Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-06-2005, 04:38 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question tag punch & layers *MERGED*

How does everyone layer their tags from the punch. Do you eyeball and cut with a scissors? Or use your paper trimmer? Or perfect layers? Just curious what everyone does.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2005, 04:55 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

I just love, love, LOVE using my Perfect Layers! I can chose the width of the layer, cut and be done! Just that quick!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2005, 05:02 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

eyeball with a long-blade scissors

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2005, 07:02 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

My mom has used the tag punch and she said what she did was cut out the stamped image on the cardstock, mount on the color of cardstock you want the tag to be and turn the tag over to punch...perfect layer! The stamps are actuallly a little smaller than the tag punch, so you can still do one layer.

I hope this is what you are asking...maybe I didn't understand the question right...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2005, 07:33 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I use "Layer Ease" I get a perfect mat every time! I demonstrated the layer ease with the tag set and every tag set I sold, they ordered the layer ease with it. They really are a neat little tool. Page 221 in your catalog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2005, 07:51 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassyat30
My mom has used the tag punch and she said what she did was cut out the stamped image on the cardstock, mount on the color of cardstock you want the tag to be and turn the tag over to punch...perfect layer! The stamps are actuallly a little smaller than the tag punch, so you can still do one layer.

I hope this is what you are asking...maybe I didn't understand the question right...
This is exactly what I do, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2005, 07:58 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I either cut the stamped tag out and then mount it with the tag punch, but if I want another layer, I use my creative memories personal cutter. I love that thing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2005, 06:36 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Terrific Tags, How to Use

With the SAB catty offering a tag set, I'm leaning that way. But questions first, since I don't see my demo, I don't know what the punch looks like.

Is the punch 2 layered? Or do you punch out your CS, and the stamp is smaller so it fits in punched piece giving it a layered look?

What about some of those terrific samples that stampers use other stamps that aren't "tagged size". How do you go about cutting the CS smaller to fit the punched piece?

Why can't I just use my couzell (sp) to make layered tags? Why should I spend $40 for this set?

Do you think SU will just offer the punch in the catty w/o buying the whole set?

Thanks, Cher
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2005, 06:52 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I'm not a demo, but I can answer some of your questions.

The punch is one layer only. I can't remember if we cut down the stamped image after punching or if we just trimmed around the layer of CS under the punch to make two layers. Either way, you'll have to do some extra cutting to get layers with the punch.

I think part of the "convenience" of the tag punch with the tag sets is that the punch matches exactly the shape of the stamps.

I like the tag punch, but I'm personally waiting to see if the punch will come out separately in the catalog as I don't want to spend $40 for a tin that I don't need and some spots that I don't need.

Just my $0.02!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2005, 06:53 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love my tag punch. It is just one size and the stamps fit inside it. I use one of my square punches to punch out other stamps to adhere to the tag. I don't know what SU is going to do going forward. I personally hate my Cozulle and barely touch it. This punch is so much easier to use. I attach tags to everything now. Plus the samples in the gallery are incredible.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2005, 06:56 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

The stamps are smaller than the punch. The punch leaves about 1/8 inch, or maybe a little less all the way around. I am a demo and I wasn't terribly excited about it, until I received it. The punch is so nice - much bigger than I expected - and you can really get creative with it. You are definitely not limited to using those 6 stamps that come with it, or the SAB set that's available. It will work with many images and is great with a layer of CS behind it, or without - depends on what you want to do.

I am personally thinking that the punch will make it into the catty since they've already done two sets for it, but I guess you really never know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2005, 07:03 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Talking From a Demo

The greatest part about the tag punch box is the stamp set and the punch. The punch is big so it would probably be one of the $20-$25 ones on it's own. Then the stamp set is awesome...alone it would probaby be $15. You also get 3 stampin spots with it...certainly celery, real red and borcade blue. This is a great way to try out new colors if you don't know those already...they are some of my favorites.

And you get the great tin to store all of your stuff in.

I love the tag punch set and think it is totally worth the $40! I wasn't so sure at first but now that I have it I love it! And I think that they will just start to make more and more sets for it. What a great investment.

Last edited by Sereikastamper; 12-21-2005 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: Violation of TOS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2005, 07:26 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I too love my punch kit. It took me a long time to order it but once I became a demo it was the first things I ordered. I use the perfect layers rulers to do matting around the punch. I have also used it to make corners on a photo and made the tag very big so I could journal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2005, 07:29 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

I'm not a demo, but the SAB mini catalog mentions that none of those sets will be in the new big catalog so if you want the 2nd set of tags, you'll have to earn them. I agree with a previous poster that the tag punch is really awesome. It would sell for $18-$20 for sure by itself and of course you'd want to buy the matching tag stamp set, and so that practically makes up the $40 - why not take those extra spots and give them to your kids, a kid's teacher with cheap stamps (which is what I did with mine), or give to a friend who is just starting her collection of inkpads. Plus that tag box is really cool to store stuff like fibers, ribbon, smaller punches, or odds/ends stamps from Hobby Lobby or Michael's.

So what I'm trying to say, is if you feel like you'd buy the punch and stamps anyway, why not get some extras with it now (plus earn a SAB set in the process)?

Happy Stampin!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2005, 05:47 AM   #15  
Glitter Queen

The sets in mini catalogs are now "limited" according to SU!, so that means they won't be available later. The sell-a-bration catty has 6 new stamps that are the tag shape, so that means if you wait until January and buy the $40 punch box, you only have to spend $10 more and you can get the sell-a-bration tag set for free, which gives you 12 stamps! I think that is very cool, and can't wait to get mine. But, supposedly, if they really are limited, you won't be able to buy those two sets of tag stamps later in the next year's big catalog. And, I think the box (which I wasn't thrilled with either) will be really cool to hold all those tag stamps plus the punch since it seems pretty deep. When it was just the original stamp set I thought it was a waste of space.

That was long. Hope it helped! Terri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2005, 12:34 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Just a clarification...

Just wanted to mention that SU has said that none of the SAB sets will ever appear in the big catalog, and none of the Hostess Sets will be in the catalog. BUT, *some* of the Mini Catalog sets *will* be in the big catalog - just fewer than before.

So there's a chance that any given Mini Catalog stamp set could be in the next catalog. Just my opinion, but I really think the Tag Punch will be in the next catalog and maybe the stamps that go with it too. Will they still come together in the box or will you be able to get them separately? I have no idea! But they *might* be available. I'm thinking that if SU keeps the Tag Punch, they might make a NEW set of tag stamps! :-)

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2006, 01:36 PM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

Question Tag Punch Question

Ok for all you have that have the tag punch kit I just receieved mine today. My ever burning question is how do you layer it? I've seen all the samples and I just can't figure it out?

Does anyone have a good idea??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2006, 01:44 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I layer with mine all the time, great fun! =)
I just measure how tall and wide the punched tag is, then I cut out a piece that is 1/4" wider and taller and then I mount the tag onto that piece and then just cut out the extra where the tag narrows...make sense??

Anna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2006, 02:21 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

I stamp and the cut around that and then punch the back layer with the punch. Glue together and it is layered!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2006, 03:11 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

This past week in the techniques forum I had two helpful SCS answer my question about layering the tag punch evenly. Both said to turn the punch upside down, stamp your picture and insert in the inverted punch. You can see exactly where you want to punch. One woman said she turns all of her punches upside down. Not sure this is exactly what you are asking but boy, has it been a time saver for me. Sorry I don't have time to look for the names of the helpful tip givers.

Andi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2006, 04:54 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

This is how my bunch of 'newbies' did it at my SAB Stamp Camp. Stamp the tag stamp, turn the punch upside down to center in the opening...so you get the white (or whatever color you're using) border. Then take a scrap piece of another color and adhere the punched tag to it. Then, Girlfriend, just eyeball it with scissors. The tag is small enough that with a good pair of scissors you can do one side, the angle, the top, the other angle, the other side. I just did a punch pouch and that's how I layered them all. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2006, 05:01 PM   #22  
SCS RAK Coordinator Alumna

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawbanana
I layer with mine all the time, great fun! =)
I just measure how tall and wide the punched tag is, then I cut out a piece that is 1/4" wider and taller and then I mount the tag onto that piece and then just cut out the extra where the tag narrows...make sense??

Anna

This is exactly what I do- now I have one that is my guide and just use that to trace and cut- I made a few different sizes, but really like the 1/4" bigger one the best.

:smile:

BRAK Volunteer The Birthday RAK is always accepting new members- check it out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2006, 06:30 PM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

I find it easiest to stamp the image, punch out (centering the punch upside down over the image like others mention), then cut more off the border between the image and the edge. Then punch the mat in color cs and layer. hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2006, 12:16 PM   #24  
Glitter Queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question-Terrific Tags Punch Box

Hooray! I have ordered this set... (and spent enough to get the SAB TTT to go with it!) I have a question. I've looked at the gallery, and it looks like a lot of folks layer the tag punch onto a larger tag. (Love that look!) Do you just free-hand the larger tag, or is there another tag punch that "fits" it? I have the Sizzex tag die, and the sizzlets tag dies. Do any of these fit? Or is there another non-SU tag punch that works? (I don't see a tag-shaped punch in the IDC)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2006, 12:20 PM   #25  
Kookie Creator

I think most are free-handing it. If you cut right around the stamped image on the stamps that are included, you get a pretty good layering effect.

I did a card where I handcut a larger tag, and it took me forever and was extremely time consuming. I probably wouldn't do it again, unless it were for something really special.

Handstamped......because I can't draw
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2006, 12:29 PM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

I just free-hand it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2006, 12:31 PM   #27  
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I cut around the stamped image and them cut my mat using the punch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2006, 12:33 PM   #28  
Forum Fanatic

The perfect layers tool makes cutting out a larger tag around the tag punch one a breeze!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2006, 12:45 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

I use the Perfect Layers tool, too. Works perfectly every time!

Member #32310
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2006, 12:55 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

I use the Perfect Layers tool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2006, 01:14 PM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Another vote for Perfect Layers!
My Blog: A Reinvented Mom
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2006, 01:52 PM   #32  
Kookie Creator

i cut a piece that is about 1/4" larger then the tag punch, then i center the tag on it and the cut out the little slanted pieces at the top, quick and it woeks great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2006, 02:00 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

One of my trimmers is a guillotine, so it is really easy to just trim evenly all the way around the tag.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2006, 02:38 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Received 181 Likes on 57 Posts

Quote:

i cut a piece that is about 1/4" larger then the tag punch, then i center the tag on it and the cut out the little slanted pieces at the top, quick and it woeks great!
This is exactly what I do too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2006, 02:52 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasjodylynn
I cut around the stamped image and them cut my mat using the punch.
This sounds like such an easy way to explain it!

I'm pretty sure I shut my blog down til further notice! Perhaps forever!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2006, 08:08 PM   #36  
Glitter Queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks so much everyone!! I like all of your answers!!! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2006, 04:41 AM   #37  
Gallery Gazer

Free hand it...only takes a couple of minutes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2006, 07:02 AM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

Perfect Layers for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2006, 07:30 AM   #39  
Stampin' Fool

I either cut around the stamped image and center it on the tag punch out or punch the image out with the tag punch and use the perfect layers tool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2006, 12:54 PM   #40  
Watercolor Wizard

I think I'm weird!
I punch out the colored cardstock tag(whichever color I want) as the background layer. Then I punch out a neutral tag (this is top layer)and stamp the tag stamp on the neutral paper. I trim the neutral paper close around the image and layer on top of the first colored tag just using my SU scissors... I like the way it looks, a closely cropped stamped image and then the color underneath.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes