Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #2761  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 802 Likes on 326 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkin OneView Post
Organization question here...I have A LOT of pencils...between the colored pencils and water colors and Inktense..I have them in their original tins( excpet for my Derwent wc's..they are in a mug on my desk)...I find this to be cumbersome ( using the tins), but I am not sure what else to use. Portability isn't really a huge issue for me right now, as I keep them at my desk. ( I am ordering a couple of those cases from Blicks to use when traveling this summer)...anyway...do you keep yours in their tins..or do you have something to organize them?
I have one of these spinning tray thingys. Scroll down to the second image.

It might be helpful for you. You can fit 2-3 pencils in the, holes. I was using it then switched to the Gobal classic case. I needed to free up desk space and have more portability.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 05:51 AM   #2762  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In all honesty I have about 500 pencils :oops: and that probably isn't counting my charcoals..and metallic�s..and pastel pencils..that is purely colored pencils..

I think the safest most organized way for me to go is with the cases. I can keep those in my desk drawers. I do like having them in their tins on my desk within sight and reach..I use them A LOT. I did see some sectioned ceramic "bucket" type things on a blog a year or so ago..I need to look for that again. those were pretty and seemed to hold a lot of pencils. I have also seen people use those carousels from Papered Chef I think it was.
I need to come up with something. I use my pencils as my main coloring source..Ok..My ONLY coloring source and I don�t see that changing anytime soon either ( Copics are just too expensive for me to play with )..So I want them accessible..functional and pretty..LOL..I don't want much do I?

OHH,..Another question too. I keep my OMS in a small jar ( I think it had pimentos in it..got it from my mil) but I saw on Gina K that she has a cute little container for it that has like a sponge dauber type thing on the top that you can just touch the stump to in order to pick up the OMS without getting the smell..kinda cool. I was wondering if anyone uses such a thing..and if so do you like it?

I am full of questions today huh?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #2763  

Quote:

In all honesty I have about 500 pencils :oops: and that probably isn't counting my charcoals..and metallic�s..and pastel pencils..that is purely colored pencils..

I did see some sectioned ceramic "bucket" type things on a blog a year or so ago..I need to look for that again. those were pretty and seemed to hold a lot of pencils. I have also seen people use those carousels from Papered Chef I think it was.

I need to come up with something. I use my pencils as my main coloring source..Ok..My ONLY coloring source and I don�t see that changing anytime soon either ( Copics are just too expensive for me to play with )..So I want them accessible..functional and pretty..LOL..I don't want much do I?

I know what you mean about copics, I just can't afford them. I began rubber stamping in the early 90's and used Tombo markers. I collected quite a few of them and now I never use them!

I've been wondering what else to do with my pencils too. I'm not totally sold on the cases. I don't like taking them in and out of the elastic bands - sometimes the points snag in the elastic, if I have pencil extenders on them, then I can't fit 3 pencils in a band. Which is necessary because my case is full. I've been thinking about these holders made with PVC pipe. DH has lots of that stuff in the shop.
Organizing a large set of colored pencils | Denise Howard's Art Blog
It wouldn't be portable.... I guess I don't need it to be. It would take up desk space...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #2764  
Crimping Master

well I have been lurking around for some ideas..and I found this which I thought was cool idea. Not sure if I would want all that on my desk though LOL..but if you have enough space it might work..

ahh..still looking
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #2765  
Pearl-ExPert

i have debated making one of those pipe organizers - i had my copics in something similar when i used those. but i have WAY WAY too many pencils - the entire sets of prisma, coloursoft, polycolor and polychromos and i have not developed a strong preference for any of them - i like to switch around so there is no way i could put them all out...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #2766  
Pearl-ExPert

i have a colored pencil tutorial posted on my blog today if anyone is interested!

pezadoodle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #2767  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the container like Gina K offers. It's also used for nail salons. I was told that Sally's Beauty Supply has them but mine didn't. I found one on e-bay much cheaper (like around $6?) and I really like it.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #2768  

Quote:

Originally Posted by cerridwen3301View Post
i have a colored pencil tutorial posted on my blog today if anyone is interested!

pezadoodle
Are you reading my mind? I was coloring earlier this morning thinking, "I just can't get the shading like Cerridwen and Dini do." I kept going over and over. I did make it better.... but you know what? I think the paper may have had an effect. I was using courser grained paper than I usually do and the wax didn't move around and blend as well as usual. That's my excuse anyway!

I'm going to check out your tutorial right now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #2769  

I love that one! you know that's what those artists use those rolling tables for, I think they are called tabors or something like that. hmmm it contains your pencils and you roll it close to your desk, right beside you. There's an old TV stand on wheels with two shelves out in the barn.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #2770  
Crimping Master

I still haven't come up with anything that is really knocking my socks off , so for now I guess I will just leave them in the tins . I know some people put them in those tin buckets like from the $ bin at Target and such. I have some of those for tools and pens , etc.. on my desk and love them..BUT I have too many pencils . If I put them in the buckets I would have no room on my desk LOL. Oh and my OCD would never let me mix up my brands either..LOL so in the tins they stay for now..

I do have a new colored pencil work on my blog..I am very happy with it..it is kind of simple though..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #2771  
Pearl-ExPert

i have been blissfully coloring ALL DAY!!! i am playing with my polycolor pencils, several different papers and new digi stamps i got:

don't like this paper but i DO love this new style of tiddlyinks - she is so talented.

my first Some Odd Girl:

a day for daisies (and my fave of the bunch:

pollycraft:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #2772  

Quote:

Originally Posted by cerridwen3301View Post
i have been blissfully coloring ALL DAY!!! i am playing with my polycolor pencils, several different papers and new digi stamps i got:

don't like this paper but i DO love this new style of tiddlyinks - she is so talented.

my first Some Odd Girl:

a day for daisies (and my fave of the bunch:

pollycraft:
Very pretty Cerridwen!! I was thinking about paper today too. I got 2 new stamps from Impression Obsession yesterday and wanted to stamp them up right away. I grabbed some white CS and as I began coloring and blending I couldn't seem to get the pencil to blend very well. Then I realized I had the regular CS not the smoother type that I normally use. I seem to do better with a smooth paper when using Prismas. It's like the build up of waxy color moves around the paper better allowing my blending to be more seamless. Which seems kind of weird because Dini says she likes paper with a bit of tooth to it. Wonder if I'm nuts?

Do y'all use smooth paper or some with some texture/tooth in it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #2773  
Pearl-ExPert

thanks! i am with dini - i need some tooth. i think i may have finally found one i am happy with - it is a mixed media multi purpose pad (blue) i got from michaels and so far NONE of the mixed media stuff i have done on it has done well BUT the pencils are perfect on it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #2774  

I watched three colored pencil videos today. They each have a different approach. Of course I will still struggle with light. My professors taught me to imagine the light coming from one part of the picture you draw, well that is easy enough. BUT when using rubber stamps people say to look at the stamp image � where you see hash marks, that's the area that should be shaded, and empty areas should be light. Well those two things don't match. I mean I can't marry the two... does that make sense???

One uses a bit of pencil, no layering of colors which allows for a lot of white for the light source.
Inky Antics
Inky Antics Rubber Stamps

The next one uses a couple colors, a bit more pencil on the paper, which still allows for a bit of white for the light source.
Gina K
Coloring with Colored Pencils and OMS- Part 1 - stampTV

The last one uses multiple pencil colors layering them for vibrant colors.. Instead of leaving white for the light source, the lightest color in the layers is the light source.
Hero Arts
Layer and Blend with colored pencils - YouTube

You know how people list colors when they post their copic work? We should do that with Primas! That way we could help each other use different color combinations!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #2775  
Crimping Master

Those are good tutorials......

I think if you are having trouble with light sources...I may have an idea. Draw some circles..and practice turning them into a ball with shading. Once you can make them look dimensional ( think a ball), you will have a better understanding of shapes and how light and shadows play a part into adding dimension. When you get a feel for that, shading on your stamped images will be much easier. I usually use the cross hatch marks on stamps as a guideline for my shading... To do that just use the opposite side for your light source. ( like if you are coloring a face..and it has hatch marks on the right side..then the "light" is going to be on the opposite side..make sense?....clear as mud huh) LOL

try the circle thing..I really think that will help you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #2776  

Here's an example of what I'm talking about.
Prismacolor Chatter-barn.jpg

I see the crosshatching under the eaves of the bridge, I know that's shadow, soooo is the sun coming from the upper right hand corner??? and I should add highlight where?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #2777  

I think I got the highlights right on these two. Do you think? Any suggestions?
Prismacolor Chatter-flutterby.jpg
Prismacolor Chatter-pansy.jpg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #2778  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

These are my general rules for shading with any medium (copied from my blog):

Shaded areas:

areas that appear to be further away or curving away
areas that are lower
areas that appear to be behind something else

Highlighted areas:

areas that appear to be closer or curving toward me
areas that are higher
areas that appear to be in front of something else
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #2779  

Carole, was that you that commented on my blog about the color bars that correspond with Prismacolor pencils?
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #2780  

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
Carole, was that you that commented on my blog about the color bars that correspond with Prismacolor pencils?
yes, that was me. I'd love to do that with Prismas.

The curving towards you, being higher/lower for highlights helps too, thanks Dini. You know it's been a TON of years since I took art classes. It just feels different when you aren't the one who drew the image. When I draw, I know where the light comes from. At least I think I do.. I don't draw much any more. When I was teaching I drew quite a bit, because the kids liked it. I'd draw pictures and make up cartoons to help them remember things in social studies and science.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #2781  

You can get the RGB codes off the Prismacolor site here:
Prismacolor Premier Soft Core Colored Pencils | Soft Core Drawing Pencil Sets

On the file card images in the center, click on the "Color Palettes" tab.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #2782  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have no idea how many colored pencils I have (a BUNCH!), but I've been trying to organize them in a way that makes sense to me. I have all 150 of the Prismas, the complete set of Blick Studios, a medium set of Derwents, Crayolas, Staedtlers, a few Pablos, a set of Inktense, Prisma watercolors, Derwent watercolors, metallics, etc., etc. I know I want them divided ROYGBIV, but my question is do you mix up your brands of pencils to store them (maybe separate them by regular cp or watercolor cp), or keep all the brands separate? I can't decide what would be best. Suggestions for how and why you prefer it the way you do? TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #2783  

I have these pencils separated by type in leather cases (120 each) and in happy rainbow order...

wax based: Prismacolor - Pablo - Blick (this takes 2 cases...)
oil based: Polychromos
watercolor: Derwent - Graphitint - Inktense - Albrecht Durer

I have my pastel pencils in a holder, and a set of 36 Polycolors in the tin. I think that gives me about 600 pencils all together. Oh. My!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #2784  
Pearl-ExPert

i am still way too ocd with mine to mix them up so i keep them separated by brand - i can't even mix them ON an image :P i have about 500 or so total - or will when my DB order gets here this week! dini i grabbed a few albrecht durer to try out too on your recommendation!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #2785  
Crimping Master

hmmmm...I started counting mine..HAHA..I have over 500 colored pencils..LOL..I didn't even bother with the inktense, pastel, charcoal..tinted charcoal..graphtints...water color ( we wont talk about the sets of drawing pencils OK)..then I have my actual pastel sticks ( plus there is a set of Lyras in there too but I am not counting those at this time ok?...)..LOL..gosh, it doesn't seem like a lot until you actually count them huh?( I didn't think that big drawer at the bottom of my desk held that much LOL

And please tell me why on earth I am ordering more?

Hello my name is Jess and I have a problem...HAHAHHA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #2786  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oy! On further reflection (after staring at my beautiful pencils, lol), I don't think I can mix mine up, either! And I'm thinking I want to get a set of Coloursofts. Seriously...I think I'm addicted to pencil collecting. At least the people here understand me! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #2787  
Crimping Master

Yes, we understand, and enable

And no mixing pencils for me either..~shudders~ LOL..I can interchange them while working but when it is time to clean up they must be with their brothers and sisters ..not cousins LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #2788  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Yes, we understand, and enable

And no mixing pencils for me either..~shudders~ LOL..I can interchange them while working but when it is time to clean up they must be with their brothers and sisters ..not cousins LOL
I can't mix my pencils either! lol

Jo Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #2789  

I don't mix mine either, and I don't have as many.
116 Prismas in a leather case
24 watercolors in a tin

Dini and Silly Filly I blogged about y'all today. Linked to Dini's blog.

Inkin One, I'm trying the circle thing now, and still having fun with the images Silly Filly sent me Mailed some to her today.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #2790  
Crimping Master

Let me know how the circle thing goes ..and I will see what else I can trouble shoot for you ! Between all of us..you will be a pro in no time!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #2791  
Rubber Obsessor

If the Polychromes are oil based then can one use OMS?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 03:07 AM   #2792  

OMS is a paint thinner which is effective on oil-based paint, so it will work with your Polychromos too. Here's a pic from an upcoming tutorial......
Attached Thumbnails
Prismacolor Chatter-penciltypes6-oil-oms.jpg  
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 06:02 AM   #2793  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by felixdogView Post
I use the container like Gina K offers. It's also used for nail salons. I was told that Sally's Beauty Supply has them but mine didn't. I found one on e-bay much cheaper (like around $6?) and I really like it.
Karen
Could you please post a link to this item? We have a Sally's around here and would be curious to see what this looks like! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 06:11 AM   #2794  
Pearl-ExPert

I have been spending time sorting all my Prismas into color groups and was thinking about trying something like this for storage.......

Beverages of Yesteryear...What Do You Miss? | BoardGameGeek

Of course I would just use the carton with no bottles. This retro vintage way will keep them handy and portable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 06:15 AM   #2795  

These are kind of fun... though for traveling I need something closed...

google image search: divided tool tote
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #2796  

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlitterGaloreView Post
Could you please post a link to this item? We have a Sally's around here and would be curious to see what this looks like! Thanks!
I ordered a gamsol kit, bottle, stumps, and sandpaper pad from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Stampers-Gamso...6986634&sr=8-5

I have been using baby oil with my stumps, sharpening them with an emery board. Thought I'd revisit gamsol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #2797  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Glass Pumps- Frosted White

Free cat hair with every card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #2798  
Pearl-ExPert

new pencils new pencils! and no time to play :( already know i do not like the new way the prismas are printed on - i can barely read the color names on mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #2799  
Inking Addict

Quote:

I got mine at Sally's! Its plastic, not glass but it works just the same. I've had it for months with no problems and it was only around $12

My Blog- A work in progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #2800  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the seller I bought mine from on ebay. It's 4.99. It's also plastic but sturdy and I love it. They also have a 6 oz for the same price ($3.00 shipping) That's a dollar less than I paid! Here's the site:
DL Pump Dispenser Bottle 8oz | eBay . Sorry I don't know how to link it directly.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes