Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-10-2015, 06:59 AM   #1441  
Splitcoast Platinum Partner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Anyone else have this problem? Even though I have three magnets, when I use some of my very solid clear stamps, the inked stamp sticks to the paper and when I pull up, the paper lifts and then it's shifted. If I have been really careful to align my paper tight in the corner, I can re-stamp with no issues, but if there was any space at all, then when I put the paper back down, it has shifted and the re-stamp is not exact.

Only happens with sold clears. Even fairly small ones. They just suction the paper right up.

Thoughts? Advice? Commiseration?
Sometimes I just put post it tape to hold the paper. I always make sure that the paper is in the corner and snug. It only happens to me with pigment ink or versafine.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2015, 07:04 AM   #1442  
Pearl-ExPert

It happens to me with plain old dye ink.

I guess snugging it into the corner is the only solution. The stamp just has too much surface and grabs the paper. At least if I've been careful when I placed the paper I can get it back into exactly the same spot.

I was just wondering if anyone else had this happen. You'd think that three of those unbelievable magnets would hold anything. But I guess with clears you have to remember that there's a pad between the paper and the magnetic back of the MISTI and it can't hold as tightly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2015, 08:42 AM   #1443  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Anyone else have this problem? Even though I have three magnets, when I use some of my very solid clear stamps, the inked stamp sticks to the paper and when I pull up, the paper lifts and then it's shifted. If I have been really careful to align my paper tight in the corner, I can re-stamp with no issues, but if there was any space at all, then when I put the paper back down, it has shifted and the re-stamp is not exact.

Only happens with sold clears. Even fairly small ones. They just suction the paper right up.

You can also tape it down with blue painters tape. The other thing I have been using with die cuts that I am stamping on is a used sticky mat from my Silhouette. It works great. You can use a Circuit or other cutting mat as well. I learned about this technique on a YouTube video. Just put it under your paper and it works great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2015, 09:07 AM   #1444  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyofcardsView Post
You can also tape it down with blue painters tape. The other thing I have been using with die cuts that I am stamping on is a used sticky mat from my Silhouette. It works great. You can use a Circuit or other cutting mat as well. I learned about this technique on a YouTube video. Just put it under your paper and it works great!
any chance of providing a link to this?

Thanks
Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2015, 09:34 AM   #1445  
Matboard Maniac

Ok here is video and also a Splitcoast discussion there are two pages so read on.

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...590419-29.html

I cut templates for all my stamps that have cut files for my Silhouette Cameo! It works really good!

Last edited by dini; 10-10-2015 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: added video embed code
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2015, 11:38 AM   #1446  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I guess snugging it into the corner is the only solution. The stamp just has too much surface and grabs the paper. At least if I've been careful when I placed the paper I can get it back into exactly the same spot.

I was just wondering if anyone else had this happen. You'd think that three of those unbelievable magnets would hold anything. But I guess with clears you have to remember that there's a pad between the paper and the magnetic back of the MISTI and it can't hold as tightly.
Some of my clear stamps do that too. I just make some quick tic-marks around each corner of my card, so if it comes up I can easily re-position it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2015, 12:30 PM   #1447  
Pearl-ExPert

Glad I'm not the only one who has experienced this. Thanks for all the tips and advice.

Otherwise, I find my MISTI really useful and am glad I bought it. And most of my stamps don't do this suction thing. It's just those few solid clear ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2015, 12:43 PM   #1448  
Stampin' Fool

You could also try this inexpensive little tool – I plan on using it with my homemade "misti" until I can afford to buy a real one

Amazon.com: Little B 100407 Perfect Positioner, 6-Inch by 12-Inch

Last edited by dini; 10-10-2015 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: replaced link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2015, 04:15 PM   #1449  
Rubber Obsessor

Does anyone know how I can tell if I have a laser cut misti or a screened misti?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2015, 04:45 PM   #1450  
Pearl-ExPert

I think the screen printed MISTIs had a piece of cling vinyl included.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2015, 05:03 PM   #1451  
Splitcoast Platinum Partner

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinbeeView Post
Does anyone know how I can tell if I have a laser cut misti or a screened misti?
The screen printed has pain on top either pink or black. The laser is clear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2015, 09:41 PM   #1452  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I had this exact same problem with three magnets, clear stamps and Stampin Up dye ink. The paper stuck to the stamp and was lifted right up. The paper is so smooth it just slides out from under the magnets.

I haven't had a lot of time to play with my MISTI, but I think I will have to align the paper in the corner all the time.

I also found that even for stamps that didn't grab the paper, there was a very slight shift in where the image was stamped. It's not noticeable from a foot or two away, but if you look at the image closely, you can see the overlap.

So, no, you are not the only one.

When I have more time, I'll continue to experiment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2015, 04:59 AM   #1453  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

This also happens to me with some of the newer clear stamps from various companies. When I have a super-sticky set, I wash them with warm soap and water, dry them, and then I use a soft white eraser to remove any remaining stickiness.

I also use 4 magnets and always push my paper down into the corner and if not possible, then I also draw some marks to make sure I can replace the paper back exactly. I only use artist tape when I'm stamping on super thin paper like tissue paper or gift wrap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2015, 03:57 PM   #1454  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Glad I'm not the only one who has experienced this. Thanks for all the tips and advice.

Otherwise, I find my MISTI really useful and am glad I bought it. And most of my stamps don't do this suction thing. It's just those few solid clear ones.

Yes - all photopolymer - that's why I just tuck my card in the corner each time - are you doing something where you're not putting the card in the corner?

My Gallery |My Blog | My Videos |
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2015, 06:00 PM   #1455  
Pearl-ExPert

Sometimes I am not careful to get it right in there, up against both sides. But I will be in future.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2015, 05:32 AM   #1456  
Crimping Master

A combination of a sticky mat and magnets really works well for me. I have a repositionable spray on a cut-to-size quilting mat. I have had some of my stamps pulling up lately, but that is just a sign to me that it is time to reapply the spray. The best thing about the mat is that you can place your cardstock anywhere that you like. This works great for things that are not square, or that don't fit into the corner easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2015, 05:33 AM   #1457  
Crimping Master

Ooops! Sorry, that should say some of my stamps are pulling up my cardstock lately....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2015, 02:43 PM   #1458  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts

Does the sticky mat leave any residue? It wouldn't matter if its just a layer you're stamping on but if I put a card base in there I wouldnt want any residue on the back of my card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2015, 03:06 PM   #1459  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
Does the sticky mat leave any residue? It wouldn't matter if its just a layer you're stamping on but if I put a card base in there I wouldnt want any residue on the back of my card.
No it doesn't leave residue. If you are using a brand new mat... To keep it from being too sticky lay a clean tee shirt on it mat and then remove it. It keeps the mat from really pulling on your paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2015, 03:27 PM   #1460  
Crimping Master

The spray I use is Krylon brand and it doesn't leave any residue, either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2015, 04:32 PM   #1461  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts

Thank you both, I will try the mat. Sounds good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2015, 08:30 PM   #1462  
Pearl-ExPert

Years ago I bought a bunch of large background stamps from Cornish Heritage Farms. Just found them and tried to use them in the Misti but they are too high and even stamping them 8-9 times I still don't get full coverage. If I put them face down on my desk, ink them up and cover with cardstock and use a brayer I get very good coverage but I'm so disappointed that I can't use them with the Misti. Has anyone else had problems with cling stamps being too high to work with the Misti? I did remove the foam pad but they are just too tall to get good coverage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2015, 08:46 PM   #1463  

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeinSparksView Post
Years ago I bought a bunch of large background stamps from Cornish Heritage Farms. Just found them and tried to use them in the Misti but they are too high and even stamping them 8-9 times I still don't get full coverage. If I put them face down on my desk, ink them up and cover with cardstock and use a brayer I get very good coverage but I'm so disappointed that I can't use them with the Misti. Has anyone else had problems with cling stamps being too high to work with the Misti? I did remove the foam pad but they are just too tall to get good coverage.
Are you removing the black foam from the MISTI before you stamp? That's how you use it with cling - you would want to leave it in for photopolymer

Love Splitcoast?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2015, 10:56 PM   #1464  
Pearl-ExPert

Lydia, yes I removed the black foam from the Misti. I've used the Misti with many other cling stamps and have had no problem with them, only with the large background stamps from Cornish Heritage Farms. I've had the Misti for quite a while and use it with both cling and photopolymer and have had very good results with all except the Cornish Heritage Farms stamps which are thicker than my other cling stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2015, 04:31 AM   #1465  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

I have some red rubber stamps that I unmounted and left the original foam plus I added the thin black foam that is designed to mount to the original foam. This makes the entire stamp really high and I can still get a good image with the MISTI. Considering that you use a brayer which means you roll over the stamp giving even pressure it makes me think that you have to do the same kind of even pressure with the MISTI.

To determine if it's the stamp, it could be uneven, try stamping using a large block and see if the uneven image is the same place as when you use the MISTI. If it's in the same place, that tells me it's the stamp and no matter what you use, you have to apply more pressure in the lower places of the stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2015, 05:34 AM   #1466  

Quote:

Lydia, yes I removed the black foam from the Misti. I've used the Misti with many other cling stamps and have had no problem with them, only with the large background stamps from Cornish Heritage Farms. I've had the Misti for quite a while and use it with both cling and photopolymer and have had very good results with all except the Cornish Heritage Farms stamps which are thicker than my other cling stamps.
How bizarre! I've never seen one - is it just the cling foam that's thicker? you could buy the thinner EZ mount and just re-foam it if it is.

Love Splitcoast?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2015, 08:12 AM   #1467  
Gallery Gazer

Did you try laying the stamp face up in the bed of the MISTI and putting the cardstock on the lid with poster tape? It might work that way...

I also use poster tape to attach cardstock to the foam if the magnets aren't doing the job - keeps it from shifting when the photopolymer stamps want to carry it off...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2015, 02:03 PM   #1468  
Pearl-ExPert

I just received my MISTI last week and am very impressed with it. I also have two of the Fiskars small Stamp Presses and two Stamp-a-ma-jigs. (Because I "lost" my first Stamp Press and a travel SAMJ.) I find the MISTI works so much easier with less steps involved. It SO easy to make multiples of cards with exact placement for all. This really motivates me to dig out the two-step stamp sets, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2015, 09:22 PM   #1469  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Did you try laying the stamp face up in the bed of the MISTI and putting the cardstock on the lid with poster tape? It might work that way...

I also use poster tape to attach cardstock to the foam if the magnets aren't doing the job - keeps it from shifting when the photopolymer stamps want to carry it off...
Sue, I'm going to try this tomorrow. It's not just one stamp - I bought 6 different background stamps at the same time and have trouble with all of them, some much worse than others but none of them gave full coverage in the Misti after after 4-5 inkings with Versafine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2015, 06:26 AM   #1470  

Quote:

Sue, I'm going to try this tomorrow. It's not just one stamp - I bought 6 different background stamps at the same time and have trouble with all of them, some much worse than others but none of them gave full coverage in the Misti after after 4-5 inkings with Versafine.
So if you hold the foam from the MISTI next to the foam of the cling stamp, how much thicker is it? 2, 3 times as thick?

You might need to unmount them completely and then either replace the foam or use them unmounted

Love Splitcoast?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2015, 10:26 AM   #1471  
Pearl-ExPert

DianeinSparks -

I say this from having learned it the hard way - there is no tool that does everything well with every stamp. I went through this on the Scan N Cut forum, where some people were expecting their Scan N Cut machines to be able to fussy cut every single stamp they owned and then empty the dishwasher and fold the laundry.

You say you are able to get a good result turning these stamps upside down and pressing the card stock onto the paper with your fingers or a brayer. Okay, so do it that way. I didn't buy my MISTI thinking I would use it with every stamp I own, and although Sue has figured out a clever way to use hers with BG stamps, today I used four BG stamps in a project and didn't pull out my MISTI for them, I just flipped them and put the card stock on top because it works out just fine and so why not. I do have stamps that, now that I have a MISTI, I can get a much cleaner impression of, and for that I am delighted. I have things I can do with my MISTI that I could only do with a lot of work using my Stamp A Ma Jig and for that I am delighted. I love my MISTI but I accept that it won't do everything.

Just saying - I think your need to use these stamps with the MISTI is causing you unnecessary aggravation. You are able to get reasonable results without it. Just don't use your MISTI with these BG stamps! !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2015, 11:53 AM   #1472  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I say this from having learned it the hard way - there is no tool that does everything well with every stamp. ...You say you are able to get a good result turning these stamps upside down and pressing the card stock onto the paper with your fingers or a brayer. Okay, so do it that way. !
Well now, you're just making too much sense Next time I'm frustrated with a tool, I will remind myself of this...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2015, 07:55 PM   #1473  
Pearl-ExPert

Rachelrose, I don't need to use these stamps with the MISTI but would use them more often if I could. It's not causing me aggravation but just wondering why these stamps would not work in the MISTI since all the other cling stamps I have do. I rarely use any large stamps, wood mounted or cling since they are difficult for me to handle with my arthritic hands and hoped I could use these large stamps with the MISTI which would be easier than using a brayer for me. I do love the MISTI and use it all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2015, 05:59 AM   #1474  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh, so sorry to have misread the situation!

Maybe the My Sweet Petunia lady will weigh in, I've seen her post on the forum before. Or you could contact her.

I think Lydia's suggestion to remove the cling and use them bare might work. Although removing the cling is sometimes a big hassle, especially on a large stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2015, 07:00 AM   #1475  

Quote:

Rachelrose, I don't need to use these stamps with the MISTI but would use them more often if I could. It's not causing me aggravation but just wondering why these stamps would not work in the MISTI since all the other cling stamps I have do. I rarely use any large stamps, wood mounted or cling since they are difficult for me to handle with my arthritic hands and hoped I could use these large stamps with the MISTI which would be easier than using a brayer for me. I do love the MISTI and use it all the time.
I agree - the only way I will use BG stamps now is with the MISTI. So is it the cling foam that is thicker than other stamps? Or the rubber itself? I'm dying to know what the difference is.

Love Splitcoast?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2015, 09:42 AM   #1476  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
I agree - the only way I will use BG stamps now is with the MISTI. So is it the cling foam that is thicker than other stamps? Or the rubber itself? I'm dying to know what the difference is.
Don't die Lydia, we need you around here!! But if you do die, can I have your MISTI? hehehe

Actually, only two more weeks *knock on wood* till Iliana's new stock of laser etched MISTIs come in, and mine is in that batch!

So... what I should request from your craft room if you do die from not knowing, hmm? That would be an interesting thread in and of itself: "What would you like to inherit from Lydia's craft room?" LOL

My blog: Organized Craft Chaos | My Etsy supplies shop
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2015, 10:53 AM   #1477  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottitudeView Post
Don't die Lydia, we need you around here!! But if you do die, can I have your MISTI? hehehe

Actually, only two more weeks *knock on wood* till Iliana's new stock of laser etched MISTIs come in, and mine is in that batch!

So... what I should request from your craft room if you do die from not knowing, hmm? That would be an interesting thread in and of itself: "What would you like to inherit from Lydia's craft room?" LOL
LOL... that's easy! I'd take her cats and her watercoloring supplies.
Proud Fan Club Member
Proud MMTPTCC Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2015, 12:06 PM   #1478  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottitudeView Post

Card File...just saying...not that I would want anything bad to happen or anything...I do have a truck though.....

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2015, 01:30 PM   #1479  
Polyshrink Goddess

First of all - what is a BG stamp??? I can't figure out the brand ...

Second - I would want lydias turquoise card catalog .....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2015, 01:41 PM   #1480  
Pearl-ExPert

Background stamp. Any large stamp designed to be used as a background. Lots of different brands.
Reply With Quote Likes