Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-20-2006, 03:44 AM   #41  
Hardware Hotshot

Nicely said, Joan. Thank you for a different perspective.

Hugs to all....

Have a wonderful stamp happy day!

Alexa says I'm her mommy's Pretend Stamping Friend....what an honor!

“What we do for Ourselves, dies with Us. What we do for Others and the World, Remains and is Immortal." ~ Albert Pike
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-20-2006, 03:48 AM   #42  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
Speaking solely for myself, as an SU demo, I think I take it too personally when I see a post criticizing an entire catalogue or a mini (even if I share some of these thoughts). I have a knee jerk negative reaction 'cause here we are trying to market a product, etc. Plus, SCS has changed rapidly. It started out as a site for SU demos and has moved on, and I think I need to catch up!! In addition, it got me to thinking about my sensitivity.

I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school. If one of my non Catholic friends makes fun of Catholics, nuns, etc. I get hurt. But, if I'm with a bunch of folks raised Catholic, we can sit around and laugh our heads off about the wacky stuff that happened in Catholic schools in the 1950s and 60s and we can criticise the Catholic church quite harshly.

So, I think it is human nature to be defensive about any organization if you are part of that organization, even if you know there is stuff about the organization that you don't like! I will try and remember this when I see posts critical of SU.

And, I ask customers to remember that we demos are human too -- sometimes our desire to be part of the demo group, for which we paid a price and must continue to pay to stay a member -- can get carried away.
I totally agree with you on this one!!! I do this almost everyday...when I make jokes about my weight or my "race" or even, as you say, the Catholic faith but dont anyone else dare to make jokes or negative comments about any of those things because the boxing gloves come on.....LOL...
But seriously I am the same way with the company that I represent. I find it difficult at times to hear the customers comments about pricing and such so my natural reaction is to defend the company. But I also think that it makes it easier for me to know what it is the customers dislike about the company so that I can either ease their concerns or steer them to another product that might suit their needs better. Like I said earlier, we are all humans and bound to make mistakes, say the wrong things, interpret things wrong, get hurt, get angry etc....but in a public forum like this...we just need to respect one another.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:39 AM   #43  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by camsmom
Thanks!!!!! (psssst we were a bit tipsy to put it mildly-it was after our 6 course beer dinner with a lot of excellent food and beer brewed at the pub )
Is that the secret is that all it takes to get a good photo of me and my husband....I don't think we have had a good photo of the two of us since our wedding (my avatar).

Mindy

Old 07-20-2006, 05:25 AM   #44  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Well I'm one of the ones that bought "that ludicrous lawn decoration set" and I plan to buy the "ugly & scary" Halloween set from the new mini. Doe's it hurt my feelings that some people don't like it........not a bit. It would be a pretty boring gallery around here if everyone had the same taste in rubber
Old 07-20-2006, 05:56 AM   #45  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne S
Well I'm one of the ones that bought "that ludicrous lawn decoration set" and I plan to buy the "ugly & scary" Halloween set from the new mini. Doe's it hurt my feelings that some people don't like it........not a bit. It would be a pretty boring gallery around here if everyone had the same taste in rubber

What set is the "ludicrous lawn decoration set" I am lost!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2006, 05:58 AM   #46  
Splitcoast Team Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereikastamper
Keri, I think they are talking about the new gnome set with garden statues.

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
Old 07-20-2006, 06:00 AM   #47  
Mad Swapper

Just for the record: I love that I can talk to my demo about what I like and dislike in the catties. Nobody will like everything and even if they don't like a mini catty doesn't mean they don't like the SU product. It just means there was nothing that shouted "BUY ME!!!" I don't think demos should take griping seriously. Just enjoy when we customers buy like crazy!
Luv what you guys do and thanks for helping us feed our habits.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:00 AM   #48  
Watercolor Wizard

ahhh okay...I am not sure what set that is.....I will have to go look it up! LOL
Old 07-20-2006, 06:04 AM   #49  
Stampin' Fool

What is interesting to me is that I have not noticed the people who sell socks or toothbrushes or books or videos to have the same lather about their products. I will have to say I do remember the Amway people pretending they wanted you for a BBQ and then pulling out charts to sell you on Amway. In fact, they even had an Amway prayer (yep, prayer to God) that they would say at the beginning of the BBQ.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:05 AM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabelle1974
What is interesting to me is that I have not noticed the people who sell socks or toothbrushes or books or videos to have the same lather about their products.
Socks, toothbrushes, books, or videos are not NEARLY as enjoyable or addicting as RUBBAH!
Old 07-20-2006, 06:23 AM   #51  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereikastamper
No Place like Gnome
Old 07-20-2006, 06:45 AM   #52  
SCS Moderator

Last night at a workshop I said something about the holiday mini and one of my customers said, "Are there any "K" sets (her initial) in it?" meaning any sets that she would enjoy. We joke because our tastes are REALLY different, but we love each other's work. I told her I could think of one that was her style and she would have to check it out and tell me what she thought since she always tells me what she thinks and also guesses sets I would like. I know what she likes and she knows what I like, but we can both support the other person even if our tastes are different.

I do not think demos vs. customers is maybe the right way to look at it-plus it reminds me of a cage match or something, (eek). But based on how violent some reactions are maybe it *is* appropriate, LOL

Old 07-20-2006, 06:49 AM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree, Britta. The title "Demos VS Customers" is very inflammatory by itself...

LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!

LOL
Old 07-20-2006, 06:53 AM   #54  
Stampin' Fool

Maybe, but given not only this thread but dozens of others it is very succinct.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:56 AM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thumbs up

But not suprising, considering most of us, demos and customers alike, are very passionate stampers.

Stamp on, Sistahs!
Old 07-20-2006, 10:01 AM   #56  
Pearl-ExPert

I've never noticed a demo vs customer issue other than posting minis on this board. That is not really a demo/customer issue but demo/demo. Most of the reason I've never noticed a demo/customer friction is because I have no idea if someone is a demo or not. I am a customer but LOVE SU products. I've scrapbooked for 6 years and just over a year ago discovered SU. I really wish I didn't waste my time with other companies products. Of course there are still other companies I would buy from - I love Basic Grey paper and have found paperclips like in the Hodgepodge hardware elsewhere. But really I wish I was introduced to the company sooner.
Do I love everything in the catty? Of course not. Those Santa's on motercycles - what is up with that? I don't like it but I'm sure there are some that do. Everyone has different taste.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Old 07-20-2006, 10:41 AM   #57  
Pearl-ExPert

I think it is good to discuss what stamps we don't like, because if SU hears that enough people think that about a certain set, perhaps they will replace it with something better. I suppose the problem is when people turn criticism not towards the objects we are discussing, but towards individuals and a differing opinion.

To the original post - I agree, some of the things I read on here from a few demos make me glad I'm not their customer. A salesperson should always try to keep a positive attitude when representing their company and not be negative in defending their opinion. If you encounter negativity, counter it with something positive. If someone doesn't like something, offer another alternative.

I worked many years supporting national account managers (salespeople) and now this is how professionals behave. It works the same on a very small scale, too. Keep the venting behind the scenes and private. Remember, SCS is a public place.

~ Kathy

Old 07-20-2006, 10:50 AM   #58  
Mad Swapper

Thank God we have variety in the catalogs. Some people will like some stamps, some will hate them. That's life. I have a great demo and she has never talked me into buying something that I now hate. The stamps that I hate that I have are ones that I picked out all by myself. And some stamps that I didn't like I like now because I have found some great examples on this site. It is weird to see how ultra sensitive some people can get on issues (including me). Just never know what's going to hit a sour note. And I don't like the us vs. them kind of stuff. I suppose there are 'secrets' on the demos only site that I don't know about but I figure that's what comes with being a demo. I've never been turned down by my demo if I have asked for guidance on using something, the tricks of the trade kind of thing. If someone is getting that from their own demo, then maybe shop around for a new demo. We all have something in common - the love of spending hard earned money on stamps and accessories. What could be better than that? Mary
Old 07-20-2006, 11:00 AM   #59  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh, if this is about the Holiday Mini - I laugh when I read that someone doesn't like any of the sets. Sometimes I think that, too. Then, when examples are posted in the gallery, all of a sudden I start to see the possibilities in a set. It's much too soon to start forming my opinion on those future sets until I see them in the gallery here. I know there will be lots of wonderful examples.

~ Kathy

Old 07-20-2006, 11:47 AM   #60  
Hardware Hotshot

I didn't read the whole thread... cuz well I didn't want to.

Speaking as a customer:

sometimes when you work for a company (SU or anyone else) you get very passionate about your work and your company.

I don't feel it's us vs them on SCS - I think it's fun to peek in on what the demo's know (I'm so curious what you talk about on that demo board) and they get to peek in on how customers feel. We are all human and have feelings and sometimes we take things the wrong way and snap back...

It seems most people know when that happens and let it go and move on.

I think I had a point but now I'm not sure.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you’ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Old 07-20-2006, 12:05 PM   #61  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikimom
I worked many years supporting national account managers (salespeople) and now this is how professionals behave. It works the same on a very small scale, too. Keep the venting behind the scenes and private. Remember, SCS is a public place.

~ Kathy
I think this is where the discussions about the convention threads became controversial. They weren't identified clearly as being public, and so demos posted information that probably "should" have been kept behind the scenes. Plus ... all demos don't agree on exactly what should be public knowledge and what should be "behind the scenes". In a public place with 88,000 members, some friction is liable to result.

G.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:37 PM   #62  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by jailbirdstamper
I didn't read the whole thread... cuz well I didn't want to.

I think I had a point but now I'm not sure.

(((HUGS)))
You made me smile!

Alexa says I'm her mommy's Pretend Stamping Friend....what an honor!

“What we do for Ourselves, dies with Us. What we do for Others and the World, Remains and is Immortal." ~ Albert Pike
Old 07-20-2006, 12:40 PM   #63  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by happystamper05
(((HUGS)))
You made me smile!
Me too!!!
Old 07-20-2006, 12:42 PM   #64  
Sassy Shani

Where is that darn dead horse smiley?
Old 07-20-2006, 12:44 PM   #65  
SCS Moderator

Quote:

I don't feel it's us vs them on SCS - I think it's fun to peek in on what the demo's know (I'm so curious what you talk about on that demo board)
Most of the time the discussions are very much business oriented. Questions about workshop ideas, help with ideas for people who move to a new area, questions about shipping times, stamp camp/classes ideas. People also ask questions for customers to other demos-so for example if a customer had a question about a specific product I could find the answer from another demo who had it and get back to my customer.

There is a section for demos to help hostesses and set up workshops for specific audiences-like specific questions on invites, workshops with kids ideas, workshops at homes for Seniors or structuring summer workshops for kids/teens etc.

There is also a swap area that some demos use to get samples from sets they do not have to show customers. It is a bit different than the regular swaps forum in that it usually is for a specific new set or may target a specific section of the catalog and like I said usually are done for samples to share.

There is also an area for Stampin Events (like Regionals or Leadership) for people who have questions about making swaps (how many, what would other demos prefer getting, etc.) or who need help finding a roommate.

Why am I posting this? So that you can get an idea of what it is for. It is not an entire seperate board for demos that mimics the general forum or some evil demo plot to try and brainwash anybody . I know I would wonder as well so I figured I would just tell ya! LOL

Old 07-20-2006, 01:01 PM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just adding to Britta's post...

There's also an Orphaned Demos forum, for demos who have lost their uplines because they no longer demo, or whatever, and are looking for support.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:06 PM   #67  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I'm so tired of people complaining about the "demo vs customer" thing. There has been quite a lot of talk on these topics in the last while and it's getting old. If you don't like something, fine. Everyone has their own personal taste. That's the beauty of humanity. We are all unique with individual tastes. My friend and I have completely different taste when it comes to stamps but does that make me less of a friend? I don't think so. In fact, it makes the friendship better. Could you imagine if we all loved the same stuff? What a boring world ... putting it plainly, I LOVE STAMPS!
Old 07-20-2006, 01:09 PM   #68  
SCS Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Consuelo
Just adding to Britta's post...

There's also an Orphaned Demos forum, for demos who have lost their uplines because they no longer demo, or whatever, and are looking for support.
no no Consuelo-that is the big secret part -NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO we cannot say how we support each other

Old 07-20-2006, 01:19 PM   #69  
Mad Swapper

I would, however, like to know the secret demo handshake. Mary
Old 07-20-2006, 01:20 PM   #70  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I do not think demos vs. customers is maybe the right way to look at it-plus it reminds me of a cage match or something, (eek). But based on how violent some reactions are maybe it *is* appropriate, LOL
For some reason, I pictured two people in a cage like in the Mad Max movie facing off with rubber stamps and eyelet setters. I think I will choose Stazon Ink and my heat gun. Although throwing Prima Flowers at somebody should have an interesting effect.

I think when you are dealing with such a large community of people who are passionate about the same thing, there is bound to be friction. For every person who posts for or against a certain topic, there a lot of people who do not post anything on the thread and just move on.

This is a great site and community for ideas, inspiration and support. I tend to avoid negative things posted by anybody whether they are demo or customer.

Mary Ann

~~ My slowly growing gallery ~~
Old 07-20-2006, 01:22 PM   #71  
Gallery Gazer

thank you Britta for giving us all an idea of what the demo side is like. that is very considerate of you to share.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:31 PM   #72  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrussom
I would, however, like to know the secret demo handshake. Mary
I cannot divuldge the specifics, but it's kinda like becoming blood brothers, only you use ink instead of blood, for health reasons and all.

We brand each other as well. You heat up a rubber stamp with an embossing gun. Drink a couple of amaretto sours. You get the idea. Mine is on my right butt cheek. Your upline gets to choose the image. Mine says "Will work for stamps" but over the years, the stretch marks have distorted it. Now it looks more like, "Will ho for stamps."
Old 07-20-2006, 01:38 PM   #73  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Most of the time the discussions are very much business oriented. Questions about workshop ideas, help with ideas for people who move to a new area, questions about shipping times, stamp camp/classes ideas. People also ask questions for customers to other demos-so for example if a customer had a question about a specific product I could find the answer from another demo who had it and get back to my customer.

There is a section for demos to help hostesses and set up workshops for specific audiences-like specific questions on invites, workshops with kids ideas, workshops at homes for Seniors or structuring summer workshops for kids/teens etc.

There is also a swap area that some demos use to get samples from sets they do not have to show customers. It is a bit different than the regular swaps forum in that it usually is for a specific new set or may target a specific section of the catalog and like I said usually are done for samples to share.

There is also an area for Stampin Events (like Regionals or Leadership) for people who have questions about making swaps (how many, what would other demos prefer getting, etc.) or who need help finding a roommate.

Why am I posting this? So that you can get an idea of what it is for. It is not an entire seperate board for demos that mimics the general forum or some evil demo plot to try and brainwash anybody . I know I would wonder as well so I figured I would just tell ya! LOL

thanks so much for sharing - I just knew there was cool stuff going on over there!!!!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you’ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Old 07-20-2006, 01:40 PM   #74  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

I cannot divuldge the specifics, but it's kinda like becoming blood brothers, only you use ink instead of blood, for health reasons and all.

We brand each other as well. You heat up a rubber stamp with an embossing gun. Drink a couple of amaretto sours. You get the idea. Mine is on my right butt cheek. Your upline gets to choose the image. Mine says "Will work for stamps" but over the years, the stretch marks have distorted it. Now it looks more like, "Will ho for stamps."
hehe
Old 07-20-2006, 01:40 PM   #75  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

rofl!!! you are too funny!!!

Old 07-20-2006, 01:50 PM   #76  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabelle1974
What is interesting to me is that I have not noticed the people who sell socks or toothbrushes or books or videos to have the same lather about their products. I will have to say I do remember the Amway people pretending they wanted you for a BBQ and then pulling out charts to sell you on Amway. In fact, they even had an Amway prayer (yep, prayer to God) that they would say at the beginning of the BBQ.
Yes, but how many websites do you frequent where all you hear is constant complaining about those socks and toothbrushes? I'm sure if you frequented those types of sites, you might be surprised...... constantly hearing disparaging remarks about something you love tends to grate on you after a while....

We're all entitled to your opinion about SU products. Heck there are plenty of sets I don't particularly like.... only difference is I tend to concentrate on what I DO like instead of getting all bent because something isn't to my tastes...
Old 07-20-2006, 01:53 PM   #77  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

I agree, Britta. The title "Demos VS Customers" is very inflammatory by itself...

LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!

LOL
Consuelo you should see my new hairdo! I look like Carlito!

anyone have an apple??
Old 07-20-2006, 01:54 PM   #78  
SCS Moderator

Quote:

Mine is shorter and a bit more ghetto
"Rubba Ho"

Old 07-20-2006, 01:58 PM   #79  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

I just swallowed my gum!
Old 07-20-2006, 02:37 PM   #80  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by fool4scrapping
... constantly hearing disparaging remarks about something you love tends to grate on you after a while....
This is interesting to me to hear this perspective! From my POV, it sometimes feel like a group of customers chatting about something SU gets jumped on by demos upset at what we are saying, and we're all just like, "Hey, we're just conversatin' over here, what's the dilly-o with your negative vibes man?" Never occurred to me that some demos sometimes felt like we were a bunch of neighbourhood punks constantly throwing eggs and tomatoes at the House of Stamps all the time. I never got that vibe from the threads in GenPop before, myself. Usually when demos do get around to mentioning they feel like us customers just grouse all the time about nothing, it's at a point in the thread where tensions are high, and it is not said in a manner that cuts through that, knowutimsayin?