Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #1961  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cutting letters on cricut with scal

I am trying to cut "labels" for my husband and am using scal with my cricut. the letters cut ok but I cannot get the remainder vinyl off without moving, tearing etc the words. Does anyone have any tips? thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #1962  
Embossing Fanatic

Joann's will let you use coupons on Cricut accessories such as blades, mats. This month all Cricut accessories are on sale so you can't also use a coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #1963  
Gabfest Goddess

Really! I wish I knew that before I bought Cricut mats at Michaels for regular price. Great to know though, as I want at least two more sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 05:50 AM   #1964  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Quote:

Originally Posted by davesgramView Post
You are welcome. Would love to see what you come up with!
I finally figured it out!!!!! It only took two weeks (not every day and many many pieces of cheap paper).

Here is a layout I have ready for our trip to Key West in May..
Attached Thumbnails
Cricut FAQ-key-west-layout.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #1965  

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
Wow, you cut that out with a cricut?? That looks really really good!!
Thanks Gale. I got the idea from a lady's blog but could not figure out how to make them. I have something similar (?sp) that I bought at CK convention and they were $5 for 1 12x12 page. So I kept at trying to figure it out. The left side is a little different than the right but I will be happy with it. The sand, water and sky are just torn 12x12 pieces of cardstock.

I'm happy with how it came out. Now onto making more pages.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #1966  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessdi69View Post
I finally figured it out!!!!! It only took two weeks (not every day and many many pieces of cheap paper).

Here is a layout I have ready for our trip to Key West in May..
Great layout! Success!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #1967  
Glitter Guru

It looks great, Diana!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 07:05 PM   #1968  
Cardstock Collector

I am looking at getting MTC, now I understand that it works with your computer to your Cricut. Almost like DS. I have DS, full version. How do you cut with MTC, if you don't have the right cartridge? Like with DS, you need the cartridge that the user used to design it with. GWIM? Or, you just don't need any carts...and that sounds too good to be true! Do you need both to run your Cricut?

I am looking for places that have shapes, like lables, fancy edging, scallops and such.

Also, looking for stamps to edge these and or shapes that stamp into the cut outs.

Thank You!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #1969  
Cardstock Collector

Thumbs up

Thank you above poster! This site was very nice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #1970  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessdi69View Post
I am in need of some guidance. I am trying to make something like this, but I am a little confused. Does anyone know of any blogs that could help me with the instructions on how to make these "overlays". I looked on youtube but didn't see anything.

I think I have all the tools for this. My dh bought me the teal expression for Christmas and I just bought myself the jukebox at michaels for 9.99, plus I have the design studio. However, I do not own a gypsy. Do you think this will matter not having the gypsy?
was the michaels jukebox a real special deal or something? I'm wondering if I really need one or not. It will allow me to cut images from different cartridges (ones I have in the jukebox) on the same page right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #1971  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamps&carsView Post
was the michaels jukebox a real special deal or something? I'm wondering if I really need one or not. It will allow me to cut images from different cartridges (ones I have in the jukebox) on the same page right?
Using the jukebox allows you to use multiple cartridges without having to change them out. It is supposed to prevent you from having to hotswap (changing cartridges without turning your cricut off). I hotswap all the time and never have a problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2011, 06:31 PM   #1972  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmtinsleyView Post
Using the jukebox allows you to use multiple cartridges without having to change them out. It is supposed to prevent you from having to hotswap (changing cartridges without turning your cricut off). I hotswap all the time and never have a problem.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2011, 12:59 AM   #1973  

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamps&carsView Post
I bought the jukebox at Michaels for 9.99 a couple weeks ago when they had the carts on sale for the same price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 02:44 AM   #1974  
*I stamp, therefore I am......*

do not know if this is old news but want to know if anyone has tried refreshing their cutting mats in this way!!! Subsc ribing to thread to see what you experts have to say!! How to Refresh a Cricut Cutting Mat | eHow.com
today is a gift, enjoy every minute....

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more. ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 08:14 AM   #1975  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by NANCYRUTHView Post
do not know if this is old news but want to know if anyone has tried refreshing their cutting mats in this way!!! Subsc ribing to thread to see what you experts have to say!! How to Refresh a Cricut Cutting Mat | eHow.com
A lot of the time just the washing process reactivates the glue on the mats and that is all you have to do. I haven't used the spray before, but if the washing process doesn't work I have used the Tombo Removable or Permanent liquid glue and have placed a small amount over the mat and it becomes nice and tacky again. It is another cheap and easy way. I also have a mat that I put a larger portion of glue on to make it very sticky. I use this mat for cutting fabric.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2011, 10:20 AM   #1976  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just got a Cricut Expression for Christmas. LOVE it, but I'm having an issue cutting through cardstock. It's tearing and ripping which is starting to drive me nuts.

It's not just the intricate flowers that are causing this - I've had this happen on regular letters like the phrase "thank you"

I've tried multiple cuts, speeding it up, slowing it down, turning the blade up to 6, and it either A) doesn't cut through completely or B) rips the paper and makes the item useless.

