Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-19-2016, 11:45 AM   #1001  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much. I will try all of your suggestions and see what happens. You are so very helpful. Debbie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2016, 10:16 AM   #1002  
Stampin' Fool

The last couple months I watched and read reviews about all the different types of die cutting machines. I think it's time I gave up my Cricut to upgrade to something cartridge free. It's down to the Silhoutte and the Scan n' Kut. I'm hoping you ladies can help me decide between the two by answering the following:
If you have the Scan n' kut, what function do you wish the machine has that it doesn't (that other machines might have)? What is something, if anything, that you don't like about the machine? I will post this on the Silhoutte thread, too.

Thank you all so much for helping me make this decision! I'll be asking it for a Mother's Day/Birthday gift but want to make sure I'm ready with my decision on which to get when the Mother's Day sales come because I missed the huge $230 Joann's sale :(.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2016, 10:25 AM   #1003  
Stazon Splitcoast

For me it is the scan n cut2 hands down. I don't have Internet except on my phone. This machine is wifi or stand alone. I can use a thumb drive, Internet or nothing. Your computer doesn't have to be in the same to use it. I think I would like the canvas program and got it with my machine. One day I will take my machine to a friends and get it connected. I can cut most of the stamp images I own. It cuts tiny object perfect. I can resize or cut backgrounds for dies I already have that are open. Go to my gallery and look at the bath card. It cut the tiny slippers and hangers. I like that you just scan, crop, and cut. I can save it and customize it but don't have to. My friend has the shiloutte and she loves it. I have watched her use it and there are many steps to get to the end product. My computer skills are limited even if I had internet and it looks complicated. The one thing the cricut mats will work in the shiloutte but NOT in the SNC2. Some one here said you can tape the cricut mat to the SNC mat and use it. I'm not sure I would even try that in fear of missing up the machine. I have used a spay adhesive on the SNC mat because the hold is horrible on it. If you are getting the SNC I understand the 2 has the color recognition and it takes that to pick up stamps. I put mine on MM instead of inches and color and haven't had the problems others have talked about with it not scanning the image. I like that I can fill in any openings in an image with a pencil or fine line marker that matches my ink and that fixes the problem. My friends has to scan it in, then use what seems to be lots of steps to me, save them line things up and then cut. It seems to me SNC is quicker. Also SNC has built in images and on line images. All at no charge! You have to buy all images with the silhouette at a low cost. They say With the SCN I can save a pattern on as USB and cut it. So if I had a computer I could save, print on computer and then cut.
Also, my cricut doesn't make nice small cuts. I can draw it on my cricut and cut it on the SNC and get the small images I have wanted for years but tore when cutting. I also have markers with the SNC and it came with 5 built in alphabets and many words, ex:grandpa, aunt, twins, winter, happy Halloween.... I can also write things and it will cut my own handwriting. I can save it and use it again, or discard. I bought the 350 scan n cut2 from home shopping for $329. It came with one mat, cutting blade, marker holder and two markers, and the wifi card for the canvas program. With free shipping I am extremely happy and buy it again. They say this also connects to the brother sewing machine but I don't quilt or sew, so I haven't even looked into that part or the rhinestone accessories.
I hope this is helpful?
Proud fan club member since 2008
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2016, 03:30 PM   #1004  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonda BaldwinView Post
For me it is the scan n cut2 hands down. I don't have Internet except on my phone. This machine is wifi or stand alone. I can use a thumb drive, Internet or nothing. Your computer doesn't have to be in the same to use it. I think I would like the canvas program and got it with my machine. One day I will take my machine to a friends and get it connected. I can cut most of the stamp images I own. It cuts tiny object perfect. I can resize or cut backgrounds for dies I already have that are open. Go to my gallery and look at the bath card. It cut the tiny slippers and hangers. I like that you just scan, crop, and cut. I can save it and customize it but don't have to. My friend has the shiloutte and she loves it. I have watched her use it and there are many steps to get to the end product. My computer skills are limited even if I had internet and it looks complicated. The one thing the cricut mats will work in the shiloutte but NOT in the SNC2. Some one here said you can tape the cricut mat to the SNC mat and use it. I'm not sure I would even try that in fear of missing up the machine. I have used a spay adhesive on the SNC mat because the hold is horrible on it. If you are getting the SNC I understand the 2 has the color recognition and it takes that to pick up stamps. I put mine on MM instead of inches and color and haven't had the problems others have talked about with it not scanning the image. I like that I can fill in any openings in an image with a pencil or fine line marker that matches my ink and that fixes the problem. My friends has to scan it in, then use what seems to be lots of steps to me, save them line things up and then cut. It seems to me SNC is quicker. Also SNC has built in images and on line images. All at no charge! You have to buy all images with the silhouette at a low cost. They say With the SCN I can save a pattern on as USB and cut it. So if I had a computer I could save, print on computer and then cut.
Also, my cricut doesn't make nice small cuts. I can draw it on my cricut and cut it on the SNC and get the small images I have wanted for years but tore when cutting. I also have markers with the SNC and it came with 5 built in alphabets and many words, ex:grandpa, aunt, twins, winter, happy Halloween.... I can also write things and it will cut my own handwriting. I can save it and use it again, or discard. I bought the 350 scan n cut2 from home shopping for $329. It came with one mat, cutting blade, marker holder and two markers, and the wifi card for the canvas program. With free shipping I am extremely happy and buy it again. They say this also connects to the brother sewing machine but I don't quilt or sew, so I haven't even looked into that part or the rhinestone accessories.
I hope this is helpful?
Thank you for such a thorough review! I don't know how I missed it but I didn't realize you can draw with the machine, too. Yay! I am 99% sure this is the machine I will be getting! I love that it scans so if I'm somewhere where you can't access wifi, you can still use the machine. One last question (I think ). Can you hook up your cell or camera directly to the machine and download an image to cut? Not sure if any of the other machines have that capability.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2016, 05:05 PM   #1005  
Stazon Splitcoast

I can not answer the question about the phone. But I read in the reviews while I was looking that you could use your computer, or iPad. You might check you tube or Pinterest if you don't get an answer. I love the simplicity of this machine. It is like taking a picture, cropping a picture, then printing, except you scan, crop, cut or save. Simplicity rules with me. They say you can take it to crops but I don't scrapbook. There is also a deep cut blade for leather, wood, etc. You may also check out scrapbook soup on you tube, brother scan n cut website or my Pinterest board for brother scan n cut2. I have pinned everything I think I need.
There are definitely more qualified people on this site then me. I am sure some of the others can help you more.

Last edited by Tonda Baldwin; 01-25-2016 at 05:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2016, 05:34 PM   #1006  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 485 Likes on 325 Posts

I'm wondering if you can get cut files like I see at the silhouette site, and use them on this machine...and also if we can make our own designs to have it cut on our computer? I keep going back and forth between this one and the silhouette...love how this scans a file in and will cut it...but I can't seem to figure out if it has any other features, maybe I just haven't found the right video about it, I don't know. *sigh*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2016, 05:48 PM   #1007  
Cardstock Collector

I own a Cricut, Silhouette & the SNC2, and the Cricut sits on the shelf. I love both my Silhouette & the SCN2 and would hate to have to choose. I think they both do an awesome job of cutting. The SCN2 does an amazing job of fussy cutting stamped images. I also felt the SNC2 was easier to learn how to use. The downfall of the SCN2 is any SVG file will need to be converted on Brother Canvas Software, then loaded into the machine via jump drive. The mat leaves a lot to be desired. The benefit of the Silhouette is the online store with thousands of designs to choose from and the online software is easier to navigate. As an FYI, HSN has a pretty good deal going on the SCN2 $299 and it includes WIFI card. If I was forced to choose a machine, it would be the SCN2.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2016, 02:19 PM   #1008  
Cardstock Collector

I've cut some of my favorite cricut/Silhouette shapes and cut them out in black. I then scanned them into the Brother SNC2 and created a cut file. Works for most, except the really detailed cuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2016, 01:18 PM   #1009  
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree about the mats. I used blue painters tape around the edges, then sprayed it with repositionable sewing/quilting spray, one that is safe for sewing machines. I bought my spray at Walmart in 07 when I got my cricut and have used it on all my cricut mats, with no problems. Since it doesn't harm sewing machines, I was told, by another crafter, it would be fine with the cricut, I have used it all this time. So I used it on my SNC mat the other night. I like the mat so much better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2016, 01:20 PM   #1010  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the tip on the punches. I was going to try the cricut shapes, and a background for some of the open dies, but never thought a bought the punches. Do I need to use black?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2016, 04:51 PM   #1011  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks I wondered if I should glue the shape down to a white piece of paper for a better scan. You've been very helpful. Hope I get time to play this weekend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2016, 05:03 PM   #1012  
Embossing Fanatic

What are your thoughts on buying one from Walmart? I got my scan n cut 2 from there and it doesn't seem up to par! I spent last night trying to cut a simple stamped image from light yellow flowered dsp. It couldn't read the black ink but read the little white flowers on the paper. Several times it went back to the start screen when it was thinking. I finally got them cut tonight by using a mask that I had cut the image out of using white paper! Tonight I tried to get it to read a stamped black simple design a balloon on white paper the only place it could read it was the very left side of the scanner!
I think I'm going to try to return it and buy it elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2016, 06:38 PM   #1013  
Stazon Splitcoast

Change the size from inches to MM, then use color recognition. I had to do that with mine. I think the only difference when I was looking was the accessories. I got mine from Home shopping Network. It is a model 350h, it is Color and large screen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2016, 08:42 AM   #1014  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by n.d.stamperView Post

What are your thoughts on buying one from Walmart? I got my scan n cut 2 from there and it doesn't seem up to par! I spent last night trying to cut a simple stamped image from light yellow flowered dsp. It couldn't read the black ink but read the little white flowers on the paper. Several times it went back to the start screen when it was thinking. I finally got them cut tonight by using a mask that I had cut the image out of using white paper! Tonight I tried to get it to read a stamped black simple design a balloon on white paper the only place it could read it was the very left side of the scanner!
Looking at your image, the black ink is not very crisp. Take a pen and color in those light areas. Do no use color recognition for something like this. It will look for all colors and why you are getting the flowers. Scan in B&W and it should pick up the bird if your stamping is crisp. I have been cutting these little chicks out right and left!

Clean your scanning glass. Your instructions will show you how. You access it from the bottom of the machine. I use my SU cleaning cloth and rub it on the glass. Anywhere I feel resistance or drag, I continue to clean until it moves smoothly. I don't have the trouble anymore with where my image is on my mat.

I have had my machine for well over a year now. Doing a ton of things with it and personally, I do not recommend using a spray adhesive on your mat. Brother even says no. The adhesive ended up coming up on my paper and made a mess of things over a few weeks time -- and this was the recommended spray from the sewing machine store that sells the SNC.

I use alcohol free baby wipes to clean my mat every time I use it. Once it gets where there is no stickiness, I take a Zig 2 way glue pen and cover the grid portion of the mat and let dry for 24 hours. It is very tacky and will work for several weeks before I need to do it again. I have the same mats as I originally got with my machine.

For those that are deciding between the Silhouette and SNC, take a very good look at Silhouette's licensing policy. From what I understand, you cannot make items using their images and sell them so if you wanting to make cards and sell them, you cannot use one of their images on the card. You also cannot take a Silhouette file and convert it for use on the SNC. You can only cut it out on a Silhouette and then scan it into the SNC although I don't think that is even legal from Silhouette's policy. Very limiting...

I love my SNC2 and really haven't found anything I can't do with it. If I have trouble with scanning an image, I just pencil the outline or do an acetate layer over it, trace it, scan it, remove the acetate and cut the image. There seems to be a work around every time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2016, 08:44 AM   #1015  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnysnowflakeView Post
There is a hack so you can use other mats! I need to try it today. fbstamps.com is Fleurette Bloom. I follow her religiously on Periscope. You can catch replays on Katch.me. She basically cut a cricut mat sides off so that the cricut mat doesn't go under the rollers. Then tape the circuit mat onto the snc mat. It needs to be taped below the line at the top of the mat because the snc reads that line. I got the extra sticky circuit mat to use for fabric and I need to try this hack!
This might work for card stock and thinner materials but wouldn't work for thicker ones as you are limited to the thickness you can cut with the SNC (and all machines) and your mat will bite into that thickness.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2016, 08:47 AM   #1016  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampermomof2View Post
Thank you for such a thorough review! I don't know how I missed it but I didn't realize you can draw with the machine, too. Yay! I am 99% sure this is the machine I will be getting! I love that it scans so if I'm somewhere where you can't access wifi, you can still use the machine. One last question (I think ). Can you hook up your cell or camera directly to the machine and download an image to cut? Not sure if any of the other machines have that capability.
They are all cutters and not printers. You would need a printer to print the picture. Once you have a printed picture, yes the machine will scan it and you can cut out the portion you want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2016, 08:58 AM   #1017  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by dapperdoxieView Post
I'm wondering if you can get cut files like I see at the silhouette site, and use them on this machine...and also if we can make our own designs to have it cut on our computer? I keep going back and forth between this one and the silhouette...love how this scans a file in and will cut it...but I can't seem to figure out if it has any other features, maybe I just haven't found the right video about it, I don't know. *sigh*
Brother does offer some images and projects out on their website and in the Canvas program which is their version of Silhouette Studio. However, it is web based meaning there is nothing installed on your computer. You access the program on the Internet. The advantage is you can access it from ANY computer anywhere. Disadvantage is you need Internet access.

The machine will cut any SVG file if you have the SNC2. If you have the original, you just need to convert it from SVG to FCM using Canvas.

You can design in Canvas but it is pretty simple program in what you can do with it. There is a program called SCAL 4 (Sure Cuts A Lot) which works with all of the machines that is awesome for designing in and pretty easy to learn. It costs around $50 depending upon where you buy it from. I started out working with Canvas and found it a bit limiting so I bought SCAL4 and it has been awesome.

For learning about your machine and what you can do with it, there is an awesome Facebook group called ScanNCut Canvas & SCAL Help. The gal who runs it is super nice and very responsive. She has made TONS of videos on how to do things in both SCAL and Canvas. The thing I like best about her videos is that they are concise. Not a lot of rambling talk. Short, sweet & to the point. Her name is Jen Blausey. You can search YouTube and see her videos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2016, 09:38 AM   #1018  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 249 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by n.d.stamperView Post
...What are your thoughts on buying one from Walmart? I got my scan n cut 2 from there and it doesn't seem up to par! I spent last night trying to cut a simple stamped image from light yellow flowered dsp. It couldn't read the black ink but read the little white flowers on the paper. Several times it went back to the start screen when it was thinking. I finally got them cut tonight by using a mask that I had cut the image out of using white paper! Tonight I tried to get it to read a stamped black simple design a balloon on white paper the only place it could read it was the very left side of the scanner!
As long as the official Brother paperwork was included in the box, the plastic packing wrapper was in place protecting the machine, and the lid was taped down, etc., I think the odds that it was a compromised machine are basically nonexistent. Try the advice from those who use it successfully and consider checking for online groups for SNC2 online, FB, etc. ;)

I also agree with advice from above that having a well-inked black ink pad is very important .. especially when the SNC2 is literally "looking" for the black outline and trying to filter out the other imaging from the colored printed background.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2016, 06:44 PM   #1019  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 349 Likes on 136 Posts

A question for anyone who has used both the original SnC and now the SnC2, what will the new model scan reliably which the old one could not?

I understand about the new one being wireless and able to cut SVG files (all good stuff) but I want to understand what scanning improvements there are, ideally with pictures of what used not to work but now does.

The SnC2 has just been made available in New Zealand and I'm trying to decide whether the upgrade is worth it (we only have the more expensive sewing version available here, not the paper crafting one)

TIA

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2016, 07:22 PM   #1020  
Stampin' Fool

I had the original and upgraded. The feature I like the most on theSNC2 is the ability to read SVG. I haven't had the opportunity to use the color recognition much which is the big difference. I did some testing on the two machines and yes, the RGB on the SNC2 picked up Pool Party, So Saffron and Blushing bride on white while the original SNC didn't but neither found same color ink on paper. It will allow you to scan patterned paper and cut a particular image but it does need to be pretty simple design.

Basically, if I had to do it over, I probably wouldn't upgrade.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2016, 01:10 PM   #1021  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks Cathy, this is really helpful.

For anyone who's interested, here's a review of the RGB scanning vs the greyscale

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2016, 09:55 AM   #1022  
Matboard Maniac

I'm considering buying a SNC2 so that I don't have to fussy cut my stamps out anymore.

I was just wondering if there is any way the machine can cut certain parts of a stamped image on designer paper so that you can paper piece an image?

For example: if I have an image of a little girl wearing a dress and hat can I have the machine cut out her dress and hat on designer paper but also stamp the image again to cut out the full image on white cardstock? I hope that makes sense. I'm guessing you can't since I haven't found any videos on YouTube showing someone doing that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2016, 12:03 PM   #1023  
Pearl-ExPert

I am doing the happy dance this morning :p

I logged on to Canvas and saw that there's a software upgrade for some models as of the 11th. Downloaded it and read the release notes, and see it adds SVG recognition and RGB scanning to my CM550 (the paper/sewing SnC 1 which was made available in New Zealand 2 years ago).

Guess that means I won't be spending out on a new machine for the new SnC 2 features!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2016, 01:40 PM   #1024  
Pearl-ExPert

I am very pleasantly surprised and impressed with Brother.

Apart from the bigger screen (hardware), all the other improvements looked to be software-based. I was hoping Brother would be decent enough to provide one and not just hold out for selling more new machines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2016, 07:24 AM   #1025  
Glitter Queen

Default RGB scanning.. Does it work?

Could you let me know if you are able to scan color images? I have this machine too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2016, 08:49 AM   #1026  
Pearl-ExPert

Yes, RGB scanning is enabled and works nicely

I don't think the update includes the extra patterns from the new machine. It was the RGB scanning and SVG recognition which I really wanted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2016, 01:32 PM   #1027  
FiP
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am definitely impressed with Brother enabling updates to existing models. My only attempt so far to scan a fairly pale patterned paper was moderately successful (before the RGB update it wouldn't see the pale colours at all). The downside is the length of processing time it takes to read the colours. But still better than nothing!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2016, 01:38 PM   #1028  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 691 Likes on 355 Posts

So is the CM550 the original SnC Brother first came out with (back when this thread first started? I am hoping it is, because I really want the RGB Scanning Feature, but I do not want to buy the new machine for it. (I am out-of-town so I can't check mine to see the model#, that is why I am asking.) Thanks! :-) LM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampnnatterView Post
I am doing the happy dance this morning :p

I logged on to Canvas and saw that there's a software upgrade for some models as of the 11th. Downloaded it and read the release notes, and see it adds SVG recognition and RGB scanning to my CM550 (the paper/sewing SnC 1 which was made available in New Zealand 2 years ago).

Guess that means I won't be spending out on a new machine for the new SnC 2 features!

