Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-10-2009, 04:11 PM   #2601  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!
Custom Crops shows Sesame Street, Sesame Street Font, and Wild Cards on their web site for sale. I do not know if they are backordered or not.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 04:29 PM   #2602  
Matboard Maniac

Okay, I know I've asked this but how do you get your pressure and speed dials to work. I've tried moving them but with no luck.

What am I doing wrong?

Help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #2603  
Total Quack

Quote:

Originally Posted by momof3kidzView Post
Okay, I know I've asked this but how do you get your pressure and speed dials to work. I've tried moving them but with no luck.

What am I doing wrong?

Help!

They should just rotate up and down to change the pressure and speed. Then, when you change it, the change should show up on your Cricut screen. If it's not doing this, your bug must have a problem. Make sure the bug is on and try making sure a mat is loaded when you begin to rotate the wheels.

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #2604  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloetzuView Post
Has anyone seen Seasame Street (images and font) or Wild Card on sale anywhwere?
This is the best price that I have found for Wild Card (free ship over 25.00) so far...but I think that Custom Crops may have it as well.

https://www.scrapbookpal.com/Store/P...sp?pid=29-0591

I have tried to win it on ebay for a couple weeks now - NO LUCK! Let me know if you find a better price! I want that one so bad!

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 06:04 PM   #2605  
Kookie Creator

I got Wild Card at customcrops.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 08:31 PM   #2606  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybugstamper2View Post
Nicole's Mom

Here's my summary of the machines

O-Bug - Original Bug, now called the Cricut Personal Electronic Cutter. I have had this one for a year. Cuts up to 5.5 inches, down to 1". No extra features like portrait, quantity, or other features like the E or the CE. When used with the software you can really increase what this machine can do. To get smaller than 1 inch cuts, you just arrange the sizes. Just remember to save the file if you want to repeat the size. I make a calendar for my classroom, I saved the numbers at 3/4 inch in a cut file, so I wouldn't have to redesign them every month.

CE - Cricut Create. I don't have, my friend just purchased, and I haven't seen one in action. This is the same size and cutting size as the O-Bug. The bonus is that it also has some of the cutting features of the Expression. Eight-way directional blade, Portrait mode (to cut taller images), Fit to Page mode (to cut the largest cut possible), Auto Fill mode (to mass produce cuts), Center Point function, and Flip function.

E - Cricut Expression. After a year, I upgraded to this from the O-Bug. Why? The size of the cuts. Software is great, this is more than the software can offer, because of the size of the machine. Also, since I have the O-Bug, without all those features, the bigger machine made more sense than the same amount of money for the same size.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd have gotten the E, the first time out.

Space, use and finances are always part of this decision. Good Luck.
Thank you Gale and Cloetzu and ladybug for answering my question. I have not made it out to get it yet since we have been snowed in.

I am pretty sold on the E. Finances are not an issue and I don't know about space. I have a spare bedroom that is being transformed into my scraproom. I got the Original Scrapbook for Christmas. That is what inspired me to turn this room from a storage room to a scrappin room. I think there should be plenty of room.
I will know more when I get done.

So another words the E does everything the other two machines do? A friend of mine was asking about the ability to turn the paper in a different direction like the Create. I guess that is the Portrait function? Does the E do portrait?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 09:17 PM   #2607  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
Yes, the E does Portrait. The E can cut 12 x 12 and 12 x 24 size papers. The O, Personal and CE can only cut 6 x 12.

This link is from Custom Crops, it compares the O-Bug and the Personal Bug to the Expression.

http://www.customcrops.com/cricut_comparison.html

Based on this from Cricut - The machine also includes an eight-way directional blade, Portrait mode (to cut taller images), Fit to Page mode (to cut the largest cut possible), Auto Fill mode (to mass produce cuts), Center Point function, and Flip function.

The CE has more features than the O-Bug but less than the Expression. It also cuts smaller 6x12 verses 12-24.

My opinion stands, if you can afford it, get the E. Enjoy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 09:32 PM   #2608  
Pearl-ExPert

Cynthia thank you so much for the fast reply. I am glad to see I am not the only night owl.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 03:45 AM   #2609  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by lms1130View Post
AWESOME!! Good for you. Do you have pics of the cards they are going to use?
well I took them of my blog, mags like you to remove cards from online when they accept them but I can put them here for a few days, there was an oscar the grouch card, my rocket card I posted in this thread and the coffee cup gift card holder. The last two I made in SCAL! I'm not sure what issue they will be in but I'll get a copy before it is for sale so I'll keep you posted!
Attached Thumbnails
Cricut Chatter #3-oscar.jpg   Cricut Chatter #3-coffeepocketwwatermark.jpg   Cricut Chatter #3-rocketcard.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 03:51 AM   #2610  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Does any one have the sure cuts alot software that you can purchase and use with the expression?

