Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-21-2014, 05:59 PM   #761  
Glitter Guru

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It should be exactly the same. Whether the image is one that came preloaded or whether it's one you saved into the machine or thumb drive. Just select Pattern and find your image.

Where are you getting hung up? Is the image in the machine or on a thumb drive? Did you import it from the Canvas program or scan it into the machine and save it?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2014, 07:20 PM   #762  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
It should be exactly the same. Whether the image is one that came preloaded or whether it's one you saved into the machine or thumb drive. Just select Pattern and find your image.

Where are you getting hung up? Is the image in the machine or on a thumb drive? Did you import it from the Canvas program or scan it into the machine and save it?
I used a rubber stamp to scan to the machine. I must be doing something wrong though with the scanning. When I save something only partial of my image is highlighted when I go to do anything with it. I am going to have to watch some more videos I guess of how to scan.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2014, 08:06 PM   #763  
Compulsive Stamper

Ok, so i figured out that I had my cut area set up wrong and have fixed that. And I am now correctly saving my images but I still cannot resize them and will continue to research what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for the help RachelRose!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2014, 03:49 AM   #764  
Glitter Guru

The quickest and easiest thing to do is to call Brother, lovestamping2. Someone in Scan N Cut customer service can walk you through the process and troubleshoot along the way.

Not to say don't post about your issues here! Everyone is here to help each other and we learn from each other through working through issues people are having. I'd need a little more info about what you are doing exactly to venture a guess about what might be the problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2014, 10:04 AM   #765  
Compulsive Stamper

Not loving Brother C.S. nor their product so far. C.S. wanted to know which You Tube video I had watched that was so unhelpful for me and I got the feeling the way she asked me she was going to watch it too. I only wanted her to walk me through how to use my machine to resize. I had to wait for her to go find a machine and set it up so she could walk me through it. You'd think they'd know their machine better than that. After all that she was stumped and said she couldn't help me and said someone would be calling me back. I've been waiting around all morning and no phone calls. She also said she would be emailing me the steps to resize my images. Hasn't happened. Like I said, not loving Brother. :o(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2014, 12:33 PM   #766  
Glitter Guru

I have had a similar experience - someone in C.S. could not help me and said someone would call me back. I did get a call back from a supervisor (but it did take until late in the day) and she was extremely knowledgable and helpful. If you don't hear from someone today, it could mean they are backed up or the supervisor assigned to you is out (that happened to me too one time and I was called the next day). Call again first thing tomorrow and make it plain that were told you would be called and that you are waiting for a call and expect to hear from them.

Don't give up. There seems to be two levels there - the people on the front lines and the supervisors. The people you get to first vary in how well they know the machine (to be fair, they have helped me several times) but the supervisors are far better. They will ask you to email you files so that they can look at them and generally be very thorough.

Keep us posted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2014, 12:39 PM   #767  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

I had a similar experience - someone in C.S. could not help me and said someone would call me back. I did get a call back from a supervisor and she was extremely knowledgable and helpful. If you don't hear from someone today, call again first thing tomorrow and make it plain that were told you would be called and that you are waiting for a call and expect to hear from them.

Don't give up. There seems to be two levels there - the people on the front lines and the supervisors. The people you get to first vary in how well they know the machine (to be fair, they have helped me several times) but the supervisors are far better. They will ask you to email you files so that they can look at them and generally be very thorough.

Keep us posted.
Thanks for the encouragement. I called again and I got a recording that says they are down for system maintenance. I will keep trying and keep you posted. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2014, 07:21 AM   #768  
Compulsive Stamper

I just got off the phone with C.S. Bad news for me. They told me to take it to a service center as it does not seem to be able to save my files. I JUST passed HSN's 30 day limit too so it's too late to return it. I also dumped the box already so I can't plead my case with HSN. That's my fault for not playing with it enough to find out it's a dud. On the bright side I WAS feeling like an idiot for not being able to use it like everyone else is! :o)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2014, 07:38 AM   #769  
Glitter Guru

Is there a service center near you or will you have to mail it? I'm so sorry your machine was a lemon! Bah!

But you're right - at least you'll know that when you get the new one, it will do what you want it to. It wasn't you, it was the machine. Good on you for being able to see the bright side.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2014, 08:11 AM   #770  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Is there a service center near you or will you have to mail it? I'm so sorry your machine was a lemon! Bah!

But you're right - at least you'll know that when you get the new one, it will do what you want it to. It wasn't you, it was the machine. Good on you for being able to see the bright side.
I didn't even think about having to mail it! There's another bright side for me to focus on as the center is only about 20 minutes away from me.

I also found out the reason why I didn't get a call back yesterday. They were celebrating their 60th anniversary and they gave their employees the rest of the day off and she had forgotten all about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2014, 08:16 AM   #771  
Glitter Guru

Yes, like I said, that happened to me - someone was supposed to call me and it turned out she was actually off that day. I was annoyed, but once she did call me the next day I was very satisfied with her help.

You are SO lucky to have a service center near you! Not many of us do. :-)!

Sounds like you will be up and running very soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #772  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovestamping2View Post
I just got off the phone with C.S. Bad news for me. They told me to take it to a service center as it does not seem to be able to save my files. I JUST passed HSN's 30 day limit too so it's too late to return it. I also dumped the box already so I can't plead my case with HSN. That's my fault for not playing with it enough to find out it's a dud. On the bright side I WAS feeling like an idiot for not being able to use it like everyone else is! :o)
You definitely have to be pro active concerning products and companies these days. I am currently working with We Are Memory Keepers CS as I received a faulty Evolution Advance from HSN. Got it Monday with the knob missing...called the number in the box and was told they would call back....by afternoon,I was calling again and this time they requested a photo of the problem...emailed that...same person called back and said they would be able to replace the knob. I asked for an approximate timeline...she said Thursday....so Thursday comes and I get an email saying they are working on it...if I do not get the knob by the middle of next week,it's got to go back to HSN...so they don't have much time to string me along....They should have just sent me a new machine because it was carelessness on their part. I would have gladly sent back the machine minus the extra goodies.
Glad you are seeing the positives...it's hard when you are in the middle of it. And no fault of your own...just shoddy work and bad inspection procedures to blame. Take care,Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2014, 09:31 AM   #773  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovestamping2View Post
You might call customer service at HSN and give it a shot. If the machine is actually defective, maybe they will take it back, even though it is over due and you don't have the box. They have pretty good customer service I've found with things I've ordered from them through the years.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #774  
Stazon Splitcoast

What's the manufacturer's warantee on it? Normally they are at least a year on these sorts of electronics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #775  
Glitter Guru

The warranty is for 1 year for parts, labor and accompanying accessory items and 2 years for electronics and printed circuit boards (excluding labor). I'm copying this off the Brother website. It's a PDF file and I can't seem to link it. Just search on Scan N Cut warranty and you should be able to get to the full document.

My experience has been that once you are dealing with them - and not with Amazon or HSN or whoever else you bought the machine from - they are going to FIX your machine, not replace it, unless it is not fixable.

I agree with Bugga - it wouldn't hurt to call HSN and tell them what is going on. If you stress that you are JUST outside the 30 days and now have to shlep the machine all the way to a service center, and how disappointed you are about it, they might see it as good business practice to give you the benefit of the doubt and simply replace the machine.

But you are close enough to a service center that even if they say no, you're still in good shape. The machine will be fixed or replaced.

Karen is right. You really have to be very pro-active with companies. There are some that just always give fast and excellent customer service, and some who - like Brother - give good customer service most of the time but need to be pressured some of the time, and some that you have to stay on top of constantly.

Keep us posted - I am very interested in how this process goes, as I'm sure many others are.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #776  
Mad Swapper

Has anyone had problems with not getting consistent cuts? Same image would cut the outline once, next time it would cut the nose and eyes out. We tried an AI stamp and it would just highlight the lenses of the sunglasses and cut them. I looked back through the thread but didn't see that discussed. We are thinking the machine my be defective. My SIL has talked to Brother, tried all their suggestions to no avail. She's waiting for a reply to her last email. Thanks, Debbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2014, 03:14 PM   #777  
Mad Swapper

I have a question, does anybody know if you order the Brother ScanNCut do you automatically get lifetime support?

I saw the "as seen on tv" and it indicates that you get lifetime customer service, so I was wondering if this is the case, where ever you buy it from.

Thanks for your help!

[FONT=Verdana] [SIZE=5]Donna M.
SPLITCOAST FAN CLUB MEMBER
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #778  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 691 Likes on 355 Posts

I have received mine, opened it up, and used it. I scanned in SU Whisper White Cardstock with 8 images on it. First I just cut out one, and it worked beautifully. Then I ran it through again and cut the remaining images. I was able to get the images up fine, but the rest of the whisper white cardstock stuck in pieces to the standard map, and I can't get the pieces off with a spatula. I can't find any answers about this in the manual. How do I get the pieces of CS of my mat, and how do I prevent this from happening in the future. I would appreciate any tips you can give me. Thanks. :-) LM

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #779  
Polyshrink Goddess

Now that many folks seem to have gotten their SnCs from the various sources, can you all tell me what is the heaviest weight material you have successfully cut? CS weight? Cereal Box chipboard? I ended up getting a KNK Zing instead, which I am loving, but I know its learning curve is not for everyone. Some of my friends and family have admired my Zing, and I want to tell them about the alternatives.

And how long are you blades lasting?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2014, 01:26 PM   #780  
Glitter Guru

LMstamps, it sounds like you were cutting images with some intricate detail, so that you have skinny pieces to pull up. Yes? I have had that happen when I was doing cuts with no offset. The tail ends of a small bird ripped off. There's no secret to getting stuff off the mat. I am pretty sure that if you call Brother customer service they will tell you to use the spatula and be careful. I found it helped to always start with the larger part of the image and the ease the tiny bits off slowly, using the spatula to help. I also sometimes use a small triangular palette knife, which is thinner than the spatula, but you have to be very careful not to dig anything metal into the mat. Dimples in the mat can affect scanning.

That said, I have to tell you that you will probably be posting about the opposite problem within a short time. The mats lose their stickiness pretty fast. People have different ways of dealing with that. I routinely use painter's tape to keep my card stock stuck to the mat at this point, or I Dotto the back, or both.

karjor - I just changed my blade a couple of weeks ago and I got my machine at the end of January. I don't use the machine incessantly, but I do use it a lot, and I use very heavy weight card stock much of the time (Gina K and PTI, which are much heavier than, say, SU), and I have to set my blade at 6 to reliably go through it. Which it does. I haven't tried anything heavier than that. The manual gives settings for material up to 0.5mm poster board (using the standard blade) and 1mm thick felt (using the deep cutting blade), so I would assume those are the limits.

Glad you are liking your Zing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2014, 08:17 AM   #781  
Stazon Splitcoast

Rachel...thanks for answering. No, that was not the problem, I was cutting the Perfect Blend cup images. I had no problem getting the images up. It was the rest of the cardstock. I think the problem which are not small or detailed. I think the problem might have been that I kept running the same paper through the machine without lifting up the cardstock. I googled and found the suggestion to take the leftover cardstock off with wet wipes that have no alcohol in them. I didn't have any that were without alcohol, so I used the green container for sensitive skin because I figured it had less alcohol. That took all the leftover off, and didn't hurt the stickiness. From a suggestion I saw awhile back on this thread, I bought some spray adhesive that I will use on my mat when it stops being sticky. :-) LM

Quote:

LMstamps, it sounds like you were cutting images with some intricate detail, so that you have skinny pieces to pull up. Yes? I have had that happen when I was doing cuts with no offset. The tail ends of a small bird ripped off. There's no secret to getting stuff off the mat. I am pretty sure that if you call Brother customer service they will tell you to use the spatula and be careful. I found it helped to always start with the larger part of the image and the ease the tiny bits off slowly, using the spatula to help. I also sometimes use a small triangular palette knife, which is thinner than the spatula, but you have to be very careful not to dig anything metal into the mat. Dimples in the mat can affect scanning.

That said, I have to tell you that you will probably be posting about the opposite problem within a short time. The mats lose their stickiness pretty fast. People have different ways of dealing with that. I routinely use painter's tape to keep my card stock stuck to the mat at this point, or I Dotto the back, or both.

karjor - I just changed my blade a couple of weeks ago and I got my machine at the end of January. I don't use the machine incessantly, but I do use it a lot, and I use very heavy weight card stock much of the time (Gina K and PTI, which are much heavier than, say, SU), and I have to set my blade at 6 to reliably go through it. Which it does. I haven't tried anything heavier than that. The manual gives settings for material up to 0.5mm poster board (using the standard blade) and 1mm thick felt (using the deep cutting blade), so I would assume those are the limits.

Glad you are liking your Zing!

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2014, 08:53 AM   #782  
Glitter Guru

Oh, now that you explain it, it makes sense. Good to hear you figured it out.

Still, rest assured that you can look forward to the opposite problem before too long! Although you seem to be well prepared! ;-)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2014, 04:05 PM   #783  
Stazon Splitcoast

Woo Hoo!! Here is my first set of cards made using my Scan 'N Cut. I used it for cuttingtrhe cups out of cardstock, the two different DSP's I used for paper piecing, as well as the crumb cake for the coffee bands. I made 4 of these cards, so 24 coffee cup images had to be fussycut...I am SO glad I had my machine to fussy cut these in no time at all.

Perfect Blend Cards by LMstamps - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

LM :-)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2014, 05:41 PM   #784  
Mad Swapper

Ok, ladies, I have heard nothing but positive things about this Brother ScanNCut, I'm taking the plunge and ordering it! I was telling my girlfriends about it at lunch today and for the first time, I was justifying why I was buying the lower priced one and they started laughing at me! LOL! But, when we get together for our play date, they will want to get their own!

[FONT=Verdana] [SIZE=5]Donna M.
SPLITCOAST FAN CLUB MEMBER
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2014, 06:16 PM   #785  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMstampsView Post
Woo Hoo!! Here is my first set of cards made using my Scan 'N Cut. I used it for cuttingtrhe cups out of cardstock, the two different DSP's I used for paper piecing, as well as the crumb cake for the coffee bands. I made 4 of these cards, so 24 coffee cup images had to be fussycut...I am SO glad I had my machine to fussy cut these in no time at all.

Perfect Blend Cards by LMstamps - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

LM :-)
Your coffee cards are so cute! Glad you got your machine working like you want it to!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2014, 12:25 AM   #786  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I am loving my Scan n Cut now that I finally broke it out of the box.

I heard that Joann's is going to start carrying their supplies. Might be just online but not sure. I am hoping they will stock the scanning mat. That will save the adhesive mat some because it will be used for scanning and the adhesive mat for cutting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2014, 01:52 AM   #787  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeCraftView Post
I am loving my Scan n Cut now that I finally broke it out of the box.

I heard that Joann's is going to start carrying their supplies. Might be just online but not sure. I am hoping they will stock the scanning mat. That will save the adhesive mat some because it will be used for scanning and the adhesive mat for cutting.
I may be confused but I don't think it will work like that as to use the scan and cut feature it will need to not be moved or you wont have a chance at an even border.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2014, 04:03 AM   #788  
Glitter Guru

The scanning mat is for scanning to save as cut data - something you will be saving to your machine or a flash drive for later cutting.

The standard mat is for scanning to direct cut - to cut out exactly what you are scanning at that time.

Just to clarify.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2014, 05:42 AM   #789  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

The scanning mat is for scanning to save as cut data - something you will be saving to your machine or a flash drive for later cutting.

The standard mat is for scanning to direct cut - to cut out exactly what you are scanning at that time.

Just to clarify.
I hope I am understanding this correctly.

I get that you can scan with one mat and cut with another but to me it would defeat the main purpose of this machine to a stamper which is to cut out an image after it has been stamped. To scan one mat and cut another I would think the stamping has to be after and TBH I can do that with my current machines (a scanner and a digital cutter).

Last edited by RiverIsis; 06-08-2014 at 05:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2014, 05:58 AM   #790  
Glitter Guru

Kristen - The scanning mat has no adhesive, it's a plain mat with a plastic overlay to hold something in place. You use it to scan in shapes and drawings that you would want to save to your machine (or a flash drive) for later cutting. For example, I could punch out a flower shape, put it on my scanning mat and scan it, save the scan file (which would be the shape outline) to my machine. Then, when I wanted to, I could put a piece of card stock on my standard cutting mat, bring up the saved file, size it to whatever size I wanted and then cut.

If you are simply scanning in a stamped image to cut it out, you would use only the standard sticky mat. Stick image on mat, scan for direct cutting (you choose that option on the screen of the machine before scanning) and then after you have scanned and the machine has "recognized your outline, you can direct it to cut out the image.

The reason you might want to have a scanning mat is simply to save the adhesive on the standard mat. If you are scanning it lots of shapes or text or drawings to save to your machine, it would be that many fewer times you used the standard mat, which loses its stickiness with use. You could do without a scanning mat altogether, really.

Does that explain it any better? :-)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2014, 08:17 AM   #791  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes. Great explanation. Little sleep brain fog here. The scanning mat is basically if you just want to create die cuts from an image/cut of some sort.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2014, 08:35 AM   #792  
Glitter Guru

Exactly! And not a necessary thing. A standard mat will work fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2014, 11:16 AM   #793  
Stazon Splitcoast

Does the Scanning Mat come with the machine? Mine came with three mats...not sure if one is a Scanning Mat. :-) LM

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2014, 12:06 PM   #794  
Glitter Guru

It didn't come with mine (the red machine). I bought it separately. It originally came with the blue machine, but now I see there are two blue models, and it doesn't look like the scanning mat comes with either of them any more. Maybe I am missing it:

Select a Brother ScanNCut | Compare Home and Hobby Cutting Machines

The scanning mat has no adhesive on it at all. It has a plastic overlay attached at the top to flip down over your item to be scanned. If you got a mat like that with your machine, then you got a scanning mat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2014, 12:17 PM   #795  
Stazon Splitcoast

Rachel, thank you so much for helpful you have been on this entire thread, answering our questions, and giving feedback from what you have learned. I really appreciate it! :-) LM

Quote:

It didn't come with mine (the red machine). I bought it separately. It originally came with the blue machine, but now I see there are two blue models, and it doesn't look like the scanning mat comes with either of them any more. Maybe I am missing it:

Select a Brother ScanNCut | Compare Home and Hobby Cutting Machines

The scanning mat has no adhesive on it at all. It has a plastic overlay attached at the top to flip down over your item to be scanned. If you got a mat like that with your machine, then you got a scanning mat.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #796  
Glitter Guru

LM, I really don't consider myself an expert. But I am one of those people who doesn't mind calling customer service and asking questions and I am retired and have the time to do it, so of course I will share anything I learn. I have lots of paying it forward to do from all the help I have gotten over the past two years on this forum! And am still getting! The people on this forum are so generous with their knowledge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #797  
Polyshrink Goddess

So...After 3 months sitting in a box, I finally took out my SNC to play with. I was crossing my fingers since I'm way past the 30 day return for HSN. It has turned out to be everything I hoped it would be. I stamped a whole 8.5 x 11 cardstock with stamps and colored them in. The machine scanned and cut them all perfectly on the first try! WooHoo!!! **Sigh with relief**
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #798  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am SO glad to hear that I am no the only one who does this. I don't know why...I am so excited to order and receive something, then when I get it, I am afraid I won't be able to figure out how to use it..so I procrastinate opening it up! I also sighed with relief when I opened up my Scan 'N Cut AFTER the 30-day return period! :-/ I did the same thing with my Big Shot which I had for at least 6 months before I opened- it up (I did have a Cuttlebug already that I was used to using). I am so thankful for SCS and the kind people who answer questions, otherwise I would probably never open up these type of goodies!! :-) LM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaView Post
So...After 3 months sitting in a box, I finally took out my SNC to play with. I was crossing my fingers since I'm way past the 30 day return for HSN. It has turned out to be everything I hoped it would be. I stamped a whole 8.5 x 11 cardstock with stamps and colored them in. The machine scanned and cut them all perfectly on the first try! WooHoo!!! **Sigh with relief**

Last edited by LMstamps; 06-09-2014 at 07:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #799  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Too Funny - I was just coming here to write the exact same thing!!! I FINALLY set up and used mine this past weekend. Mine cut perfectly as well. Haven't gotten to play with any of the advanced stuff yet, but so far I am very happy

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #800  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:

So...After 3 months sitting in a box, I finally took out my SNC to play with.
Awesome that you like it - YAY!!!

And don't feel bad about the 3 months. I got a knk maxx in nov 2012 and i've used it once to draw one line and that's it :shock::oops: I've never even tried to cut anything.

But I'm going to a knk retreat in the near future to learn how to use it, so maybe that will get me kick started ....................
Reply With Quote Likes