Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Big Shot by Ellison no longer available? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/big-shot-ellison-no-longer-available-252611/)

shastess 05-28-2007 07:12 AM

Big Shot by Ellison no longer available?

Is the big shot by ellison no longer available since they bought out sizzix? Is the Sizzix Big Kick the same thing? It seems like the same thing? I am trying to decide which to buy the Big Kick/Big shot or the cuttlebug, I read the blog under the cuttlebug post and it helped but I still need input I was just going to get a sidekick to compliment my sizzix and call it good but then I started reading and it seems like I could get a cuttlebug or big kick and get rid of my sizzix since it seems they can use all sizzix dies and such? Help what do I do? If big shot is no longer available that at least narrows my decision down to big kick or cuttlebug ~ which is still a big decision.

speanburg4 05-28-2007 07:22 AM

You will get lots of opinions from lots of people. This is just my opinion. I got the Big Shot and love it!! I have a couple friends that tried it and loved it. So they went in search of their own. One bought the Big Kick from costco.com, and is very happy. The other couldn't find either one, so she bought the Cuttlebug. She was very unhappy with it and took it back within two weeks. She is now going to order the Big Kick, from costco.com. That is the cheapest place I have seen them, when they have them in stock. But they do not carry either one in stores, only online. Good luck with your decision!!

Thorvall 05-28-2007 07:27 AM

The big shot and big kick are the same thing just different colors. I had a bug for 2 days and took it back, I love my big kick and I got mine from Costco.

Mahloumel 05-28-2007 07:33 AM

The Big Kick package from costco.com comes with a multi purpose platform that lets you use every type of die with the machine. So, while the BK from costco may cost more than you can get a CB with a coupon, it also comes with more accessories (also some dies and an embossing plate) and is extremely sturdy and comfortable to use. I have a Big Kick and enjoy using it, and am very happy with my investment.

frankie 05-28-2007 07:37 AM

I have a Cuttlebug and LOVE it! I've used a Big Kick a ton in the past and chose to buy the Cuttlebug -- no regrets and no problems. Something to consider is that cutting pads for the Big Kick/Big Shot usually have to be ordered 'cause not many places actually carry that line -- Cuttlebug stuff can be picked up at Michael's, Joanns' or Robert's.

amysings 05-28-2007 08:06 AM

The Cuttlebug is smaller. For me, that's a *plus*! I like that I can stick it up on my shelf easily, and just as easily pull it down when I want it. I am tempted by the greater sturdiness of the Big Kick/Shot, but I am sticking with my Bug because of its smaller footprint.

annheidel 05-28-2007 08:13 AM

Actually, AC Moore recently started carrying the Big Kick and accessories, plus a ton of dies. :) It replaces the original Sizzix stuff they used to carry.

I went through the same dilemma as you. I saw a demo for the Cuttlebug and decided to go for the Big Kick because it's sturdier. (my kids use it sometimes) It's not very heavy, so it's easy to move to where I need it. Good luck on your decision! :)

stampin'momma 05-28-2007 08:29 AM

I have the big shot and LOVE it. Yes it is big and bulky but you can put more than one die at a time in it. I have the old style sizzix fun serif alpha and I can do a whole word with one pass. Go to costco.com and get the big kick, they are the same. Enjoy.

jtax 05-28-2007 08:35 AM

love my cuttlebug! It's my first die cut/embossing machine, so I really have nothing to compare it to, but have been very happy with it!

annebarc 05-28-2007 08:48 AM

Big Kick is terrific

:p I love my Big Kick. It does do the large Sizzix dies but I still kept my original Sizzix machine to use for those. Even though the Big Kick cuts just fine with the old dies, I find the sandwiches a bit cumbersome and the old Sizzix is just easier with those bulkier dies. But the Big Kick with the Sizzlets is terrific! especially the alphabets. You can cut several letters at the same time with the Big Kick. I find I use my alphabets more now. I love the fact that I can use all of the Cuttlebug folders with the Big Kick as well. It is a very sturdy, stable die cutting machine. I would recommend it without reservation. And, yes, AC Moore does carry the Big Kick now along with the accessories and many new dies to go with it. Love the clear dies for placement on cardfronts.

racechair 05-28-2007 09:06 AM

I just want to emboss. Which one would you siggest? I have the cricut for die cutting. I love that I can change the setting and get a different size of any image.

ShirleyT 05-28-2007 09:16 AM

BigKick

I just got the bigkick after breaking my cuttlebug. I really liked my cuttlebug however it was not very strong. I love the bigkick. It does the same thing as the cuttle bug but I feel it is a lot stronger and I guess that is what I need. It is bigger than the cuttlebug so if you have limited space you might want the cuttlebug. Both products do the same thing but my vote would be the bigkick. I also purchased mine from Costco.com and it was here in two days. Costco has free shipping.

Mahloumel 05-28-2007 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racechair (Post 5930113)
I just want to emboss. Which one would you siggest?

For embossing with the thicker texture plates I would suggest the Big Kick. From what I've read, using the Fiskars texture plates for example can strain the CB beyond its limits.

racechair 05-28-2007 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel (Post 5930275)
For embossing with the thicker texture plates I would suggest the Big Kick. From what I've read, using the Fiskars texture plates for example can strain the CB beyond its limits.

Thanks.

I have noticed the Micheal's here by my work has all the sizzix stuff on clearance, like they aren't going to carry it any more. Hmmmmm.......

Mahloumel 05-28-2007 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racechair (Post 5930405)
Thanks.

I have noticed the Micheal's here by my work has all the sizzix stuff on clearance, like they aren't going to carry it any more. Hmmmmm.......

Glad I could be of some help. :) Your Mikes may be just clearing out all the Sizzix products with the old packaging. Sizzix recently revamped its look and has been trying to clear out all the older stock.

KathiR 05-28-2007 10:20 AM

My understanding is that Ellison brought out the Big Shot then bought Sizzix. The machines are the same except for the color and that Big Kick comes with the multipurpose platform.

The old Sizzix dies with the old logo are being discontinued, which is why they're being clearanced at Michael's and AC Moore. Big Shot dies are also being discontinued and/or being switched over the the Sizzix brand (they're on deep discount/clearance at Sizzix' website).

New dies and old dies with the new Sizzix logo are available now.

I love my Big Shot and love that it can cut Sizzlets, Sizzix, Big Shot thick & thin dies, QuicKutz 2x2s & Grands, BossKut, Cuttlebug, ZipEMate, and Accucut thin dies and will also dry emboss all those textured plates and dies. (I have a bit of a diecut addiction problem).

I think it's a great machine and very, very sturdy!

Aznewmom 05-28-2007 11:34 AM

subbing............
I'm trying to decide on what machine to get for my mother's day gift. ;-)
Originally I wanted a Wishblade........something I could use w/my computer. These types of machines seem very pricey, even tho they do a lot. The other downside to them is they do not emboss. Once I saw a few embossed backgrounds, I was sold on wanting a machine that could cut AND emboss!
So, I guess I am down to the cuttlebug and the Bigkick/shot.
I do not have a lot of hand strength, and from what i have read, it sounds like the CB can move on you. I'm leaning toward the BK(S) right now.
I found this today:
Sizzix�
BIGkick™ Starter Kit

$76.99
Item # 174025
Shipping & Handling included

Sounded good. Esp inc S&H.
Anyone know?
This was at costco.com.

Have a great holiday ladies(those in the US that is!)
I'm off to go swimming and BBQ now.

Cheers,
Stacy
~~~ cookin' in Tucson

KathiR 05-28-2007 12:22 PM

Stacy,
That's a great price on the Big Kick, especially with the shipping/handling included. The Big Shot is HEAVY!

I have weak hands and wrists and have no problems using the machine.

Go for it!

shastess 05-28-2007 12:51 PM

I saw this at costco.com as well and even with tax and non-member surcharge the total is 82.53 or something!!! Definitely a good deal! Anyone want to buy an old sizzix? LOL My hubby said that I can get the big kick as long as I sell my sizzix.

propecia 05-28-2007 12:53 PM

Since you already have a Sizzix, why are you buying a different machine? I use sizzix, ellison & cuttlebug stuff all with my old sizzix machine.

debbiesdiecuts 05-28-2007 06:44 PM

I have the Big Shot, its the same as the Big Kick...I use all my regular Sizzix, Cuttlebug, as well as Big Shot stuff in the machine...I saw the Cuttlebug demo'ed at AC Moore and new I did not want the machine...but love all the dies and embossing folders for the Cuttlebug and they work great...I kept my old red sizzix for my grand kids to use...
hugs, Debbie

scrappin stamper 05-28-2007 08:03 PM

I have a sizzix and have wondered how the cuttlebug dies work in the old sizzix. Do you have to do anything special to get them to work?

dbrpuppets 05-28-2007 08:18 PM

Big shot rocks

I have the big shot and it is awesome. One of my favorite tools:-D .

propecia 05-29-2007 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappin stamper (Post 5935303)
I have a sizzix and have wondered how the cuttlebug dies work in the old sizzix. Do you have to do anything special to get them to work?

just use the adaptor you would use for the sizzlets and every cuttlebug item will work!

Aznewmom 05-29-2007 06:31 AM

Thanks for the input everyone!
Sounds good to me. I think I will forward the information to my DH.........he's at work right now.........and get it ordered. I don't want to wait anymore. I've been debating and debating on what I want to get for months now.
It's time to just order it!

Thanks again!
Cheers,
Stacy

jeanstamping2 05-29-2007 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shastess (Post 5929292)
Is the big shot by ellison no longer available since they bought out sizzix? Is the Sizzix Big Kick the same thing? It seems like the same thing? I am trying to decide which to buy the Big Kick/Big shot or the cuttlebug, I read the blog under the cuttlebug post and it helped but I still need input I was just going to get a sidekick to compliment my sizzix and call it good but then I started reading and it seems like I could get a cuttlebug or big kick and get rid of my sizzix since it seems they can use all sizzix dies and such? Help what do I do? If big shot is no longer available that at least narrows my decision down to big kick or cuttlebug ~ which is still a big decision.

Big Shot is being discontined! I'm pretty sure the Big Kick is suppose to replace the Big Shot.

I read about this one our TAC demo board. TAC also sells Big Shots.

mmferg 05-29-2007 02:13 PM

The Big shot is not being discontinued, it was just re-packaged by sizzix.

I just got one of the new hot off the press 'Sizzix Big Shot'. That what it says right on the package, and the new colors are blue and red, and the starter kit comes with different items then it did when it was Ellison.

I just got mine from Archivers this weekend, and I had to wait because Sizzix was re-packing the big shot, so there was a delay in shipments.

jeanstamping2 05-29-2007 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmferg (Post 5943720)
The Big shot is not being discontinued, it was just re-packaged by sizzix.

I just got one of the new hot off the press 'Sizzix Big Shot'. That what it says right on the package, and the new colors are blue and red, and the starter kit comes with different items then it did when it was Ellison.

I just got mine from Archivers this weekend, and I had to wait because Sizzix was re-packing the big shot, so there was a delay in shipments.

Mandy Thanks for clearing this up for me and others.

It was explain to us that it would be discontined..

Who knows...I'll have to wait and see.

Colleen Schaan 05-29-2007 06:46 PM

I wrote up a product review on the Big Shot for Craft Critique a while back...I just LOVE my Big Shot...but I know others who just LOVE their Cuttlebugs too...If you get the Big Shot and are planning on embossing, the Big Impression Starter Kit is a MUST! It comes with some texture plates (you can buy these separately), a hard plastic sheet, and a soft rubber mat. The soft rubber mat is ESSENTIAL if you want a nice deep embossed image. I have heard that these are hard to find though...

Have fun with your new toy...whichever you get.

Love Scrapping 05-29-2007 07:18 PM

I have the Big Shot and love it. I did purchase the Big Kick when it came out and took it back immediately! I was not impressed with all the moving parts.

dbrpuppets 05-30-2007 03:55 AM

Ellison and Sizzix have merged, for some great deals go to sizzix.com. I have no association with this site, other than being a customer. Get on their mailing list and they will let you know of specials. I purchased Ellison designs Curlie Girle and block party alphabet sets for $55.10 each:). Waiting for the next big sale to get additional items. They also had up to 75% off on sizzix alphabets sets. I did have to wait about 2 weeks for my order but it was worth it.

vicnvin 05-30-2007 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Love Scrapping (Post 5948881)
I have the Big Shot and love it. I did purchase the Big Kick when it came out and took it back immediately! I was not impressed with all the moving parts.

I talked to the Sizzix people at the CHA show, they told me that the Big SHot and Big kick are identical on the inside. They have different shells.

it'smefaith 05-30-2007 08:06 AM

Way too funny!!! Heavy, too Big, doesn't fit on a shelf, etc....lol..lol Have you seen some of the paper cutters these gals buy...:)

I have the Big Shot. Got it from Joanns online. It's great!! I do know alot of gals like the bug... but if you read around the threads, you'll find, some, have had problems with things breaking or some that have also bought the Big Shot and like it better than their Bug... go figure... If you have a local scrapbooking store nearby, (or a friend) some let you play with their machines that they have in their crop room, so you can get a feel if you like it or not. That's the best way, get your hands on each one. See what you like or don't like...

I also have a Wishblade, which I love... but there is also a learning curve... you are learning a computer program... It's fun, but no embossing... so I love my Big Shot for that and for fast & small cuts....

Good Luck and most of all have FUN!!

Faith
who has WAY TOO many fun stampin' & craft tools, wait, did I say too many.... there is always room (somewhere) for one more thingy....:D

Waldsb651 06-05-2007 05:47 AM

I hope that all you experienced ladies can help me. I just read this thread (over and over) and I think I must have a brain freeze, I'm still a little confused. A few months ago my DH bought me the Big Shot and I didn't have any time to play. Just now getting into using it and almost everything I find is talking about Cuttlebug. I found a thread that gives the "Sandwich Stacking Rules" for the Cuttlebug but can't find anything for Big Shot. I am hoping that someone has a cheat sheet that they are willing to share. I want to play more with my machine, but leary on taking that first step and breaking it right off the bat. Would rather have something to help me through. Thanks for any information you can provide.

FubsyRuth 06-05-2007 06:06 AM

I have a Big Kick which came with the Multi Purpose Platform which has the sandwich info printed on it (that was why I chose the BK over the BS). If you don't get the info you need from fellow Big Shot owners, then maybe consider buying the Platform for your Big Shot.

FubsyRuth 06-05-2007 06:13 AM

I've just seen that the Big Shot Multi Purpose Platform is on sale (50% off) at the Sizzix website!

http://www.sizzix.com/shop.cfm?funct...emNumber=23434

I'd really recommend the platform as it takes the guesswork and experimentation out of it - the platform has tabs so that you get the right thickness going through the machine - plus diagrams showing you how to make the sandwich.

jwjazz 06-05-2007 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propecia (Post 5931172)
Since you already have a Sizzix, why are you buying a different machine? I use sizzix, ellison & cuttlebug stuff all with my old sizzix machine.

The Big Shot and the Big Kick will accept the Bigz Dies and the Ellison Thick Cut Dies. Both machines allow you to use card size paper for your cuts and embossing. This is great to do window cuts in the front of your cards when using the Windows and Frames Set from Sizzix.

I have the Big Shot and really love it. It does a great job with the CB embossing folders. Since I have the Cricut now, I mostly use it for embossing and cutting chipboard.

By the way, Sizzix is having a great sale today. All of the Sizzix in the old packaging is marked way down as well as the Ellison Big Shot items. Today is Tuesday so there are even better deals on their Tuesday Teaser sale. I just bought $268 worth of merchandise for $88. Not bad. Great Christmas gifts. Example: The Window and Frame set, regular price $149.99 is now $37.50. You can't beat that.

Window and Frame Set:
http://www.sizzix.com/shop.cfm?funct...38-9684&row=28

See the entire sale here:
http://www.sizzix.com/shop.cfm?function=list&sale=1

vdoyle8 06-06-2007 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by annheidel (Post 5929703)
Actually, AC Moore recently started carrying the Big Kick and accessories, plus a ton of dies. :) It replaces the original Sizzix stuff they used to carry.
:)

I was at my local Michael's last night and noticed all their sizzix stuff is gone or one clearance. One of the employees told me she heard they were getting the newer sizzix stuff ...

snowmanqueen 06-07-2007 12:24 PM

I have the Big Kick and I can use my Fiskars embossing plates and the CB folders. I can also use the spellbinders dies. I am totally satisfied with the Big Kick. Creative Express has a lot of Sizzix dies on sale. I bought several from there.

Aznewmom 06-07-2007 12:37 PM

My new toy arrived last night!
It is BIG! I'm off to play w/it now.
I only have the things that came w/the 'kit'.
I'm starting to wonder if it was worth the extra money to get the starter kit.
???????????????????????????
There really are only 3 dies that came w/it.

In any case, it's paid for and here. Now to figure it out.
Oh .........and wait for the dies I bought on Tuesday to arrive.
Thanks for the heads up on that Jeannette! I probably spent too much $$$, but it was fun doing so. :-)

Cheers,
Stacy