Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-09-2015, 03:03 PM   #1401  
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Received 379 Likes on 324 Posts

Ann, you are killing me! I do good to get maybe 10 cards mailed. I do have about half the shopping for my kids done, but that is because I found some good sales and clearance this summer. I usually wrap things about 10 minutes before I need them. (And by that I mean toss it in a gift bag.) ;) Pretty sure I am your productivity opposite, lol!
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things, or make them unimportant. - The Eleventh Doctor
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I stopped mailing Christmas cards several years ago due to the rising postage fees. But I'm thinking about reinstating that tradition since our gift giving is changing this year. Money is tight for all of my family and there are no little ones so we've decided to do our traditional 99-Cent store "white elephant" gift game and skip the all-around gift buying. My sister will buy for her kids (all adults) and I'll buy for my boys (adults), my eldest son's girlfriend and her teenage daughter.
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1,164 Likes on 498 Posts

Dose anyone when the prize will start be giving away? I just wondering when might be? thanks hotwheels
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniemckView Post
I had read it was to start about 9am this morning, but that came and went... have been checking off and on all day and not seen an update. EXCITED though, and I did join the "FAN CLUB", spending a lot more time here lately.

Yay - that is awesome!

No - I just got the report today - I have to have my mods help me check it - hopefully we will be ready to start sometime tomorrow!

Not really an exact science!
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
I stopped mailing Christmas cards several years ago due to the rising postage fees. But I'm thinking about reinstating that tradition since our gift giving is changing this year. Money is tight for all of my family and there are no little ones so we've decided to do our traditional 99-Cent store "white elephant" gift game and skip the all-around gift buying. My sister will buy for her kids (all adults) and I'll buy for my boys (adults), my eldest son's girlfriend and her teenage daughter.
We have been doing a "no buy" Christmas for several years now - and I can't tell you how much it has made me love the holiday season.

No one is allowed to buy anything.

If you want to give a gift, it has to be handmade or you have to re-gift something that is already in your home. If you don't want to give a gift - no worries.

We all bring board games and the focus is on being together, not presents. No one has to drive anywhere to shop, etc. So stress-free.
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Lydia - We adults also give any gifts for Christmas. Only my nephews and my godchildren get something. And as you say, it is totally relaxing. No stress and you can enjoy your time.
Christmas has become to commercially. Gifts madness. Is that the meaning of Christmas ? I don�t think so :-)
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here, Lydia. We quit and it makes the Holiday season so much better. I do give dd and ds money. I will probably pick up a toy for my 3 grand kids but that will be it. I also stay away from the stores after Thanksgiving until January or February. It breaks my heart to see the ugliness in people come out over materialist things. That is not the reason for the season and I choose to have joy and peace during Christmas and celebrate what really matters.
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 244 Likes on 184 Posts

We have also decided to shift the emphasis from gifts - in our case, to the chance to get together- as we are in different places, so we help with travel costs. Homemade gifts are my favorite, also coupons for "walk at the shore and picnic lunch"
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 4,191 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafty JuliaView Post
We have also decided to shift the emphasis from gifts - in our case, to the chance to get together- as we are in different places, so we help with travel costs. Homemade gifts are my favorite, also coupons for "walk at the shore and picnic lunch"
I bake cheesecakes for all of my brothers and nieces! Makes a great gift for them to use with their company!
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I sometimes give a box of handmade cards for all different occasions!

One year I made my sister-in-laws a book listing all the relatives birthdays with pockets and cards in them. Used a medium sized scrap book and made pages for each month listing the person's birthday.

Now if only I could get one of them to try opening the book sometimes, she's forgetful even thought she says the book is right on her desk!! LOL!
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by annsforte3View Post
I bake cheesecakes for all of my brothers and nieces! Makes a great gift for them to use with their company!
Hi Auntie Ann! When can I expect my cheesecake? LOL
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,909 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Quote:

I sometimes give a box of handmade cards for all different occasions!

One year I made my sister-in-laws a book listing all the relatives birthdays with pockets and cards in them. Used a medium sized scrap book and made pages for each month listing the person's birthday.

Now if only I could get one of them to try opening the book sometimes, she's forgetful even thought she says the book is right on her desk!! LOL!

I have a very nice book that StampinT made me years back...it words great for the first 4-5 months of the year...then I get sidetraced once spring arrives and the rest of the months go unused... :rolleyes:
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Coordinator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 171 Likes on 130 Posts

Holidays in hubby's huge family has been focused on gifts only for the little kids and homemade gifties and time spent together with everyone else!!

I LOVE baking for gifts!! Last year I made some cute hot cocoa gifts with jars made to look like snowmen!!!

OMG I LOVE HOLIDAYS!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

And....I'll be ready with smilies for the prize thread!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm loving the discussion about the holidays. I'm not religious, so the holidays are a bit different for me. I love the traditions and the meaning, but now it is way too commercialized. Add in that we found out our son had a terminal illness a few days after Christmas back in 2008 and it is just not my favorite time of the year. I am trying something different this year and doing a kindness elf with my daughter so that we spend the month of December doing for others and I hope that helps. I want to some bundles of cards as gifts and maybe some homemade cookies. Who doesn't love pretty cards and yummy cookies?
Watercolor Wizard

I haven't bought Christmas gifts (for the most part - I have one girlfriend and her daughter I give handmade card to with a little something else) in years! I just got sick and tired of the "gimmee, gimmee, gimmee". We couldn't afford gifts like the other parents/grandparents could and I always felt the kids/grandkids felt we were cheap. We just didn't have a ton of money and didn't want to go in debt to make them happy. I now give nothing to them at all but also expect not to get anything (and I'm not dissapointed - we got nothing or next to nothing from our adult kids and older grandkids even when we were giving). I do feel it's become a "gimmee" holiday and the true meaning has been distorted.

I forgot to mention we do make up goodie tins for our close friends and neighbors - things like fudge, cookies, soda cracker candy, etc.

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

Oh my, I would LOVE to receive homemade goodies! No one I know does that, though :(.

I have begun bringing up the idea of no gifts the past two years. My parents are well-off, my brother and his family are not hurting by far, and neither are we. It seems silly to waste time and money purchasing gifts for people that have everything! I love just BEING with them, sharing a meal and fun times. Now that my brother has three very little kids, we have agreed gifts for the children only. Yay! I love buying for the kids . My parents have even said, "You do not need to buy is gifts!"

The irony is that the minute I STOP looking for gifts is the minute I begin stumbling across the perfect little thing! I kept finding little practical things I knew my mom would like so I decided to buy them as I found them and made a Christmas stocking for her. I am having fun with it. And I found a great Italian place for my dad to try (he LOVES eating out, so I keep my eyes peeled when I read the daily paper).

I guess gifts are nice when serendipitously found, but NOT when bought under force of a perceived societal obligation.

Wait! I just remembered my aunt makes me buckeyes every Christmas! I LOVE those things and that is the only time I eat them. My aunt's are the BEST! So I do get homemade gifts!
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by muzbysmomView Post
soda cracker candy, etc.
Care to share the recipe you use? I've never heard of this but would like to try a new recipe this year!

I stopped gifting at Christmas because of one of my OWN children...yep...at 8 years old she was most unhappy that she did NOT get an American Girl doll from us...at that point I realized she was not only spoiled but she was spoiled ROTTEN...

One of my brothers was going into debt to buy my kids presents and his own kids too...we wouldn't spend major money on gifts to give our own children and I wasn't going to do it for anyone else's kids either...my family didn't like me for about 8 years...

Now they all speak to me again and we will get together just for games and snacks at some point in December...and other times like last Friday night!

We are a gift giving family but we don't do it around holidays...just throughout the year when we want to gift someone...and it is usually a non-consumable item or items!

All in the clear envies ready to go!! Now I need a box! I'm guessing flat rate is the best way?
Stazon Splitcoast

Flat rate is best when things weigh a lot; I'm guessing priority mail would be less, but maybe you could weigh them and see?

With 6 kids we used to have QUITE the time getting presents sorted out. One year when the kids were little we called a halt and re-thought our strategy. We have always given our kids 3 gifts: a bag of books, a bag of clothes and one larger gift. However, we were also having our kids buys gifts for each other (which really meant we were buying that many more gifts) and they were also receiving gifts from extended family. It was TOO MANY GIFTS! They couldn't even enjoy them....and opening and cleaning up was a chore (not to mention wrapping and paying for it all!) From that point on, we've had the kids chose names and they only give one gift to one other kids. They also group together and give one gift to me and one to my DH (although now my older kids have sort of broken away and are doing their own to us too). At their birthdays, we have each kid give a gift so they can each still have an opportunity to give a gift to each sibling. It has taken a lot of the pressure off. We also, as an extended family, have backed off too. My sister has 3 kids my older kids' ages and my brother has 3 my younger kids' ages so they each just give a gift to "their" cousin.
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Received 375 Likes on 292 Posts

I made a deal with two of my sisters, that we'd each buy for ourselves whatever we wanted and/or needed, and say it was from the other. One year I purchased leather gloves for myself. I thanked Mary Gene for the left glove on Christmas, and the right glove on my birthday, which is soon after. She said "You're welcome."

Well, now both sisters have passed on. I still get presents for myself and say that the presents are from them. And, I thank them. Christmas memorials.

Gifts, when they're carefully thought out and personal, are so precious. Not for the gift, but for the giving.

A lot of the rest of the Christmas commercializing is just landfill. imo

Better, time together and worship. And service.
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tessaduckView Post
I made a deal with two of my sisters, that we'd each buy for ourselves whatever we wanted and/or needed, and say it was from the other. One year I purchased leather gloves for myself. I thanked Mary Gene for the left glove on Christmas, and the right glove on my birthday, which is soon after. She said "You're welcome."

Well, now both sisters have passed on. I still get presents for myself and say that the presents are from them. And, I thank them. Christmas memorials.

Gifts, when they're carefully thought out and personal, are so precious. Not for the gift, but for the giving.

Brenda, what a great way to honor your sisters each year.

Bad day here. My daughter started going to a 2 day a week Mother's Day Out program and it has not been an easy adjustment for her. She seems to get bad reports almost every time. Today she got frustrated and pulled her pants down in the classroom in front of everyone. She's so strong willed and I'm feeling like a huge failure lately. Nobody tells you how hard it can be to parent a child like her.

My cards are only going about 30 minutes away so I'll ask the postal lady what she thinks. Too bad I can't drive them there and sneak a peek at the baskets!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tessaduckView Post

That's a beautiful tradition and perfect way to remember your sisters.
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 661 Likes on 415 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyann22View Post
Bad day here. My daughter started going to a 2 day a week Mother's Day Out program and it has not been an easy adjustment for her. She seems to get bad reports almost every time. Today she got frustrated and pulled her pants down in the classroom in front of everyone. She's so strong willed and I'm feeling like a huge failure lately. Nobody tells you how hard it can be to parent a child like her.

My cards are only going about 30 minutes away so I'll ask the postal lady what she thinks. Too bad I can't drive them there and sneak a peek at the baskets!
((( HUGS )))

(can you remind me how old your daughter is?)
and actually I don't know anyone who thinks it's "easy" being a parent no matter what kind of temperament their kids end up having.
but, its very possible that some of them here may have some ideas for you.

( I had 1 son and for the most part he has always been pretty good. but, there were stages when I questioned my sanity) I am thinking around 3 ish and then again around 9th grade...
(fortunately I was able to outlast him when I really just wanted to scream) :rolleyes:
ETA he comes by his stubbornness honestly.. ;)

My Blog

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
((( HUGS )))

(can you remind me how old your daughter is?)
and actually I don't know anyone who thinks it's "easy" being a parent no matter what kind of temperament their kids end up having.
but, its very possible that some of them here may have some ideas for you.

( I had 1 son and for the most part he has always been pretty good. but, there were stages when I questioned my sanity) I am thinking around 3 ish and then again around 9th grade...
(fortunately I was able to outlast him when I really just wanted to scream) :rolleyes:
ETA he comes by his stubbornness honestly.. ;)
She's three. She is a super smart little thing, but she has so much attitude! We haven't figured out her currency so discipline is tough. She has recently started telling us no every time we ask her to do something. And she's super easily frustrated and flips out over anything she can't do easily. Love her, but man!! I wish I liked wine about now. lol
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Sure sounds like my 4 year old granddaughter! Smart and sassy lately, really giving my son and his wife a run for their money!!

She started 4 yr old kindergarten this year and oh boy that's when it started.

Children are always testing you, don't give in! Set some boundaries for her! Example: screaming and yelling, results in no tv or that her favorite toy gets taken away.

My son and daughter in law finally found something that worked, she earns tv, her favorite program, Little Einsteins or can't remember the other one, she gets 5 min. at a time for good behavior.

She was horrible, screaming at them, why do I have to do this if Daddy doesn't, or if mommy doesn't. Why do I get a time out when my 2 yr old brother doesn't. My goodness, a challenge, I saw her in action up against her mom. She sure is pushing buttons with them.

Now for me she doesn't try anything because grandma just says no and means no. Will not give an inch and I just walk away from her if she starts anything. Then she stops!
I am a lot tougher and expect more I think, raising 5 sons wasn't easy!

Have faith it will not last forever, if you need to take time out for yourself do it so you stay focused and healthy!
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyann22View Post
All in the clear envies ready to go!! Now I need a box! I'm guessing flat rate is the best way?
Oh my! I love that sewing card. I hope you posted it in your gallery because I'm going there to get a closer look!

Flat rate priority should work out. I shipped 60 cards squeezed into a box I had at home and it cost me $13. I'd have saved a few cents if I'd sent them in a flat rate box--and maybe not have had to squish them in to tight.
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 211 Likes on 108 Posts

Just checking in tonight. I had planned to stamp tonight, but I forgot the Voice Live rounds were on again. I have been watching the recordings whenever I had time but decided to watch live tonight. I don't like it as well cause I can't fast forward through the commercials. And it took the full two hours to watch it.
Everyone talking about Christmas is getting me in the mood to bake. That is waht I do for all our neighbors. I have three friends that we buy each other a small gift or make something for each other. We get together and have lunch or breakfast somewhere and then we open our little gifts. Even that is getting harder to do so I am thinking aobut suggesting that we skip the gifts and just do the lunch! We do each others birthdays already so the one gift a year will be enough, I think.
We have started a couple of years ago just sending money to our daughters and their families to do whatever they want with. The postage was costing more than the gift sometimes so it just didn't seem worth trying to send gifts anymore and the one daughter is too far away to take the gifts to them. It has made for a lot less stress!
I need to get some more Christmas Cards made, too. I did really well for about 6 months this year and then sort of fell apart on getting each month done. Maybe I'll make a few each week of Nov to get caught up. It's almost time to get them mailed out.
Die Cut Diva

I have so enjoyed reading about others simplifying Christmas.

Many years ago, when I was a married homeschool mom struggling to stay on top of finances (some things never change) I asked my mother-in-law about drawing names to make things easier. I was quickly put in my place with, "No way. In our family everybody buys for everyone." I resented every Christmas Eve gathering we had after that.

My side has been buying for only the "kids" for years. But now our kids are grown and most have significant others and a few of those significant others have their own children. So it's become a little overwhelming again. I was relieved when my sister agreed that we'd not be buying across our families. Actually, I think she was relieved that I suggested it. I think I'll talk to my boys and suggest we not do any exchanges at all. My guess is that they'll be all for it.

My now 13-year-old daughter was like that when she was a toddler.....stuffing raisins into her newborn sister's mouth, running out into the street while I was getting her older and younger sisters out of the car, throwing things around when she got frustrated or mad, running away when told to come, telling us no....she was strong-willed! Many times I called my mom or grandmother crying out of frustration. They told me to remember I AM THE MOM and that God placed me in authority over her to love and protect her, to remain calm but firm, be consistent in administering discpline, and mean what I said.

That was super advice because I now have a teenager with zero attitude, who is easy-going and pleasant, who I can say no to with no explanation other than "Because I said so" and not have a fight with, and who can handle life's frustrations better. She is still high-energy but she's channeled it into cross-country running and in being a comedienne! She does get mad about some of our decisions but she does not backtalk us, act out, or lie. This has caused us to give her more freedom as we see her gaining maturity, which further motivates her in the right direction.

So stay the course! It gets SO much better. I enjoy my teenage girls now. My mom and grandma's advice was so great, and I am blessed they are still here to impart their wisdom to me!
Proud Fan Club Member

This is hiliarious to me, I could hear my mother saying this if I had been a child in the 2000's...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxT5NwQUtVM
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramommaView Post
Care to share the recipe you use? I've never heard of this but would like to try a new recipe this year!

I stopped gifting at Christmas because of one of my OWN children...yep...at 8 years old she was most unhappy that she did NOT get an American Girl doll from us...at that point I realized she was not only spoiled but she was spoiled ROTTEN...

One of my brothers was going into debt to buy my kids presents and his own kids too...we wouldn't spend major money on gifts to give our own children and I wasn't going to do it for anyone else's kids either...my family didn't like me for about 8 years...

Now they all speak to me again and we will get together just for games and snacks at some point in December...and other times like last Friday night!

We are a gift giving family but we don't do it around holidays...just throughout the year when we want to gift someone...and it is usually a non-consumable item or items!
Faye I'll look up the recipe and PM you with it - probably tomorrow. I go to work in a bit and won't have time today.....
Die Cut Diva

Raising children--and especially raising them well--is hard work. There have been many times when I've seen a child act out and I think, "Poor kid didn't have a chance, after all look at how his parents behave." (Sadly, this trend seems to be growing in my area, especially among those parents whose vocabulary includes The "F" Word while grocery shopping with their kids.)

But I've also seen my share of, "That poor mom. She's got her hands full." I was one of these moms with my oldest. For many, many years the word of the day was "No." Me saying "no" when he did something he was not supposed to do, and him saying "no" when he refused to do something he should do. Today, he's still a bit of a rebel and plays by his own rules. But he's grown into a responsible, loving, hard-working man.

In short, what I'm trying to say is this:
A mother should do all she can to love her children and teach them how to be kind, safe and respectful. But for her own sanity, she needs to remember that children are individuals, born with different personalities. And like clay and Jell-O, some are harder to mold than others.

Kramomma -- Big LOL at your link. I absolutely love it and plan to share it on my Facebook page.
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
Raising children--and especially raising them well--is hard work. There have been many times when I've seen a child act out and I think, "Poor kid didn't have a chance, after all look at how his parents behave."
I still remember a time when my kids were little and we were at a fast food play area with a slide. This kid was going down the slide and his/her mom said, "Last time then we're going" and as soon as the kid's feet hit the ground they ran right back up the slide and the mom said the same thing. Went on and on and on. One of my kids looked at me and said, "I don't think that lady knows what last time means."

Parenting is HARD and often frustrating. I am no paragon and consistency has always been a battle for me, but I know that it is key. If my kids know that I mean what I see then half the battle has been won. If on the other hand I cave after a whiny fit on their part, then I've trained them that there's a chance that I'll give in if they only complain the right way. It also helps to remember that before you say no in the first place. ;) I had an epic 1 1/2 hour long public battle with a toddler once after I drew a line in the sand that I was then forced to defend. Choose your battles wisely for sure.
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I had every intention of going to the post office today to mail off my box of cards. I then remembered (after my mail was very late) that DUH.......it was Veteran's Day today and hence to mail. So I will do it tomorrow. Prayers and heartfelt thank you to each and every veteran for keeping us safe and our country free.
Mary ~~ QFTD #152, FS#514CC Guest Design Team 2012, 2013, 2017 & 2022 2014 CAS Spring Design Team Member SC Guest Design Team 2015 & 2022 SU Consultant "Life's greatest adventure is finding your place in the Circle of Life" - Lion King
Hardware Hotshot

Received 208 Likes on 67 Posts

Quote:

Can I be an adopted family member?;)

My Gallery
Hardware Hotshot

Received 208 Likes on 67 Posts

We are changing Christmas a bit this year too. My hubby and I celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary this year and my son was married in September. My family has booked an all inclusive vacation together and my sister and her husband (who were unable to make the wedding) will be joining us. No exchange of presents, just time together and someone else to make the meals and the beds!

My Gallery
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by muzbysmomView Post
Faye I'll look up the recipe and PM you with it - probably tomorrow. I go to work in a bit and won't have time today.....
Thanks...I'll look for it...
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnetteMacView Post
Can I be an adopted family member?;)
Are you going to come down to Wisconsin?