Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-27-2007, 09:14 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huge!! Martha Stewart 18 x 18 scrapbooks

Hello,

Have you seen the new Martha Stewart 18 x 18 scrapbooks??
They are huge. Just curious!! How many of you would actually use such a large album for yourself???
There is a limited amount of papers to use for these scrapbooks. I am sure if they become popular the selection of papers will expand.
I have other projects that I think this size paper would be good for. I just don't have a place to store it. Will have to come up with something.

Blessings,

Diane Beckman
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2007, 09:30 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I saw them too! What in the world would you put in them? Where would you store them? You would need extra-deep shelving! No, not a purchase I will be making!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2007, 09:47 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I was wondering - does she also have 18 x 18 paper? 18 x 18 is HUGE and, no, I won't be buying it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2007, 09:51 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Hello,

Yes there are some 18 x 18 papers to select. I would guess 20 to 30. A few printed and others were a variety of colors of cardstock. None of the prints said OH MY GOSH I HAVE TO HAVE IT!! So I was able to resist temptation and not buy any.
I may check out the cardstock for a project design I am working on.

Blessings,

Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2007, 12:05 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes they are large. Where would you store one? Once you got it full of pictures and etc. It would be rather heavy. I'll stick to my 12x12 albums.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2007, 05:21 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to okstamper
Smile

That's too weird. I went to Michaels today just to see what the BIG DEAL was. I was not impressed at all. Too pricey..I am a bargain shopper..Yes, I thought those HUGH scrapbooks was a joke..Come on. I wouldnt buy them either. They did have other things there too that were nice though..I wouldnt buy any. I am not a big fan of hers anyways..
Bonnie
My Blog~Bonnie's Creative Corner
Every Job is a Self-Portrait of the Person Who Did It.
Autograph Your Work With Excellence.~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2007, 05:26 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am with you all - - - WHY????

I don't think this will catch on - - - even when they realize they aren't selling and have to mark them down to "only" 20 bucks - - - I doubt anyone will buy one. They are ridiculous - - - I like to actually be able to flip the pages and look at the pictures
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2007, 05:44 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Wow! That does seem kind of large! I will have to go by M's & see what they actually are offering in the way of paper to go with it!

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2007, 06:02 PM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

I'm having issues filling up my first 8x8 album... (no kids, just DH and I for 3 years now)... i can not imagine the madness of 10 more inches BOTH WAYS! *faints*

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2007, 07:10 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

I saw these today for the first time and laughed when I saw the size of the scrapbooks. It is NOT RIGHT!

Anyway, I bought quite a few things at Michael's today, but not one thing in this line was anything I had to have.

I do like the way that everything coordinates, but I prefer Stampin Up paper, ink, etc. that coordinates.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Debbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2007, 07:19 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

My guess for the 18x18 album is a territorial thing. Not a lot of cardstock options available for 18x18, so they have a corner on that market. Buy the album, you'll have to buy her paper too, or else do some paper quilting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2007, 07:23 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilo.Hotel
I am with you all - - - WHY????

I don't think this will catch on - - - even when they realize they aren't selling and have to mark them down to "only" 20 bucks - - - I doubt anyone will buy one. They are ridiculous - - - I like to actually be able to flip the pages and look at the pictures

No no.....according to Martha Stewart, Inc, Michael's is not allowed to offer sales or allow customers to use a coupon on her merchandise. Her merchandise will always be full price.

Martha doesn't have enough money already that she could give the customers that helped her amass her fortune and build her company a break.:-D :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2007, 07:29 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I browsed the new "Martha" offerings at Michaels for the first time today. I thought the line overall was beautiful, understated and interesting.

The 18 x 18 albums are massive - and while I don't have plans to purchase one, I thought they would be useful for portraits... ( I don't leave them in frames forever, eventually they go in an album that's just portraits. I've limited the size I purchase just so they'll fit 12x12. An enormous portrait album would make a fabulous coffee table book!)...and for artwork. Many times I've had to take a photo of work my children have done and save that instead of the original. An album that size would have saved lots of neat projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2007, 08:47 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

We went and looked at the Martha display today. My BF thought they were kind of neat (18x18 albums)...but thought maybe the largest scrapbook should be maybe 15x15....he was thinking that maybe now that Martha has done it, it may be a bench mark for other companies to try.

I think it's way too big...but still, am intrigued..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2007, 10:02 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Are you serious??? No coupons allowed!!!! That won't go over big with customers. I'm sure that will change with time if there are not enough generated sales. The Martha Stewart line has taken up alot of Michaels space and they don't give that much space unless they are sure there will be enough sales to make it worth it. I didn't see anything I had to have since I already own so much stuff. For new scrapbookers it may be more appealing.

I did buy one sheet of her cardstock only because a project I am designing needed a 17" piece of cardstock and I was racking my brain how to redesign my project. Now I don't have to.

Have a great week.

Blessings,

Diane Beckman

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol Lee
No no.....according to Martha Stewart, Inc, Michael's is not allowed to offer sales or allow customers to use a coupon on her merchandise. Her merchandise will always be full price.

Martha doesn't have enough money already that she could give the customers that helped her amass her fortune and build her company a break.:-D :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 03:47 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 260 Likes on 152 Posts

I went and had to look at them! I must say that I am not impressed at all!!
Too big and pricey!! I am not sure I would even buy one if I could use the coupon but no coupon? No way!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 07:32 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

I think $80 for an album is a little steep. It would be nice to put big items in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 07:52 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Default Are you kidding!!!

I've been waiting to check out her stuff, but $80 for an weird sized album??? Come on! I'll have to head down today after I do preschool drop off and see what all the fuss is about. Do you think that she'll be having people do projects with her products on her shows?

Melissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2007, 05:38 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Default I went to look at her stuff today as well

Well, I have to say that I am just lukewarm to her stuff. Not anything to rush out to get. I did buy some basic color mini envelopes for scrapbooking that are about 2 1/2x4 inches for $2.99. I believe I got 8 which is a good price. I also got three window type embellishments to try. Those were $2.99 as well.
I'm not sure who she is marketing to, but my guess is to upper middle class women who aren't really crafty, have a nice chunk of disposable income and the desire to decorate and do entry level crafts.
As for the 18x18 books. I actually do think they are nice. The right person could do amazing things with them and if I were really skilled with my scrapbooking I would get one if the price were to come down. You could put kids art work, documents,etc on those pages. I'm assuming she will have guests on her show do projects other wise those will bomb rather quickly for many reasons, price being the main reason.
I do like her tissue paper flower bouquet. If I were having a party I would get the set and make them.
Hum.........(long pause) I'm just not sure how long she will last at Michaels. Funny that the stuff is made by EK Success, but you'd never know it unless you looked on the back of the package on the very bottom.
The one thing that the line does have that I found interesting is that each package has a holepunched tab along the bottom so that all of the items can be stored in a ringed binder to keep safe. Very cool in my opinion.

Melissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2007, 11:24 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Yeah my eyes just about bugged out when I saw how huge those large scrapbook albums were. I think they could be really cool for a book about kids with their art work or like someone else said - portraits. I myself cannot imagine actually scrapbooking in a format that large. I am still relatively worried about12" x 12" as I've only done little books. I bought three punches and some glitter. I also really liked the tissue paper bouquet set but I don't really see a reason for buying it. I'm not sure what else of hers I would buy but I thought some of the stuff was pretty, just not my style.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2007, 02:14 PM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

I also laughed when I saw the book! I was telling my freind that was with me.. "do you want to see pics of my kids, let me get THE BOOK!" lol. You could crush your gannys knees with these! and I would need to get my mom a really big purse to put the book in if she wanted to show people pics of the grandkids! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2007, 05:11 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Martha's stuff---Not all that great

I have to say, I was dissapointed with the new stuff. Don't get me wrong the colors were nice and so was the coordination but it took the creativity out of making things. I also was not impressed by the albums. They are just too big for me. I do think that the large cardstock paper will be very useful for making the pages for a mini book (accordian). This would eliminate having to piece the paper together. I really liked the ribbon storage holders she offers but I won't be buying anything if you can't use a coupon. I think it is ridiculous that she isn't allowing coupons on her stuff. I don't think her stuff will last long. It is a little too hoity toity for Michaels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2007, 05:59 PM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawaiianshells
I'm having issues filling up my first 8x8 album... (no kids, just DH and I for 3 years now)... i can not imagine the madness of 10 more inches BOTH WAYS! *faints*
ROTFLMBO!! Mercy, can I relate!!! :rolleyes: No way can I pay $80. for a book, then have to spend $$ to fill it up!

I went over today and enjoyed looking.. and she has *everything*! I do love her colors. Nothing I have to have though. I did buy her 1" scalloped circle punch. I'd rather pay $9.99 for it + tax, than order online and pay shipping too. Yeah, I'm cheep!! :rolleyes: Guess that makes me a *genuine crafter* as I've heard Carol Duvall say many times. To me, a crafter is one that brings found objects together to make something nice, with a little of the good stuff made for the craft.

I'm glad Martha has arrived at Michaels! They've sure cleaned up their store and brought in new stuff other than MS. *That's a GOOD thing!* :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2007, 06:10 PM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melissa Hannant
Well, I have to say that I am just lukewarm to her stuff. Not anything to rush out to get. I did buy some basic color mini envelopes for scrapbooking that are about 2 1/2x4 inches for $2.99. I believe I got 8 which is a good price. I also got three window type embellishments to try. Those were $2.99 as well.
I'm not sure who she is marketing to, but my guess is to upper middle class women who aren't really crafty, have a nice chunk of disposable income and the desire to decorate and do entry level crafts.
As for the 18x18 books. I actually do think they are nice. The right person could do amazing things with them and if I were really skilled with my scrapbooking I would get one if the price were to come down. You could put kids art work, documents,etc on those pages. I'm assuming she will have guests on her show do projects other wise those will bomb rather quickly for many reasons, price being the main reason.
I do like her tissue paper flower bouquet. If I were having a party I would get the set and make them.
Hum.........(long pause) I'm just not sure how long she will last at Michaels. Funny that the stuff is made by EK Success, but you'd never know it unless you looked on the back of the package on the very bottom.
The one thing that the line does have that I found interesting is that each package has a holepunched tab along the bottom so that all of the items can be stored in a ringed binder to keep safe. Very cool in my opinion.

Melissa
She's wasted no time! Today (May 1st) she showed off her new craft room for her tv show. It is highly organized w/ nothing but MS product. She made a few of the projects from her line. She said she'll soon have a segment to teach YOU how to organize YOUR craft room! So ya'll get ready... we should all have a Martha craft room. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2007, 06:27 PM   #25  
Inking Addict

I would probably buy one if and only if another company makes one. They would be good for newspaper clippings or someone who is very into genealogy, but I will not support Martha Stewart. Sorry but I can not support someone who ripped off millions of people.

My Blog

Designs By Jean

Go Denny Hamlin # 11

Go PSU Nittany Lions
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2007, 07:48 PM   #26  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

[IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51352&d=1178074887[/IMG]

Jami took this picture of me on Sunday at a Michaels up in Long Beach ( I think) just so we could compare the size of this puppy.........it's HUGE!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2007, 07:58 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Valerie11
[IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51352&d=1178074887[/IMG]

Jami took this picture of me on Sunday at a Michaels up in Long Beach ( I think) just so we could compare the size of this puppy.........it's HUGE!
Y'all went to MICHAEL's????? WHY oh WHY did I have to leave so EARLY????

That is one big album! The paper's pretty - I petted it on Monday afternoon, and came home with some in 12x12 (and a few other things, too!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2007, 08:17 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

I won't be buying one, but the scrapbook I have from when I was a kid is about 15x20. It's pretty big, and full... of "stuff" (report cards, clippings, etc.) not pics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2007, 08:18 PM   #29  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Is there a link showing this new Martha stuff on the web? I don't have time to go to M's right now.
Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2007, 07:55 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

http://www.marthastewartcrafts.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2007, 08:17 AM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

I just went to the Martha Stewart website. I have to say that I was not impressed with what I saw. Maybe it needs to be seen in real life to be appreciated. We only have the "unworthy" Hobby Lobby in our town, so I'm not sure when I will get to a Michael's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2007, 10:04 AM   #32  
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

I cannot stand Martha Stewart but I have been planning on putting all my left over photos in one album divided into seasons,holidays,vacations,beach etc with photos from my childhood through the present all together in the sections.

I think an 18X18 might be perfect for that and use up a ton of photos. It would make a great coffee table book. Not sure if I would buy one though just cause it is her line of stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2007, 10:06 AM   #33  
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sairabee
I won't be buying one, but the scrapbook I have from when I was a kid is about 15x20. It's pretty big, and full... of "stuff" (report cards, clippings, etc.) not pics.
I have two of those from when I was in high school(gasp). I have one for the grandkids now to put things in that I do not put in my albums.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2007, 10:09 AM   #34  
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernStorm
She's wasted no time! Today (May 1st) she showed off her new craft room for her tv show. It is highly organized w/ nothing but MS product. She made a few of the projects from her line. She said she'll soon have a segment to teach YOU how to organize YOUR craft room! So ya'll get ready... we should all have a Martha craft room. :rolleyes:
When she starts doing everything herself I might listen to her. Or better yet just ask her to lend me her crew.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2007, 10:33 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

I saw this stuff last Sat and my girlfriend told me that my eyes just bugged right out of my head when I saw that scrapbook. I could not believe the size of that thing. HUGE - the book had weight to it. How heavy would that thing get? Do I need to get a cart and a coffee table without a load restriction? It was just mind boggling! Shoot - my 12 x 12 gets heavy enough.
I didn't see anything that I couldn't live without.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2007, 10:37 AM   #36  
Inking Addict

$80????? What. I saw it on one Tivo recorded Martha, but I didn't know it was that much. That's crazy. Plus, I would need to buy a bigger coffee table to actually us it. I know it won't fit on a bookshelf.

Plus, I kind of feel a sense of accomplishment with each page completed. It would take so long to finish each page, and I just need to feel little victories along the way. I like Martha, but I'm with you guys I don't think it's going to work well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2007, 10:59 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

I saw the stuff last Friday when I was down in Long Beach for Stampmania 4. I too, thought the 18x18 albums are ridiculous, but what really made me laugh was looking at an example page on the front of the packaging showing a single photo on a page - what a waste. If I want to show off a large photo, it would go in a frame on the wall. Most of us have 12" cutters, which would not work on the 18" papers; I guess you just slap them in there whole, or buy her extra large cutters. Even as a coffee table book, too big for us average folk. I also thought many of the items are overpriced - the kind of things I would buy on sale or with a coupon. The one thing I thought was smart is the squared off punches, making them easy to store standing up on a shelf.

~ Kathy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2007, 06:18 PM   #38  
Embossing Fanatic

I would like that size for artwork or collages, but that price is out of this world! That is just obscene that she would charge that much. You can get large sized portfolios from the Container Store for less than 1/2 that. That's what I use for artwork and they work well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2007, 06:44 AM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Do I need to get a cart and a coffee table without a load restriction?

ROFLMAO!!! Good one, MrsEknoid!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2007, 08:54 AM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

We used this size scrapbook in a sorority I was in during college. This size worked well getting pics and info on an event without taking up too many pages. It is pretty hefty when filled though and usually set out on a table of its own so it doesn't have to be moved much. Since there are no page protectors for this size scrapbook, your stuff is open to the elements.
Reply With Quote Likes