Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #721  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

I received my shipping notice also... so hopefully it won't be too long... I'm in Oregon on the coast... so maybe a week or so... too EXCITED... been reading the posts and trying to learn as much as I can before it gets here....

Faith
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2014, 09:53 AM   #722  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received my shipping notice on tuesday, and it is scheduled for delivery on monday. I am on the West Coast.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2014, 06:56 AM   #723  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Calibration - Possible Fix?

Someone posted a fix for the offset cutting problem over on the Facebook Scan N Cut Inspire Group. I'm copying the relevant parts of the comments - Hope this helps someone - I returned my machine to Amazon already, so can't try it.
---------
Jane Alice Morris Whilst browsing the brother scan n cut web page, I was looking at troubleshooting section (at least I think that was the section) and there was an entry there about re calibrating the machine. It sounded very simple. It involved touching the screen whilst turning off the machine and then turn it on again without letting go of the screen. A calibration screen will then appear and there are 5 points you need to touch in order (clearly marked). then touching 4/5 points on the screen.
I tried to find the link but couldn't do I tried it only machine to see if I'd remembered it properly. I'd didn't actually re calibrate mine as I don't have problems.

If this works for you it might be worth posting this info as a separate post as others may appreciate it.

Jo Gethin: I'm off to try it now never sent mine back as I couldn't let it go lol

Janet Carney: tried it says it was sucessful

Jo Gethin: Mine worked only teeny tiny bit off now think I need someone with 20/20 vision to do it lol big relief thou

Jo Gethin It's under adjust screen Nancy gives you instructions on getting to the calibration screen I thought it was just for the touch screen until I did it and it 98% fixed the cut ooh I'll post photos later of difference as.I've got some with quite a bit out into the white from before will recut the image for comparison.

Last edited by karjor; 03-28-2014 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2014, 08:32 AM   #724  
Polyshrink Goddess

Great info! Hopefully I won't need it, but at least it's something to try if I do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2014, 11:55 AM   #725  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 349 Likes on 136 Posts

Quick everybody, bookmark this page, 'cos you'll never be able to find it when you need it otherwise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2014, 12:42 PM   #726  
Glitter Queen

Ok, I don't seem to have a calibration issue.....YET.....but just in case....

I just snipped the info, saved it as a jpeg and then pinned it to my "brother scan n cut" folder on pinterest.

This is the link for anyone who would like to re-pin for future refrence.
Brother Scan N Cut on Pinterest

Carolyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #727  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Calibration - Possible Fix - Brother page

Care and Maintenance (Adjusting the Screen) | Brother

Here you go - the section int the Brother troubleshooting FAQs that actually describe this process. While it does not say this fixes offset cutting or calibration, several people are reporting on the Facebook group that it significantly improved the cutting accuracy. HTH. - Karen

Last edited by karjor; 03-28-2014 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: add title
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2014, 06:41 AM   #728  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

IT'S HERE!! Brother box is staring at me... open me, open me.... got the instructions out and reading them.... don't want to jump ahead and mess things up here...lol..lol... Pretty Exciting.... will let you all know if I survive or not....lol..lol

Faith
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2014, 09:05 AM   #729  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 693 Likes on 356 Posts
Default Faith...

Faith...Please do share on here once you have tried it out. I especially want to know if you are able to get even borders. I have ordered and mine is to be here around April 22. :-) LM

Quote:

Originally Posted by it'smefaithView Post
IT'S HERE!! Brother box is staring at me... open me, open me.... got the instructions out and reading them.... don't want to jump ahead and mess things up here...lol..lol... Pretty Exciting.... will let you all know if I survive or not....lol..lol

Faith

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #730  
Stazon Splitcoast

Alas, my SNC arrived Monday and is still ensconced in its box as I have had to work until 10PM this week:( I am hopeful that I will have some time this weekend to try it out!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2014, 09:05 AM   #731  
Stazon Splitcoast

In Post #206 of the thread linked here:

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

There is a video of the drawing function on the Scan 'n Cut. After seeing this, I am happy I have ordered the Machine with this function. However, I could not tell on the video if she was making up what she drew herself, or was using an image provided by Brother. Can any of you who have used the drawing tools clarify this for me? :-) LM

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #732  
Glitter Guru

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Both machines have the ability to draw, LMstamps. All you need to do is put the pen holder and the pen where the blade holder is on your machine. The blue machines comes with the pen accessories, with the red machine you have to buy them separately.

I can't access the video you linked for some reason. But you can use the pens to draw anything you have scanned in or anything you have loaded from a thumb drive, whether it is your own work or not. You need to specify that you want the image recognized as "lines" I believe, rather than an outline. Whenever you are at the very end of your process, the last thing you do is tell the machine to either draw or cut. I can't give you any more details on this, since I have not used the drawing function. The manual covers it briefly, but only as it would apply to quilters. But there are some YouTube videos that cover it.

Here's one:

ScanNCut- Pens and Drawing Function - YouTube

There are probably videos on the Brother website as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2014, 04:05 AM   #733  
Matboard Maniac

I ordered from HSN and my machine arrived last week. I was finally able to play with it over the weekend. I LOVE it. The cuts were great and when I added a border it was even. This machine is going to be a lot of fun.

The only thing I don't like are the mats. I used Whisper White cardstock on the regular mat and it was a pain getting it off of the mat. I patted the mat several times with my hands (read that in an earlier post) and that helped a lot. I wish Brother would come out with a mat between the low tack and the regular.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2014, 04:58 AM   #734  
Glitter Guru

Don't worry. The mat will soon enough become not sticky enough. Then you can use one of the many workarounds mentioned here. ;-)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2014, 07:53 PM   #735  
Embossing Fanatic

OK everyone, I just ordered my scan n cut and I'm so excited for it to get here. I'm going to have a million questions! I hope I don't regret it. I've spent weeks reading everything I could find, watching every youtube video I could find and am convinced I need this machine! LOL Jaime
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2014, 04:45 AM   #736  
Mad Swapper

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

I just got my SCN and I have a minor problem. Does anyone else have a problem with the cutting mat getting caught on the front tray cover? I was cutting a Happy Easter design that I picked from the included patterns and was cutting it on a 12 x 12 piece of CS and the mat was moving in and out of the machine but every once in a while the paper got caught on the cover and kind of buckled. I was standing there watching, so I quickly picked up the edge to keep it clear of the cover.
I have the machine on a smallish table, but I can't see that making a difference. The cutting was okay, but I was just wondering if this happens to others.

I haven't been able to play with it much as I am suffering terribly from "scan n cut interruptus". As soon as someone see me doing something with it, I get all the "mommy I'm hungry, mommy can you drive me somewhere, mommy where are my shoes, jacket etc! And they are 17 and 19!!!!!! And if they don't bother me then my dog is nudging me to take her for her walk!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2014, 05:30 AM   #737  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatMil23View Post
I just got my SCN and I have a minor problem. Does anyone else have a problem with the cutting mat getting caught on the front tray cover? I was cutting a Happy Easter design that I picked from the included patterns and was cutting it on a 12 x 12 piece of CS and the mat was moving in and out of the machine but every once in a while the paper got caught on the cover and kind of buckled. I was standing there watching, so I quickly picked up the edge to keep it clear of the cover.
I have the machine on a smallish table, but I can't see that making a difference. The cutting was okay, but I was just wondering if this happens to others.

I haven't been able to play with it much as I am suffering terribly from "scan n cut interruptus". As soon as someone see me doing something with it, I get all the "mommy I'm hungry, mommy can you drive me somewhere, mommy where are my shoes, jacket etc! And they are 17 and 19!!!!!! And if they don't bother me then my dog is nudging me to take her for her walk!
I'm having trouble envisioning what you mean by "the paper is catching on the cover" I am about to cut something this morning and will watch closely.....so far the only problems I have run into was the paper not sticking to the mat well enough....and when I didn't realize how close I had the machine to something behind it and the mat hit it on the way out the back....oh and when I set the machine too close to the edge of the desk it didn't seem to have enough mat/paper support (which caused the paper to start to lift up from the mat a bit)

So, if your SNC cover is hanging over the edge of the small table you have it on, perhaps it needs to be scooted back some so the cover/tray has the support of the table????
Carolyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2014, 05:48 AM   #738  
Glitter Guru

Yes, I am not understanding this either. Is the mat getting caught or is the paper getting caught? And by front tray cover do you mean that clear plastic thing you pull down to open up the machine?