Any thoughts....To me it almost seems to good to be true.

Any comments welcome

Thanks
It is awesome! I haven't even thought of buying another cartridge! You can draw your own stuff to cut an a free program called inkscape (thats how I made the rocket card above) or you can use the basic shapes to make stuff like i did with the coffee cup card. You can even convert images to cut like templates you have saved as jpg, it is great! I just love that I can make my own templates and you can cut almost any font you have. Th ones that don't cut so well are the fonts that are like very detailed pictures, regular fonts and dingbats cut great! you will love it. I have tutorails on my blog to to get you started if need be! You will love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 05:06 AM   #2611  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaitysmomView Post
This is the best price that I have found for Wild Card (free ship over 25.00) so far...but I think that Custom Crops may have it as well. https://www.scrapbookpal.com/Store/P...sp?pid=29-0591
Beth
They have them for $49 - that is better then I can get them for! Have you ordered from them before? What was your experience? Has anyone else ordered from them? they only charge $4 for shipping to Canada!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 06:09 AM   #2612  
Insane Embellisher

Default Hello Kitty cart

I was looking at the HK cart in DSS - I was playing with the images and realized that I can't get the 'pieces' i want? what I mean is if I pick the kitty I can't find anywhere to get the pieces for her - i.e. the bow in her hair (so I can cut it a different color?)???? What am I missing?

For example if i pick the kitty in the top row (3rd in from the left on the top row), I can't find anywhere to get her bow or flower as seperate pieces?? The shirt is there with SHIFT but not the others???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 06:23 AM   #2613  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

I was looking at the HK cart in DSS - I was playing with the images and realized that I can't get the 'pieces' i want? what I mean is if I pick the kitty I can't find anywhere to get the pieces for her - i.e. the bow in her hair (so I can cut it a different color?)???? What am I missing?

For example if i pick the kitty in the top row (3rd in from the left on the top row), I can't find anywhere to get her bow or flower as seperate pieces?? The shirt is there with SHIFT but not the others???
Cloetzu,
I just got my DSS in the mail yesterday and was reading the instructions. You can look at all the cartridges DSS offers, but you can only get all the features if you actually purchase that particular cartridge. Not sure if you own this cartridge but maybe that's your answer. If you in fact do own the cartridge....I'll have to ponder that one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 06:24 AM   #2614  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Cloetzu,
I just got my DSS in the mail yesterday and was reading the instructions. You can look at all the cartridges DSS offers, but you can only get all the features if you actually purchase that particular cartridge. Not sure if you own this cartridge but maybe that's your answer. If you in fact do own the cartridge....I'll have to ponder that one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 06:27 AM   #2615  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

They have them for $49 - that is better then I can get them for! Have you ordered from them before? What was your experience? Has anyone else ordered from them? they only charge $4 for shipping to Canada!!!!!
I put an order in with them for the first time in late November and was very impressed with their product and service - I had to change one bit of my order which slightly delayed everything but that was my decision not the company's and they accomodated my order change.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 06:28 AM   #2616  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsaymayView Post
well I took them of my blog, mags like you to remove cards from online when they accept them but I can put them here for a few days, there was an oscar the grouch card, my rocket card I posted in this thread and the coffee cup gift card holder. The last two I made in SCAL! I'm not sure what issue they will be in but I'll get a copy before it is for sale so I'll keep you posted!
Wow! those are fab! I really need to sit myself down and play with my Expression.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 07:12 AM   #2617  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmfronius716View Post
Cloetzu,
Hello and congrats on your purchase! As far as I know if you have DSS you should be able to see EVERYTHING the cart can cut - you only need the cart if you actually want to cut the image - thus my confusion...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 07:27 AM   #2618  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Does any one have the sure cuts alot software that you can purchase and use with the expression?

Any thoughts....To me it almost seems to good to be true.

Any comments welcome

Thanks
Hey Jill, I have sure Cuts alot and I love it. I use it for all my fonts and many images!

There are tons of free images similar to what is on the carts, There is a link for it on my blog. Soon Sure cuts alot will be just like DS, the progammer is adding all the same features like Fit to page, Fit to Length, etc.

