Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-07-2007, 01:02 PM   #41  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my Bigshot. Everything I have can go through with no problem. I bought mine off of Sizzix with lots of things included. My favorite thing about this machine is that it takes a larger piece of paper. I have both the c'bug embossing folders and a set of Texturz from Sizzix and I much prefer the c'bug because the embossing is much deeper. They are a bit more expensive because you get 6 patterns with Texturz - but the depth is not there. I'm looking forward to Cuttlebug coming out with more EF. I love the fancy corner set. One of the cards in my gallery was made by cutting one of the corners out and layering. Can't do that with the Texturz. I think it is all in the preference. My husband is going to see if we can purchase some thin acrylic pieces so he can make me some more for the sandwiches. I'm not positive how long they last and mine is getting pretty scratched up. I put 140 pieces of card through and boy it was fast, fast, fast. I'm blessed to have a perfect spot to store mine and all of the pieces that go with it so size wasn't a factor for me. I do have a suggestion that when you figure out the recipe for a different company's dies and EF, write it down and keep it with your multipurpose platform.

Now I have a question - how do you use the Fiskars embossing sheets? They look too big to go into the machine. Also, do they have a nice deep impression. (I really don't think I want to hear this - I can here the $$$'s running out my front door )

Also, I think Ellison has always owned Sizzix because the sign outside the building says Ellison. I think they merged on the website because so many people were inquiring about using the Ellison with the Bigkick. There is also going to be a warehouse sale on the 15th and 16th in Lake Forest starting at 9:00 until I believe 5 each day for those who live in this area.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2007, 03:05 PM   #42  
Compulsive Stamper

i'm still confused on how to sandwich my cb folders thur my big shot? i can get the emboss on the front but it is also on the back and i can't get the right thickness each time. thanks for any help,sorry i'm a slow learner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2007, 04:15 PM   #43  
Insane Embellisher

It takes practice. What I found was to use the multipurpose platform CLOSED then lay the c'bug EF with the card on top of that and then put the purple impressions pad (that's the hard pad) on top and run it through. If you don't want the entire card (front and back) to be embossed, open your card up and place the front under the embossing folder. Now this can't be done if there is a definate direction to the EF. I find that then I have to put the embossed card on as a layer. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2007, 05:41 PM   #44  
Compulsive Stamper

Smile

thanks i'll go try again
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2007, 05:46 AM   #45  
Matboard Maniac

I use the Fiskars texture plates the same way I use the Texturz plates in my Big Kick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2007, 05:47 AM   #46  
Kookie Creator

Default big Shot

I saw the Big Shot in one of the Local Craft stores on Monday night.

Check out my blog:
http://addictedtostamping.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2007, 06:37 AM   #47  
Stampin' Fool

Hi again gals. Ok, I played w/my new toy yesterday evening.
There were some quirks I found out and that lead me to believe I'm not doing this quite right. The starter kit does NOT come w/very good instructions --- IMHO!! So glad I have SCS!!

OK.......lots of questions follow!!!

When I embossed, using the one plate that comes w/the starter kit (BK), I ended up w/a faint outline of the actual plate. I'm guessing I had one too many layers in the "sandwich"? However, when I tried to put it through on the platform using one less layer, the image wasn't very raised/crisp. KWIM?
Do most embossing plates have two sides to them? If so,then how do you use brass plates.........they would only have the one side.
I noticed that this embossing plate appears to be affixed to the folder w/some tape. Is this how it is done? The kit came w/some apparent tape tab things. (How's that for a lousy sentence? LOL!) Hope you know what I'm trying to describe. If you do have to tape them to the folders, do you just keep the embossing plate in the folders. In other words do you purchase more of the clear plastic folders, tape your plates to that and then just store them together that way? Or do you take them in and out of the folder each time? Is it correct that the acrylic cutting plates/mats get all cut up each time you run something through the machine? If so, I take it they will eventually wear out or break? Anyone know?
I also had a problem when feeding in the entire sandwich w/the top plate raising up at an angle near the 1/2 way (cranked through) point. I thought I might break the machine if I continued to feed it that way. Anyone else have a cutting pad/plate that lifts up and is this normal? Anyone break one of these plates?

OK ...........that was a ton of questions. :-)
TIA for any answers.

Hope you are all out there having fun w/your toys.
I am looking forward to getting the shipment from Sizzix so I can play some more. Right now I am VERY limited w/what came w/the machine.

Thanks again everyone!
Cheers,
Stacy
Stampin' blog here
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2007, 10:51 AM   #48  
Insane Embellisher

Stacy - I wish I knew how to use the colored print along with going directly to your questions and answer some of them. But here goes. The brass stencils from Sizzix are attached with little glue tabs - both the positive and negative sides - so that you can gently pop them off the folder and move them wherever you want to place them on your paper. You need to leave the stencil inside the folder. When I pop them out, and replacement them I stick the clear piece down first then lay the brass piece on top and carefully close the folder to keep the brass piece from sliding. You can purchase extra folders if you would like. The extra glue tabs so that when they lose their stickiness you can replace them - or when you accidently ball them up which is what I do occasionally. There are instructions on the Bigkick "pages" which help you with the sandwiches for different items such as the brass embossing folders. If you open the platform completely it shows you what to do - first place one plastic piece, then your stencil with the paper inserted and then the last cutting pad and run through your Bigkick. You might have to add a shim (a piece of paper) under the entire sandwich if you don't get a good enough emboss. The cutting pad gets cut up when you use the die cuts as they are very sharp to cut through different thicknesses of paper. This will not happen with the embossing folders from Sizzix or other companies.

I'm not sure what is happening to you with regard to the cutting pad lifting up. I know that you should test to see if it will go through easily - if not you need to play with the equipment until it will go through easily. One piece of advice I read I believe on SCS is too thin first - you can always add shims (papers). I hope I've helped some to enjoy your new toy.
Reply With Quote Likes