Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-20-2008, 02:13 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking What do I need from Ikea?

I'm going to Ikea this Friday. I've never been since it's 4 hours away and I can't wait! So tell me what you've gotten that I need ;). I don't have much money so I can't go too crazy, but I know this is a trip I won't make often so I really want to get a bunch of good stuff:mrgreen:. I know I need some stuff from the BYGEL series for punches and stuff and I'm considering the EXPEDIT bookcase, but I'm not sure yet. What else do I need?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Eat lunch there! Swedish meatballs - YUM!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #3  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm going to Ikea next weekend. I'm going to buy the Helmer drawer things - my Mom bought one and they are fabulous for punches. I like the rod storage, but can't do it since I'm in an apartment. I might also buy a Benno CD tower. I'm in the process of going unmounted, so it will hopefully be big enough to hold them all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 02:44 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Measure your room or what ever space you are trying to accomodate. Make a list of the items you want to store and how you want to store them......verticle/horizontal. Measure the furniture you already have in the space that you will be using also. I would suggest you make a diagram of your room/space and existing furniture. Write all this down and take it with you. If you need to get something for storage to house particular items, either measure them (height/width/depth) or if small enough, take them with you to be sure they fit in whatever you want to purchase.

What you need will totally be determined by what you have and want to store. No one else can really answer that question. Make your trip worth it. You don't want to have to go back for returns/exchanges. Get everything in this one trip. 4 hours is a long drive, so do some prep work to make your trip productive!

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 02:50 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

HOLY CARP! Your post inspired me to check out their online site. I'll be hitting the Pittsburgh store in July, but I'm impatient and an immediate gratification kind of person. I wanted the BENNO cd tower to store all my unmounted stamp cds... it cost $39.99. So I put it in my cart and filled out all the shipping info and went all the way to the page where you put in your credit card info.... with shipping and taxes it would cost $293.13!!!! No joke!!! I hope you find LOTS of stuff you want while you are there because it's DEFINITELY not worth it to buy online! OUCH!

My Little Blog! Amy's Inky Fingers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 02:58 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I only went to IKEA once and I was really sick and over medicated with a bad cold. I did not enjoy it, bu would love to do it again. I found a fleece throw, which ended being only about $3 on clearance. I keep it in my car for those cold nights and long trips.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 03:12 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't know what kind of space you have but if you need storage on the wall within reach of you, I am getting ready to purchase a metal rod that metal baskets can hook on to. I have a "desk" space in a closet and need to get those items that I use all the time off my work space so I have room to work. I know it is sold in the kitchen area. You can see through the baskets so you know what is inside them. I can look them up and see what they are called if you are interested.
#24 Fan!
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 03:18 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default How Exciting!

Love Ikea!!! You will find so many storage ideas. Go with an open mind and use your imagination...you'll love the great deals!!! Have fun! If you find anything...let us know! Enjoy your shopping day!
;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 03:20 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I. LOVE. IKEA. i have only been there once, but i was like a kid in a candy store!!!!!! you will have SO much fun!!!! i felt like i was in another world!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 03:23 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by amyz2988View Post
HOLY CARP! Your post inspired me to check out their online site. I'll be hitting the Pittsburgh store in July, but I'm impatient and an immediate gratification kind of person. I wanted the BENNO cd tower to store all my unmounted stamp cds... it cost $39.99. So I put it in my cart and filled out all the shipping info and went all the way to the page where you put in your credit card info.... with shipping and taxes it would cost $293.13!!!! No joke!!! I hope you find LOTS of stuff you want while you are there because it's DEFINITELY not worth it to buy online! OUCH!
I looked at the Benno while I was there and decided on the Lerberg. Very easy to put together and looks cute/funky on the wall. I got it in green (well 4 of them...) and $5 each is a great deal! http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70115521
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 03:30 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

:::sigh::: we need an Ikea here in Wisconsin! I've never been but drool over their stuff all the time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 03:33 PM   #12  
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseyandstephyView Post
I looked at the Benno while I was there and decided on the Lerberg. Very easy to put together and looks cute/funky on the wall. I got it in green (well 4 of them...) and $5 each is a great deal! http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70115521
Much cheaper I agree. However, I can't do wall mounted anything because of being in an apartment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 03:37 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I'm still leaning towards the Benno, but thanks for the suggestion. I can fit the Benno inbetween my closet and stamp cabinet that sits on the floor. I don't really want to hang anything more on my walls in my stamp room. It's already pretty full! I'll just have to wait to go there because there is no way I'm paying $250+ on shipping and taxes on a $40 item!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 03:37 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnemoneView Post
Much cheaper I agree. However, I can't do wall mounted anything because of being in an apartment.
I've mounted a variety of things in the apartments I've been in and have those mounted in the duplex I currently live in. I've never had a problem getting my deposit back or anything from mounting...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 03:46 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I've mounted a variety of things in the apartments I've been in and have those mounted in the duplex I currently live in. I've never had a problem getting my deposit back or anything from mounting...
Different apartments have different policies though. The apartment I lived in before I got married was VERY picky. I lost my deposit because I took the blinds down to give them a good wash and let them air dry. They didn't rust or anything, but the water left little "water spots" similar to what my dishwasher does sometimes. Ridiculous, I know! I would be wary to put holes in the walls too, depending on the leasing company.

Sorry for the high-jack! Back to IKEA!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 03:56 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

If you have the space in a closet for it, look at the hanging Skubb storage (think like those hanging sweater holders, but skinnier). I just went to IKEA last week to get my Bygel stuff and picked up the Skubb. They have these neat drawers that slide into it - which I plan to use for my punches, etc.

A little off-topic: A big thank you to whoever posted about the Bygel. I've been installing mine this afternoon and am loving how it looks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 04:15 PM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I got my punch storage rod and a cute little wooden shelf that hold clear jars that I use to store paper flowers, and cardboard magazine folder - they are white and only a $1.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 04:15 PM   #18  
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:

Did you have cement walls with the elevator on the other side? I can't even get a nail into the wall! To put up my window blinds, my Dad came with his heavy duty drill and a special bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 05:54 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

One of everything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 05:55 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Ikea has fun kitchen stuff -- bought a french press for $6 -- and fun little stuff like candles and meatballs.

I'm not so much a fan of furniture in a box -- but I'll take meatballs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 06:19 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Make sure you check the AS IS section by the registers. The usually have great deals. I got the large Expidit for $50(reg. $199 I think) because one of the side panels had a whole about the size of a fist in it. Was no problem for me I just hung my calendar over it. Found lots of other good stuff there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 06:25 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have an Expedit and I LOVE it. I currently house all my wood mounted stamps, photo boxes for my cards, cuttlebug and other assorted stuff. They also make cute drawers and cabinet doors for the individual cubbies if you want to keep your stuff out of sight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 07:07 PM   #23  
Mad Swapper

I have pics of the metal hanging baskets,etc. in my craft room- love them!
Craft room by stampingPaige at Splitcoaststampers

I also have a daybed with a comforter/ matching lampshade in my guest room.

I got an awesome 2 shelf storage unit with baskets that fit it- wicked cheap ! I store my printer on top, and copy paper, etc. in the baskets next to my computer desk.

I also bought fun little candles that fit into holders that look like ice cubes... and my fave item is the fun shaped ice cube trays!

I love IKEA, we have one in New Haven, enjoy your trip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 07:19 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Emily - how fun! Patti above has excellent advice. You probably already know this, but the Bygel rails come in two lengths and have several baskets to choose from. Also I had a hard time finding them the first time, even with asking for help. At our store, they are around the corner from all the kitchen setups and in bins. I also have the Benno CD tower and love it. Should buy a 2nd one. I also like their Stripa shelves (very narrow and inexpensive) that I saw many post about here on SCS. I need to get some more of those. I have 1 that holds the IKEA really cute and inexpensive spice jars that come 4 to a pack that I keep embellishments in. They are downstairs. Also there are some inexpensive magnet strips downstairs in home organization that I have on the wall to hang cards on. They also have some other inexpensive magnet boards that I've seen folks use in their rooms to post inspiration. When we first did my stamp room, we got the Galant series tables and matching rolling filing cabinets. Highly recommend those for anyone looking at furniture. Have fun and report back what you find
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 07:28 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Wow, I wanna go tomorrow...I don't know how I'm gonna wait till Friday:mrgreen:. Thanks for the tips everyone. Keep em coming;). I can't stay off the IKEA website. I've got their catalog, but a lot of stuff isn't in it. I think I've probably already spent all my money in my head plus some :lol:. Maybe I can talk hubby out of some more. I can't wait to see the scratch and dent section.

Question-Do you think 4 of the longer metal rods and 6 baskets will be enough or will I fill those up pretty quick?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 08:26 PM   #26  
down and digi

If you want ink pad storage, the Stakebo DVD holders are perfect. They have been discontinued in Canada, and it may be the same in the US.

I have bought stuff from the bathroom area for storage - I bought metal, wall mounted kleenex boxes for stamp pads (since the DVD holders are noe gone). Here: http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/40062109 I got matching cotton swab holders for my reinkers. Here: http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/20062110

I also have a bar that hangs on the wall that can have things hang off it (got it in the bathroom area) and I use it for punch storage. This one would work: http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/50072645 You use it by leaning it against the wall, with the push part hooked over the front of the rail.

The jars are great and cheap. Did you see this room? http://twopeasinabucket.kaboose.com/...out_id=1328274

She uses a lot of jars for embellishments, primas, ribbon and more. There are great prices on jars at IKEA. I love this shelf for my jars: http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/90049686

You can use this for hanging anything with a cord - heat gun, crafting electric tools, etc http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/30079488

Have fun! I am headed to IKEA tomorrow because I need a couple more jars.

ETA: Those links are to the Cdn site, so the prices will be lower for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 10:49 PM   #27  
Forum Fanatic

Are the Benno's wobbly? I was wondering if it is difficult to access the CD cases you store on the bottom shelves... Input fro anyone who has them?

Considering options for our new house. Right now I have regaular bookcases with lots of plastic shoeboxes with tools and embellishments inside. Functional, but far from esthetically pleasing like many other rooms.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2008, 03:59 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCEmilyView Post
Wow, I wanna go tomorrow...I don't know how I'm gonna wait till Friday:mrgreen:. Thanks for the tips everyone. Keep em coming;). I can't stay off the IKEA website. I've got their catalog, but a lot of stuff isn't in it. I think I've probably already spent all my money in my head plus some :lol:. Maybe I can talk hubby out of some more. I can't wait to see the scratch and dent section.

Question-Do you think 4 of the longer metal rods and 6 baskets will be enough or will I fill those up pretty quick?
This picture should give you an idea of how much you can fit on a rail. These are the long rail. My updated Stampin' Space by mrs_hawkins at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2008, 04:03 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ikea is fun but whatever you do, don't purchase a rolling drawer thing. It's a metal frame that you put different drawers in and a wooden shelf on top. It's called Antonius I think about $50 when you buy everything you need. It's terrible. The drawers fall out all the time even when there's nothing in them. I had to duct tape the bottoms and now they stick. Worst thing I ever bought. But I still like IKEA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2008, 04:37 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Question about the Bygel bar...will it hold the old, small EK Success punches? I can't tell from the photo posted above if these will fit or if they are too small. (Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2008, 04:50 AM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdodd00View Post
Question about the Bygel bar...will it hold the old, small EK Success punches? I can't tell from the photo posted above if these will fit or if they are too small. (Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread.)
I have the smallest SU black punches on mine just fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2008, 08:39 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

As far as how many BYGEL rods/baskets. It all depends on what you have I have attached a picture HERE of mine in my studio. the green and white cups are .99 and also go with the system. HTH! I can not say it enough times I LOVE IKEA!!!!!!!! Pretty much everything in my Studio came from Ikea you can see all the pics in my gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2008, 09:58 AM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks for the pictures and links everyone. Thanks Heather and Patti for sharing the pictures of your bygel stuff. It really helps to get an idea of the size and how much stuff you can fit. I'm thinking I'll probably out grow 4 of them pretty fast. I'll get more so I don't have to pay outrageous shipping when those are full.

I love those jars. I'm not sure what I can use them for, but they are too cute to not get.

I've got storage for my stamps and ink pads, and ribbon. It's mainly the smaller stuff that doesn't really have a place-but I think the rails with baskets will be prefect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2008, 02:44 PM   #34  
Compulsive Stamper

For a fun project, you can buy magnet boards from IKEA, which can easily be transformed with some DSP into a beautiful display for cards! In Canada at least the boards are relatively cheap - $10 dollars. Can be used for a fun 3D workshop idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #35  
Compulsive Stamper

I should add that this is not my idea but my fab-o-lus upline Desiree's idea. She held a class about a week ago. I didn't get a chance to go but I bought my own magnet board at ikea this weekend and am going to try it out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2008, 06:07 PM   #36  
Crimping Master

Definitely a car/truck/semi big enough to bring everything home...I live about 30 minutes from the Schaumburg IKEA and I still never have enough room for everything...Definitely measure your room before going, I always bring a small journal with all my measurements with me. Last time I was there I bought the railing in the kitchen area to hang all of my punches up on the wall...still waiting to get those babies up and functional. I can't remember the name of the railing, but you can attach hanging baskets to it. The rail was like $1.99...Super cheap! I also found some great containers in their very lower level by their gardening section to put pens, marker, etc...in. Oh...and the glass jars in the kitchen section are AWESOME as well for embellishments...I have different colored buttons in mine...the set was like 3 or 4 to a set...Small glass like canisters and each jar has a different color familly in it...they look nice and organized...Man I can go on and on...Have a great time...I am also addicted to the Lingonberry preserves they sell...I'm almost out.

Wear comfortable shoes...:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2008, 06:59 PM   #37  
Kookie Creator

Just a note - if you have your heart set on something, you can look to see if it is available at the store you want by checking on the web. I almost made a trip to our IKEA this weekend (which take me forever) because of a shelving unit I wanted...my husband made me check its availablity before we left and sure enough it was out of stock. I just find this helps put you won't be as disappointed if it is not there....but don't worry, there is lots of fun stuff! Have fun!

Visit my Gallary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 03:50 PM   #38  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks everyone! Kelann, awesome tip! I didn't think of that. I just checked and everything is in stock .

I'm going with my mom and she recently got a truck, so I think we're good to go:mrgreen:.

Sampergeek-That sounds really cute. Do you have a picture?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 04:19 PM   #39  
Insane Embellisher

JARS so you can use up all your SAB rubons!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 04:40 PM   #40  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahanekView Post
JARS so you can use up all your SAB rubons!!
Ohh, good idea. I was planning to get some jars for embellishments and stuff anyway, but decorated is much better. Unfortunately I only have one pack of the SAB rub-ons though (SAB was not good to me, lol:rolleyes and up to this point I've pretty much been hoarding them (I've only used 2 or 3).
Reply With Quote Likes