Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #4201  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsrussView Post
I actually ended up driving to Maine on Saturday just for the composition books at Walmart. lol The customs guy said "And the purpose of your visit?" So I tell him I'm going to Walmart and he says, "Maam, do you mind me asking why you would drive an hour and a half to go to Walmart? What do we have that you don't?" And I told him about the composition books. He got a good laugh out of it. And said he was going to call his wife and tell her. Ha ha! Of course I bought lots of other things while I was there. The price on the comp books here in Canada was at least $1.50, so I saved a lot of money even when I factored in my gas to get there.

Friday evening I spent my time making coasters. I have two sets done so far. I just wanted to make a couple and get some opinions. I had the picture with me at work today and already have four orders so it was worth it. The coasters might not make it to the craft shows at all. I'm attaching a pic. I'm selling them for $20 for the set of four. Not a bad return on investment since I got them on clearance for 15 cents each. So total for a set of four with little rubber bumpers on the bottom ended up costing me about 75 cents per set. I plan on putting them in a cello bag from M's and then wrapping with a pretty ribbon. I'll include a business card in the bottom of the bag.
Beautiful coaster set!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #4202  
Matboard Maniac

Glad your trip to Wal-Mart was worth the drive. ;) Your coasters are beautiful! What stamps did you use? I love the verse AND the images. Thanks!

Quote:

Friday evening I spent my time making coasters. I have two sets done so far. I just wanted to make a couple and get some opinions. I had the picture with me at work today and already have four orders so it was worth it. The coasters might not make it to the craft shows at all. I'm attaching a pic. I'm selling them for $20 for the set of four. Not a bad return on investment since I got them on clearance for 15 cents each. So total for a set of four with little rubber bumpers on the bottom ended up costing me about 75 cents per set. I plan on putting them in a cello bag from M's and then wrapping with a pretty ribbon. I'll include a business card in the bottom of the bag.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2010, 04:15 PM   #4203  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 177 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by loribelle3View Post
Thanks everyone, for your hints to set up this coming weekend. I am taking a break right now from getting things ready and thought I would check in on here!

Question--for those of you who use the golf pencils for post it note holders-do they stay in and not slip out? And, where do you find them? TIA!
golf pencils- i buy them from staples,office max,etc.
i have my dh drill a tiny hole near the top.
tie w/ dark thread/fiber etc. because the lead will "dirty" white or light colors
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2010, 04:45 PM   #4204  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krafty*KateView Post
Glad your trip to Wal-Mart was worth the drive. ;) Your coasters are beautiful! What stamps did you use? I love the verse AND the images. Thanks!
Thanks for the nice comments ladies! I appreciate it.

For stamps I used PTI. The sentiment came from the Quilter's Sampler Sentiments and the flowers are from Spiral Bouquet. I used Palette inks, metallic rub ons on the edges (they're kind of a gold color IRL) and then clear coated with matte sealer (the spray type). I put little rubber bumpers on the bottoms.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2010, 04:45 PM   #4205  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

I actually ended up driving to Maine on Saturday just for the composition books at Walmart. lol The customs guy said "And the purpose of your visit?" So I tell him I'm going to Walmart and he says, "Maam, do you mind me asking why you would drive an hour and a half to go to Walmart? What do we have that you don't?" And I told him about the composition books. He got a good laugh out of it. And said he was going to call his wife and tell her. Ha ha! Of course I bought lots of other things while I was there. The price on the comp books here in Canada was at least $1.50, so I saved a lot of money even when I factored in my gas to get there.

Love those coasters. Great colors and sentiment. How did you get the coasters for .15? That is a great deal!

Also glad the trip was worth it. You are dedicated crafter!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2010, 04:51 PM   #4206  
Hardware Hotshot

Oh! I should also mention that my brother also went to Maine this weekend, but he went to Bangor (I was just in Calais which is right on the border). He picked up some of the composition books there for me at Target for 25 cents each, so those that have Walmarts and Target both (you lucky girls) might be able to shop at either for those great prices!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2010, 04:53 PM   #4207  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by paris062View Post
Love those coasters. Great colors and sentiment. How did you get the coasters for .15? That is a great deal!

Also glad the trip was worth it. You are dedicated crafter!
I work at a hardware store and they put them on clearance so I picked up a box to try. Of course now we're sold out and I'm kicking myself for not hoarding and picking up two or three boxes. They were a great price. The only unfortunate part is that there are some in the box that probably aren't suitable for coasters since they're really pitted. I might give them a shot anyway though just to see how they turn out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2010, 06:28 AM   #4208  
Insane Embellisher

These coasters are beautiful! I am now inspired to try and make some myself. Did you ink or color them white, or is that how they came? I know that some people bake theirs and some don't, does it work better if you do? Also, what kind of sealant do you use?

I know that there is probably a response to most of these questions on this thread somewhere, but I am having trouble finding what I need.

Thanks!

Pat

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2010, 06:55 AM   #4209  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks Pat! They came that natural color. Because they are stone there is a lot of variation in the color of the tiles. I tried to choose four for each set that bordered along the same shade. I didn't bake mine and have never tried that so I don't know if it would be better or not. I stamp with Palette ink and then let them dry for 24 hours or until I remember them again. Ha ha! To seal them I sprayed them with a couple of layers of Delta Ceramcoat Matte Interior Spray Varnish. I have no idea where I originally got this spray can as I've had it a few years, but I would think you could find it anywhere with the Delta Ceramcoat tole paints. The side of the can says that its for use over acrylic paint. I did try it on a sample tile first to make sure it wouldn't make the ink run, but all was well. I guess you could use any sort of spray varnish to finish them off. I like the look (or the lack of look I guess) from the matte spray. I would test whatever you choose first though just to make sure it won't make the ink run.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2010, 09:27 AM   #4210  
Crimping Master

Default mini comp books

Just wanted to enable (share) i went to walgreens and bought 9 mini note books just to see what would happen, and they all went through, I would give it a try. All they can do is say no..my kids and husband were getting sick of going with me everyday
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2010, 03:58 PM   #4211  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today at Free Printables Club, Gina Jane released an ADORABLE "Ladies Purse". I just downloaded it, cut it, score it, assembled it, and I love it - I can see it in different colors/patterns with a few chocolates in it, or a little pot of hand-made lip gloss and a mini bottle of nail polish. I'm going to put it in Funtime and convert it to a cut file to cut with my Gazelle so I can use my cardstock and such. You could download it and trace it for the pattern then use it with your cardstock. Sell it for a dollar or two and I think the ladies would love it! And the download is FREE!

It matches her "Ladies Night Out" Party in a can club, ($9.99) which is cute too! I bought that and can't wait to make a party can for a girlfriend!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #4212  
Stampin' Fool

Since this is my first year to make and sell the altered comp books I was just wondering...Which one sells the best, the large or the mini and at what price?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #4213  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have to be a club member to get it? I tried and nothing happened.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2010, 05:24 PM   #4214  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftymomto2View Post
Do you have to be a club member to get it? I tried and nothing happened.
You need to register for an account but there is no "club fee" or anything like that, it's totally free.

Go HERE to create your account - you don't have to give any billing information but do need to give an address. Type in your email and create password. Under the referral part you can leave it blank or just type in SCS. They will send you a confirmation, I believe you have to click it to activate your account (I can't remember, it's been several years since I registered.)

Then log in, and go to the LADIES PURSE download page. Scroll down a bit and click "Add To Cart" That takes you to the check out page. Click the check-out button, then on the next page make sure you click the box next to the Terms and Conditions. Then just scroll all the way down, click the "continue" button. That takes you to the review page, and then just click Confirm Order. On the next page will be your link so you can download it.

Once you register, you can log back in each week to see the new free printable - it's usually something that coordinates with her kits on her main DAISIE website but almost all of them can be used alone. And you can go back through the entire website and download as much as you want, for free. Check it first though because there are a few (not very many, but one or two here or there) things that you have to pay for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2010, 06:54 PM   #4215  
Compulsive Stamper

This thread has me super excited with all kinds of wonderful ideas! Does anyone have any tips for finding information on upcoming craft fairs in my area? I am originally from PA, and up there, there is always some sort of craft fair going on somewhere, but since I moved to Florida, I haven't been able to find any... Anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #4216  
Insane Embellisher

I love making these Post-it Note Holders! They are so fast and easy and such a good way for me to use up scraps. I have made 11 so far and have another 14 cut out, glued together and ready to decorate.

Here are the first 4 that I made.

I can't remember what others said they were going to charge for these. Was it $3 or $4?

Pat
Attached Thumbnails
craft sale best sellers?  Let's make a listing!  Please-p7250485.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #4217  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by patscrapView Post
I love making these Post-it Note Holders! They are so fast and easy and such a good way for me to use up scraps. I have made 11 so far and have another 14 cut out, glued together and ready to decorate.

I can't remember what others said they were going to charge for these. Was it $3 or $4?

Pat
Very pretty! Definately $4

ALL NEW!! As of 6/20/11 http://stamperstacey.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #4218  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudreyNicoleView Post
This thread has me super excited with all kinds of wonderful ideas! Does anyone have any tips for finding information on upcoming craft fairs in my area? I am originally from PA, and up there, there is always some sort of craft fair going on somewhere, but since I moved to Florida, I haven't been able to find any... Anyone have any ideas?
Try craigslist for your town or cities nearby, and specify "events." I found quite a few listed for my town, Oklahoma City.

Oklahoma is known as being in the "Bible Belt" and we do have lots and lots of large churches here. They are always having craft fairs. You might look in your Yellow pages under churches and call a few of them and ask if they have any upcoming fairs or bazaars.

Also, don't know how large your city is, but our newspaper here sponsors a website that has info on everything going on in town and upcoming events.

Once you do a fair or two, you can talk to the other vendors and find out about upcoming shows they know about. I found this to be a good source of info. Also, they can tell you a little about the attendance, etc.

The craft fair circuit seems to be pretty slow during the summer months, unless you live in a resort or tourist town, which might make a difference.

Most places start having fairs in the fall and run right up to Christmas.

Good luck finding some fairs.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2010, 04:57 AM   #4219  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Pat
So cute! Aren't they fun to make? I put $4 on mine...we'll see how they sell!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2010, 05:01 AM   #4220  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Pat
Pat,
These are super cute! Great job!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2010, 05:50 AM   #4221  
Hardware Hotshot

Pat, those are so cute! Should have no problem selling for $4.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2010, 05:55 AM   #4222  
Insane Embellisher

Weren't you doing a show this weekend? You will have to report back and let us know how you did and what sold well.

Thanks for the complement on my post-it holders. I made a bunch more last night.

Pat

Quote:

So cute! Aren't they fun to make? I put $4 on mine...we'll see how they sell!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2010, 10:35 AM   #4223  
Matboard Maniac

Question post it holders

Pat, your little postit holders are so cute. Would you please refresh my memory? Are the covers card stock, or something heavier? Do they stay closed pretty well without a tie?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2010, 10:39 AM   #4224  
Insane Embellisher

Hey All - starting to check in now since I've got to start making things!!
I posted my mini-notepads on my blog today if you want to come see

Crafty Creations: Altered Notepads
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2010, 11:23 AM   #4225  
Insane Embellisher

I used heavy textured cardstock from AC Moore. They seem to stay closed just fine. I don't think this style would be great for sticking in a purse. I may try to make some that tie closed or have chipboard covers for that purpose.

Pat

Quote:

Originally Posted by imlynneView Post
Pat, your little postit holders are so cute. Would you please refresh my memory? Are the covers card stock, or something heavier? Do they stay closed pretty well without a tie?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #4226  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by imlynneView Post
Not sure about Pat's but mine were just cardstock and stayed closed with no problem- no tie included

ALL NEW!! As of 6/20/11 http://stamperstacey.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #4227  
Insane Embellisher

Maria,

Your mini-notepads are really cute. How did you line up the holes on the front?

I looked at your craft show setup and I am in awe. Yours looks so professional!

Pat
Quote:

Originally Posted by doggonecraftsView Post

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #4228  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Weren't you doing a show this weekend? You will have to report back and let us know how you did and what sold well.

Thanks for the complement on my post-it holders. I made a bunch more last night.

