Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-02-2015, 08:57 AM   #81  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Compared to cross stitch forums, this site is crazy active! Stitch forums have all but disappeared over the last 10 years. I miss them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2015, 09:01 AM   #82  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I've almost joined this conversation multiple times, but my thoughts haven't "gelled" enough for me to be able to properly articulate the thoughts in Odd Brain. Even now they are something of a muddle, so here's a bit of stream-of-consciousness musing:

I have been on SCS since 2006, so I've seen a lot of "cycling" - sometimes there's a lot going on, sometimes less. There's a brief "history" of Splitcoast HERE, if anyone's interested. Because the site was started as a support for SU! demos, there has always been heavier attention to that particular company, but it wasn't long before other companies were being represented here.

An analogy of the stamping industry in general always comes to mind: In the early days of "rock and roll", it was easy to keep track of all of the most popular artists, as there weren't all that many and the venues (radio stations - mostly AM back then) were limited. Fast forward a few decades and there are SO MANY artists in SO MANY places (TV, radio (AM and FM and Sirius and XM and so on), streaming (Rhapsody and Spotify and others), and online on YouTube and other venues, as well), that it is virtually impossible to keep track of all of them - or even MOST of them! Ditto in the stamping world - more and more companies are producing tools and toys and stamps and they all have design teams and they're on Facebook and Instagram and Pinterest and Tumblr and anywhere/everywhere else!

Just from watching over the years, it seems to me that this site has been like a showcase for new artists, and the "best of the best" were wooed by companies - established and start-up alike - to be on design teams or to be exclusive reps for a brand and all the rest of it. Some remained prolific here, some moved on, some cycled back around. As blogs became more popular the traffic here splintered a bit and, with the explosion of Facebook, I think that it's become more true.

Even people that used to be sort of "standards" - names/faces that you saw regularly here - have moved on or gone through cycles of activity/inactivity. New "standards" take their place, and the pattern repeats. If you look at the Featured Stamper challenges from "back in the day" and up to the current time, you can sort of see what I mean...

I know for myself, personally, I spent quite awhile "lurking" before joining any conversations - getting a feel for the site, learning how to even post in a forum, getting braver, etc. My involvement or non-involvement is directly related to what's going on in my "real life". When I have a lot on my plate and my attention is too divided, I vanish almost entirely. When things are more manageable, I come back around. I think many others are like that, as well.

I also think that burnout is a reason for some to have moved on. I know that Beate was with SCS from the earliest days, and she hit the wall last year (I think it was last year) and bowed out of papercrafting entirely - even sold off all of her stamps and tools (I bought some of them - go, me!) Interests wax and wane, and that's true across the board...

I think of Splitcoast as something of a living, breathing organism made up of many parts (the members), and everyone plays different roles. Some are organizing gurus (yes, I'm looking at you, Diane (fionna51)), some are incredibly inspiring in a particular technique (Zindorf and Kittie747), some are just generally nice (Lydia (UnderstandBlue) and JoBear2), some are all over the boards and galleries (Cook22) - you get my drift. All of the pieces/parts morph and evolve and artists come and go, and conversations get a lot of attention, then none, but the whole thing remains (in my mind, at least) a viable, inspiring community of genuinely lovely people connected by a love of this craft - in all of its varieties.

Long live Splitcoast! Yeah, that's way too much already... ;)

Last edited by gregzgurl; 04-02-2015 at 09:17 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #83  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post

An analogy of the stamping industry in general always comes to mind: In the early days of "rock and roll", it was easy to keep track of all of the most popular artists, as there weren't all that many and the venues (radio stations - mostly AM back then) were limited. Fast forward a few decades and there are SO MANY artists in SO MANY places (TV, radio (AM and FM and Sirius and XM and so on), streaming (Rhapsody and Spotify and others), and online on YouTube and other venues, as well), that it is virtually impossible to keep track of all of them - or even MOST of them! Ditto in the stamping world - more and more companies are producing tools and toys and stamps and they all have design teams and they're on Facebook and Instagram and Pinterest and Tumblr and anywhere/everywhere else!

Good analogy, Sue.
And, since I know I have very finite time, that's why here IS my social media, along with some very random blogging primarily for myself, and a few blogs I follow.

Lela - even on the phone I use multiple tabs. Not so much for viewing the gallery but sometimes I use the phone for moderating (our laptop is getting to be beyond geriatric, and it's not always convenient to come upstairs to the desktop), and I will open the pending uploads in multiple tabs. It might save you a little scrolling. But in the scheme of life, as you say it's not one of the most pressing problems :mrgreen:.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2015, 11:20 AM   #84  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 41 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll play with the tab thing, thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2015, 12:18 PM   #85  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by StamperDeaView Post
I don't have accounts with FB, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest or any other social media and don't plan to join any of them. (Although Pinterest is tempting.) I rarely even go to the SCS galleries because of time issues. But I log into the forum almost every day. Love it. Love all the information, assistance, tips, and yes, the love, shared here. After I retire, I hope to spend more time with the galleries, commenting on some things, reading more subforums and maybe even, gasp, uploading a few cards. I hope SCS never moves to FB. FB is fine for some things but I find the format distracting. I much prefer the style of the forums or listservs. (Anybody else remember listservs?) Also I don't think FB is conducive to communicating much content.

Thanks for being here SCS!
Dea
Ditto what she said!!!!! SCS is perfect as is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2015, 04:43 PM   #86  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sigh...I've been here since 2004 and have read the boards nearly everyday since. I still miss Beate and Jenn Balcer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2015, 08:32 PM   #87  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I come on this forum to find out what people are doing. I will admit I love gadgets. I live in a city that has a Michael's, Hobby Lobby and an updated JoAnn's opening in a couple weeks. These stores usually don't have the latest and greatest so if it weren't for the internet I wouldn't even know what I wanted. In my opinion the Misti is not a gadget. It really does what it is meant to do and then some. I also love fussy cutting on one project but if I have to do more than one I love the cutting machines. I also have trouble writing short to the point replies so I rarely reply...lol. I do enjoy that this list has good arguments about products and the backstabbing isn't as bad as most list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2015, 10:29 AM   #88  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also really enjoyed this thread and I took some time to think about what i wanted to say. There is a lot of mention / discussion of stampin up stuff [which i dont have]. i would love to see more discussion about other companies, other products. I didnt even know what scarlet lime is or who is julie Balzer [sp?]. unlike most of you, i am very new to this craft and i really think i am here to stay! i have read all the past threads on prismacolor, which ATG gun,etc! now i check the forum daily to see what new discussions are happening. at first, i was scared to post something, what if someone tells me "thats stupid" or "u should know that", but guess what, no one did! and everyone has been very welcoming and friendly. other email/ blogs i have always been a lurker. so i think new people have that same fear. i have not started any new threads, maybe that same fear?
at first, i didnt know what a lot of abbreviations meant, it took me time to figure out what is RAK, DT, etc!
i have not ventured outside of the forum. i only looked at the gallery once for stamping/craft rooms. not really went to look at cards there! never really thought about it. and honestly i dont know if i really would comment. i guess i never thought the creator would read it. and i havent posted any of mine yet. too afraid that its not good enough like all the stuff you guys make. or that someone would say "thats a copy of "a certain card...." i didnt know that card casing was a thing! now that i have read this thread, maybe i will make more of an effort to look at the cards and comment. i am on pinterest all day and pin a ton of card ideas.

maybe i should have the thought - "i enjoy reading other's comments, so if i posted, then other people may enjoy reading mine" because i keep thinking "my comments are so dumb. why did i write that. who wants to read what i have to say"

overall, thanks for having this group and allowing me to participate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2015, 02:18 PM   #89  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CopperkidsView Post
I also really enjoyed this thread and I took some time to think about what i wanted to say. There is a lot of mention / discussion of stampin up stuff [which i dont have]. i would love to see more discussion about other companies, other products. I didnt even know what scarlet lime is or who is julie Balzer [sp?]. unlike most of you, i am very new to this craft and i really think i am here to stay! i have read all the past threads on prismacolor, which ATG gun,etc! now i check the forum daily to see what new discussions are happening. at first, i was scared to post something, what if someone tells me "thats stupid" or "u should know that", but guess what, no one did! and everyone has been very welcoming and friendly. other email/ blogs i have always been a lurker. so i think new people have that same fear. i have not started any new threads, maybe that same fear?
at first, i didnt know what a lot of abbreviations meant, it took me time to figure out what is RAK, DT, etc!
i have not ventured outside of the forum. i only looked at the gallery once for stamping/craft rooms. not really went to look at cards there! never really thought about it. and honestly i dont know if i really would comment. i guess i never thought the creator would read it. and i havent posted any of mine yet. too afraid that its not good enough like all the stuff you guys make. or that someone would say "thats a copy of "a certain card...." i didnt know that card casing was a thing! now that i have read this thread, maybe i will make more of an effort to look at the cards and comment. i am on pinterest all day and pin a ton of card ideas.

maybe i should have the thought - "i enjoy reading other's comments, so if i posted, then other people may enjoy reading mine" because i keep thinking "my comments are so dumb. why did i write that. who wants to read what i have to say"

Yes we want to read your comments! Our favourite cardmaking site needs new blood and lots of input to keep it alive and vibrant! I have been around for quite awhile and have noticed the absence of some but also the presence of others we were all new once... and welcomed with open arms.

So I hope others who may not participate but are faithful lurkers will take the plunge and jump in the pool! That is how it keeps fresh and alive. I don't believe the craft is dying, changing perhaps, as all things do. But there are still people bitten by the bug and you make it fun for all of us when you join in
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2015, 02:20 PM   #90  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CopperkidsView Post

Oh please do! I'm not sure there are many original ideas left out there and we all get inspiration from somewhere. I am a huge pinterest fan and have increased my creativity enormously since starting that particular addiction... I mostly post my cards there, and read this forum here. There is a place for both for sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2015, 07:02 PM   #91  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Just another comment on the whole "my cards aren't good enough to upload" thought - EVERYONE started out somewhere other than "perfect", or even "very good". I was really sad when I read on another thread that people actually went back and deleted the cards they had posted early on in their gallery because they thought they were ugly or cheesy or whatever. I LOVE to see the early projects - it show me the evolution of that artist and how their taste or style - or both - has changed over time. AND - everyone here is so kind that there would never be anything but encouragement in the comments.

Speaking of which - EVERYONE LOVES COMMENTS!!! If you just say "wow" or "nice color" or whatever, the person whose card you commented on still gets a warm fuzzy
If you care to be more elaborate, so much the better, but it's far more rewarding to have a comment or two than have a bunch of views and no one saying anything. When that happens I wonder what's wrong with the card... If there aren't many views, either, then I don't worry about it, but if a bunch of people look at it and say nothing at all, then I figure it's "unworthy"...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2015, 07:56 PM   #92  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnishView Post
I think more and more people are turning to Facebook groups for their crafting. The use of mobile devices also makes the Facebook groups more appealing because of the ease in which photos can be uploaded. I still love Splitcoast but rarely upload photos because it isn't a quick an easy process. If Splitcoast had a iPhone app, and even better, a stronger link with Facebook, I think the activity level would increase like crazy and it would return to being the busy site it used to be.
I agree with you. I am on a number of Facebook groups for stampers and they are all very active with thousands of members. I have to disagree about photo uploads though, I've always found them rather quick and easy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2015, 10:20 PM   #93  
Insane Embellisher

I agree, I believe its Facebook. Pretty much every stamp company has a Facebook page. They post something on FB pretty much everyday. Then there are many groups on FB, where people go share their cards and ask questions etc. Splitcoast is even on FB. I rarely come here anymore because its pretty empty. Splitcoast is a great place. Times change I guess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2015, 04:30 AM   #94  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

To Copperkidz, never, ever be afraid to ask a question on here, no matter how daft you think it might be. We all started somewhere, and there are always things we didn't know. Everyone on here will answer anything you ask, no matter how basic, with courtesy and as much info as they can. As for comments, as Gregzgurl said, any comment is always very much appreciated by the poster, even if its only a smiley! And the card maker gets an email if someone has commented on a card they posted, so they do realise. And yes, we all thought, and often still do, that our work is nowhere near as good as someone else's. I think that's because we are always our own worst critic, and see 'faults' no one else would even consider as such. You'd be surprised what an insecure bunch we all are, . The Tools and Products thread is always worth reading- you get the honest 'hands on user' info, rather than the advertising blurb! Every manufacturer thinks their product is the bees knees- once 'real' crafters have had a go with it, its often surprising how many little details crop up to help the new users get the most from it, and save a lot of wasted time and disappointment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2015, 04:40 AM   #95  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I come here every day, often more than once a day. I do follow SplitCoast on Facebook but don't get too much inspiration from it. Here I can read the forums, chat with stamping friends, and see hundreds of new cards posted in the gallery. It has slowed down though, no question about that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2015, 08:59 PM   #96  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
To Copperkidz, never, ever be afraid to ask a question on here, no matter how daft you think it might be. We all started somewhere, and there are always things we didn't know. Everyone on here will answer anything you ask, no matter how basic, with courtesy and as much info as they can. As for comments, as Gregzgurl said, any comment is always very much appreciated by the poster, even if its only a smiley! And the card maker gets an email if someone has commented on a card they posted, so they do realise. And yes, we all thought, and often still do, that our work is nowhere near as good as someone else's. I think that's because we are always our own worst critic, and see 'faults' no one else would even consider as such. You'd be surprised what an insecure bunch we all are, . The Tools and Products thread is always worth reading- you get the honest 'hands on user' info, rather than the advertising blurb! Every manufacturer thinks their product is the bees knees- once 'real' crafters have had a go with it, its often surprising how many little details crop up to help the new users get the most from it, and save a lot of wasted time and disappointment.
I couldn't have said it better myself I just learned today on SCS about the Sizzix Precision Base plate which other cardmakers have been using to cut more intricate dies which I am now planning on buying. I always sit on the fence when I hear about "a must-have tool" until I have read about it here on SCS what cardmakers think of it so I can make an informed choice. I have had so much help & advice from fellow SCS'ers over the years & been shown so much kindness. I have no friends who live near me who craft so being able to share my passion & excitement or my failures with people who understand or who can give me some advice is wonderful
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2015, 12:21 AM   #97  
*I stamp, therefore I am......*

oh Sallie I do not expect a comment in return for my one or two word comments that I often leave! My limited time coupled with not so great typing skills lend themselves to short comments, wish I had more time to gallery gaze!
I am a huge fan of your work and hope my seemingly terse comments in your gallery have not offended. They are heartfelt! Hugs, NR
Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbydujourView Post
There seems to be a general decline in scrapbooking/card making. I base this statement on the number of companies that have gone out of business in the last couple of years. Not only on-line, but independent and big box brick and mortar stores/shops. At Michael's in our area, they have moved depts within the stores. Where paper crafts used to be "front and center", it is now jewelry making and yarns....paper crafts is back in the far corner. I'm sure they have analysts who are looking at trends and design their stores accordingly. Just an example.

As for the SCS forums, I, personally, do not usually participate. I'm not into social media...the less about me "out there", the more I like it. I do many daily challenges, but lately I feel some have become redundant. Also commenting on others cards takes time, if one leaves more than one or two words....those always signal to me "I've commented on your card, now comment on mine"...no sincerity whatsoever. At times, commenting becomes an onus. Obviously, some SCSers are much more involved than I am...what I do is enough for me.
today is a gift, enjoy every minute....

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more. ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2015, 07:31 AM   #98  

Received 41 Likes on 16 Posts

We have a saying in my volunteer work ... "Don't count them, just serve them."

As the leader of many of the events, that phrase has helped me so many times when there has been a lower turn-out than expected. It's helped me focus in the moment on the service I was doing, and not on the "success" of it.

I am grateful for this discussion - I've learned a few things. Sue, I especially love the analogy to the music industry.

I am very very very very grateful for the SCS community.

Wishing you all a beautiful today.

Lela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2015, 07:44 AM   #99  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Times They Are a Changin'. What everyone is saying is true. It seems that everyone is finding different ways to do their card making. I am still an avid card maker, but I haven't made many new cards in awhile. I got a new Cricut Explore at Christmas, and I made a good handful of new cards with it. Love that cutter, smooth as butter! But for a few years now Splitcoast popularity has been going down. Best crafters on the planet were here and many still are but not staying around as often as before. Did everyone notice when Archivers closed all their Brick and Mortar stores? Many stores like it have closed too. Card making is still alive and well but it's changing big time. Social Media has changed a lot of things. I follow more Facebook card sites now than ever. Online stores are getting more and more popular for everyone's consumer buying. Not just cards and crafts either. Brick and mortar stores are closing in the Malls and strip malls all over the US--and these stores were once very, very popular. Because I have felt these changes, I've changed a little too. I'm going to get back into it, as I'm redoing my craft room. I'm painting it, re-planning it, going over storage systems etc. I think I'm redoing it because times have changed a bit. I need to make room for my Cricuts, and my cutting tables, etc. Styles have changed and tools have changed. I still love the craft very much, and haven't bought a store-bought card in ages! Times are just changing.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2015, 12:16 PM   #100  
Polyshrink Goddess

by the way, what is everyone's favorite forum on SCS. i read the "stamping talk, tools and product, then mission organization" in that order, cuz i love mission organization and i save that for last.

i did notice there is a lot more activity on SCS in the "other stuff", family matters, everyday stuff, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2015, 03:04 PM   #101  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenity_StamperView Post
"Don't count them, just serve them."
Love this.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2015, 03:19 PM   #102  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great thread! I can relate to what many of you have said about SCS.

I am a daily visitor, and have come here almost every day since I joined the site when I first started making cards.

I love reading all the comments, long or short, and always feel my day is the better for visiting here.

We do get the occasional "short-tempered" poster, but for the most part this site is the most friendly place on the internet. You will find lots of inspiration, encouragement and information here that you don't find anyplace else.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2015, 07:14 PM   #103  
Stazon Splitcoast

I come every evening and look at every single card in the gallery. Then I head over to the General Forum and read threads then off to Tools and products, Mission Organization, and the cards for a cause thread. SCS keeps me company for hours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2015, 05:15 AM   #104  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I come every evening and look at every single card in the gallery. Then I head over to the General Forum and read threads then off to Tools and products, Mission Organization, and the cards for a cause thread. SCS keeps me company for hours.
That's why you are such a go-to for info! You are so educated about all the new things, techniques, etc. ♥
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2015, 12:52 PM   #105  
Stampin' Fool

I just came back from being gone for a while and have noticed a change as well, but hope the tide will turn. Stuff happens and I know as "gregzgurl" so beautifully put it our lives become so busy for one reason or another.......

All I know is what originally brought me here was the generosity of so many to share their knowledge, passion, talents, etc. with one another. Our successes and "screw ups" help each other and I have grown and learned so much from this site. Things about new and old products, more uses for what I have and great ideas.

I don't post in the gallery mainly because I am technically challenged!! (Won't say how many tries it took to get my flower on!) I don't use social media like Facebook since I've had a couple of friends go through ID thief, so, I'm gun shy to expose too much of me out there! Yet even though I'm old, I still want to learn about my hobby and enjoy it, so go figure! There is a frustrated artist in me dying to get out before I die and that's what keeps me searching and wanting to find out the latest and greatest about all of this fun hobby!!

So please don't go away and please don't stop putting in your comments, because there are people out here like me, who may not be the biggest contributors, but are the big sponges still learning and soaking up what you have to offer and occasionally sharing what's worked for them. Thank you.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #106  
Mad Swapper

I'm back too after a long absence of several years. I've been lurking the past week and have been leaving comments in both the gallery and in challenge threads, but have noticed that there hasn't been much activity like the good ole days.

I know there's been a decline in paper crafting. It's evident when just walking into Michaels a few weeks ago to pick up some items for a last minute kids craft for my 5 year old niece. What happened since I turned a blind eye the past few years?!?!

It makes me sick whenever I see the value of tools, stamp sets, etc whenever I look on ebay. I guess there goes my plan to downsize my scrap room since I'm purging again. And now I wonder, if I need new plates for my Big Shot, are they even around anymore for me to replace? I, for one, have no idea what a Misti is. I have more than enough supplies and tools for several lifetimes and just really don't plan on adding any more.

As for the person who asked about what to do with swap returns? I was a really active SU demo and participated in/hosted too many swaps apparently. As I've been finding clusters of them, I donated it to From Our Hearts the past 7 years. My count is close to 1700 card fronts for our troops overseas. That's a lot of swapping. But I didn't have the heart to throw them away because they were all of high quality / detailed workmanship.

Speaking as a dormant swap*****, I've been peaking often into the swap forums here and most just seemed closed. I figure I'll just keep my eye out for when new ones that interest me open to join. What a difference though when compared to back in the day! There used to be so many swaps going on all the time.

I'm currently in the process of using up as many paper piecing embellishments received from my scrapping forum swaps (2peas) and incorporating them into cards to also donate to our troops overseas. It's my way of firing up the creative juices, along with visiting galleries here at SCS.

The reason I stepped away in early 2010-2011 was I just felt ... done. I needed a change. I had been scrapping/stamping consistently for something like 12-13 years and just needed more balance in my life. Now that crafting is luring me back, the first place I could remember was SCS, which is why I've been lurking recently.

I for one am happy for the SU references, even if SU seems to have changed a lot since i was actively demoing back between 2000-2005. Apparently the only current set I have is Lovely as a Tree. Colors? I'm completely lost on current SU colors. I have the old style SU dye ink pads - a complete set, and amazingly, they're still wet after 15 years!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2015, 05:15 PM   #107  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChingView Post
And now I wonder, if I need new plates for my Big Shot, are they even around anymore for me to replace?
Yep, the Big Shot is alive and very well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2015, 05:42 PM   #108  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by GirlFridayView Post
Yep, the Big Shot is alive and very well.
Thank goodness!! Thanks Sue. I'm still far from needing to purchase anything as I'm intent on using up my stash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2015, 05:33 AM   #109  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I love SCS and it's my go to place for the latest and greatest. I've looked at other sites and quite frankly none are as well organized as SCS so I hope it's always here.

I've always noticed that the activity comes and goes. Around holidays things pick up and then slow down once the weather is nice. It picks up around SU new catalog times and then slows down. CHA seems to bring more activity.

I recently joined the MISTI FB group and I even though it might be nice for others I find it horrible. You can't find an article again, pictures are every where, and the repetition of the same question drives me a little nutty. I may be just old school but to me it just doesn't work for doing research like here on SCS. If SCS goes the FB route I'll so sad.

I've been bad about posting things in my gallery and I rarely look at the galleries. For some reason I like Pinterest more for browsing but most of you know I'm all over forums. I love hearing new ideas, solutions, techniques, products, etc. I ever thankful for the SCS team and it's members.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2015, 05:53 AM   #110  
Matboard Maniac

Stamphappy - you can always find articles or other postings on the FB page for MISTI by doing a key word search. There is a Search This Group (only) search bar at the top of the main page to the right (look to the right of the MISTIfied - Members - Events - Photos - Files).

That's one feature of most groups on Facebook.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2015, 07:15 AM   #111  
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Received 379 Likes on 324 Posts

Fun thread! I've been here pretty much daily since the end of 2005. I don't post much in the threads anymore except in family matters in my little chatty group and during HYCCT. This is partly because I have three kids now and can't get sucked in to reading SCS all day. But I am here! Oh, and I post short comments because I feel like the more I talk the crazier I sound, lol! And I agree on starting topics you're interested in and just keep posting until someone joins you. It's hard to get a conversation going at times. Maybe I'll start a few. I'm looking for some good book images and sentiments, interested in learning modern calligraphy so I can write my own sentiments, and will probably be in the market for a new die cut machine this year. So if you're interested in any of those, be on the lookout and join in when I get around to it, lol. These ramblings have been brought to you by the letters COFFEE.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things, or make them unimportant. - The Eleventh Doctor
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2015, 08:58 AM   #112  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Sorry - posted on wrong thread!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2015, 09:13 AM   #113  

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I recently joined the MISTI FB group and I even though it might be nice for others I find it horrible. You can't find an article again, pictures are every where, and the repetition of the same question drives me a little nutty. I may be just old school but to me it just doesn't work for doing research like here on SCS.
I agree with you - for archived, indexed, organized information, (not to mention in chronological order! FB drives me batty with their bump algorithm) nothing beats a forum. If you just want a temporary and fast moving photo stream, social media is good for that. If I need to know something, 9 times out of 10, I find the answer on a forum.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2015, 09:15 AM   #114  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Judging by the number of dead/inactive blog feeds I have, I think many people moved on to Facebook!
I think that this is a bummer. I am one of those that is a lurker. I do this because it is my way to learn. But the bummer is that not everyone has a Facebook account. I am one of those. . . ugh if that is where everyone goes, I guess I will not be able to see new. :(

I will continue to come here to learn and admire the galleries.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2015, 09:45 AM   #115  

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissyOView Post
I think that this is a bummer. I am one of those that is a lurker. I do this because it is my way to learn. But the bummer is that not everyone has a Facebook account. I am one of those. . . ugh if that is where everyone goes, I guess I will not be able to see new. :(

Good for you for not getting into FB! I admire Sabrina for that as well. Because I promise you - once you're in - it's like Hotel California!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2015, 10:34 AM   #116  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissyOView Post

As you can tell from Lydia's reply, she knows that I am with you in not being on Facebook ;-). She friended me once but it wasn't me. I'm realistic about how much time I have.There's probably always going to be somewhere "new", the forums replaced the older bulletin boards, then it was blogs, then Facebook, then Pinterest!
There's still plenty here to keep us inspired. Almost everything I learn, I learn here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2015, 10:55 AM   #117  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
As you can tell from Lydia's reply, she knows that I am with you in not being on Facebook ;-)
I think there's a small but not insignificant number of us who choose, for one reason or another, not to be on FB. I'm another one with no FB account and no intention of ever having one. SCS and a couple of smaller (UK-based) forums are my online hang-outs and I plan to keep it that way

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2015, 11:10 AM   #118  
Mad Swapper

I got stuck with FB for family. The only way my nieces and nephew communicate is through fb. So if I want to see pictures of my great nieces and nephews, I have to use it. I can's see well enough to use it for stamping and don't care to.

"Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think." Buddha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2015, 11:14 AM   #119  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
I think there's a small but not insignificant number of us who choose, for one reason or another, not to be on FB. I'm another one with no FB account and no intention of ever having one. SCS and a couple of smaller (UK-based) forums are my online hang-outs and I plan to keep it that way
SCS is my online resource for daily inspiration and fellowship for this wonderful paper crafting hobby.

That said, I do belong to Facebook, and go there every day, but just to keep in touch with close friends and family. Our youngest daughter is the mother of eight wonderful kids, and lives about 45 minutes away from us. We visit her family, of course, but not every day. She is quite tech savvy and posts lots of pictures of the kids and what is going on in her day to day life (quite a lot, lol.)

I love FB for that reason - I get a daily virtual visit with my grandchildren!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2015, 02:00 PM   #120  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I'm like Bugga...my facebook is primarily for keeping up with my kids. But I have a few groups I am on as well. I'm a Rossiter coach so I keep up with those pages. I just joined a genealogy group for a class. But mostly it's so I can see what family is up to. I don't post much to my timeline, mostly to share with my kids.

Now, it's another thing with my Pinterest. :oops:
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes