Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-31-2006, 12:03 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Published: For $ or for glory?

When all of you very talented stampers submit artwork to be published in all of the various paper crafting magazines that exist today, are you doing it for a financial benefit (ie. they pay you) or is it mostly for the glory/joy of being published? I am just curious. I know that the Take Ten's just give you a free issue, but do the others compensate you more than that?

Thanks for your insight....

Kelle
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2006, 12:38 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

honestly...I do it for the money. I have been published in magazines/books and catalogs that pay with copies or free product...but mostly I only submit to calls that will pay and the payment has to be worth it. If they are paying $25 per layout or card and it costs me $20 to mail it then it's not worth submitting to that call.

Ink Fumes Make You Crazy-->Inksanity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2006, 12:52 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've submitted once and they choose my scrapbook page. I just received my magazine yesterday and I have to say it was only for the glory because they only give my a copy of the magazine. But I'm so proud. Look at my "published" page on my blog:
http://carterieartisanale.typepad.co...is_publie.html

Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2006, 12:55 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Nancy that is such a beautiful page and such a cute baby! Congratulations on being published!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2006, 01:06 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

**just wanted to add**

This topic has been discussed ad naseum on other boards that I frequent....and there is nothing wrong with wanting to be published for the fame and glory.

I know that there are publication snobs out there that are in it for the money and look down on those who want to be pubbed simply for the name in lights - but I think that if you want to get pubbed and you have the balls to submit - who cares what your reasons are?

I think that anyone who puts themself out there deserves whatever recognition that they want...be it the money or just the byline...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2006, 01:44 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I guess I just wanted to know if there was money involved--ie. could you make money at persuing getting published? I was just thinking of the some of the popular/talented people on SCS who are published quite frequently, and was wondering if they got paid for it--enough to solely do that as a source of support for the habit, so to speak.

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

Kelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2006, 02:02 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There is also the situation of folks getting published for "glory" -- but all the name recognition eventually leads to paid jobs. So, it is kind of a hybrid situation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2006, 02:34 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I would just be excited to see my work in print!
Although, when I submit to SU, i'm hoping to get pubbed for the 3 free stamp sets!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2006, 02:50 PM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be gutsy and spill!:-D I do it for a job.

after you get several publications under your belt... some companies will pay you a publication bonus, most will require a publication resume and to see samples of your work. This is often not talked about because it's sometimes very confidential and they may do it only with a select group. I have quite a few manufacturers that will pay me a publication bonus if their product is used for publications. So even if the magazine does not compensate... sometimes a manufacturer will. It is a full time job to keep the flow of income going and doesn't pay a ton... but I can do it from home and many of the manufacturers ask me to create samples for their booths at trade shows. I call that the Bread and butter of the business. Also, when you become part of these programs they will provide a reasonable amount of their products to create with.( which is good since I rarely have time to get to the LSS!)

Now... you may want to know HOW I know this information in such a quiet part of the business. I called the companies whose products I found appealing and asked if they had a designer Endorsement program. Many had and they have their standards already laid out. it's very cut and dry.

I don't think of it as glorious really. although it's very fulfilling. Kinda make me feel like I can accomplish things. Having 4 DD's I often feel like I don't get much done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2006, 03:47 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

you'd be amazed who has a pay for publication policies...it is all in how it is listed in the publication supply lists.

Example:

I created a card using Royal Brush rubons and bubble card fronts. Royal Brush pays $25 per item listed on the supply list for each project published. They also match the money with an equal amount merchandise credit. So that card netted me $50 cash, $50 gift cert to Royal Brush, and a copy of the magazine that it was published in.

If you do that often, you can make a good amount of money.

My advice to everyone who asks about submitting is this:

Submit often, keep good supply lists, check for endorsement policies for ALL the companies that you use (including adhesives - you'd be suprised), and even if the company doesn't have a policy listed I"ve gotten endorsement payments from companies that don't have a published policy but will pay out if they are contacted.

Good luck!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2006, 03:55 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michellelovesscrap
I would just be excited to see my work in print!
Although, when I submit to SU, i'm hoping to get pubbed for the 3 free stamp sets!
I feel the same way. I'd be thrilled to see something I made on the pages of a nationally-read magazine. Maybe after I'm a demo for a while, I'll submit something (maybe I'll submit the cards I'm making for christmas this year..). I like this "3 free stamp sets if you get published in the catalog" thing.
my etsy shop ;; my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2006, 07:08 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by la_scrapbookeuse
I've submitted once and they choose my scrapbook page. I just received my magazine yesterday and I have to say it was only for the glory because they only give my a copy of the magazine. But I'm so proud. Look at my "published" page on my blog:
http://carterieartisanale.typepad.co...is_publie.html

Nancy
Congrats Nancy!
I can survive any crisis....I have kids
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2006, 08:10 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

Wow I was wondering how that all worked- thanks for the insight.
((��.�� ..�� Beth theangelcompany #3332
-:�:- ((��. Beauty is the gift of God. - Aristotle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2006, 09:08 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow,thanks for all the info! Let me wrap my tired brain around this - besides getting a check from the magazine, I could have contacted the companies of all the materials I used? For example, one of my cards used Bazzill, Li'l Davis, Magenta and Making Memories products - if I'm understanding correctly I could have contacted each company and let them know my card using their product was being published? If so, when would you contact the companies - when you're accepted, sign the contract, paid or when the magazine hits the stands?

