Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-28-2011, 05:48 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default US vs Canada, SU

I know it's been done to death but I took a little hiatus from stamping and just recently took a good look at the SU summer mini. Wow! Well, I know it's all individual tastes, but I liked what I saw, until...Holy crapulous! The Open Sea-clear mount set is $21.06 USD, on line and online for Canadians it's $36.61!!!A difference of $15.51. Hmmmm, I think there be pirates in Utah! IT sure looks like piracy to me. I haven't seen such a price differential since SU first came to Canada and our dollar was at $0.60. They may beg to differ, but I cannot help but believe that for all the added costs of doing business in Canada, we Canadians are subsidizing the company. Of course I will still buy SU products, but from an American, which makes me sad as I love my demo. By the way, it will be legal for me to buy from an American since my sil will buy it for me and bring it up when she visits. For a third off the price, I think I can wait a month or two for the product.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

It is sad. We get told it's the cost of doing business in Canada, I call bull. I know it costs a little more to have a business across the border but some of the price differences are too much.

I've started to stock up on PTI paper/ribbons/buttons, waaaaaaaaaay cheaper and the quality is the same as SU's. I spend enough to get free S&H and have it shipped to a US parcel service and from there I pick it up. I spent $200 with them the other day, free shipping and way more product for my money.

I still love SU's products but if I can get the same thing elsewhere, I will.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2011, 09:08 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm extremely curious to see how the 'cost of doing business' in Australia, and recent change in the values of our dollars ($USD v's $AU) is going to affect prices in the new SU! catalogue thats coming our way in Sept. I've noticed that a lot of things, eg Tim Holtz and Spellbinder products, are priced much lower and are more affordable now. I buy a lot of SU! product, but that might change if prices are not revised lower.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2011, 03:38 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

It is sad. We get told it's the cost of doing business in Canada, I call bull. I know it costs a little more to have a business across the border but some of the price differences are too much.

I agree. I live in the mountains of the State of North Carolina in the summer and the price of gas in our little town is almost .20 cents higher per gallon than "down the hill". Guess where we get our groceries and gas???

Wanda G
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 03:19 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

SU are pirates for us Canadians. I belong to an Stampers 10 group so I do buy it. I am looking at purchasing my paper at Hobby Lobby because they have terrific sales on their paper. I no longer buy SU 12 x 12--H.L. is the same quality as SU (I live on the US border).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 05:01 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapbook4everView Post
SU are pirates for us Canadians. I belong to an Stampers 10 group so I do buy it. I am looking at purchasing my paper at Hobby Lobby because they have terrific sales on their paper. I no longer buy SU 12 x 12--H.L. is the same quality as SU (I live on the US border).
I too am a member of a stamping club so I am required to buy my monthly min but I try not to buy any more than that. I can get lots of other things elsewhere to satisfy my creative needs. Has anyone actually written SU on this? I am curious to know what their customer service reps are saying about this issue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 05:48 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianMomView Post
I too am a member of a stamping club so I am required to buy my monthly min but I try not to buy any more than that. I can get lots of other things elsewhere to satisfy my creative needs. Has anyone actually written SU on this? I am curious to know what their customer service reps are saying about this issue.
Believe me they know. They have addressed it to us demos, it's always the same reason, "the cost of doing business in Canada". But I find it funny that the dollar isn't the $.65 that it used to be, it's been strong for quite some time and yet the price remains. Well there was the one time they gave us a 10% discount.

It's their choice to charge what they charge, and it's my choice to spend my money with them or with someone else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 05:58 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was SU! reading this . . . here is what I interpret . . . . . the pricing difference sucks . . . . Canadians are not happy . . . . but they claim they will keep buying our product . . . . . why change? Just sayin' . . . . . are people just afraid to say they won't buy SU! anymore? I haven't pucharsed anything from them in 2 years. It's a principal thing. If I'm going to get screwed, I better get a kiss first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 06:02 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by wenchieView Post
It's a principal thing. If I'm going to get screwed, I better get a kiss first.
When I read this, I did an absolute LOL in the middle of my office and my coworkers think I'm crazy! Thanks for the morning laugh while I'm on break - I needed that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 06:05 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnishView Post
When I read this, I did an absolute LOL in the middle of my office and my coworkers think I'm crazy! Thanks for the morning laugh while I'm on break - I needed that!
TeeHee!!! Glad I could brighten your day a little.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 06:07 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

Quote:

If I was SU! reading this . . . here is what I interpret . . . . . the pricing difference sucks . . . . Canadians are not happy . . . . but they claim they will keep buying our product . . . . . why change? Just sayin' . . . . . are people just afraid to say they won't buy SU! anymore? I haven't pucharsed anything from them in 2 years. It's a principal thing. If I'm going to get screwed, I better get a kiss first.
Lol, too true. I think for a lot of people they love going to Clubs or a stamper 10 group so they're willing to pay that minimum to stay in the group and have a monthly night out.

