Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-23-2015, 08:38 PM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are all such enablers! I ordered every one of Ken Olivers bottles x2 and from Dick Blick all the brushos that were available. Both orders have already shipped! I cant wait to play with these. Do you all use regular cardstock for these two mediums?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2015, 02:07 AM   #42  
Forum Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 19 Posts

The more the merrier ;)

Look at post #8 - my class doc lists the kinds of papers. I use water color paper, Bristol, and canva-paper. If you only put a few grains and a light mist of water, you could use cardstock but as you know, cardstock paper is not the best when you're using a lot of water.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2015, 05:41 AM   #43  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 223 Likes on 198 Posts

Thanks so much Ladies, for your kind comments about my card. So fun to play with!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 05:22 AM   #44  
Forum Fanatic

Pink success - I tried to make a pink powder using the white powder and the results were less than satisfactory. The white has a chalky look and the colors were off. The solution "for me" was to use literally 1-2 grains of the color crystals with a lot of water. How many crystals depends on the size of the crystals - the bigger the crystal the more color you will have. I mixed it first and then painted it on. I was also able to do direct-to-paper but the results were not always as predictable as pre-mixing. Some of the reds are really more a coral color. I like Color Burst Aliz. Red and Brusho Rose red as they are actually a pink.

I'm still working on a a magenta/fuchsia color. So far all I have are variations of purple:?

HTH
Attached Thumbnails
Bisters-color-burst-pink-sample.jpg   Bisters-bister_brusho_pinks.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 07:19 AM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 489 Likes on 362 Posts

I found the Bister Scarlet gives a nice pink when you add quite a lot of water. See my card here:

Five Triples by susanbri - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I have both Bister (made in the Netherlands) and Brusho (made in England) - love the muted colours of the Bister and the vibrant colours of the Brusho. Here's a card where I used both blue Bister and Blue Brusho on the same card:

A Fairy Living on the Edge by susanbri - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I like the way the Brushos come in little plastic pots that you poke a hole in so I transferred my Bisters to similar pots. Using them like a salt shaker keeps the powder under control and lets you limit how much you get on the paper.

I have several more examples in my gallery, as do calex and hobbydujour. Depending on whether you use a coated cs (which is what I like best for it) or a watercolour paper, you get really different results.

It's my new favourite mixed media product to play with!

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 07:40 AM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Do you all use regular cardstock for these two mediums?
I wouldn't use regular cs as I use a lot of water with mine. Watercolour paper is good but the mediums soak into it more and gives a more even coating of colour. I prefer a coated cs (not glossy cs, just slightly coated like the specialty Bister cs - it has a slight sheen and is water resistant) as that is how I saw the European stampers using it - the mediums and water float on top and give wonderful effects - it's best to let it air dry naturally for the effects. If you dry it with your heat gun, it pushes the wet colour around too much. Here's a couple of other examples from my gallery:

Allowed to air dry:

Changing the World by susanbri - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

This one I dried with my heat gun:

Winter Green by susanbri - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Both were done on a coated cs.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 07:51 AM   #47  
Forum Fanatic

[QUOTE=susanbri;20934736] nice cards - TFS

I like the way the Brushos come in little plastic pots that you poke a hole in so I transferred my Bisters to similar pots. Using them like a salt shaker keeps the powder under control and lets you limit how much you get on the paper. QUOTE]

I've moved all my Brusho and Blisters to shaker jars. I tried the punch the hole in the Brusho jar and if they tip over they can spill out the crystals.

Dini also has a great solution by switching over to the squeeze jars like the Color Bursts come in. I wish I had thought of this before switching to the shaker jars. Maybe I'll make a change in the future but for now I'm loving having all the Brusho & Bisters. I have one of the Color Bursts but I need to check on their other colors to see if they are a duplicate of the Brushos. Like you I love this medium.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 01:18 PM   #48  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Hmm�

I'm not sure I get why the color burst are being compared to a dry watercolour product. From what I could tell, Ken Oliver's sprays are no different from Dylusions or other mists. Why are they anymore like dry watercolour than any other mist?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 01:44 PM   #49  
Die Cut Diva

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca EdnieView Post
I'm not sure I get why the color burst are being compared to a dry watercolour product. From what I could tell, Ken Oliver's sprays are no different from Dylusions or other mists. Why are they anymore like dry watercolour than any other mist?
Color Bursts are dry pigment powder: What are Color Bursts from Ken Oliver

Ken's World in Progress: 5 Completely Awesome Color Burst Techniques with Ken Oliver
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 02:43 PM   #50  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Pink success - I tried to make a pink powder using the white powder and the results were less than satisfactory. The white has a chalky look and the colors were off. The solution "for me" was to use literally 1-2 grains of the color crystals with a lot of water. How many crystals depends on the size of the crystals - the bigger the crystal the more color you will have. I mixed it first and then painted it on. I was also able to do direct-to-paper but the results were not always as predictable as pre-mixing. Some of the reds are really more a coral color. I like Color Burst Aliz. Red and Brusho Rose red as they are actually a pink.

I'm still working on a a magenta/fuchsia color. So far all I have are variations of purple:?

HTH
You did it! The pinks are perfect. I really like the is Azalea Crimson pink. Love your card, so pretty.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 02:48 PM   #51  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanbriView Post
I wouldn't use regular cs as I use a lot of water with mine. Watercolour paper is good but the mediums soak into it more and gives a more even coating of colour. I prefer a coated cs (not glossy cs, just slightly coated like the specialty Bister cs - it has a slight sheen and is water resistant) as that is how I saw the European stampers using it - the mediums and water float on top and give wonderful effects - it's best to let it air dry naturally for the effects. If you dry it with your heat gun, it pushes the wet colour around too much. Here's a couple of other examples from my gallery:

Allowed to air dry:

Changing the World by susanbri - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
This one I dried with my heat gun:

Winter Green by susanbri - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Both were done on a coated cs.
Beautiful work Susan. Your album is packed with such gorgeous cards. I do like the results after drying with the heat gun. The results appear to be a little lighter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 03:23 PM   #52  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,142 Likes on 516 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca EdnieView Post
Yep - the sprays you're seeing are being custom-mixed - and a little of the powder goes a long way in a spray bottle... no settling either. I made up a bottle of brown-ish spray to satisfy my need for more neutral colors. Pretty fun stuff!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 07:36 PM   #53  
Watercolor Wizard

Default More on Bister and Brusho

Hi all, I think most of the info has been posted on using Bister and Brusho. Hermine Koster https://herminesplace.wordpress.com/ is blog you really should check out, her work is amazing
Like Susan these are my favorite mediums to use at the moment, as you will see if you check out my gallery. The only additional comments I'd like to make are

Think about is Masking
Here are a few masking techniques to preserve white space for stamping.

Liquid masking rubber is great if you have an image you want to keep the water color off, used on the butterflies in the card below.
explosion of colour from one ink by calex - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Masking sheets (eclipse/friskit) work well for large expanses, the big circle, then stamped the owl.
working on my bister technique by calex - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Undiluted bleach for just removing most of the colour and then re colouring with pens (xmas stocking)
Merry Monday Challenge #150 gifts by calex - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Stenciling pastes or gels (Karen Dunbrooks amazing card)
IC485, MIX112, Abstract by k dunbrook - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
and my take on it
IC485, MIX112, Abstract by k dunbrook - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

You can also add it to the embossing pastes to add colour.

Finally I am also a fan of using it on coated card, I love the way it runs over the surface rather than sink in. It seems as though coated it's not easy to get. Susan and I are fortunate to have a paper distributors near by which sells it.
For those that live in Canada check out Spicers (web address below), they have an open to the public section and sell off cuts, you might come out with more card stock than you expected.
Pacesetter - Spicers Canada
I really like the one listed below, which is one of their thicker coated cards.
Pacesetter silk 130# cover

Christine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 09:07 PM   #54  

I have a pad of Yupo paper I haven't opened up yet... I need to try it soon!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 09:18 PM   #55  
Watercolor Wizard

Yupo sounds interesting, still trying to understand waterprooff paper for watercolours. Let us know how it goes. I almost ordered some from Dick Blick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 09:24 PM   #56  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,017 Likes on 870 Posts
Default Bister

I love the Bisters- I bought mine at I Brake for Stamps. I am in a Yahoo group (Enjoy Michael Strong) and the European ladies told us about them.... I had fun and made a card I would love to share- applying the Bister thru a stencil- loved the way it turned out :
'Bister'ed thru a Stencil by mcschmidty - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I will have to check out the brusho- if it comes in brighter colors- that would be great for summery cards : )

Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 09:53 PM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcschmidtyView Post
I had fun and made a card I would love to share- applying the Bister thru a stencil- loved the way it turned out :
'Bister'ed thru a Stencil by mcschmidty - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Shelly
Love your card - would love to know how you did it - did you turn the bister into a spray, and spray over the stencil?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2015, 06:10 AM   #58  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Update: I ordered my ColorBursts on 3/23, and they arrived yesterday, 3/25. I only paid for standard shipping. Absolutely fast order picking and shipping from Doodlebug. So glad to have heard of them here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2015, 06:17 AM   #59  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by calexView Post
Yupo sounds interesting, still trying to understand waterprooff paper for watercolours. Let us know how it goes. I almost ordered some from Dick Blick.
Yupo is, to my mind, more of a plastic than a paper! I have seen it used with great results with alcohol inks. Personally I never bought any because you cannot heat emboss on it -- literally the plastic/paper melts and shrivels up when the heat gun is applied.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2015, 06:54 AM   #60  
Matboard Maniac

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I am addicted. I bought Bister, Brusho and Color Burst. I keep them (Brushos and Bister) in a plastic container like tupperware and inside a ziplock lg bag. I have high humidity also but I like your idea Dina. If only I could do that without winding up like klh54 with it all over my floor! (gray rug) I have been looking for online classes using these products. Any interest Dina ?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2015, 07:08 AM   #61  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by cilla16View Post
I am addicted. I bought Bister, Brusho and Color Burst. I keep them (Brushos and Bister) in a plastic container like tupperware and inside a ziplock lg bag. I have high humidity also but I like your idea Dina. If only I could do that without winding up like klh54 with it all over my floor! (gray rug) I have been looking for online classes using these products. Any interest Dina ?
For some good Brusho classes, here's a link to the first of four YouTube videos on Brusho by Eileen Goodwin:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NoPRhVOeiIY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You'll see the other three listed with the first one. You'll learn four different techniques.

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 04-17-2015 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: added embed code
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2015, 07:24 AM   #62  

Quote:

Originally Posted by cilla16View Post
I have been looking for online classes using these products. Any interest Dina ?
Oh, there's interest, but no time! We have a few ministry and family trips to take over the next few months and then a potential move cross-country this summer... maybe when life settles down. There are so many applications with these, and I haven't even started into mixed media yet!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2015, 08:16 AM   #63  
Forum Fanatic

You can find Bister videos at Stampinback - they aren't in English but you can tell what she is doing just by watching.

I bought the Brusho Secrets e-book and I enjoyed it but it is more for water color artists so I'm not recommending it even though I liked it. If you Google Joanne Boon Thomas you will find more videos and a lot of tips.

Ken Oliver has tutorials on Color Burst

Pinterest has a lot of information on Brusho & Bister and if you search Ken Oliver Color Burst powders you a few hits.

The bottom line is that these are water colors that happen to be in powders so you should be able to use them the same as any other watercolor when it comes to techniques. I would imagine that if we were to pulverize other dry water colors they would act close to the same as these.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2015, 08:52 AM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

You can find Bister videos at Stampinback - they aren't in English but you can tell what she is doing just by watching.
Here's the link for the Stampinback videos referred to in the previous post:

TUTORIALS

I've watched them and I agree with stamphappy1650 - they are easy to understand even though they are in Dutch. I learned a lot from them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2015, 08:58 AM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

And if you can speak French, here is an excellent video (even if you can't, you'll probably get something out of it just by watching what she does):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bGb7t7kQ4Jc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It is by a member of SCS - Nathalie Fournier, known as magouille on SCS.

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 04-17-2015 at 05:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2015, 10:00 AM   #66  
Matboard Maniac

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all for the links to tuts on bister and brusho!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2015, 10:29 AM   #67  
Stazon Splitcoast

Serendipity! Magouille on SCS just posted this card:

Bister & Runway by Magouille - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

And links to a video showing how she did it (and this time, uses subtitles instead of speaking in French so no language problems with this one):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uXhfMq8EDLk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 04-17-2015 at 05:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2015, 11:12 AM   #68  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I bought the Brusho Secrets e-book and I enjoyed it but it is more for water color artists so I'm not recommending it even though I liked it. If you Google Joanne Boon Thomas you will find more videos and a lot of tips.

Ken Oliver has tutorials on Color Burst

Pinterest has a lot of information on Brusho & Bister and if you search Ken Oliver Color Burst powders you a few hits.

The bottom line is that these are water colors that happen to be in powders so you should be able to use them the same as any other watercolor when it comes to techniques. I would imagine that if we were to pulverize other dry water colors they would act close to the same as these.
Fantastic eBook, I just purchased it, and downloaded the sketches & pictures. I can't wait to dive into my Brushos, they just arrived! I'll have to check out Ken's Brusho videos, love that man! DH having yet another surgery, so will have to wait until after his preop appointment this afternoon.

Although I thought the book was a little pricey, after downloading it looks like I've gotten my monies worth! Thanks for the info. You ROCK girl!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2015, 12:11 PM   #69  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnecardsView Post
Fantastic eBook, I just purchased it, and downloaded the sketches & pictures. I can't wait to dive into my Brushos, they just arrived! I'll have to check out Ken's Brusho videos, love that man! DH having yet another surgery, so will have to wait until after his preop appointment this afternoon.

Although I thought the book was a little pricey, after downloading it looks like I've gotten my monies worth! Thanks for the info. You ROCK girl!
Glad to help and hope your DH is ok.

I only bought one of the Color Bursts ( alz. red) because I have all Brushos and I think they might be duplicate colors. Our LSS now has Color Bursts so I'm going to take my color chart to the store and see if they are the same or very similar so I don't waste money.

More later
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2015, 06:55 PM   #70  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,017 Likes on 870 Posts
Default Bister

Back again- thanks for the comments on the Butterfly card on the Bister background thru a stencil.

Susan, I laid down the stencil and secured it (with Washi) over watercolor paper.... Sprinkled on granules of the bister, spritzed it with H2O. Place a 2nd piece of watercolor paper on the top of the stencil so as not to waste any of the stain : ) And if you still have alot/excess liquid, place a paper towel over the top of your work.- it will absorb the excess ink.

Next, lift the stencil off the paper, let it completely dry and finish your card.

I have to watch all of these video's that have been posted. There are many more ow than when I ordered the Bister.

Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2015, 07:06 PM   #71  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcschmidtyView Post
Susan, I laid down the stencil and secured it (with Washi) over watercolor paper.... Sprinkled on granules of the bister, spritzed it with H2O. Place a 2nd piece of watercolor paper on the top of the stencil so as not to waste any of the stain : ) And if you still have alot/excess liquid, place a paper towel over the top of your work.- it will absorb the excess ink.

Next, lift the stencil off the paper, let it completely dry and finish your card.
Shelly
Thanks so much, Shelly. I'm going to try that.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2015, 11:12 AM   #72  
Stazon Splitcoast

This is SCS at its best: Stampers willing to share links, ideas and suggestions., Thanks so much for taking the time to share your talents with others. It makes my day.
DO U KNOW?
BRAK members love to send SCSers cards on their birthdays? Come join us.

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there
is no path and leave a trail." ... Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2015, 11:40 AM   #73  
Embossing Fanatic

Great deal on Brushos today on Amazon.com,the 24 set is only 40.00(plus small shipping charge from UK) which is a bargain!
You may notice the 12 set is 72.00 which doesn't make any sense. If you are thinking of buying them this is the lowest price I have seen since buying mine last year for 48.00 US. plus shipping. Amazon changes its pricing regularly so this price may not last!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2015, 12:43 PM   #74  

Great price! There is a set of 8 Autumnal colors (or something like that...) those are the new ones.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2015, 08:02 AM   #75  
Kookie Creator

Thanks for posting abut Brusho inks. This thread reminded me that I purchased a set a few month ago. I made a few spray inks but have not used them much , sine. After reading this thread, I dug them out to try direct to paper and wow! I was so impressed by the vibrant color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 04:46 PM   #76  
Insane Embellisher

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

What have you found to be the best cardstock to use; watercolor, glossy or something else?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 05:41 PM   #77  
Watercolor Wizard

Pacesetter silk 130# cover
It depends on the effect you are looking for. Water colour and regular card stock the colour is absorbed quickly, coated card it can run across the surface and is absorbed slowly. I prefer coated. I brake for stamps sell coated card stock from Holland, well worth trying so you can see what your preference is.
These are the types of card stock I use, but I am lucky to have a wholesale paper distributors in my city who sell to the public.
Pacesetter - Spicers Canada
Discovery silk 100#
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 07:28 PM   #78  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Brushos

I also like Strathmore Mixed Media paper for Brushos,Bisters and ColorBursts,great for watercolor effects.
You can buy pads of it at Michaels quite reasonably priced,especially if you use a coupon.
Just picking up a pack of the 8 set of newer Brusho colors tomorrow.
Brushos now come in 32 colors, and each one has very slight variations of other colors appearing after the water is mixed or sprayed in. Having now seen the difference, whereas the Color Bursts only come in 6 regular colors and the Brushos come in 32 colors(with variations) and the Brushos work out to abut half the price by weight I would totally recommend the Brushos. The only down side is that Brushos have limited distribution as they come from the UK and the Color Bursts are more easily available.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2015, 03:45 AM   #79  
Forum Fanatic

When I taught my Bister/Brusho class I found that attendees really varied on what paper they preferred.

Watercolor paper - worked the best for taking the large amount of water
Bristol Smooth (drawing paper) - took a fair amount of water with no buckling
Bister paper (glossy heavy cardstock) resulted in more muted colors and can handle the water
Glossy Cardstock - not acceptable as it really buckled with the water
Canva-Paper - handled the water well and has a nice texture (my personal fav)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2015, 11:06 AM   #80  
Insane Embellisher

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Thank you so much; I knew there had to be other choices because I could not get the pretty thin runs people were getting when I used watercolor paper.
Reply With Quote Likes