Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #81  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1,164 Likes on 498 Posts

Thanks it will be awhile Because I have buy more first.... But, mom like them

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandidaView Post
Very happy for you, hotwheels! Enjoy your markers and let us see your creations!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2014, 02:25 AM   #82  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by connie leoneView Post
I contacted Crafters companion and they ARE replacing my markers. I had to email them the color families from which I have markers in and seeing that I have 50 + it is all the color families.

She also told me that if they are not used on a regular basis they will dry out. So with that being said, I'm anxious to see how these new markers are.

Outstanding customer service from Crafters companion.
I purchased all of the Spectrum Noir markers from Joann's with my coupons and such. I was like a little kid from a trip to the candy store when I got home. After trying every marker much to my chagrin about 1/3 of them were dry. BRAND new markers...dry. I have contacted, by email, Crafters Companion and still have not heard anything....the thought of poor customer service is coming to me. I didn't see a phone number to call but will locate that next. 2 emails should suffice but maybe I need to get a little more aggressive. Hate that. Brand new products should be working perfectly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2014, 03:30 AM   #83  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I agree, Dottie. Things should work when they are brand new. And the idea of them drying out if you don't use them regularly is ridiculous. (I'm not saying you're ridiculous, Connie. I'm saying the excuse you were given is ridiculous.) I also don't know why they didn't recall all the old markers if they know they're defective. Why continue to sell products that you know you will have to replace?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2014, 08:55 AM   #84  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotwheelsView Post
guess what went Joanns and I find the Spectrum Noir markers 6 packs and a whole bunch of them in 6 packs 14.99 I use Micheal's 40% and it make it like 9.74 or something like that. I bought 2 6 pack pinks and green's And Hobby Lobby has one set 24 49.00 you can use 40% off coupon But, I did not buy that set. I have not tried them yet. I will go buy more next week! yahoo!!!! And they are new ones. hotwheels

So glad that you were finally able to get some, I hope you enjoy them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2014, 04:27 AM   #85  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I would start collecting the basic set which is the 12 sets of 6 pens. The 24 pack sets; Brights, Pastels, Darks, Lights are add-ons to the basic set. Spectrum Noir has many instructional/tutorial videos that explain their color system and teaches you how to use the markers. After doing much research, I decided to invest in the entire set. I have a collection of Copics which I love but I needed more colors in order to get the results I wanted and couldn't spend the 6-7 cost of each marker. I am going to donate them to my daughter who's an artist for her to add to her collection. In my opinion, Copics are of a better quality than Spectrum Noir but as far as blendability and end results it's hard to tell the difference between both. Of course that depends on the paper, and skill of the person using it. Like Copics it's a matter of practice and learning how to blend an alcohol based ink. They are refillable and have replacement nibs, now a brush nib that is similar to the one in the Copic markers. You cannot buy they individually they only come in sets. But you can probably get the markers and refills for the same price that you would pay for one Copic Marker. And there are many other things that you can do with the refills. Take a look at one of the videos on Youtube for an example of what Chistina Griffith does with refills. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeKlBONu01M

Visit my gallery: https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=23807
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2014, 04:50 AM   #86  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Dick Blick and Hallmark Scrapbook had the best prices online when I searched. You can get the 12 Basic set (12 pens each) for 85.99. JoAnns also has the add on sets of 24 but beware, they still have old inventory left and are not selling the next generation markers as of yet.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #87  
Insane Embellisher

I am so loving my new Spectrums. I just found this series of videos on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Christi...+spectrum+noir I made a background using the pens directly to acetate and dabbing with the medium and cotton balls - then decided to just dab the edge of an alcohol swab I bought at CVS on it! Wow. The video describing this technique is part of all these wonderful videos. I used TB6 (True Blue) and DR5 (Dark Red) and it looks so cool!

I do have a question for all of you alcohol ink users. I would like to make a set of coasters using alcohol inks on glazed ceramic tiles. Do I need to spray a finish on them and if so which one?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2014, 11:37 AM   #88  
Stazon Splitcoast

question: I pink Spectrums I thought you use them on watercolors paper. Can't you not watercolors with on watercolors? I just open one pink trying watercolor paper. But, did not work well. My dip the pen in water. She trying make pal it ink. But get it Work. I wondering pinks were the mostly people where trouble wit be dry? I'm afraid we mess it by dip the water. But, I don't know I just bought using. I still in the process buy all the colors I wanted. Would trying filling with alcohol. or call the company? or wait until get the rested of the colors I wanted. And wait and see if they are dry. I am afraid if call the company now. And whats going on and I more and they dry the company. My gave more hard time if I buy more dry too. What would you do? thanks, hotwheels
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2014, 11:44 AM   #89  
Stazon Splitcoast

Check the ends - the new marker ends for Spectrum Noir are Circles of color. If they aren't circles call them and request they are replaced.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #90  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think are new one I just seen for the first joanns. Bought some and open yesterday I don't because dry or mess up by put tip in first using them brand new out the package not sure what to do? thanks hotwheels

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Check the ends - the new marker ends for Spectrum Noir are Circles of color. If they aren't circles call them and request they are replaced.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2014, 12:27 PM   #91  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

you can use the SN markers which are alchohol based and blend with rubbing alcohol using a pallette and brush to paint on watercolor paper. See this video on Crafters Companion website for that technique.

Inky Twist - Spectrum Noir Coloring System from Crafter's Companion

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2014, 12:44 PM   #92  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

JoAnns still has the old ones and will not replace with new ones until they sell out their inventory. You can call them for return and refund, they are very good about returns. FYI the packaging on the Next Generation Spectrum Noir is black compared to the previous version which is light/pastel color but the are both encased in a plastic box.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #93  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotwheelsView Post
question: I pink Spectrums I thought you use them on watercolors paper. Can't you not watercolors with on watercolors? I just open one pink trying watercolor paper. But, did not work well. My dip the pen in water. She trying make pal it ink. But get it Work. I wondering pinks were the mostly people where trouble wit be dry? I'm afraid we mess it by dip the water. But, I don't know I just bought using. I still in the process buy all the colors I wanted. Would trying filling with alcohol. or call the company? or wait until get the rested of the colors I wanted. And wait and see if they are dry. I am afraid if call the company now. And whats going on and I more and they dry the company. My gave more hard time if I buy more dry too. What would you do? thanks, hotwheels
The Spectrum markers are alcohol based, so they won't blend with water, and watercolor paper will soak up the ink pretty quickly because it is so absorbent.

There is a series of videos for using the markers that begins here - that might be helpful for you to watch:
New Accreditation Videos! - Spectrum Noir Coloring System from Crafter's Companion
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2014, 12:51 PM   #94  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Are the ones you dipped in water coloring at all? I wonder if you scribble the tip on some clean cardstock if the ink would begin to flow again.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2014, 02:30 PM   #95  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think my mom tried but very little ink flow. so, I am not if I need too add alcohol not? It, one of the pinks we dipped in a small bowl water. And was small tip! I have not change tip either so, it whatever the makers come with as far the tips on the markers.
Thanks hotwheels

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
Are the ones you dipped in water coloring at all? I wonder if you scribble the tip on some clean cardstock if the ink would begin to flow again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2014, 05:51 AM   #96  
Hardware Hotshot

I am so glad to know I am not the only one who got brand new markers that were dry. I got mine as a Christmas gift so they didn't cost me anything. I know it was wasteful, but I just threw them in the garbage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #97  
Stazon Splitcoast

Dose Spectrum Noir markers. Come in a 6 packaged of oranges? I can't find that color? thanks hotwheels
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #98  
Insane Embellisher

Hi Hotwheels. Unfortunately they do not have a set of orange - which I also am disappointed. There are orange hues in different sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #99  
Stazon Splitcoast

thanks for letting me know. You think they would have orange set. Because that is one of primary colors. And fall images and Ect. Go fingure thanks hotwheels

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShariWView Post
Hi Hotwheels. Unfortunately they do not have a set of orange - which I also am disappointed. There are orange hues in different sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #100  
Die Cut Diva

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up 91% alcohol revived my SN markers

Quote:

Originally Posted by larueView Post
I have refilled many of them with alcohol and it works just great.
I put one eyedropper in the broad end (after I have taken that nib out), put it back in and lay the marker flat for a couple of minutes and it works just great.
I couldn't find denatured alcohol, so bought 91% rubbing alcohol (for about $). I added about 1.5 mL per marker, let set for 10 min., and they worked beautifully!

