Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-11-2011, 08:21 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow How much adhesive do you apply?

My daughter has always thought that I use too much adhesive when I'm applying layers, embellishments, etc.

I'm so afraid that the card will fall apart or the embellishment will fall off that perhaps I AM overdoing it.

I've finally disciplined myself to run adhesive on just the four sides of a panel. Is this an outrageous amount to use?

Do some of you just put dabs on each corner? Do you apply adhesive to the center of your "panel?"

What is your experience with the results? Have your cards fallen apart? Do the embellishments fall off?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks so much.
Beverly
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 08:36 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Some embellishments are best put on with glue dots, some papers are best put on with red sticky tape. I tend to put too much adhesive on myself as I don't want the card to fall apart. I use my pink ATG gun instead of snail. I tend to also use more when the card stock has been put thru an embossing folder too.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I can relate to what you said. I'm inclined to overdo adhesive, too. I also use a ton of tape when I'm sealing a box to mail, lol. I get boxes in the mail all the time that just have a couple of strips of tape and they got here in fine shape. But when I send something in the mail, I really "tape it up.".

I've tried to moderate and not use so much. On card layers, I use a strip all around the 4 edges, but nothing on the corners or middle. For something like a layered circle, I run about 3 strips, one each side and one in the middle.

I mostly use my ATG gun for all this, but use glue dots for things like buttons or flowers. When I attach a rhinestone that isn't self-adhesive, I use a tiny dot of Tombow mono-multi in the green and white bottle.

I think it helps to be sure to press the layers firmly after you get them laid down. I see folks on videos on youtube that just "slap" something on their card with a tiny dab of adhesive and that's it. I always privately think it probably falls off when the camera stops rolling.:mrgreen:

You've made me think about all this. Maybe how we use adhesive is a metaphor for life or personality, lol. I tend to be a person who plans stuff out and wants things to go right, with no surprises or screwups. That's probably how I approach cardmaking, too.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

LOL...bugga...you and I are two peas in a pod. My packages probably look like yours. I take that wide packing tape and go around several times and then go in the other direction. I'm always worried that I don't leave enough space for the stamps to get cancelled without the postal ink "sliding" off my tape!

Mary, that's a good point about being extra careful with card stock that has gone through an embossing folder. I've just recently started using EF and never thought about the high and low areas affecting how they adhere. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,074 Likes on 824 Posts

I use wet adhesive - Aleene's Tacky Glue. I do think that for layering, each layer needs to be stuck down all round, so if I were using tape I'd run it round all 4 sides. But I don't think the middle needs it, except maybe for the very top layer, and only if that's quite thin paper.
Things falling off - I've only ever had something like Dew Drops or buttons come off. Buttons are a thing of the past now I have a hot-glue gun. Sheesh, it was a nightmare getting them off my card on Monday when I wanted to do a remake. I did have problems with the special glue dots for vellum, they didn't hold it properly at all. So now I make the attaching it part of the card, either folding it around, using ribbon or eyelets, or concealing the glue strategically under something else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2011, 09:43 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with tape around all four sides. I don't think thats OTT,my pet hate is seeing corners lifting up because they were not stuck down. I always go with DST, never 'wet' glues. I use a tiny bit of silicone adhesive for small embellishments, or a glue dot for larger ones. As long as the adhesive isn't visible, then I don't think you are overdoing it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

At first when I used the scotch double sided permanent tape, I only had to use a bit on each corner, but since switching to a Tombo tape runner I have to use about 3 inches in every corner. Like an = sign with an extra line. I'm not sure if it's because it's a blue tape inside. These refills say The Craft Collection, and I don't think that they hold well unless you put on a lot of it, even though they're permanent. I don't remember having this problem with the refills that said Tombo Mono. They seemed way stronger.
For embossed panels, I might use Aleene's tacky glue (SO good at holding things together, plus you can readjust the layer as long as the glue is still wet). Or, I'll run the panel through the xyron. No amount of tape runner will hold an embossed panel firmly on, in my case.
I recently bought the red liner sticky tape and I am amazed at how strong that thing is. I used to use crystal effects as my extra strong adhesive, but waiting for it to dry was a pain. Now I use bits of the red liner tape and am very happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2011, 01:58 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I always say less adhesive is more. I tend to over adhesive too. I think it's because I live in a humid climate and I get paranoid things are going to pop off.

I don't glue the middle parts of my card. I just usually put adhesive around the edges.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I don't want my layers to fall apart either, so I tend to put more tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavioliGirlView Post
My daughter has always thought that I use too much adhesive when I'm applying layers, embellishments, etc.

I'm so afraid that the card will fall apart or the embellishment will fall off that perhaps I AM overdoing it.

I've finally disciplined myself to run adhesive on just the four sides of a panel. Is this an outrageous amount to use?

Do some of you just put dabs on each corner? Do you apply adhesive to the center of your "panel?"

What is your experience with the results? Have your cards fallen apart? Do the embellishments fall off?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks so much.
Beverly
Three rules of adhesives: Burnish, burnish, burnish! After adjoining the layers, rub over the areas with the adhesive with the side of a craft stick, the edge of a charge card, the side of a bone folder...any smooth surface that will apply pressure to that adhesive.

All adhesive have a cure time...including tapes and adhesive sheets (Xyron too). The bond is not secure until the adhesive has cured. Most PSAs (pressure sensitive adhesives) cure within 6 hours. Liquid adhesives (glues, paste, glue sticks, cements, etc.) can take up to 24 hours to cure. When applying liquid adhesives, apply in a thin, even coat...thin is best! Some adhesive lose strength if applied too heavily (Yes! is one of those).

Check to see if your library has a copy of my book, The Complete Guide To Glues & Adhesives. In addition to information about all the many types of 'stickies' we use, there are several projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2011, 05:50 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Nancy, I know I have said this before but everyone needs your book in their library. I read it before I became a member of SCS. It taught me so much about adhesive. I was so excited to see you post over here. I always think of your book as an essential tool book. I have always been one to burnish. When I use to glue things down my friends would tease me about burnishing the paper so much.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Totally cool that we have another published author on our site! I know there are more out there. Thanks so much for this info. I'll check out the library as well.

pixxiewacorgi mentioned that runner tape doesn't do a good job of holding embossing folder panels, etc. I sure hope my Christmas cards didn't fall apart. But I used an ATG and, boy, did it ever feel sticky. Kept sticking to my fingers. [Long story...don't ask. LOL.]

Thanks so much, everyone for your insight. I plan to come back and read the entire thread a second time...after Christmas. Have a Merry one!
Beverly

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftdesignsView Post
Three rules of adhesives: Burnish, burnish, burnish! After adjoining the layers, rub over the areas with the adhesive with the side of a craft stick, the edge of a charge card, the side of a bone folder...any smooth surface that will apply pressure to that adhesive.

All adhesive have a cure time...including tapes and adhesive sheets (Xyron too). The bond is not secure until the adhesive has cured. Most PSAs (pressure sensitive adhesives) cure within 6 hours. Liquid adhesives (glues, paste, glue sticks, cements, etc.) can take up to 24 hours to cure. When applying liquid adhesives, apply in a thin, even coat...thin is best! Some adhesive lose strength if applied too heavily (Yes! is one of those).

Check to see if your library has a copy of my book, The Complete Guide To Glues & Adhesives. In addition to information about all the many types of 'stickies' we use, there are several projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Totally cool that we have another published author on our site! I know there are more out there. Thanks so much for this info. I'll check out the library as well.

pixxiewacorgi mentioned that runner tape doesn't do a good job of holding embossing folder panels, etc. I sure hope my Christmas cards didn't fall apart. But I used an ATG and, boy, did it ever feel sticky. Kept sticking to my fingers. [Long story...don't ask. LOL.]

Thanks so much, everyone for your insight. I plan to come back and read the entire thread a second time...after Christmas. Have a Merry one!
Beverly
There's three types of tape for an ATG: Permanent; Removable; Repositionable. Permanent is super tack...immediate super and permanent bond; Removable is exactly that...the bond is not permanent and never will be; Repositionable allows for reposition of the layers...the bond becomes permanent following a certain amount of time.

The type of adhesive should be included on the label.

Athough an ATG does burnish the tape as it is applied, burnish Permanent and Repositionable by hand after applying to secure the bond.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Ok...I did buy the permanent. And, yes, I did "press down" with my fingers over the areas that I tapped. But, your wonderful intel has prompted me to think that I need to look for "repositionable." I noticed at Hobby Lobby that they had just two kinds: "general" and "archive safe." Something like that. I've seen threads on this site that discuss the pros and cons of ordering tape online, instead of paying the Scotch brand prices. I've been happy so far just using a 40% off coupon and stocking up whenever I'm able. On a good day, my hubby takes me and he buys a refill too, with coupon...who knew the man was interested in papercrafting? LOL. The clerks know me and they just laugh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Ok...I did buy the permanent. And, yes, I did "press down" with my fingers over the areas that I tapped. But, your wonderful intel has prompted me to think that I need to look for "repositionable." I noticed at Hobby Lobby that they had just two kinds: "general" and "archive safe." Something like that. I've seen threads on this site that discuss the pros and cons of ordering tape online, instead of paying the Scotch brand prices. I've been happy so far just using a 40% off coupon and stocking up whenever I'm able. On a good day, my hubby takes me and he buys a refill too, with coupon...who knew the man was interested in papercrafting? LOL. The clerks know me and they just laugh.
Burnish with something 'harder' than your finger tip...the back of your thumbnail is handy. Or...use the smooth cap from a bottle of water (soda, whatever)...stick your finger into the cap and rub the bottom of the cap along the area with the adhesive. The cap MUST have a smooth top, or you'll be leaving lines on the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2011, 11:43 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Nancy, I know I have said this before but everyone needs your book in their library. I read it before I became a member of SCS. It taught me so much about adhesive. I was so excited to see you post over here. I always think of your book as an essential tool book. I have always been one to burnish. When I use to glue things down my friends would tease me about burnishing the paper so much.
Dee Ann,

How very nice of you to say that! My deepest thanks. What a wonderful Christmas present that is for me.

Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Burnish with something 'harder' than your finger tip...the back of your thumbnail is handy. Or...use the smooth cap from a bottle of water (soda, whatever)...stick your finger into the cap and rub the bottom of the cap along the area with the adhesive. The cap MUST have a smooth top, or you'll be leaving lines on the paper.
Here's the post in my blog about 'bottle cap burnishing.'

PaperFriendly: Easy Does It: Free Burnishing Tool
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 07:57 AM   #18  
Inking Addict

Count me in the group that probably uses way to much adhesive. I guess I put so much becuase some of the cards I made when I first started did fall apart from to little adhesives. Guess I went too much the other way. :mrgreen: Thanks for the tips!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 10:37 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smile160View Post
Count me in the group that probably uses way to much adhesive. I guess I put so much becuase some of the cards I made when I first started did fall apart from to little adhesives. Guess I went too much the other way. :mrgreen: Thanks for the tips!
When I was doing research for the book, I asked manufacturers if they had tips I could pass along to the readers. Almost everyone said the same things: Read the label (now that's a switch for crafters!); select an adhesive best suited to the intended uses of the project; in most cases, the adhesive should be applied in a thin, even coat; burnish after adjoining the layers, clamp or apply weights to the layers if necessary; allow to dry, set and cure before excelssive handling; and last, but not least...store away from heat, direct sunlight, and cold in tightly capped containers. All products labeled Toxic should be used with caution (follow all instructions on the label) and should NEVER be used by children under the age of 16.

Also...when beginning a project, squirt a small amount of a liquid adhesive onto a disposable surface (paper plate, etc), reclose the container, use an applicator (craft stick, brush, toothpick, fingers, etc) to apply the adhesive to the surfaces. Sticking items into the container often results in contaminating the contents (moldy glue); keeping the container closed reduces evaporation (ultra, super thick glue).

Happy sticking!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 12:21 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Also...when beginning a project, squirt a small amount of a liquid adhesive onto a disposable surface (paper plate, etc), reclose the container, use an applicator (craft stick, brush, toothpick, fingers, etc) to apply the adhesive to the surfaces. Sticking items into the container often results in contaminating the contents (moldy glue); keeping the container closed reduces evaporation (ultra, super thick glue).

Happy sticking!!
I do this. I always put my liquid adhesive on a disposable surface. I like small lids. I think the lids give me the right amount. I admit it I use my fingers to apply adhesive. I think I can control the adhesive better where I want it to go.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 01:47 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just use the cheap Express It DST, I live in a humid climate, burnish lightly with my finger tips, and judging from what I'm reading I apply only half the adhesive as most of the respondants. Lol

I apply tape close to the edges on all four sides of a larger panel and just two sides of the smaller panels. Dry embossed pieces will get an extra strip somewhere in the middle and i'll rub the flat of my hand over it to burnish it lightly. I'm not skillful enough to trust my hand/eye co-ordination to use permanent tape. LOL. I eye up one side of my layered panels, lay the top layer down so it is resting on top, and then make any adjustments by pushing the edges of the CS with my finger nails. Once I am satisfied I'll press it down firmly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

I just add adhesive to the edges and if its a punched out shape i just put the adhesive everywhere and press down hard to make it stick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #23  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 822 Likes on 334 Posts

I'm so glad I came across this thread! I just got my first machine yesterday (Big Kicks) and I made a card with the embossed images I made. I didn't even think about how the raised portions would cause it to not stick as well. Duh me!

