Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-11-2015, 08:47 AM   #1441  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramommaForums at Splitcoaststampers
Care to share the recipe you use? I've never heard of this but would like to try a new recipe this year!

I stopped gifting at Christmas because of one of my OWN children...yep...at 8 years old she was most unhappy that she did NOT get an American Girl doll from us...at that point I realized she was not only spoiled but she was spoiled ROTTEN...

One of my brothers was going into debt to buy my kids presents and his own kids too...we wouldn't spend major money on gifts to give our own children and I wasn't going to do it for anyone else's kids either...my family didn't like me for about 8 years...

Now they all speak to me again and we will get together just for games and snacks at some point in December...and other times like last Friday night!

We are a gift giving family but we don't do it around holidays...just throughout the year when we want to gift someone...and it is usually a non-consumable item or items!
Faye I'll look up the recipe and PM you with it - probably tomorrow. I go to work in a bit and won't have time today.....
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2015, 09:41 AM   #1442  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.

Raising children--and especially raising them well--is hard work. There have been many times when I've seen a child act out and I think, "Poor kid didn't have a chance, after all look at how his parents behave." (Sadly, this trend seems to be growing in my area, especially among those parents whose vocabulary includes The "F" Word while grocery shopping with their kids.)

But I've also seen my share of, "That poor mom. She's got her hands full." I was one of these moms with my oldest. For many, many years the word of the day was "No." Me saying "no" when he did something he was not supposed to do, and him saying "no" when he refused to do something he should do. Today, he's still a bit of a rebel and plays by his own rules. But he's grown into a responsible, loving, hard-working man.

In short, what I'm trying to say is this:
A mother should do all she can to love her children and teach them how to be kind, safe and respectful. But for her own sanity, she needs to remember that children are individuals, born with different personalities. And like clay and Jell-O, some are harder to mold than others.

Kramomma -- Big LOL at your link. I absolutely love it and plan to share it on my Facebook page.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2015, 09:56 AM   #1443  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Raising children--and especially raising them well--is hard work. There have been many times when I've seen a child act out and I think, "Poor kid didn't have a chance, after all look at how his parents behave."
I still remember a time when my kids were little and we were at a fast food play area with a slide. This kid was going down the slide and his/her mom said, "Last time then we're going" and as soon as the kid's feet hit the ground they ran right back up the slide and the mom said the same thing. Went on and on and on. One of my kids looked at me and said, "I don't think that lady knows what last time means."

Parenting is HARD and often frustrating. I am no paragon and consistency has always been a battle for me, but I know that it is key. If my kids know that I mean what I see then half the battle has been won. If on the other hand I cave after a whiny fit on their part, then I've trained them that there's a chance that I'll give in if they only complain the right way. It also helps to remember that before you say no in the first place. I had an epic 1 1/2 hour long public battle with a toddler once after I drew a line in the sand that I was then forced to defend. Choose your battles wisely for sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2015, 10:40 AM   #1444  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had every intention of going to the post office today to mail off my box of cards. I then remembered (after my mail was very late) that DUH.......it was Veteran's Day today and hence to mail. So I will do it tomorrow. Prayers and heartfelt thank you to each and every veteran for keeping us safe and our country free.
Mary ~~ QFTD #152, FS#514
CC Guest Design Team Member for October 2012 & August 2013 & August 2017 2014 CAS Spring Design Team Member SC Guest Design Team 2015 SU Consultant "Life's greatest adventure is finding your place in the Circle of Life" - Lion King
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2015, 10:43 AM   #1445  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by annsforte3Forums at Splitcoaststampers
I bake cheesecakes for all of my brothers and nieces! Makes a great gift for them to use with their company!
Can I be an adopted family member?

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2015, 10:55 AM   #1446  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts

We are changing Christmas a bit this year too. My hubby and I celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary this year and my son was married in September. My family has booked an all inclusive vacation together and my sister and her husband (who were unable to make the wedding) will be joining us. No exchange of presents, just time together and someone else to make the meals and the beds!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2015, 11:37 AM   #1447  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by muzbysmomForums at Splitcoaststampers
Faye I'll look up the recipe and PM you with it - probably tomorrow. I go to work in a bit and won't have time today.....
Thanks...I'll look for it...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #1448  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 657 Likes on 324 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnetteMacForums at Splitcoaststampers
Can I be an adopted family member?
Are you going to come down to Wisconsin?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2015, 03:15 AM   #1449  
Proud Fan Club Member

For those inquiring minds that want to know...

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2015, 05:06 AM   #1450  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 101 Likes on 69 Posts

Hullo! What is everyone going to do today? I have laundry, tidying and a card to create. (not necessarily in that order) Have you seen this week's fun sketch challenge? Sabrina brings us a great challenge for "Today's Ways to Use it". I am about to browse my stamps to see if I have one that fits today's challenge but if not I am going to use the sketch or maybe both!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2015, 05:40 AM   #1451  
Glitter Guru

I finally got scraps sorted out last night....this was all from my desk and cutting area and doesn't include larger pieces that are card base or top layer size! Now to get it out of my family room and back down into drawers. What do you guys do with scraps? I tend to put them back into my storage drawers (I have drawers for all the current SU colors 2per drawer, another set of drawers for dp and retired colors in various storage solutions), but I've toyed with keeping an accordion file with small pieces.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2015, 05:53 AM   #1452  
Proud Fan Club Member

Scraps...I have a 2-drawer legal size file cabinet which the top drawer holds GKD cardstock and the lower drawer holds SU cardstock (those are the only 2 brands I have ever purchased.)

The file is rainbow order with nuetrals in the front of the file...then Roy G Biv (so glad when I was about 50 I learned how to remember the rainbow order!).

Each color has its own file, scraps in front of the full sheets. Anyone that uses my cardstock knows...YOU PUT YOUR OWN SCRAPS AWAY...even 10-year olds can do this...and they learn to use the smallest pieces first rather than pulling out a large piece.

I've been using this system for about 5 years and am happy. I do have to get up and walk over to the file because it doesn't fit underneath my work table but I have to get up to use the Cuttlebugs also...everything else is behind me on shelves and I just turn around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2015, 05:55 AM   #1453  
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Gail, I have my smaller scraps in a big accordion file. It works pretty well. My big problem is actually putting the scraps away at all.

Laugh Hard. Run Fast. Be Kind
- Twelve
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2015, 06:01 AM   #1454  
Glitter Guru

True confessions: sometimes I pay my DD to put away my scraps!
I think sometime that the accordion file would work better, but them I'm afraid I'd have them put away, but would I ever use them?

How do you go about using the smaller pieces?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2015, 06:23 AM   #1455  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 225 Likes on 124 Posts

So, these are old pictures but, they give you the idea... I stamp sentiments and tiny things on scraps. and cut them out every so often. when I stamp them and let them sit to dry sometimes I stamp more than I have time to cut, so on the table is an old SU stamp box and I just put them in there. ( sometimes its so full the lid does not close so I spend an hour or two cutting them)
not in these pictures ( and I am not sure I ever got them into the gallery) there are lots of pictures of my corner of the room on the blog on wednesdays under the heading WOYWW .. but the pieces get sorted by color and put into an old bread basket and an old bread pan and those are on top of the file cabinets one is printed papers and the other is cardstocks. ( those tiny little strips) the larger pieces are in hanging file folders in the file cabinet closets to the window.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3birdseyeview JBgreendawnsm.jpg (49.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 7deskrightafter JBgreendawn.jpg (44.3 KB, 20 views)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2015, 07:23 AM   #1456  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Anyone that uses my cardstock knows...YOU PUT YOUR OWN SCRAPS AWAY...even 10-year olds can do this...and they learn to use the smallest pieces first rather than pulling out a large piece.
I appreciate your discipline. My issue is of my own doing for sure. I often cut several pieces before settling on my layout, etc. and the "leftovers" end up on my desk instead of immediately getting put away.
I often have to leave my desk to run someone to practice, etc and then don't get right back to it. Excuses, excuses I know.

I do well with things that have a place (punches, inks, stamp sets) but the things that I don't have a good system for such as sentiment pieces or punched items, tend to accumulate untidily.

Last edited by mamaxsix; 11-12-2015 at 07:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2015, 07:43 AM   #1457  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I keep a butt wipe container, from Huggies wipes on my desk with dividers in for all the general colors. So as I am working I just slip the piece of cs into the little file.

It works wonders and then it is right there for me to use as I am working!!

I have on just for Christmas paper too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2015, 09:25 AM   #1458  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 134 Likes on 46 Posts

I have paper holders from Stamp-N-Storage and each slot/color has a page protector on top of the stack of paper in that slot. I keep all scraps of that color in the page protector. It is the first thing I look through when making stuff. I use them ALL the time, for punches, masks, tiny sentiments, practice tries, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2015, 09:38 AM   #1459  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts

Gail, I'm such a stickler for keeping my work space neat and clean! Whenever I finish creating a card, I always put everything back where it came from. My scraps go in the front of the file folder with the full sized pieces behind them. I have used scraps to punch out tiny flowers or the bird's wing to the Bird Punch from SU. Anything that is small like one word sentiments. I don't waste anything!!! My DH said I amaze him with what I can do with small pieces of cs, ribbon, you name it~ Hope this helps.

�Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.�
― Lou Holtz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2015, 09:46 AM   #1460  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have also hoarded all the little tiny scraps but I no longer do. I have little. Everything Designpaper what is smaller than 3x3 goes into the trash. Also small scraps from CS.
My experience is that I usually no longer use it. So I can manage very well. Take courage and throw something away from time to time. That freed and creates space for new things
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2015, 10:29 AM   #1461  
Die Cut Diva

Oh, I wish that I could be more like Roberta and clean up after each and every card. Instead, I let things pile up until I feel overwhelmed. There is an easy fix, but it takes discipline that I've not yet developed--but am working on! (I have a post in the mission organization forum about odd items. If anyone has tips, I'd love to read them.)

As for scraps, I've got a system that I like. First off, all my cardstock and non-theme DSP are sorted in ROYGBIV color order. My scraps, too. All my scraps go into giant 13"x13" baggies that are stored in two homemade magazine holders. If I need blue, I just pluck out the baggie with a tag on top that says "blue" and dig through it. I usually find what I'm looking for.

Except for large print or ugly paper, I keep all pieces as small as 3"x3" or 2"x12" (the latter being good for a scrapbook page). When it comes to white, I keep scraps as small as 2" square (big enough to punch out a sentiment).

My problem is actually putting away my scraps. I think I'm going to have to hire Gail's daughter!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2015, 12:05 PM   #1462  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

I usually clean up after a day of crafting. So if I only make one card then I clean up and the work space is ready for the next craft day/night. I keep all my scraps no matter the size unless it is too small to punch out with my tiny punches.

Each color is in a zip lock bag and I always go to the bag first when I need to start a card to see what scraps I have then I see if the card I am doing could use any scraps. Today's card the black on the BG was a piece of scrap.

Since my little guy is of age to need a computer for school work he uses my craft computer to do school work. While he is using my computer I punch out small pieces of paper and get rid of the pieces that are too small to punch down. I have a nuts and bolts drawer with all the punched pieces.

White is my biggest pile to always punch down as almost all my flowers start as white paper. I punch out tons of leaves, tiny flowers and music notes. Once the paper is all punched out and I can't use it to punch out any more then it goes to the trash. If the paper is large enough to die cut out pieces then I put it back in the bag and when I need to die cut something or need a sentiment I go to the scraps bags first.

I also challenge myself to do scrappy cards. In fact the last couple days of HYCCT I did several scrappy cards including die cutting the word smile out of a rainbow of colors that I had glued together. My husband calls me the queen of scrappy cards. My mom taught me how to use scraps (she does it with fabric) and create beautiful stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2015, 12:17 PM   #1463  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Lisa, I am like you in keeping scraps of every size. My problem is I don't always think to look in the scrap bag first! Half the time I think of the bag after I have cut a new sheet of paper for a 1/2 inch circle or something equally small! I need to make more cards starting with the scrap bags and use up some of them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2015, 12:18 PM   #1464  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

And, oh, yes, I need to clean up my desk right now! It is in sort of piles from the last two or three days of ignoring it! But I haven't had time to make anything until today! So I guess I'll clean up tonight!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2015, 12:30 PM   #1465  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

One year to get rid of all my scraps, I made nothing but tags for every occasion and then donated to my DH pancake/bake sale and craft sale for his service club!! It worked and was a lot of fun seeing what I could make!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2015, 12:38 PM   #1466  
Glitter Guru

I think I really like the idea of putting a bag into my drawers that I could grab and search through....the only drawback there would be having to take more time when putting scraps into the drawers but if it got me to use the scraps more it would be worth it!
I FINALLY got my cards bagged up and ready to mail....so behind my desired schedule, but I'm up to 100 cards to send off. I threw together some more cards as I cleaned and also had some in my stash to add.

It has been a very emotional year for me with my mom's passing from breast cancer in September just as HYCCT was gearing up. As hard as it has been at times, it has also been very healing for me to think of the patients and their families being blessed by the cards. My mom was my biggest supporter and customer for my cards and she loved my participation in this card drive over the past years. OK....off to find some Kleenex.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2015, 12:42 PM   #1467  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

My paper craft scraps are nicely sorted and stowed. Fabric, however-- not so much. I was "gifted" with a carton of smelly scraps from someone's grandmother's shed. Sort. Landfill the tiny scraps and fabrics that won't work for quilts. Launder. Now I'm cutting the rest into 2 1/2" strips for a scrappy quilt.

I needed to step away from paper for a while, after hycct. Fabric therapy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2015, 12:52 PM   #1468  
Proud Fan Club Member

Spent 90 minutes with 10-year old Hannah...techinques only day! She likes the masking tape technique and enjoyed the neon colors...we also did the salt technique and got rather messy

She made 5 cards...

The sentiment she used on three of them...

...Its a good day to have a good day! She likes that sentiment...she is always a happy girl to have visit...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2015, 12:53 PM   #1469  

Stacy, I love your idea of stamping on the scraps! For some reason I really don't like stamping the sentiment when it comes time to finish my card. Having prestamped sentiments would eliminate some scraps and give me sentiments already made! Cool idea.

Yay, Gail! Good going. I still have to box mine AND my sister's package from when she had surgery WEEKS ago. Goodness, the whole packaging thing (and I don't mean just for HYCCT, I mean for every outgoing parcel)has become a HUGE issue for me. I am planning on doing it tonight so that I can drop them off tomorrow after proving to High School that we still live here. Sigh. Anyone else have to prove your residency EVERY year?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2015, 12:54 PM   #1470  

Awww! Faye, that's so sweet!! The masking tape technique is a fun one and that sentiment is terrific.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2015, 04:59 PM   #1471  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts

I will mess the start of the party. Since stat Monday will be in Tulsa Ok!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2015, 03:27 AM   #1472  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotwheelsForums at Splitcoaststampers
I will mess the start of the party. Since stat Monday will be in Tulsa Ok!
Thankfully you don't have to be present to win...lots of the ladies work and won't be at the start either but you can read when you get back and enjoy the parts of visiting when you can.

My daughter's wedding is the 28th...not so sure how much I will be able to post during the days but I'm sure I'll find time to read even if its while sitting in the bathroom!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2015, 04:19 AM   #1473  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 326 Likes on 144 Posts

I sent off 75 cards yesterday. I love that feeling!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2015, 05:25 AM   #1474  
Hardware Hotshot

I finally have my box of cards ready to mail....... Running to the post office this morning.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2015, 07:36 AM   #1475  
Hardware Hotshot

The post office let me do media mail for my cards - I hope that doesn't become an issue. I did get a tracking number so I'll watch it close.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2015, 10:07 AM   #1476  
Rubber Obsessor

How's everyone doing today? I went yesterday and had my Prevnar 13 shot and I have felt wiped out. I hope I can get something crafty done today.

My desk is still a mess, actually my whole scrap room is! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2015, 10:33 AM   #1477  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Thankfully you don't have to be present to win...lots of the ladies work and won't be at the start either but you can read when you get back and enjoy the parts of visiting when you can.

My daughter's wedding is the 28th...not so sure how much I will be able to post during the days but I'm sure I'll find time to read even if its while sitting in the bathroom!
That's what I thought, too. But it looks like things have changed this year. Instead of the random drawings from those who participated in the challenge, it looks like winners will be randomly chosen from those who participate in a trivia question thread. Someone please correct me if I've read that wrong.

I would hate to see someone miss out on a chance to win something--especially after all their hard work making and sending cards--just because they can't access a computer for a couple of days. Do either of you have a laptop, tablet or cell phone that you can take along that would allow you to do a quick post on this site?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2015, 11:03 AM   #1478  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

That's what I thought, too. But it looks like things have changed this year. Instead of the random drawings from those who participated in the challenge, it looks like winners will be randomly chosen from those who participate in a trivia question thread. Someone please correct me if I've read that wrong.

I would hate to see someone miss out on a chance to win something--especially after all their hard work making and sending cards--just because they can't access a computer for a couple of days. Do either of you have a laptop, tablet or cell phone that you can take along that would allow you to do a quick post on this site?
I think you read it right, just may have misinterpreted it as doing something different. Those who participate in the trivia question thread help to choose the random numbers used in the random drawings of all those who participated in the challenge. So the winning numbers (winners) are randomly chosen from those participating in the trivia question thread but the winning numbers tie back to everyone participating in the challenges not to the trivia question participants. They just help in the process, like a human machine (team) kicking out balls with random numbers. Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2015, 11:25 AM   #1479  
Proud Fan Club Member

I don't think anything is different than last year...and you don't have to be present to win...you look at the first post and it will tell who the winners are for each prize.

There is guessing and fun times by being present but the person who guesses is not the person that wins...(at least I don't think it has ever happened that the guesser was also the winner but it could happen!)

I will miss the fun of being present but it is also fun to read after the fact and laugh at the conversations that took place...and be happy for others...it is really a good time, fun time as my daughter used to always say!

My good time, fun time will be in real life time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2015, 02:31 PM   #1480  
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Quote:

Patiak is right, the only thing the trivia questions do is provide the numbers instead of using random.org. You do NOT have to be present to win and the winners ARE chosen at random. We just have a lot more fun getting our random numbers than your average giveaway. Hope that helps!

Laugh Hard. Run Fast. Be Kind
- Twelve
Reply With Quote Likes