Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-01-2014, 04:01 AM   #601  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh, right. You have to tell it to delete the image, so you could go back before you do that and play with the offset. Good to know!

It would no doubt work for more than one image as long as you did not have them so close together that when the machine cut larger offsets, it had to cut into the area needed for the image next to it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #602  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quiet it in here over the weekend. I hope that means everyone was having a good time crafting.
Worked with my SNC. Still not able to do everything I want but I think I'll get the hang of this machine eventually. I had some luck using the Scan To Cut Data mode. It seems to recognize more of the stamps. Not having as much luck cutting in the interior part of the stamp. I was trying to cut the space between a basket and the handle. If there is a way I haven't found it yet. The stamp is quite detailed and it wanted to cut all the little spaces between the wicker. But otherwise I'm happy with what I learned this weekend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 01:40 PM   #603  
Glitter Guru

If I'm picturing your image correctly, Lilyzee, I don't think you are going to be able to cut out that part between the basket and the handle. If it is a closed space. That's just a limitation to the machine at this point. See this video (I think it's been linked before, but it does specifically show the kind of thing I think you're talking about if you advance to around minute 8:30):

New Toy I got today...watch if you hate to fussy cut or spend $$$ on coordinating dies for stamps - YouTube

I tried to call Brother today to ask them for some tips on getting things to scan as well, however they were closed because of the storm. But I have seen several videos now where people say that not every stamp scans well, even if it seems like it would, and that sometimes when you try to scan multiples, it doesn't recognize them all.

I have found one blog post and one video where the person used heat-embossed images. In the video, which I'll like to here, the woman was able to get an image to scan that previously was not getting picked up by heat embossing it to make it darker. In the blog post, the man was simply doing a series of experiments and tried cutting heat embossed images:

Here's the video:
Demo - Milwaukee Heat Gun and Stamping Bella Cut with Brother Scan n Cut (Thanks to jonesbub1) - YouTube

Here's the blog post. You'll need to scroll down to get to the part where he cuts embossed images.
Brother Scan N Cut ? Test Lab 1 � Gentleman Crafter

I have been wanting to try cutting embossed images, but I won't do it until I talk to Brother and ask whether they say it's okay. I don't want to void my warranty. :-0!

I'm sure there are reasons why sometimes multiple images won't all scan, and also why some won't scan at all. I'll post what Brother says when I have a chance to talk to someone in customer service.

Here's something I did this morning that was really a pleasure - I needed to cut some masks for something I was working on, and I was able to just stamp the images on plain paper, reset the blade depth and the machine cut my masks out 1-2-3. That was nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 02:49 PM   #604  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had seen that video before. It amazes me that it wants to cut all the little pieces out of the wicker basket, but not the larger space between the handle and the basket.
I had much more luck getting good scan when I used Scan to cut Data rather than the Direct Scan.
I've been puttering around with the Scan N Cut Canvas program. I've converted some files and put them on the thumb drive. Some I've had good luck with and some not. I will say I've done enough cutting that I'm thinking of getting a new blade and mat for a back up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 03:31 PM   #605  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilyzeeView Post
Quiet it in here over the weekend. I hope that means everyone was having a good time crafting.
Worked with my SNC. Still not able to do everything I want but I think I'll get the hang of this machine eventually. I had some luck using the Scan To Cut Data mode. It seems to recognize more of the stamps. Not having as much luck cutting in the interior part of the stamp. I was trying to cut the space between a basket and the handle. If there is a way I haven't found it yet. The stamp is quite detailed and it wanted to cut all the little spaces between the wicker. But otherwise I'm happy with what I learned this weekend.
I have seen videos where people do an initial scan, then overlap the image with acetate. The image is then outlined in black dry erase marker and scanned again to get those tight space areas to cut. Then remove acetate and cut the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 03:50 PM   #606  
Glitter Guru

Oh, very interesting - you mean you leave the image in place and put acetate over it and draw around the landlocked section and rescan or do you have to remove the image after tracing out the area you want to cut? I am thinking that if you rescanned the image with the acetate over it you'd just get the same result - it would give you an outline of the whole image. But if you could trace the area, remove the image, scan and then put the image back in exactly the same place....