Pat
I do have a show Saturday. I have been busy getting everything packaged and priced. This isn't a huge show, and I've never attended it before, so I'm not expecting a large crowd or profit. But this will be my first time setting up all by myself (my mother in law also crafts), so I'm excited to see all my "stuff" out at once! I've convinced my husband we need to do a mock set up, but he thinks I'm nuts. Wait, he already thought that!! LOL

Anyway, about the only thing I have left to tag are my large composition notebooks. I've made toppers for everything else, and I have one for those too, but because it is so long, it just looks awkward to me. Maybe I'll take some pictures and you all can give some feedback?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2010, 01:53 PM   #4229  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Love them! It must take a lot of patience to punch those holes!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2010, 01:58 PM   #4230  
Insane Embellisher

Good luck with the show. Make sure you take pictures of your setup and post them. I am interested to see how everyone sets up their displays and packages everything.

I have only done one craft show and just kind of used things that were around the house for my displays. I used my son's old wire cubes from his dorm to display and hang items. I think my booth ended up looking okay, but not great.

What does everyone, who is not SU or CM or CTMH, use for signage on their booths?

Pat

Quote:

I do have a show Saturday. I have been busy getting everything packaged and priced. This isn't a huge show, and I've never attended it before, so I'm not expecting a large crowd or profit. But this will be my first time setting up all by myself (my mother in law also crafts), so I'm excited to see all my "stuff" out at once! I've convinced my husband we need to do a mock set up, but he thinks I'm nuts. Wait, he already thought that!! LOL

Anyway, about the only thing I have left to tag are my large composition notebooks. I've made toppers for everything else, and I have one for those too, but because it is so long, it just looks awkward to me. Maybe I'll take some pictures and you all can give some feedback?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #4231  
Rubber Obsessor

Default packaging for comp notebooks

Here are two samples of the packaging I've been doing. For all my cards, mini notebooks and post it holders, I've made these toppers and really like how they turn out. But when I try to attach them to the top of a large bag for the large composition notebooks...I'm just not liking all that white space on either side of my logo. Am I just being too picky? Is it better to go ahead and do them this way, so everything is labeled the same? Or should I just skip putting tops on them? I'm thinking we might use pegboard and hang some of them, so having the top on would be easier to hole punch. Opinions, please! TIA!
Attached Thumbnails
craft sale best sellers?  Let's make a listing!  Please-img_1136-cropped.jpg   craft sale best sellers?  Let's make a listing!  Please-img_1135cropped.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #4232  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Here are two samples of the packaging I've been doing. For all my cards, mini notebooks and post it holders, I've made these toppers and really like how they turn out. But when I try to attach them to the top of a large bag for the large composition notebooks...I'm just not liking all that white space on either side of my logo. Am I just being too picky? Is it better to go ahead and do them this way, so everything is labeled the same? Or should I just skip putting tops on them? I'm thinking we might use pegboard and hang some of them, so having the top on would be easier to hole punch. Opinions, please! TIA!
Very cute! I like that everything has your logo on it. For the large comp books, is there anything you can do to decorate each side of the logo in the white space? Maybe a couple little owls, or even just a scroll or flourish - nothing that would make it stand out too much from the others, but fill up the space a bit. Even if you just took the owl and stamped one on each side it could it up a bit. A small flourish or scrollie thing would work as well if you have any stamps like that. If you had a lot of time a punch owl would be cute but those take awhile when you are doing a ton of them.

I'd keep the tops, so it coordinates with everything else, and easier to hang - but just fill in that white space a little bit - it doesn't have to be crowded. Do you have anything that coordinates with the owl?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2010, 02:27 PM   #4233  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Good luck with the show. Make sure you take pictures of your setup and post them. I am interested to see how everyone sets up their displays and packages everything.

I have only done one craft show and just kind of used things that were around the house for my displays. I used my son's old wire cubes from his dorm to display and hang items. I think my booth ended up looking okay, but not great.

What does everyone, who is not SU or CM or CTMH, use for signage on their booths?

Pat
I made a banner that says Paper Crafts that I hang on my 10x10 tent. There are pics of it in my Craft Shows Album here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2010, 03:53 PM   #4234  
Insane Embellisher

I really like the pendant sign. I may have to make something like that. TFS!

I like the way you have the cards labelled in your display. I have been looking for a used card spinner locally. I found a standing one for only $40 that I am thinking about buying. Do you think a standing or a tabletop one would be better?

Pat

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsalamonView Post
I made a banner that says Paper Crafts that I hang on my 10x10 tent. There are pics of it in my Craft Shows Album here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #4235  

Quote:

I really like the pendant sign. I may have to make something like that. TFS!

I like the way you have the cards labelled in your display. I have been looking for a used card spinner locally. I found a standing one for only $40 that I am thinking about buying. Do you think a standing or a tabletop one would be better?

Pat
I really think it's whatever you have room for. If you need something to make your table seem "fuller", then maybe a table top spinner would be a good idea. If you've got lots of product, then maybe a standing one. I opted for the tabletop as I didn't have much product, and most booths here are 10x10 and I've got 2 tables that are exactly 10 feet, so I didn't have room for a free-standing spinner.

Hope that helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2010, 09:22 PM   #4236  
Matboard Maniac

RYANN, I love your pennant sign; I am definitely going to copy that idea! Did you use a cutting tool or cut the flags by hand? BTW, call me dumb, but what is "divine twine" used for? :???:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 03:39 AM   #4237  
Insane Embellisher

Hi! - For the mini-notepads, I gingerly, rip out one of the pages of the notebook, so I retained the holes as best I could. Then I traced where the holes were on a piece of cardstock that would match the front cover (so now, that was my template). Then I took the piece of cardstock I would use for my front cover and put pencil marks where the holes were. Then I took my paper piercer and pierced the holes through a mouse pad.
Next I cut a slit exactly vertical with my scissors. I put my atg tape right below the holes and then pushed the paper through the wire slits. MY Holes are much smaller than the holes on the notebook, so there's not much movement on my paper - I think that's why the slits seem unnoticeable (yah!).
my notebook cover does NOT fold all the way back though - so that's something to think about.

Hope that helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 08:00 AM   #4238  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krafty*KateView Post
RYANN, I love your pennant sign; I am definitely going to copy that idea! Did you use a cutting tool or cut the flags by hand? BTW, call me dumb, but what is "divine twine" used for? :???:
Thank you so much! I cut the pennants flags by hand. The scallops are actually circles I punched out that are taped to the back with just half poking out the front. The letters were done with a Cricut.

Divine Twine is just bakers twine but in really yummy colors! You can use it in place of ribbon or regular twine when threading buttons. I love the stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 08:43 AM   #4239  
Matboard Maniac

Cool

Quote:

Hi! - For the mini-notepads, I gingerly, rip out one of the pages of the notebook, so I retained the holes as best I could. Then I traced where the holes were on a piece of cardstock that would match the front cover (so now, that was my template). Then I took the piece of cardstock I would use for my front cover and put pencil marks where the holes were. Then I took my paper piercer and pierced the holes through a mouse pad.
Next I cut a slit exactly vertical with my scissors. I put my atg tape right below the holes and then pushed the paper through the wire slits. MY Holes are much smaller than the holes on the notebook, so there's not much movement on my paper - I think that's why the slits seem unnoticeable (yah!).
my notebook cover does NOT fold all the way back though - so that's something to think about.

Hope that helps
Thanks for this information. I have a few questions that are not quite clear.
1. So you do not uncoil the wire to remove the cover? What happens to the original notebook cover?
2. I can't visualize this part: cut a slit exactly vertical with my scissors. I put my atg tape right below the holes and then pushed the paper through the wire slits. Is it a slit at each hole? Do you put the tape on AFTER putting the new cover onto the wire?

Sorry to sound so stupid. I really appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #4240  
Insane Embellisher

Hi Imlynne,
OK - dont worry about the questions.
No - I don't uncoil the wire. The original notebook cover stays on and the cardstock that I decorated gets glued on top of it.

After piercing the matching holes on my cardstock (which will be the new cover), I then cut a slit from the top of the cardstock to the hole piercing. (You need the slit, so you can thread it between the wire coils). Yes, slit is at each hold.
I put the tape on before laying the new cover on the original.
I took some pictures. Let me upload them and then try to put them in this thread.
Reply With Quote Likes