Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #3201  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are a few pics! top four are new. TFL!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 11:08 AM   #3202  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenndspencerView Post
Here are a few pics! top four are new. TFL!
Love your little sign in the corner -- "Yes, you probably could, but will you?" LOL, if I had a nickel for everybody who either said that in their head or picked something up and said "How cute!" before putting it down and walking away... I'm considering having a sign that says "Compliments only -- $2" or something along those lines! Yeah, I'm twisted, but I'm also tired of all the nice comments with no sales!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #3203  
Stampin' Fool

Jenn very nice display! I am really going to have to keep my eye out for the black table clothes for next year. I didn't have a show this weekend, so my oldest daughter and I went to a HUGE craft show, at Hara Arena just north of Dayton, Ohio. Has oneyone ever gone to or set up a booth there? Booth space I think is 225. for the 3 day weekend. They charge $5 for each custumer to enter and parking is free. One lady I spoke to said she made her booth space the first day and she has done this show for 7 years. I didn't see any paper crafters. Just wondered if anyone has tried this show before? I am thinking about doing it next year if I can make enough. One lady that was selling new stationary and cards sold me her table top card spinner (it was almost empty she had sold alot) for $12 Yipee! I had asked her where she purchased it and she said it came with the cards she orders and was just going to put it in storage but would sell it to me. I have been looking for one forever. That was definately my best find today.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 01:19 PM   #3204  
Matboard Maniac

Sounds like you had a wonderful day! Glad your sales went well also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 02:31 PM   #3205  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
Love your little sign in the corner -- "Yes, you probably could, but will you?" LOL, if I had a nickel for everybody who either said that in their head or picked something up and said "How cute!" before putting it down and walking away... I'm considering having a sign that says "Compliments only -- $2" or something along those lines! Yeah, I'm twisted, but I'm also tired of all the nice comments with no sales!
I know, people are always like, "How cute" or "What a great Idea." At this show I had a lady actually tell me she was buying a snowman candy bar to copy. I know they do it, I do it, but I was surprised she actually said it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 02:33 PM   #3206  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhb1281View Post
Jenn very nice display! I am really going to have to keep my eye out for the black table clothes for next year. I didn't have a show this weekend, so my oldest daughter and I went to a HUGE craft show, at Hara Arena just north of Dayton, Ohio. Has oneyone ever gone to or set up a booth there? Booth space I think is 225. for the 3 day weekend. They charge $5 for each custumer to enter and parking is free. One lady I spoke to said she made her booth space the first day and she has done this show for 7 years. I didn't see any paper crafters. Just wondered if anyone has tried this show before? I am thinking about doing it next year if I can make enough. One lady that was selling new stationary and cards sold me her table top card spinner (it was almost empty she had sold alot) for $12 Yipee! I had asked her where she purchased it and she said it came with the cards she orders and was just going to put it in storage but would sell it to me. I have been looking for one forever. That was definately my best find today.
Great find on the spinner! I have come across some big shows like that, and I am not sure whether to do them or not either. I guess so far I am just not confident enough. I wonder when I will stop feeling like a newbie!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 07:11 PM   #3207  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

I know, people are always like, "How cute" or "What a great Idea." At this show I had a lady actually tell me she was buying a snowman candy bar to copy. I know they do it, I do it, but I was surprised she actually said it!
Great pics of your display, Jenn. Hope you did well.

There was a couple at my last fair looking at my decorated Christmas Fudge Hersheys. The hubby said to her, "Well, we need about 8 of these don't we?"

I got sort of excited.....until she said, "Oh no! I'm just going to buy one to see how they're made and make them myself."

Some people just ain't got no couth.:mrgreen:

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 07:38 PM   #3208  
Rubber Obsessor

I have my first show this season on saturday. I have a bunch of coasters that i inked with alcohol ink and sealed, I am selling them in packs of 2 for $5- I sold a lot last year. I also did some clippy boards, some crackled glass pendants, paper xmas garland, I am going to do a few cards and maybe some altered comp. books. I am doing a few of the dog treats I have seen so much of, and hopefully some pens. I have never done this show, it is at a local firehouse and the table is only $10!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 07:53 PM   #3209  
Rubber Obsessor

People also don't realize how much it costs to "make things" themselves too. Unless you plan to make a lot of something, it could cost more just getting the supplies to make these items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 08:03 PM   #3210  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 177 Likes on 132 Posts

nor do they already have everything they would need to make the project.
i quit going to shows w/ my SIL. she was/is one that talks qiute loudly -while saying "that's way too much for that". "it's easy to make". just can't be seen w/ her. she just doesn't get it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #3211  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Jenn-
your items are beautiful!
I make the clear glass magnets also but I love your packaging idea. I was leaving them on a board to be chosen individually, but I think it overwhelms people to have to choose! I am going to re-think this after looking at yours.

Did you use a template for the purse gift holders? They are cute also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 11:29 PM   #3212  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Newbie?

Quote:

Great find on the spinner! I have come across some big shows like that, and I am not sure whether to do them or not either. I guess so far I am just not confident enough. I wonder when I will stop feeling like a newbie!
Why o why do you feel like a newbie. You have done a few stalls now and they look terrific and you have great items and some great sales...

What do you expect from yourself? If you want bigger sales then you need more products, more time to make them, more stress to get it all done and hope you have the 'right' selection for your market, and you probably have to outlay more not just on the raw materials but also on the booth space.

Way to go girl! I think what you've achieved is awesome:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 03:03 AM   #3213  
Embossing Fanatic

Default what a bust... :(

Well this was the worst show yet....Very small with only 11 vendors. Most of those were selling quilts and towels, etc. I was the only paper crafter there and most people just looked and said how cute...

The bright side is it only cost $5 for the table. I made after the table fee...$18.25 and then I spent $7 of that on a cute little handmade doggie fleece sweater/coat thing for my little Jack Russell. It was a short show, only 3 hours, but boy was it the longest 3 hours ever....This is only my second year of doing shows and I am learning fast that is just isn't worth it to do the smaller shows. I was trying to do the ones closest to home, but next year I am gonna do the big ones, which mean I will have to travel some.

My last show is coming up on Saturday, and I hope this one is better.....

Leslie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 07:02 AM   #3214  
Insane Embellisher

Smile

Kbgirl I bet your next show will be a bigger success!! I think the closer to Christmas we get the more people will buy!

I made a bunch of these cute Santa top note die treat boxes over the weekend but I'm not sure how much to sell them for.....or if it is wiser to leave them empty or stuff them with candy. What do you all think? I'm thinking it would be best to sell them empty for $2.75 each or 2 for $5, they were rather time consuming and took alot of cardstock to make. I added the ribbon handle and redesigned the box to be bigger.....will easily fit a gift card and or lots of little treats.

Anne
Attached Thumbnails
craft sale best sellers?  Let's make a listing!  Please-santa-bags.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 07:41 AM   #3215  
Stampin' Fool

Oh, leslie, and your items are so beautiful. My first show was like that, only there were 130 crafters, but no one was buying. Very disappointing, especially when you have high hopes. I am glad that you didn't lose much money on your table. When this happens to me, I try to keep a positive attitude and chalk it up to a learning experience. I am sure your next show will go better.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kbgirlView Post
Well this was the worst show yet....Very small with only 11 vendors. Most of those were selling quilts and towels, etc. I was the only paper crafter there and most people just looked and said how cute...

The bright side is it only cost $5 for the table. I made after the table fee...$18.25 and then I spent $7 of that on a cute little handmade doggie fleece sweater/coat thing for my little Jack Russell. It was a short show, only 3 hours, but boy was it the longest 3 hours ever....This is only my second year of doing shows and I am learning fast that is just isn't worth it to do the smaller shows. I was trying to do the ones closest to home, but next year I am gonna do the big ones, which mean I will have to travel some.

My last show is coming up on Saturday, and I hope this one is better.....

Leslie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 07:47 AM   #3216  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks so much Michelle! I think I am happy with what I am doing. It is still fun! If I tried to do much more, I think it would be way too intense, especially with 2 kids in the house. I guess when I share advice, or my experience, I feel like a fraud, like who am I to give advice. I'm not that successful. I know it's silly, but it's how I feel. Must be my mom's fault. LOL!
Quote:

Originally Posted by madmichelleView Post
Why o why do you feel like a newbie. You have done a few stalls now and they look terrific and you have great items and some great sales...

What do you expect from yourself? If you want bigger sales then you need more products, more time to make them, more stress to get it all done and hope you have the 'right' selection for your market, and you probably have to outlay more not just on the raw materials but also on the booth space.

Way to go girl! I think what you've achieved is awesome:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 07:50 AM   #3217  
Stampin' Fool

Diane, I wrote a cut file for SCAL to cut the purses, but even without SCAL this is super easy. It is just a top note folded over the top of the 'bag", a folded piece of paper. Clear as mud, right? there are tutorials out there. Not sure where I found it, though. HTH
Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeCraftView Post
Jenn-
your items are beautiful!
I make the clear glass magnets also but I love your packaging idea. I was leaving them on a board to be chosen individually, but I think it overwhelms people to have to choose! I am going to re-think this after looking at yours.

Did you use a template for the purse gift holders? They are cute also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 07:52 AM   #3218  
Stampin' Fool

THese are just awesome! I would probably do $3 or 2 for $5, but I hate to deal with change. I would do atleast some stuffed with candy, because I think people like things that are ready to gift. Adorable!
Quote:

Originally Posted by PipergirlView Post
Kbgirl I bet your next show will be a bigger success!! I think the closer to Christmas we get the more people will buy!

I made a bunch of these cute Santa top note die treat boxes over the weekend but I'm not sure how much to sell them for.....or if it is wiser to leave them empty or stuff them with candy. What do you all think? I'm thinking it would be best to sell them empty for $2.75 each or 2 for $5, they were rather time consuming and took alot of cardstock to make. I added the ribbon handle and redesigned the box to be bigger.....will easily fit a gift card and or lots of little treats.

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 08:39 AM   #3219  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:

Kbgirl I bet your next show will be a bigger success!! I made a bunch of these cute Santa top note die treat boxes over the weekend but I'm not sure how much to sell them for.....or if it is wiser to leave them empty or stuff them with candy. Anne
I agree that you should go with $3.00 ea or 2/$5.00. I also agree that you could fill them with something and charge a bit more. If it were me, I'd get some simple peppermint hard candies. Not expensive, very Christmasy and then the gift is good-to-go. They really are adorable. Nice job.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 08:48 AM   #3220  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Anne
Oh my goodness . . . they are SO cute! I think I might stuff at least a sample, if you didn't want to do them all, with some of those paper shreds and a "fake" gift card or candy or something to at least give ideas. Some people just cannot look at something and think of a use for it so we have to help them out a bit! LOL I think the price is very reasonable but I would raise it to $3 to avoid the change issue too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 12:20 PM   #3221  
Mad Swapper

Anne--Those santa bags are TOOOOOOO CUTE!! Love them. Good luck on your next sale.

I have finally finished a number of my projects. I will try and post some pictures after I pick up my daughter from school.
My Stamping Blog
My SU! Demo Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 12:55 PM   #3222  
Mad Swapper

I am done with Craft Fairs for this year, but I did have a custom order for some gift card holders come from my craft fair on 11/8. They want 21 gift card holders in various styles. One of the styles they requested was for a "restaurant themed" gift card holder. I'm not sure these would sell at a craft fair, but I will probably make them next year as I will have all of the supplies already (I got the silverware at Costco, so there's a TON!).
Attached Thumbnails
craft sale best sellers?  Let's make a listing!  Please-img_4521.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 01:27 PM   #3223  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAmomof2View Post
I am done with Craft Fairs for this year, but I did have a custom order for some gift card holders come from my craft fair on 11/8. They want 21 gift card holders in various styles. One of the styles they requested was for a "restaurant themed" gift card holder. I'm not sure these would sell at a craft fair, but I will probably make them next year as I will have all of the supplies already (I got the silverware at Costco, so there's a TON!).

Those are so cute Christel!!! That is a very clever way of doing the restaurant themed ones....such great ideas from such great ladies here!! I love this thread!!!

Leslie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 02:01 PM   #3224  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Anne
These are adorable!!! I would love to know how you made these. I think you would be good to sell at 2 for $5. I would display them with some of your ideas though. Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 02:08 PM   #3225  
Insane Embellisher

Question for those who sell card totes - how many cards do you put in them and what do you sell them for? How have your sales been?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #3226  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for all the comments on the Santa treat bags. Here is the tutorial I found to make them, I changed her box around a bit (made it taller) and used different punches then she used for the mouth and the round white circles on the hat http://dreamcreateandshare.blogspot....mes-santa.html
I had a few of the nose punches left over but switched to just a plain circle after I ran out- I like the circle nose better. I think I'll take your advice and fill up a few of them with treats and such so people can see what you can fill them up with! I'm thinking they will all hopefully sell!

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #3227  
Matboard Maniac

hi everyone - the craft show train continues to rumble along...had a show on sunday - did this one every year from '91 to '02 - it was big, well attended, well run and everyone made $$$ - well, the economy is really hitting home - this year I made about 175. - maybe 15. dollars more than last year - still very well run, well advertised (plus it's well established) but where were the people???? - hallways (it's a school) that once were so crowded that it was almost impossible to move...were now open and easy to walk around - every crafter there was saying sales were down and almost non-existent - my best sellers were gag gifts and dog treats - I marked the layered ornaments down 1.00 and sold a few - I have 2 more shows...hope it starts to turn around, but people are really watching what they spend (me too) - looks like I'm putting most of my efforts into the small stuff - carole
PS - I LOVE the santa bags
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 04:55 PM   #3228  
Mad Swapper

I finally have some pictures to share. Thanks to everyone who has given to this thread. Your ideas were inspirational. I have a few other items in the works and a bunch of candles in the closet that are done.
The reindeer noses and Grinch Pills have about a 1/4 cup of M&M's. They cost me approx. 72 cents to make. The elf pillows cost about 50 cents to make. The pencil pounches cost me about 57 cents. THe Build-A-Bear coloring pack has 8 pages and a small 4 pack of crayons. I left the tag blank so they could write the name of the child on there, but it does have an embossed paw print. They cost approx $1.14 each to make. I am still debating some of my prices. I generally like to at least double the cost. I know most people seem to be selling their little things for $1, but I will barely make 25 cents on the M&M ones that way.
Back to work. Hubby is drilling glass blocks now.
Attached Thumbnails
craft sale best sellers?  Let's make a listing!  Please-craft-fair-items-3-.jpg   craft sale best sellers?  Let's make a listing!  Please-craft-fair-items-4-.jpg   craft sale best sellers?  Let's make a listing!  Please-craft-fair-items-9-.jpg  
My Stamping Blog
My SU! Demo Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 04:58 PM   #3229  
Mad Swapper

The coaster post it notes were the first ones I have tried. The pen is clipped on the top of the coaster. I have a ton more coasters and just bought new pens to try doing some better ones.
The reindeer poop is in a acetate box. I used the tutorial here, but changed the size to be 2" wide. They cost me about 62 cents each to make.
Attached Thumbnails
craft sale best sellers?  Let's make a listing!  Please-craft-fair-items-1-.jpg   craft sale best sellers?  Let's make a listing!  Please-craft-fair-items-6-.jpg  
My Stamping Blog
My SU! Demo Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 05:22 PM   #3230  
Polyshrink Goddess

I really like your Spare Reindeer Noses, Grinch Pills, and Elf Pillows!! Great ideas.

rita w
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 05:28 PM   #3231  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Anne
These are soo cute~ I havent done a show yet... but all of you gals are an inspiration. I am definatly thinking of getting things made and try a spring show.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 06:01 PM   #3232  
Insane Embellisher

kjbmusic all of your items are adorable and very nicely packaged! You should do well with these items!

I still have to do some elf pillows one of these days.....just to lazy to color in the images and cut them out. :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #3233  
Rubber Obsessor

Hey kjbmusic, Loved your punched out grinch! Maria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 07:10 PM   #3234  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjbmusicView Post
I finally have some pictures to share. Thanks to everyone who has given to this thread. Your ideas were inspirational. I have a few other items in the works and a bunch of candles in the closet that are done.
The reindeer noses and Grinch Pills have about a 1/4 cup of M&M's. They cost me approx. 72 cents to make. The elf pillows cost about 50 cents to make. The pencil pounches cost me about 57 cents. THe Build-A-Bear coloring pack has 8 pages and a small 4 pack of crayons. I left the tag blank so they could write the name of the child on there, but it does have an embossed paw print. They cost approx $1.14 each to make. I am still debating some of my prices. I generally like to at least double the cost. I know most people seem to be selling their little things for $1, but I will barely make 25 cents on the M&M ones that way.
Back to work. Hubby is drilling glass blocks now.
Kathleen,

All of your stuff looks great! When's your show?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 08:14 PM   #3235  
Mad Swapper

I got the punched Grinch idea from the gallery here. My show is Saturday/Sunday. When I signed up I was the only papercrafter, but they have filled up the last 20 spaces since then. There are about 100 crafters. It is on post and generally well attended.
My Stamping Blog
My SU! Demo Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 07:37 AM   #3236  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

I got the punched Grinch idea from the gallery here. My show is Saturday/Sunday. When I signed up I was the only papercrafter, but they have filled up the last 20 spaces since then. There are about 100 crafters. It is on post and generally well attended.
Best of luck on your show this weekend. All your items are very cute and so nicely made. You should have good sales. Fingers Crossed!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 08:04 AM   #3237  
Crimping Master

just my 2 cents..I would put alot less m&ms per bag. When I make the treat bags, I put 15-20 pieces of red candies, m&ms, candy corn, marshmallows etc. Most people will not really eat these because of "germs" etc. (I would have no prob. but know alot of people who would ) they just buy them for gag gifts, so I charge $1.00
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 10:36 AM   #3238  
Rubber Obsessor

Default poop box

Quote:

The coaster post it notes were the first ones I have tried. The pen is clipped on the top of the coaster. I have a ton more coasters and just bought new pens to try doing some better ones.
The reindeer poop is in a acetate box. I used the tutorial here, but changed the size to be 2" wide. They cost me about 62 cents each to make.
I love your coasters & boxes, however it is my opinion that little cellophane or poly bags for the poop bags would be a more cost & time effective method. I get my bags from a packaging wholesaler who also sells to the public (in bunches of 50)
Using small bags I can fill with approx 50c worth of lollies and make them seem bulging and thus sell them for $1.50 no problems - even sell off at $1 if I want to shift the last few. I also made reindeer spares from jaffas since I haven't seen just red M&Ms here down under.

By the way I have made 100 poop bags, See attached file (if I did it right) I will upload it into my gallery soon.
Attached Thumbnails
craft sale best sellers?  Let's make a listing!  Please-reindeer-poop-2009.jpg  

Last edited by madmichelle; 12-01-2009 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: Additional info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #3239  
Mad Swapper

I probably should have put less M&M's in the bag to get more out of them, but they are done now. oh well.

I did think about putting the poop into bags also, but I wanted to do something a little different. Though I want to sell all my stuff and make a little money, I am a demo and hoping to catch some eyes for classes and such this spring. I hope by showing variety in what you can do with papercrafting, I might gain a few long term customers.

I am considering putting them in a bag inside of the box. I did get some bags today to put the coaster sets in.

Thanks for everyones input. I appreciate it.
My Stamping Blog
My SU! Demo Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #3240  
Inking Addict

Smile Magnetic Calendars

I have had some IM's and emails from people interested in the template that I created for my magnetic calendars. Anyways, I figured I would post it on here for everyone to use. I have also posted a picture of a couple that I have made. Enjoy!!
Attached Thumbnails
craft sale best sellers?  Let's make a listing!  Please-magnetic-calendars1.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mini Calendars.pdf (86.6 KB, 150 views)
Reply With Quote Likes