Can you link that video?

I saw one of the Brother "official" videos where she cuts out an image that is part of a decoupage page by putting acetate over it and tracing the image. Which seemed interesting but left me thinking "I could fussy cut that better than I could trace the edge with a dry-erase pen." The whole point of letting the machine scan and cut is to get a fussy cut that is BETTER than you could do. (Or faster.)

But what you are talking about sounds like a very viable workaround, Diane. I just would like to understand the steps, exactly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 04:37 PM   #607  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DISCLAIMER I don't own this machine yet.

For cuts such as between a basket and handle can you scan and set your area to include the section between the handle and basket fully and little else. Then cut. Then scan again for the line cut. And then cut never moving the image until both cuts are finished.

Last edited by RiverIsis; 03-03-2014 at 04:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #608  
Glitter Guru

No, you can't set your area in that way. You have three choices of cutting selection: outline (which cuts all the way around the outline of the image), line (which cuts out everything and leaves you just the lines), or region (which cuts out all the areas between all the lines and sounds like it does the same thing as lines but actually doesn't). You cannot instruct the machine to cut "only this area". It's an all or nothing thing.

However - using the acetate might work IF you put your image on the mat, taped an acetate overlay over it, traced your small landlocked area, slipped some white paper between the acetate and the image to make the image "invisible", and then scanned to get JUST the landlocked area you traced on the acetate. Remove the white paper and the acetate and then cut your image (which would be a cut of just the area you traced). Then leave the image on the mat, rescan for a normal outline direct cut, and cut the entire image outline out.

Or just fussy cut the landlocked area. Which in many cases might be the fastest thing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 05:03 PM   #609  
Stazon Splitcoast

So that bit about cropping the area so the machine only reads an area within the crop doesn't work for part of an image? Shame that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 06:13 PM   #610  
Glitter Guru

That's right - cropping is to limit the size of the area the machine will cut in. So if you have more than one image on your page and only want to cut one, or the scan picks up some stray mark on the paper, or picks up your cuts in the mat, you can resize the area to leave them out. You set the parameters of the area that you want the blade to stay inside of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #611  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
So that bit about cropping the area so the machine only reads an area within the crop doesn't work for part of an image? Shame that.
The machine doesn't read an image like that. It sees it as a whole, a scanned image, not created image. The Gypsy does that where you can hide part of an image but even that has its limitaion. I don't know of any machine that will do what you are talking about with having a computer software program. Speaking of which, if you used an image editing program and saved it as two separate cut outs then it would work. Does that make any sense? I think I've managed to confuse myself! LOL!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2014, 04:13 AM   #612  
Glitter Guru

I don't know how you would then get the shape you saved directly over the exact spot in your image. But I have not fooled around with using the Background scanning feature, and it actually might be possible using that. Maybe someone else has played with that function. It would be a lot of work just to cut a single small area out of a single image, I think.

I think the acetate thing would work, though. I'll give it a try myself when I get some time.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 03-04-2014 at 04:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2014, 06:24 AM   #613  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiding in My Craft RoomView Post
The machine doesn't read an image like that. It sees it as a whole, a scanned image, not created image. The Gypsy does that where you can hide part of an image but even that has its limitaion. I don't know of any machine that will do what you are talking about with having a computer software program. Speaking of which, if you used an image editing program and saved it as two separate cut outs then it would work. Does that make any sense? I think I've managed to confuse myself! LOL!!
Actually I think this can possible be done. In Paper crafters Scan n Cut pt. 2 video, she actually scans in a piece of patterned paper as direct to cut, then put the bounding box around a flower she wanted. This was saved as a pattern. She then went back into the patterns and selected the file she made. The machine then cut out each individual petal. I bet this could be done with a stamped image as well, depending on the area. It may work to cut out the negative space between a basket handle and the basket. Watch the video starting around the 42:00 point. It would be nice if someone could try this out and see if it works.

