Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-29-2009, 11:36 AM   #121  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Valerie11View Post
It is uncomfortable and feels like you are scoring with a plastic knife. I cannot imagine scoring multiple scores in a row.
A regular scoring blade works fine with the MS scoring mat so this is a non-issue. I defnitely wouldn't let the included scoring blade be a deal breaker on whether or not you buy the MS scoring mat. JMO
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2009, 11:57 AM   #122  
Die Cut Diva

hmmm..I'm liking everyones imput
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2009, 12:04 PM   #123  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonieView Post
A regular scoring blade works fine with the MS scoring mat so this is a non-issue. I defnitely wouldn't let the included scoring blade be a deal breaker on whether or not you buy the MS scoring mat. JMO
It's not the only deal breaker for me, I did buy it to compare it to what I am used to. I don't care for the MS board. Like I said, there are other issues in performance/engineering for me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2009, 12:09 PM   #124  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

... many will say I am biased towards the Scor-Pal because of my connection with them, I am uncomfortable listing the pros and cons.
Oh, now that's not fair! ;)

Yes, you most likely are biased, and that is certainly understandable, but I'm sure many of us would like to know your opinion anyway.

Please reconsider your decision. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2009, 12:30 PM   #125  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

It's not the only deal breaker for me, I did buy it to compare it to what I am used to. I don't care for the MS board. Like I said, there are other issues in performance/engineering for me.
I would love to hear them... please.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #126  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by XcessStampsView Post
I would love to hear them... please.
If you were standing in a room with me, I'd be more than happy to demonstrate both and have you try them. That is the only way to make a comparison and have you decide what is best for you.

That said, every tool in this industry has it's supporters and naysayers - look how many threads pop up about cutters, markers, ink, die cut machines, etc. And within each of those threads you'll find people who have a favorite and those who dislike that same favorite.

For me, the Scor-Pal does exactly what I need it to. I'm sorry that the 1/8" scoring causes some people to get their noodle in a knot - it's not that hard to accomplish, really. As far as envelopes go, I can make any size I need in a matter of minutes, without a triangle template. Same goes for boxes.

And, to know that a fellow crafter and former SU! demo saw a need so many years ago to make a scoring tool that was more than a blade in a trimmer or a bone folder and a ruler, went and made a prototype from a ruler and chipboard, engaged engineers, and went into production to fill not only her dream but to make our paper crafting lives easier speaks volumes to me.

To support that spirit of entrepreneurship feels better to me. Better than supporting a conglomerate who, in all likelihood, doesn't care what my opinion is on anything. And certainly doesn't answer her phone personally to answer any questions on I might have, listen to suggestions that might make the board even better, or even send out a free scoring tool when the one I've been using gets dull. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by 11Valerie11; 10-29-2009 at 01:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2009, 02:22 PM   #127  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

If you were standing in a room with me, I'd be more than happy to demonstrate both and have you try them. That is the only way to make a comparison and have you decide what is best for you.

That said, every tool in this industry has it's supporters and naysayers - look how many threads pop up about cutters, markers, ink, die cut machines, etc. And within each of those threads you'll find people who have a favorite and those who dislike that same favorite.

For me, the Scor-Pal does exactly what I need it to. I'm sorry that the 1/8" scoring causes some people to get their noodle in a knot - it's not that hard to accomplish, really. As far as envelopes go, I can make any size I need in a matter of minutes, without a triangle template. Same goes for boxes.

And, to know that a fellow crafter and former SU! demo saw a need so many years ago to make a scoring tool that was more than a blade in a trimmer or a bone folder and a ruler, went and made a prototype from a ruler and chipboard, engaged engineers, and went into production to fill not only her dream but to make our paper crafting lives easier speaks volumes to me.

