Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-16-2015, 02:42 PM   #1481  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.! And guess what I am in the hunt for a card catalog for my room - going to paint it turquoise but oooh the shipping is high .....( searching on eBay)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2015, 02:46 PM   #1482  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! OMG I'm laughing soooo hard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottitudeView Post
Don't die Lydia, we need you around here!! But if you do die, can I have your MISTI? ;) hehehe

Actually, only two more weeks *knock on wood* till Iliana's new stock of laser etched MISTIs come in, and mine is in that batch!

So... what I should request from your craft room if you do die from not knowing, hmm? That would be an interesting thread in and of itself: "What would you like to inherit from Lydia's craft room?" LOL
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2015, 07:26 PM   #1483  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Lydia, You got me thinking about the measurements so I took out all 6 of the Cornish Heritage Farms background stamps to measure them. I keep most of my cling stamps in thin Stampendous Stufftainers and immediately I could tell the difference between these and the Hero Arts, Impression-Obsession, Stampin' Up, Tim Holtz and others in the same Stufftainers; they were considerably taller. The foam is thick but others are just as thick but the red rubber is much thicker than all the others. Together the foam and red rubber on all measured a bit more than 5/16 inch tall. I'll be using them face side up with a bray but infrequently since holding the brayer hurts my hands. I won't be taking the foam off since I did that on one stamp and never again!

I was telling my husband about my asking for advice for these background stamps - his comment: you always use patterned paper so why are you so concerned about these stamps; he has a point!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2015, 07:38 PM   #1484  
Rubber Obsessor

Diane, I'm glad you brought this up. My BG stamps sit in a basket on top of my dining room hutch, because the only way I get a good impression is with a brayer on the upside down image. I hadn't thought about whether MISTI would solve that problem, however.

So far I've been pretty pleased with my MISTI - the only problems I've had is not using the right paper (shame on me) and those 'jumpin' ' magnets!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2015, 04:58 AM   #1485  
Splitcoast Platinum Partner

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeinSparksView Post
Lydia, You got me thinking about the measurements so I took out all 6 of the Cornish Heritage Farms background stamps to measure them. I keep most of my cling stamps in thin Stampendous Stufftainers and immediately I could tell the difference between these and the Hero Arts, Impression-Obsession, Stampin' Up, Tim Holtz and others in the same Stufftainers; they were considerably taller. The foam is thick but others are just as thick but the red rubber is much thicker than all the others. Together the foam and red rubber on all measured a bit more than 5/16 inch tall. I'll be using them face side up with a bray but infrequently since holding the brayer hurts my hands. I won't be taking the foam off since I did that on one stamp and never again!

I was telling my husband about my asking for advice for these background stamps - his comment: you always use patterned paper so why are you so concerned about these stamps; he has a point!
Have you inspected the stamps to make sure they are level. I have had stamps that I could not get to work and I inspected them to find that they were not level. For example, it bows or caves in.

I would place the stamp on a level surface and look across it to see if it sinks in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2015, 05:07 AM   #1486  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
Is it true that the new MISTI is made in China?
Gale, I noticed nobody responded yet. Yes it's made in China. I wondered the same myself, and normally I don't care much but since I'm in Canada and had mine delivered in Washington State, I checked the box before bringing it back in case I was asked at the border. If anybody's wondering, that's because country of manufacture can impact taxes and duties. Lucky me, the border guard didn't even blink and waved me through without having me a pay a penny. I was a happy camper.

My blog: Organized Craft Chaos | My Etsy supplies shop
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2015, 06:46 AM   #1487  
Compulsive Stamper

Hmmm, good to know. Last I heard it was manufactured in the states. Although I am sure it is much cheaper to get from China (but the price to the end user didn't change). As much as I enjoy the tool, this disturbs me.

Quote:

Gale, I noticed nobody responded yet. Yes it's made in China. I wondered the same myself, and normally I don't care much but since I'm in Canada and had mine delivered in Washington State, I checked the box before bringing it back in case I was asked at the border. If anybody's wondering, that's because country of manufacture can impact taxes and duties. Lucky me, the border guard didn't even blink and waved me through without having me a pay a penny. I was a happy camper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2015, 08:18 AM   #1488  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by joyceevansView Post
Hmmm, good to know. Last I heard it was manufactured in the states. Although I am sure it is much cheaper to get from China (but the price to the end user didn't change). As much as I enjoy the tool, this disturbs me.
I think the big plus is that Iliana is able to have laser etched MISTIs made now for the same price as the screen-printed ones. After reading these threads (and many others!) for the past year, I'm very happy that the laser etched are being made. I haven't seen one of the original ones, but this one seems sturdy and well made. I'm pretty sure that if Iliana had been able to have the laser etched ones produced state-side for the same price as the screen-printed ones, she would have done so.

Oh and it comes with a small pad of paper and two magnets, which had to be ordered separately before.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2015, 09:10 AM   #1489  

Quote:

I think the big plus is that Iliana is able to have laser etched MISTIs made now for the same price as the screen-printed ones. After reading these threads (and many others!) for the past year, I'm very happy that the laser etched are being made. I haven't seen one of the original ones, but this one seems sturdy and well made. I'm pretty sure that if Iliana had been able to have the laser etched ones produced state-side for the same price as the screen-printed ones, she would have done so.

Oh and it comes with a small pad of paper and two magnets, which had to be ordered separately before.
Our new, laser-etched MISTIs are now manufactured in Hong Kong. We searched high and low for a manufacturer in the US that could provide a laser-etched product for the same price, and there were none to be found, sadly.

Our customers strongly prefer the laser etched and it was our most common request, so we honored it and found a manufacturer that could produce them at a price consumers are willing to pay. At the $50 mark, your craft purchases aren't always impulse buys and have to be planned for, and we didn't want to create a product that would cost more than our original.

And you are correct, the new ones are actually a reduced price because not only are you receiving the higher quality laser etched lid, but we are also able to provide a paper pad and two magnets for the same price - a significant savings over both the screen printed version and what a laser etch would have cost from a US manufacturer. We hope that changes and will always evaluate our pricing and options - it's hard sometimes to balance all the things that go into a product and its pricing, along with consumer needs, wants and budgets. You just have to do the best you can and learn along the way.

This will also allow us to introduce some new products soon .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2015, 09:23 AM   #1490  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MySweetPetuniaView Post
Our new, laser-etched MISTIs are now manufactured in Hong Kong. We searched high and low for a manufacturer in the US that could provide a laser-etched product for the same price, and there were none to be found, sadly.

Our customers strongly prefer the laser etched and it was our most common request, so we honored it and found a manufacturer that could produce them at a price consumers are willing to pay. At the $50 mark, your craft purchases aren't always impulse buys and have to be planned for, and we didn't want to create a product that would cost more than our original.

And you are correct, the new ones are actually a reduced price because not only are you receiving the higher quality laser etched lid, but we are also able to provide a paper pad and two magnets for the same price - a significant savings over both the screen printed version and what a laser etch would have cost from a US manufacturer. We hope that changes and will always evaluate our pricing and options - it's hard sometimes to balance all the things that go into a product and its pricing, along with consumer needs, wants and budgets. You just have to do the best you can and learn along the way.

This will also allow us to introduce some new products soon .
Ooooh, so exciting!!! I, for one, am very very happy to have been able to buy a laser etched one. I waited such a long time to be able to afford a MISTI, and for once in my life the timing worked out well. They say good things come to those who wait... well this was certainly a good thing for me!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2015, 12:21 PM   #1491  

Quote:

I understand the reasoning but the fact that it was made in the US was a big selling point when it first came out (both handmade and mass produced). I'm glad I got the one that was made in the US.
Awesome! Glad you are happy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2015, 06:03 AM   #1492  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I understand the reasoning but the fact that it was made in the US was a big selling point when it first came out (both handmade and mass produced). I'm glad I got the one that was made in the US.
I totally understand what you mean, but I don't think things are going to change in the US. It's difficult for small business owners to make it here. I would have done the same as Iliana. She'd be out of business trying to keep manufacturing in the US and satisfying crafters ability to purchase the etched version, love mine. Few products are manufactured here in the US anymore. Government and big business deals here are killing the small business owners and the consumer. We, including me, complain about the price of products; and, our workers aren't able to live on poverty wages while big business CEO's make their outrageous incomes. I'm not even going to get into Walmart, hate them and what they do to destroy small businesses and make their workers have to depend on state aide through their greed. May I add, most of their products aren't US made. I say, good for Iliana for trying to keep cost down, she had no other choice.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #1493  
Cardstock Collector

MISTI's are now available in Australia. Paper Cutz Online have them for a great introductory price which will go up after Christmas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2015, 03:36 PM   #1494  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniemckView Post
interesting item made/sold in India...called the Stampoholic... google it. Sold by die cuts and more
That is the exact same thing as the MISTI!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2015, 03:53 PM   #1495  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

interesting item made/sold in India...called the Stampoholic... google it. Sold by die cuts and more
:shock: I am not familiar with international law or any law at all. But that's really incredible, it's a pure copy! :shock:

Now I wonder if there are more copies in the new country of production (china, right?). From somewhere the indeed detailed manufacturing knowledge must have come. I don't think it is enough to have seen the photos of the MISTI or to have bought one MISTI as a demonstration template.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2015, 02:38 AM   #1496  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

8x10 though, so a little bigger yeah like I said interesting
For me, it looks as if it were even the same size, 6,5 x 8,5 (inside).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2015, 07:10 AM   #1497  
Pearl-ExPert

WOW, talk about a blatant copy! They didn't even change the color of the bright pink measuring tape. From the picture, it looks like the same manufacturer made both tools. The laser etched brand name on the lid is the only difference. It appears to have the same removable black foam pad in the stamping area and the tool package must include 2 magnets. Don't know the exchange rate so don't know the cost to the buyer. The reviewer on the 'Die Cuts and More' website says she is glad an Indian products is competing well with other name brands (or something to that effect).

Hope Illiana can get this straightened out. She has worked so hard to get her tool idea to the crafters. I have had my MISTI for over a year and have been very happy with it. Mine is one of the ones made by Illiana in her home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2015, 07:18 AM   #1498  
Pearl-ExPert

Just checked the exchange rate of rupees to US dollars. The cost of the Indian made tool would be under $40.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2015, 07:26 AM   #1499  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess it will depend on whether she was able to patent it. I don't know much about these things.

Inevitable that others will try to make versions (or blatant copies) of this. It was a truly amazing idea and she carried it through so thoroughly, starting off making them herself. That kind of enterprising moxy should be rewarded.

I hope Illiana is in a strong position legally. She deserves to make her fortune on this. I wish her the best of luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2015, 03:23 PM   #1500  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 296 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm not all that familiar with patent law, but several years ago my brother and I were discussing an item that I was considering bringing to market, and I was sounding him out about patents, as he had done extensive research about them for a project he had been working on. All of his research (and the patent attorneys that he consulted) led him to the conclusion that the best you could hope for was to make your fortune BEFORE the foreign knockoffs began to appear. Apparently there aren't checks and balances in place to enforce US patents, even if they aren't in "pending" status (which they have to be for at least a year in case anyone comes out of the woodwork to challenge them or something like that).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2015, 08:45 AM   #1501  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is $60 for an authentic Misti a great price? tia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2015, 08:53 AM   #1502  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I paid $50 about three months ago, directly from the website. Where are you buying it from? Maybe the price has gone up since I bought mine. Mine is not the laser etched, I had to apply a sheet of cling over the graph on the cover.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2015, 09:08 AM   #1503  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillieDeeView Post
Is $60 for an authentic Misti a great price? tia
I guess it depends on what it comes with and if you have to pay shipping for it.

You can get a sparkly new one for $60 plus about $10 shipping. That will include 2 magnets, the laser-etched top (not the screen printed that needs vinyl over it), the foam pad (which has always come with it), and a sample of the custom grid paper.

The screen printed ones work just as well, so that's not necessarily a bad thing, just a difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2015, 09:34 AM   #1504  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you both!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 11:01 AM   #1505  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamping me.View Post
:shock: I am not familiar with international law or any law at all. But that's really incredible, it's a pure copy! :shock:

Now I wonder if there are more copies in the new country of production (china, right?). From somewhere the indeed detailed manufacturing knowledge must have come. I don't think it is enough to have seen the photos of the MISTI or to have bought one MISTI as a demonstration template.
Here's the thing. Once a product is outsourced to China, all the rules we think apply basically go out the window. You can get knockoffs of anything made in China. Except sometimes the only way they are knockoffs is that they are not authorized by the trademark or patent holder. They are often the exact same product made by the exact same manufacturer as the original item. I don't know why or how exactly they get away with it, perhaps there is just no way of enforcing our laws in their country. China is beyond notorious for copying everything, and not just items either, fake Starbucks stores, fake Apple stores etc. Here's an article with a bunch of examples, some quite laughable but some less so. Kinda scary almost!

China Also Fakes These Stores: Disney, Nike, D&G, McDonald's, Starbucks And More - Business Insider

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2015, 03:13 PM   #1506  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Here's the thing. Once a product is outsourced to China, all the rules we think apply basically go out the window. You can get knockoffs of anything made in China. Except sometimes the only way they are knockoffs is that they are not authorized by the trademark or patent holder. They are often the exact same product made by the exact same manufacturer as the original item.
That's exactly what I thought! Of course I don't know if that's true, since the fake tool appeared in a shop from India, not China. :confused:

But my first thought was: Oh my gosh, the new manufacturer is making the same product with a new label for their own account. :shock:

This is really scary! :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2015, 06:27 AM   #1507  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

But my first thought was: Oh my gosh, the new manufacturer is making the same product with a new label for their own account. :shock:
Many manufacturers manufacture the exact same product (or type of product) for multiple companies. Rubber stamp manufacturers are a good example. Unless your company is big enough to have its own facility (like SU!), then you are most likely going to use a manufacturer that has multiple accounts.

Many "generic" brands - canned goods, pharmaceuticals - are made by the same plant that makes the name brand, sometimes exactly the same, sometimes with minor differences (lesser grade or something).

On a related note: the Japanese are well known for taking an American idea and vastly improving it - electronics are REALLY high on that list!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2015, 01:10 PM   #1508  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

Here is what our neighbours daughter( school teacher) told us about her experience after here years of teaching in a private school in China. If you asked a child in gade 3 to draw a picture of a dog they have no idea what you are talking about! However, if you show them a picture of one thy can copy it. She found over and over, that the Chineese are great at copying things but not good with coming up with anything original...just good at copying other people's ideas. It was quite enlightening to hear her stores of life in China even in a shool for the wealthy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2015, 03:12 PM   #1509  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Many manufacturers manufacture the exact same product (or type of product) for multiple companies. Rubber stamp manufacturers are a good example. Unless your company is big enough to have its own facility (like SU!), then you are most likely going to use a manufacturer that has multiple accounts.
Yes, that's okay and even economically, but normally, if a manufacturer makes a die for one company they usually don't sell the same die under a new name for another company or even by themselves. :shock: And for me, this looks like exactly the same item.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2015, 07:05 PM   #1510  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Yes, that's okay and even economically, but normally, if a manufacturer makes a die for one company they usually don't sell the same die under a new name for another company or even by themselves. :shock: And for me, this looks like exactly the same item.
I wasn't speaking to anything specific (like the MISTI), I was just saying that releasing things under multiple labels was a fairly common practice. I know that there are manufacturers who are reputable and have integrity. Sizzix, for example, can't release dies that are exclusive to SU! for a year (possibly more). I think it's a shame that Iliana's brilliant idea is already fair game overseas...

Last edited by gregzgurl; 12-18-2015 at 07:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2015, 09:38 PM   #1511  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The Indian company put out a video a couple days ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXHIJHUmPr4

Not a lot of creativity went into the advertising. They tout is as the Most Ultimate Stamp Tool, as opposed to the Most Incredible Stamp Tool Invented.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2015, 05:00 AM   #1512  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I wasn't speaking to anything specific (like the MISTI), I was just saying that releasing things under multiple labels was a fairly common practice. I know that there are manufacturers who are reputable and have integrity. Sizzix, for example, can't release dies that are exclusive to SU! for a year (possibly more). I think it's a shame that Iliana's brilliant idea is already fair game overseas...
That's what I had understood. :smile: Some manufacturers of cars also share various components. For household appliances, there are tools of the same construction inside, but with slightly different designs on the outside from different manufacturers working together. This seems to be a common practice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2015, 05:17 AM   #1513  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

As mentioned by others... this really isn't a new idea... maybe to most, but others have blog posts about it as far back as 5 years ago using the L Letterpress, and a couple others using the Cuttlebug all in one folder a couple years ago and an item in UK as well. Until there is actually a patent (not pending) not a heck of a lot can be done other than threats.
I do think it is interesting about this company in India, and the fact that it is also pink, but who knows... they do say it is made in India.
Yes, the idea exists in several versions, which have evolved over the years. But if someone copied exactly the same design? Even Iliana did not copy one of the existing tools, but created something new out of existing ideas.

Everyone is allowed to make a tool like let's say a mobile phone, but if it's looking like a known brand, then the lawsuits begin.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2015, 05:18 AM   #1514  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
The Indian company put out a video a couple days ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXHIJHUmPr4

Not a lot of creativity went into the advertising. They tout is as the Most Ultimate Stamp Tool, as opposed to the Most Incredible Stamp Tool Invented.
Thanks for the link! Even the music sounds familiar. Is it the music from SU?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2015, 05:44 AM   #1515  
Stazon Splitcoast

Interesting tidbit along the same line that we've been discussing here for a minute: my husband's grandfather actually holds (well, held, since he's long since passed away) the patent for the folding table we now recognize as a "card table". Didn't do him a bit of good - his was all wood and very heavy. Someone else came along and made it out of lighter weight materials and the rest is history, as they say...

Patent law is (in my mind) very confusing, and I know that it can be very expensive to enforce, so many never do pursue legal action - they largely deem it not worth it. One factor - as was pointed out by anniemck - is that the idea may not be original, but the execution is/was. I would never want to be a patent attorney - not sure my brain would be able to wrap around the nuances enough to be helpful...

Even this discussion is making me fuzzy, lol! Time to walk away from it and just enjoy the wonderful, original, handmade-by-Iliana, patent-pending friend waiting for me in my stamp room (cracks and all)...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2015, 07:12 AM   #1516  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

This is indeed a complex question. A good friend was once sued by another crafter for supposedly copying her " idea" and selling at competing craft sales. Fortunately my friends father was a lawyer,who has advised her about seeing a patent attorney when she started to sell. So the friend had done her homework and as a result won the suit.

So this happens in all different things, I heard and learned more than I would ever need, especially when someone would suggest I put a patent on my original quilt designs. No thanks, after doing my own research on this. Complex doesn't even to tell the tale of patents. Just enjoy this great little gizmo and keep on stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2015, 09:18 PM   #1517  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
You don't need your receipt -
Gale - it's a manufacturing defect that causes it to "craze" because of a certain edge treatment - mine did that too. Just send her pics - she'll replace it with one of the new ones - they manufacture them differently now as a result of that crazing.
She would not replace mine, didn't even ask for photos or a receipt, just said the ones she made herself were not under warranty like the ones made by the manufacturer. So when you bought it does matter, apparently. i bought mine early-on, like late August of 2014, before she found a manufacturer.

The good news is, the cracks have not extended much, so far, and don't go through the acrylic to the surface.

Last edited by dini; 12-20-2015 at 05:05 AM.. Reason: fixed quote coding
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2015, 11:34 AM   #1518  
Kookie Creator

I try to support small business whenever I can. I sure appreciate it when people support us. I don't want to buy at big stores - sometimes I need to because what I'm shopping for isn't always available locally. I wish all the best for Iliana.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #1519  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

It looks like Iliana commented on the video-I'm a little surprised the people who made the video didn't delete her comment.
I think they might have already.... I don't see th comment. Do you remeber what it said?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2015, 08:42 PM   #1520  
Stazon Splitcoast

It said: "This is a knockoff. To find the original, go to www.mysweetpetunia.com", if I remember correctly...

Reply With Quote Likes