Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-22-2023, 11:39 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,866 Posts
Default MISTI Sticky Mats

I purchased a set of these mats. I am not sure how to really use these. Does anyone have any tips? I did try a die cut piece so stamp the image, but wasn't very successful.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2023, 08:09 PM   #2  

Received 275 Likes on 162 Posts

I don’t know if it’s the same as the Brutus Monroe & TE sticky mat, but Taylor and Christopher of their two companies made a joint YouTube video explaining how to use this product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2023, 08:49 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 863 Likes on 514 Posts

I just use mine to hold my paper in place in the Misti while I stamp the images; keeps me from having to use magnets.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by hoptownracer1:
fionna51 (09-07-2023), Renata Joyner (01-25-2023), whim6915 (02-15-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 07:01 AM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday, I was looking at the sticky mats scrapbook.com sells for the MISTI. They have a little video on their website (it is probably on their YT channel as well). I'm going to place my order today. I'm really interested to see how they can be used for die cutting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2023, 07:59 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

I have watched several videos this morning. There are tricks. One thing I plan to do is laminate a few pages of the grid paper, then place the sticky mat on the laminated sheet. This will make it easier to remove a die cut image as it will be flexible. I can take the laminated piece out, roll it to remove the piece of paper, not try to remove the piece with my fingers and no flexibility. I hope this makes sense.

I saw a trick where the person kept the square where she die cut or punched the shape. Then she lined up her stamp to fit centrally in the cut piece. She could flex her sticky mat to remove the stamped image and continue the process.

The Brutus Monroe mat is a bit different as his does not stick to the MISTI, rather it places in the corner. It is sticky on one side. It also has a non-stick border so that helps pick it up. His also works well for stencils. I have a Make Art device for my stencils, which works great when the stencil is larger than my paper. I do have a stencil with no edges, so that may be a use for the sticky mat.

I will keep watching videos as I have time and energy to watch. I did make a play list. Thanks for the responses.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by lovinpaper:
123scrap (01-25-2023), hoptownracer1 (01-23-2023), thestampingnook (01-25-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 11:47 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

I got my sticky mats out again today. I die cut and punched my shapes, then stamped. The mat does not stick on both sides, so it tends to shift a little. When I was ready to remove my pieces, it was a bit difficult and my paper stuck so much, my paper tore or was horribly bent out of shape. I am back to the drawing board again in figuring out how these are really supposed to work.

I watched a person using the Brutus Monroe ones, which I have seen before. I saw two people using Sizzix mats and a Cricket mat. Now, I will find more where they are using the Misti ones. I have not watched the Scrapbook.com one as it it quite a bit longer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2023, 12:22 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

A trick to getting the paper off without it leaving it bent out of shape is to bend the mat back; the paper will peel off and remain flat. If you pull the paper off the sticky mat, it will bend. (I saw this watching videos regarding using the cricuit and pulling vinyl off.)

Jennifer McGuire uses these mats often and usually gives a lot of tips. You may want to try a video or two of hers. If I come across a specific one where I see her doing this, i'll try to remember to come back and link it for you.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by fl_beachbum:
biblesistersmom (01-26-2023), gobarb26 (09-18-2023), thestampingnook (01-25-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 12:41 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Adriana, that is what I was doing. I took a large piece of paper, cut a circle and punched some images. Then I stamped and rolled the sticky mat to remove my paper. The large piece of paper stuck so much, even rolling it back, it tore pieces off of the back. The images remained stuck and when finally came off, they were unusable. I totally find this frustrating. I will keep watching and maybe something magic will work. This was Gina K Designs 80 lb white paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2023, 01:14 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

I just watched Carissa Wiley and she showed both the MISTI Sticky Mat and the Brutus Monroe mat. This blog post and video are quite helpful. https://blog.ellenhutson.com/2022/05...crafting-easy/

I think I am not rolling my bat enough, like she is. I thought I was, but maybe not as much as she is showing. I will keep trying.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
ozarkstamper (01-24-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 04:48 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

I've only used the MISTI sticky mats, so can't compare to any of the other brands, but I find the MISTI mats to be a game changer. I often use low tack tape to create a corner locator for my card rather that putting the card into the corner of the frame of the MISTI. This works well for adding sentiments, etc., especially when mass producing cards as I did at Christmas. I've had no problems with paper sticking to the mats and have always curled the mats back to release the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Bravesfan Linda:
theceltichorse (09-13-2023), thestampingnook (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 05:02 AM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One tip I have from using sticky mats with the Scan N Cut is to press the sticky side several times to your shirt/clothing. This "dials down" the strength of the tack to make it release paper more easily. I use this with artists tape also to more reliably keep it from tearing paper. Depending on how many times you pat the mat or tape to your clothing, you can adjust how tacky it is.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by shirenc:
joniworx (01-25-2023), lovinpaper (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 05:05 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Awesome video, Lisa! Thank you for sharing it! My first try with a sticky mat was a disaster!!
Reply With Quote Likes
lovinpaper (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 08:23 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirencView Post
One tip I have from using sticky mats with the Scan N Cut is to press the sticky side several times to your shirt/clothing. This "dials down" the strength of the tack to make it release paper more easily. I use this with artists tape also to more reliably keep it from tearing paper. Depending on how many times you pat the mat or tape to your clothing, you can adjust how tacky it is.
I thought of doing this last night, read your idea today, then gave it a try. Worked wonderfully as expected. It removed enough tack that my paper was easily removed, rolling it away from the paper. Now, I will try it with die cut images. That was my big frustration the last few times I tried using the mat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2023, 08:27 AM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I am pretty sure the guy from Brutus did suggest lowering the sticky as Shirenc suggested.
Also they discovered another issue with the ink going off edge which is why Taylored did a support frame piece.

The laminated grids sound smart to me not just for this but to protect from stray ink in general. I am going to do that provided the laminated piece sealed edge is not so great it throws it all off.

I might also guess that weight matters. Did you try 110#?

BTW if you get too UNsticky-Brutus is selling some cleaner specifically for that but does say general cleaners will work to bring it back. I got his but there is no contents on it so I don't know what it is made out of. :/ I have not used any of it yet so I have nothing to contribute here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Renata Joyner (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 08:32 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Margot, today I used Accent paper which is 80 lb 216 gsm. However, it is very sturdy and seems thicker than the GKD layering weight I used. The GKD fell apart when I was trying to get it off and it was die cut. The Accent came off quite well. Now the Accent was used after I pressed the Sticky Mat to my clothing to add a bit of lint. I do think you may be right about the thickness of the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2023, 10:59 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Received 306 Likes on 142 Posts

I had been gifted the MISTI sticky mats, used one and gave the other two away. I don't like having to jump through hoops trying to find just the perfect way to use a product. The following commercial is brought to you by a very satisfied customer. I love my Tim Holtz Tonic Media Grip Mat. Works great, easy to clean. I cut mine into sections: One sits in my stamp positioner holding the cardstock in place, another simultaneously holds my stencils and cardstock in place, and the third is a strip that keeps my ink pads from shifting on my desk as I work. Easy-peasy. I like this mat so much, that I have gifted it.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by AScrapofKindness:
hoptownracer1 (02-13-2023), joniworx (01-25-2023), ozarkstamper (02-16-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 06:52 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cost-saving Method?

Yet, there seems the grids on the MISTI version might be helpful...

But following on the idea of using the Tim Holtz grippy mat (no aligning grid, right?), couldn't you use any rubbery, grippy mat that you might use for furniture, etc? For example: https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Slip-S...ustomerReviews

Yikes! Sorry, don't know how to compress a link.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2023, 05:31 PM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,295 Posts

Thanks Lisa for starting this conversation!

Reply With Quote Likes
lovinpaper (09-05-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 03:56 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

I just received a sticky mat free with a purchase from Scrapbook.com. I have not tried it yet - wasn't sure how to use it.. but reading the comments it kinda sounds like the sticky Cricut mats. In the beginning I used to spray them with goo-gone, then use a putty knife and scrape the old sticky - and replace it with Aleene's tack it over and over and set overnight. Then, I found on you tube to just scrub the mat with Awesome cleaner from Dollar Tree and let it sit overnight: wella: almost new mat. When purchasing a new mat, I also used to remove the cover and press my hands all over the mat to reduce the sticky so it didn't tear papers. , Great suggestions here - I too am glad Lisa started this thread.. Thank you !
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
lovinpaper (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 04:28 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Mac, I purchased 2 mats from Scrapbook dot com, but haven't tried them yet. Of course the presenter on the video made them look so easy. I hope to try them soon. It was Lisa Mears and she has never steered me wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2023, 04:52 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Here is the video by Lisa Mears where she is using the Scrapbook dot com sticky mat.

Reply With Quote Likes