I use Tombo tape runner, all around the four edges. To attach charms, ribbon etc. I use glue. Yeah, I tape up boxes like crazy too - every single seam If a little is good, than a lot is even better. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Since starting this thread, I have come upon a new product. It's called "The Best Glue Ever." And that name is totally appropriate! It is sold by ScraPerfect. I gave it the ultimate test last week. I used it to glue leather letters whose "stickiness" had eroded over time. I've applied them in the last two weeks with regular glue type runner, sticky dots and Xyron machine. Nothing worked. I put just a few teeny tiny dots of the Best Glue Ever on and applied them to tin foil. They have stayed on and lay flat like a dream. This glue does it all. Permanent and re-positionable, machine wash and dryer...just all kinds of stuff. The video on their site is very informative.

Best Glue Ever by ScraPerfect | ScraPerfect

I am sold on this company's products. Their customer service is out of this world.

I'm sticking with [no pun intended] my ATG pink adhesive gun and The Best Glue Ever.

Beverly
RavioliGirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #25  
Cardstock Collector

Default It's more about what you use...

I have been a long believer in the fact that it is more about the type of adhesive you use than about how much you use.

One little zot under a small embellishment is usually enough. A couple strips of good tape runner on each corner are fine for most photos. One strip of thin double sided tape are perfect for strips of ribbon. Large pieces of paper work best with a liquid adhesive like Zip Dry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 04:48 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

I am a financial counselor and my nature is to be a saver. For me it is painful to watch new stampers or over adhesive users when I attend stamping events. I am thankful at shoe box swaps that you are responsible for your own adhesive. I see people putting tape all over the back of things that I believe putting adhesive in the corners would be plenty if it is quality adhesive. Thanks for sharing everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 04:58 AM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiggerificandiView Post
I am a financial counselor and my nature is to be a saver. For me it is painful to watch new stampers or over adhesive users when I attend stamping events. I am thankful at shoe box swaps that you are responsible for your own adhesive. I see people putting tape all over the back of things that I believe putting adhesive in the corners would be plenty if it is quality adhesive. Thanks for sharing everyone!

Andi,
I'm becoming an adhesive minimalist convert. These things take time to change. The only thing I worry about when NOT putting adhesive in the center of a panel, is that it will somehow "whomp" up or "billow" up...I don't know what word to use. I'm afraid it will "float" away from the card. So, I think I will always put a dab of glue or runner tape in the center.

And, yes, thank you so very much to all who have contributed to this thread!
Beverly
RavioliGirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 04:59 AM   #28  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 822 Likes on 334 Posts

Quote:

Since starting this thread, I have come upon a new product. It's called "The Best Glue Ever." And that name is totally appropriate! It is sold by ScraPerfect. I gave it the ultimate test last week. I used it to glue leather letters whose "stickiness" had eroded over time. I've applied them in the last two weeks with regular glue type runner, sticky dots and Xyron machine. Nothing worked. I put just a few teeny tiny dots of the Best Glue Ever on and applied them to tin foil. They have stayed on and lay flat like a dream. This glue does it all. Permanent and re-positionable, machine wash and dryer...just all kinds of stuff. The video on their site is very informative.

Best Glue Ever by ScraPerfect | ScraPerfect

I am sold on this company's products. Their customer service is out of this world.

I'm sticking with [no pun intended] my ATG pink adhesive gun and The Best Glue Ever.

Beverly
RavioliGirl
I was looking at an ATG gun while I had a 40% off coupon in hand the other day. I was seriously considering it until I opened the box to check out the size. That thing is huge!! :shock: I haven't heard anyone address the size. Is it at all awkward?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 05:36 AM   #29  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
I was looking at an ATG gun while I had a 40% off coupon in hand the other day. I was seriously considering it until I opened the box to check out the size. That thing is huge!! :shock: I haven't heard anyone address the size. Is it at all awkward?
LOL...it IS HUGE, isn't it? Very scary when you first see it. But, I had been warned on a thread. I am still in the middle of my "learning curve" for the loading of the refills. But, I will tell you that once you use it, you will love it. It holds so much tape and it seems like you go on forever before you have to change it and this is from a stamper who is just now starting to use LESS, so it should last even longer now.

I will not kid you though. I think loading that thing is going to drive me to the mad house one day. I never seem to get it just right and have to "fiddle" with it all the time. I know there is a huge thread around here someplace....maybe in "Tools and Product Talk" that addressed the pros and cons of the ATG tape dispenser. It would be worth your while to go looking for it. Hope this helps.

Beverly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2012, 01:33 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
I am left handed. I use the ATG with my right hand. I do find it a bit awkward. It's one of those tools that some just pick up like a prodigy. Then others kind of practice and fall into it. Others are like "I want my glue stick."

You definitely want to see if you could find one to practice with. I am not crazy about mine. I do understand the ladies and guys who can't part with theirs because the ATG is really nice. I have recommended it even though it's not a tool for me.

A quick story. I know a lady who works as a framer. She hates the ATG gun. She finds it big, awkward and annoying. She actually uses the ATG tape without the gun. Her framing work is impeccable. I have a friend who does his own framing for his work too. Can't live without his ATG. He uses the tape by itself and it's a disaster for him. Even framer's have qualms, gripes and loves about that gun.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2012, 07:50 AM   #31  
Compulsive Stamper

I got my red 3M ATG way before they made the pink craft store version. It is one of my favorite and most used tools. It isn't the least awkward after a little practice. I order my refills on-line; way cheaper than the craft stores.

I use the ATG--all around the sides--for paper layers, and 3M Quick-Dry adhesive for small pieces and embellishments. This glue holds even non-porous items well. I mail half a dozen cards every month to all parts of the country and have never had anyone tell me that anything was not properly adhered.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Thanks for the wonderful tips, especially Nancy! Since beginning card making slightly over a year ago - oh the things I've learned and still have plenty more to learn. I love SCS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftykarlaView Post
Wow! Thanks for the wonderful tips, especially Nancy! Since beginning card making slightly over a year ago - oh the things I've learned and still have plenty more to learn. I love SCS.
I''m older than dirt and have been doing this stuff forever, and I'm STILL learning! Think that's what I enjoy the most...the learning never stops.

BTW: I'm another one of those 'tape w/o the ATG' types. I can apply it twice as fast by hand as I can with the ATG. Just remember if you go this route, the tape must be burnished by hand to secure the bond.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Nancy- your not older than dirt. You are one of the wisest craft artist out today. Yeah! It's so nice to find another who applies ATG tape without a gun. I burnish it down like crazy too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2012, 07:12 AM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Nancy- your not older than dirt. You are one of the wisest craft artist out today. Yeah! It's so nice to find another who applies ATG tape without a gun. I burnish it down like crazy too.
DeeAnn...many thanks for those kind words. Nothing brings sunshine to a gloomy day better than kind words.

Last edited by craftdesigns; 02-03-2012 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2012, 04:02 AM   #36  
Crimping Master

I really like my scotch double sided tape. I would like to understand how the ATG works and what you mean by burnish since I have never used that device or adhesive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2012, 06:08 AM   #37  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiggerificandiView Post
I really like my scotch double sided tape. I would like to understand how the ATG works and what you mean by burnish since I have never used that device or adhesive.
ATG: Adhesive Transfer Gun. The adhesive tape used in the gun is a transfer tape...the tape transfered by the gun to a surface is covered with a protective covering paper (release paper) that is removed by the gun as the tape is applied. This is a double-stick tape...both sides of the tape are adhesive. Double-stick tapes, sheets and cut shapes usually have a release paper on one side and a liner on the other; these papers protective the adhesive and are removed when the adhesive is applied to a surface.

PSA: Pressure Sensitive Adhesives. These adhesive include single and double-stick tapes, sheets,and cut shapes. All must be burnished after application.

Burnish: Applying pressure to the area with the adhesive. There are very few adhesives that do not require burnishing after the surfaces are adjoined. Tools used for burnishing include a bone folder, point turner (sewing tool), smooth-top bottle cap (put your index finer in the cap to use), charge card, and craft stick (use the edge of either the charge card or craft stick). When possible, burnish both sides of the adjoined surfaces.
Reply With Quote Likes