PaperCrafter's Corner Presents: Product Review - Brother ScanNCut (Pt. 2) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2014, 06:29 AM   #614  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh, also forgot to say that the remaining piece of paper could be used as a nice stencil.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2014, 06:50 AM   #615  
Glitter Guru

Yes, it would be interesting to see if she made the bounding box small enough, would you be able to limit the cut area to, say, the area between a basket and a handle. Is it me, or does she never demonstrate how she cuts out the small feathers on the patterned paper? She shows you in the beginning that she did it, but I can't find it on the video, and that interested me.

I have seen this video already, but now that I have the machine and have some experience with it, I need to set aside time to watch the video again. There's a lot there, and it's a long video. But it does give you a good idea of each scanning function.

I have yet to play with background scanning. I wonder if it would allow you to also separate out parts for paper piecing (wouldn't that be nice.)

Well, one of us should try this out and report back, definitely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2014, 07:19 AM   #616  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaView Post
Actually I think this can possible be done. In Paper crafters Scan n Cut pt. 2 video, she actually scans in a piece of patterned paper as direct to cut, then put the bounding box around a flower she wanted. This was saved as a pattern. She then went back into the patterns and selected the file she made. The machine then cut out each individual petal. I bet this could be done with a stamped image as well, depending on the area. It may work to cut out the negative space between a basket handle and the basket. Watch the video starting around the 42:00 point. It would be nice if someone could try this out and see if it works.

PaperCrafter's Corner Presents: Product Review - Brother ScanNCut (Pt. 2) - YouTube
I will have to check that out! I was just thinking she was asking about just scanning and then it 'seeing' different parts of an image without any other manipulation. Good to know that without any other software just possibly saving it could work! Thanks!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 08:59 AM   #617  
Glitter Guru

Default Multiple image scanning problems and cutting embossed images - I asked Brother:

I finally put in a call to Brother about the issues some of us are having with the machine leaving out images when scanning multiples. Here is what I was told:

The problem could be due to -
Direct light shining onto the front or back of the machine
Debris on the scanner
Ripples in the material being scanned (card stock not stuck down completely flat)
The machine can become "overwhelmed" by too many images, or extremely complex images.

That first one - the direct light thing - was confusing to me. Isn't the scanner underneath the machine? Answer is no. It is actually on the front and back of the machine, but low down, so that direct light shining at it could mess things up. I confess I still can't picture this, but that's what I was told.

I also asked whether it was considered okay to scan and cut heat-embossed images. My customer service person told me that Brother had not done any testing on that, so he couldn't say if it would work. (He also didn't actually know what I was talking about, either, I had to explain what EP was and he had to put me on hold. Nice guy, but clearly not a paper crafter.) I told him I wasn't asking if it would work, only if doing it would void the warranty if some EP chipped off and got into the machine, for instance. He said since no testing had been done, he couldn't say yes or no. I again asked whether a problem resulting from cutting embossed images would void the warranty, he said that would be up to the service technician. So the answer to this question is unanswered. I guess we are on our own. I think I'll post on Facebook about it and see if I get an answer. I have seen one video and one blog post where people are doing it. The woman in the video covered her images with acetate during the scan process to keep any possible stray EP from getting into the machine, the guy who did the blog post just scanned and cut without any kind of protection.

I said I'd call and ask about the scanning issues, so I'm posting this as promised. It wouldn't be bad if someone else called and asked (another rep). I asked my rep to give me every "get the best scan" tip he had. Someone else might have more to say. We need to collect all the info we can.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #618  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I finally put in a call to Brother about the issues some of us are having with the machine leaving out images when scanning multiples. Here is what I was told:

The problem could be due to -
Direct light shining onto the front or back of the machine
Debris on the scanner
Ripples in the material being scanned (card stock not stuck down completely flat)
The machine can become "overwhelmed" by too many images, or extremely complex images.

That first one - the direct light thing - was confusing to me. Isn't the scanner underneath the machine? Answer is no. It is actually on the front and back of the machine, but low down, so that direct light shining at it could mess things up. I confess I still can't picture this, but that's what I was told.

I also asked whether it was considered okay to scan and cut heat-embossed images. My customer service person told me that Brother had not done any testing on that, so he couldn't say if it would work. (He also didn't actually know what I was talking about, either, I had to explain what EP was and he had to put me on hold. Nice guy, but clearly not a paper crafter.) I told him I wasn't asking if it would work, only if doing it would void the warranty if some EP chipped off and got into the machine, for instance. He said since no testing had been done, he couldn't say yes or no. I again asked whether a problem resulting from cutting embossed images would void the warranty, he said that would be up to the service technician. So the answer to this question is unanswered. I guess we are on our own. I think I'll post on Facebook about it and see if I get an answer. I have seen one video and one blog post where people are doing it. The woman in the video covered her images with acetate during the scan process to keep any possible stray EP from getting into the machine, the guy who did the blog post just scanned and cut without any kind of protection.

I said I'd call and ask about the scanning issues, so I'm posting this as promised. It wouldn't be bad if someone else called and asked (another rep). I asked my rep to give me every "get the best scan" tip he had. Someone else might have more to say. We need to collect all the info we can.
This is really helpful and makes sense to me. So sitting in dim light...better for scanning. I wondered about that since scanners usually have a lid they want you to close. I am going to experiment and see if this makes a difference...it's pretty bright in my craftroom.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #619  
Polyshrink Goddess

Our new theme song, "scanning in the dark" lol, but it's working better for me to scan with the light off,so whatever it takes, I guess.

if anyone else has time to test this, I'd appreciate that.

Last edited by iluv2color; 03-05-2014 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: we need more testing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 12:58 PM   #620  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluv2colorView Post
Our new theme song, "scanning in the dark" lol, but it's working better for me to scan with the light off,so whatever it takes, I guess.

if anyone else has time to test this, I'd appreciate that.
I will try to test this tonight and will report back if I am able to do so.

That would be awesome if dimming the light in my studio would solve the problem!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #621  
Glitter Guru

Better with the light off, really? Amazing! We all need to try and report back!

The thing is, I don't have a light directly over my SNC. But I have a very large and bright light over my worktable, which is at a right angle to the table where my machine is. I suppose that light could be affecting scans.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 04:00 PM   #622  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Well, I tried this tonight, with mixed results.

I stamped three images on a plum colored cardstock with a darker plum ink. With the overhead light off, my machine recognized two of the images.

Then I stamped the same image 6 times on a lighter shade of plum cardstock with the same ink. The overhead light was on and the machine recognized & cut all six images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 04:46 PM   #623  
Glitter Guru

Personally, I don't think overhead lights are the problem.

The guy said a light "shining into the front or back of the machine." Not an overhead light. But I looked at the manual to find out where the scanner is, and it shows how to clean it, and it's on the bottom of the machine, just like I thought. So I don't know what to think about that particular injunction.

I do know that contrast between paper and image helps, and that if lines are not thick or dark enough the machine won't read them. And I do think that if the paper isn't dead flat it will throw off a scan.

Maybe I need to call another day and talk to a different rep. Sigh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #624  
Polyshrink Goddess

It's hard to know what a test really means because of variables. The ink I used sometimes made a difference and other times it didn't seem to. The amount of images seemed to matter, as well or not....I'm not getting consistency enough to say...do this and you will always get this result...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #625  
Gallery Gazer

So I wanted to test my SNC on mutliple images; I had missed the earlier conversavition about it! My machine didn't have ANY issues cutting out the three images but when I went to see if it would cut multiple mats it did some wonky things.

My lighting is not so good in my craft room but I was shooting a video and had an Ott light shining on the machine during scanning and cutting. The images were digital. So they were printed, Bitty Bugs from Sweet N Sassy Stamps!

Just a thought, maybe it doesn't like shadows???? So either a lot of lighting like I'm doing or trying to do or hardly any???? Like I said, just a thought!
Attached Thumbnails
Brother Scan and Cut Machine-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 09:09 PM   #626  
Gallery Gazer

I couldn't figure out how to upload two pictures at the same time. Maybe it's my ipad!

But here's my finished card. I went ahead and used the wonky mats. I just cut off the bad antennas! Also, I did the sentiment with the SNC! Have I said how much I LOOOOVE this machine! The quilting patterns, you can change the proportions to cut the EXACT size you want! WOOHOO!!
Attached Thumbnails
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2014, 12:51 AM   #627  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 348 Likes on 135 Posts

Very cute!

I have just finished a card in a box with a lot more fussy cut elements than I would have used pre-SNC. I have only used it twice so far but so far so good. My main challenge is keeping my craft buddy kitty away from it I am certain that kitty hair and tacky mats are not a good combination!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2014, 04:22 AM   #628  
Glitter Guru

Laurie - here's what I'm thinking: I think the light issue is really about a light shining directly into the front and back, not overhead. And even that I wonder about, since I went and looked at the manual, and it shows how to clean the scanner glass and the scanner glass is on the BOTTOM of the machine as I thought. I need to call them again and ask for clarification. (Or anyone else? Feel free to do that, say you read it in the forum and want to know more about it.)

But as to your wonky mats (adorable card by the way!) - I'm trying to figure out (well, guess) why the mats would have turned out that way for two of your images. Did you scan once and cut the original image and then have the machine cut two more times without rescanning, but with bigger offsets each time? Or did you scan three times, once for each cut?

Last edited by Rachelrose; 03-06-2014 at 04:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2014, 06:53 AM   #629  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Laurie - here's what I'm thinking: I think the light issue is really about a light shining directly into the front and back, not overhead. And even that I wonder about, since I went and looked at the manual, and it shows how to clean the scanner glass and the scanner glass is on the BOTTOM of the machine as I thought. I need to call them again and ask for clarification. (Or anyone else? Feel free to do that, say you read it in the forum and want to know more about it.)

But as to your wonky mats (adorable card by the way!) - I'm trying to figure out (well, guess) why the mats would have turned out that way for two of your images. Did you scan once and cut the original image and then have the machine cut two more times without rescanning, but with bigger offsets each time? Or did you scan three times, once for each cut?
I scanned them in all at the same time, only once. Then just with the image still on the screen went back and changed the border. Not sure why then it cut the mat woth a wonky antenne. Especially on the one that gave me a good first mat then the second went weird. The butterfly was fine, all three layers.

Last edited by Hiding in My Craft Room; 03-06-2014 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: Butterfly not ladybug
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2014, 07:09 AM   #630  
Glitter Guru

Then all I can think is that there was something very close to those two images on the mat - maybe a mark on the paper - and it got included when you increased the offset (in the case of one it was close enough to affect both mats and in the case of the other only the largest pink mat) and so the machine cut around it and in doing so cut into the antennae part of your mats. Do you remember if the machine cut those wonky mats all in one go, or did it cut around and then cut the go back and cut out those weird spaces?

I'd try this again with those two images if you have time, and look really close at the results of the scan outline to see if there's any tiny thing close to the image that it's picking up. Even a stray stamping mark - you know how sometimes you get ink on your edge and it leaves a mark near your image...

Because it worked perfectly on the one image. And if you look at the wonky ones, you can see how they would be the right shape, except that parts have been cut out.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 03-06-2014 at 07:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2014, 07:33 AM   #631  
Gallery Gazer

I didn't notice how it cut it out. These were a digital print out so I don't think there were any smudges but could have been. The antennae themselves have a curly that comes in but it didn't cut it out of just the image with the first cut. And then in one mat it cut it perfectly then the second cut out something weird. I just figured when it went to cut the antennae bigger it got carried away with the inside. I really wish the screen was bigger or it had a better zoom.

It's a machine! Some things happen! I'm still totally in love with it!

I will try it again when I get a chance. Good idea!

FYI, I haven't had to do anything with my mat yet. Still sticky! Knock on wood!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2014, 08:56 AM   #632  
Glitter Guru

In the end we have to remember that this is software in a machine that responds to a scan. The scanner can be great, but the software is where the outlines are generated. Like you say, it's not going to be perfect every time. I have had some glitches, but I also feel very happy with the machine and feel like I've only just scratched the surface of what I might do with it. If they rework the software and improve it, we can update. But in the meantime, I'm not expecting this thing to do everything perfectly every single time. Of the several types of e-cutters out there, this is the first one that does what I want to do, which is why I've never owned an e-cutter until now.

So we will all just have to press on and learn from each other as we go. I'd do some more of this kind of cutting if I were you, maybe different images, and see if you consistently have problems. If so, you would want to call Brother. If it's just a glitch here and there, then you just work around it, like you are doing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2014, 07:05 PM   #633  
Gallery Gazer

Well, I tried to cut the bugs again and it did the exact same thing. I mean EXACTLY! I think that maybe when the border gets larger around the antenea it sees the swirls as bigger and tries to cut around them. However, it cut the original scan perfectly! So it is actualy doing what it's suppose to I am just trying to push it further!

I do think that lighting might be an issue. Not with this cut but I noticed that today when I scanned some images in there were some weird streaks showing up. I have an uncovered window across the room that lets in direct sunlight that was shining on the back of the machine. I covered it up and then no more shreaks! I think that it might have still cut fine though because it was 'seeing' the images and didn't seem to want to cut out the streaks. I was just trying to get it to 'see' one image that it NEVER did see. I think the lines just aren't dark enough. So I cut a scalloped circle around it! Problem solved!

My kids are enjoying coloring cut outs!
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Hiding in My Craft Room; 03-06-2014 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: forgot to add picture
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2014, 07:13 PM   #634  
Gallery Gazer

Anyone update to the 1.10? I did and I don't think I like it. Now every time I change the cutting area it takes the time process it, 'processing'! It didn't do that before!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2014, 04:24 AM   #635  
Glitter Guru

I think your explanation about the antenna does make sense. But if you wanted to you might call Brother and tell them what's happening and ask if you can send them the picture you posted of those images and mats and let them look at it. I did that with a "problem" image and someone called me back about it. It would be good information for everyone, we are all trying to figure out what can and won't scan, and how to get the best scans.

I haven't updated yet. The update was supposedly something about allowing you to specify a scanning area in Canvas (if I am remembering correctly) and I'm not really using Canvas yet so I didn't bother. If you call Brother you can ask about that as well and post their reply!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2014, 11:14 AM   #636  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just read through all 17 pages and loooked at a lot of videos. I'm thinking about buying this machine (DH asked me what he could get for my birthday that I would never buy for myself, so I started thinking outside the box!).

I don't have a any e-cutter experience, I'm a Mac user, and I am reasonable technically savvy - I'm comfortable manipulating images in programs like powerpoint but not have not yet learned to use Photoshop Elements -it is on my to do list. I have a few questions I haven't seen answered.

Has anyone tried cutting shrink plastic? Any tips and tricks?

How long does the cutting blade last? Anyone had to replace theirs yet?

What materials do you need the deep cut blade for?

What is the thickest material you have cut successfully?

How many fonts are on the machine, and can you cut out welded letters with them without a lot of trouble? Is there a list of fonts?

Thanks for any response - and thanks to all who have shared so much info already! -Karen

Last edited by karjor; 03-08-2014 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #637  
Glitter Guru

Karen - I can speak to a few of your questions, and others will no doubt join in with answers based on their own experiences.

This is my first e-cutter. I am also working on a Mac.

I have the less expensive machine and it has 5 resident fonts. They are pretty basic - a couple of serif fonts, one heavier than the other, a block-style sans-serif font, a stencil type font and a script font that looks like Zapf Chancery - but fairly useful. However, you can print out any text in any font off your computer from any program and then scan it into the machine and save it as a data file. Then, load your card stock and cut it out. I've done that (the word "Love") on this card:

Love Is Beautiful

There is a page of "tips and tricks" on the Brother website. Click on the section heading to open it up. There's some discussion of using materials other than card stock:

Free Craft Tips | Arts and Craft Tricks Using the Brother ScanNCut

I have not cut anything thicker than 140 lb. watercolor paper yet (with no problems), so others will have to speak to that. No plastic or vinyl, either. I have not used the deep blade yet. According to the manual, you would use it for fabric (like felt) which is 1mm thick or more.

I've had my machine since the end of January, so no blade change yet.

I'd love to hear from some others who have cut felt and different papers myself. I have some thick mulberry paper I want to cut.

Really, though, there is a way to do a test cut for anything. The machine gives you that option so that you can see if you've got everything adjusted correctly.

Hope that helps and I look forward to reading about what others have to say.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 03-08-2014 at 11:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #638  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I still haven't tried my machine. I want to but I am slightly intimidated!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2014, 11:18 PM   #639  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 348 Likes on 135 Posts

Diane - that was me last week; I'd had my machine 3 weeks, read all these posts about problems with mats etc and felt a bit intimidated. It's my first e-cutter. The manual contains some tutorials, so to break the ice, I worked through the first one (cutting a built-in pattern), then started playing and it's all been good so far.

Take the plunge. You won't regret it

On my machine, the blade needs to be set to a lower number than it says on the quick start guide. Start with the blade on a low number, test it and increase it if you need to in order to make it cut. That way you're less likely to damage your mat.

Go for it, and good luck.

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2014, 08:31 AM   #640  
Glitter Guru

Default YES! Lighting does make a difference!

Apparently the whole "not shining a light into the machine" thing is true. I had a very surprising experience this morning and am posting about it here. Forgive the pics, they are not the best, but I'm sure you will get the gist.

I started with an image that I'd stamped using Versafine Onyx and then colored with pencils:

Brother Scan and Cut Machine-snclighttestimagea.jpg

I did have to use a pen to close up some small gaps in three places in the image, so it would have a completely solid outline, which I did as I colored. I scanned the image and... nothing. It would not scan at all. This made no sense, so I tried again. Nothing. It didn't pick up an outline at all. I figured that maybe the image just was not dark enough and this might be the moment to try heat embossing and then scanning. But before I did, just for the heck of it, I reached over turned off the nearest of my desk lamps. Here's my set-up:

Brother Scan and Cut Machine-snclightteststudiosetup.jpg

The one I turned off was Light A. Light B was left on. I didn't have any overhead lighting on, I didn't really need it. There's a swing arm lamp you can't see, mounted to the wall over the far left end of the table my machine is on, and it also was left on. It's a shaded wall lamp, with only a 60 watt bulb, though. (For the record, Both lights A and B are daylight fluorescents. Light B looks so honking huge because it has a magnifying lens in it).

After turning Light A off, (again, Light B was still on) I rescanned and the results were perfect. PERFECT. Here's the cut image (no offset):

Brother Scan and Cut Machine-snclighttestcutimage.jpg

By golly, I didn't think it could make a difference, but it does! I hope this is helpful to others. I guess the lesson is - if your image is not scanning, do try turning off lights near your machine before you give up. ;-)!
Reply With Quote Likes