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2016, 03:58 PM   #1029  
Glitter Queen

Thanks to both of you! It seems we would at least be able to scan images without an outline if it is a different color!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2016, 07:37 PM   #1030  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMstampsView Post
So is the CM550 the original SnC Brother first came out with (back when this thread first started? I am hoping it is, because I really want the RGB Scanning Feature, but I do not want to buy the new machine for it. (I am out-of-town so I can't check mine to see the model#, that is why I am asking.) Thanks! :-) LM
I'm not sure. It is the original SnC made available in Australia/New Zealand (the paper and fabric one; the one aimed at papercrafters was the CM100 or 110, I forget which). Perhaps a US contributor to this thread can answer?
I believe there are some differences between the model numbers which are made available in different countries. The Brother upgrade page says the upgrade is available for some machines, which I interpreted as version 1 machines. I'd think the odds are good that there will be an upgrade for yours. The original scanners are certainly capable of scanning in colour, because that's what you see on the screen when you scan the background.
Once you're back home and can check, do let us know whether there is an upgrade for yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2016, 07:43 PM   #1031  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by FiPView Post
I am definitely impressed with Brother enabling updates to existing models. My only attempt so far to scan a fairly pale patterned paper was moderately successful (before the RGB update it wouldn't see the pale colours at all). The downside is the length of processing time it takes to read the colours. But still better than nothing!!!
Did you try increasing the number of colours it distinguishes? By default it will process 5 different colours but that can be increased up to 20 (although processing takes longer the more colours you ask it to work with). I had limited success with my first test design, but much better recognition when I increased the number of colours to 20.

Here's my test sheet (ironically, it's from a sheet of pre-cut stickers!). Recognition of 5 colours was so-so. With 20 it recognised the pansies in the bottom right corner, but not the flower in the top right hand. Even with 5 colours the butterfly in the top right was seen.
Attached Thumbnails
Brother Scan and Cut Machine-sticker-sheet_cropped.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2016, 09:43 PM   #1032  
FiP
Kookie Creator

Stampnnatter, I haven't done any further testing yet. My biggest issue with the extended time scanning in colour takes is my bad back! Because I need to stand up to use the machine, any delays in getting stuff done is a real pain, literally. I may need to try re-organising my craft room to see if I can sit near the screen side. Has anyone used it seated??? However, as I said, I'm super impressed that the upgrades even work on older models. Mine is the CM110 - lowest level released in Australia.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2016, 11:04 PM   #1033  
Pearl-ExPert

I use it seated. I have a folding table which it sits on (good because it has clearance at the back for the mat to go through) and use a standard chair which is about the right height. There are 3 (I think) positions for the screen, one of which works fine when I'm seated. I usually stand up to put the paper on the mat and make sure it's stuck, and sit down to scan and adjust the pattern.

Have you ever tried a kneeling chair? It keeps the spine at a different angle from a normal chair, and works well for some people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2016, 07:11 AM   #1034  
Polyshrink Goddess

reading a comparison chart between the ScanNcut 2 (CM650W) and the CM550DX and noticed that the CM550DX comes with the deep cut blade and the ScanNcut 2 does not. Does it not need the deep cut blade or would it have to be purchased to cut things like chipboard?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2016, 10:29 AM   #1035  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonwoldView Post
reading a comparison chart between the ScanNcut 2 (CM650W) and the CM550DX and noticed that the CM550DX comes with the deep cut blade and the ScanNcut 2 does not. Does it not need the deep cut blade or would it have to be purchased to cut things like chipboard?
Yes, you would have to buy a deep cut blade and deep cut blade holder for chipboard. The 550 won't have wireless connectivity, the ability to scan 12x24 nor the larger screen. I actually have the 350 (same as the 650 but without the 12x24 scanning capability and some preloaded images. Also, I have to purchase the wireless activation code as opposed to it being included but these items were not enough for me to pay the additional price.

Bases on Brother's website, It looks like the deep cut blade and holder do not come with the 650 either.

You have to decide what you will be using it for mostly and go from there. The 350 is on special right now for $249. Wireless activation is another $50 and unless you want all the extra designs and fonts preloaded, it is a much better deal but if you like having top of the line, then go with the 650.

On the wireless, you still have to physically go to your computer to send the file over to your SNC and then go over to your SNC to load your mat. The on
Y thing you are doing is not having to copy the file to a USB and then plug it in. Also, from what I understand, you can't send a large number of files over at a time anyway - just 1 or 2 - so you may have to go back and forth. I ended up not getting the wireless activation and honestly don't miss it.

Ha ha! Probably more info than you wanted.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2016, 10:55 AM   #1036  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by CwmwcwView Post
Yes, you would have to buy a deep cut blade and deep cut blade holder for chipboard. The 550 won't have wireless connectivity, the ability to scan 12x24 nor the larger screen. I actually have the 350 (same as the 650 but without the 12x24 scanning capability and some preloaded images. Also, I have to purchase the wireless activation code as opposed to it being included but these items were not enough for me to pay the additional price.

Bases on Brother's website, It looks like the deep cut blade and holder do not come with the 650 either.

You have to decide what you will be using it for mostly and go from there. The 350 is on special right now for $249. Wireless activation is another $50 and unless you want all the extra designs and fonts preloaded, it is a much better deal but if you like having top of the line, then go with the 650.

On the wireless, you still have to physically go to your computer to send the file over to your SNC and then go over to your SNC to load your mat. The on
Y thing you are doing is not having to copy the file to a USB and then plug it in. Also, from what I understand, you can't send a large number of files over at a time anyway - just 1 or 2 - so you may have to go back and forth. I ended up not getting the wireless activation and honestly don't miss it.

Ha ha! Probably more info than you wanted.....
Actually great information thanks, because here in Canada the price is almost double. I have to really think about what I want. I currently have a Cameo (The first version) I don't like that is can't seem to cut thicker material even though it is suppose to cut it. I wanted it to make my own print and cut embellishments like chipboard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2016, 12:06 PM   #1037  
Pearl-ExPert

I've just been through the same thought and research process to decide whether to upgrade from my CM550, because here in NZ the upgrade doesn't come cheap either - actually, nothing here comes cheap :(

So far, I don't miss any of the things the 550 doesn't have.
Larger screen - the small one is OK, especially as the design can be magnified up to 400 times, or for really complex items there's the PC and Canvas
Wireless - happy to use USB
Larger scan area - I haven't needed to scan anything larger than 12x12 and, while it would be a pain to scan a larger design in 2 halves and weld them, I don't anticipate having to do this often, if ever

I do wish the software upgrade had included some of the new SnC2 built in patterns but again, not enough to pay several hundred dollars for the privilege
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2016, 12:41 PM   #1038  
FiP
Kookie Creator

Dragonwold, I've seen where the SnC needs to cut chipboard twice to cut cleanly. Maybe cutting twice thru chipboard on your cameo would work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2016, 02:38 PM   #1039  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 249 Likes on 133 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by FiPView Post
I've only been able to play once with my new toy ... but had to allow plenty of spare time so not to be rushed & was glad I did that.
After having read about little issues with color recognition, the "I wanna play now!" part of me took my newly colored image to my scanner/printer & printed it on cheapy cardstock. Then I scanned that in, and got a splendid cut on both that sample and followed up with a great cut on the real image. Loved it ... and felt so delighted with self! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2016, 02:45 PM   #1040  
Cardstock Collector

Default question about Scan n Cut 2 and coloring

Have been researching (and watching YouTube videos) for several hours about the Scan n Cut 2 and have a couple of questions that I haven't been able to find answers for and am hoping someone here can help me...

When the image is printed out through the Scan n Cut 2 what coloring mediums can you use? I love using my Prismacolor pencils with Gamsol, but also play around with Copics and occassionally watercolor. Will the image smear or can it withstand these mediums?

What kind of ink does it use, is it a cartridge or pen? My head is swimming with so much information and cannot remember if you can resize your stamped or downloaded images.

Am so excited about this machine... so many possibilities
Reply With Quote Likes