Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-27-2008, 05:21 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU small ink pads questions

Hello

Sorry if this has been done to death-I'd really appreciate some advice/comments.

I'm trying to get a few ink pads together. I've 3 small ones and 2 of the large. I'm in the UK so just the normal ink pads.

I'm trying to get a good range, so a bit of yellow, green etc. I really do quite like the Soft subtles range but in reality do like some of each colour group. I certainly don't like the all and have alot of ink pads already in a variety of makes and am learning from past hoarding mistakes NOT to overdo it and get everything as I won't use them.

I actually have 2 large Soft Subtles already and a small one so would be duplication and a couple I don't like, so considering maybe even ebay to prevent my previous hoarding-I will not do that anymore. I like many more than I dialike though so the set would be used I feel certain all in all.

My questions in the main relate to the actual usefulness of the small spots. I like the large as great for background stamps but I stamped my Paisley background last night with a spot and it was Ok coverage wise. Is this often a problem with small ink pad and large stamps?

What about watercolouring. with the large you press the pad into the lid and pick up the ink, what's the best approach with the spots?

Equally with the wheels, it is possible to use the big ink pad for ink, how can you with the spots if at all?

All in all, what I would gain in terms of a more economical way of getting a good range of colurs, (and I don't craft everyday so won't use loads of ink either), would I find the spots more difficult to use and so really be better building up a collection of large pads slowly?

I think I would get the sets for maybe the Soft subles and maybe the Neutrals, possibly the bolds but really probably end up with a mix of big and small as we can't buy the spots in the UK other than in the colour family.

Any thoughts? Good or bad points about the spots would be great! Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2008, 06:46 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Hi
Sorry I was a bit useless in my search but found some great stuff now-in wrong area really too, should be tools.Sorry.

Going to go with the spots as feedback so good. Sorry to have been so useless!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2008, 09:11 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Default spots

I know there have been other discussions on Splitcoast regarding the spots...you could try a search. I have the four color families in spots. I don't have space (or $$) to buy the full-sized pads. I love them. They aren't as easy to use in inking up a background stamp as the larger pads, but they do work, that's what I've been using for a long time now. they don't take much storage space (I have mine stored in two SU stamp boxes, two sets in each so they're easy to see & use). I labeled the bottoms just in case they got separated from the tops. One thing I wish I'd known earlier---be sure you don't have any loose threads sticking out from the pad to the lid, you'll lose ink that way (the thread acts as a wick).

I'm working my way towards getting the craft inks in spots too.
hope this helps.

"All that glitters is not gold; all who wander are not lost"....Tolkien
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2008, 09:56 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a friend who has ALL of the SU spots and uses them a lot. She gets the reinkers at the same time she gets the spots. I am thinking about it - but since I already have 11 of the full size pads (all the old style - I don't like the "new"ones) there would be lots of duplication --- so I'm on the same fence!!!

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2008, 10:06 AM   #5  
Failed Lurker

Hello! The great news is that the new UK catty has the spots! They are a really economical way of getting all the colours but, as you say, you don't like all of the colours, so the larger pads may be the better option.

Spots are good if you want everything quickly, or plan to travel with your stash a lot. They are also handy to use with alphabet stamps if you're a scrapper.

But personally I prefer the large ink pads for all the reasons you've mentioned - using the inside of the lid as a palette, using them for direct-to-paper, and just because they're bigger. I'm gradually trying to collect them all.

The other good news is that UK prices are DOWN!!!! The ink pads are now only �4.25 each!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2008, 02:40 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I HAD the soft subtle spots for a while. Used them once and never used them again. I gave them to my BFF to travel with. Won't make that mistake again.
JMHO
jennik
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2008, 04:12 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer the spots! i have them all, classic and craft ink, all the Dew Drops form several company's and make my own with reinkers from what ever maker I take a liking too!

I even have made my own Distress Ink spots!

You can look here and see if they ship to UK....
www.mardigourds.com

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2008, 04:22 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I love my spots! I find it so much easier to ensure even coverage on big stamps. The only large ink pads I have are black, white and the "in" colours b/c i don't have a choice.
I've used them to ink a wheel. It's more time consuming but works. I have no regrets about getting my spots. I've had them for almost a year now and haven't had to re-ink any of them. I'm slowly building up my re-inker collection.
Kristy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2008, 04:38 PM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Default Stampin' Spots

I have all the spots in Classic and took them on an extended RV trip vs the large ink pads. They work great and save alot of space. Although I have many of the large pads, I prefer the spots for travel and also because I don't use all the colors all the time and spots are cheaper!
Carolyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2008, 04:48 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Gosh, this is like an advert or a demo!

I mentioned the Uk catalogue having the spots in my OP, and that's the whole reason for this post-that they are now available in the Uk and what are the pros and cons of them.

UK prices are down but the big ink pads are now 'only �4.25' so to buy 2 is nearly �10, 4 nearly �20 etc etc..No offence but I'm unconvinced about the 'only' either-to buy the colour set would be a fortune. They're only down 25p-less than 50cents, so I'll be honest, that 25p hasn't made any difference in whether I buy them or not! Maybe I'm just mean but i don't think so, just that clearly you're a demo and trying to sell stuff so 'prices down' is a big hard sell, but as a buyer, 'prices down' was interesting except not ALL prices are down and 25p even on a few items still doesn't make much of a dent in the P+P I have to pay or that some stamp sets are over �30-$55 approx!!

Thanks for the comments regarding the pros and cons of the product. I managed to find previous posts but everyone talking again has really helped! thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BagpussView Post
Hello! The great news is that the new UK catty has the spots! They are a really economical way of getting all the colours but, as you say, you don't like all of the colours, so the larger pads may be the better option.

Spots are good if you want everything quickly, or plan to travel with your stash a lot. They are also handy to use with alphabet stamps if you're a scrapper.

But personally I prefer the large ink pads for all the reasons you've mentioned - using the inside of the lid as a palette, using them for direct-to-paper, and just because they're bigger. I'm gradually trying to collect them all.

The other good news is that UK prices are DOWN!!!! The ink pads are now only �4.25 each!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2008, 09:27 AM   #11  
Failed Lurker

Just trying to be informative. :rolleyes: I still think �4.25 is a bargain for an ink pad of that size but each to his own - especially compared to other prices in the UK; you can't reasonably compare them to US prices as everything is cheaper over there.

As for "trying to sell stuff" - I assume you already have your own demonstrator as you have some SU pads, so there really wasn't anything in it for me... as I said before, I was just trying to be helpful. Sorry you didn't see it that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2008, 04:14 PM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Where can I buy empty ink spots

Can someone tell me where I can buy empty ink spots
Thank you
France
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 12:29 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

I like my spots okay, but I really prefer the larger ink pads. The spots seemed to have dried out really fast, and one of them leaked and I had to throw it away. The spots are nice when you have to ink a small area, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

When I started out, I chose one colour family to get the big pads in, maybe one to three on an order, as well as black and a few neutrals. Then I gradually got one colour family at a time in the ink spots. As I used the spots, I discovered which colours I like to use, and if wanted, I would buy one of that in the full size. I got a set of the craft spots in the family that I had big pads in. Other craft pads I just purchase one or two if I have a really favourite colour.
The spots work fine on the backgrounds, just takes a bit longer to tap it all over., if you want a 'varigated' look, it easier to do this with spots than with the big pads.
I don't buy all of the in-colours, just pick out two or three that I like when I see people using them in new cards.
I'm now working on getting my re-inkers built up, once again getting my favourites first- those will be the ones that need re-inking first, and also I can do some of the neat re-inker techniques. I do not have any craft re-inkers yet.
If you are going to get a set of the spots, probably the Soft Subtles should be the last set to get- the others colour families are (in general) stronger, stand out more.
With full size pads, make sure you get a good spectrum of colours if you're only doing a few at a time- eg, a red, a blue, a yellow, a purple, a green, an orange. Then add in other shades of a colour (eg extra blue or green). That will let you do a lot.
Good luck with your acquisitions.
Reply With Quote Likes