Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-31-2006, 07:28 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SU Markers vs. SU Crayons ?????

Hi all,
I'm a newbie. I am trying to decide if I should order the marker set or crayon set, or if I should just get a marker or two and try them out. I've never used either of the markers or the crayons. Which do you like better and why? Which are easier to use? The markers would be nice to sign cards with, but do I need them all? Also I want to scrapbook too, so should I just get the journalers that are available and no markers? Please help me decide!!!!
Thanks!!
Brenda
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2006, 07:31 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I wish I had just gotten the marker rather than the crayons. I like them, but I find myself using the markers FAR more often than the crayons. So my very first purchase from the new catty in July is the full set of markers (right now I only have 10 or so.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2006, 07:33 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Markers for me. I bought a plastic pallatte and color on it then use the blender pen or the watercolor pen to "dip" in the ink and then color. I think the crayons are a nice look, but more subtle. I use my markers much more than my crayons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2006, 07:34 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, dear.....that's one of those "only you can answer that" types of questions, lol.

The LEAST expensive option is the crayons...you'll get all 48 colors. The crayons are more richly pigmented than the markers are, so you have an easier time getting rich colors when watercoloring.

The markers are nice to have, though, because you can do things like signing cards, as you say, or writing your own sentiments in matching ink. You can also use them to just partially ink a stamp, if you just want to stamp part of the image.

The journaling markers....well, only you can say if you scrapbook enough to want ALL the colors in those. For myself, I doubt I'd get all of them, maybe just a variety of colors that would work for most color schemes.

LOL, there....a long-winded answer that probably doesn't help at all!! I think your best bet is to have or attend workshops where you can try them all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2006, 07:35 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Markers hands down! I have both, seldom use my crayons and markers are never put away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2006, 07:40 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I'm the opposite, I never use my markers and strictly use the WWC or the ink on top of the pad method for watercoloring. The darker markers are just TOO dark to color with - anything darker than Real Red covers up any image lines. But with watercoloring, I'm able to get the color as dark as I want it and no more.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2006, 07:48 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

my mom just bought me the full set of markers for my birthday!

"Wisdom is what's left after we've run out of personal opinions."
Cullen Hightower
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2006, 08:09 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

My experience...

Markers! I pull out my markers so often that they are stored in the drawer closest to my hand in my stamping space. They have tons of uses.

The crayons are great, but they are stored across the stamping room on a bookshelf and they don't get pulled out more than once a week.

Jeanne

When will Red Riding Hood receive her first Kiwi Kiss? And who ate Chocolate Chip?!??? Find out on the next exciting episode of....

As the Stamp Caddy Turns (my gallery)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2006, 08:28 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have had all the markers for about a year and love them - I don't use the for coloring though, UNLESS I'm coloring on glossy paper or vellum - they are great for that. I like them for stamping to use multiple colors on one stamp, and for signing and writing in the cards.

I used the crayons at a stamp camp once and HATED them. I couldn't get the colors darker than "pale" to save my life....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2006, 08:32 AM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

I use the crayons all the time (however they are always out on my table!). I never use markers b/c 1) I am too lazy to do that color on your stamp deal, 2) the markers other than SS are too dark to color with and 3) I don't need them b/c I can color with the tops of my ink pads.

Just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2006, 08:53 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

For me, the watercolor crayons are my favorites. I've had the markers for years and never use them that much but the crayons I've only had for 3 or four months and they haven't left my craft table.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2006, 09:33 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I have both, and if I had to choose only one I think I'd go for the markers. don't get me wrong I really like my crayons too, but I use those markers all the time. so much that it's not even worth putting them up on a shelf cuz I'd just have to get them out again! I use them every time I stamp or scrapbook. (I just use my markers to scrapbook I dont' have any journalers yet). just my $0.02
HTH
michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2006, 10:02 AM   #13  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd suggest markers as well, since they really are so versitile. I like the watercolor crayons too, but use my markers far more often. But, consider what kind of stamping you do, and what you prefer the "look" of.
Illustrator: Whipper Snapper Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2006, 10:07 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

I vote for the crayons... only because I would never use the entire set of markers. I have the soft subtles and earthtones and that's all I would ever use. I find that a lot of the markers are just too much for the cards I make, so it's an easy choice for me. For just about the same price as the entire set of markers you can get the crayons and one family of markers.
I use both equally as much... I couldn't be without one, I just found it a waste of money to buy all of the markers when I knew I wouldn't use a lot of the darker ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2006, 11:48 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts

Crayons! They are the best. Get the markers here and there, and just the colors you will really use. - Gay Howe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2006, 12:15 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Also I want to scrapbook too, so should I just get the journalers that are available and no markers? Please help me decide!!!!
Thanks!!
Brenda[/QUOTE]

My demo told me that the journalers just have the fine tip. (I had thought I would get just the journalers, but if I can't color with them, I'd rather get the regular markers.)
Don't worry about tomorrow, each day has enough trouble of it's own. (Matthew 6:34)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2006, 12:46 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Don't forget you can scribble on a freebie cd and use that to watercolor with. Markers are a good option for me since I joined a marker club and got this split up over 4 mths and get hostess benefits one month. Can't beat that! I have a friend who has the wwc and I can use those occasionally if I need to but I want to do more of the coloring direct to stamp type things.

Annetta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2006, 01:13 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Personally I use the markers a TON. I don't own the WWC yet though so I can't really make a comparison.

Actually to compare the two is really apples and oranges because they seriously have different purposes. I think you got great advice from Betsy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2006, 01:33 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

You need both :mrgreen:

I've had the crayons for a month. I don't know how I ever stamped without them. I have about 1/2 the markers. I started buying them one at a time. I'm in a club that meets monthly. Each month, I get a new color ink pad. I also get a pack of the same colored cardstock and sometimes I get the matching marker and ribbon. I use the markers for coloring on the stamp and for making doodles. So some are needed. But I like coloring in images, so the crayons are more important to me than a full set of markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2006, 09:28 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

I got my crayons a couple of months and they were expensive enough but I do consider them a good investment. I love them. I am the type of person who loves to color though. I have some of the markers but use my inkers and crayons far more often.

HTH
Sneek A Peak at my blog ===> Karen's Kreations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2006, 09:48 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

I love the markers, though I do not have the crayons I can't really say which is better. I use the markers alot by coloring on the stamp boxes and using the aqua painter. I also joined the club that spread out the purchase over 4 months...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2006, 12:13 PM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

I have the watercolor crayons and find I hardly ever use them. I'm working on getting all the markers but so far just have the Earth Elements and Soft Subtles. Be careful when you buy the entire set. It's cheaper(here in the Canadian catalogue anyway)to buy them by color group and NOT the whole set at once. Yes, you get the handy case they come in but I'll opt for the less expensive way. I did call SU on this and they honestly didn't know why this was. Just double check the prices before you buy(plus you get the added bonus of splitting up the hefty all at once cost and may be able to purchase other things at that time). Just thought I'd let you know.
Shara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2006, 12:42 PM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

I have been using the markers forever and love them. Some are almost 7 years old and they are still good. I use the lighter colors right on the paper but tend to use the darker or stronger colors off a blender so they are not too dark and cover the image outline. I am not as wild over the crayons but I can see that some are. Markers are something I keep in a small cady on top of my table so they are always in reach. SU quality can not be bear. Have tried others and they are not as good and dry out. Of course the best solution is to try them at a camp or at a friends to see which you like but I just can't believe that I could live without my Su markers. Good luck and enjoy whatever you choose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2006, 06:16 PM   #24  
Crimping Master

Default SU Markers

I bought the watercolor markers, I think they were the kids set, but they dried up before I used them very many times.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2006, 06:21 PM   #25  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

They both are wonderful. The markers actually watercolor quite well if you are using watercolor paper, they blend beautifully. The crayons are actually quieter in color than the markers when it comes to watercoloring. I generally combine them when watercoloring, a little crayon, a little marker. I know thisis not the answer you are looking for. I think someone was on the ball up above when they said to just get the markers you know you'll use. I have all of them and can honestly say I haven't ever used some of them............and I use markers alot. Same with the crayons, some are still brand spanking new after a year, others are used more, but by no means worn out.

Maybe get the crayons and with the price difference between the 2, get the markers you know you'll use. You could get 2 complete families plus the crayons for the price of the markers in the case, alone.

eta: Don't forget the StazOn for watercoloring!

Last edited by 11Valerie11; 06-01-2006 at 07:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2006, 09:12 PM   #26  
Crimping Master

Default Stazon?

Valerie, You use Stazon for watercoloring? Please tell me how you do that, as I thought they would dry really fast!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2006, 09:48 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Use your Staz-on to stamp the image then your image won't bleed when you watercolor
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2006, 10:34 AM   #28  
Cardstock Collector

I absolutely LOVE the crayons - such a wide variety of colors and different levels of intensity. But I've used the other methods as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2006, 12:24 PM   #29  
Embossing Fanatic

Is there a big difference between the watercolor crayons and the watercolor pencils? I have the pencils, but don't want to invest in the crayons if it's pretty much the same thing.

As far as the markers go I think they are a little too dark as well, but it depends on what kind of look you want and the image you're coloring. Sometimes solid is better than the soft look and vice versa.

I have just a few markers in different colors and they make do for me. Since they have both fine tips and brush tips you can use them for both journaling and coloring. However, the markers have water-based ink, so if you scrapbook a lot and worry about fading/bleeding, I'd go for the journaling pens since they have pigment ink. And they have two size tips as well....ok, I'm getting off the box.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2006, 02:13 PM   #30  
Forum Fanatic

Has anyone used the journaling markers to colour on their stamps? I am wondering how that works out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2006, 02:43 PM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sairabee
I have had all the markers for about a year and love them - I don't use the for coloring though, UNLESS I'm coloring on glossy paper or vellum - they are great for that. I like them for stamping to use multiple colors on one stamp, and for signing and writing in the cards.

I used the crayons at a stamp camp once and HATED them. I couldn't get the colors darker than "pale" to save my life....
There is a little learning curve with the crayons, but they are really fabulous. You were using not enough pigment from the marker and too much water if you couldn't get beyond pale--and maybe too light a color. Also, maybe the paper you were using. I actually have more trouble with the markers being too bold and can't get quite as good a blending effect or smooth effect. You can blend the crayons for even more variation in color.

That being said--I love them both--and unfortunately they have different uses--or the same use for different effects. The crayons are half the price of the markers.

What to do????!!! :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2006, 03:18 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Default you need a couple journalers, but also crayons vs. markers??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brenda71
Hi all,
I'm a newbie. I am trying to decide if I should order the marker set or crayon set, or if I should just get a marker or two and try them out. I've never used either of the markers or the crayons. Which do you like better and why? Which are easier to use? The markers would be nice to sign cards with, but do I need them all? Also I want to scrapbook too, so should I just get the journalers that are available and no markers? Please help me decide!!!!
Thanks!!
Brenda
If you haven't decided yet, I have a couple of suggestions. Sorry if I'm duplicating someone else, but no time to read all the replies right now and I need to do this right now.

Ask your upline if she has, or knows someone who has, the crayons and would be willing to give you a little tutorial run with them. Don't just try one tiny pic and give up--give it a little time and a few pics, and you'll be amazed. You also really don't use much pigment at a time, especially if you're picking it up with a brush from the crayon, and I do believe my crayons will probably last years. But there are also several different ways to use them beside that. Color directly on the stamp & mist with a fine spray b4 you stamp for a lovely effect. Color directly on the paper & blend it with a damp brush, etc. They are pigment based and archival for scrapbooking.

Journalers are archival for scrapbooks, they are pigment based. The markers are wonderful, BUT they are NOT considered archival because they are water-based dye ink and can (and probably will) fade over time. So get a few journalers for that scrapbooking journaling.