To answer the original question, I wanted both the glory and the cash. :-) I'm just a hobby scrapper/stamper so it was thrilling to be published, paid and sometimes the magazine even sent packages of goodies as well - way cool! Plus it was funny after a couple of my projects had been published how with some people, (not my hubby or kids, they've always been appreciative) my work went from 'April's little homemade cards' to 'handcrafted and better than Hallmark', lol!

April
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2006, 09:25 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Smile OH So !

Better than Hallmark! Hmmm-That's good! Rolling on the floor laughing!!!!Some people just don't get the stamping thing!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2006, 10:05 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

I haven't submitted anything ever. I believe my stuff aren't good enough. If I DO submit (probably when hell actually freezes over) I would do it for the yummy goodies they always offer as prizes. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2006, 10:19 PM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

My experience is that Publication Bonuses can only be submitted to companies
  1. when you meet their stipulations
  2. who have a program of some sort
  3. after they are in actual print
  4. projects are sourced per the manufacturers requirements

There are specific standards with each company... some require there be no competitive products, some require a certain percentage of the project be their. there are a few ways to design with these programs... Create what you love and check after it's been published if they have a program in place OR Create specifically targeting a program OR somewhere in between. I tend to create with what I love and try to maintain the specific rules of complementary manufacturers (Maybe a paper and ink company)
What you wont see typically is something like using one itty flower from a company and getting a bonus. but like I said... many requirements are in place before you can receive a bonus. I get loopy sometimes and have to pull out their requirements before I submit. ALSO... I have had it happen where I met all their requirements and then they stopped the program. that was harsh, no bonuses(I was sick about it)... but thats how the freelance design world works.
I guess its a little like gambling, you don't know if you will be making money or how much until the check in in your hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2006, 10:29 PM   #18  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by jestermann
I haven't submitted anything ever. I believe my stuff aren't good enough. If I DO submit (probably when hell actually freezes over) I would do it for the yummy goodies they always offer as prizes. :mrgreen:
ya never know unless ya try. My first cover of Paper Crafts was with a card that I submitted using leftover scraps and took 5 min to make... I submitted it with a "I will throw it in" attitude. Man... that taught me a lesson. you just never know what their needs are.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2006, 10:43 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Thumbs up

Lisa and Shell, thanks for sharing what you can. This topic has been of interest to me for some time. As you said Lisa, you never know. I just need to get off my duff and send some creations away. I am such a horder:twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2006, 02:25 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Lisa, thanks for all your knowledge on this subject.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2006, 02:38 PM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

Ladies,
You should all submit your stuff. Why not?

I was talking to a friend of mine who runs a department at one of the big card magazines. She said that they love new blood!! They like to use experienced designers but they are always looking for new ones too. In fact, she told me that after a while, the top designers will all change over time and they have a whole new group that cycles for awhile.

Why shouldn't you be in that next group. Everyone has a style and after you've seen the same style over and over again, you get it. Then, it's time for something new and fresh! So go ahead and submit away! You never know. You may be the next great thing in our industry!

Good Luck!!
Gina K.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2006, 02:51 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

GinaK, that is SO sweet and encouraging for you to put that message out there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2006, 07:18 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Ok..on this subject (kind of)...how do you go about becoming a designer for a stamp line?

I've had multiple cards published (all in Stampers Sampler...I need to broaden my horizons!). I did it for the glory but I'd love to get free stamps in exchange for designs and assume that's the compensation some of the designers for specific stamp lines get?

Jane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2006, 07:31 PM   #24  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by troopersma
Ok..on this subject (kind of)...how do you go about becoming a designer for a stamp line?

I've had multiple cards published (all in Stampers Sampler...I need to broaden my horizons!). I did it for the glory but I'd love to get free stamps in exchange for designs and assume that's the compensation some of the designers for specific stamp lines get?

Jane
Some companies will see something that was published and they will contact you. Some companies will pay you in stamps or money if you get something published that features their products. There are many other ways to develop relationships with companies too. I am a concept designer for three companies right now. Many concept designers never get their names in print because they design for ads, websites, packaging, trade shows, etc...

Other concept designers find themselves featured in paper crafting magazines through a back door. In other words, they aren't just submitting randomly, they are submitting on behalf of a company. You may see under a card: "Haunted Halloween by Jane Doe for Cool Stamping Products, Inc." The company advertises with the magazine and can usually get published easily because of that relationship with the magazine. There are other ways too but these are the most common that I've seen. I'm sure the other ladies on here who are designers can give you more ideas.
Gina K.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 07:37 AM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

If there are any ways to help me support my habit, then bring it on
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 07:38 AM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

sorry, bad grammar. i miss the edit button
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 11:44 AM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

I would do it for either...if only my stuff was that great...hahaha
Reply With Quote Likes