If you have any questions on it, let me know.

Melissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 07:44 AM   #2619  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappingmelissaView Post
Hey Jill, I have sure Cuts alot and I love it. I use it for all my fonts and many images!

There are tons of free images similar to what is on the carts, There is a link for it on my blog. Soon Sure cuts alot will be just like DS, the progammer is adding all the same features like Fit to page, Fit to Length, etc.

If you have any questions on it, let me know.

Melissa
so what image foramats can SCAL read? or does it only read FONTS?

Last edited by cloetzu; 01-11-2009 at 07:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #2620  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

That is the great thing about SCAL you can have it on two computers!!! If one crashes just email Todd the owner, he is great and he will reset it so you can put it on another one! As long as they are the same platform, meaning two PCs or Two macs, I don't know about if you had a mac and a PC since they are different programs. Just go ahead and download it to home and use the regestration # he gave you to activate it. Also keep a hard copy of the # incase of a crash. Welcome to the world of SCAL, BTW I have free files for scal on my blog so stop by sometime! Feel free to PM me with any other questions!
I am not understandng scal. I understand it is a program for the computer but how does that get transferred to the cricut? How hard is it to learn and how much is Scal? I get nervous learning anything new on the computer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 04:01 PM   #2621  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
I didn't update my dss so I don't have that cart in it, but did you try using the special features buttons? DD has cute a few HKs with that cart and she cut all the pieces out so I know they're on the actual cart in the special features.
Hello,
yes I tried but mabye i missed something... it's just wierd for them to not have all the 'pieces' and expect you to just cut the entire thing out 'x' times to get all the colors you want...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 04:49 AM   #2622  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicole's MomView Post
I am not understandng scal. I understand it is a program for the computer but how does that get transferred to the cricut? How hard is it to learn and how much is Scal? I get nervous learning anything new on the computer.
Hi there,
When you download the trial, or full, version of design studio you update the firmware in the cricut. That allows your computer to communicate with it. It will also let SCAL communicate with it. It's amazing! Download the free trial and see for yourself, you can play with it for 10 days, it is very easy to learn as it is set up much the same as DS. SCAL will cut lines though your design until you pay for it though. It works like this, you type, it shows up on a mat on your screen, you click cut, it cuts what you have designed.
Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 05:10 AM   #2623  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It works like this, you type, it shows up on a mat on your screen, you click cut, it cuts what you have designed.

I thought everything had to be sent through Inkscape (to convert it or something?) after being designed in SCAL? Why is Inkscape mentioned whenever I read about SCAL?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 05:45 AM   #2624  
Total Quack

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherMegView Post
It works like this, you type, it shows up on a mat on your screen, you click cut, it cuts what you have designed.

I thought everything had to be sent through Inkscape (to convert it or something?) after being designed in SCAL? Why is Inkscape mentioned whenever I read about SCAL?

Inkscape is actually to convert images from other formats into SCAL-compatible format (svg). If you are using a font, inkscape isn't needed at all. Some fonts are 'dingbats' and are made of shapes. None of those will need to be converted. Does that help?

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 06:03 AM   #2625  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sure does! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 06:09 AM   #2626  
Total Quack

You're welcome! Have an awesome day.

Oh .... remember, too, that Inkscape is a *free* program, so it's not like you have to buy something else after you get SCAL.

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 06:42 AM   #2627  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

... It will also let SCAL communicate with it. It's amazing! ...
I was just looking at your blog and left a comment on your 'converting' demo. I'll leave it here too in case someone else is interested to: "Thanks for doing this and explaining! I�m still on the fence about getting SCAL. Is there anyway you can show how to work with an image that has more then one color? for example a pic of a disney character like this one: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.mousemanual.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/tinkerbell.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.mousemanual.com/category/blog/&usg=__azOzwlv8eyPUgVNVDp06YZlZweQ=&h=533&w=276&sz=11&hl=en&start=10&um=1&tbnid=CuEOXzaOX49svM:&tbnh=132&tbnw=68&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtinkerbell%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den ? How do you seperate all the pieces (say in photoshop) and then �reassemble� them in inkscape so that you can play with them - ie put them together to create a mat or resize them? after all you probably will want to resize the full image with all it�s parts to use in a project."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 04:29 PM   #2628  
Kookie Creator

btt
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #2629  
Insane Embellisher

where is everyone? you must all be busy chirping!!!!!!!!!!!!! share your creations!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #2630  
Total Quack

Nope ... I'm busy repainting and reorganizing my Haven. I can't even get to my Cricut right now! LOL!

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #2631  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShellView Post
Nope ... I'm busy repainting and reorganizing my Haven. I can't even get to my Cricut right now! LOL!
I seem to be doing everything but Cricut'ing :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 04:50 AM   #2632  
Crimping Master

Hey girls, I was going to go to joanns yesterday to get some new blades and mats cuz all of their cricut products are 40% off but I decided to check online at cutomcrops.com first and the 12x24 mats are $7.49, 12x12 are $6 and the 6x12 are $5!!! their blade were $6 a pack! That is way cheaper than in the stores in my area and they had most of their cats for $30! The latest ones were more but the older ones were cheap! Jo's has them on sale this month for $40 too. Just thought I would enable oh and if you want something for free I have an pillow box cut fle and svg and printable template on my blog: http://thefrugalcrafter.wordpress.co...wbox-template/ Here is a preview:
Attached Thumbnails
Cricut Chatter #3-pillow4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 05:02 AM   #2633  
Mad Swapper

Hi all! I am new to the cricut and could use a little help (received the Expression for Christmas!). I don't understand what the feature shadow means in the font book? Let me start off by saying what I wanted to do with my scrap page and what I thought the shadow feature meant. I want to layer my letters that I cut out. So I cut the letters " the birthday girl" out at 1 1/4 size. Than I wanted to cut "the birthday girl" out again only this time in another color and the next size up to layer them together. I thought this is what the shadow button meant but I think I am mistaken. Can someone explain to me what this feature does and how to use it. Also how can I layer my letters? TIA

Theresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 06:00 AM   #2634  
Total Quack

Quote:

Originally Posted by theresalairdView Post
Hi all! I am new to the cricut and could use a little help (received the Expression for Christmas!). I don't understand what the feature shadow means in the font book? Let me start off by saying what I wanted to do with my scrap page and what I thought the shadow feature meant. I want to layer my letters that I cut out. So I cut the letters " the birthday girl" out at 1 1/4 size. Than I wanted to cut "the birthday girl" out again only this time in another color and the next size up to layer them together. I thought this is what the shadow button meant but I think I am mistaken. Can someone explain to me what this feature does and how to use it. Also how can I layer my letters? TIA

Theresa

You're correct - *except* don't size it up. The shadow is made to leave a border of the background color when cut in proportion to the other letters. So, if you cut Birthday Girl in 1 1/4 size, cut the shadow in the same size. Oh, and make sure that 'real dial size' is NOT on.

Does that make sense??

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 06:13 AM   #2635  
Mad Swapper

Going nuts!

I got my Expression yesterday and am trying to finish my Back-to-school explosion box. I am using Makin the Grade and trying to use the award function with #1 student, and it isn't letting me combine them...

HELP??? What am I doing wrong? I can't find anything in the books about this. Is it the wrong size or something? I am trying to make the award 1", which is small. I could go bigger, but that didn't seem to allow me to select the award function either.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 06:19 AM   #2636  
Total Quack

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabrinasmomView Post
Going nuts!

I got my Expression yesterday and am trying to finish my Back-to-school explosion box. I am using Makin the Grade and trying to use the award function with #1 student, and it isn't letting me combine them...

HELP??? What am I doing wrong? I can't find anything in the books about this. Is it the wrong size or something? I am trying to make the award 1", which is small. I could go bigger, but that didn't seem to allow me to select the award function either.

Thanks!

I'm sorry! I wish I could help, but I have no idea what's up with that one. I hope someone on here can help you.

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 06:23 AM   #2637  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I'm sorry! I wish I could help, but I have no idea what's up with that one. I hope someone on here can help you.
It won't even let me select the locker or the award...ugh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 06:32 AM   #2638  
Total Quack

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabrinasmomView Post
It won't even let me select the locker or the award...ugh.

That's really strange. It sounds like the cartridge might be defective. I am assuming that you're not using the Design Studio, right?

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 06:37 AM   #2639  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

That's really strange. It sounds like the cartridge might be defective. I am assuming that you're not using the Design Studio, right?
I have DS, but I am not using it in this case.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 06:42 AM   #2640  
Pearl-ExPert

Does anyone know if the Cricut is on sale at Michaels right now. I see it is at Joanns but I have the M gift card.
Reply With Quote Likes