I've used Bazzill and Papertrey cardstock. I also had a piece of PTI cardstock peel as I pulled it off the mat (and the mat has been used and I wouldn't have considered it as being sticky enough to do that.)

I don't think I've made enough cuts with it to need to replace the blade or the mat. What do you suggest?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #1977  
Gallery Gazer

I had many of the same issues when I first got my Cricut E last year, other than I have never tried to cut the PTI cs with it. I followed other's suggestions to put in a new blade and that eliminated the problem. Maybe the blades that ship with the Cricut are not the same quality as the ones you purchase? I know it doesn't make any sense, but try it and see. HTH!
K.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deiparaView Post
I just got a Cricut Expression for Christmas. LOVE it, but I'm having an issue cutting through cardstock. It's tearing and ripping which is starting to drive me nuts.

It's not just the intricate flowers that are causing this - I've had this happen on regular letters like the phrase "thank you"

I've tried multiple cuts, speeding it up, slowing it down, turning the blade up to 6, and it either A) doesn't cut through completely or B) rips the paper and makes the item useless.

I've used Bazzill and Papertrey cardstock. I also had a piece of PTI cardstock peel as I pulled it off the mat (and the mat has been used and I wouldn't have considered it as being sticky enough to do that.)

I don't think I've made enough cuts with it to need to replace the blade or the mat. What do you suggest?
Present Blog

(Old Blog)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #1978  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile Cardstock tearing

Quote:

You are using great quality cardstock, so that's likely not the problem. One thing you didn't mention: changing the pressure via the pressure wheel. I've had success with turning down both the speed and the pressure and then using multicut to cut twice. Your description, though, almost sounds like there could be a burr on the needle or the needle was dulled somehow. I would try a new needle. One final option is purchasing the deep needle housing (its blue). I love mine and I've had fewer issues with cardstock and paper since I got it. Might be worth a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #1979  
Matboard Maniac

What is your pressure set at? That can also play into the ripping problem, although cardstock usually works well with the pressure set at med or high. The other thing that I have tried is taking the blade out of the casing and using my finger nail to scrape off anything that might be stuck on the blade and causing it to tear. Other then that trying a new blade could also let you know if it is the blade or not. Good Luck & HTH.

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #1980  
Embossing Fanatic

I have a question about how long people have had their Cricut Expressions? Someone on a list said that most of them only last 3 years and you are lucky if it lasts 4 years. Anyone have one that has lasted longer?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #1981  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pamela PalmView Post
I have a question about how long people have had their Cricut Expressions? Someone on a list said that most of them only last 3 years and you are lucky if it lasts 4 years. Anyone have one that has lasted longer?
The expression has only been out 3 or 4 yrs I think. I got my baby bug in Dec. 2006 and the expression wasn't out then. I have an expression now but my baby bug still works fine. I think it would depend on how much it is used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #1982  
Embossing Fanatic

I got my Expression in Feb. 2008 so it is almost 3 years old. They had been out awhile then, but I don't know how long. I don't use it everyday, sometimes it sits idle for a month at a time, so I'm hoping it will last. Although, sometimes it does seem like it's noisier when it cuts than it used to be, and occaisionally the carriage doesn't go back to where it belongs when I unload the mat and I have to push it back with my finger.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2011, 12:14 AM   #1983  
Inking Addict

Smile Cardstock tearing and not cutting right

Quote:

It seems like everything I have cut this week has torn or not cut completely. It's enough to make you tear your hair out. I am using a different cardstock than usual, but it should have been fine. The paper weight was about the same. I like to cut the 3D flowers from SVG Cuts and I've run out of the paper that I used originally for them. Now I'm trying to find the right combination to use all this great colored cs that I have accumulated (Bazzill, Paper Co, etc.). Cleaned the blade housing, changed the blade, speed and pressure, even checked to make sure the blade isn't caddywhompus in the housing when loading it and used a new mat.

So, I took a break for a day and came back to it this afternoon. Time to play again when I'm not so frustrated with it. Of course, I did take out this really wicked looking letter opener that I have and had a serious discussion with my E to the tune of, "you too can become toaster chips if you don't behave!" I actually got a whole card done tonight and everything cut really well. My little pep talk might have worked. Next step - I'll reset it to factory defaults if I need to.:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2011, 02:57 AM   #1984  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmtinsleyView Post
The expression has only been out 3 or 4 yrs I think. I got my baby bug in Dec. 2006 and the expression wasn't out then. I have an expression now but my baby bug still works fine. I think it would depend on how much it is used.
On the first page of this forum, someone mentions that they first came out in 6/07 if that helps. Also, I've had mine from the beginning and have had no problems with it, but I also went for a couple of years without using it, so a lot would probably depend on useage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2011, 05:34 AM   #1985  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pamela PalmView Post
I have had mine since the summer of 2008. Mine is working just the same now as it did then.

