Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-19-2006, 04:42 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Demo VS Customers

I am very sad to read the arguments that go on.

If you sign up for a company, REPRESENT them. Show what you have. Have a great gallery and knock OUR socks off.

If you do not like something, as a customer, that is ok. The people who are employed by companies (DEMOS), need to understand, then, it is their job to make you love that set, or that thing. That is their JOB.

I think the people who represent the various companies on this website are overly sensitive to the point that they are possibly not being an asset to the companies they represent.. So someone doesn't like a stamp....?? OK. Then, find another way to demo it, or move on to what they like! Most companies have something for everyone. An astute, smart person, can move on, and discover their customers likes and show those items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 04:52 PM   #2  
Sassy Shani

VERY well said! I'm quite sure that you will have a lot of people agreeing with you on this. And for those who want to start an argument.......just ignore them! :mrgreen:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 04:57 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I'm just very sad to see the divide between demo and customer growing around here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 04:58 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by serialpurrs
I'm just very sad to see the divide between demo and customer growing around here.
Me too.:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 05:11 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

I almost died when I read that they were upset to find out what was in the Goodie Bag, before they got there!

OMG. That is really sad and sick. No wonder..seriously our country, our children are so mixed up and we are so hated. What a stupid thing to even think about for more than 30 seconds?

Is something wrong with me, why has everything been reduced so low. Is it because the world is so scary? Are people so upset, and they are afraid? This is a true decline in any normal pattern of adult thinking...

What is it? I really do wonder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 05:15 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedgiemama
OMG. That is really sad and sick. No wonder..seriously our country, our children are so mixed up and we are so hated. What a stupid thing to even think about for more than 30 seconds?
Are you trying to start something over here? :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 05:32 PM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I moved this to the demo forums..... I really don't think it belongs in site suggestions.

We are human... demos and customers. Everyone is allowed opinions. There is WAY more support and love for each other in the demo forums than a few "arguments". Please don't take it out in the other forums and start hurt feelings. We don't learn and grow if we don't make mistakes. We are all responsible for our own business. Please ladies... let's stop and just take a break okay?

Thanks,
~Cambria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 05:45 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sorry Cami...I was the only demo that responded to this thread. The rest don't have access to the demo forum.

So I'm talking to myself. Wait a minute...are trying to keep me from getting ghetto up in herre??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 05:48 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile Demos

Somehow they think the company is seriously lucky to have them.
Their job is to create. If they do not want to, then, it is especially their job, "not to criticize people who do not like something from the company they represent." Have they never worked and realized that the perks they get, need to be earned??
No one gives you something for nothing. NO ONE.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 05:59 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Ok here is a little bit of news
We have moved this to the Gen Stamping because it was started by a non demo.

We are watching this thread VERY CLOSELY! Should it be a downward spiral of back and forth fighting it will be closed.

Please remember that everyone is entitled to their opinions, EVEN IF THEY DIFFER FROM YOURS, you do not have the right to put them down for it.

Let's all just try to play nice... Thanks!!! Let's make SCS a happy place to visit! Thanks yall!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 06:00 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cambria
There is WAY more support and love for each other in the demo forums than a few "arguments".
As a new demo, I'm undecided if that's really true. Even if it is, a "few arguments" can really eat at the moral and effect the atmosphere. I'm thinking I should stay away from some parts of the demo side like I stay away from the current events forum. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 06:02 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereikastamper
Ok here is a little bit of news
We have moved this to the Gen Stamping because it was started by a non demo.

We are watching this thread VERY CLOSELY! Should it be a downward spiral of back and forth fighting it will be closed.

Please remember that everyone is entitled to their opinions, EVEN IF THEY DIFFER FROM YOURS, you do not have the right to put them down for it.

Let's all just try to play nice... Thanks!!! Let's make SCS a happy place to visit! Thanks yall!
It got moved again! Yikes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 06:05 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

I am so very glad that my demos in real life are my friends and treat me as such. They know that there is no way I am going to find every set adorable or every accessory superior to other brands. In addition, they tell me where I can find items similar or identical to SU in cheaper places creating deep loyalty among customers who know that the person's bottom line is a love of stamping that they want to share. My demos tell me which sets THEY hate LOL and sometimes let me buy mini/catty sets that only demos can get because they don't like them and I do. My demo is a friend first and a retailer secondly and never is a person whose bottom line is to make a sale I would later regret. After all folks it is just ink and rubber. This is not about life saving medicines or education for our children. People who get so militant over products that they will do anything, including putting their fingers in their ears and saying "I cannot hear you" are downright scary. When I worked in retail I wanted to know what my customers did not like and I relayed that to the company. It also helped me know where to focus to keep customer loyalty high. Nordstrom has done well because "the customer is never wrong" and "make sure the customer leaves happy every time". Sales clerks are taught NEVER to argue with a customer's taste in product. You take their lead and go with that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 06:06 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

OK... Since this is in general stamping, I have to say that I wish demo/customer relationships and discussions were more positive. Customer service should be our (demos) top priority.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 06:09 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think, like with a lot of things, situations get blown out of proportion. For every tiff we read here, there are THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of friendly, caring interactions as well. I just think that, human nature being what it is, the fight is what draws the crowd.

I think the advice of "ignoring" those who wish to start a fight is my best bet in not getting drawn into things. Obviously, that doesn't change you all, lol, but then I can't change you anyway. I saw a thread the other day where somebody kept trying to stir the pot and nobody was buyin' into it. How cool was that!??

So I guess, when all is said and done, I can only speak for myself and I can only control how "I" act. Sometimes that means I just back out of the whole thread and tell myself that my opinion just might not be required that day...

I got new stamps...I'm a happy girl right now, lol. Adios...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 06:14 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

I don't see anything that would say that this thread is about starting a fight. I think it is a discussion long overdue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 06:21 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Somehow they think the company is seriously lucky to have them.
Their job is to create. If they do not want to, then, it is especially their job, "not to criticize people who do not like something from the company they represent." Have they never worked and realized that the perks they get, need to be earned??
No one gives you something for nothing. NO ONE.

(((((Hedgiemama))))) Gentle hugs being sent your way... totally FREE... and with no strings attached.

May your day be filled with love, laughter, and plenty of time to be creative.

Dancing Rain

Proud to be a Stampin' Up! Demo... and a "Rubber Mutt"

~*~
Click here to Visit My Gallery
HeartPrints Welcome
A

Avatar: Photo taken Dec. 2006 at Wildlife Safari - Winston, OR
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 06:26 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

No not trying to start anything. Hasn't there been an issue all week about people sharing too much.?? Sorry but this whole convention thing was meant to inform the rest of us. Now, we know you were all suspicious. competitive with each other, and ....oh well, Great. Good feelings. Love you too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 06:29 PM   #19  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I guess I'm lost (go figure). My customers are my friends and most of the demonstrators I know are some of the most giving caring people I know.

If you've had a bad experience with a SU! demo, you should find another one. I just hate being lumped into "them" vs. "you" or customers. I treat everyone as I'd like to be treated period. I love being a SU! demo and it makes me sad when I hear of this "division". I guess I don't know what you are referring to???

Again... I'm sorry I moved your thread to the demo forums without checking to see if you were a demo first. I share SCS with my customers/friends and I really didn't understand your post, or why it was it site suggestions.

Have a great evening,
~Cambria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 06:34 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cambria
I share SCS with my customers/friends and I really didn't understand your post, or why it was it site suggestions.

Have a great evening,
~Cambria
The way I understand the original post is that it is a reaction to something which has been going on around here for awhile whether it is totally out in the open or on a more unconsious level.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 07:04 PM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Oh, look, here comes a new girl with a boatload to say...

I don't think it really is an "us" vs. "them" situation. I think that on these boards, we as demos have a unique ability to be privvy to customer comments that we would ordinarily not hear. Do your customers normally call you and say they don't like something? Probably not. They tell you what they do like, and then they order it. I don't think we demos know how to respond to negative comments about our products, we don't usually have to hear it. It's the old, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all, at least not to your demo's face." But on a message board, it's a whole new story.
And I understand the demos wanting to keep the positive vibe around their products. After all, a great comment sticks with one person, a negative one with 10. I'm going to bring up the thread about the new mini. When I first read the title and all the replies, I admit, I thought to myself, why even bother with the new mini? All these people are dissatisfied, I may as well just skip it. Then a demo fought back. Not with words, with a link. A preview! (and I know this is a sore subject, so bear with me). Well, I had to click on it. It was a preview, for gosh sakes! And you know what? My wish list grew and grew. And since my SU rep is no more, I'm going to make one of the reps on this board very happy come September 1st.
Here's one last note, and it's not so much demo vs. customer but demo vs. demo. I'm not an SU demo. I'm a TAC demo. And for 2 1/2 years I've heard to stay away from SCS because it's all SU and since I am generally a non-confrontational person, I did. But I finally joined and the top thread when I first signed on happened to be a bunch of SU reps raving about the TAC catalog. I was shocked, touched, and proud to have signed up here. I've always bought from SU, and I always will. I've always been glad my customers have good relationships with their SU rep. Because even though this is a competitve business, if demos from different companies all get along together, then our customers win in the end.
I guess my point is, as demos, we are the face of our company. And the most important thing we have to keep in mind is to keep positive. About our products, our customers, each other. I'm not saying blast someone with sunshine every time they don't like a product, but find something they will like and can get excited about. Battle the negative word of mouth by encouraging people to see the product for themselves and what you do with it and make up their own minds. I think there are a lot of demos here who put a great face on their company. Deep down, before we are all demos, we are stampers. Sisters in creativity. And because of that, I am thrilled to be part of this community.

