Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-12-2005, 03:37 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy Storage for paper

Hi all, I am excpecting a baby in April and have to give up my stamping room! I am moving downstairs and dont want to move my mess downstairs, I would like to organize it. I have my paper right now in a file box with each color in a different folder, howerver I want something a little more visable, so I can see when I am running low on certain colors..
Also does anyone have a suggestion how to store scraps? I have all mine thrown in a big box, but I tend to not use them once I dont know exactly what is in there or what color it is.
Any suggestions would help!
Thanks!
Amy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2005, 04:35 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I started sorting my scraps by SU color family and found I did use them that way - I have a box to sort through as well.

I use file folders to store my paper, as other methods seemed to take up too much space.

GL with finding another storage system. I will be watching this thread to see what great ideas people have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2005, 04:53 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Easy paper storage

I have my paper in hanging files and then for my scraps, I have a file sitting in front of the full sheets of each color for the srapes. By having them in the same place it is easy to check and see if I have a scrap before cutting into a full sheet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2005, 06:13 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

congrats on your new little one! Exciting news
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2005, 06:29 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

I love my new paper storage by it probably takes up too much room for you. As far as visual, it's the only way I have found. I did use CM file mates. Now I have my scraps sorted by color in my file mates.

Another suggestion.... I've been trying a new program that another SCS's husband made. It has an option to track your inventory. There is a trial version on the site that you may want to check out. www.stamperssidekick.com

Here's what I have now, and under is how I used to do it. The black files in the middle bottom is where I have the scraps. This holds my 8 1/2 x 11 and 12x12.

And congratulations on the new little one.
Attached Thumbnails
Easy Storage for paper-my_paper_storage_908.jpg   Easy Storage for paper-paper_storage_124.jpg  

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2005, 06:49 PM   #6  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I keep my full size cs in a rolling hanging file system, and my scraps in clear plastic shoe boxes by color family, plus one of whites (whites, vanilla, vellums, confettis, etc.). It works for me.

Valerie

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2005, 07:18 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is how I organized my paper---I have two manilla file folders in each hanging folder. One manilla file folder is for the "full pieces" of each color and then the other manilla file folder in front of that is for the "scraps" of paper for each color! Just pull up the file folder you need and there it is!!

I have a close up pic of it in my gallery if you would like to take a look
~ Teresa ~ Member #4536
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2005, 07:30 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Angie, what do you use for the shelves you lay your cardstock on? The squares come empty, don't they? We don't have access to anything like that here, but I am trying to figure out what I want for storage when we get back to the states. We are designing our house and I am going to get my own room! I just have to patiently wait another year and a half to get back to start building it!

BLINGO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2005, 07:40 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default ziploc bags - gallon size

Amy:

I can relate to your dilemma when it comes to storing "scraps of paper". I feel like I've been trying to save/sort/organize scraps of paper for the longest of time. I decided to get the "gallon size" ziploc bags and throw all the scraps of each different color in there. I placed the bag along with the regular size cardstock inside of a hanging file folder and things are much easier to find now. No more little boxes to kick around full of scraps of paper.

By the way, April is a great month to have a baby! I know it, Ibecause my birthdate is also in April.

Ana Malick
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2005, 07:55 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Angie, where did you get those white things? Those are awesome, I have to get them!!

<----- SAHM to my buddy Jack!

AUTISM IS TREATABLE - VISIT www.tacanow.org for more info!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2005, 09:59 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenInOki
Angie, what do you use for the shelves you lay your cardstock on? The squares come empty, don't they? We don't have access to anything like that here, but I am trying to figure out what I want for storage when we get back to the states. We are designing our house and I am going to get my own room! I just have to patiently wait another year and a half to get back to start building it!
I would imagine it is the same thing I used - It is just an extra set (or two) of the cubes. Instead of making more cubes, you use zip-ties to make the shelves.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...96402979LxCBKa

I got my sets from Target for around $10 each, on sale. Here is what they are designed to look like:

http://store.yahoo.com/organizeevery.../stwicuwh.html

This site had sliders too to make the shelves more accessible, but at $4 for two pair, I will just stick with my zip-ties and extra cardboard that I use to slide the paper out and then back in without dinging the corners.

http://www.sevilleclassics.com/merch...Category_Code=

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2005, 10:45 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Wow Shawn, thanks for the help! I'm gonna have to see if I can get some sent over here. I noticed one of the sites you linked to shows they may mail to APO. Wish Target had them on their website!

Thanks again!
Karen

BLINGO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2005, 08:15 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

Thanks for responding that Shawn. I wish I had known about the zip ties before I ordered mine. I could have had more money for stamps. But... I still love what I have.

Ok, so they are zip ties. Everytime someone asks me about them I keep trying to remember what they are called. I know what they look like and I call them "ties" but it's hard to explain with just "ties".

Anyways, I ordered some of my cubes off eBay. But the rest I got from Seville. Also, Seville has high shipping charges.

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2005, 06:11 PM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Pendant23,
Do you mean that you use the wire panels from an extra set of the shelves (that you don't actually put together) and use the little plastic zip tie things to attach them as shelves for the paper? I'm sooooo confused but I want to do that for my paper!!!!!
Thanks! Anita
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2005, 06:18 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Anita, yes, that's what you do. I found some cubes here on-island - WOOHOO!!! - and am still in the process of putting them together. I bought 5 sets - each of my sets makes two cubes, but when combining them you don't have to use as much. Anyway - after you get your cubes the way you want, you just put the extra "sides" inside and attach them with zipties so they become shelves. So far I'm loving mine!!

BLINGO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2005, 07:19 PM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Karen, Thank you for the great advice. Coincidently I just purchased two sets of the shelves to organize the kids' toys. Hmmmm....which do you think is more important? Organized toys or organized cardstock? Guess I know what I'll do while I am snowed in tomorrow!
Anita
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2005, 07:38 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Amy,
I store all of my scraps that are a quarter sheet or smaller in a photo storage box. I can't remember where I saw the idea. I made a file , from white cardstock for each of the 48 colors plus one for white, vellum, and creams. It can sit right on the table while I am working. I can quickly check for a color I need or file my scraps as I work. Afterwards, I realized it would have been easier and quicker to cut down manilla file folders for the files. It was a little time consuming to do but well worth the effort to me. Best wishes for you and your baby in the coming months.

Retta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2005, 08:28 PM   #18  
Glitter Queen

This is my system of organization, which works for me.
I sometimes cut an extra from a stamp camp "just in case" which is my choice but it makes me more comfortable.
Anything I don't use then, or other pieces I have left over after cutting, go into one of four places.
All full sheets of card stock and pieces more than a quarter sheet, all go together in labeled bags, sorted on letter trays.

All quarter sheets go into a plastic shoe box in a Baggie with, again, label with color and filed under color family.

Then, I have two sorting for scraps, longer strips go into a large cello bag that stands up in my shelves beside me and smaller ones go into a small basket on the desk.

If I am needing a certain size, I know where to look and search for that color. It is handy, also, to see if certain colors agree what I am wanting and to sample stamp something to check for color suitability. It works for me but I am open to suggestions, too.

After seeing all the wonderful stamping rooms, I have decided to move all my stuff from the dormer space in my bedroom to an actual room down stairs where I can spread out and maybe have room for a Stampin' caddy. Anyone interested in a late Christmas present?

Marsha
Attached Thumbnails
Easy Storage for paper-plastic_box_of_quarter_scraps.jpg   Easy Storage for paper-card_stock_labels.jpg   Easy Storage for paper-card_stock_trays.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2005, 08:31 PM   #19  
Glitter Queen

Quarter sheets, eyelets and buttons and other accessories
Marsha
Attached Thumbnails
Easy Storage for paper-quarter_scraps_in_stamping_area.jpg   Easy Storage for paper-tray_of_eyelets.jpg   Easy Storage for paper-bags_of_tags.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2005, 09:39 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

I have a basket that is one wheels that is designed to hold hanging file folders. I actually just got done tonight making the last of the labels. I have each of the 48 colors in there own file. I keep all my scraps in a big clear contain, and my white, vanilla, vellum, and mulberry paper in stackable trays on my desk. These are more of an accessory so I need them closer by than my paper.

SAHM to Dominik 1/1/00 & Alyssa 3/8/01
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/smartinez182

Go Beavers!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2005, 04:29 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anita -- Yes. If I counted correctly, each set of 6 cubes is comprised of 23 panels. So with a set you can make 6 cubes OR you can make 4 cubes and turn the other 7 panels into shelves. I made 5 cubes and had to use a the extra and a second set to make my shelves.

Karen-- I am glad you found them over there. They are heavy. I couldn't image what shipping might have been.

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2005, 04:36 AM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Default My paper storage

I have a stamp space but I don't really have the room for a huge paper stand so I ordered this. It was $8.49 and after shipping I paid $13.50. It holds a ton of 12X12 paper and cardstock up to 500 sheets to be exact. Plus it has a 4X5 accessory pocket for stickers and die cuts. If you are interested I can post the link for the site I ordered from.
Attached Thumbnails
Easy Storage for paper-crop_case.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2005, 05:07 AM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

This first site is the actual generations site that has more detailed info about the file.

http://www.generationsnow.com/produc...emoryfile.html

Here is the link to it at Joann's. They list more info about it too.

http://www.joanns.com/catalog.jhtml;$sessionid$VA50MFIAAFUIKP4SY5LRHOR50 LD3UEPO?CATID=89303&PRODID=96133

This site is where I ordered it from. This was the cheapest place I could find it online or locally.

http://www.pricelessscrapbook.com/ho...tml&lang=en-us
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2005, 06:17 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

I found 8.5x11 & 12x12 clear plastic boxes at my local Pat Catan's Craft Store. I keep all my SU papers in them sorted by color sets. Have my "off brand" cardstock in a plastic bin that you use with hanging folders. Each folder has two shades of the same color in full sheets, and pre-cut half sheets.

I keep all my SU scraps in the shrink wrap with the paper to keep them all organized. But, my offbrand small scraps are in #10 envelopes, sorted by colors, and organized rainbow fashion in a shoe box. I put the bigger scraps in another hanging folder, again sorted rainbow style.

This system really works well for me.
Reply With Quote Likes