I would imagine one factor of the machines not working as long is if it is moved a lot (this is just a guess, I don't know this for sure.) For example, is it brought to crops? Is it stored in a closet and removed for use? Even if a person is careful, it might disturb some of the components inside or something in the computer portion of it.

The biggest factor I would imagine is how much it is used. My cricut can go for weeks w/o any cuts at all and then I use it a lot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2011, 06:33 AM   #1986  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Gypsy freebie - Smiley Cards - crashes!!

I'm very frustrated right now. I really wanted to use the free "cartridge" Smiley Cards that you get if you register your Gypsy but every time I try to access it the program crashes. Anyone else have this happen? Any suggestions? I can't use it without the Gypsy since it is one of those that is only on the Gypsy. I really wanted to make cute cupcake signs for the school bake sale! Help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #1987  
Stazon Splitcoast

Jenn and Karen, thank you so much for the suggestions! I went and bought new blades tonight and then tried it out with the speed on Low, pressure on Medium, and 3 Multicuts and it's working!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #1988  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Jenn and Karen, thank you so much for the suggestions! I went and bought new blades tonight and then tried it out with the speed on Low, pressure on Medium, and 3 Multicuts and it's working!!!!
Yea!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #1989  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

So happy to hear it! Have FUN!
Present Blog

(Old Blog)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #1990  
Pearl-ExPert

Question Cricut Vinyl - repositionable?

Is the Cricut vinyl repositionable? Can I put it on a wall and then remove it and put it somewhere else. Or is it stuck to the wall permanently?:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 07:39 AM   #1991  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftyteaspoonView Post
Is the Cricut vinyl repositionable? Can I put it on a wall and then remove it and put it somewhere else. Or is it stuck to the wall permanently?:confused:
As far as I know it is not repositionable, but can easily be removed, if done within 2 years, from the wall in order to paint or put a new saying up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #1992  
Inking Addict

Default Repositionable vinyl

Quote:

I have cut a good bit of vinyl with my Expression, especially for Christmas - snowflakes and a greeting for my patio window and gold snowflakes on my fireplace and wall. When taking down the vinyl it was nearly impossible to do so without stretching the piece out of shape, or sticking it to another part of itself. While you may be luckier than I was in removal I am not sure it is possible to get the vinyl back into the original shape to position correctly in a new spot. My DH worked for a sign shop two years ago, he says that the longer vinyl is in one place the more chance the adhesive can separate too. (This can be removed from surfaces with a gum eraser - did that succesfully!)Just my opinion though - if someone's come up with a good way to do this I would love to know about it. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 05:08 PM   #1993  
Die Cut Diva

Default "tic" marks wont cut with Sure Cuts Alot

I am trying to cut a SVG file using Sure Cuts Alot on my Cricut. The "tic" marks for folding wont cut. Want am I doing wrong?

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 11:36 PM   #1994  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampnf1nView Post
I am trying to cut a SVG file using Sure Cuts Alot on my Cricut. The "tic" marks for folding wont cut. Want am I doing wrong?

Bonnie
Is it possible that the "tics" are on a different layer? Check the toolbar for the layers folder and see if there are additional layers. I don't use the tic - marks, I delete them on my SCAL files and use a Scor-Buddy to make my folds. I don't know of any other reason they might not cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #1995  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandyh124View Post
I have cut a good bit of vinyl with my Expression, especially for Christmas - snowflakes and a greeting for my patio window and gold snowflakes on my fireplace and wall. When taking down the vinyl it was nearly impossible to do so without stretching the piece out of shape, or sticking it to another part of itself. While you may be luckier than I was in removal I am not sure it is possible to get the vinyl back into the original shape to position correctly in a new spot. My DH worked for a sign shop two years ago, he says that the longer vinyl is in one place the more chance the adhesive can separate too. (This can be removed from surfaces with a gum eraser - did that succesfully!)Just my opinion though - if someone's come up with a good way to do this I would love to know about it. :-)
thank you! I was hoping to be able to make some quotes and easily move them around -- like some of the vinyl words you can purchase in stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #1996  
Inking Addict

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #1997  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandyh124View Post
Is it possible that the "tics" are on a different layer? Check the toolbar for the layers folder and see if there are additional layers. I don't use the tic - marks, I delete them on my SCAL files and use a Scor-Buddy to make my folds. I don't know of any other reason they might not cut.
I will check this out. I hope layering is the problem

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #1998  
Pearl-ExPert

I thought I could use all my cartridges with the Cricut Design Studio. I wanted to cut the teacup from my Wall Decor and More cartridge but that cartridge is not on the design studios list. What the heck?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #1999  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

I thought I could use all my cartridges with the Cricut Design Studio. I wanted to cut the teacup from my Wall Decor and More cartridge but that cartridge is not on the design studios list. What the heck?
Have you updated your library?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #2000  
Gabfest Goddess

Wall Decor And More | My Cricut Scrapbooking

scroll down some and you will info about 5 Design Studio Font packs.
Reply With Quote Likes