Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-01-2010, 06:39 AM   #1401  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShellView Post
Wow. I wonder why they aren't taking SCAL on .....
They aren't taking on SCAL because the designer of SCAL used to work for PC. I don't use SCAL. I downloaded the trial version of it and MTC and found SCAL a pain to use because you had to use Inkscape. This was back in December. MTC is more user friendly, for me at least, and the designer is always approachable online. However with the lawsuit, he's been in and out.

The biggest problem that PC has is that the designer of MTC made it possible to backup your cartridge images on MTC. Now it's about copyright which, to me, is really funny. Does PC have a copyright on squares and squirrels and trees? Oh well.

I love my Cricut and how many things I can cut using MTC. I imagine those who use SCAL love doing that too. Both these softwares opened endless possibilities with our Cricuts. Frankly I seriously doubt I will ever purchase another cartridge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2010, 09:25 AM   #1402  
Total Quack

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandmamichelfView Post
They aren't taking on SCAL because the designer of SCAL used to work for PC. I don't use SCAL. I downloaded the trial version of it and MTC and found SCAL a pain to use because you had to use Inkscape. This was back in December. MTC is more user friendly, for me at least, and the designer is always approachable online. However with the lawsuit, he's been in and out.

The biggest problem that PC has is that the designer of MTC made it possible to backup your cartridge images on MTC. Now it's about copyright which, to me, is really funny. Does PC have a copyright on squares and squirrels and trees? Oh well.

I love my Cricut and how many things I can cut using MTC. I imagine those who use SCAL love doing that too. Both these softwares opened endless possibilities with our Cricuts. Frankly I seriously doubt I will ever purchase another cartridge.

I've NEVER used Inkscape and I use SCAL for everything. I can cut any image I find on the web, on my computer, or on the cartridges. I find no reason at all to use inkscape.

They do have a copyright on any image they market on the cartridges.

I haven't bought a cartridge in almost 2 years.

Photography Site

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #1403  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I've NEVER used Inkscape and I use SCAL for everything. I can cut any image I find on the web, on my computer, or on the cartridges. I find no reason at all to use inkscape.

They do have a copyright on any image they market on the cartridges.

I haven't bought a cartridge in almost 2 years.
I downloaded SCAL's trial version and had to use Inkscape. Talked to a lot of others who had to do the same. I think that with the SCAL2 version you don't have to. I'm not sure since I only used SCAL for a few days before deciding I preferred MTC.

I only know that, as far as copyright goes, PC will have a hard time proving they have the copyright to squares, rectangles, and other images even if they are on their cartridges. Their cartridges are copyrighted so I suppose that means you can't sell the entire cartridge as your own. And that's where I think the backup of Cricut cartridges onto your computer with MTC was a problem for PC along with some other things that weren't really true. You'd have to read the lawsuit and the MTC designer's response to it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #1404  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi everyone, I really need some help. I recently got the C.Ex. and the Gypsy. Ok, now how do I get them to work together? I have my gypsy pluged into the Cricut and when I turn the Cricut on, it doesn't read the gypsy, it ask to put a cartridge in. What am I doing wrong or missing? Neither manuel tells me anything. I looked on the website for the gypsy and couldn't find anything already posted. thought I'd ask here before I tried writing to them.
TIA
Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2010, 02:29 PM   #1405  
Total Quack

Quote:

I downloaded SCAL's trial version and had to use Inkscape. Talked to a lot of others who had to do the same. I think that with the SCAL2 version you don't have to. I'm not sure since I only used SCAL for a few days before deciding I preferred MTC.

I only know that, as far as copyright goes, PC will have a hard time proving they have the copyright to squares, rectangles, and other images even if they are on their cartridges. Their cartridges are copyrighted so I suppose that means you can't sell the entire cartridge as your own. And that's where I think the backup of Cricut cartridges onto your computer with MTC was a problem for PC along with some other things that weren't really true. You'd have to read the lawsuit and the MTC designer's response to it.

Never used it before I got SCAL 2, either. I've had SCAL for almost 2 years. With SCAL2, though, I can just import .jpg files directly. That's nice.

The lawsuit really doesn't bother me since I use SCAL. I am cautious, though, because I am able to use any cartridge image that I desire, and I am cautious about sharing much of that on my blog.

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2010, 02:31 PM   #1406  
Total Quack

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamotsView Post
Hi everyone, I really need some help. I recently got the C.Ex. and the Gypsy. Ok, now how do I get them to work together? I have my gypsy pluged into the Cricut and when I turn the Cricut on, it doesn't read the gypsy, it ask to put a cartridge in. What am I doing wrong or missing? Neither manuel tells me anything. I looked on the website for the gypsy and couldn't find anything already posted. thought I'd ask here before I tried writing to them.
TIA
Lori

I don't have the gypsy, so I can't tell you how to do that, BUT have you updated the firmware of your Cricut? I know that's important to get your bug to cut with CDS, SCAL, or MTC.

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #1407  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamotsView Post
TIA
Lori
You may have to look under products in the Cricut website, you are looking for the gypsy. Then, if I remember properly -- you have to sync your gypsy and update it before your Cricut can read it. Maybe someone else can give you more details, but for now -- check out the Cricut website -- find the Gypsy and there is a short tutorial. Just a sec, I'll see if I can't find you the link ... http://www.cricut.com/gypsy/
OK - try that and it should help to get you started. Good luck!
Present Blog

(Old Blog)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #1408  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

Quote:

I just got SCAL 2, and I can only open svg files. I can't open jpegs. How are you other ladies doing it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #1409  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

I too have SCAL and I don't have inkscape, but I use the program, no problem. Please explain what you mean by "had to use Inkscape" as that could be misleading to newbies! I would certainly like to know, await your reply! thanks much!
PS: that would seem counterproductive to using the program, if it "requires" you use a secondary program, besides the DS, don't you think. Feedback on this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2010, 03:27 AM   #1410  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by davesgramView Post
I too have SCAL and I don't have inkscape, but I use the program, no problem. Please explain what you mean by "had to use Inkscape" as that could be misleading to newbies! I would certainly like to know, await your reply! thanks much!
PS: that would seem counterproductive to using the program, if it "requires" you use a secondary program, besides the DS, don't you think. Feedback on this?
I'm pretty new to SCAL; but from my limited experience, here is what I've found. SCAL (and my SCAL 2) will open only svg files. If you have a picture that you want to convert into something that can be cut with your Cricut, you need to use Inkscape. If you are cutting True Type fonts (or images that are already svg files), you don't need to use Inkscape. I hope I didn't confuse you more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2010, 06:19 AM   #1411  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I'm pretty new to SCAL; but from my limited experience, here is what I've found. SCAL (and my SCAL 2) will open only svg files. If you have a picture that you want to convert into something that can be cut with your Cricut, you need to use Inkscape. If you are cutting True Type fonts (or images that are already svg files), you don't need to use Inkscape. I hope I didn't confuse you more.
ok, I understand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2010, 06:28 AM   #1412  
Stampin' Fool

I could open svg files in both SCAL and MTC. That wasn't a problem. However I was able to open other files in MTC, such as jpg and png, without using a secondary program. There's some conversion necessary, even in MTC, to use coloring pages and stuff like that. For me, I just found MTC much more user friendly. But I know people if have both SCAL2 and MTC and like them both. It's just a matter of what works for anyone at this point.

I just know that having either of these programs expands what you can do with the Cricut and think it's a really good thing. The only reason I put off purchasing a Cricut for a few years was because it didn't connect to the computer so the fonts and everything I really wanted to use were not available to me. (unless I wanted to buy a wishblade or something like that). I'm truly not interested in any of the cartridges. Isn't that something?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2010, 06:35 AM   #1413  
Glitter Guru

I just downloaded the demo version of Make the Cut. I have been wanting the Hello Kitty cartridge and thought I would try to create her using Make the Cut. I am in love with this software! Why didn't I try it sooner! I found some HK images online and managed to do a full body hello kitty successfully. I tried the head only image and it won't do the bow. It makes it part of the outline. any ideas?

btw, I found a tutorial about importing various type images. You can open them in Paint and save it as the type of file that Make the Cut supports. I did that with another image and it worked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2010, 05:47 PM   #1414  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm pretty new with my Expression so this may be a dumb question. Has anyone cut out something in vinyl and put it on a car window? I've been seeing people here somehow have their initials on the back car window and was wondering if I cut out vinyl and put it on the back car window would it withstand the weather? Or if I sold the car could I get it off the window? My husband is picky about putting things on the car so I would need to be able to remove it someday. Anyone have any experience with this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2010, 06:18 PM   #1415  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

I could open svg files in both SCAL and MTC. That wasn't a problem. However I was able to open other files in MTC, such as jpg and png, without using a secondary program. There's some conversion necessary, even in MTC, to use coloring pages and stuff like that. For me, I just found MTC much more user friendly. But I know people if have both SCAL2 and MTC and like them both. It's just a matter of what works for anyone at this point.

I just know that having either of these programs expands what you can do with the Cricut and think it's a really good thing. The only reason I put off purchasing a Cricut for a few years was because it didn't connect to the computer so the fonts and everything I really wanted to use were not available to me. (unless I wanted to buy a wishblade or something like that). I'm truly not interested in any of the cartridges. Isn't that something?
I keep learning more and more about these program, thanks much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #1416  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debbie-MOView Post
I'm pretty new with my Expression so this may be a dumb question. Has anyone cut out something in vinyl and put it on a car window? I've been seeing people here somehow have their initials on the back car window and was wondering if I cut out vinyl and put it on the back car window would it withstand the weather? Or if I sold the car could I get it off the window? My husband is picky about putting things on the car so I would need to be able to remove it someday. Anyone have any experience with this?

I'm new to the world of Cricut too, and would love to know this too..........

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #1417  
Gabfest Goddess

You certainly can cut vinyl with your cricut. I have cut vinyl to use as a stencil for glass etching but not to make signs. I am sure you can find some helpful videos on You Tube, I know I find all kind there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #1418  
Gabfest Goddess

Ok, just tried it! With the "trace" feature you CAN convert jpeg, png files to svg, just did several images and pu them in my library, yippeee. I knew it could be done, just was not sure how. check it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 06:25 AM   #1419  
Gabfest Goddess

Here are two videos about the "trace" feature:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX7Mn...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6fN2...eature=related
Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 07:29 AM   #1420  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Yes you can! I have some little hibiscus flowers that I cut out (from Story book) on my car. I've had them there for a few months and they haven't peeled or came off they look great
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #1421  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I keep learning more and more about these program, thanks much!
I am continuing learning how to do things in MTC. It just amazes me. Supposedly there is another upgrade coming but I don't know when. I like that the designer/owner listens to us and what we'd like to see and then does his best to make it happen.

I tell you what, I can make some neat cards with my Cricut. I found one site that has some really great svg files on it. All kinds of stuff. And they're free to use. And then another place I purchased some svg files to make boxes, tags and frames. I just didn't want to purchase a cart. And for way less than the cost of a cart, I got what I needed. Isn't that cool?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 04:58 PM   #1422  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

I am continuing learning how to do things in MTC. It just amazes me. Supposedly there is another upgrade coming but I don't know when. I like that the designer/owner listens to us and what we'd like to see and then does his best to make it happen.

I tell you what, I can make some neat cards with my Cricut. I found one site that has some really great svg files on it. All kinds of stuff. And they're free to use. And then another place I purchased some svg files to make boxes, tags and frames. I just didn't want to purchase a cart. And for way less than the cost of a cart, I got what I needed. Isn't that cool?
Share, share!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #1423  
Total Quack

The Trace or Import jpg in SCAL is an amazing tool. I will highlight it soon on my blog. That feature has enabled me to cut just about anything I find.

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #1424  
Gabfest Goddess

I love IT! The best thing since sliced bread, in a manner of speaking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 06:10 PM   #1425  
Gabfest Goddess

http://www.4shared.com/file/wcA2E4Ed/nunestieset-3.html

How do I handle this download, a little confused. I don't see it show up in my svg files when I click download, nor do I get the extract all message. This one is different from all the others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #1426  
Gabfest Goddess

got it from here.
http://scale-files.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #1427  
Total Quack

Quote:

http://www.4shared.com/file/wcA2E4Ed/nunestieset-3.html

How do I handle this download, a little confused. I don't see it show up in my svg files when I click download, nor do I get the extract all message. This one is different from all the others.

I'm not sure, but be careful on 4Shared. They had some problems with viruses on that site at one point.

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #1428  
Total Quack

Quote:

I love IT! The best thing since sliced bread, in a manner of speaking!

Yep ... and it can cut the sliced bread - if you have a picture of it. :mrgreen:

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 07:40 PM   #1429  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

I'm not sure, but be careful on 4Shared. They had some problems with viruses on that site at one point.
Thanks for letting me know, I will probably avoid the site then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #1430  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by sln1294View Post
Yes you can! I have some little hibiscus flowers that I cut out (from Story book) on my car. I've had them there for a few months and they haven't peeled or came off they look great
I am so glad you had good luck with this. I keep seeing things on other car windows that I would like to have. Do you think if I wanted to take it off I would have trouble? Thanks for answering my question.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2010, 03:01 AM   #1431  
Glitter Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:

Ah, now I get it! I wish these programs came with an instruction manual. I know there are help files, videos, message boards, etc.; but I'm old school. I like having the printed manual in front of me. (I don't like e-books, either. ;) ) Thanks for posting the links!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2010, 04:47 AM   #1432  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I Love vinyl. I have cut my name and SU info for my car. I have had vinyl on my vehicle for over 5 years and LOVE it. It does come off and isnt a problem. It does withstand the weather well as well. Good Luck!
Sensaria
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2010, 06:05 AM   #1433  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
Ah, now I get it! I wish these programs came with an instruction manual. I know there are help files, videos, message boards, etc.; but I'm old school. I like having the printed manual in front of me. (I don't like e-books, either. ;) ) Thanks for posting the links!
You are welcome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2010, 09:58 AM   #1434  
Glitter Guru

Lightbulb Create a Critter Phrases

I posted a chart with all the words & phrases on the CAC cartridge in the Downloads section of SCS. Here's the link: Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2010, 02:15 PM   #1435  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
I got some stamps that go with the Create a Critter cartridge. I can't post the link here but it's on my blog.
Very cute, Gail! Tell your daughter that she did a great job. I remember the problems you've had with your Cricut(s). Something just occurred to me. Do you think it's possible that they keep sending you the same Cricut machine over and over, thinking they've "fixed" it, or simply just telling you that they are sending you a new one? Just a thought, because it doesn't make sense that 4 different machines would cut badly - even at others' houses. That would drive me crazy. Nice blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #1436  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
No-because they would send one and then I'd send the old one back in the new box. So I know that I've had at least 2 different ones. When they did test cuts there (with my actual carts-I sent them in) and sent them to me, they looked the same to me. I told them I had the worst problems with small circles and what did they test cut? large scalloped shapes. They weren't exactly right either though. And it was weird on every single cart so I know it wasn't a bad cart. I finally gave up. I should probably try this cart on my personal cricut and see what that does.
Oh, OK. Very perplexing indeed. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2010, 04:23 PM   #1437  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by taketime4youView Post
I Love vinyl. I have cut my name and SU info for my car. I have had vinyl on my vehicle for over 5 years and LOVE it. It does come off and isnt a problem. It does withstand the weather well as well. Good Luck!
I'm so glad you had good luck with this. Now I'm excited to do this. Thanks so much for sharing your experience with this. Now I know what I'm doing this weekend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #1438  
Gabfest Goddess

I just cut a trellis window with SCAL and I swear it must have taken 20 minutes to cut! I don't know if I will use that one again! And then it was a real challenge to get it off the mat! But it sure is pretty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 03:53 PM   #1439  
Total Quack

Quote:

I just cut a trellis window with SCAL and I swear it must have taken 20 minutes to cut! I don't know if I will use that one again! And then it was a real challenge to get it off the mat! But it sure is pretty!

Some of the detailed cuts take quite a while to cut. They are usually - note that I said 'usually' - worth the wait!

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 10:59 PM   #1440  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Some of the detailed cuts take quite a while to cut. They are usually - note that I said 'usually' - worth the wait!
I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it, but some how my mind did not pay attention to all those little, tiny holes! Think I will try and find one with less "detail"!
Reply With Quote Likes