Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-09-2007, 02:31 AM   #81  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribing. Oh goodness, here goes nothing! Dogs woke me up WAY too early, so now I'm attempting my nestabilities. Thanks for all the tips and tricks ladies!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2007, 03:47 AM   #82  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks ladies for all the personal experiences! The dogs woke me up a bit too early this morning, so I decided to give my nestabilities a try. I have a cuttlebug, and I must say it worked great for cutting. Still trying to figure out the exact number of sheets of cardstock to use as shims so that I can emboss. I've ordered a tan mat, but it's on backorder.

I purchased mine thru Cut at Home using the 40% coupon. I figured spacing each set out by a month to save 40% was well worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2007, 04:36 AM   #83  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheriann73View Post
Thanks ladies for all the personal experiences! The dogs woke me up a bit too early this morning, so I decided to give my nestabilities a try. I have a cuttlebug, and I must say it worked great for cutting. Still trying to figure out the exact number of sheets of cardstock to use as shims so that I can emboss. I've ordered a tan mat, but it's on backorder.

I purchased mine thru Cut at Home using the 40% coupon. I figured spacing each set out by a month to save 40% was well worth it.
Hi Cheri,

Try using a thin piece of chipboard as a shim, like a cereal box, or the thin white chipboard that comes at the back of SU's designer paper. Jerri
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2007, 05:55 AM   #84  
Glitter Guru

subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2007, 06:12 AM   #85  
Crimping Master

i have to say that the Nestabilities are braking my CB plates or atleast the one on the top ,it has a crack in it :(but im lucky and i have a wizard so im gona use that only for my Nestabilities
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2007, 07:24 AM   #86  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you're breaking plates, try making your sandwich a little thinner. Every Bug has its own personality! But if you have the Wizard, too, I guess that solves your problem! LOL I don't have room for two die cut machines--too much other stuff in too small a space. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2007, 09:39 AM   #87  
Glitter Guru

Subscibing for when I get mine
Sneek A Peak at my blog ===> Karen's Kreations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2007, 11:12 AM   #88  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Are any of you having problems with the gold/copper plating coming off the ridge of your dies? I have the entire set and this week I made 30 Christmas cards using ovals, circles and scalloped ovals. I noticed that a tiny section of one of my circle dies wasn't cutting properly leaving a 2mm section uncut. I used my fingernail to run it along the surface of the die ridge and found that the gold/copper plating was gone and I could see a silver surface. I also noticed this on the oval die I had been using. Hope this isn't a manufacturing problem/defect as I bought the entire batch, the "I've gotta have it all".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2007, 01:19 PM   #89  
Glitter Queen

I have the Wizard machine and absolutely love it. After comparing all of the machines on the market, I decided on it because the machine and the rollers are made from steel...no plastic to break. I use my Cuttlebug embossing folders, Cuttlebug dies, Fiskars plates and brass stencils in it, with absolutely no trouble. They are not that expensive and might be an alternative to using the Nestabilities in your Cuttlebug's. (Santa is bringing my Nestabilities set, for Christmas).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2007, 01:57 PM   #90  
Hardware Hotshot

Ladies I am confused - if we use the Nestabilities with the mat in the Cuttlebug - will we still have a sticking to the B plate problem? I really hope not.

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2007, 04:32 PM   #91  
Matboard Maniac

I'm so happy to see so many of you enjoying and playing with the Spellbinders Nestabilities. They are so much fun. I just got the Hearts and Paisleys that I orders. I can't wait to play with them.

Happy Creative Thoughts,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2007, 04:36 PM   #92  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerri KayView Post
Are any of you having problems with the gold/copper plating coming off the ridge of your dies? I have the entire set and this week I made 30 Christmas cards using ovals, circles and scalloped ovals. I noticed that a tiny section of one of my circle dies wasn't cutting properly leaving a 2mm section uncut. I used my fingernail to run it along the surface of the die ridge and found that the gold/copper plating was gone and I could see a silver surface. I also noticed this on the oval die I had been using. Hope this isn't a manufacturing problem/defect as I bought the entire batch, the "I've gotta have it all".
If you think you have a problem with one of your dies. Contact Spellbinders 1-888-547-0400 or
Local: 602-385-7700
They have the most wonderful Customer Service. They are in Phoenix, AZ just to let you know so you can adjust for time difference.

Hope this helps,
Kar
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2007, 04:37 PM   #93  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

This happened to me as well. I called and after I emailed a picture of it, they mailed me a replacement... I'm worried it will happen to others, though!

Joella
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2007, 05:20 PM   #94  
Die Cut Diva

subscribing, i got some nestabilities and havent used it yet,

i am new to the cuttlebug and die machines, i have a stupid question:o :-D
what do you mean by shiming?

thanks gals
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2007, 06:05 PM   #95  
Inking Addict

I checked out my local store to see if they carried the nestabilities and they didn't but showed me Nesting flowers cookie cutter dies, ( scalloped circles) from Quic Kuts. There are 5 scalloped circles. I was told they don't make anything except that so will still have to order on line the nestabilities. Has anyone else used the Quic Kuts. How do they differ or don't they. I just wanted to get something to play with till I ordered the nestabilities.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2007, 06:16 PM   #96  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Do they work in a Sizzix?

I just figured out I could use the Cuttlebug embossing plates in my Sixxiz. I was interested in the Nestabilities but didn't know if they would work with it as well? Anyone know? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2007, 06:19 PM   #97  
Inking Addict

ok, I have another question about the nestabilities. Has anyone tried using the Sizzix?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 03:19 AM   #98  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by mokkabellaView Post
subscribing, i got some nestabilities and havent used it yet,

i am new to the cuttlebug and die machines, i have a stupid question:o :-D
what do you mean by shiming?

thanks gals
Shiming is where you might need to add a piece of cardstock or two under the die and your paper you want die cut. You do this to make your sandwich tighter if you have mats that have been used a lot and might have a worn area that is not cutting perfectly in other machines or you would like to try for a deeper embossed detail.

Hint - for a deeper embossed detail, you can try misting your paper with "Paper Glide" This moistens the paper and helps mold your paper to the embossing areas. I find it helps with the double think cardstocks.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 03:23 AM   #99  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by katinrivView Post
ok, I have another question about the nestabilities. Has anyone tried using the Sizzix?
I have heard that they do work in Sizzix. I believe you need that magnet metal adapter thing. (sorry I don't remember the name) I'm not completley sure what else you might need, but have heard some people have gotten them to work. I'm not sure of consistancy, but you could play around and try.

Sorry, not much help from here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 03:30 AM   #100  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

I checked out my local store to see if they carried the nestabilities and they didn't but showed me Nesting flowers cookie cutter dies, ( scalloped circles) from Quic Kuts. There are 5 scalloped circles. I was told they don't make anything except that so will still have to order on line the nestabilities. Has anyone else used the Quic Kuts. How do they differ or don't they. I just wanted to get something to play with till I ordered the nestabilities.
These are great! I have three sets and yes they work in my Cuttlebug and Wizard. The only difference is the ridges are not as tall as the ridges on Cuttlebug dies or the Nestibilities. They cut paper beautifully, but will not cut into one ply chipboard. The Cuttlebug dies are the best for cutting chipboard. The Nestibilities do, but just barely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 03:33 AM   #101  
Glitter Queen

For any Canadian girls who are interested in Nestabilities in Canada, check out scrappingreatdeals.com This is a Canadian owned and operated company near London Ontario. They offer free shipping anywhere in Canada, for order of $100+. I just got a complete set of Nestabilities (all 5 including the petites) for $342.88. I deal with this company, whenever and for whatever I can, primarily because of their customer service and their rock-bottom prices. They even offer weekly deals, every Wednesday. I am in no way affiliated with Scrappin Great Deals but I am one very satisified and loyal customer. BTW...my Nestablities are a gift for me from Santa (my dear Mother-In-Law) and I can't open them until Christmas (talk about a tease!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 03:47 AM   #102  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

These are great! I have three sets and yes they work in my Cuttlebug and Wizard. The only difference is the ridges are not as tall as the ridges on Cuttlebug dies or the Nestibilities. They cut paper beautifully, but will not cut into one ply chipboard. The Cuttlebug dies are the best for cutting chipboard. The Nestibilities do, but just barely.
The Spellbinders Nestabilities will cut thin chipboard, like cearal box thickness. If I have wanted thicker, I just glue 2 die cuts together. (no biggie) The Spellbinders Wizard can emboss detail in the thicker chipboards like from Zsaige. I use their big Chipboards and a Fiskar's Texture Plate and add embossed detail to them.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 12:31 PM   #103  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 83 Likes on 32 Posts

After completing breaking two B plates in half (one was brand new!) I was terrified to try embossing anything else. I finally found that using only one cardstock sheet (vs. the 3 recommended on Nichole's blog) seemed to help. The impression isn't all that great, but I'm afraid to try two. I mean, literally afraid! That cracking sound is horrible!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 02:18 PM   #104  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by erinbhView Post
After completing breaking two B plates in half (one was brand new!) I was terrified to try embossing anything else. I finally found that using only one cardstock sheet (vs. the 3 recommended on Nichole's blog) seemed to help. The impression isn't all that great, but I'm afraid to try two. I mean, literally afraid! That cracking sound is horrible!
Is your Bug pretty new? They usually start out pretty tight, then loosen up a bit after you break them in. Stick with the thin sandwich for awhile, but eventually you will be able to put more in. I have to add a chipboard shim to get my Nestabilities to cut all the way through, but my Bug is a year old. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 02:27 PM   #105  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I bought it about a year ago, but since I got pregnant (with my third boy) a few months after, I didn't really use it much until the last week or two. So, technically it isn't "new", but really it is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 02:31 PM   #106  
Stazon Splitcoast

LOL Yeah, those pregnancies can really set ya back! I have 6 kids. :-) I really think your breakage problem was caused by 2 things:
1--the original plates that came with the Bugs when they first came out were defective. They cracked easily. That problem has since been fixed, but if you bought your replacement plates before about March, those may be defective, too. I went thru a bunch of plates at first, but I'm still using the ones I put in in March. Happy!
2--the Bug is probably still in the "break in" stage. Stick with cardstock for awhile, or even cereal board, but not medium weight coasters or anything. If it feels too tight, it is! Sometimes just fiddling with the placement of things will allow your sandwich to go thru.

Have fun experimenting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 02:36 PM   #107  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Thank you, Amy, for your advice. I bought two sets of replacement B plates, but I bought those a while back, too. So maybe all my plates were defective! I'm going to get some the next time I'm at my ACM's. And I could definitely tell they were going to break when they were going through, so I know what you mean about "if it feels too tight, it is".

6 kids.... I won't ever mention how trying my life can be sometimes anymore (well not to you anyway).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 02:42 PM   #108  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by erinbhView Post
6 kids.... I won't ever mention how trying my life can be sometimes anymore (well not to you anyway).
Oh, no! I'm the only one who can really understand what you're going thru! LOL Mine are now 16, 15, 13, 8, 6, 3. I like to think it keeps me young, but maybe I'm just kidding myself. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 07:19 PM   #109  
Die Cut Diva

Shiming is where you might need to add a piece of cardstock or two under the die and your paper you want die cut. You do this to make your sandwich tighter if you have mats that have been used a lot and might have a worn area that is not cutting perfectly in other machines or you would like to try for a deeper embossed detail.

Hint - for a deeper embossed detail, you can try misting your paper with "Paper Glide" This moistens the paper and helps mold your paper to the embossing areas. I find it helps with the double think cardstocks.

thank you hooked-2 that helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 08:40 PM   #110  
Crimping Master

Paper Glide never heard of it before but I googled it and now I know. Does it work better than water?
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2007, 10:10 PM   #111  
Rubber Obsessor

I am about to purchase some nestibilities to use in my cuttlebug. Do i need the polymer mats for embossing? I would have thought the cutting and embossing were done at the same press. Do I have to 'feed' it in twice, once for cutting and again for embossing???
Since I ma on a limited budget I am going for one set (of 6)of the scalloped circles, scalloped ovals and scalloped rectangle and just the one plain oval as I figure until I can afford more sets I can cut rectangles with craft knife and I have a circle cutter (both dafta and coluzzle)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2007, 10:57 PM   #112  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

I have the quick kutz nesting scallped circles, I haven't figured out how to get an embossing edge with them but they work through my Big shot...which is great by the way, but I just got them and haven't played with them much yet...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2007, 01:46 AM   #113  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

After a lot of internal debate. I've decided to not get the nestabilities until I also get a wizard. I'll use my cuttlebug for non wizard dies.

don't have any plans for getting the wizard soon, so my cards just won't be "in style" any time soon!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2007, 02:50 AM   #114  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmichelleView Post
I am about to purchase some nestibilities to use in my cuttlebug. Do i need the polymer mats for embossing? I would have thought the cutting and embossing were done at the same press. Do I have to 'feed' it in twice, once for cutting and again for embossing???
Since I ma on a limited budget I am going for one set (of 6)of the scalloped circles, scalloped ovals and scalloped rectangle and just the one plain oval as I figure until I can afford more sets I can cut rectangles with craft knife and I have a circle cutter (both dafta and coluzzle)
Yes you need the polymer mat for embossing. Cutting and embossing are not done at the same time. You run it through once to cut and then run it through a 2nd time to emboss. Since you're on a limited budget have you heard of youcutathome.com. If you sign up (for free), you get a monthly coupon for 40% off. You could buy one scallop set a month and save 40%. A lot of the girls are doing that. I bought my Wizard through them and a month later bought some dies. The service was very good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2007, 02:53 AM   #115  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lissame3View Post
I have the quick kutz nesting scallped circles, I haven't figured out how to get an embossing edge with them but they work through my Big shot...which is great by the way, but I just got them and haven't played with them much yet...
I have the quickutz nesting dies and they work in my Cuttlebug. I use the polymer mat from Spellbinders and run it through just as I would the Nestabilities.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2007, 02:55 AM   #116  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
After a lot of internal debate. I've decided to not get the nestabilities until I also get a wizard. I'll use my cuttlebug for non wizard dies.

don't have any plans for getting the wizard soon, so my cards just won't be "in style" any time soon!!!
I have the Wizard, Cuttlebug, and the Revolution. I prefer using the Cuttlebug for cutting with all the dies. It's very fast and easy to use. I use the Wizard for embossing and I don't use the Revolution for anything, a total waste of money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 11:22 AM   #117  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Thanks

Quote:

Yes you need the polymer mat for embossing. Cutting and embossing are not done at the same time. You run it through once to cut and then run it through a 2nd time to emboss. Since you're on a limited budget have you heard of youcutathome.com. If you sign up (for free), you get a monthly coupon for 40% off. You could buy one scallop set a month and save 40%. A lot of the girls are doing that. I bought my Wizard through them and a month later bought some dies. The service was very good.
Thanks for this information (all from all the others). I have joined Cut at Home at your advice. Now I need to see if they will post to Australia? I might get impatient and get more than one at once though! :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2007, 05:38 PM   #118  
Stazon Splitcoast

I had totally missed out on hearing about this until now (well, we were gone in Sept. and Oct.!!). I have some of my questions answered, but here are a couple more...
I am trying to figure out just what the dies look like - I am confused by the image I have seen. Are they sort of like the CB dies - e.g. one oval per die?

What do you emboss? Maybe a smaller oval on a larger cut out?

Regarding Papertryink - I see tonight some sets are out of stock. Do they ship partial orders or wait until all is in stock (I am thinking of the free shipping aspect).

Thanks so much, enablers!

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2007, 06:10 PM   #119  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile Order sent and thanks for your contributions & blogs

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmichelleView Post
Thanks for this information (all from all the others). I have joined Cut at Home at your advice. Now I need to see if they will post to Australia? I might get impatient and get more than one at once though! :p

Well. I have taken the plunge. I have ordered the full circles of the Nestabilities. What decided it was when I went shopping the other day, I saw a jumbo punch that I was considering once upon a time It was nearly $20. ANd then I considered that I wouldn't hesitate to get a stamp or 2 and pay $20-30 for it. So when I though of all the dies that would end up with and even if I only used 4 of them on a regluar basis then I have come out the same and I still have the options of the other sizes for the odd times when I want a different size. Cut @ Home's 40% off coupon basically allows me to pay for the postage to Australia. I still intend to get the Oval set next but as I have just bought a sizzix Bigz Daisy die I think I had better consolidate a bit first and really use what I have. I am planning to go crazy on these for my Christmas Cards, ornaments etc.
While I am at it, thanks for all the contributors to this thread and also for the many interesting blogs. The peep into your lives is interesting, but your crafting is truly inspirational. I wish I had time to blog too but then I would never get anything else done at all! ....one day when I retire..... one day!!!
Love to all Michelle from down under. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2007, 06:32 PM   #120  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Re: what do Nestabilites look like

Quote:

Originally Posted by etsdasView Post
I had totally missed out on hearing about this until now (well, we were gone in Sept. and Oct.!!). I have some of my questions answered, but here are a couple more...
I am trying to figure out just what the dies look like - I am confused by the image I have seen. Are they sort of like the CB dies - e.g. one oval per die?

What do you emboss? Maybe a smaller oval on a larger cut out?

Regarding Papertryink - I see tonight some sets are out of stock. Do they ship partial orders or wait until all is in stock (I am thinking of the free shipping aspect).

Thanks so much, enablers!
I can't wait to get mine & play. Try visiting Papertry. They also sell Nestabilities and have fantastic tutorials on using Nestabilities especially in the Cuttlebug. here is a link if it works (I haven't sent a link before. otherwise you should be able to copy & paste (This email reply wouldn't allow me to put in the link)
Go to Nichole Heady's blog (you can get it through Papertrey's website) and go to her spellbinders FAQ (listed on the left side of her blog) and see if you can get it that way. maybe someone else knows how to get the link uploaded!

Michelle From Down Under.:-D
Reply With Quote Likes