I'm with Carolyn - If you have your SNC very close to the edge of your table you do have to give your mat some support with your hand, you can't let it just hang as it comes out of the machine. I automatically support mine as it comes towards me so the paper won't come loose from the mat anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2014, 07:23 AM   #739  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default jkstampin...

Have you had a chance to play with it? What do you think?? :-) LM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstampinView Post
Alas, my SNC arrived Monday and is still ensconced in its box as I have had to work until 10PM this week:( I am hopeful that I will have some time this weekend to try it out!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2014, 08:44 AM   #740  
Mad Swapper

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Yes, I am not understanding this either. Is the mat getting caught or is the paper getting caught? And by front tray cover do you mean that clear plastic thing you pull down to open up the machine?

I'm with Carolyn - If you have your SNC very close to the edge of your table you do have to give your mat some support with your hand, you can't let it just hang as it comes out of the machine. I automatically support mine as it comes towards me so the paper won't come loose from the mat anyway.

Yes, Carolyn and Rachel. That is it. It catches on the clear plastic door thingy. But you are correct, I think it is too close to the edge of the small table it is on. I will either move it, or just be sure to stand there and support the mat/cs with my hand. Thank you for your input.

Other than that, so far it is doing what I expected it to do. I love it, but wish I had more time to play with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2014, 10:46 AM   #741  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMstampsView Post
Have you had a chance to play with it? What do you think?? :-) LM
well, i got it out of the box and read through some of the instructions if that counts! But I get the entire weekend off now that we are through 4/15, so will play with it this weekend for sure!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2014, 03:46 PM   #742  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

so, I am curious....
are most people using their machine to cut images ahead of time, or cutting as they go along??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2014, 11:31 AM   #743  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeCraftView Post
so, I am curious....
are most people using their machine to cut images ahead of time, or cutting as they go along??
I cut as I go along.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2014, 01:49 PM   #744  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeCraftView Post
so, I am curious....
I do both. If I see something in a SVG file that's cute I might cut one out to inspire me to make a card. For stamps that I'm using on a card I cut when I need it.
It's been quiet in here lately. Everyone must be busy with their SNC.
I've been so busy with work I haven't had much time to play.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2014, 07:21 PM   #745  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Diane, I mainly bought the SNC for fussy cutting my stamped images, so right now that's what I'm using it for. But I want make word embellishments (probably with chipboard). I see so many cool word embellishments on techniques and cards videos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2014, 10:59 PM   #746  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 349 Likes on 136 Posts

At the moment I don't have somewhere I can leave my SNC set up and ready to go, so I get it out, cut a batch of shapes ahead of time and then put it back in its box till next time. I don't get enough playtime though. I enjoy reading what others are doing with their machines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2014, 07:26 AM   #747  
Glitter Guru

Mine sits out because I have room for it. I cut as I go along for the most part.

How is everyone doing with the mats? I now automatically Dotto the back of my card stock and tape the top and bottom with low tack tape. I usually like to color before I cut (because then I can decide if I want to cut it out at all) and it's just too frustrating to spend time coloring an image and then have the card stock pull loose and cause the blade to shred the image.

And has anyone had to change the blade yet? How long were you able to go before you needed to?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2014, 05:33 PM   #748  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought an extra blade, but haven't had to use it yet.
For my mats I used a wee bit of spray adhesive. Just a light quick spritz and I'm good to go for quite awhile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2014, 04:32 PM   #749  
Rubber Obsessor

I haven't had to change my blade either and I've had mine since October...love that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #750  
Glitter Guru

I thought I had to, but it was just that the blade depth needed to be changed. I'd used a thinner paper and lowered it and then forgot.

But I can't say my machine has seen heavy use. It's just me, working at my usual snail's pace.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2014, 04:13 AM   #751  
Cardstock Collector

Hello,I have a scan n cut but I'm having an issue with stamping then cutting
my question is this:the ladies that use it for cutting out stamp image can
You cut out all of the ones you stamp?Mine will not cut out what I want to use.
Please if there is a cure for this I would be very thankful for the answer.
Thanks Vesta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2014, 04:24 AM   #752  
Glitter Guru

Vesta, the stamped image has to have an unbroken outline that the machine can recognize. So, to answer you question: no, you can't cut out every stamp you own, unless they all have clean outlines.

If the stamp has an outline, there are ways to get the machine to work better if it is giving you trouble. Show us a stamp you are having problems with. Can you post an image of one? Or, if you don't know how to post an image here, give the name of it so I can try to find it online and see what it looks like? Then it would be easier to tell you if you should be able to scan it or not.

We would be glad to help you, but we need more information.

Robin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #753  
Cardstock Collector

Robin,thank you for that info I didn't know that it had to be outlined.Now I know
what I need to do.Thank you ever so much. Vesta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2014, 12:44 PM   #754  
Glitter Guru

Vesta, I hope you don't think that you have to outline the stamp yourself. You do not. The stamp itself must be the kind of stamp that has an unbroken line around it. The machine "sees" that outline shape and then can cut it.

Here are two examples from my gallery. The lady on the chair on this card was cut using my Scan N Cut. The machine could see a clear "shape" to cut all around the figure:

Destination Dreamer

But I would not have tried to cut this image, because all those lines and circles on one side of the rose would have confused the scanner:

Rose Collage Notecard

This one would not work well, either, because of the shadows around the envelope:

Birds and Ribbon Notecard

I hope this helps. If not, let me know!

Last edited by Rachelrose; 05-07-2014 at 01:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #755  
Cardstock Collector

I understand what you are talking about. I have been cutting out a lot
now since you told me what to do.I love the machine. Do you use yours a lot?
Thank you again for your help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2014, 04:06 AM   #756  
Glitter Guru

Glad to help. We are all always ready to help each other with questions here! Don't hesitate to ask if you are having any problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #757  
Mad Swapper

When you scan a stamp and save it does it just save the shape or can you go back with the markers and have it draw the design?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2014, 05:00 PM   #758  
Glitter Guru

It depends on how you save the shape. Scanning to saved data is different than scan to direct cut, which is what you do when you are scanning stamped images to fussy cut them. If you want to save your data, you have to select how the image is saved - as an outline, as lines, or as areas. I don't do much with the saved data feature at this point, so someone else will have to chime in and share their experiences. If you are asking whether you could scan a stamp and save the entire image so you could then have the machine draw it, I don't know. It's an interesting question.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2014, 06:32 AM   #759  
Glitter Guru

Default Changed the blade for the 1st time

People have been asking about how long blades last (including me), so I just thought I'd post to say I changed my (standard) blade for the first time this morning.

To give some idea of how much usage I got out of the blade that came with my machine - I bought the machine at the end of January 2014, and began using it immediately. I would say the machine has seem moderate use, BUT I use heavy weight card stock much of the time - PTI and Gina K - and that's where I first noticed that my cuts were looking ragged. This morning I was able to cut through lighter weight card stock on my usual setting, but when I switched to heavier card stock and changed the setting to match, it didn't cut all the way through. I increased the cut pressure, and it didn't help. I finally gave in and changed the blade. That restored things to normal.

So, maybe that will help. Has anyone else done a blade change?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2014, 05:38 PM   #760  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Resize / Enlarge

Please help! I've watched I think every You Tube video but I can't figure out how to resize my own images. I understand how to do the pre-loaded ones but not my own. Does anybody know? TIA!
Reply With Quote Likes