To support that spirit of entrepreneurship feels better to me. Better than supporting a conglomerate who, in all likelihood, doesn't care what my opinion is on anything. And certainly doesn't answer her phone personally to answer any questions on I might have, listen to suggestions that might make the board even better, or even send out a free scoring tool when the one I've been using gets dull. Just my thoughts.
Well said! I was able to purchase a Martha Stewart Scoring Tool last night, and although it would be convenient to have the score lines every 1/8th of an inch, I'll be returning mine. Why? Well, primarily because it doesn't lay flat on my table. That's really going to bug me that every time I use it I have to deal with it adjusting itself. I did notice that it was difficult to get the beginning of the score right at the edge of the paper. It did seem like the grooves were slightly narrower/shallower maybe? I didn't get out my microscope to check for sure, but I did try using my Score Tool (from the Score Pal...the MS one really is flimsy) in both and it was much easier in the Score Pal. So, I'm going to be using my noodle more...something I need to do as a stay at home mom to young kiddos.

P.S. Please don't PM me asking to purchase it. It's easier to return it at the store than package it all up and make it to the post office. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #128  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by CuttersCallousView Post
The scoring tool has a beveled edge, which is uncomfortable to use. Let me see if I can get a picture.
ah, well perhaps it would be worth using with another bone folder instead, and still having the other advantages?
Thanks for the photo, it made the point

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2009, 02:39 PM   #129  
Forum Fanatic

I can't get the Scorpal to go all the way to the edge, either...

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2009, 04:09 PM   #130  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Very well stated, Val...and I totally agree.

The scoring tool isn't the only "deal breaker" for me as well. It's just the most obvious one. To each his own...and it's not for me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 12:30 AM   #131  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I hope it's ok if I add a follow up. What about you girls or guys who own the Crafter's Companion enveloper or UCC? How do you think it compares to the MS Scoring Board?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 02:52 AM   #132  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread keeps popping up to the top. Curiosity finally got the best of me (do I really need one more toy?! best to stay away from tempting threads! lol!)

Anyway, just want to chime in that I really appreciate hearing from both the cheerleading section and the less-than-thrilled, no matter what the object being discussed is. It's a pretty unbalanced picture, IMHO, if the only people allowed to post are those who love a product.

Thanks for letting both sides speak up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 05:38 AM   #133  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
This thread keeps popping up to the top. Curiosity finally got the best of me (do I really need one more toy?! best to stay away from tempting threads! lol!)

Anyway, just want to chime in that I really appreciate hearing from both the cheerleading section and the less-than-thrilled, no matter what the object being discussed is. It's a pretty unbalanced picture, IMHO, if the only people allowed to post are those who love a product.

Thanks for letting both sides speak up.
I agree that hearing both sides is always good. The only thing I don't like is a certain tone in some of the posts that is contemptuous of any product that isn't "the" product.

Recently in a thread about the Crafter's Companion I posted that I liked my Enveloper better than the Scor-pal and I was chastised for my "negative attitude". I never said that I didn't like the Scor-pal, just that I rarely used it because I found the Enveloper so much faster and easier.

My problem is not "cheerleaders"; my problem is with cheerleaders who disparage anyone who doesn't agree with them or those who post in a way that is disdainful of anyone who likes something they consider "inferior".

There are nice, kind and respectful ways of disagreeing- I wish the cheerleaders would act that way in their posts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 05:42 AM   #134  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Following the directions for the MS A2 envelope produces an envelope that is larger than a standard A2.
Thank you Valerie. I have been attempting to create envelopes far too often convinced that I was doing something wrong. I'm very disappointed that the envelope is so much larger than an A2 card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 08:15 AM   #135  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenjamanTView Post
Thank you Valerie. I have been attempting to create envelopes far too often convinced that I was doing something wrong. I'm very disappointed that the envelope is so much larger than an A2 card.
I've also found that the 4 Bar, A6, and A7 are not standard sizes and are larger. I want to do them a second time to make sure. I can't find what size a 1 Bar envelope is so I can't comment on that other than to say the flap is uber big and goes to 1/4" of the bottom of the envelope.

The only other comment about the envelope triangle and the nature of being right-handed, is that I place my left hand on the triangle and paper to hold it steady while scoring, and it covers up the measuring guide, both parts: the where to score instructions and somewhat where the ruler is on the guide. I'm guessing any template will have that problem.

Last edited by 11Valerie11; 10-30-2009 at 08:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 08:54 AM   #136  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Found the size of a #1 envelope at a link Joan B posted, and googled to make sure, the MS is larger for that one, too....by a full 1/2" each way.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #137  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Crikey, did the rest of the envelopes:

A9 is larger than standard
6 x 6 is 6-5/8 square when finished
A10 is the closest, but the top and bottom flaps are longer than the envelope is tall so you will need to trim them off (and ruin your points) when finished.

Unless I am doing something horribly wrong.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 10:30 AM   #138  
Stampin' Fool

I very much appreciate everyone's thoughtful comments. Pros and Cons of any tool is important for us to make informed decisions in the current economic climate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #139  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Following the directions for the MS A2 envelope produces an envelope that is larger than a standard A2. The MS A2 measures 4-3/4" x 6 when finished. Standard A2 is 4-3/8 x 5-3/4. Not sure about the other envelopes from the MS template as I haven't done them yet.
Thanks Valerie... I'll keep that in mind. I love my Scor Pal.. I keep it right behind me leaning up against the table in the middle of the room.. I sit it on my lap, score my cardstock.. perfect every time! and put it back. I think it was so worth it's weight in gold.. and is why I bought my mom one as well.

~ Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 02:24 PM   #140  
Hardware Hotshot

I agree that I too like to hear both sides of something.. what you mention in your post sounds like a certain part of this site (CE) where because you don't agree with someone's way of thinking, you are chastised.

I had a Crafter's Companion and even though it was pretty easy to use, for some reason it kept tear the end of the score line, so I gave it away to another crafter. I think I might've had a heavy hand when scoring. Glad that you liked yours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tchkView Post
I agree that hearing both sides is always good. The only thing I don't like is a certain tone in some of the posts that is contemptuous of any product that isn't "the" product.

Recently in a thread about the Crafter's Companion I posted that I liked my Enveloper better than the Scor-pal and I was chastised for my "negative attitude". I never said that I didn't like the Scor-pal, just that I rarely used it because I found the Enveloper so much faster and easier.

My problem is not "cheerleaders"; my problem is with cheerleaders who disparage anyone who doesn't agree with them or those who post in a way that is disdainful of anyone who likes something they consider "inferior".

There are nice, kind and respectful ways of disagreeing- I wish the cheerleaders would act that way in their posts.

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 02:42 PM   #141  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Default IMHO

Gosh, I didn't read everyone's input (don't you hate that when someone starts their post that way! :rolleyes: ) LOL!! Sorry!!

But...I picked up Martha's scoring board earlier this week and just got through trying it out for the first time and I was so excited about it, I stopped what I was doing to post about it...and here it was at the top of the Products Forum already!

Anyhow, I had always wondered why Score Pal (yes I own one and use it religiously) didn't have groves every 1/8" or have an indent so your scoring tool would score cleanly from one end of the card to the other. Just that alone makes this version preferable to me!! I didn't notice it any flimsy-er, it handled everything I did just fine.

I love that the envelope tool stores neatly on the back of it and that there's a little compartment with measurements printed inside for the tool at the top. The scoring tool is smaller, but also a tad bit "sharper" so the creases are sharper. I just think Martha did a good job of thinking this through all the way around. (No doubt she used the Score Pal as the model though, which stinks for Score Pal!!)

In the end though, for me, it's an outstanding value and I'm afraid it's going to replace my Score Pal...can't figure out why I would keep both. :cool:
My Blog --> Everlasting Ink
I design for Heartfelt Creations
My Pinterest boards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 05:53 PM   #142  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I like it

I have the scor pal....and went and bought the MS version...I like it. The scor lines are narrow...but if I'm not mistaken this is because they're 1/8" apart. The envelope part is what truly attracted me to this and I like it better than the enveloper for several reasons...my paper lays flat, making it easier for me to scor...and I have more options available for making odd size envelopes.

I'm keeping both...... but then again I'm a tool junkie.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 08:36 PM   #143  
Hardware Hotshot

Okay... the curiosity got the best of me and I got one of these (actually two, one for my mom) however they will be returned tomorrow.

The scoring tool part is just like Valerie says "feels like holding a plastic knife" and when I scored with it.. several times it didn't stay in the groove so I got off score marks. I tried the envelope for the A2 just as the directions says.. except it was way oversized just as stated.

I'll stick with my Scor-Pal.. I have never had issues with scoring out of the grooves and the envelopes fit just fine.

This is just an observation from using the tool. I would suggest that if you get one of these things.. keep your receipt and packaging... if you do not like it you can return it.

~ Pam

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 08:23 AM   #144  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm so glad i started this thread. i was a bit nervous at first.

BUT, you all are so wonderful! i love all the info eveyone who has now tried this is sharing.

its always good to see the "likes" and "dislikes", as everyone has a different point of view, and can point out something someone else didnt see.
know what i mean?

anyways, gotta say i am LOVING it here
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 08:52 AM   #145  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by darlenemcgView Post
I have the scor pal....and went and bought the MS version...I like it.

I'm keeping both too!!!!

Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 09:43 AM   #146  
Hardware Hotshot

Gosh, for 12 bucks using a coupon, I'm getting it. Nothing's ever perfect and I really like the idea of 1/8" grooves!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 12:20 PM   #147  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by darlenemcgView Post
I have the scor pal....and went and bought the MS version...I like it. The scor lines are narrow...but if I'm not mistaken this is because they're 1/8" apart.

Same for me. I have to laugh at being a tool junkie because I have TWO very expensive Bernina sewing machines, and once a tool junkie starts collecting tools and accessories for that, you can go broke pretty quickly.

I had a 40% off coupon for the MS so I got it pretty cheap. Both the ScorPal and the MS have their advantages/disadvantages, IMHO.

Joy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 12:21 PM   #148  
Crimping Master

I used my MS scoring board to make several 4x4 treat boxes and I had no trouble skipping lines or anything. I did use my SU scoring tool so maybe that helps. Anywho, I am still loving the MS scoring board and I love what I payed for it to!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 02:07 PM   #149  
Kookie Creator

I'm a tool junkie, too, so I had to go get one (with a coupon, of course) and I like it so far. The A2 envelope does come out too large, but if you make the paper 8 x 8 instead of 8-1/2 square and just center it as well as you can on the triangle thing, it works out fine. I haven't experimented with the other sizes yet since I rarely make those size cards but I expect the same would be true for those measurements. The scoring tool is not all that great but a regular bone folder works fine in the grooves and I have several of them around, so I will use that. I have the ScorPal, too, and I like it but I will be keeping this as well. JMTC :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 05:43 PM   #150  
Pearl-ExPert

Hmmm, I saw these at M's and was curious. I love that I can come to SCS and find out more...both sides. I am still on the fence about this, I do have a 50% off coupon I could use that would bring the price down to about $10. The question is, I have a Scor-pal and really like it. Do I need another tool? :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 06:10 PM   #151  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by crafty1021View Post
Hmmm, I saw these at M's and was curious. I love that I can come to SCS and find out more...both sides. I am still on the fence about this, I do have a 50% off coupon I could use that would bring the price down to about $10. The question is, I have a Scor-pal and really like it. Do I need another tool? :rolleyes:
yes....:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 07:05 PM   #152  
Inking Addict

Oh great, I just bought the Scor-Pal. Wish I would have known about this sooner.:

Green Queen Mingler
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 07:31 PM   #153  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carrie KView Post
Oh great, I just bought the Scor-Pal. Wish I would have known about this sooner.:
Don't worry, you are going to LOVE the Scor-Pal. It is a super Jim-Dandy tool and is incredibly well made. I've used mine so much I need a new scoring tool -- the pointy end is now blunted from massive use! :shock:

While I am interested in trying out the new MS tool, it's only because I've had such a positive experience with the Scor-pal. I am imagining it to be the Scor-Pal with more lines and realistically I know that isn't possible, based on what other's have said about it. The depth and width of the lines on the Scor-pal are "just right" and it is very rare that I have a bungled up score line -- when I do, it's not the fault of the Scor-pal, it's inattention on my part. So rest assured, you've got a great tool, enjoy it! :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 12:27 AM   #154  
Inking Addict

Default Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
Don't worry, you are going to LOVE the Scor-Pal. It is a super Jim-Dandy tool and is incredibly well made. I've used mine so much I need a new scoring tool -- the pointy end is now blunted from massive use! :shock:

While I am interested in trying out the new MS tool, it's only because I've had such a positive experience with the Scor-pal. I am imagining it to be the Scor-Pal with more lines and realistically I know that isn't possible, based on what other's have said about it. The depth and width of the lines on the Scor-pal are "just right" and it is very rare that I have a bungled up score line -- when I do, it's not the fault of the Scor-pal, it's inattention on my part. So rest assured, you've got a great tool, enjoy it! :cool:
Thanks Boss,
This made me feel alot better and have been looking at tutorials on scor-pal uses, I paid good money, so better put it to good use. Thanks again for caring to respond to my plea.
Carrie :-)

Green Queen Mingler
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 03:08 AM   #155  
Polyshrink Goddess

Our Michaels still does not have the tool and the MS isle looks very sad.
I usually don't complain but our Michaels is ALWAYS soooo late with things and gets new things month after everybody else in the country :0( so I just wrote them a mail about it .
Lets hope they will consider it and maybe look into the issue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 06:24 AM   #156  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post

Hey, Boss,

I agree with you on the Scor-Pal, It is a great tool!
If you give Diana or Roy a jingle at 1-877-629-9908 they will send you a replacement tool. The newer tools are reformulated with a stronger composite (they listened to their customers and had their engineer work on a better tool) and are super strong but with the same qualities, otherwise, as the original tool.

Last edited by 11Valerie11; 11-01-2009 at 06:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 06:32 AM   #157  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Hey, Boss,

I agree with you on the Scor-Pal, It is a great tool!
If you give Diana or Roy a jingle at 1-877-629-9908 they will send you a replacement tool. The newer tools are reformulated with a stronger composite (they listened to their customers and had their engineer work on a better tool) and are super strong but with the same qualities, otherwise, as the original tool.
Wow, Valerie, that is great news! Thanks for letting me know that there's a solution to my worn out tool AND for posting the phone number. I will give them a call tomorrow. :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2009, 09:16 AM   #158  
Die Cut Diva

That's good to know...My tool is starting to get blunt too
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #159  
Stampin' Fool

Smile

I'm going to throw in my two cents on this tool just because! I had it for about a week before I had time to play with it. During that time I kept reading all the posts in this thread and was beginning to feel a little nervous.

I don't have a Scor-Pal. I've been wanting one but the cost kept me from getting it and then MS came out with this one and with a coupon at Michael's it was much more affordable for me.

After reading all the posts pro and con I'd say everyone is correct!! Yes the scoring tool feels flimsy and a little sharp on the edges compared to the bone folder I've been using all these years from SU. It's not impossible to work with; but will take getting used to.

I had no trouble with Designer Series paper when I tested making the A2 envelope. Using the tool that came with it and being careful not to put too much pressure so I didn't cut through the paper, it came out fine. It's a little oversized but I don't mind it.

Using SU card stock to test making the box; I did have trouble with the tool "jumping" out of the track. Some say the grooves are shallower than the Scor-Pal maybe that is the reason. Or maybe it's the thin/flimsy tool on the heavier weight paper. I switched to my SU bone folder; and made myself slow down and then I could keep my score on track.

All in all; I think I am happy with my purchase. It was in my price range and I think if I stick with the SU bone folder for anything heavier than DSP and take my time; I'll be fine. I am a hobby crafter not someone trying to crank out multiples of anything in a short period of time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2009, 05:25 AM   #160  
Glitter Queen

Default ms scoreboard vs scorpal

for those of you who already have a scor pal you may want to use the tool from the scor pal with the ms scor board. i read an artical that compared the two and they felt the ms boards lines were a little too sharp-but they said ot had more to do with the tool than the board. i never purchased the scorpal because i wanted to find something with more scoring lines. i will be buying the ms as a christmas prestent to myself.
Reply With Quote Likes