:19 AM   #2219  
Gabfest Goddess

Cat, do you use copics??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 07:33 AM   #2220  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Thank you so much!!
Caterina www.colesfoundation.org www.colespages.com www.kidsunitetofight.com Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks. America will only be the land of the free so long as it is the home of the Brave https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...t-t339556.html
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 07:39 AM   #2221  
Stampin' Fool

Don't forget to check out the "close enough" thread. People list the colors of markers that are close enough to each other that you don't need to buy both colors, for those of us that don't want to buy all 300+ colors.

Another tip I learned here was when I just a blank chart printed on the cardstock that I will be using, there was a slight difference in the colors than when I did it on copy paper. Also on my sheet I marked in the close enough colors so that I wouldn't buy them in the future and more importantly, if I wanted to use that color, I could look on the chart and she which look alike color I had that I could subsitute.

Now that I'm all organized, I just need to learn how to use them!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 07:59 AM   #2222  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesarappView Post
With R81 I have R83, R85 and finally a burgandy R89. My favorite pink though is my
RV11 used with RV34. I know that doesn't follow the rules, but it is purty. The RV13 is blech in my opinion. It is more hot pink. RV11 is a soft gorgeous shade. E25, E27 and E29 look good together.
You don't need to follow the rules! if it works then go for it. I like the RV34 or the R83 for a good, not too obnoxious, pink.

When you find good colors write them down so you don't forget.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 09:59 AM   #2223  
Quacker Stamper

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
I'm really please with this card I did - it is HUGE on the gallery

and of course after I have uploaded it I can see the mistake that needs to be corrected... I will look at it in person and see if I "should" mess with it or just leave it.

I used around 40 markers to for all the effects and no blender pen as mine has run dry and I was "afraid" to refill but I managed it by the drip method into the wedge later in the day.

BTW - what is the secret to doing thumbnails?
Cute card. I didn't see any mistake that needed to be corrected.
Blog: http://maggiescathouse.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 10:00 AM   #2224  
Quacker Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemarkersView Post
You don't need to follow the rules! if it works then go for it. I like the RV34 or the R83 for a good, not too obnoxious, pink.

That's what I need to do because I want to order some more as soon as I get more extra $$.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 10:03 AM   #2225  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemarkersView Post

Wow the fabulous Marianne quoted me in her posting. I can't wait to meet you girl!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 10:12 AM   #2226  
Quacker Stamper

Quote:

Sherry107

I did that over the weekend. Started looking at all the posts only I printed off all the ones that were directions on how to do things. I'm going to put them all in a binder and organize them so I can find what I need when I need it without having to thumb through pages of stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 10:23 AM   #2227  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
I don't see any mistake either.
On the pink sheep the color crept over on to the face but I'm thinking the pink sheep would like it that way.

And I think my light source kept changing on the basket with some of the shadowing (person error not the tools!) - which was quite easy to do by the way - I colored it with the lightest first and then kept working my way up thinking where would the color be and it was just a stroke of color here and there in each color

Thanks for all the nice comments - we will all get to where we are going in the end! Just keep playing in the meantime.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #2228  
Die Cut Diva

As mentioned a couple of days ago I have been watching Suzanne Dean's tutorials on her blog and I played around with my new gorjuss girl's stamps and this is what I coloured up. I was really proud of the way I did the light source and shading (thanks to Suzanne's tutorial.

my card: http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=79674

Suzanne's blog: http://www.scrapbitz.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 11:27 AM   #2229  
Stazon Splitcoast

I need a colored brad this weekend for some ATC's. I didn't have what I needed. Took some silver ones, used my copics and they are sooo pretty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 12:01 PM   #2230  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-BoView Post
As mentioned a couple of days ago I have been watching Suzanne Dean's tutorials on her blog and I played around with my new gorjuss girl's stamps and this is what I coloured up. I was really proud of the way I did the light source and shading (thanks to Suzanne's tutorial.

Too cute! I like those stamps - I just keep trying to persuade myself that I don't need them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 01:07 PM   #2231  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:

Super nice job
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 02:06 PM   #2232  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

GREAT WORK!!! TFS! Suzanne's blog is very motovating! The buying frenzy was fun-but the sharing here of everyone's work is great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 03:18 PM   #2233  
Compulsive Stamper

Question Which Copic markers to use??

Hi Everyone,

I have been hearing so much chatter about these markers and how great they work that I went in search of them. Well, I have found them at several places and they are are a bit pricey but if they work like most members say they do then I say worth the price! However, while I was on one website, there were several types of Copics listed in just about every conceiveable color. I would like to start my collection by buying the correct ones to use for my cards, stamping projects etc. Can someone tell me which "type" I should be looking at and which websites have the best pricing on them?? Thanks for your help!

Jeanne/Dublintoo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #2234  
Rubber Obsessor

ok, I must be living under a rock. I've heard a lot about copics but I don't really know what they are (other than markers) and why they're so great...?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 08:21 PM   #2235  
Matboard Maniac

Jeanne, read through this very long post. You will find a wealth of information about the different types of Copics. Also, check out Marianne's blog, www.ilikemarkers.blogspot.com. She works for Copic and has great information.

Also, check out the other blogs people have mentioned in this thread. Some people list the Copic colors they used, which has helped me in picking out which pens to buy.

Liz, Copics are wonderful for blending. You can blend two or more colors and make a new color or show light and shadow. They are great!

CindyB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #2236  
Forum Fanatic

Great cards, J-Bo and RiverIsis! RiverIsis, I'm not sure what you are asking about the size, as it looked like normal to me, but for me I change my pictures to about 600x400 pixels before uploading...maybe you didn't do that?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #2237  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by dublintooView Post
Hi Everyone,

I have been hearing so much chatter about these markers and how great they work that I went in search of them. Well, I have found them at several places and they are are a bit pricey but if they work like most members say they do then I say worth the price! However, while I was on one website, there were several types of Copics listed in just about every conceiveable color. I would like to start my collection by buying the correct ones to use for my cards, stamping projects etc. Can someone tell me which "type" I should be looking at and which websites have the best pricing on them?? Thanks for your help!

Jeanne/Dublintoo
The ink is the same in all the types, so it's just a matter of size, shape, and tips (and color choices). The Sketch are the most popular around here for the most color choices, oval shape, brush tip (same as Ciaos) and medium ink amount (Ciaos are less, Originals are more)--and the added bonus of having the color printed on the end cap...
for pricing I think CarpeDiem and Oozak are still pretty good, but I haven't ordered lately so I'm not positive...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 08:37 PM   #2238  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by LazorkayView Post
I need a colored brad this weekend for some ATC's. I didn't have what I needed. Took some silver ones, used my copics and they are sooo pretty!
I've done this too, it's awesome (you can use Sharpies, too, btw)...I've colored all kinds of things, actually--even Liquid Applique after it puffed up. It was TOO white on my brown bunny, so I touched it up with E31 (I think) and it looked more subtle then.
(I colored the rest with Copics, too, of course)
Attached Thumbnails
Copic Chatter-hero-arts-garden-bunny.jpg  

Last edited by nottoocreative; 04-07-2009 at 08:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 12:18 AM   #2239  
Cardstock Collector

Today we actually have three tutorials on Splitcoast. They all show you different ways to use Flower Soft. Rose Ann Reynolds wrote one on Flower Soft on stamped images, I wrote two:

Flower Soft Bouquet

Flower Soft on Chipboard

Check out our Product Focus page on Flower Soft in the Resource section as well. It is a cool, but slightly messy product

My card base is a 5 1/2″ x 8 1/2″ piece of Basic Black cardstock folded in half, topped first with a 4″ x 5 1/4″ piece of Whisper White cardstock, then with a 1/4″ smaller piece of Walk in the Park Designer Paper.

The horizontal paper strip is from the same designer paper pack, which can be found in the Occasional Mini catalog from Stampin’ Up!, and measures 2 1/4″ x 3 1/4″. It has a strip of Whisper White cardstock underneath that had been punched with the Eyelet Border Punch. The top edge was paper pierced and all edges were distressed with a sanding block. The gorgeous red ribbon is from May Arts and was tied around the designer paper.

The sentiment and image stamps are from Our Craft Lounge’s Growing Gratitude set. It’s perfect for adding Flower Soft Bouquets in either the watering can image or even the flower pot. I used Copic Markers to color the image. BV20 and BV23 for the watering can, YG03 and YG05 for the leaves and B00 to airbrush the background.

On the inside I added a 4″ x 5 1/4″ piece of Whisper White cardstock. It was layered with a 1 1/4″ x 5 1/4″ strip of Walk in the Park Designer paper that had been slightly sanded. Between both layers is a strip of Basic Black cardstock that had been punched with the Eyelet Border punch.

The image on the small oval is also from the Growing Gratitude set. It was stamped with Tuxedo Black Memento ink and colored with Copics (R10, R11, YG03, YG05). The edges of the oval were paper pierced and Stardust Stickles was added to the flower heads.

Have a wonderful day! When you read this, we are already on our way to Germany. We arrive their in the early morning (1:40 a.m. Florida time, 7:40 a.m. German time). Let’s just say the next two days will be long and blurred together! Wish us no rain!!! That’s what the forcast calls for there.

Hugs and smiles !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 03:44 AM   #2240  
Kookie Creator

Lynn,
Cute card. Love your coloring.
Reply With Quote Likes