Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-16-2014, 07:51 AM   #201  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2014, 08:11 AM   #202  
Inking Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martha JView Post
Yes, you can scan the image and save it to a usb stick, take that to your computer, and resize the stamped image then print it out. (There'd be no point in saving it to the machine if you want the stamped image in another size, as it does not print.)
But your computer would recognize that file extension on the saved file from the USB so you could open it up and resize it and then scan it again in the size you want and then the SCN would cut it out in the new resized image. Is that correct?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #203  
Stazon Splitcoast

Can't you just make the image larger on the SnC without using a computer?

Just use the pen attachment to draw it at the new size and cut it or am I missing something? The JFB video definitely resized on the machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2014, 08:43 AM   #204  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post

Just use the pen attachment to draw it at the new size and cut it or am I missing something? The JFB video definitely resized on the machine.
I wasn't sure whether you could do that with a scanned image or just the images that came with the machine. That would be great if you could do that. It would save about 3 steps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #205  
Inking Addict

Quote:

I'm not talking about using a pen attachment. I want to scan a stamped image in and then be able to resize it and was wondering if there is a way to do that. I am not drawing anything, just stamping an image and wondering if it can be resized once it is scanned in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2014, 11:35 AM   #206  
Stazon Splitcoast

From Facebook - I'm really curious about the eBrush, too:

Craft & Hobby Association
Congratulations to the Top 3 Winners of the “Hot 20 Awards” for the most creative crafting products of 2014!

First Place - Brother International Corporation ScanNCut machine: a revolutionary new home and hobby cutting machine with the convenience of a 300 DPI built-in scanner.

Second Place - Craftwell eBrush: a portable airbrush system used by crafters, cake decorators and beauty enthusiasts alike for scrapbooking, makeup application and more.

Third Place - Spellbinders Tool-n-One: a portable tool that performs multiple craft functions, including piercing, folding, paper removal, inking, distressing, curling, and more.

Read the full release here: CHA News
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #207  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by graceforever12View Post
I'm not talking about using a pen attachment. I want to scan a stamped image in and then be able to resize it and was wondering if there is a way to do that. I am not drawing anything, just stamping an image and wondering if it can be resized once it is scanned in.
I would think so. Of course without a redraw/reprint at a larger size you will only have the shape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #208  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SNC does not reproduce the stamped image only the shape. If you saved shape of the stamp, you could resize it to make a mat-according to a friend who has this machine and has 'played' with it more than I.

The SNC does not have the capacity to reproduce the stamped image so I can't see this machine violating any company's Angel Policy.

From what I understand, after you register your machine, when upgrades become available, you will be notified. You download the upgrade onto a USB then follow the instructions on page 66 of the Operation Manual. (When all else's fails, read the manual that came with the item/device.)

Had a chance to use the machine yesterday. It is really amazing and is pretty much 'plug 'n play'. Like anything new, you just have to use it and then if a 'bump' in the use road occurs, read the manual. The scanner is very sensitive and the cutter can cut really well. Had to 'fiddle' with the blade and blade pressure but also have to remember to clean the blade housing of paper lint.

Last edited by Crafter 4 Life; 01-16-2014 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: Correct spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #209  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

No, the image cannot be resized by the SNC. You can resize the *shape* of the image, but not the image itself. Resizing the shape would allow you to change the width of the border around the image, or to make matting layers of various widths.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2014, 03:08 PM   #210  
Glitter Guru

FYI the pen attachment, which comes with the 550 bundle and is also available separately (for those with the 100 (bundle), is pretty fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #211  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
From Facebook - I'm really curious about the eBrush, too:

Craft & Hobby Association
Congratulations to the Top 3 Winners of the “Hot 20 Awards” for the most creative crafting products of 2014!

First Place - Brother International Corporation ScanNCut machine: a revolutionary new home and hobby cutting machine with the convenience of a 300 DPI built-in scanner.

Second Place - Craftwell eBrush: a portable airbrush system used by crafters, cake decorators and beauty enthusiasts alike for scrapbooking, makeup application and more.

Third Place - Spellbinders Tool-n-One: a portable tool that performs multiple craft functions, including piercing, folding, paper removal, inking, distressing, curling, and more.

Read the full release here: CHA News
1. WOOHOO for the ScanNCut - well-deserved.
2. Here's an eBrush demo from Winter CHA 2014 if you have not seen this video yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgeT1-d2-A4
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 06:34 AM   #212  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Yes, you can scan the image and save it to a usb stick, take that to your computer, and resize the stamped image then print it out. (There'd be no point in saving it to the machine if you want the stamped image in another size, as it does not print.)
So if you save the stamped image to the USB and opened it up on your computer, the computer would recognize the file extension that it was saved as on the USB and then you would have the ability to resize it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 09:38 AM   #213  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

So if you save the stamped image to the USB and opened it up on your computer, the computer would recognize the file extension that it was saved as on the USB and then you would have the ability to resize it?
Yes, anything you scan to a usb stick on the SNC is saved as a jpg. You can save it as 300 dpi (or less). You can resize a jpg on your computer in a program like Photoshop or Serif Draw and print it on your printer in whatever size you select. (I'm sure there are limits to what size an image scanned at 300 dpi will be able to be enlarged then printed at and still look nice. If you have a scanner you can experiment with scanned/resized/printed images to get a feel for what you can do.)

Martha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #214  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Yes, anything you scan to a usb stick on the SNC is saved as a jpg. You can save it as 300 dpi (or less). You can resize a jpg on your computer in a program like Photoshop or Serif Draw and print it on your printer in whatever size you select. (I'm sure there are limits to what size an image scanned at 300 dpi will be able to be enlarged then printed at and still look nice. If you have a scanner you can experiment with scanned/resized/printed images to get a feel for what you can do.)

Martha
Martha, OMG, THANK YOU for finally answering my question! I have been trying to get an answer to that question all week. You're the bomb!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 09:46 AM   #215  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Martha, OMG, THANK YOU for finally answering my question! I have been trying to get an answer to that question all week. You're the bomb!
You're welcome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 10:20 AM   #216  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaView Post
It really depends on what your primary reason for wanting a machine. Here are my suggestions.

1: Cameo - great for general die cuts and print and cut. Silhouette also makes stamp material for custom stamps, and has a variety of packages for other crafts such as rhinestone templates, fabric painting, etc... It's a very versatile machine. Silhouette has a blog and you tube videos for examples of what you can do.

2: If you would like to do the above with materials heavier than cardstock or very lightweight chipboard, you may want to go with a machine such as a Zing or Black Cat.

3. If your only interest is cutting out your stamps without having to fussy cut, then I would go with the Scan n Cut. Fussy cutting can be done with the other machines, but it is more complicated and involves quite a few more steps. The Scan in Cut is much simpler.

4. If you can afford it or are willing to save, you may want more than one machine. I already have a Cameo, and adore it. But, I am also saving up for a Scan n Cut exclusively for the ease of fussy cutting with it. I personally would not consider the Scan n Cut as my only machine because for now, IMO, it lacks the versatility of the other machines.
The ScanNCut has MUCH more cutting force than the Silhouette. It can cut leather. (I did ask at the SNC booth at CHA what the cutting force is but Brother apparently considers that info proprietary and hasn't given that info out.)

I think the SNC has ALL the versatility of the other machines, plus more! The software is the only thing that is not as full fledged as the other machines... but if creating files is what you want to do, you can use Inkscape (free) or Silhouette Studio (free) or other (paid) programs.

As a standalone, it does more! You can use this machine without a computer, without access to the internet, and without cartridges. The other machines (except the Cameo) require at least one of those things to work. And the SNC doesn't require registration marks to find something printed on the page.

I've gone to crops and scanned shapes for friends, then filled the page with the shape to cut out a page full for them!

The ScanNCut does what I wanted the Wishblade to do!

Martha
P.S. I own two Wishblades, a Gazelle, a Cricut Imagine, and a Cricut Expression 2.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 10:48 AM   #217  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 346 Likes on 134 Posts

Can the SNC cut chipboard? If so, how thick? TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 11:11 AM   #218  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampnnatterView Post
Can the SNC cut chipboard? If so, how thick? TIA
Yes it can. Don't know the thickness but you can do test cuts on the material to see what blade depth etc to use. I have cut fairly thick chipboard with mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #219  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

The ScanNCut has MUCH more cutting force than the Silhouette. It can cut leather. (I did ask at the SNC booth at CHA what the cutting force is but Brother apparently considers that info proprietary and hasn't given that info out.)

I think the SNC has ALL the versatility of the other machines, plus more! The software is the only thing that is not as full fledged as the other machines... but if creating files is what you want to do, you can use Inkscape (free) or Silhouette Studio (free) or other (paid) programs.

As a standalone, it does more! You can use this machine without a computer, without access to the internet, and without cartridges. The other machines (except the Cameo) require at least one of those things to work. And the SNC doesn't require registration marks to find something printed on the page.

I've gone to crops and scanned shapes for friends, then filled the page with the shape to cut out a page full for them!

The ScanNCut does what I wanted the Wishblade to do!

Martha
P.S. I own two Wishblades, a Gazelle, a Cricut Imagine, and a Cricut Expression 2.
Martha you nailed it with that post. And I too wanted the wishblade to do all this. I actually bought my Cameo hoping to use it like I am using my SNC now. If I had known the ScanNCut was coming, I would have held off on that Cameo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 11:46 AM   #220  
Glitter Guru

If the Scan N Cut has a USB port why can't it be connected to a computer?

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 01:30 PM   #221  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by slyn11View Post
Martha you nailed it with that post. And I too wanted the wishblade to do all this. I actually bought my Cameo hoping to use it like I am using my SNC now. If I had known the ScanNCut was coming, I would have held off on that Cameo.
How does the Scan n Cut work with your Silhouette library? Can you use it to cut their regular cut files?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 01:55 AM   #222  
Embossing Fanatic

Saw this at my local Spotlight store last week. Couldn't see a price but if it's $500+ over there then it would have to be about $700 over here. :eek:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 04:25 AM   #223  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Default 2 great videos about SNC - much detail/2 hours of info

I'm a very 'visual' learner and I just love this 2-part video series on the ScanNCut machine:

Part 1 - 56 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c7w...re=c4-overview

Part 2 - 52 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycpD...ZDw3SGFDKDx1MA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 05:05 AM   #224  
Stazon Splitcoast

Tbh I'm hoping they will come out with the next version rather quickly and to pick up this one for less. I know it is barely out and I am talking a new version already....lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 08:05 AM   #225  
Pearl-ExPert

Queen of Inkland-

Thank you for the link to the 2 videos. A friend also recommended these YouTube videos. I like that she is thorough and calm. I don't make videos so shouldn't complain but some of the other SNC tutorials/videos are by people like me and they are just too excited and get a little carried away waving their arms/hands and jump around giving the info.

I am going to re-watch these videos because they are so informative. I am sure I will get to know my SNC better. I am so glad I bought this machine because I am not very computer savy and the other machine that can 'fussy' cut have too many steps for me.

I was told my someone at my LSS that the Brother company has sold out on the first run of these machines and is working on the next generation. The next generation will not be ready for a year or so. Don't know if this info is correct or not.

I bought the red machine because I will be using it mostly for paper crafting. I was on Amazon and saw that they have add'l quilt patterns and applique patterns on separate thumb drives for purchase in case the red machine buyers decide they need more quilt related patterns.

Last edited by Crafter 4 Life; 01-18-2014 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 08:25 AM   #226  
Stazon Splitcoast

Talk of a new design, especially in just a year, bothers me a bit. Updates can be delivered via USB. So if they are already thinking of mechanical and physical changes, that makes me wonder a little.

It's one thing to start thinking redesign based on widespread use and experience. Didn't this just come out in the middle of last year? And already there is room for improvement in the actual machine (vs software)?

I thought about postponing purchase of this but I thought it may be hard to find pretty shortly because of the accolades and rave reviews. I'll be a little bummed if there's a "new and improved" version so soon but as long as it works as well as what I've seen, I'll be satisfied with getting it now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 09:10 AM   #227  
Stazon Splitcoast

Some of the reviewers have been frustrated with little things such as losing the tools because the have no home on the machine. For me no biggie but I can see where it would be frustrating for those that like to keep their tools with the machine especially the stylus...that would probably annoy me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #228  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Some of the reviewers have been frustrated with little things such as losing the tools because the have no home on the machine. For me no biggie but I can see where it would be frustrating for those that like to keep their tools with the machine especially the stylus...that would probably annoy me.
I can see the point, too, but it wouldn't bug me either.

I wouldn't mind missing out on those kinds of changes .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 12:18 PM   #229  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 675 Likes on 348 Posts

I am wondering why one would choose to buy a ScanNCut over a Silhouette Portrait, when the Portrait does more and costs much less. Please tell me? :-) LM

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #230  
Glitter Guru

Re the scanning, the SNC doesn't do anything more illegal than any scanner in any home or office. What may make scanning illegal is what you do with the scans, not the machine doing the scanning.

The SNC doesn't resize a stamped image. It CAN resize the shape of a stamped image, which will only give you a larger/smaller border around the stamped image and/or a mat to put under the stamped image.

You can use the SNC to scan in a stamped image, but in order to resize that image (not just its shape), you have to take that scan, save it to a USB, open it (on a computer) in a program like Photoshop that allows the manipulation of graphics images, and resize it.

Only after all those steps -- the possibly-illegal resizing of the stamped image having been done outside the SNC -- can you use the SNC to cut around the now larger/smaller stamped image.

There is nothing about this machine that is illegal. Yes, people can scan an image and go outside the machine to resize that image, but there is nothing *this machine* does that is illegal.

I'm not concerned about a new and improved machine coming out in the near future. Software updates can be done via the USB port, and I can find a way to store the gadgets near the machine so I don't lose them. From what I've read, Brother is going to be filling backorders for the current model for quite a while, during which time I'm going to be thoroughly enjoying my SNC.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #231  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, LMStamps, this is me actually so I should be able to come up with an answer to your question .

I have the Portrait and it's amazing how little I use it. Initially, I did quite a bit with it. I cut out some large vinyls for a local organization which came out well. I did some print and cut with stamps and they came out just as I had hoped, too. And I cut some text. Then it was quite a few weeks before I wanted to use it again, and then I wanted to cut out a simple shape, and nothing felt intuitive about it.

For me the big difference is the built-in scanner. I have an EZ View Desk with my stamp pad organizers on one long side, up against the wall. So my free space on my desk from those to the edge where I sit measures 22 inches. The desk is about 53-1/2 inches long. My laptop with the Portrait set up together pretty much takes up the entire desk. My scanner is in the dining room, diagonally on the other side of the house. I guess when I want to use the Portrait, I could bring it and the laptop to the dining room table. But I'm not really into all of the setup. And if the laptop needs to be plugged in, it's a hassle for me to do that in there. If I worked differently and just planned on doing a bunch of cutting or something all at one time, I suppose it would work just fine. But I want to be able to be working on something, have an idea, pull out a machine and do it.

It just seems so much simpler to me to have something that is freestanding and independent of the computer and scanner. To top it off, sometimes my scanner can get a little bit flaky. Or the wireless isn't working. And every time I have to set up a direct connection to the printer/copier/scanner, I've had trouble getting it put to rights again afterward. So the SNC is also a backup scanner for me, which is a huge plus because I need it for work.

I plan to use it primarily to cut out drawings, stamps, text and stencils . . . and probably much more. I guess it all boils down to simplifying which is what I've done with everything else in my stamping/art area. Also, if I find that I use it a lot and have no need for the Silhouette, I am pretty sure I can get my $ out of the Portrait.

It's really personal preference, how you work, and what your physical setup is like, I think. I feel the Portrait is an incredible product and Silhouette does a great job. But for me, now that there's this alternative, I think I will get more use out of the SNC.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #232  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMstampsView Post
I am wondering why one would choose to buy a ScanNCut over a Silhouette Portrait, when the Portrait does more and costs much less. Please tell me? :-) LM
For me, it's ease of use. I have a couple machines that will do print & cut, but they require multiple steps (registration marks and such). I was cutting around a stamped image within 5 minutes of plugging in the SNC. My neighbor has had a Cameo in a box since last Christmas (2012!). She couldn't keep her hands off the SNC and has already put her Cameo on Craigslist.

I do use my other ecutters (KNK, eClips, Expression) to do more complicated things, but I love the SNC and will totally get my money's worth out of it. It has really reignited my excitement about stamping. I had gone toward diecutting the last couple of years because I love the dimensional look of layers, and now I can do that with the zillions of stamps I have in my stash.

Last edited by TheOtherMeg; 01-18-2014 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: brain blip: changed print & scan to print & cut
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #233  
Pearl-ExPert

In this day and age any electronic item is out dated so quickly, ie computers, phones, TVs, etc. I don't think the SNC machine will need to be replaced when the next edition comes out because you can update the software and it is such an awesome machine! There might be cosmetic changes, tool storage additions but the present basic machine should be okay for awhile.

Enjoy the machine now, I am!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #234  
Crimping Master

This is all too funny! Chuckling here.....Whatever you do, (with the machine) don't advertise it LOL

BLOG : The Papercraft Place

You Tube: kelley3684
Guest Designer for "Midnight Madness"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #235  
Crimping Master

TheOtherMeg, I too have the E Clipse and C
ameo etc... Why do you still find a need for the EClipse? I'd like to sell it but you just made me ? that.

BLOG : The Papercraft Place

You Tube: kelley3684
Guest Designer for "Midnight Madness"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 02:01 PM   #236  
Stazon Splitcoast

Don't wait, gale :mrgreen:

I was with you a few pages back... waiting... figuring the price may come down. With the spot in the hot picks of CHA, I just don't think that's going to happen any time soon. And with all of the publicity it may be hard to find before too long.

But don't yell at me if the prices do go down, lol! I'm making a concerted effort not to watch that. What's done is done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 05:37 PM   #237  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by planet43View Post
TheOtherMeg, I too have the E Clipse and C
ameo etc... Why do you still find a need for the EClipse? I'd like to sell it but you just made me ? that.
I don't sell machines. At least, I haven't sold any yet. I have the room to keep them, so I keep them and use them when they fit the job. (I don't have a Cameo or any of the Silhouette machines, though. KNKs, Expression, eClips, Slice, and some manual cutters, yes, but not a Cameo/Sil/Wishblade.)

The eClips I have uses cartridges, and I like the carts I have for it, so I'll keep that machine, especially since the new eClips machines won't use carts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 05:44 PM   #238  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 346 Likes on 134 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gailjjView Post
Saw this at my local Spotlight store last week. Couldn't see a price but if it's $500+ over there then it would have to be about $700 over here. :eek:
The Brother.com.au site has RRP of $599 and $699 for the CM110 and CM550 respectively - see Brother International Australia Announces the Launch of its ScanNCut Machine

I am (not very patiently) waiting to see a similar announcement of availability in NZ.....can you tell?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #239  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
btw I never did cave and buy a cameo (still have my silhouette sd) so at least that makes the justification for this a little easier. :mrgreen:
I broke down about 6 months ago and upgraded from an SD to a Cameo. Unfortunately I am locked into Silhouette machines since I have acquired over 9,000 Silhouette designs over the years. I am still going to buy a Scan n Cut simply for fussy cutting. Although, the more I read posts and watch videos about the Scan n Cut, the more possibilities I see with it. I just wish Silhouette wasn't so darn proprietary with their designs. I would love to have the option of using other machines with my library.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #240  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 675 Likes on 348 Posts

Thank you Phantom and TheOther Meg...Your comments really helped. The main thing I want to do with an e-cutter is stamp images and then be able to cut them out electronically as well as cut larger mats for them in the same shape. I can do this with the Scan and Cut, right? I do like the idea of not having to be connected to my computer to use this. What is the best place to buy this and what is the best model to buy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
Well, LMStamps, this is me actually so I should be able to come up with an answer to your question .

I have the Portrait and it's amazing how little I use it. Initially, I did quite a bit with it. I cut out some large vinyls for a local organization which came out well. I did some print and cut with stamps and they came out just as I had hoped, too. And I cut some text. Then it was quite a few weeks before I wanted to use it again, and then I wanted to cut out a simple shape, and nothing felt intuitive about it.

For me the big difference is the built-in scanner. I have an EZ View Desk with my stamp pad organizers on one long side, up against the wall. So my free space on my desk from those to the edge where I sit measures 22 inches. The desk is about 53-1/2 inches long. My laptop with the Portrait set up together pretty much takes up the entire desk. My scanner is in the dining room, diagonally on the other side of the house. I guess when I want to use the Portrait, I could bring it and the laptop to the dining room table. But I'm not really into all of the setup. And if the laptop needs to be plugged in, it's a hassle for me to do that in there. If I worked differently and just planned on doing a bunch of cutting or something all at one time, I suppose it would work just fine. But I want to be able to be working on something, have an idea, pull out a machine and do it.

It just seems so much simpler to me to have something that is freestanding and independent of the computer and scanner. To top it off, sometimes my scanner can get a little bit flaky. Or the wireless isn't working. And every time I have to set up a direct connection to the printer/copier/scanner, I've had trouble getting it put to rights again afterward. So the SNC is also a backup scanner for me, which is a huge plus because I need it for work.

I plan to use it primarily to cut out drawings, stamps, text and stencils . . . and probably much more. I guess it all boils down to simplifying which is what I've done with everything else in my stamping/art area. Also, if I find that I use it a lot and have no need for the Silhouette, I am pretty sure I can get my $ out of the Portrait.

It's really personal preference, how you work, and what your physical setup is like, I think. I feel the Portrait is an incredible product and Silhouette does a great job. But for me, now that there's this alternative, I think I will get more use out of the SNC.

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes