Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-02-2015, 05:33 AM   #241  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

Received 1,411 Likes on 707 Posts

M&Ms used to sell themed color ones for October didn't they? I was going to check in with Amazon to see if they have it b/c I haven't seen them in the stores for a few years now. (for after baby...not negating what I just said about not eating sugar!!)
Old 10-02-2015, 05:33 AM   #242  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first year participating and my first card has been uploaded! (this working for a living nonsense really gets in the way of my creative time!) Having so much fun stalking the galleries, can't wait to see what you all come up with next!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixView Post
Sue, have you ever thought of making a light box for photographing your cards? I love mine....no more waiting for daylight. My pictures are consistent no matter the time of day or weather conditions. I used an old cardboard box for mine, but I think the foamboard might last longer. I just reinforced the tape on mine to help the edges firm up again-it had gotten a bit dilapidated!
I've thought of it and even made a jerry-rigged one a few times, but I just don't have the space for it. We are apartment-dwellers and every square inch is beyond precious (even though it's a good-sized apartment). I don't even have a dedicated space for my Big Shot, so I have to haul it out and set it up on a folding table when I'm doing a create-a-thon...

Watercolor Wizard

I made my own lightbox out of a cardboard box and tissue paper too. Looks pretty rough, but it works okay. My camera stays attached to the tripod and I take photos of all the cards I make for myself or for the Card Ministry. I wish I had the time / energy to upload more of them, although most are not all that spectacular. My problem right now is that after eye surgery to remove scar tissue, everything is blurry. I can't tell whether a photo is in focus or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I've thought of it and even made a jerry-rigged one a few times, but I just don't have the space for it. We are apartment-dwellers and every square inch is beyond precious (even though it's a good-sized apartment). I don't even have a dedicated space for my Big Shot, so I have to haul it out and set it up on a folding table when I'm doing a create-a-thon...

Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
The one in the video is made of foam board and it looks like it can collapse when not in use. I'm so thankful to have dedicated space at this house even if it is in an unfinished basement! I spend years with my supplies crammed into closets and having to haul out and put back everything (and right away too with kids always underfoot!)

I saw that they had candy corn M&M's but that didn't sound appealing. I'm pretty sure they had regular ones in fall colors too though. I like to make a mix of candy corn, M&M's and peanuts or almonds but it is dangerous for me to have in the house. My dad has spent his whole medical career doing research on Diabetes and mostly Gestational Diabetes! Keeping your blood sugar under good control is so worth it.
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 662 Likes on 416 Posts

They make folding light boxes too. ( I was gifted with one a few years ago) its like this translucent fabric Sue. ( makes me wonder if you could make one?)

My Blog
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

My Photo rig: Empty drawer, two small stretched canvases, and my ott lights.
I store the canvases in the keyboard drawer on my desk and use the drawer to prop them up.
I have used a dresser drawer that is dedicated to my crafty things too, this one just had a few less steps and better light arrangement.

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." - Nin
Prayers for Peace On Earth Within Our Time
Stazon Splitcoast

Love your setup and the card is pretty spectacular too!
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapaholic007View Post
My Photo rig: Empty drawer, two small stretched canvases, and my ott lights.
I store the canvases in the keyboard drawer on my desk and use the drawer to prop them up.
I have used a dresser drawer that is dedicated to my crafty things too, this one just had a few less steps and better light arrangement.
Thank you so much for sharing this!! I often struggle with this and am resorting to taking my pictures outside. So I'm limited to daylight hours. This looks brilliant.
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 4,191 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvtostampstampstampView Post
Off to check out the Recipe Box. Can't make a lot of fun stuff yet with Gestational Diabetes going on (though it's been in good check, just can't eat sugar and desserts and heavy carbs!).
Be careful with the gestational diabetes, I had it with my last child.

And 16 years later I got type 2 diabetes. They say that almost everyone who gets it during their pregnancy will get it 15 - 6 years later.

Just keep an eye on it through the years for your health!
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

Quote:

Originally Posted by annsforte3View Post

And 16 years later I got type 2 diabetes. They say that almost everyone who gets it during their pregnancy will get it 15 - 6 years later.

I aim to�it's been very easy to manage with diet and exercise. And it's been very eye-opening to just how much sugar and carbs we Americans over eat!
Old 10-02-2015, 05:12 PM   #252  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by annsforte3View Post

After commenting on having breast cancer 15 years ago when I was 42, this is going to sound like I am the walking dead. I really am super healthy. I have had type I (juvenile diabetes) since I was 10. After 47 years with this disease I have no complications. I urge everyone with diadetes - type I or 2- to control their blood sugars. If you need help, ask your doctor to send you to a nutritionist. You can feel fine with high blood sugars, but eventually there will be complications.
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

Quote:

Originally Posted by f.schlesView Post
After commenting on having breast cancer 15 years ago when I was 42, this is going to sound like I am the walking dead. I really am super healthy. I have had type I (juvenile diabetes) since I was 10. After 47 years with this disease I have no complications. I urge everyone with diadetes - type I or 2- to control their blood sugars. If you need help, ask your doctor to send you to a nutritionist. You can feel fine with high blood sugars, but eventually there will be complications.
I actually feel weird if I have higher blood sugars. I though it was just the pregnancy, but now that it's all controlled nicely, I don't get that feeling. Nice!
Old 10-02-2015, 11:54 PM   #254  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts
Lightbulb Keywords and Card Titles

Good morning, happy World Card-Making day, everybody!!

Can I just put in a plea for all those hoping to be HYCCT Queens?? If you include the challenge keyword in your card title, it makes things ever so much easier for those involved in verifying the queens' lists at the end of the challenge.
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 404 Likes on 305 Posts

I finally found the thread after chasing/chauffering 3 out of 4 of my kids to school(s) and such all week! What a nice start to the weekend, to finally link up to the HYCCT ♥

My dad lost his courageous fight with cancer 9 years ago but each day is one filled with thoughts of him, so it's nice to be able to craft/create for still fighting! Warrioring on!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Instagram: kellyannsanti
My YouTube channel

Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

I'm happily down in my studio and got two cards made for today's challenge!! I got up early so I could be already for the day and get my card done before we leave. DD2 marches in a parade, so we will go watch that. Get some apples for applesauce making next weekend and then lunch out. So I knew I needed to get my card in this morning! And DD3 is up but DH and DD2 were up there! And I heard DH say he didn't know where I was...thought I had gone for my walk! LOL!

Happy card making day!
Old 10-03-2015, 05:27 AM   #257  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiKel4View Post
I finally found the thread after chasing/chauffering 3 out of 4 of my kids to school(s) and such all week! What a nice start to the weekend, to finally link up to the HYCCT ♥
Yay Kelly! I'm glad you're here!
Pearl-ExPert

I am so upset I made my cards uploaded them to my gallery but cant get the link to copy &paste I am using 8.1 anyone else using 8,1 IE what ever is the latest , any help would be appreciated thank you I am off to have a cuppa & a chocolate mint biscuit cheers
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,909 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post

Can I just put in a plea for all those hoping to be HYCCT Queens?? If you include the challenge keyword in your card title, it makes things ever so much easier for those involved in verifying the queens' lists at the end of the challenge.
I will be bold and give an example as I never quite got it until last year! Slow learner in life.

HYCCT1503 The Warrior is a Child

I learned to put the keyword first as that gives a quick reference for when I go looking to put my list in order for the Queen's Thread...I also learned that when I make my card I put a digit on the back of the card so that it corresponds with the order of the challenge so this card would have the #3 written on the back and I now try to upload the cards in order.

A bit OCD but it does work well for getting the Queen's list ready!
Proud Fan Club Member

Default Chatter

I just had to pop in here with a thought that is totally in a different direction...SCS is an amazing place to go when you need to "get yourself back together". Yesterday I totally lost it. DH is a terrific husband and father, but he is very high maintenance. It probably is a subconscious thing, but sometimes when I get my craft stuff out, his eyes glaze over and he starts to panic. I think he worries that I will enter a crafting coma and will not be there for him. I am a calm, controlled, easy going person 99.9% of the time. So, when I do loose it, we are talking atomic bomb equilivant. He doesn't actually say anything about my crafting, he just starts pointing out every spect of dust etc. I started my rant with "October is MY month to do a lot of cards ( I didn't even mention that I plan to make over 30)." I must have gone on for 10 minutes. After I scared DH away, I looked through the galleries, read comments etc. Thank you everyone at SCS for the support and friendships. DHhas appologised numerous times since yesterday morning.
Stazon Splitcoast

Glad you're back together....I think we all lose it like that every once in a while. My DH sometimes drives me crazy when I'm on the computer-"What are you working on?" is his hallmark question. Like most people, I'm not usually working at all....nor is he most of the time I see him on the computer (though as a pastor sometimes he is). It is the passive-aggressiveness of the question that I find annoying. Anyway, I do find that giving him a heads up helps...."I'm going to be responsible to be commenting on cards each day all month long honey so you're going to see me on the computer more" will hopefully go a long way toward smoothing over our little "thing"!
Speaking of work....this is my housework catch up day and DD wants to go shopping later so I'd better go do some real work now.
Happy Saturday everyone!
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Morning everyone,
Sometimes I thing DH's get a bit jealous of the time we spend with the kids and our hobbies!

I know mine used to but now I tell him I have things to get done and so does he and if he lets me get my work done and helps with the household chores we can do something together sooner!!
Stazon Splitcoast

Shannon, your setup is probably more do-able than most I've seen. And Gail is right - that card IS pretty spectacular!

Stacy - I'll have to do some research and see if it's something I could do. I've been sewing for 47 years and doing upholstery for 17, so if it requires only those type of skills (as opposed to engineering or something, lol), then I may be able to pull it off. Collapsible sounds good... And yes, I'm freakin' old! In chronological years only, though - my psyche still thinks I'm 20-something. ;)

Stazon Splitcoast

You all are too funny about the DHs! Mine is pretty easy-going about the crafting thing, but he's VERY passive-aggressive in other areas - makes me crazy! Just freakin' SAY WHAT YOU REALLY MEAN! He's still too wonderful to let that be a deal-breaker, though, and I know I do things that make him equally nutso...

I ended up working all day yesterday, and took on an organizational project last night. I HAD to do it, though. I've been wasting LOTS of precious time tracking down exactly the right color of cardstock, so I did a swatch book a la Jennifer McGuire - cut 1 7/8" squares of EVERY CARDSTOCK I HAVE, labelled them with manufacturer and collection/color and put them in the coin collector pages. Now I can see at a glance which color will work best, and all of the info about it (I even know where I keep it)!

I also had a day and a half of PANIC - I could NOT find my Apothecary Accents dies ANYWHERE! I was near despair, but when I was clearing off the worktable to do my cardstock project, I had to move the stamps and things that I had put together for one of the challenges, and I had already put them in that stack - doh! Can you say "stress and old(er) age kill your memory"? Off to actually MAKE that card now! Buh-bye until later!

Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

After light box by JBgreendawn - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

this is what I meant. I don't use it much anymore because, I needed more space for bigger things, and I was gifted with some portrait lights.

(this was my before that system)
Before by JBgreendawn - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

and this is my current system. ( its on top of a dresser holding stamps in front of a west facing window)
light box by JBgreendawn - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

My Blog
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Thanks for your note that makes sense 😊

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post

Stazon Splitcoast

I picked up some inexpensive clamp lamps to use with my completely free (used a box, white duct tape and some white sheet remnants from a previous project). My box sits on a chair with spindles and the lamps are clamped onto the chair. Not a perfect system for sure, but it works pretty well for me.

The gallery is filling up with beautiful cards! Off to take DD shopping for a bit. Her feet grew this year and nothing fits!
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I only use my I phone to take pictures and then fix any problems in paint! Works beautifully and now with the new I phone 6 plus the photos are even better and there is enough light in my office that I do not need any other kind of lights!
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm guessing that this has already been answered, but...can we combine the HYCCT challenges with challenges outside of Splitcoast? I'm making cards for WCMD and there are so many great challenges that I am finding.
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 134 Likes on 116 Posts
Talking

I usually scan my cards & upload the pictures of them that way.

Now I have a question (and I know someone can answer it!) - I am not able to do posting on some days (the weekend) since I am not a dues paying member of SCS. Is there any difference with this swap? Can all posts for our galleries be done 7 days a week for anyone participating? Or is the weekend still not available?

Thanks for your answers!
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravengirlView Post
I'm guessing that this has already been answered, but...can we combine the HYCCT challenges with challenges outside of Splitcoast? I'm making cards for WCMD and there are so many great challenges that I am finding.
You can combine any other challenge with the HYCCT challenges. But you can NOT combine the HYCCT challenges especially if you would like to be a queen!

If you combine with a challenge that is outside of SCS they ask you to list the HYCCT on whatever site you have posted the challenge to.
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanetJView Post

Now I have a question (and I know someone can answer it!) - I am not able to do posting on some days (the weekend) since I am not a dues paying member of SCS. Is there any difference with this swap? Can all posts for our galleries be done 7 days a week for anyone participating? Or is the weekend still not available?

Thanks for your answers!
I am sorry, I believe that the rules still hold even for this event! It is wonderful to be a fan club member!!
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanetJView Post

Thanks for your answers!
Uploading on Saturdays is the same as a weekday; it's only Sunday that the gallery mods have the day off. Up to about 10 PM Pacific Time, Saturday uploads will still be approved as normal.
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I just want to thank all the ladies who have volunteered to be hostesses this month. This is a wonderful forum and HYCCT is a wonderful challenge to give support to those going through breast cancer. But on another note, this forum and the challenges has definitely brought back my desire to create after 2 1/2 months of no creative juice whatsoever flowing through my veins. Thank you again, and I plan to do my best to create as many cards for this wonderful cause as I can!
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Received 375 Likes on 292 Posts

Reminder: Please remember to upload your hycct cards to the events/hycct/hycct15 gallery, not your member gallery.

Thanks!
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by tessaduckView Post
Reminder: Please remember to upload your hycct cards to the events/hycct/hycct15 gallery, not your member gallery.

Thanks!

And please remember to add the keyword into the title of your card!

Example: HYCCT1503 Card title

Thank you, we want to make sure we get to see all your beautiful work!!
Watercolor Wizard

There has been some discussion (at least in my gallery) about looking at cards made by others before making our own card for the challenges. I know a lot of people prefer not to look so they won't be influenced by what others are doing. I used to feel that way, and felt my ideas were original even if someone else had the same idea as long as I didn't know about it beforehand. But sometimes I don't entirely understand the challenge until looking at what others have done. Sometimes I've misinterpreted the challenge or even missed a key concept. So I'll go back and reread the challenge and have a better idea of how to proceed. Many times the other cards will inspire me to use something that I didn't remember having, although it may not end up being made into a card that looks like theirs. Part of my problem is that my "originality" brain cells seem to have shrunk. Once I see something I like, I can adapt it, run with it, or even finally come up with something that is actually original.

I don't think there is a right or wrong option, but I'm just wondering. . . Who looks at other cards first, and who doesn't look until they've made their own card?

Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

It depends on the challenge... some things I don't entirely "get" so, I have to see at least one example. ( this usually happens with fancy fold things, esp. when the directions start going off on and flip it left or right and score it some more type steps.)

Some things I just get an idea reading the words. ( because, I can picture an image or a sentiment I want to use for it usually)

and every time I host, I tend to work off the spread sheet, so sometimes when the write up gets completed there is "more to it" and I end up making something totally different. ( I have a little pile going of *almost* made it cards that are just in the box and will most likely be a blog post at the end of the month haha)

My Blog
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I agree with Stacy, sometimes just reading the challenge I know what I want to do. Most of the time I reread the challenge a few times to see if I missed something. It is very easy to do. Example: Lydia's challenge is to make a card with the least favorite weather on it. So some people make it with their favorite weather.

Either way there is no wrong way to do a challenge it is your interpretation of the challenge and you are participating!

For this event I worked off the spreadsheet and did not see any other cards. Just worked down the list and did what I thought was the idea behind the challenge!
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

I look at the other cards to make sure I have the idea right. There are times when I see a card and say "why did they do that?" Then I go back to the challenge and read it again and it all becomes clearer!