Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-13-2023, 08:05 AM   #841  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,393 Posts

Good morning! DD2 had an early morning this morning, she started work at 5 am while I was still sound asleep. But, she'll get off work at 1 pm so there's that. We are all looking forward to the end of DH's fast this Friday. We are going to see Peter Pan this Thursday night and I was trying to talk him into ending his fast then but he is determined to reach 40 days. (Peter Pan is a theater production at one of the area colleges and a friend is in the play so I know that Tinkerbell will fly!)

Jean, my DH has lost about 25 pounds though that wasn't the point of his fast, just a side benefit.

That's too funny, Melody. You must have sugar on the brain! LOL I don't need to schedule sugary dates either, I like sugar too much. I have to try to avoid it.

Gracie, I understand the lack of control with cookies! When our microwave quit working, we didn't replace it because it took up too much counter room in this kitchen. I'd like to re-do the kitchen and I'd get the microwave that goes above the stove. We'd have to modify the cabinets to make that work currently. We did get a Ninja Foodie instead of a microwave and we like it but there are some things that are just easier with a microwave.

Wow, to all that ice skating, Ann. Congrats to your kids and grandkids. How fun to watch it. And your son did a lift? That is so cool.

Yes, DH will ease back into eating. I'm not sure what his plan is but I should find out so we have the right things on hand.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by cdimick:
annsforte3 (11-13-2023), jan31 (11-13-2023), JRHolbrook (11-13-2023)
Old 11-13-2023, 08:45 AM   #842  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 4,224 Likes on 1,849 Posts

I just read an article about America's least favorite side dishes for Thanksgiving! I was surprised at the results! So what are your least favorites?

Mashed potatoes and gray came in at number 7!! No way! Love mashed!
And over 31% do not like green bean casserole!

For me it would be the strange ways some stuffing is made or the weird jellied cranberry sauce, you know the one that comes out of the can in the same shape as the can!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by annsforte3:
jan31 (11-13-2023), JRHolbrook (11-13-2023), muscrat (11-13-2023)
Old 11-13-2023, 10:59 AM   #843  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Anyone know someone that might like to be a moderator on the site? They are still looking for a few people!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2023, 11:56 AM   #844  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,939 Likes on 2,203 Posts

Least favorite??? Hmm. I guess it would have to be cranberries. I do not like cranberries so I don't like cranberry sauce in any form. I'd be okay if they left out the stuff into. My favorites is the turkey first and I really love homemade mac and cheese. Mashed potatoes and gravy is always great. I like sweet potatoes but my family does not. Mom used to make candied sweet potatoes but I just like mine cooked first and then fried in butter and seasonings. I also love baked corn if it's my own frozen corn. We didn't do corn this summer because we still have a lot left from last year.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by muscrat:
annsforte3 (11-13-2023), jan31 (11-13-2023), JRHolbrook (11-13-2023)
Old 11-13-2023, 12:01 PM   #845  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

You are making me very hungry, Kathy!! Oh I so love sweet potatoes! Mashed, baked, and chips too!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
JRHolbrook (11-13-2023)
Old 11-13-2023, 12:08 PM   #846  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 3,129 Likes on 972 Posts

My family never had mac & cheese for Thanksgiving, but I don't think I would like that as a side. I'm not a real big fan of sweet potatoes, but I do love sweet potato fries. There was a restaurant on Calhoun & Capitol that served them with marshmallow cream for dipping - so yummy.
Melody ~ Isaiah 40:31 Come join the Alphabet Challenge My GOD can do amazing things. Ephesians 3:20 gallery ~~ blog lilacs and butterflies
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by lacyquilter:
annsforte3 (11-13-2023), jan31 (11-13-2023), JRHolbrook (11-13-2023), mcschmidty (11-16-2023)
Old 11-13-2023, 03:08 PM   #847  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 3,797 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Truthfully, I have never eaten candied yams or sweet potatoes...putting marshmallows on sweet potatoes just doesn't make sense to me. My Grandma liked the store bought candied yams so that's what we had. I was once given a recipe for sweet potatoes that I was guaranteed to love....nope, not so much. Just not my thing. We ate at a newer restaurant here this morning and I had a sweet potato pancake. It was made with a purple sweet potato called ube. It was quite good. Maybe they can make flour out of sweet potatoes??
I never liked my Mom's cranberry relish but I'll eat it now. I like cranberries in cookies and bread. Just had some cheese with cranberries....yum. On my way up here, I passed the Ocean Spray factory. Wisconsin is a big producer of cranberries. Some day I'll go to a cranberry festival, now that I live closer to cranberry country.
I have a recipe for 'from scratch' green bean casserole....much much better than the soup one. Basically you make your own mushroom soup. You're even supposed to deep fry onions for the top but I don't mind the french fried onions and it sounded messy to me to deep fry them.
I'm adding some photos from here. The little gold trees are tamaracks, a wood known for snow shoes. Earlier in the fall, they are golden and simply glow. The pup is Scout, wearing her little boots.
Attached Thumbnails
Alphabet Challenge Round 19 Chat 6-7 thru 11-29-2023-20231112_113627.jpg   Alphabet Challenge Round 19 Chat 6-7 thru 11-29-2023-20231112_113704.jpg   Alphabet Challenge Round 19 Chat 6-7 thru 11-29-2023-20231112_110426.jpg   Alphabet Challenge Round 19 Chat 6-7 thru 11-29-2023-20231112_112028.jpg   Alphabet Challenge Round 19 Chat 6-7 thru 11-29-2023-20231111_103755.jpg  

Alphabet Challenge Round 19 Chat 6-7 thru 11-29-2023-20231110_110200.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by jkanack:
annsforte3 (11-14-2023), jan31 (11-16-2023), JRHolbrook (11-21-2023), mcschmidty (11-16-2023)
Old 11-13-2023, 04:50 PM   #848  
Proud Fan Club Member

My sister had to have he dog put down today. She was blind in one eye and the other I had to be removed, she was diabetic and today all she did was have seizures. She was 14 and did pretty well for all the illnesses she had.
Reply With Quote Likes
mcschmidty (11-16-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 07:13 AM   #849  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Reminder!!!

This week's letter is X and the color theme is Xanadu!!

Keywords: ABC19, ABC19X24, and your personal keyword if using one!

The Xanadu color is a grayish cyan-lime green hue that is also categorized as a cool color. This means it leans more toward the blue as well as the green section of the color wheel. Xanadu is therefore a part of the green color family.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by annsforte3:
mcschmidty (11-16-2023), shirlb19 (11-14-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 08:13 AM   #850  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Good morning! All this talk of Thanksgiving food...yum! We are all going to Idaho to have Thanksgiving at my brother's there. His wife is the one who just had knee replacement surgery and they are hosting Thanksgiving! Perhaps they should have come down here. We'll all pitch in to make the meal, DD2 is looking forward to it.

I'd say my least favorite part of the traditional meal is cranberry anything. I don't care for cranberries but I do make a cranberry relish that is a family recipe from my DH's family. DH and DD1 love it, DD2 and I don't care for cranberry so I make it for them and then hope they eat it all before it goes bad in the refrigerator! I also wasn't a fan of my dad's pumpkin pie recipe which, for the record, had more sugar in it than pumpkin! I love the Libbys, Libbys, Libbys recipe. Green bean casserole I can take or leave. But I love mashed potatoes and gravy!

Ann, what does a moderator do? What kind of time commitment is it?

Kathy, we don't have mac & cheese as a side at our Thanksgiving meal either but homemade mac & cheese is usually tasty. I love candied sweet potatoes! I will make them other times of year as well, so tasty. (I like sweet potatoes on the savory side too but do the candied ones with marshmallows for Thanksgiving.)

Sweet potato fries are delicious, Melody. I've never had them with a marshmallow cream for dipping though.

Jean, obviously I put marshmallows on my sweet potatoes, we love it. I also like garlic sweet potatoes. Hmmm, I wonder if the Tamarack in WI is the same as the Tamarack in Eastern Oregon? That was a favorite wood to burn from my dad's perspective. It burned clean and not too fast, if I remember correctly. We don't seem to have it down here.

Kathy, I'm so sorry for your sister. It is hard to lose our fur family.
Reply With Quote Likes
JRHolbrook (11-21-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 09:15 AM   #851  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Good thing we all like a variety of foods. My mom's dressing/stuffing had pork sausage in it. My brother wouldn't eat it, will only eat Stove Top. My Dad used to mix up the dressing first thing in the morning, he'd mix it with his hands and he liked to joke that he didn't wash his hands first. I know, gross. The sausage wasn't pre-cooked so it was pretty greasy. I learned to like it more but when I made it, I would pre-cook the sausage part way.
I love sweet potato fries but can't imagine dipping into marshmallow cream. Guess I'm not a sweet/savory person.
Kathy, I'm sorry about your sister's dog. I'm enjoying cuddling with my favorite pup, Rowdy. Big old bear of a Lab.
Weather is great here, might get up to 60 today. We're going rock hunting in the upper peninsula of Michigan on Lake Superior tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by jkanack:
JRHolbrook (11-21-2023), smadson (11-15-2023)
Old 11-15-2023, 08:03 AM   #852  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Good morning! We might get some rain today and it looks like it outside. Lovely weather. DD2 keeps having really early mornings at work.

I agree, Jean, it is wonderful that we all like so many different tastes and flavors. How boring it would be if we all liked only the same things!

One of my co-workers has a dog that is a big bear of a dog! His name is Tahoe and he is a Bernese Mountain dog and he is huge. You could saddle him and small children could ride. She brings him to work with her and he has really calmed down though he still has a lot of energy. I always feel sorry for him in the summer though with all that fur.

Jean, did your brother not eat pork? Is that why he wouldn't eat your mom's dressing?
Reply With Quote Likes
JRHolbrook (11-21-2023)
Old 11-15-2023, 03:54 PM   #853  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 651 Posts

I have been craving sweet potato fries for months now, lol.. Melody that marshmallow cream to dip them in sounds interesting. The things restaurants come up with!

For stuffing we always had the celery, onion, butter bread stuffing, so the thought of putting meat in it is not something I would make but to each their own.

Just made a lot of cranberry sauce that uses o.j. and orange zest. Love that stuff. I freeze it in smaller portions.

Our rain was finished in the early afternoon so we got out for a walk.

My stepson and wife adopted a 9 yr. old Bernese Mountain dog. Some family had to give him up for some reason. You have got that right, Catherine -they are BIG dogs, lol.. Oh and your fitness protection funny was hilarious.

Kathy your choc. cake with peanut butter frosting sounds yummy. I made flourless peanut butter and choc. chip cookies yesterday.

Sharon loved reading about all the baking you have been doing!

I cannot imagine fasting for 40 days. Just water, Catherine? Your dh had better not read about all the food we talk about on this thread, lol.....

We are planning on putting our outdoor lights up tomorrow. Condo rules we can't put them up before Nov. 15th.

Jan thanks for your comment on my card. I had never heard of the color xanadu before either.

Jean, can't believe you got snow already. Great fall pics!

Thanks Ann and Liz for all the challenges. I have no idea what to make for zinc oxide yet.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
mcschmidty (11-19-2023)
Old 11-15-2023, 04:41 PM   #854  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Ann, I know you had mentioned that you wanted to see these when I was done. Well, more or less done. The cover was made from an old book -- removed the pages and the spine, and made a new wider spine. It has elastic bands to insert the signatures into. The signatures are removable. I had made them about 8 sheets per signature, but they were just too thick, so I took them apart and split them to 4 sheets (8 pages) each, I think - don't have it in front of me. I used plastic cereal box liners framed in cardstock for window pockets. I was going to store images, die cuts, etc. in the pockets, and they would be visible through the windows. As it turned out, the cardstock made them too inflexible. It was too hard to get the stuff in and out of the pockets, so I ended up making small envelopes to hold the stuff and insert the envelopes in the pockets. I can pull out the envelope to dig through it. Right now, I still need to make enough envelopes to fill all the pockets. I think I stuffed them too full, so will need to split up some of them. I labeled the envelopes and tucked them in alphabetically. I may stamp, draw, or glue a small picture on the front of each envelope to make searching faster than reading the labels.
Attached Thumbnails
Alphabet Challenge Round 19 Chat 6-7 thru 11-29-2023-img_0783.jpg   Alphabet Challenge Round 19 Chat 6-7 thru 11-29-2023-img_0784.jpg   Alphabet Challenge Round 19 Chat 6-7 thru 11-29-2023-img_0785.jpg  
Melody ~ Isaiah 40:31 Come join the Alphabet Challenge My GOD can do amazing things. Ephesians 3:20 gallery ~~ blog lilacs and butterflies

Last edited by lacyquilter; 11-15-2023 at 04:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
jan31 (11-16-2023), JRHolbrook (11-21-2023), mcschmidty (11-19-2023), smadson (11-16-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 07:47 AM   #855  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Good morning, ladies. This just needed to be shared.
Attached Thumbnails
Alphabet Challenge Round 19 Chat 6-7 thru 11-29-2023-energy-saving-mode.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
jan31 (11-16-2023), JRHolbrook (11-21-2023), mcschmidty (11-19-2023), muscrat (11-16-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 07:59 AM   #856  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Good morning! We had rain and drizzle yesterday, so lovely. I see fluffy white clouds outside but the ground is still damp from the rain. It is just pretty outside!

Shirl, I read your post to my DH so he heard about all the food in that post! LOL He is very ready for tomorrow evening to arrive as that is when he will resume eating food. In addition to water, he has had tea (herbal) and a couple of different powdered beverage mixes that help with electrolytes. I tried his electrolytes drinks during my seven day fast and got so I could hardly gag them down!

The stuffing/dressing that we always had was more like the kind you had, Shirl. And the cranberry sauce that I make for DH and DD1 sounds similar to yours as well as it takes orange juice and zest too. It is a family recipe from DH's family.

Melody, I like your organization book. Recycling at its best! I also like the energy saving mode, sounds good to me!

Tonight we are going to a production of Peter Pan at a local college. I'm looking forward to it!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by cdimick:
JRHolbrook (11-21-2023), mcschmidty (11-19-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 01:52 PM   #857  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3,057 Likes on 1,554 Posts

What fun, Catherine, to go see Peter Pan! I think we are done today. Son and I walked 10 miles today on a local trail. I think I wore my Appalachian trail hiking son out! LOL

Melody, I love, love your book! I want to try pockets like that . Great way to organize all those die cuts.

Shirl, flourless cookies? Humm.
Well , have to fix some supper. Lemon chicken, one of our favorites.
Scrapbook Goal: 2024: 14/60 as of 03/31/24

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by smadson:
JRHolbrook (11-21-2023), mcschmidty (11-19-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 03:40 PM   #858  
Proud Fan Club Member

Good one Melody. I like that a lot, lol!

Gracie have you heard anything about your surgery date yet?

Has anyone heard from Jayne lately?

Sharon that is amazing 10 miles, but I guess one needs that to walk off all that baking, lol.
Yes, flourless. It is a simple Martha Stewart recipe. I used reg. size choc chips, but i think I will use the mini size the next time.

We got our lights up this afternoon. It was a brisk sunny day here.

Enjoy your show Catherine. Last thing we saw was a high school production of Chicago.

Shirl

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by shirlb19:
JRHolbrook (11-21-2023), mcschmidty (11-19-2023), smadson (11-16-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 04:02 PM   #859  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 3,396 Likes on 1,171 Posts

Sharon I usually go outwith our son, it’s quite steep hill getting back but I was ill and then he was ill and this week he’s been leaving at 6.30 for work so he was too tired.

we are going to see our eldest GS n a play tonight Beowulf! Although I’m not sure we will see him as he will be dressed all in black.

i forgot to say how much I loved your book Melody.

Steve makes sausagemeat, apple, walnuts and apricot stuffing,it’s very moist, he stuffs the turkey with it although we’re having beef this year, I love the dried sage and onion stuffing mix you can buy in England ,just add boiling water , it’s very tasty.

we had pancakes this morning near the beach,big mistake ordering two, should just have had one as they were huge.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by jan31:
JRHolbrook (11-21-2023), mcschmidty (11-19-2023), shirlb19 (11-17-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 05:10 PM   #860  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Thanks ladies on the organization book. There is actually a class (fodder keeper) offered on line for making one, but I don't have that kind of money, so attempted my own version. They sewed clear acetate to the pages using a sewing machine. I already had my signatures sewn together, and was using the cereal box liners, which curl when you cut them, so tried something different, but it didn't work out as well. It it still usable, but different.

Another way to make something similar would be to use divided page protectors in a 3-ring binder. Either sized for photos or sized for A2 cards. And MUCH simpler than DIY.

Jayne posted on facebook 2 days ago that they both have covid.

Last edited by lacyquilter; 11-16-2023 at 05:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by lacyquilter:
Old 11-16-2023, 05:42 PM   #861  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lacyquilterView Post
Thanks ladies on the organization book. There is actually a class (fodder keeper) offered on line for making one, but I don't have that kind of money, so attempted my own version. They sewed clear acetate to the pages using a sewing machine. I already had my signatures sewn together, and was using the cereal box liners, which curl when you cut them, so tried something different, but it didn't work out as well. It it still usable, but different.

Another way to make something similar would be to use divided page protectors in a 3-ring binder. Either sized for photos or sized for A2 cards. And MUCH simpler than DIY.

Jayne posted on facebook 2 days ago that they both have covid.
oh no! I hope they aren't feeling too poorly! I haven't heard from her in a couple of weeks. She's such a sweetheart so I hope it passes quickly!
Reply With Quote Likes
JRHolbrook (11-21-2023)
Old 11-17-2023, 08:37 AM   #862  
Proud Fan Club Member

I just heard from Jayne this morning. Yes, how dreadful to have covid. And it has been quite bad for them. They will not be back home till Dec. 14th.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
jan31 (11-17-2023), JRHolbrook (11-21-2023), mcschmidty (11-19-2023)
Old 11-17-2023, 09:30 AM   #863  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Just a little humor.
Attached Thumbnails
Alphabet Challenge Round 19 Chat 6-7 thru 11-29-2023-big-little-tires.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 5 users liked this post by lacyquilter:
jan31 (11-17-2023), JRHolbrook (11-21-2023), mcschmidty (11-19-2023), shirlb19 (11-17-2023), smadson (11-17-2023)
Old 11-17-2023, 11:58 AM   #864  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lacyquilterView Post
Just a little humor.
a lot of good that spare will do them! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
JRHolbrook (11-21-2023)
Old 11-17-2023, 05:08 PM   #865  
Proud Fan Club Member

Ha ha Melody good one!

Jan, how was the play?

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
JRHolbrook (11-21-2023)
Old 11-17-2023, 06:09 PM   #866  
Stazon Splitcoast

The play was really good, its Radio Theatre, Beowulf, our GS took the part of Grendel, he did really well as it was a major part, he’s not outgoing so to see him on the stage was amazing, the young man doing the sound effects wasn’t very good apart from when he ripped a cabbage in half, supposed ripping Grendel head off, made everyone laugh as he was struggling to tear it up. One girl is from the Ukraine , she’s with a family over here and had to leave her parents behind in the Ukraine, she was amazing to say Russian is her first language!

Our DIL has jet lag really bad, she’s was awake at 3 am, got up and made five Christmas cakes, she gives them to her American friends for Christmas, she made soup, supposed to be sweet potato and carrots, said it tasted strange then this morning realised she put butternut squash in instead of sweet potato, last night we went in her car, as it is has eight seats, she kept saying someone didn’t have their seatbelt on, then realised it was herself haha, she also dinged another parents car yesterday, she had to pay some money at the school and caught the back door of the other car, he wasn't best pleased of course, there were lots of other parents saw it happen , embarrassing, the parent happens to be a lawyer, not a good day !!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2023, 06:44 PM   #867  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Hello everyone! Peter Pan was so much fun! It turns out the building couldn't support the mechanism needed so they could have Tinkerbell fly in the usual way so they got creative. Tinkerbell's "flight" was an aerial routine and she was very good! We got to enjoy her skill a couple of times during the play. In the Darling's nursery when Peter Pan and the children are flying, they had people dressed all in black carry them so it looked like they were flying. I thought they did a great job and you definitely got the idea that they were trying to portray. This is the second production we've seen at this college and I really like how they use the entire room with actors running up and down any of the aisles. Very fun. A friend was in the play, she played Tiger Lily. And one of DD1's classmates was also in it, he played the part of the pirate Smee.

Today I managed to go get my hair cut so it will be all neat and trimmed for the holiday. I went shorter even - probably shorter than I really want but I had to in order to get the cut I want. It is basically a bob but shorter in the back. The cut before this one was the opposite, the back was longer. It was OK, I just wanted to try it this way this time.

Like Shirl, I'm curious if you have a surgery date yet, Gracie.

Love that photo, Melody, too hilarious. Like that spare would help them at all!

Jan, how awesome to get to see your grandson in that play. Good job for him. I hope your DIL can get some sleep and get back on this time zone soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by cdimick:
annsforte3 (11-18-2023), jan31 (11-18-2023), JRHolbrook (11-21-2023), shirlb19 (11-17-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 08:49 AM   #868  
Proud Fan Club Member

This may be hard to believe, but I have never heard the story of Peter pan. I only know what I know from pictures. Or advertisements. And I know that a woman played Peter in one of the films. But I've never even read the story. I know there is peter, wendy, and Tinkerbell but I don't know what they do or who they really are.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by muscrat:
annsforte3 (11-18-2023), JRHolbrook (11-21-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 10:08 AM   #869  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Funny picture, Melody! Lovely book!
Mary Martin was the original Peter Pan in the TV movie; Kathy Rigby, the gymnast played Peter on Broadway. I loved Mary Martin, I own the DVD of the movie. I'm guessing women play him because they're lighter. I saw Kathy Rigby in Milwaukee. Yesterday's final Jeopardy answer was Peter Pan; the book was written in the early 20th century and refers to Peter as a boy and a bird. I actually got the answer right...shear luck.
Such fun that you went, Catherine. And Jan, I have never read Beowulf, I've heard it's quite ponderous. Tolkien was very much influenced by it when he was writing The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
That is quite a jet lag story, Jan. Should have stayed in bed, I guess.
Sad about Jayne and her husband...I'd want to head home.
Yesterday I went to a beading class that my brother attends. There is an art gallery there too so I dropped a little money. What did I buy? Mostly greeting cards...yes, true. Crazy, I know, but I love others cards too. On Thursday we drove up to the UP again and went to Bond Falls.....absolutely gorgeous. Quite the walk to get to the falls, down some very steep stairs that get wet and would be slippery if it was colder. The weather has been great for being outside.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by jkanack:
annsforte3 (11-18-2023), JRHolbrook (11-21-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 12:54 PM   #870  
Stazon Splitcoast

Jean that sounds a lovely trip, we went to Yosemite years ago and most of the falls in the area we were in were dry, it was Autumn, we were told Spring is the best time as after a hot summer they dry up.
Funny story, our friends from Spain came with us to SF and Yosemite so we travelled in two cars, three men and three girls plus two dogs in the other, our son decided we should follow the tour mini bus so after going around in circles seeing nothing we ended up in the same place, the bus was out of service and going back to the depot! He still gets reminded of it when he tries to tell his Dad which route to take.

sad to hear Jayne and DH have covid, especially while they are away.

In the Pantomimes in England women play leading men’s parts sometimes and men always play parts like the Ugly sisters ! I don’t like Pantomimes! Not sure why.

I had my hair cut too, I told the young lady just a tidy up as I have an appointment booked in Spain in December, she ended up cutting it quite short, it’s ok now I’ve got used to drying it.
Reply With Quote Likes
JRHolbrook (11-21-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 02:44 PM   #871  
Proud Fan Club Member

Jean, I saw jeopardy and I got the answer right! I'm by no means as smart as they are, but it tickles me when I get one right that most of them missed! I also got the one about Lazarus right too. I don't think any of them got that one. I remember that Bible verse because we were told in the youth group one time to memorize our favorite verse. This one smart aleck chose that one because there were only two words! Jesus wept!
Reply With Quote Likes
JRHolbrook (11-21-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 04:13 PM   #872  
Proud Fan Club Member

Ha, we don't get a lot right on Jeopardy, but what is funny is that we get the ones right that none of the three contestants do.

Jean I buy cards too. Lots of good bought cards out there!

Dh and did a long walk today. Over 5000 steps. Then I came home and promptly had a nap, lol. I didn't sleep all that well last night.

Jan, I can relate to your dil's accident. I recently scraped the front passenger side when I miscalculated driving into my underground parking space. I now have white streaks (from the pillar) on my dark gray car. Dh was with me and I was talking and not paying attention. Sheesh!

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
jan31 (11-19-2023), JRHolbrook (11-21-2023), smadson (11-19-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 01:10 PM   #873  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Hello everyone! I am home alone! That hardly ever happens (though once in a while on a Friday). DD2 is at work and DH is helping cook and serve a Thanksgiving meal for the low income housing near our church. And what am I doing with my time? Chores and getting ready for our long drive. Oh well...I do hope to create as well.

Kathy, I really haven't watched or read Peter Pan either. I knew a little about it but not that much. Even though DD2 went through a Peter Pan phase where she wanted to watch the movie every day! It was a fun production to attend though.

A beading class sounds like fun, Jean.

Jeopardy was a favorite show of my dad's. I was always surprised at how poorly the contestants did with Bible category questions.

Jan, that is a funny story about your trip to Yosemite and your son's navigating. Yes, earlier in the year is better if you want to see water going over the falls.

Shirl, sorry to hear about your car.
Reply With Quote Likes
JRHolbrook (11-21-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 07:21 AM   #874  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Good morning! I was up too late last night trying to get ready to leave on Wednesday. So many things to finalize so what was I doing? That's right, making cards! LOL

The community Thanksgiving meal went well and wore DH out.

Everybody must be very busy!
Reply With Quote Likes
JRHolbrook (11-21-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 07:29 AM   #875  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Morning everyone!!

Just a reminder that the new round will start on December 13th!! There will be a week off in between rounds on December 6th.

Safe travels to you and your family Catherine!!

Shirl, so sorry to hear about the accident. It happens to all of us! I was tired driving home all the way myself from Florida years and years ago with my spouse sick in the back seat. Pulled into the apartment complex, backed into our parking space and hit the front end on wires coming down from a pole. Yup, drove all the way with no incidents and then relaxed that I was home and bingo!

Have a good day all! I'm off to get housework done!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by annsforte3:
JRHolbrook (11-21-2023), shirlb19 (11-21-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 07:48 AM   #876  
Stazon Splitcoast

Shirl sorry to hear you scraped your car too!

Catherine safe travels, no doubt it will be busy on the roads

Our son had to help serve the Thanksgiving meal at his work place, all the bosses served and he’s part of the management team so he had to serve the stuffing!

Ive almost packed the suitcases, I always worry about space and weight when it gets close to leaving, DIL said we are having Christmas on thanksgiving too so I’m so hoping they haven’t bought any heavy gifts! Last year part of Steve’s gift was twelve books!
Ive still got six to take back this time as we were on the weight limit. I have their gifts all wrapped and we give the boys money for their account as they have so many gifts from other family members.

Better go and have a shower, we are taking youngest out to spend the last of his Birthday money as they are on holiday all week.
Reply With Quote Likes
JRHolbrook (11-21-2023), shirlb19 (11-21-2023), smadson (11-20-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 10:52 AM   #877  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Maybe I hold stop in today and say Happy Thanksgiving!
i have actually been crafting today. Son is downstairs working, DH is watching sports talk programs, so I crafted! LOL

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by smadson:
JRHolbrook (11-21-2023), shirlb19 (11-21-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 12:00 PM   #878  
Proud Fan Club Member

I overdid it today, even though I really was trying not to. DH blew all the yard leaves up to our garden and I decided, with the help of my not so typical 83 year old mom, to rake and burn them all before he gets home from hunting. He gets migraines so burning them with him at home would trigger a headache. My mom can work rings around me, and I consider myself a hard worker. We got them all burned up but I hurt now!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by muscrat:
jan31 (11-21-2023), JRHolbrook (11-21-2023), shirlb19 (11-21-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 12:03 PM   #879  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Sorry, Kathy! How does your mom, feel? BTW, I got your lovely card. Thank you.

Reply With Quote Likes
JRHolbrook (11-21-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 12:06 PM   #880  
Proud Fan Club Member

I'm sure she's just as tired. Luckily she hasn't had back surgery like I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by muscrat:
jan31 (11-21-2023), JRHolbrook (11-21-2023)