For the markers--do you do papercrafting only at home or do you go to crops, etc? I'm on the road with my markers all the time, and that big case is too cumbersome for me. I actually ordered the markers in the color family assortments as I could justify getting them--and that way each family comes in a clear plastic flatish pack, only a tad bigger than the 12 markers--much smaller to pack around, and I can take just 1 or 2 families with me at a time if I choose. They were actually a little bit less expensive that way, too.

The markers will dry out, so be really careful about keeping the tips on them. They will need to be replaced as they dry out. Always remember to store your markers and journalers horizontally, not standing on one end, so the ink in them stays more evenly distributed.

I think you need to find a way to play with both of these some way b4 you make the purchase if you think you can only do or the other. Get a journaler or two for your scrapbooking, and maybe then do the others not all at once--1 color family of markers at a time and w/c crayons another time.

Sorry this is so long! Just trying to help.

Last edited by Harmony60; 06-07-2006 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: fix typos
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2006, 03:31 PM   #33  
Kookie Creator

Markers! I just bought the whole set a couple of months ago and love them! I also have a set of wc pencils, use them quite a bit too. Really glad I bought the markers though..........especially after reading several others use them with blenders! (you really do learn something new every day, especially on SCS)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2006, 03:52 PM   #34  
Kookie Creator

If I HAD to choose I would definitely go for the Crayons. I use them for coloring all of the time, so couldn't live without them. The other selling point is that you have to purchase the crayons in a set and the markers can be purchased individually, or by family. So you could purchase a few markers at a time starting with your favorite colors.

HTH!
Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2006, 04:06 PM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

Sorry, don't know how to totally delete this duplicate post:???:

Last edited by Harmony60; 06-07-2006 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: duplicated it--so sorry!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2006, 04:07 PM   #36  
Mad Swapper

I have both and love both. I definitely use the markers more. Markers work for signing cards, inking stamps, and watercoloring. The crayons are fabulous but I consider them a luxury not an essential like the markers. When I stamp on the go, I just grab my marker case, paper and stamps. I velcroed a blender pen container on the side of my marker case. Trade out one blender pen for a black marker and you have all you need. Got that little tip here on SCS. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2006, 06:53 PM   #37  
Cardstock Collector

I don't have the crayons but used my upline's set. I, too, thought they were a bit pale but I probably didn't get enough practice. I've had the full marker set for a year or two now and use them ALL the time!!! I love that A.) I have ALL the colors at my finger tips, B.) I can throw one or two colors in a bag with a project, C.) I can color directly on the stamp in different colors, and D.) they are great for watercoloring. I love the handy pack that the full set comes in too!! Plus, they're still juicy and have plenty of use left in them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 04:57 AM   #38  
Cardstock Collector

Did you know that you can watercolour with the markers? You colour with the markers on a solid stamps such as the flowers in PETAL PRINTS. If you are using more then one colour of markers then start with the lighter colour first then colour in with the darker colour. Lightly spritz the stamp with water. (I have an extra stamp cleaning spray bottle that is empty and I filled with water-make sure to label to say "water" so you don't mix it up.) You need the hold the water spray bottle about 12 to 18" away from stamp and lightly spritz the stamp a few times then stamp onto cardstock (it may work on water colour paper as well but I haven't tried). The result is a beautiful water colour look done with the markers. Try experiemnting with the number of water spritzs you do to get different effects. I love this technique.
Trina St. Michael
Ottawa, ON Canada
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2006, 03:06 PM   #39  
Mad Swapper

I already posted that I like both but prefer the markers but I just had one of those Eureka! moments.

I was trying to case a few cards from the soon to be old catty before I tuck it away and I kept thinking..."I don't have that color ribbon." Then I remembered reading on SCS that ribbon can be dyed with reinkers. I thought that sounded too messy.
So... I grabbed my markers and my white grosgrain ribbon and started coloring away. You have to color both sides and then let it dry a few minutes. Not all colors were exact but neither are the colored ribbons so it was close enough for my taste!

I now have all 48 colors of ribbon because I have all the markers. I LOVE my MARKERS!!!
Reply With Quote Likes