-Lauri Hetzer
TAC demo, SU customer, and general stamp addict
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 07:16 PM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by misslauri
Oh, look, here comes a new girl with a boatload to say...

I don't think it really is an "us" vs. "them" situation. I think that on these boards, we as demos have a unique ability to be privvy to customer comments that we would ordinarily not hear. Do your customers normally call you and say they don't like something? Probably not. They tell you what they do like, and then they order it. I don't think we demos know how to respond to negative comments about our products, we don't usually have to hear it. It's the old, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all, at least not to your demo's face." But on a message board, it's a whole new story.
Because our demo is "one of the girls" we are comfortable telling her what we don't like. We all had a good laugh at our last club over that ludicrous lawn decoration set. People mentioned that they were so disappointed in no markers to go with the new inks. She ASKS what sets we want to see demoed and purposely does not demo ones that our group thinks are strange or unattractive even if she does like them. Yep, in phone conversations I have told her what I don't like. After all it is not about HER that I am saying I don't like something. She does not have the "if you can't say something nice" attitude because she really, really does care what we do and do not like!!! As a result she has had several overflowing 10 clubs for a number of years because the joke is that we only have openings due to death or husbands leaving and they reluctantly leave our club to go with the husband rather than stay with us---go figure. We laugh, we cry, we shriek with delight, we complain bitterly, and she is ONE OF US!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 07:20 PM   #23  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

that we only have openings due to death or husbands leaving and they reluctantly leave our club to go with the husband rather than stay with us---go figure. We laugh, we cry, we shriek with delight, we complain bitterly, and she is ONE OF US!
I had to reread that part-I first read it as the husbands dies and then the wives left to be with them. Yikes-I must be tired.

Bottom line-everyone should be respectful of each other no matter who/what company they use, buy from, or sell. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 07:25 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to nadine529

Quote:

Originally Posted by camsmom
Bottom line-everyone should be respectful of each other no matter who/what company they use, buy from, or sell. ;)
I agree.

And, you and your hubby look soooo cute in your avatar!

C'est moi, c'est tout.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 07:27 PM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

I should be more clear...
I'm not saying customers shouldn't say what they don't like. I love it when mine do, because I can pass that information on and use it to tailor things more to their style. There are lots of things I don't care for either, so I certainly don't expect them to love it all. But I also know that a lot of my customers aren't comfortable talking about what they don't like, at least not to me. Or they just don't think about it, they pass over it. Like if you were at a restaraunt and the fish sounded unappetizing, you probably wouldn't tell the waiter, you'd just order the chicken. You might tell the diners you're with that the fish sounded nasty, but not the waiter. Or you'd never think another thing about the fish. I know I have a lot of customers who just don't think about the things they don't like, so they never think to tell me about them. With those customers, I just concentrate on what I know they like instead.
So I think that those demos who don't have customers who would normally talk to them about what they don't like might not know how to respond to negative comments about the products.
Was that clear? I'm on like, my 3rd coffee tonight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 07:27 PM   #26  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by nadine529
I agree.

And, you and your hubby look soooo cute in your avatar!
Thanks!!!!! (psssst we were a bit tipsy to put it mildly-it was after our 6 course beer dinner with a lot of excellent food and beer brewed at the pub;) :mrgreen: )

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 07:30 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I am very sad to read the arguments that go on.

If you sign up for a company, REPRESENT them. Show what you have. Have a great gallery and knock OUR socks off.

If you do not like something, as a customer, that is ok. The people who are employed by companies (DEMOS), need to understand, then, it is their job to make you love that set, or that thing. That is their JOB.

I think the people who represent the various companies on this website are overly sensitive to the point that they are possibly not being an asset to the companies they represent.. So someone doesn't like a stamp....?? OK. Then, find another way to demo it, or move on to what they like! Most companies have something for everyone. An astute, smart person, can move on, and discover their customers likes and show those items.
Well, I have to disagree with you, MY SU! demo was very honest with me and we would share our likes and dislikes with each other when a new mini catty would come out. I have had the opportunity to be in a retail atmosphere for a few years and I was very honest with my customers about a product if I didn't care for it!! I don't believe in telling a customer you just LOVE the item and deep down you actually HATE it. Whats up with that??? I'm an honest person and so is my SU! demo and I'm happy about that.
Just my opinion though!!!!!:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 07:31 PM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabelle1974
Because our demo is "one of the girls" we are comfortable telling her what we don't like. We all had a good laugh at our last club over that ludicrous lawn decoration set. People mentioned that they were so disappointed in no markers to go with the new inks. She ASKS what sets we want to see demoed and purposely does not demo ones that our group thinks are strange or unattractive even if she does like them. Yep, in phone conversations I have told her what I don't like. After all it is not about HER that I am saying I don't like something. She does not have the "if you can't say something nice" attitude because she really, really does care what we do and do not like!!! As a result she has had several overflowing 10 clubs for a number of years because the joke is that we only have openings due to death or husbands leaving and they reluctantly leave our club to go with the husband rather than stay with us---go figure. We laugh, we cry, we shriek with delight, we complain bitterly, and she is ONE OF US!

I think it is funny because I thought the Christmas sets would be what everyone loved BUT instead it is the lawn decorations set. SOOOO...I am doing a Fall Lawn Class. I guess it has to do with us being demented. We are a fun loving group and very honest.

I never did give anybody hell. I just told the truth and they thought it was hell.

Harry S. Truman
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 07:34 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by camsmom
Thanks!!!!! (psssst we were a bit tipsy to put it mildly-it was after our 6 course beer dinner with a lot of excellent food and beer brewed at the pub;) :mrgreen: )
That sounds like fun. I soooo miss good northeastern restaurants. The food stinks down here and don't get me started about the pizza...

C'est moi, c'est tout.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 07:35 PM   #30  
Gabfest Goddess

Smile

Perfectly put, Betsy! Thank you so much for the awesome attitude you have put into words for us. SCS is my happy place!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
I think, like with a lot of things, situations get blown out of proportion. For every tiff we read here, there are THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of friendly, caring interactions as well. I just think that, human nature being what it is, the fight is what draws the crowd.

I think the advice of "ignoring" those who wish to start a fight is my best bet in not getting drawn into things. Obviously, that doesn't change you all, lol, but then I can't change you anyway. I saw a thread the other day where somebody kept trying to stir the pot and nobody was buyin' into it. How cool was that!??

So I guess, when all is said and done, I can only speak for myself and I can only control how "I" act. Sometimes that means I just back out of the whole thread and tell myself that my opinion just might not be required that day...

I got new stamps...I'm a happy girl right now, lol. Adios...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 07:40 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Back to the original post...I don't think anyone ever intends to turn anything into a customers vs. demos thing; I think things just evolve into that sometimes.

And I just chuckle to myself when someone starts with "let's keep this on "our" side" because it just ain't gonna happen with 88,000 people on this board.

As for posting what you like or don't like about stamps, styles, artwork.. well as long as its done in a respectful way, I really don't see the problem with it. I'm sure there are SU! people who frequent this board. Maybe when they see what people say about their products, they utilize that feedback for future product.

Demos should see what the general public likes/dislikes and utilize that info for their workshops. If there's a huge amount of people strongly disliking a set, then maybe they should think twice about using it at a workshop.

You can't please everyone all the time...

And yes, I'm a demo.

C'est moi, c'est tout.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 07:44 PM   #32  
Forum Fanatic

Very well said, Lauri!!!! I hope you continue to find SCS a great site to hang out at!

Quote:

Originally Posted by misslauri
I think that on these boards, we as demos have a unique ability to be privvy to customer comments that we would ordinarily not hear.
I think a lot of customers on this board have felt frustrated by this, as I have read more than a few times (generally written in frustration or anger) that some SCSrs have wished there was a 'customer-only' forum area at SCS. Sometimes it seems we can't have a convo about SU stuff without a demo coming in wearing her Demo Face telling us what kind of attitude we ought to have about SU and their products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 07:48 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just posted in the holiday mini thread, so I will just make is short here.

Plenty of us are hobby demos and do not consider it our job to sell or wow you into buying stamps. We come here for ideas just like everybody else.

Can't lump all demos together either - just like not all customers are alike.

believe me, I know there are demos like the ones you talked about - I have heard about them too - but the generalizations are what make people crazy. In all kinds of topics. JMO.

"Consider how hard it is to change yourself; and you will understand what little chance you have trying to change others."

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 07:54 PM   #34  
Mad Swapper

Mahloumel, I think you are onto something. A customer only forum might be just what is needed to ease the tension around here and there IS an awful lot of tension!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 08:37 PM   #35  
Mad Swapper

A customer only forum sounds like a good idea, but I'd be afraid that it would widen the divide which is already happening. I can just see the two camps sitting in each their own forum while hurling rubber scraps and insults at eachother. Not a great image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 08:51 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by serialpurrs
A customer only forum sounds like a good idea, but I'd be afraid that it would widen the divide which is already happening. I can just see the two camps sitting in each their own forum while hurling rubber scraps and insults at eachother. Not a great image.
I'm afraid I would have to agreee. When I entered the demo forums, I was surprised to see people I had never met. They must never wander out of there. LOL! I'm sure it would happen with a customers only forum, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 09:03 PM   #37  
Forum Fanatic

Sometimes I wish for a customer forum, and sometimes I wish demos would just lay off a little on the posts telling customers how they should feel or react. ("If you don't like it, don't buy it!" "If you want to get all the perks of being a demo, sign up!" "You should be happy you don't want everything in the catty!" Stop me if any of these sound familiar.) What feels like a constant litany lately gets a little old in the general stamping forums when a thread starts out with some customers trying to talk about one facet of our shared hobby. JMHO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 09:08 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Doodah I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you. If someone says they love a particular stamp set and I don't care for it I don't dis thier taste. I have someone that always tells me if she hates a set that I like and personally that's a turn off for me. If there is a product that I don't care for I will say so.

Honestly I'm a small time demo so I purchase sets that I enjoy and demo with them. I don't have the financial means to purchase sets that would cater to everyones taste. However, I do make an honest attempt to make my workshops fun and interesting and show a variety of techniques with products that I do love and by golly if you saw my stamp area you would see there is plenty that I love. I think perhaps what the original poster you were responding to was saying is that it is a demos job to show you why you would want a particular product.

By the way I love the lorikeet in your Avatar. Is s/he from the zoo?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 03:33 AM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

Not sure if as another newbie I should add my two cents worth or not but I am thinking that the original post might be referring to how some posts (usually surrounding Convention) have some demos trying to keep info under wraps so that the customers wont know about items? Some demos want to share and some dont? Maybe this is what she is referring to. Kind of like the whole excitement over the arrival of the new catalogue...some demos shared as they received their catalogues and some demos argued that they shouldnt be letting the cat out of the bag.
If this isnt the sort of scenario that the first poster was talking about everything else I say from here on in is off topic...LOL
But having said that...as strictly a customer....I have found this site to be very helpful and informative, friendly and above all full of encouragement!!
And in general, all the people (demos and customers alike) have been kind and helpful and more than willing to give out "how to" secrets and such. I also figure a demo (with some many of them on SCS) is more likely to know HOW to use a particular SU item than I do. So I guess I like having the demos around when I need them ;)
Do I mind if a demo adds a link to a mini preview? Not in the least!!! Sort of helps me pre-plan my spending! Do I mind hearing the perks and yes, even the cons, of Convention? Nope...I feel that I am visiting here and as such I can make a conscious decision to read a thread or not read a thread. And upon reading a thread I can choose to join or not join.
Basically wherever you get a large group together you are going to get a variance in opinions. And thank goodness for that!! because what a truly boring world it would be if every one thought the same about everything.
Its about respecting that difference of opinions. After all, we are human beings FIRST, stamp lovers, SECOND, demos/customers, THIRD.......Simple as that. JMHO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 03:38 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Speaking solely for myself, as an SU demo, I think I take it too personally when I see a post criticizing an entire catalogue or a mini (even if I share some of these thoughts). I have a knee jerk negative reaction 'cause here we are trying to market a product, etc. Plus, SCS has changed rapidly. It started out as a site for SU demos and has moved on, and I think I need to catch up!! In addition, it got me to thinking about my sensitivity.

I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school. If one of my non Catholic friends makes fun of Catholics, nuns, etc. I get hurt. But, if I'm with a bunch of folks raised Catholic, we can sit around and laugh our heads off about the wacky stuff that happened in Catholic schools in the 1950s and 60s and we can criticise the Catholic church quite harshly.

So, I think it is human nature to be defensive about any organization if you are part of that organization, even if you know there is stuff about the organization that you don't like! I will try and remember this when I see posts critical of SU.

And, I ask customers to remember that we demos are human too -- sometimes our desire to be part of the demo group, for which we paid a price and must continue to pay to stay a member -- can get carried away.
Reply With Quote Likes