Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-14-2015, 10:12 PM   #121  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Wanted to stop back in with an update. I have quite a few of the original Spectrum Noir markers. I got them at Joann's, and several of them were either dry to start with, or went dry very quickly.

At the time, I was irritated and tossed several of them in the trash! Fast forward to now, when I found the great tip to renew them with denatured alcohol. It works wonderfully well, and I've treated all of the ones I had left that were going dry. I'm so mad at myself that I tossed those dry ones before I knew I could save them.

If any of you are wondering if it works to use the denatured alcohol - Yes, it does! Several people have said they used regular rubbing alcohol, but I got a can of the denatured alcohol at Walmart, and can vouch for it.
Can you tell me where in Walmart you found denatured alcohol because I've never seen it anywhere. That's great that you were able to revitalize some of your markers with the alchohol. I was able to get some of mine working again and will see how long that works but would never have thought to do that without reading this forum! Love tips and hints!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2015, 09:36 AM   #122  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
Can you tell me where in Walmart you found denatured alcohol because I've never seen it anywhere. That's great that you were able to revitalize some of your markers with the alchohol. I was able to get some of mine working again and will see how long that works but would never have thought to do that without reading this forum! Love tips and hints!
I went to the larger Super Center Walmart near my house, to the hardware/paint department to look for it. I finally had to ask a clerk where it was. It was in the section with paint thinners and liquid fuel. Actually the can says it is denatured alcohol, "Clean Burning Fuel" for alcohol stoves and alcohol appliances. It cost about $5, but I will never have to buy it again, lol.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2015, 11:08 AM   #123  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I went to the larger Super Center Walmart near my house, to the hardware/paint department to look for it. I finally had to ask a clerk where it was. It was in the section with paint thinners and liquid fuel. Actually the can says it is denatured alcohol, "Clean Burning Fuel" for alcohol stoves and alcohol appliances. It cost about $5, but I will never have to buy it again, lol.
Thanks! We don't have a Walmart near us (yeah, crazy huh?) but I'll call up a hardware store, or sporting goods store and ask. I used plain alcohol from my medicine cabinet and it worked somewhat but someone else said denatured works better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2015, 12:21 PM   #124  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I am late to this party but I do love to color and have lots of things to color with. I adore my Copic sketch. I am lucky to have access to a fab teacher . Jenn has taught us so much and she is such a practical gal.Instruction is key.Either in person or online, Iots of info out there I have prisma markers ,bic,sharpies,they are all alcohol bases. They play well together but I must (imho) say the Copic colors are more "clear" and seem to have more pigment. I can shade one to almost clear and you can go thru many tints of that markers color. Being that they will sit for a while sometimes, for the others as my copics have not dried out.I also recommend the plain rubbing alcohol to refresh, but the 91% I have found it in most stores but the pharmacy can order it for you. ( I also use that to take ink ,ball point and sharpie out of dh work clothes).
As for colored pencils I mostly use prismacolor. they have Iots of pigment and are soft for blending. You can use a colorless blender pen to blend the pencils.When using pencils you can get different looks by using different techniques. A white pencil will blend and soften the colors. still a but of a hard look to it. a replacement pen nib from ranger is a great tool for these techniques. I use baby oil for another look.I use Gamsol as a blending tool also.. I use a blender pencil for yet another look. Try the same image in the different
techniques, you may surprise yourself with the different looks. I enjoy all of these but the mire I use copics the better I get.. practice, practice, practice..that's the best tip I have ever been given.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2015, 01:47 PM   #125  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So happy for you! I do that type of thing too - throw and then find out I could have salvaged whatever it was I tossed -
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2015, 02:44 PM   #126  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShariWView Post
So happy for you! I do that type of thing too - throw and then find out I could have salvaged whatever it was I tossed -
Yes, so many times I've been making a bunch of cards, and threw away the scraps as I go. Then I'm digging through the trash to take them out to punch out a flower or something for the card, lol.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes