Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-04-2008, 03:34 AM   #5401  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Done. Post reminders once in a while, so I am sure to go back in the ocming days...
Quote:

Originally Posted by urscrappymamaView Post
As animal lovers, we give often and generously to our local no-kill animal shelters. The shelter group where we got our second kitten is in dire needs of support. The are currently participating in a 'Shelter Challenge' sponsored by Petfinder.com They aren't asking for cash donations (although I'm sure they would not be turned away!), thet are asking for people to click to have a free bowl of food donated to the shelter. The Shelter with the most donated bowls will qualify for a grant benefitting stray animals. Please vote daily if possible by following the instructions below. Thank You

Click the link below.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...llenge_sitenav

After your vote is tabulated, click on the tab on the upper right side of the page that says "Shelter Challenge". Then fill in the name of the shelter (S.T.A.R.T.), the name of the town (Little Falls), and the state (NJ). It's that simple, and costs nothing but a few key strokes. You can vote once daily from now until December 14th. Please help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 03:44 AM   #5402  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

These are fantastic Su! Wow! Wish you lived closer so I could come over to play! ;)
me too
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 03:49 AM   #5403  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrispy1778View Post
It didn't have me do anything but a click... I wonder if the link you used just auto voted for the shelter you chose?? I hope so! Before you click, at the top right of a screen is a button that says vote today, and in the small print says make sure you come backafter you click. Once you click there a new tab opens and that is where you fill in the info. Since we get to do this every day for 10 days, I think missing today will be okay.

In lieu of gifts ( from those who would tolerate our "Crazy Buddhism", which really pissed me off... stupid inlaws... ), Chris and I made humanitarian choices for the holiday.

I asked that people chose from one of the many no-kill shelters or rescue agencies in our area ( we have something like 30 of them ), or C-SNIP ( a low cost spay / neuter non-profit clinic ), spend even half of what they would have on a gift for us, buy needed supplies for said agency and deliver them before Christmas. My family has been doing this something similar for years. We each pick a charity and donate what we would have spent to each others charities. I usually spend more on this than in the past when I bought them presents.

My family was receptive to the idea, but Chris's people... my MIL stuck her nose up and ranted about not being able to open anything, and Chris's grandma just couldn't wrap her simple, aging country folk mind around why on earth we'd do that, when someone can do that any time ( she thinks we *have to* open something at her house, no matter how old we are... she's a sweet lady, but daffy as heck ).
I think that my veggie, eco-hip BIL was okay with it, though, which ought to further irritate my MIL... oh joy.:rolleyes:
Alafair also has requested no gifts on her birthday (not completely her choice, but she can agree that she has plenty of stuff) and if people really wanted to get something they could donate to St Jude's (again, her choice). The flack I get from these Moms is unbelievable. They insist she has to receive presents. Some put sticker packs inside the card (which is really ok) and others will put gift cards in there. Only one actually gave to the charity. Last year she was having a party combined with a friend born the same day so she received presents cuz the other kid was not open to the no gifts idea. Many of the gifts are still in the box. It amazes me that in such an affluent town these people were so insisitent that their kids (and mine) need more stuff! Alafair has a bag of toys she picked out and everytime we go together to the PO (to mail swaps, of course) she dances in (literally) and puts one in the Toys for Tots box. Now she begs to go to the PO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 03:56 AM   #5404  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

You know roberta, it only takes 2-3 minutes tops to kill someone (correct me if I have the wrong time frame-it's been a long time since I have tried) and steal a car. People are killed for a lot less. So the police would be able to track down your car and probably find your body fairly quickly, however we would be down one Ho and I think that would really p*ss a lot of us off here.

Glad it worked out ok! go get some sleep.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 04:04 AM   #5405  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamadwawaView Post
Alafair also has requested no gifts on her birthday (not completely her choice, but she can agree that she has plenty of stuff) and if people really wanted to get something they could donate to St Jude's (again, her choice). The flack I get from these Moms is unbelievable. They insist she has to receive presents. Some put sticker packs inside the card (which is really ok) and others will put gift cards in there. Only one actually gave to the charity. Last year she was having a party combined with a friend born the same day so she received presents cuz the other kid was not open to the no gifts idea. Many of the gifts are still in the box. It amazes me that in such an affluent town these people were so insisitent that their kids (and mine) need more stuff! Alafair has a bag of toys she picked out and everytime we go together to the PO (to mail swaps, of course) she dances in (literally) and puts one in the Toys for Tots box. Now she begs to go to the PO.
there is another side to the idea, Gael so understand people will give gifts no matter what you (Alafair) requests.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 04:19 AM   #5406  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuGView Post
You know roberta, it only takes 2-3 minutes tops to kill someone (correct me if I have the wrong time frame-it's been a long time since I have tried) and steal a car. People are killed for a lot less. So the police would be able to track down your car and probably find your body fairly quickly, however we would be down one Ho and I think that would really p*ss a lot of us off here.

Glad it worked out ok! go get some sleep.
Less than that, even. And, locigally, I know this ( and I got a chewing from my NWC ) - I have to for my job.
But the idea of someone freezing due to my paranoia won over my common sense. Not the first time it's happened, and it probably won't be the last.

There's a chance, every single day at work, that some drug dealer that I helped take off the streets will have family or felow gang member walk in and shoot everyone in my office.
We've had residents go hysterical in our building and had to restrain them until a boy with a badge showed up... we see some pretty screwed up crap on a day to day basis, and retaliation is very common in some communities around here.

It's something that I think about every single day when I enter my office. But it doesn't stop me from going to work and doing what I love to do. We can just as easily die in a car accident or falling down the stairs in our home... I just tempt Fate a little more often than that.

It is, however, nice to know that I'm appreciated.:mrgreen:
You gals are the absolute bestest! *mwah*!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 04:26 AM   #5407  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

there is another side to the idea, Gael so understand people will give gifts no matter what you (Alafair) requests.
But why? I'm not trying to be obnoxious, but what is the other side?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 04:31 AM   #5408  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

I tptally get the gesture behind the effort, and we don't, and wouldn't do that at a birthday party - it's a request that we make only to our family and closest friends. I've done the same thing for my last three birthdays. Sometimes it works, but more often than not, it doesn't.

I'm sure that it sounds ungrateful to some, but I understand the not opening things. We don't make the kids choose, but they do know that with the coming of new things, also comes the departure of old, for the sake of space.

So now, they automatically pick and choose. If the new toy is something that they won't really play with, it ends up donated, either at the local women & childrens shelter or TFT if we have room to store it for the year.
It isn't something that we do to be snobbish or weird - we simply don't have space to be additionally excessive ( 1400 sq ft, no garage, and five people who all have a lot of stuff makes for cramped quarters easily ), and we've hit the point where we don't "need" anything.
So the kids' xmas lists have a lot of clothes and DVDs on them, or on occasion, we'll ask for gift card sto specific stores, to combine to buy one joint big ticket item ( like replacing their DVD player this past summer ), but again, that's only to family and close friends.

To avoid the birthday party excess, we simply do not hold them. We celebrate, and they get to do something with a friend - a something that they choose - but a big party with a gazzillion kids?? NO. I stopped doing those before Braedy came along. Everyone gets a first birthday hoopla and that's it ( though he did get screwed there b/c we were moving into our house that week ).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 04:47 AM   #5409  
Hardware Hotshot

HI girls no I have not fallen off the face of the earth into the Retail black hole Sure feels like it though :( THe past 2 days I have worked from 1-11 with only a 30 min break! OUCH!
But today is much better only 10-5 for me today
Then it is girls night out! YEPPIE!
So you may not see me around but know I am haveing fun!
have a great day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 05:02 AM   #5410  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I totally get the gesture behind the effort, and we don't, and wouldn't do that at a birthday party - it's a request that we make only to our family and closest friends. I've done the same thing for my last three birthdays. Sometimes it works, but more often than not, it doesn't.

I'm sure that it sounds ungrateful to some, but I understand the not opening things. We don't make the kids choose, but they do know that with the coming of new things, also comes the departure of old, for the sake of space.

So now, they automatically pick and choose. If the new toy is something that they won't really play with, it ends up donated, either at the local women & childrens shelter or TFT if we have room to store it for the year.
It isn't something that we do to be snobbish or weird - we simply don't have space to be additionally excessive ( 1400 sq ft, no garage, and five people who all have a lot of stuff makes for cramped quarters easily ), and we've hit the point where we don't "need" anything.
So the kids' xmas lists have a lot of clothes and DVDs on them, or on occasion, we'll ask for gift card sto specific stores, to combine to buy one joint big ticket item ( like replacing their DVD player this past summer ), but again, that's only to family and close friends.

To avoid the birthday party excess, we simply do not hold them. We celebrate, and they get to do something with a friend - a something that they choose - but a big party with a gazzillion kids?? NO. I stopped doing those before Braedy came along. Everyone gets a first birthday hoopla and that's it ( though he did get screwed there b/c we were moving into our house that week ).
I am the opposite, family and close friends give her presents. I see so many posts in another group I am in such as, "my son was invited to a bday party we don't know very well. What should I get for a gift? how much should I spend?" etc, that I figure there are quite a few parents that have the same thoughts regarding my kid and are getting her something just to have something to bring and I kinda wanted to spare them that. I admit it is also a selfish gesture as we also have NO space. We live in a four room apt. two rooms up and two rooms down, one of which is the kitchen. So yeah, we do the closet sweep before Christmas and birthday, too. (Those are not the things I was referring to for TFT, we bought those at Walmart this week) In years past she has been given the choice of a party (no more kids than her age, up to 8 total) a special day out with a friend, or a weekend away with us. This past Feb was the first ever gazillion kids party and that was cuz it was a shared party with her 'birthday twin'. This year she is already talking about wanting a weekend away.

I'm sorry I seem ungrateful. I can certainly see how I am coming across that way. My goal truly was just to teach Alafair that since she is content with all that she has that it is nice to give to those who haven't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 06:16 AM   #5411  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

But why? I'm not trying to be obnoxious, but what is the other side?
Well, since you asked...
sometimes parents are teaching their children the joy of giving and celebrating someone else's milestones. Sometimes a parent just can't stand the idea that a child wouldn't have fun presents on their special day, so they give to the charity and get a present (sometimes feeling a bit overwhelmed at feeling the need to do both). Even if they are imposing that need upon themselves.
I have heard this conversation from my daughters classmates parents every year. DD was in a self contained class so she moved on with the same 23 children every year. One family held a bd party each year and invited the class with the stipulation of no gifts - Molly has chosen this charity to donate to instead. Believe me every year parents were discussing this, some outraged, some disappointed, some grateful, some puzzled, etc.
I guess I took away from the discussions I heard that it might be better to let people do what they want to celebrate a child's birthday and teach children by example and through family resources.
You just can't please everyone.
I have to be honest (and I know this family fairly well so I am only speaking of their circumstances) I felt, (really knew because Molly was a great friend of my dd's) it was NOT Molly's decision, except to choose a charity on a list presented by her parents. So I really didn't feel it was teaching Molly anything, but, perhaps making her a little resentful. I was one who gifted the child and the charity, IF I approved of the charity, one year they had one that went against a moral value of mine and just gifted Molly. i think if the child comes up with the idea or is all for it it does teach, but I don't think you will make many adults beleive this to be the case, and you will find presents anyway.
So you see although you are trying to set a good examle and teach your child an incredibly important life lesson, it goes against the "norm" and isn't always well received. Just showing the other side.

I love the idea of going away with the family I would love to try that next year with my kids, since their bd's are jsut 4 weeks apart we could do a combined fun weekend away.

Last edited by SuG; 12-04-2008 at 06:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 06:17 AM   #5412  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

please know Gael I am not saying it is a bad idea, I am just telling you what was discussed when this came up here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 06:36 AM   #5413  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

please know Gael I am not saying it is a bad idea, I am just telling you what was discussed when this came up here.
Nope, you are awesome!!! and you are right, I DID ask, because I truly did not know. Thank you for opening my eyes! I can see what you mean by other side. Seems like there are so many sides...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 06:46 AM   #5414  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 08:10 AM   #5415  
Die Cut Diva

Roberta! I kept reading waiting to hear something bad & I'm glad that it was all ok!
How scary!!!

Find me on IG! crafting_ra_away
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 08:43 AM   #5416  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

I am the opposite, family and close friends give her presents. I see so many posts in another group I am in such as, "my son was invited to a bday party we don't know very well. What should I get for a gift? how much should I spend?" etc, that I figure there are quite a few parents that have the same thoughts regarding my kid and are getting her something just to have something to bring and I kinda wanted to spare them that. I admit it is also a selfish gesture as we also have NO space. We live in a four room apt. two rooms up and two rooms down, one of which is the kitchen. So yeah, we do the closet sweep before Christmas and birthday, too. (Those are not the things I was referring to for TFT, we bought those at Walmart this week) In years past she has been given the choice of a party (no more kids than her age, up to 8 total) a special day out with a friend, or a weekend away with us. This past Feb was the first ever gazillion kids party and that was cuz it was a shared party with her 'birthday twin'. This year she is already talking about wanting a weekend away.

I'm sorry I seem ungrateful. I can certainly see how I am coming across that way. My goal truly was just to teach Alafair that since she is content with all that she has that it is nice to give to those who haven't.
I think that we both have the same idea - we just go about it from slightly different angles. ;)

I'm nodding along about the no space bit. That makes it twice as difficult, and somehow, it turns into someone being upset - either us or the giver of a gift.
Our boys share a bedroom, and their birthdays are six days apart; one year Jennah's godparents bough the boys huge toys - one an indoor basketball hoop and the other a dart / skiball setup.
We literally could not set either item up in the house. There wasn't enough floor space for one, let alone both.
And though the couple who bought the items knows about our constraints, she was really miffed when I suggested that the toys go to her house to be enjoyed, or that they be whisked up to the cottage and played with over the summers up there.

In the end, we just can't please everyone. C'est la vie, eh?

We probably looked like the rudest parents on the planet; not only do we not hold parties, we do not attend them.
My philosophy is that if we attend for one, we're seeingly obligated to attend for the whole group ( at least with Jennah's circle, and there are nine of them ), to avoid hurting feelings. So we simply do not attend at all, and Jennah just brings a small gift and a card to school.
No parent pressure that way, and I'm not dealing with PO'd moms because my kid attended the neighbor's party but not her DD's.

It's all too cliqueish and insane, so we just avoid it as much as possible. Once it's explained to the parents ( and I always do; we never just blow anyone off ), most of them are okay with it, and Miss J gets the invites out of courtesy.

Her birthday is right around the corner, and she's asking for a sleepover or a day out somewhere. We vetoed the sleepover ( nowhere to put the extra kids without it being an intrusion to the boys sleeping, too ), but she was told that she could pick four friends ( because both of our cars seat five ) and an event and we'd do it.

This is the part of parenting that I didn't plan for; who knew it'd be so darn frustrating! :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 08:44 AM   #5417  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs_SView Post
Roberta! I kept reading waiting to hear something bad & I'm glad that it was all ok!
How scary!!!
My thoughts exactly! I am glad to hear that everything worked out, you got me worried as I was reading that post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 08:54 AM   #5418  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Well, since you asked...
sometimes parents are teaching their children the joy of giving and celebrating someone else's milestones. Sometimes a parent just can't stand the idea that a child wouldn't have fun presents on their special day, so they give to the charity and get a present (sometimes feeling a bit overwhelmed at feeling the need to do both). Even if they are imposing that need upon themselves.
I have heard this conversation from my daughters classmates parents every year. DD was in a self contained class so she moved on with the same 23 children every year. One family held a bd party each year and invited the class with the stipulation of no gifts - Molly has chosen this charity to donate to instead. Believe me every year parents were discussing this, some outraged, some disappointed, some grateful, some puzzled, etc.
I guess I took away from the discussions I heard that it might be better to let people do what they want to celebrate a child's birthday and teach children by example and through family resources.
You just can't please everyone.
I have to be honest (and I know this family fairly well so I am only speaking of their circumstances) I felt, (really knew because Molly was a great friend of my dd's) it was NOT Molly's decision, except to choose a charity on a list presented by her parents. So I really didn't feel it was teaching Molly anything, but, perhaps making her a little resentful. I was one who gifted the child and the charity, IF I approved of the charity, one year they had one that went against a moral value of mine and just gifted Molly. i think if the child comes up with the idea or is all for it it does teach, but I don't think you will make many adults beleive this to be the case, and you will find presents anyway.
So you see although you are trying to set a good examle and teach your child an incredibly important life lesson, it goes against the "norm" and isn't always well received. Just showing the other side.

I love the idea of going away with the family I would love to try that next year with my kids, since their bd's are jsut 4 weeks apart we could do a combined fun weekend away.
That's a very valid point, Su! And our choices, as adults, to opt for charities instead of gifts is not something that we impose upon the kids... that would have to be their choice, and I don't feel like any of mine are old enough to make that decision without emotional turmoil when the day arrived.
It kills me to have to make them weed out perfectly good toys twice a year, but for the sake of space, we simply have to.
They're spoiled en masse by numerous loved ones, so the stockpile builds quickly.

I look forward to the day that we have a huge house and we can just give them a giant playroom full of cubbies and drawers to store all of their stuff, but that's still quite a ways out... by that time, it'll need to be a rec room for teenagers instead. ;)

Our school doesn't pod the kids anymore, but because we only have two of each grade, there are roughly a dozen kids in Jennah's class that she has gone straight through from kindergarten with, plus there is a lot of interaction with the other third grade class... and yes, the parents DO talk! ( if only you'd heard my sigh when I typed that... )

I don't know how you pulled it off so eloquently. I'd rather distance myself from the situation and avoid the drama.

I was fully prepared for homework, tutoring and the probability of special needs kids, but this clique and faux pas stuff... UGH. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 09:00 AM   #5419  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by babitoonsView Post
My thoughts exactly! I am glad to hear that everything worked out, you got me worried as I was reading that post.
Thanks, guys.:mrgreen:

I'm tougher than that - AND I keep a police issued taser gun and pepper spray tucked next to me in my car. ;)

My husband is still cranky with me this morning. Not for helping - refusal goes against everything that we've learned from Buddha - but for his broken sleep.

I got the awesomest thank you email this morning, from William. So didn't expect that... he had to do some homework to get ahold of my work email adx. It's public record, but it's only on one page of the GRPD contacts website. Wasn't necessary, but it made me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Warm and fuzzy enough that I braved a field trip to a farming expo with my DD's third grade class on a whim.

FYI - a dozen sheep, live chickens and a two week old calf, all confined in a small convention room is STINKY.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 10:11 AM   #5420  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Thanks, guys.:mrgreen:

I'm tougher than that - AND I keep a police issued taser gun and pepper spray tucked next to me in my car. ;)

My husband is still cranky with me this morning. Not for helping - refusal goes against everything that we've learned from Buddha - but for his broken sleep.

I got the awesomest thank you email this morning, from William. So didn't expect that... he had to do some homework to get ahold of my work email adx. It's public record, but it's only on one page of the GRPD contacts website. Wasn't necessary, but it made me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Warm and fuzzy enough that I braved a field trip to a farming expo with my DD's third grade class on a whim.

FYI - a dozen sheep, live chickens and a two week old calf, all confined in a small convention room is STINKY.
Oh that's awesome that you got a thank-you email. Those are always nice to get... & glad it was a scary man! LOL

and guuuurrrrllllll... taser gun & pepper spray?! way to go!!!!!! I LOVE it! More women should carry these!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 10:13 AM   #5421  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

It didn't have me do anything but a click... I wonder if the link you used just auto voted for the shelter you chose?? I hope so!
nope. you have to still go to the purple tab on the right hand side of the screen, click, and fill in the info.... I made the same mistake!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 10:22 AM   #5422  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

i sincerely hope my children are learning from our example, dh is on the school board, a hugely time consuming act of volunteerism, and I volunteer for everything the schools do and I am on the board of a foundation that raises money for the schools and educational pursuits. Dh's mother started and just recently retired from running the local food pantry/ advocacy group in our town. And that is just a few of the things they see us spending our time with. They are often recruited to help with projects.
I look forward to the day one of them comes home and says they signed up to volunteer at...

I have also heard of parents asking their children to pick one of their presents to donate to a child who may never be able to have so much. That always seems like a nice non pressure gesture that gives them awareness.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 10:32 AM   #5423  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

i sincerely hope my children are learning from our example, dh is on the school board, a hugely time consuming act of volunteerism, and I volunteer for everything the schools do and I am on the board of a foundation that raises money for the schools and educational pursuits. Dh's mother started and just recently retired from running the local food pantry/ advocacy group in our town. And that is just a few of the things they see us spending our time with. They are often recruited to help with projects.
I look forward to the day one of them comes home and says they signed up to volunteer at...

I have also heard of parents asking their children to pick one of their presents to donate to a child who may never be able to have so much. That always seems like a nice non pressure gesture that gives them awareness.
Awesome. I raise my glass to all three of you. :mrgreen:

How old are your kids, Su?

I love hearing from other active parents, especially when it's folks outside of our area. We can all learn so many things from each other.

I was asked to run for our school board, but I know what a huge committment it is, and with my kids still being so small, and my DH having erratic hours and a constantly changing job site... well, I aim to, but it needs to wait a couple of years.
I do a lot of other things with the district though, at a citywide level. It's a lot of work, but incredibly rewarding ( as you well know ).

I can see the start of a positive seed in my daughter. She asks to come and help out at events, she goes across the street and salts the steps for the senior who we adopt every winter ( to do her shoveling and such ), and she's the only one who doesn't complain about donating things when it's time to purge and make decisions. Jennah knows that she's a fairly spoiled and very lucky child, and I am grateful that it hasn't gone ( completely ) to her head.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 10:32 AM   #5424  
Stazon Splitcoast

holy freaking cow, lots of stuff I missed.

Roberta, glad you're ok! wowzers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 10:33 AM   #5425  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

nope. you have to still go to the purple tab on the right hand side of the screen, click, and fill in the info.... I made the same mistake!
I'll get it right tomorrow, I promise!:mrgreen: ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #5426  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Good for you Gael for teaching your DD values!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 10:36 AM   #5427  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs_SView Post
Oh that's awesome that you got a thank-you email. Those are always nice to get... & glad it wasn't a scary man! LOL

and guuuurrrrllllll... taser gun & pepper spray?! way to go!!!!!! I LOVE it! More women should carry these!
I totally agree. EVERY woman should have a pepper spray on her keychain. I can't think of a military supply store that doesn't carry them, and many womens centers offer them for free.
They're single use dosages, but that blast is wicked.

I've only ever had to deploy one ( though when I worked in a bar, we did mace a couple of fruitcakes ).
The skin on my hand burned for about an hour after the fact, but it got the point across.:twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 10:39 AM   #5428  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Gael i love the idea of having a bag of toys to pick from and going to the toys for tots donation bin with one. Would certainly make errand running more of a pleasure if the kids had an important errand to run too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 10:41 AM   #5429  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

I totally agree. EVERY woman should have a pepper spray on her keychain. I can't think of a military supply store that doesn't carry them, and many womens centers offer them for free.

I've only ever had to deploy one ( though when I worked in a bar, we did mace a couple of fruitcakes ).
The skin on my hand burned for about an hour after the fact, but it got the point across.:twisted:
aren't you afraid they will grab your hand and point it at you? That is my fear of carrying it around, I have flashbacks of when I would think I was so smart and sneak up on my older brother to spray him with the hose and would grab my hand so fast, I was always the one running away screaming and wet! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 10:42 AM   #5430  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I am already making a list of who gets sprayed/tased first. I probably would be one of the 5% that really shouldn't carry one... (and believe it or not, ex hubby is not on the list - yet...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 10:47 AM   #5431  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Roberta, the school board can be really gratifying, but at least around here it is 2-4meetings a week depending on what committees you are a part of. Right now we are having a really rough time in our district with various happenings and the stress is overwhelming. I don't really want my dh to run again, but I don't completely trust some of the other board members to do a good job. My kids miss dad being around and all the homework help has to fall on my shoulders. (unfortunately even in 5th grade they are doing math above my level)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 10:47 AM   #5432  
Stazon Splitcoast

We adopted a family this morning. Annabella has been bouncing around for a few hours talking about what we should "gib for them"! lol! My brother and two sisters learned early about volunteerism, and all actively still volunteer. My eldest sister manages a non-profit that teaches literacy, and ESL. My brother donates time to the local food pantry and an animal rights group. My younger sister is interested in womens rights issues.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 10:48 AM   #5433  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

It's illegal to have here. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #5434  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

aren't you afraid they will grab your hand and point it at you? That is my fear of carrying it around, I have flashbacks of when I would think I was so smart and sneak up on my older brother to spray him with the hose and would grab my hand so fast, I was always the one running away screaming and wet! LOL!
Trust me, when your instincts kick in, there usually isn't enough time for them to react. The hardest part is getting past the fear and moving into defense mode. Most people freeze by nature.
The important part is having or keeping those keys handy. I don't throw mine into my purse if I can help it; they're either in a pants pocket, or in my hand.

If I'm mugged and someone gets the purse with my keys inside, I'm screwed all the way around. If they get my purse but I still have my keys, at least I don't need to install new locks on my house, and in all likelihood, will still have my car.

I've carried a portable spray ever since I was attacked in high school. If I'd had it at the time.... well, I could've avoided some humiliation, a court case and several hours of therapy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 10:50 AM   #5435  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

It's illegal to have here. :(
Well, that just stinks!:(

Do they allow any portable defense weapons at all?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 10:51 AM   #5436  
Stazon Splitcoast

ttyl...gonna grab a nap b4 shopping tonight!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 10:59 AM   #5437  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Roberta, the school board can be really gratifying, but at least around here it is 2-4meetings a week depending on what committees you are a part of. Right now we are having a really rough time in our district with various happenings and the stress is overwhelming. I don't really want my dh to run again, but I don't completely trust some of the other board members to do a good job. My kids miss dad being around and all the homework help has to fall on my shoulders. (unfortunately even in 5th grade they are doing math above my level)
Yep. Same deal here. As a board member, one agree sto doing so many hours of extras on top of the board.... it just about owns one's soul.

Google Grand Rapids Public Schools sometime. All hell has broken loose here for about a year and a half now.
The union leader wants me as an ally due to my day job and location as a resident ( no one represents the 'west side' besides myself ), and our Communications guy / the Superintendent's Right Arm sucks me into as many things as he possibly can, because of the same reasons.
I see pros and cons to both sides, and the new ruling that the made this week that no student can receive a failing grade ( it's an 'H' now instead of an 'F' )... don't get me started on that... :rolleyes:

*nods* I don't understand the people who sign on for the ego trip. That's just crazy to me.

I know!!! When they switched to the Everyday Math, my husband was utterly lost. I took a class on it, as a refresher, and I still get hung up on the equations, and my kid's only in third grade. I was telling my DH last night that by the time they're in fifth grade, our kids will be smarter than we are. ( and Jeff Foxworthy started it as a half joke... )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #5438  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Trust me, when your instincts kick in, there usually isn't enough time for them to react. The hardest part is getting past the fear and moving into defense mode. Most people freeze by nature.
The important part is having or keeping those keys handy. I don't throw mine into my purse if I can help it; they're either in a pants pocket, or in my hand.

If I'm mugged and someone gets the purse with my keys inside, I'm screwed all the way around. If they get my purse but I still have my keys, at least I don't need to install new locks on my house, and in all likelihood, will still have my car.

I've carried a portable spray ever since I was attacked in high school. If I'd had it at the time.... well, I could've avoided some humiliation, a court case and several hours of therapy.
it is for that reason a friend told me to always have my cell phone in a pocket and not in my purse. I thought that was great advice. so keys in one pocket, cell phone in the other, going to have to start wearing stretchy pants with pockets LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 11:16 AM   #5439  
Die Cut Diva

LOL

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2008, 11:17 AM   #5440  
Die Cut Diva

And always check the backseat of your car before you get in...

I had a friend check before she got in & realized that her front passenger seat was leaning back & she didn't leave it that way. As she was about to open the door, she stopped, ran away... a guy was sitting in the seat waiting for her to get in!

Reply With Quote Likes