Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-24-2005, 10:06 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Target greeting cards

I was also scouting my Target today and happened into the greeting card section. I can't believe how many cards they have that are a very simple picture (flower, purse, birthday present) on a blank white card. I rarely make cards like that, I always think the card has to be full of "stuff". Many of these cards were darling in their simplicity! I do have to vent, though, for all those folks who have trouble selling their works of art at craft fairs, people will spend $2.50 or more for a little white card with a pink and purple present on it, but they won't buy handmade cards! Go figure! :?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2005, 10:13 AM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I always feel the same way, they'll pay an outrageous amount for a mass produced, generic, card..............but balk at the same price on a handmade card.

Valerie

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2005, 10:16 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

(aside) Valerie, I love your Calvin and Hobbes! And we have the same name!
Val (kingmontmom)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2005, 10:48 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Ha! Great minds think alike!!!!!

I was at Target today looking at the exact same cards thinking the exact same thing!!! Both sides of your comment too....that I forget to make the simple and people won't pay for homemade!!!!

Go figure....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 05:54 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Okay, after reading this thread it was top of mind tonight when I went to Target so I made a point of checking out the greeting cards.

You're so right. Though (and I'm now biased, lol) I still think you all can do better cards. With or without all the "stuff".

Tam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 06:02 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've never tried selling cards at craft fairs, but I have a pretty large family and had an open house displaying my cards in September. I received so many orders for Christmas cards and was thrilled that they actually realized the value of the cards (I was really afraid because most of them buy those boxes of 100 cards for $5 or whatever it is).

I took the time to explain what each card entailed (I had 3 different price ranges for my cards) and allowed them to customize certain aspects. I also had special offers - buy 10 cards (same value) and get 2 free. Buy 20 cards, get 4 free, plus a stamped memo pad. I also mentioned this at work and sold Christmas cards there too !!!

I just think that you have more of an opportunity when you have the chance to explain what it takes to make a card and get to work with the people on making it the card of their dreams !!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 06:38 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

I was at Target too looking in the greeting card section. I was looking for ideas for my secret sister. I haven't bought a card for so long that I had forgotten that there are simple cards out there that people spend way too much for.

So, I came home and got busy stamping. I've stamped some for my church--I have a group that gets together to make cards for the care ministry team--and something that I think is pretty cool for my secret sis. I want to post the stuff I made, but will have to wait 3 months to do so. Oh well, it takes me that long to upload anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes