Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Announcements (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/announcements-13/)
-   -   Flood Relief Not-a-Raffle Questions/Answers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/announcements-13/flood-relief-not-raffle-questions-answers-366382/)

InkStazOnMe 07-26-2008 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamijo (Post 10684346)
I just got home after running some errands and saw this message. I called him and he said that yes, this would be a tremendous help. He told me that between 80-100 homes (maybe more) have been deemed uninhabitable and they (the church) are working with some local organizations to set up a "store" where they can come in and buy clothes/items that are needed. They are a very proud area and for a lot of them that is the only way they will accept things from others- to feel as if they are giving back. If anyone has any questions they can pm me.

ETA- I should add that it's not a big town and it's just one small town in Owen County and this is all of Owen County that this will be for. 80-100 is a high number for this area.

Hmmm...How about kids clothes?

cambystamper 07-26-2008 12:40 PM

Thanks to all who have organized this. I have seen some of the damage in Central Indiana and the need is great. My Sister's church lost everything in the school there. They had 9ft of water. Came to find the link to donate. Again, Thanks!

knightrone 07-26-2008 02:34 PM

I just made my donation!!! I hope I don't win back my donated prize though, LOL!!! That would be funny!! Do we get an update on the progress of the raffle?

jbalcer 07-27-2008 06:37 AM

I know last time I asked it was around $5,000, but that was through Thursday. I'll see if I can get Daven to post an up-to-date total today. :D

We've had more people contact us wanting to donate to the cause, and I've added more images to the gallery. Everyone's so generous, and it feels really good to be a part of this. Thanks, peggysue, for all of your efforts on organizing this, and to everyone who's opened their hearts (and wallets, too!) for this cause.

knightrone 07-27-2008 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbalcer (Post 10691357)
I know last time I asked it was around $5,000, but that was through Thursday. I'll see if I can get Daven to post an up-to-date total today. :D

We've had more people contact us wanting to donate to the cause, and I've added more images to the gallery. Everyone's so generous, and it feels really good to be a part of this. Thanks, peggysue, for all of your efforts on organizing this, and to everyone who's opened their hearts (and wallets, too!) for this cause.

That is fantastic Jenn!! Thanks!!:D

peggysue 07-27-2008 07:51 AM

Wow, that's great! And its really Jenn who is doing all the work. :) And the generous folks donating and buying non-raffle tickets! :)

tamijo 07-27-2008 10:16 AM

YEAH! I'm so honored to be a part of a community that reaches out to others!

airbornewife 07-27-2008 07:42 PM

[quote=knightrone;10686005] I hope I don't win back my donated prize though, LOL!!! That would be funny!! D [quote]

Too funny you mentioned that.. my hubby was gone when I had send the email/picture to Jenn about the stamp sets I was donating.. when he got home I showed him and he laughed and said.. "maybe you'll win your donation!" how funny ~ thanks again for all that donated in one way or another.

Pam

06-07mom 07-28-2008 04:52 AM

thanks

as somebody that was greatly affected by the floods here in iowa (i live in cedar rapids) i think this is so nice. we got so much help from the red cross. they helped people in more ways then i ever thought.

thanks for thinking of us midwesterners

melody-o 07-28-2008 07:27 AM

Donations to midwest

I'm a total newbie here and having a bit of a challenge navigating the site. I'm not sure I have the hang of replying. I'm not even not sure if this is the right place to post this, but if not, please let me know. The flood relief non-raffle sounds like SUPER IDEA. Thanks so much for all you are doing, including encouraging donations the the Red Cross, etc.

In the past on another stamping forum I used to belong to, when there was a disaster like a flood, tornado, or fire that effected people we knew from the forum (or people that they knew) where they lost all their belongings including beloved stamps and crafting supplies, we all got together and sent them used stamps and extra supplies from our stamping stash to help lift their spirits AFTER they found places to live and began to piece their lives back together. Usually the contact person was someone from the affected area who worked in some sort of business (still intact) that let them use their business address as a collection location for both drop offs and mail ins. Does anybody have any ideas of whether this might work here?

Thanks,
Anita

peggysue 07-28-2008 01:49 PM

Hi Anita, sorry I didn't see your question earlier.

That idea of yours has been done on this site in the past and it is a great idea. Usually a friend of someone who has been affected by a tragedy like a tornado or fire will start a thread to collect items to send them, as you suggested, ink, paper, stamps, etc., once they are settled in a new place.

The people on this site are very generous. :)

melody-o 07-28-2008 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peggysue (Post 10706970)
Hi Anita, sorry I didn't see your question earlier.

That idea of yours has been done on this site in the past and it is a great idea. Usually a friend of someone who has been affected by a tragedy like a tornado or fire will start a thread to collect items to send them, as you suggested, ink, paper, stamps, etc., once they are settled in a new place.

The people on this site are very generous. :)

Thank PeggySue, It DOES seem like the folks here are amazing and generous. I'm still trying to find my way around the site. Where would I look so I would know if someone DOES start a thread to collect things for stampers who have lost all in the floods once they get settled (like what category/forum etc?)

Thanks!
Anita

eliotstamps 07-28-2008 07:13 PM

Hey Jenn - any new update on the total raised so far?

jbalcer 07-28-2008 07:15 PM

I asked for one last night and haven't heard back. . . I'll ask again!

LaurieR 07-28-2008 07:19 PM

Anita, I would check the Need a Lift forum. I've seen things like that posted there.

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...splay.php?f=63

Here is a link to that forum. SCS is a wonderful place! I'm glad you found it. I have made many wonderful friends and have been truly inspired here!

peggysue 07-28-2008 07:52 PM

That's right, follow Laurie's advice. :)

Yippee, a new total coming soon!:D

rgrohall 07-29-2008 04:52 AM

bumping to the top :-) can't wait to see the new total to date !

MLH1966 07-29-2008 12:28 PM

Great cause, and thanks for putting all this together! My donation is in!

splitcoaststampers 07-29-2008 03:19 PM

okay, sorry for the delay on an update. here's some unofficial numbers.

as of last night ( Monday 7/28 ) we had:

total donations: 399
net donations (after fees): $7,143.69

cuccicoo1002 07-29-2008 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splitcoaststampers (Post 10722238)

YIPPEEE :mrgreen:

C'mon ladies & gents- there's some GREAT prizes (or are they non-prizes ;) ) to be had!!

Shanon 07-29-2008 03:42 PM

That is WONDERFUL!!!!
Daven, are you talking about paypal fee's? Is there any way to bump up the donation to cover said fees? :(
Quote:

peggysue 07-29-2008 03:45 PM

Wow, great news!

Thanks to all who have participated so far. And for those who haven't seen them, they need to check out the yummy non-prizes . . . in the gallery HERE

eliotstamps 07-29-2008 08:18 PM

Quote:

Thanks Daven! That is a great total so far!!!

splitcoaststampers 07-30-2008 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanon (Post 10722500)
That is WONDERFUL!!!!
Daven, are you talking about paypal fee's? Is there any way to bump up the donation to cover said fees? :(

it's been a while, but I think what we did last time was we covered the fees as Splitcoast's donation to the cause. maybe we'll have to hit up NameMedia before this is over as well :^)

TexasGrammy 07-30-2008 01:50 AM

Wow! What a faboo total so far!
Way to go, SCS members!! :D :D :D

KelliJo 07-30-2008 03:48 AM

How absolutely Fabulous to take care of people...My community was affect in December when Lewis County,( Washington) saw the worst floods EVER...My little grocerystore/Post Office Combo had 14 feet of water RUSH through it. people lost their homes, possessions, live stock, etc...There was only 1 death due to flooding....My community is proud too and lemme tell you...you all are doing a GREAT service !!!! Thank You!

bbarton 07-30-2008 06:24 AM

Quote:

WHOO HOO!!! That is awesome!!!

Thanks for the update Daven!!

barbaralynn 07-30-2008 06:38 AM

This is OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I made my donation, twice, and I hope more people continue to come over and help out such a great cause!

Thanks to all of the people for their wonderful raffle items and to all of the SCS individuals for your donations!!!!!! I LOVE being a part of such a generous and caring family!

Barb

LaurieR 07-30-2008 06:45 AM

Good morning Barb & Barb!

This total is fantastic and the non-prizes are great too!

We have a few days left, so I hope the total keeps getting bigger!

peggysue 07-30-2008 07:32 AM

Good morning bump!

tamijo 07-30-2008 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splitcoaststampers (Post 10727134)
it's been a while, but I think what we did last time was we covered the fees as Splitcoast's donation to the cause. maybe we'll have to hit up NameMedia before this is over as well :^)

This made me LOL!!!! Thanks for the laugh!

Yeah for the total!

jhartel 07-30-2008 01:14 PM

How awesome! Thanks for all who have put their time, effort and donations into this worthy cause.

janet***

its_me_susan 07-30-2008 02:38 PM

just bought my unraffles!!!!

How do you know who it was from? lol. I just paid through paypal. So happy to do anything to help you gals do this. So nice of you to organize this.

Susan :)

NancyLuvsMickey 07-31-2008 07:07 AM

Quote:

Loving the total so far... But I know us ladies at SCS can do much better!!! ;)

peggysue 07-31-2008 09:43 AM

You know I'm sure that total is going to go up because it took a few days for my paypal account to process my non-raffle donation, so I'm thinking that will show up later. :)

Thanks to all the generous and big hearted ladies and gentlemen who donated their time, services, gorgeous stamped creations and have donated to the non raffle.

ellepaul 07-31-2008 11:12 AM

I just got mine in! I meant to do it earlier but I forgot. Sorry!!

mm9772 07-31-2008 11:39 AM

Ok - just got my donation in. I think it's just wonderful how so many people are donating prizes and money for the cause. SCS rocks!!

peggysue 07-31-2008 07:35 PM

Happy Thursday evening! :)

LaurieR 08-01-2008 06:04 AM

Good Friday morning!!!

purpleflowers 08-01-2008 10:52 AM

Just wondering about getting another update on the total (if it's not too much of a pain)?