Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-07-2010, 11:25 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Articulated or 'push pull' basics help please

When I was a child I remember some children's books had tabs on some of the pages, which if you pulled and pushed them they made certain parts of the page move. I understand that for card making they are called 'articulated' cards.

Does anyone have any idea how these types of cards are constructed? The basic design process.I really want to have a go at some, I love interactive cards and making these would open up a whole new world of fun for the recipients.

The only one I have found is on Martha Stewarts page, but its so long winded and slow I cannot get to grips with it, its a video, I'd rather have pictures to look at so I can look at them and work it out myself.

Many thanks
Janet
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had seen a few websites that were geared to pop-up cards that had some examples of the type of cards your looking for. Most of them use pivots and slots to make the elements move. One I can't find again that I particularly liked was two kids on a teeter-totter. If you google pop-up cards, you will probably find some information on the articulated cards, or even if you google "articulated cards" I'm sure you'll come up with something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 12:11 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,076 Likes on 826 Posts

You'll have to search the blog a bit but there are some great ideas in here - Extreme Cards and Papercrafting
I got a good book on paper engineering from Amazon a few years back and found it very helpful. I've used several of the techniques in card-making.
I'd also expect that you might get good results looking for interactive scrapbook designs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 05:25 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Pull tab mechanical cards

This type of mechanism is covered in depth by both Rob Ives (see his book here: Paper Engineering & Pop-Ups for Dummies - Google Books) and Duncan Birmingham (his new book is just out in Europe--I highly recommend it and it's available from Book Depository).

There are so many different variations that it's hard to give advice on how to make them. Feel free to email me if you have something specific in mind--I probably know how to make it.

Carol
Extreme Cards and Papercrafting

P.S. Try the search term "mechanical card"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2010, 02:01 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks everyone for your responses.
Carol, I already follow your blog and have used your pop up piano design as the base for my pop-up synthesizer card. I followed up a few weeks back to Duncan Birmingham, from your Blog, rather a pricey book unfortunately :o(
As Sabrina says, its the pivoting mechanism that I am looking for really.
I am also looking into making cards with an LED...a bit like the musical cards you can buy, but with a light instead of sound. There seems to be more info on that than mechanical cards on the net.
I'd buy a book, as suggested, but really I need to look through first to make sure it has what I am looking for in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2010, 05:52 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

If you go to the Google books link for Rob Ives book and scroll down to page 100 you will be at the section of pull tabs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2010, 06:02 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

...and the Birmingham book is available on Amazon for preview. Start with page 132.
Reply With Quote Likes