I am so happy this worked as some of mine were drying out completely even tho my use of them is sporadic and I am careful to always get the caps tight. This is going to save a lot of $ that I would have spent on new markers or refills.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #101  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yay! I love a happy ending. I was gifted the whole set (well minus the pales) for my anniversary by my sweet dh and out of the whole lot, only two had dried out. I did try the alcohol method but it didn't revive either one. When I called Crafter's companion they said to make sure the felt tips were inserted all the way so they touched the pigment portion in the marker, but that didn't change anything either, so they sent out two on the spot!
I have had a lot of fun using them, though it is very time consuming for me...I'm not a natural when it comes to coloring inside the lines!
But I've watched a few of Sandy Allnock's (sp?) copic coloring videos and I see her "oops" and it doesn't seem to bother her one bit. I must be too critical of myself.

Happy coloring
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #102  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by happy-stamperView Post
I couldn't find denatured alcohol, so bought 91% rubbing alcohol (for about $). I added about 1.5 mL per marker, let set for 10 min., and they worked beautifully!
Oops! I meant to say that the rubbing alcohol cost $2. :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2014, 05:12 PM   #103  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by klh54View Post
I have had a lot of fun using them, though it is very time consuming for me...I'm not a natural when it comes to coloring inside the lines!
But I've watched a few of Sandy Allnock's (sp?) copic coloring videos and I see her "oops" and it doesn't seem to bother her one bit. I must be too critical of myself.
It's pretty time consuming for me, too, which just makes those "oops" moments even worse. I have a white signo pen that I use to touch things up when I over-color and it bleeds beyond the line. (Just wait to use the white pen until the SN ink is dry-- otherwise the color will bleed into the white signo ink.) It is virtually invisible when dry and has saved me a lot of frustration!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2014, 02:36 PM   #104  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I purchased my spectrum noirs directly from Crafter's Companion. I had them for about 6 months and two of mine were dry as well. I contacted Crafter's Companion and they sent me refill inks for no cost. And told me that even if the caps are on tight, they might dry out over time because of them being alcohol based. I had no problem refilling them and those are the only two that have ever been dry and I have had mine now almost 18 months. I LOVE them and they are considerably cheaper than Copics.

I have also purchased the Blendabilities from SU. I love those as well. I am a bit concerned though that when they run out of ink they cannot be refilled..... at this point in time anyway.
Mary ~~ QFTD #152, FS#514CC Guest Design Team 2012, 2013, 2017 & 2022 2014 CAS Spring Design Team Member SC Guest Design Team 2015 & 2022 SU Consultant "Life's greatest adventure is finding your place in the Circle of Life" - Lion King
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #105  
Matboard Maniac

I am sad to see all the Spectrum Noir bashing in this thread. From what I have read on their blog and in various reviews, the new generation of markers don't dry out so fast any more. They redesigned the caps to fix the issue, and they can be refreshed if they dry out and refilled too. It seems to me the company provides excellent customer service so they really don't deserve to be bashed. I know Copics are the end all and be all to most of you but many of us are not wealthy so the idea of paying hundreds for a complete set of Copics is just not an option. I for one am glad there are more affordable alternatives.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 11:01 PM   #106  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a Copic fan. If there is a problem with SP then it is great that the company is replacing their defective product. That is called good customer service and it is what they should do. Not all companies do, shame on them. They (any company that doesn't stand by their product) deserve the criticism they get, here and other forums. That being said, I have said, many times that there are on line companies and even some conventions that sell Copics reasonably. And the refills, too. If you figure around $6 for a marker, and another $6 for a refill that will easily fill your marker 10 or more times, that figures out to be a little over $1 each. And it is a quality product. Which is why so many of us LOVE our Copics. And you certainly don't need the entire set. Start with basic colors and add gradually. I have colors I never use and others I use all the time. I don't have refills for the seldom used colors. I have used SN and they are OK. I was turned off by the fact that they were not refillable until recently (what were they thinking) and that you have to buy them in sets. I much prefer to purchase the colors I want. Ditto on blendabilities. They might make them refillable down the road. Why not in the beginning. Hmmm! Happy Stamping...Bobbi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2014, 08:13 AM   #107  
Stampin' Fool

I really see it as more of a preference, not bashing. I'm fine with the results I get with my SN markers but others like the results with Copics and then there are those who like Shin Han or Prisma markers best. What's really great is that there are plenty of choices. Each of us can find our comfort level monetarily, finished result as well as pleasing customer service.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #108  
Insane Embellisher

I'm chiming in again! I have gone bonkers over the re-inkers! I love using them with the applicator to make backgrounds on glossy card stock, glossy paper and glazed tiles. I don't color much but plan on doing more of it because of the results I've had. My coloring will be the bigger more open stamps/digital stamps as I am so perfectionistic that going out of the lines drives me bonkers! It is easier to use the blender on the larger images also to push the color back inside the lines. A reminder for using alcohol inks with digital stamps - print on gray scale and the images absolutely will not run.

PS: All of you in the Anaheim area, Crafters Companion is having their warehouse sale on Saturday November 15th. Planning on stopping by. Happy stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2014, 10:27 AM   #109  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I'm chiming in again! I have gone bonkers over the re-inkers! I love using them with the applicator to make backgrounds on glossy card stock, glossy paper and glazed tiles. I don't color much but plan on doing more of it because of the results I've had. My coloring will be the bigger more open stamps/digital stamps as I am so perfectionistic that going out of the lines drives me bonkers! It is easier to use the blender on the larger images also to push the color back inside the lines. A reminder for using alcohol inks with digital stamps - print on gray scale and the images absolutely will not run.

PS: All of you in the Anaheim area, Crafters Companion is having their warehouse sale on Saturday November 15th. Planning on stopping by. Happy stamping!
I learned that tip a while back on this forum somewhere, and I am so glad I did...makes all the difference when coloring digis!
Have fun at the warehouse sale!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2015, 03:54 PM   #110  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueheronView Post
connie leone--

I contacted Crafter's Companion last week regarding my original-style Spectrum Noir markers which have totally dried up. I have not heard back from them.

However, I used isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) in mine yesterday, and it has revived them. I am certain that 90% solution would be better, butI only had 70% solution on-hand, and it seemed to work just fine. Of course, the key is probably that my markers have had very little use, so the nibs still have lots of ink in them--they are just dried out. The alcohol is the carrier that makes the ink flow.

Are you sure you put enough alcohol in? I used 2-3 ml (I used a syringe without a needle, left over from administering oral meds to my cat).

I put too much alcohol in a couple of times and the alcohol drips out the end when I take the cap off. I'm keeping some paper towels on-hand until the excess drips out. So learn from my mistakes: too little is better than too much! But a few drops will probably NOT work. I would say start with a minimum of about 1 ml (I don't know how many drops that is, but I bet you can find a conversion table on-line).

Good luck--and let us know if you contact Crafter's Companion and actually hear back from them.
Thanks to everyone who suggested putting alcohol into the dry markers. I tried that with a few of mine that were bone dry and got two of them to work. Don't know how long they will last but I couldn't even get a mark from them before adding the alcohol. These were dry right out of the package so I know it wasn't a problem with the caps not being put on tightly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2015, 06:23 PM   #111  
Pearl-ExPert

I recently contacted Crafters Companion about the dry markers that I had and here is their reply. Apparently they are not replacing them anymore, which is disappointing. I know that many crafters said that they stood behind their product but from the reply that I got, they are only offering a discount on replacements. Here is what they said:

Hello Karen,

Unfortunately we have not manufactured
the square markers in over a year and a half now, closer to 2 years, and the
manufactures warranty has expired 9 months ago. I would be more than happy to
give you a 40% off coupon code for the any of the Next Generation markers and
will make sure you get free shipping. I am very sorry. Here is the code SNDS4
can be used 1 time. If you prefer to refill the markers here is a 40% discount
off of those also and that code is SN77 and is also a one time use
coupon.

The new manufacturer that we have making the markers gave us a lot of
free upgrades which we in turn made sure they were free to the consumer. We did
not raise our prices for the Next Generation markers. Those upgrades are the
ability to use a brush nib now, which is sold separately and was the reason for
the redesign, grips on both ends, numbers that are hot stamped into the plastic
for longer wear and tear and double locking lids for longer use before a refill
is needed.

Although the markers may not have been used by you the nature of
alcohol is to evaporate. Stores like AC Moore and Joann's are still selling
them, when they have been asked several times not to, and they put them on sale
knowing they are older stock. I feel sorry for their customers. There were a lot
of rumors going around about the Classic markers in that some said they were
defective which they never were. The markers are less than $2.00 a marker and
was geared towards the crafting industry so people could try out an alcohol
markers without going broke. The art markers in the market today are $8.00 but
every alcohol marker is different. Ours will not be like others, they were a
less expensive alternative to the expensive markers being sold today.

Bindy
Lambell
Customer Service Manager

Sincerely,
Crafter's Companion

I must say that I'm disappointed as I had markers from every single one of the 24 marker sets that were dry right out of the package.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2015, 07:32 PM   #112  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
I recently contacted Crafters Companion about the dry markers that I had and here is their reply. Apparently they are not replacing them anymore, which is disappointing. I know that many crafters said that they stood behind their product but from the reply that I got, they are only offering a discount on replacements. Here is what they said:

Hello Karen,

Unfortunately we have not manufactured the square markers in over a year and a half now, closer to 2 years, and the manufactures warranty has expired 9 months ago. I would be more than happy to give you a 40% off coupon code for the any of the Next Generation markers and will make sure you get free shipping.
Sincerely,
Crafter's Companion

I must say that I'm disappointed as I had markers from every single one of the 24 marker sets that were dry right out of the package.
Well, you can't expect them to replace what they don't make anymore. As they said, the markers you have haven't been made in nearly two years and are out of warranty. Have they been sitting around unused all that time or did you have the misfortune of purchasing the old version recently? It's a shame the big craft stores are refusing to stop selling the old ones. That's so shady! I have the new ones and they are great, no problems at all. If you bought the old version recently, I would say your beef is with whoever you bought them with for selling you old expired product. If your markers sat around unused for a long time, well like they said, alcohol by it's very nature is highly evaporative.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but I think they were quite generous to offer you a big discount on the new ones. You might try buying the reinker for the colors you are having issues with, and use it and some rubbing alcohol (90% is best) to try and refresh them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2015, 09:50 AM   #113  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by GirlFridayView Post
Well, you can't expect them to replace what they don't make anymore. As they said, the markers you have haven't been made in nearly two years and are out of warranty. Have they been sitting around unused all that time or did you have the misfortune of purchasing the old version recently? It's a shame the big craft stores are refusing to stop selling the old ones. That's so shady! I have the new ones and they are great, no problems at all. If you bought the old version recently, I would say your beef is with whoever you bought them with for selling you old expired product. If your markers sat around unused for a long time, well like they said, alcohol by it's very nature is highly evaporative.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but I think they were quite generous to offer you a big discount on the new ones. You might try buying the reinker for the colors you are having issues with, and use it and some rubbing alcohol (90% is best) to try and refresh them.
I totally agree with you GirlFriday. I have gotten to know Bindy quite well and they bend over backwards to make things right for their customers no matter what product one purchases. I love my New Generation markers and have refills for all of them which I use for other projects such as making backgrounds on nonporous surfaces, i.e., ceramic tiles and acetate, using Tim Holtz thingie (when one can't think of the name of something it becomes a thingie) with felt. Love, love, love their colors and the way they set up their sets - three warm and three cool in almost all sets.

I too am sorry that this happened to you. Hope you replace some of them and continue to enjoy your works of heart!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2015, 10:56 AM   #114  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by GirlFridayView Post

Yes, I do understand that CC does not have control over vendors selling their old product that is outdated and not working perfectly and I did contact the vendor about this problem first. The vendor told me to contact the manufacturer which is why I contacted CC. The markers were purchased fairly recently and my guess is that they were on the vendor's shelves for some time. I had no idea that they were old and that new versions had been released. Once I contacted CC, I had offered to send the dry markers to them for replacement and was disappointed that the warranty period had passed. In the meantime I have been in contact with Bindy over at CC and thanked them for the discount as I tried to figure out how to buy refills and/or markers for the ones that do not work. Unfortunately, I would have to buy all three of the 24 packs and one of the 6 packs just to get the individual markers that are dry...with everything else being duplicated. In addition, they were out of half of the refills that I needed. I even asked them if I could buy just the individual markers from the sets that do not work. Bindy has been very helpful as she and I tried to find a resolution to this problem and I will be posting an update in another comment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2015, 11:04 AM   #115  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I totally agree with you GirlFriday. I have gotten to know Bindy quite well and they bend over backwards to make things right for their customers no matter what product one purchases. I love my New Generation markers and have refills for all of them which I use for other projects such as making backgrounds on nonporous surfaces, i.e., ceramic tiles and acetate, using Tim Holtz thingie (when one can't think of the name of something it becomes a thingie) with felt. Love, love, love their colors and the way they set up their sets - three warm and three cool in almost all sets.

I too am sorry that this happened to you. Hope you replace some of them and continue to enjoy your works of heart!
Thanks for your input! As I told GirlFriday, the markers that I have were purchased fairly recently and so I can only conclude that they had been sitting on the the vendor's shelves for a long time. I contacted the vendor over this problem first and they directed me to to CC. Having done so, I have been communicating with Bindy over the past week and a half and she has been helping me get resolution to this problem. I want to point out that all of my communications with CC have been polite and grateful for any assistance that Bindy and CC offered. It's paid off in that Bindy has now offered to replace some of the old markers individually so that I don't have to buy full duplicate sets. Having been in business for 25 years myself (not craft supplies, but business is business) I can see things from both the side of the consumer and the vendor/manufacturer. Just a reminder that even when we are unhappy about a product or service, you get a better response if you are reasonable, flexible and nice about it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2015, 11:07 AM   #116  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Yes, I do understand that CC does not have control over vendors selling their old product that is outdated and not working perfectly and I did contact the vendor about this problem first. The vendor told me to contact the manufacturer which is why I contacted CC. The markers were purchased fairly recently and my guess is that they were on the vendor's shelves for some time. I had no idea that they were old and that new versions had been released. Once I contacted CC, I had offered to send the dry markers to them for replacement and was disappointed that the warranty period had passed. In the meantime I have been in contact with Bindy over at CC and thanked them for the discount as I tried to figure out how to buy refills and/or markers for the ones that do not work. Unfortunately, I would have to buy all three of the 24 packs and one of the 6 packs just to get the individual markers that are dry...with everything else being duplicated. In addition, they were out of half of the refills that I needed. I even asked them if I could buy just the individual markers from the sets that do not work. Bindy has been very helpful as she and I tried to find a resolution to this problem and I will be posting an update in another comment.
Did Bindy explain to you that the reason they are out of the refills is because they are shipped here from England and while I was waiting for the refills and pen sets I wanted they were locked up on the ship because of a dock strike! That is the down side to using products not manufactured in the USA. But you really don't have to buy new pens because the inks are the same for both the pens you have and the Second Generation. When I jumped into alcohol inks with both feet I was so excited that I could get them on sale at JoAnn's and then I started having problems and that's how I met Bindy. I was able to take mine back and then order from them. I love the program they have that you get points for everything you purchase - I had so many points that I received loads of stuff FREE! Please don't give up on the pens. I'm still missing a pen and some refills and you just gave me a heads up that they are still out of them. :( Would love to see some of the works of heart that you've been able to create some time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2015, 11:22 AM   #117  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Did Bindy explain to you that the reason they are out of the refills is because they are shipped here from England and while I was waiting for the refills and pen sets I wanted they were locked up on the ship because of a dock strike! That is the down side to using products not manufactured in the USA. But you really don't have to buy new pens because the inks are the same for both the pens you have and the Second Generation. When I jumped into alcohol inks with both feet I was so excited that I could get them on sale at JoAnn's and then I started having problems and that's how I met Bindy. I was able to take mine back and then order from them. I love the program they have that you get points for everything you purchase - I had so many points that I received loads of stuff FREE! Please don't give up on the pens. I'm still missing a pen and some refills and you just gave me a heads up that they are still out of them. :( Would love to see some of the works of heart that you've been able to create some time!
No, Bindy didn't mention the dock strike but I was aware of it! Wow, what a hassle for them (and everyone else who is affected). The reason I was faced with buying new pens is because they were out of the refills that I wanted. I didn't realize that the refills were just on back-order and I thought they just didn't stock them anymore. I was happy to hear that they're just waiting for a new shipment. One good thing that has come out of this is that I actually sat down with the pens and worked on a few Easter cards this week. Even with so many of them that were unusable I was able to make do. I did notice the points that are available on the website but didn't know how it works. I'll have to check it out! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2015, 11:34 AM   #118  
Pearl-ExPert

Just wanted to post an update from Bindy at CC. As I mentioned, I have been working with Bindy to try to figure out a way to get the markers or refills that I need for the pens that were dry and she was able to dig up some of the pens that I need in the warehouse, along with a couple of refills for the ones that are missing. She is sending them out to me today and I am thrilled. I had offered to pay for the individual markers that had missing refills so that I didn't have to buy a whole 24 or 6 pen set and she was kind enough to try to locate them for me. I am sure that CC has been dealing with problems over their old markers and old stock still being sold so their attempts to help me out are much appreciated. Just wanted to give a thumbs up to CC customer service for helping me out. Also wanted to thank those of you on the forum who suggested using plain alcohol to refresh the dry markers as I was able to get a couple of them to work (if even for just awhile). Love picking up helpful craft tips!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #119  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

No, Bindy didn't mention the dock strike but I was aware of it! Wow, what a hassle for them (and everyone else who is affected). The reason I was faced with buying new pens is because they were out of the refills that I wanted. I didn't realize that the refills were just on back-order and I thought they just didn't stock them anymore. I was happy to hear that they're just waiting for a new shipment. One good thing that has come out of this is that I actually sat down with the pens and worked on a few Easter cards this week. Even with so many of them that were unusable I was able to make do. I did notice the points that are available on the website but didn't know how it works. I'll have to check it out! Thanks!
So glad you were able to get some of your pens to work so you could create! This really is a good company. I've been purchasing product from them for years! Happy Easter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2015, 07:35 PM   #120  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wanted to stop back in with an update. I have quite a few of the original Spectrum Noir markers. I got them at Joann's, and several of them were either dry to start with, or went dry very quickly.

At the time, I was irritated and tossed several of them in the trash! Fast forward to now, when I found the great tip to renew them with denatured alcohol. It works wonderfully well, and I've treated all of the ones I had left that were going dry. I'm so mad at myself that I tossed those dry ones before I knew I could save them.

If any of you are wondering if it works to use the denatured alcohol - Yes, it does! Several people have said they used regular rubbing alcohol, but I got a can of the denatured alcohol at Walmart, and can vouch for it.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes