Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #281  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does seem to be quite a large machine and require a fair bit of space in front and behind.

Ruth
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 10:10 AM   #282  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am trying to figure out where I am going to put it. But figure it out I will do. My studio is jammed, but I will make space for this thing, one way or another.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 10:18 AM   #283  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovemycardsView Post
Oh, you won't be, gale! I'm just debating whether I should get the amazon one or the store one. One thing the store owner said when I was there, was that the blue one will have upgradability, while the red one won't. I can't really believe that's the case. That would mean the innards of these machines are different, right? But both have USB port, so wouldn't both be able to do software upgrades when they are available? Can someone help me with this??? Hubby already said he would buy it for me. I just don't want to waste the money unnecessarily. The extra stuff that come with the blue machine are worth $50 to me, not quite the $100 jump. But if there's something about future upgrades that only the blue machine can get, then it would be worth the extra $50 to get it. Just need to make sure. Help???
That does sound weird. I'd call Brother and verify the blue/red upgradability issue.

I bought the blue bundle because it was available locally and the store had a $50 store credit promo going. So when the 12x24 mat, the photo scanning mat, and other accessories come in, I've got $50 to spend there. And they sell the bags for my vacuum cleaner, so I'm good to go (they're a sewing machine & vacuum store).

The book that comes in the blue bundle is pretty neat, and I like the pens, so it was a great deal for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 11:05 AM   #284  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Oh, you won't be, gale! I'm just debating whether I should get the amazon one or the store one. One thing the store owner said when I was there, was that the blue one will have upgradability, while the red one won't. I can't really believe that's the case. That would mean the innards of these machines are different, right? But both have USB port, so wouldn't both be able to do software upgrades when they are available? Can someone help me with this??? Hubby already said he would buy it for me. I just don't want to waste the money unnecessarily. The extra stuff that come with the blue machine are worth $50 to me, not quite the $100 jump. But if there's something about future upgrades that only the blue machine can get, then it would be worth the extra $50 to get it. Just need to make sure. Help???
That doesn't seem right to me and not in line with what Brother has been saying. I opted for the red one, because I don't have a Brother dealer near me, although their corporate headquarters is very close, and I didn't need all the extras. I am not into the whole pen thing and I didn't need extra designs since I mainly wanted this for fussy cutting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #285  
Glitter Guru

Default 100 vs 550 models

I just got off the phone with Brother and here is what they said:

There is no difference between the machines themselves. The 550DX has a bunch more preloaded images, and comes with an extra mat, the pens and pen holder, a CD of images and a book of images.

Both have the same upgradablitily. I specifically asked and that's what I was told. I have to assume it's true. (Let's hope so.)

Here's a link to the comparison chart:

Select a Brother ScanNCut | Compare Home and Hobby Cutting Machines

The pens and holder can be added to the 100DM. They are not expensive items, I checked on Amazon.

This info might help people choose the best machine for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #286  
Glitter Guru

For those who'd like to pick & choose add-ons (instead of buying everything in the blue 550 bundle), the book is also available on Amazon. It's called Cut Up This Book.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 01:05 PM   #287  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:

One thing the store owner said when I was there, was that the blue one will have upgradability, while the red one won't.
I would suggest that you ask the store owner that he/she contacts Brother re: upgradability on red vs. blue machine. Based on information from Brother, there is no difference between the two machines aside from color and the extras that are included with the blue machine, with the extras being (1) more pre-loaded designs and (2) the pen holder and the pens.

If Brother confirms to the store owner that what the store owner is telling you re: upgradability is correct, we'd appreciate it if you'd post that info on this thread.

Thanks!

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 01-21-2014 at 01:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #288  
Glitter Guru

I made sure to ask the customer service person at Brother that question three separate times in our conversation because of what Annie (lovemycards) said she was told. I certainly hope what customer service told me is correct, that the two are no different in terms of the actual machine.

Yes, it would be good if the store owner checked with Brother.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 03:19 PM   #289  
Crimping Master

Thanks, Robin, aka Rachelrose. I didn't get a chance to contact Brother customer support today. I will go back to the store to check with the store owner and ask him to clarify and report back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 03:47 PM   #290  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I am trying to figure out where I am going to put it. But figure it out I will do. My studio is jammed, but I will make space for this thing, one way or another.
Just wondering if anyone can give the dimensions of this machine. I've checked the Brother website, but can't find any measurements.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #291  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
Come on, people. Don't make me be the last on the bandwagon. LOL

You won't be!!! I am just waiting until I have some more funds. I also was curious about the Cricut Explore - which I have decided is a NO for me.

I still think I want the Blue one though..The Brother dealer is about 2 hours from me...but they are willing to go down in price a little and I think I want the one with all the extras anyways....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 04:00 PM   #292  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

cricut explore was announced at CHA, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #293  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcountry311View Post
cricut explore was announced at CHA, right?
No - they just announced it today..it will be on HSN on 2/12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 04:06 PM   #294  
Glitter Guru

Product Specs:
Weight: 8.2 lbs.
Overall measurements: 20″ L x 7″ W x 5.75″ H
- See more at: ScanNCut Archives - PaperCrafter's Corner

The ScanNCut machine requires open work space of at least 21″ (the length of the machine) x 34″ (the total area required in front of and behind the machine for the mat to properly feed through the machine and scanner) - See more at: ScanNCut Archives - PaperCrafter's Corner

I got the above info off the PaperCrafter's Corner website. HOWEVER in terms of open work space required, I also will link you below to a video where the woman demos hers and it is on the edge of a shelf, so she has the necessary clearance behind the machine, but nothing in front. (Sounds confusing, but if you look at the video you'll see what I mean.) The video is also a very good example of how fussy this cutter can cut.

New Toy I got today...watch if you hate to fussy cut or spend $$$ on coordinating dies for stamps - YouTube

I will probably have to put mine on a table in a similar config. Not so much table surface in front, but the required room for the mat to pass completely through at the back.

Oh, and added note: I just went and bought two PTI sets I have been wanting, but I REMOVED THE MATCHING DIES FROM MY CART. Here's hoping....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #295  
Crimping Master

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 04:08 PM   #296  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janice13View Post
No - they just announced it today..it will be on HSN on 2/12
I saw a video on you tube. It didn't sell me on the machine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #297  
Pearl-ExPert

As had been stated before, on page 66 of the manual that came with my red machine. The section entitled 'Upgrading the Software' has direction on how to upgrade your machine. If/when an upgrade is posted, download the file to a 'clean' thumb drive (flash drive) insert the thumb drive into the USB port on the machine... The directions seem very easy to follow - given in 1,2,3 etc steps. Don't know if just by registering your machine you will receive notification or not. I think you would might get quicker information re an upgrade here on this site. Someone is always 'on top' of info here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #298  
Glitter Guru

Cinnistew - our dimensions don't match. Yours are from Amazon, it looks like. Don't know which are right. I can't seem to find any on the Brother site, maybe someone else can.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 04:31 PM   #299  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks RachelRose!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 04:34 PM   #300  
Pearl-ExPert

A friend told me that the SNC fits in my Cricut Expression rolling bag. Used it to take my machine to my LSS.

Just like any of the cutting machines that use a mat, the space needed depends on the size of mat used. It is about 20" wide.

If you do a lot of fussy cutting like I do, this machine is GREAT! I stamped a SU floret stem and it cut out. The stem was really thin and the jagged edges of the leaves cut easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #301  

Rounded to the nearest inch: 20" wide x 7" high x 13" deep with the front cover OPEN. And you'll need a little additional clearance on the right side of the machine if you'll be using a flash drive in the machine's USB port.

Somewhere in this video PaperCrafter's Corner Presents: Product Review - Brother ScanNCut (Pt. 1) - YouTube, the reviewer tells you how much clearance is needed in the front and the back of the machine in order to accommodate the 12 x 12 cutting mat while the machine is in operation. You can buy a 12 x 24 cutting mat in which case you would, of course, need more front and back clearance to accommodate the additional 12" for the larger mat.

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 01-21-2014 at 04:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #302  
Insane Embellisher

I have mine on my desk, pushed to the back so I have room to work. When I want to use it I pull it forward so there is enough room behind it.

Free cat hair with every card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 05:56 PM   #303  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I figure since the machine doesn't need to be connected to the computer, I am free to move it onto a table when I want to cut and close it up for placement on a shelf.
I will see when it gets here!!! It has shipped.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #304  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Cinnistew - our dimensions don't match. Yours are from Amazon, it looks like. Don't know which are right. I can't seem to find any on the Brother site, maybe someone else can.
You're right and that is why I deleted my post. I just measured mine and it is 20" wide, 6.5" deep, and 6" high (with the screen down). That'll teach me to be lazy and not go into my stamp room and measure! Sorry!

*editing in... it's 8" high with the screen up

Last edited by Cinnistew; 01-21-2014 at 06:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2014, 11:58 PM   #305  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh my goodness.... I need a full report from you now.... those that say they played with it minutes right out of the box.... Gale... Tell us true... I almost can't stand it... I'm thinking about the blue one for using it with fabric also....

Waiting to hear....lol..lol
Faith
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2014, 05:02 AM   #306  
Stazon Splitcoast

Can someone find/do paper piecing with it without stamping the piecing pieces?

I'm thinking scan the base twice once for a cut and once for a piecing cut and save. Then cut the base and then cut whatever pattern paper.

BTW Are the files able to be named and sorted?

Last edited by RiverIsis; 01-22-2014 at 05:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2014, 05:33 AM   #307  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

auuughh. I never thought I'd complain about this but...UPS says it will be here tomorrow. WTH. I just ordered it today and it said Thursday.

Sheesh. I hope it's late. lol

eta: tracked it at UPS. Says Wednesday. Why is UPS so darn efficient?? Maybe dh won't pay attention...
LOL. I can relate to this. We are getting a new washer/dryer delivered next week. I'm holding off ordering the ScanNCut so it won't arrive the day my husband is home for the washer delivery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2014, 08:01 AM   #308  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 667 Likes on 346 Posts

You won't be....I want it, but don't have the funds yet. Can't wait to see what you think when you start using it. LM :-)

Quote:

Come on, people. Don't make me be the last on the bandwagon. LOL

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2014, 07:39 AM   #309  
Inking Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martha JView Post
The ScanNCut has MUCH more cutting force than the Silhouette. It can cut leather. (I did ask at the SNC booth at CHA what the cutting force is but Brother apparently considers that info proprietary and hasn't given that info out.)

I think the SNC has ALL the versatility of the other machines, plus more! The software is the only thing that is not as full fledged as the other machines... but if creating files is what you want to do, you can use Inkscape (free) or Silhouette Studio (free) or other (paid) programs.

As a standalone, it does more! You can use this machine without a computer, without access to the internet, and without cartridges. The other machines (except the Cameo) require at least one of those things to work. And the SNC doesn't require registration marks to find something printed on the page.

I've gone to crops and scanned shapes for friends, then filled the page with the shape to cut out a page full for them!

The ScanNCut does what I wanted the Wishblade to do!

Martha
P.S. I own two Wishblades, a Gazelle, a Cricut Imagine, and a Cricut Expression 2.
Martha:
If you had a SNC could you use Silouette Studio software with it? How would that work? How would you download it if you can't get on the internet?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #310  
Crimping Master

I decided to message Brother on their FB page. And here's what I got back. I'm so excited!

"Hi Annie,
The only differentiation between the two ScanNCut models is the number of built-in designs. The CM550DX has more quilting and appliqu� patterns than the CM100DM. Also, the CM550DX includes the pen holder, pen set, additional mats, plus bonus Cut Up This Book and CD of 50 applique designs. We hope this helps!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #311  
Glitter Guru

Yeah, that's exactly what they told me. The red one was the right choice for me, since I don't really care that much about the extra designs and I figure I can always buy extra mats and also the pens if I want to play with that. And I don't do any quilting and have no plans to.

They do kind of confuse you, making the two machines different colors. You figure there must be some major diff. But no.

Thanks for posting this Annie. Now we've all heard it from enough sources to know what the deal is.

Mine just arrived. I have not set it up yet. Still rearranging all the stuff I had to move to make room for it.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 01-23-2014 at 10:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2014, 10:57 AM   #312  
Crimping Master

I think I will get the red one, too. I don't need all the different shapes and designs. I mainly want to cut out stamps. And if there's any special shapes I want, I can print out from MDS and do it that way, including fabric. I'm very excited. Can't wait to tell hubby that I'm going to help him buy me a present! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #313  
Polyshrink Goddess

I still have a few more months before I can afford one, but I reorganizing my room now to prepare for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2014, 11:05 AM   #314  
Polyshrink Goddess

Martha J,
That is so odd Brother considers cutting force top secret. :confused: All other die machines display it with general spec for their machines. Did they say why?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2014, 11:28 AM   #315  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by graceforever12View Post
Martha:
If you had a SNC could you use Silouette Studio software with it? How would that work? How would you download it if you can't get on the internet?
The Silhouette software will not work with the ScanNCut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #316  
Stazon Splitcoast

That's a bummer, gale. I'll try to get around to testing mine out tonight or tomorrow. Just hasn't been a good chance yet :( . Hope you get it working correctly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2014, 01:37 PM   #317  
Glitter Guru

Yes, not good to hear.

I'll try mine out tomorrow when I've got it set up. I've got some images ready to go.

Hope you can get some answers, gale.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2014, 02:15 PM   #318  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Other designs are the same, and when I cut on the outline, it cut the outline off on one side. I'm waiting to talk to Brother now but I have to leave soon so I may have to try again tomorrow.
I had the same problem. Turning the machine off then back on and going to the home screen so the cartridge aligned took care of it for me. Hope it's that easy for you Gale.

Free cat hair with every card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #319  

Gale,

Well, darn!! So sorry you got a 'rebel' machine that's acting up grrrrr.

And if you have to get a replacement machine, you'll have 'recalibrate' your delivery to keep it clandestine from you-know-who ;)

Good luck. I have my fingers crossed for you that it's a simple thing to correct so that you don't need to get a replacement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #320  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 667 Likes on 346 Posts

WOW! How disappointing! Please let us know how the problem is resolved. LM :-)

Quote:

I had turned it off in between these. I'll probably keep trying but I may set up a return and then reorder.

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes