Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #1001  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by davesgramView Post
Which cricut do you own? If the expression, it has a feature that allows you to pick a point on the paper to cut out. Cannot for the life of me think of the term but will find it.
Are you thinking of the Center Point function? I haven't tried that one yet, but I think I will soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #1002  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
Are you thinking of the Center Point function? I haven't tried that one yet, but I think I will soon.
YEP thats it! Saw someone demonstrate it, not sure if it was YouTube or not. Isn't that only on the Expression?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2010, 02:56 AM   #1003  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I think it might be on the Create as well, but I'm not sure. I've seen some videos on YouTube also. It looks a little involved, but it's probably not very difficult after some practice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #1004  
Glitter Queen

I just got my Cricut,and I do mostly cards and so far I've got a upset stomach thinking I wasted $400.00 and change. I just ordered Beyond Birthdays and hoping I'll find more use for this machine,so my ? is.Did other crafters have misgivings about their purchase but as they worked with it found it to be a good tool. I have the Big Shot and loved it from day one and so with Nesties and Cuttlebug products.Please I guess I need reassurance on this one,did I waste my money?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #1005  
Gallery Gazer

Default Not a waste ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dangerView Post
I just got my Cricut,and I do mostly cards and so far I've got a upset stomach thinking I wasted $400.00 and change. I just ordered Beyond Birthdays and hoping I'll find more use for this machine,so my ? is.Did other crafters have misgivings about their purchase but as they worked with it found it to be a good tool. I have the Big Shot and loved it from day one and so with Nesties and Cuttlebug products.Please I guess I need reassurance on this one,did I waste my money?
I'm sorry you aren't thrilled with your machine, but hang in there. I do mostly cards as well (no paper scrapbooking, only digital) and completely ignored the whole Cricut phase. Then ran into an old friend at Michaels when I was staring at the Sizzix dies to use with my Big Shot. Trying to decide which one to buy next and she couldn't believe I didn't have a Cricut. I got my hubby to give me a Cricut E for Christmas only I opened it early and I can honestly say I use it for almost every card I make now.

You can cut words, frames, elements for card embellishment. I haven't even used the 'card' feature on many of the cartridges, as there is so much else to cut and play with. In so many sizes!

I also loved my Nesties, Cuttlebug, and Big Shot ... but if you can see the possibilities with your Cricut I'm sure you will come to love it too. There is a bit more of a learning curve with it that the other items, so maybe that is part of what you are feeling. If you want tips, just do a search on YouTube and you will get lots of helpful information. You can also search CRICUT in the gallery and get inspiration from some of the talented crafters here at Split Coast.

Hang in there ...
Present Blog

(Old Blog)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2010, 08:43 PM   #1006  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by dangerView Post
I personally do not think you made a bad investment. A comparable machine would cost you thousands of dollars. and still not give the versatility. I love the fact that you can make things any size that you want. And do not forget other features, like engraving on glass. I engraved a lovely glass mug with my name, which I love! Imagine the personalized gifts you can make, and the money saved doing so.
My suggestion, go into resources, check YouTube for Cricut videos, and check out this site for a vast amount of ideas and suggestions on how to use your new cricut! I actually bought two and had no regrets and then my daughter got interested in crafting and I gave my smaller one to her!

http://www.heartprints.net/gallery/cricut/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2010, 09:36 PM   #1007  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: In my stamp room, stamping, painting, and gluing... with the dogs playing under my feet....

I agree with Davesgram. My husband bought me one a couple of years ago and it took me three months to successfully cut letters for a scrap book lay out. I am a pretty accomplished paper artist and can do amazing things with low tech stuff, so my husband had visions of masterpieces when he bought this thing. He was eager for me to create amazing things like the box covers, and I dreaded trying. I'm just not into fancy gadgets the way he is!

I found the learning curve steep. While some people are able to plug it in and create amazing things pretty much instantly, for some of us, the road is a little rockier. Still, I no longer regret his having spent such a ridiculous amount of money on something that still won't cut tiny five petal flowers for me LOL. And I can honestly tell you that little by little, as I am becoming more and more comfortable with it, I am using it more and more and having more success with it as well.

It has taken me a while to become marginally proficient but the more I use it, the more I appreciate it. I think for some of us, using these fancy gadgets is more challenging. I choose to think that it's because we are so naturally creative, the part of our brain that is creative is more developed than the part of the brain that we need to be able to use these fancy gadgets and doo dads with ease. (Well, that's MY story, anyway, and I'm sticking with it LOL.)

The thing I still struggle with, and the thing that keeps me from making more use of this machine, is the blade tension. If you have trouble getting a decent, crisp cut, read the section in the manual on this and make adjustments, play around with different weights of paper, and different blade tensions.

And no, I don't think you wasted your money at all. Like me, you will just learn to love it... slowly. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2010, 07:04 AM   #1008  
Stampin' Fool

i'm having a major brain fart. i went and got replacement blades yesterday, got the regular ones but they look too similiar to the deep cut blades. are they the same and the little thing that you put the blade in different? i never paid much attention before but now i have a really nice supply of reg blades and no deep cut....can someone tell me the difference between the two?

(ok, going back and finishing my dd's title for her science project....lol)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2010, 09:55 AM   #1009  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
The deep cut blades are a different angle (the sharp part). I'm not sure that the regular blades will work in the deep cut housing.
i was kind of hesitant to ask, lol cuz i didnt want to sound like a ninny...rofl...but it makes sense. i think i just bought some refills, forgot about it and then went and bought more....ontop of that, my oh so lovely dd loves to "play" in my craft stuff like she's not really supposed to do unless i'm right there, sooooo on that note i will mark them(either the little clear container that the blades come in) with a sharpie so "mom" knows which is which....lol...

btw, i re-did the size of the title for her science project because she was getting frustrated at the size. hopefully it will be "better" and she'll like it...SHE still has to assemble everything still, i just "had" to help on the size issue....(it was driving me nuts!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #1010  
Glitter Queen

Default Scal for cheap

Quote:

SCAL is a great idea, I have seen it as low as $29.00, so shop around.
May I suggest YouTube, they have some great videos of just about anything you might need to know about the Cric. And the videos link you to other great sites as reference.
Just wondering if you remeber where you might have seen it for as low as $29. The only price I seem to find it for is around $90. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #1011  
Gallery Gazer

Ditto - I have it for my Windows laptop, but for $29 I'd snag the Mac Version so I can use my Mac too!
Present Blog

(Old Blog)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 12:25 PM   #1012  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by farleyfruitsnacksView Post
Just wondering if you remeber where you might have seen it for as low as $29. The only price I seem to find it for is around $90. Thanks.
I knew someone would ask when I posted that, no I cannot remember but I remember thinking what a steal of a deal! I will try to backtrack and see if I can though. Whoever it was had that and carts were also on sale
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #1013  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

I knew someone would ask when I posted that, no I cannot remember but I remember thinking what a steal of a deal! I will try to backtrack and see if I can though. Whoever it was had that and carts were also on sale
I must take back what I said, NOT the SCAL, which I know little about, but the Design Studio for the Cricut is what I was talking about. So sorry for the confusion.

here is the DS for $39.00 and I buy from this company regularly.

http://www.ohmycrafts.com/cricut-accessories.aspx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 12:36 PM   #1014  
Gabfest Goddess

Here is SCAL:

http://www.scrappingtable.com/home.html

$75.00

Another one:
http://www.mycricutbuddy.com/index.p...products_id=16

Last edited by davesgram; 01-16-2010 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 12:45 PM   #1015  
Gabfest Goddess

http://reviews.ebay.com/Sure-Cuts-A-...00000010418965

This looks promising as information goes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #1016  
Total Quack

Quote:

http://reviews.ebay.com/Sure-Cuts-A-...00000010418965

This looks promising as information goes.

That's a little out-dated, though. You can directly import .jpg files into SCAL now.

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #1017  
Gabfest Goddess

I posted that as info for newbies who might be interested in the product. Am always looking for information to share, thanks for sharing that though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 05:41 PM   #1018  
Total Quack

Quote:

I posted that as info for newbies who might be interested in the product. Am always looking for information to share, thanks for sharing that though.

I just wanted to make sure that they weren't making an inaccurate comparison to MTC. The ability to directly import the .jpg files is only about 7 months old or so.

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #1019  
Gabfest Goddess

Then maybe you can post for info to follow up what I posted. We all love current information.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 05:48 AM   #1020  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Thanks for all the info. It really helps us newbies that could end up spending hours just researching instead of creating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 07:12 AM   #1021  
Gabfest Goddess

You are welcome, that is one of the things I like to do. I look for helpful information and I post it. If it informs me, I figure others might be informed too. If it is interesting to me, I figure it MIGHT be of interest to others. So I post. I spend I great deal of time looking and I enjoy doing it. There are several threads where many 'experts' are extremely helpful, and post lots of stuff that has really helped me out. If I find more I will post.

Have a great day all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 04:36 PM   #1022  
Total Quack

Quote:

Then maybe you can post for info to follow up what I posted. We all love current information.

That's what I was doing by posting that SCAL can now use .jpg files....or I thought I was.

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 04:50 PM   #1023  
Stampin' Fool

i've been using my cricut ALOT this past week with "helping" my dd with her project....lol..so in between with helping her i played with my "love struck" cart tonight. that chart from rubiesstudio(i know that's not the right name, but i cant think of it right now....) is so awesome i'm even post sticky some pages so i know where the paper listing is that i'm using....lol my girls that i play withon wed's saw it and said "you're making me a copy of that right? lol . i've been using quite a bit of cardstock and dp from HL and i got the setting off just by one number on the depth but it made such a huge difference!!
i made one card with the love struck cart, so far that is...

one other thing. some of my ladies that i stamp with here locally never uses their cricut rewards, they were just throwing them away!!! :o!!! so if anyone really doesnt give a hoot about their cricut reward points, pm me and give me the number off the reward cert. i'm trying to get the george shapes cart(i never got that with my expression :( )....thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #1024  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by primitiveseasonsView Post
I'm a new first time Expressions owner and you all have been so much help. I have a million questions but for now, here's one. I was making word books with my Design Studio. As I moved from page to page to send the page to the Cricut to cut,sometimes for no reason, it seems like the software is not talking to the machine. I click Cut With Cricut and nothing happens. Try over and over. Also it will tell me the mat size is too large. I have the machine set for mat 12 x 24 and the design studio the same. I don't understand why it says this. Are there a lot of glitches like these with this software. And has anyone else had trouble signing in to the Cricut.com page. It will not accept my password and I have a friend who is having the same problem. They do not get back to you with a fix either! Thanks so much.

Mary
www.primitiveseasons.blogspot.com
i'm not sure if anyone has answered you back, but i know sometimes or at least when i first started using it and it did that, the machine and the software werent in "sync" with each other...or rather yet it's called the "firmware"(the hardwired insides of the expression or any cricut for that matter). when i first got mine, short story-i had so many "problems" with it talking with each other but it turned out my machine was actually broke. the chip that "allows" the cricut to "talk" with the software was broke. they did send me a brand new machine and then i still had "issues" with it talking to each other. it took one of their IT guys to tell me that when i update the software, to also make sure the firmware is updated too.
i hope i explained that ok. where you update the firmware and it will walk you through it, is in the help section of the software up at the top.i believe it's a tab(or whatever you want to call it, lol)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #1025  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommarocksView Post
i've been using my cricut ALOT this past week with "helping" my dd with her project....lol..so in between with helping her i played with my "love struck" cart tonight. that chart from rubiesstudio(i know that's not the right name, but i cant think of it right now....) is so awesome i'm even post sticky some pages so i know where the paper listing is that i'm using....lol my girls that i play withon wed's saw it and said "you're making me a copy of that right? lol . i've been using quite a bit of cardstock and dp from HL and i got the setting off just by one number on the depth but it made such a huge difference!!
i made one card with the love struck cart, so far that is...

one other thing. some of my ladies that i stamp with here locally never uses their cricut rewards, they were just throwing them away!!! :o!!! so if anyone really doesnt give a hoot about their cricut reward points, pm me and give me the number off the reward cert. i'm trying to get the george shapes cart(i never got that with my expression :( )....thanks!!
A friend gave me her rewards cert from a cart because she wasn't going to use it, but when I tried to enter the reward number on the site, it wouldn't let me. It said that I had already entered rewards for that particular cartridge and even though this was another cartridge of the same, you could only enter the points for one. So if people give you points from cartridges that you don't own the same title it should be ok, but if you already own the title and have entered it, it won't help you.
Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 06:39 PM   #1026  
Glitter Queen

this is Danger and I'm replying to all the crafters that gave me support about my Cricut.I got Beyond Birthdays and am much happier with this investment.The paperdolls cartridge that I got in the bundle I bought leaves me cold. So until BB's I was sick about Cricut.Now it's a new day and I'm happy again. A great BIG thanks to you all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 05:55 AM   #1027  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone give me the telephone number for Cricut help? Ever since I updated the software for my Design Studio, when I go to Cricut.com all of the buttons have an "X" and I can't even log in. I know I need to call them and see what they have to say about that. I used to be able to go there, visit the community, etc. but now I can't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 09:32 AM   #1028  
Gabfest Goddess

Here ya go:

Cricut� support hours

Monday - Friday 7:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. (MST)
Cricut� support: 801-932-1144
toll free service phone: 877-7CRICUT
fax: 801-794-9001

email: [email protected]

Due to high number of inquiries, email correspondence
will be answered as soon as possible.

Please be patient as we work to
assist you in a timely manner.

Cricut�
151 East 3450 North
Spanish Fork, UT 84660
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 02:48 PM   #1029  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pamela PalmView Post
A friend gave me her rewards cert from a cart because she wasn't going to use it, but when I tried to enter the reward number on the site, it wouldn't let me. It said that I had already entered rewards for that particular cartridge and even though this was another cartridge of the same, you could only enter the points for one. So if people give you points from cartridges that you don't own the same title it should be ok, but if you already own the title and have entered it, it won't help you.
Pam
yeah, these were from carts that i didnt own due to knowing this. which reminds me i have to go back on my "inventory" and make sure i have everything registered, lol. i just couldnt believe that my friends never used their reward points(and come to find out later) and never even registered their carts.

i'm still playing with the love struck cart....this is the LAST night(as it's due tomorrow) for "working" or "helping" dd on her project....she's done really really good. done 98 percent of it all by herself(which why it's taken so long). i have to print some pages for her again to put in a project folder and she's done!!!! i'm excited to see what she'll get!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 02:54 PM   #1030  
Gabfest Goddess

I am passing the word:
Take the pledge today to never ever text or talk on a cell while driving. The Oprah show today has convinced me no phone call IS WORTH THE RISK!
Please join me in taking the pledge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #1031  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I am passing the word:
Take the pledge today to never ever text or talk on a cell while driving. The Oprah show today has convinced me no phone call IS WORTH THE RISK!
Please join me in taking the pledge!
i've seen a female putting her makeup on, doing her hair, changing her clothes AND talking on her cell phone.......i have no idea how she was doing it, but that's what happens in texas!!!! lol......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #1032  
Gabfest Goddess

My daughter takes the bus to work and school. She has had several near misses of people nearly hitting her while she walks on a green light. Now I believe it is simply distracted drivers. The show I watched today, only because I was home, really opened my eyes to the danger of distracted drivers. I know in California the number of pedestrian fatalities seems to be rising, and authorities want to do something about it, but I think it is distracted drivers who are the problem! I have resolved to not even use my bluetooth while driving. too much of a risk.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 05:44 AM   #1033  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks so much for providing the Cricut support info. I will contact them soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 06:08 AM   #1034  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmaggtView Post
You are welcome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 06:23 AM   #1035  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmaggtView Post
Me too...I made sure to print a copy of this TO KEEP..just in case I need it.

THANKS!!! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 06:23 AM   #1036  
Kookie Creator

THANKS SO MUCH for the info!!! Oops..double post!! Sorry...

Last edited by JoAnney; 01-19-2010 at 06:24 AM.. Reason: duplicate post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #1037  
Stampin' Fool

okie dokey ladies......does anyone know of a cricut cart that has a knight on it? i "may" be doing my son's graduation announcements. we're still trying to decide. his school colors are bright blue, bright yellow and white...mascot is a knight. i have found some really awesome looking ones on here both detailed and then some very simple but very gorgeous! like i said, still "throwing" around the ideas....lol

thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 03:28 PM   #1038  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommarocksView Post
okie dokey ladies......does anyone know of a cricut cart that has a knight on it? i "may" be doing my son's graduation announcements. we're still trying to decide. his school colors are bright blue, bright yellow and white...mascot is a knight. i have found some really awesome looking ones on here both detailed and then some very simple but very gorgeous! like i said, still "throwing" around the ideas....lol

thanks
Paper Doll Dress Up has a knight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2010, 07:48 AM   #1039  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmtinsleyView Post
Paper Doll Dress Up has a knight.
thanks!

sad thing now is that i got "voted" to NOT do his invitations....lol. dh "thought" i couldnt do all the embossing, crests..etc etc etc.....then my dd popped up and said "oh yes she can, she's got all that to do them" lol...(good for you girl, momma's gonna hug ya for that one, lol) but it was the amount that both my son and dh "thought" (here we go with thinking again with them two)would be too overwhelming....sheeesh, men why do they think we're incapable of something like this?

dh DID say to start on a scrapbook for him though, so that made me happy...lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2010, 08:16 AM   #1040  
Inking Addict

subbing
January Swaps: 18 Sets Completed
Reply With Quote Likes