But you're right, why change if we keep buying? Well as a demo I still have to spend my minimum, thankfully my club is over in a few months and then my money is freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee of obligations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 06:33 AM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

I live in Canada just across the border from Grand Portage. In Thunder Bay we have two craft stores, DATS a total scrapbooking store and Michaels. We have no choice but to pay what the SU and CM and CTMH companies want if we want the stuff.

Michaels here updays there stock on Tuesdays. No special requests and if you don't take what you see good grief forget trying to get one later.

My girlfriend lives in a little City called Dryden 250 miles west of us and there is a book store there that sells a few things. She also has to either travel 4.5 hours to get what she wants or to support the suppliers.

We can get the normal things here, but the pretty things and cutting systems these companies have are super so I guess that is why we do it. I luv scrapping. I love making cards, and you do what you have to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 06:54 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmama807View Post
I live in Canada just across the border from Grand Portage. In Thunder Bay we have two craft stores, DATS a total scrapbooking store and Michaels. We have no choice but to pay what the SU and CM and CTMH companies want if we want the stuff.

We can get the normal things here, but the pretty things and cutting systems these companies have are super so I guess that is why we do it. I luv scrapping. I love making cards, and you do what you have to do.
I know this isn't within the scope of this topic but I envy you being so close to a US border. I'm 6 hours from Maine and would have a post office box or one of those Kinek US addresses in a heartbeat if it was a shorter drive for me. Right now it would cost me a day and two tanks of gas (at least $80) to pick up a parcel in Maine so I'd have to spend a lot to make it worthwhile :-)

I do a lot of shopping on US sites that do ship to Canada, and a lot are discussed here on Splitcoast. You're missing out on some really great pricing if you're not doing any online shopping. Even allowing for postage, I've saved bags of money as compared to what some of the products cost locally, and many things you just can't buy locally even if money was no object.

We have to vote with our dollars and show Canadian retailers they have have to bring their prices more in line with the US pricing ... especially since the dollar has been more or less at par now for several months. On the same token, if SU doesn't bring their prices a little more in line by the next catalogue, I suspect you'll see a lot of people start looking elsewhere. I can't comment on CM but do know CTMH has been adjusting Canadian prices with each catalogue but I still think they have a bit more of a way to go to get things more in line.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 07:20 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

[/QUOTE]We have to vote with our dollars and show Canadian retailers they have have to bring their prices more in line with the US pricing ... especially since the dollar has been more or less at par now for several months. On the same token, if SU doesn't bring their prices a little more in line by the next catalogue, I suspect you'll see a lot of people start looking elsewhere. I can't comment on CM but do know CTMH has been adjusting Canadian prices with each catalogue but I still think they have a bit more of a way to go to get things more in line.[/QUOTE]

This is a problem across all types of retail, not just SU, etc. Clothing retailers, bookstores, etc all have different pricing for their Canadian customers and their US customers. Those that tick me off the most are the ones that display both their US and Canadian prices on the same tag - talk about rubbing salt into the wounds!! Even when I cross the border (I live right on the border), the toll is $4 US or $4.75 Canadian - excuse me, but my Canadian dollar is currently worth more than your US dollar so why do I have to pay more again?????

As much as I want to support my own Canadian economy by shopping locally, I just can't bring myself to pay significantly more for items because the US retailer won't adjust to the new economic reality that the Cdn dollar is stronger.

And this is a little off topic, but another thing that does really irritate me is the fact that the stores in the US won't accept my Canadian currency, even at par, even though we freely accept the US currency in our country (at least in my corner of Canada). It's not like I am giving you Crappy Tire money, or monopoly money - you can actually take my currency to the bank and they will give you credit for it!! I tried to pay for an item in US cash, and was 6 cents short. Instead of having to break a $50 US bill, I gave the clerk the 6 cents in Canadian coin - and she told me that she couldn't accept my Canadian nickel or penny. Seriously???? 6 cents????

Anyway, sorry for the rant - I actually enjoy shopping in the States, but that one thing just peeves me every time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 07:44 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I am very surprised that it took so LONG for this discussion to start and the Canadian customer to get riled (well not so surprised because that's the nature of Canadians)! The last time this happened the power that is SU issued a discount to their Canadian customers because of the dollar value for a month or two (I think). The 'cost of doing business' ploy is definitely sounding old and tiresome and to my way of thinking most likely BS! I used to spend bag-fulls of money on SU products but don't anymore. There are nicer stamps (fitting my particular taste), same quality paper and nicer punches, folders and inks available at other places for reasonable exchange rates. I don't do much business with SU anymore. You can send all the e-mails to headquarters that you want but do they care????...my guess is.....NOT!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 08:15 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

What is the address of SU. I'd like to send them a letter and have my stampers 10 group do the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 09:23 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapbook4everView Post
What is the address of SU. I'd like to send them a letter and have my stampers 10 group do the same.
Stampin' Up! Home Office Address:
12907 S. 3600 W.
Riverton, UT 84065
USA

Phone:
1-800-STAMP UP
(1-800-782-6787)

E-mail:
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

We have to vote with our dollars and show Canadian retailers they have have to bring their prices more in line with the US pricing ... especially since the dollar has been more or less at par now for several months. On the same token, if SU doesn't bring their prices a little more in line by the next catalogue, I suspect you'll see a lot of people start looking elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

I agree!

I too do ALOT of online shopping. If it isn't gas or groceries, it likely came from the library or came into my house via Canada Post. I am a SAHM with 2 kids. I need to spend my money wisely and so if it is cheaper (price plus shipping) online I am willing to wait the couple of days or even weeks to get it.

As for SU - I will finish off my commitment to my group (till this fall) then I will get out of the group and only order when I absolutely see something I can't live without or there is a great sale. I have also been successful in getting some SU goodies on the Buy/sell board here or on Ebay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 10:07 AM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

Smile

I totally agree. I am going to restrict myself with respect to SU myself unless I see something I really must have. There are a couple of things I would like to have but we will wait and see. I just wanted to let you know, that Grand Portage is a First Nations Community and there is no shopping there but thee is a store with a Post Office. I have never even though about having things shipped there. Good idea. I have just started using ebay and quite like that so why not try the others. Thanks for the hint.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmama807View Post
I totally agree. I am going to restrict myself with respect to SU myself unless I see something I really must have. There are a couple of things I would like to have but we will wait and see. I just wanted to let you know, that Grand Portage is a First Nations Community and there is no shopping there but thee is a store with a Post Office. I have never even though about having things shipped there. Good idea. I have just started using ebay and quite like that so why not try the others. Thanks for the hint.
You're going to love it! There are a number of companies that offer reduced shipping to Canada if you spend the minimum,

But be warned, it can get quite addicting. You hit submit and a week or so later you have all these pretty boxes in your home!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 03:02 PM   #21  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabestampin'View Post
Believe me they know. They have addressed it to us demos, it's always the same reason, "the cost of doing business in Canada". But I find it funny that the dollar isn't the $.65 that it used to be, it's been strong for quite some time and yet the price remains. Well there was the one time they gave us a 10% discount.

It's their choice to charge what they charge, and it's my choice to spend my money with them or with someone else.
If I never "hear" that line again, it will be too soon! I think I've written SU! about this nearly every year for the past five years or so. :rolleyes: I could "swallow" that line, if the price differences we were talking about were in the $0.50 (for smaller things like ink pads & cs) to $3.00 for larger things like the $40+ stamp sets. But we all know the difference is a lot more than that. It was a little easier to take when the Canadian dollar, as mentioned above, was .65. But these days when I am buying online, I am consistently getting 1.01-1.03. I find it very hard to believe, with the dollar at par or above, that it costs 1.5 times as much to do business in Canada as it does in the US. Particularly since all the manufacturing etc. is still done in the US.
I think there is a chance that SU! is going to start losing customer base if their prices don't come down. I know I personally am buying a lot less SU! and a lot more other companies than I was two years ago. And the prices certainly have a lot to do with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 05:35 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to alicaz

I live on the US/CA border - you should see the lines of Canadians on the crossing - going shopping to US every Saturday. People are willing to drive 1.5-2 hours from Toronto, plus wait an hour on the border just to enjoy the much lower prices on the other side.

about SU - didn't buy anything since last clearance sale - still have plenty and I'm not thrilled with their new sets - I think I can get more value for my money elsewhere ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by alicazView Post
I live on the US/CA border - you should see the lines of Canadians on the crossing - going shopping to US every Saturday. People are willing to drive 1.5-2 hours from Toronto, plus wait an hour on the border just to enjoy the much lower prices on the other side.

about SU - didn't buy anything since last clearance sale - still have plenty and I'm not thrilled with their new sets - I think I can get more value for my money elsewhere ;)
I know! I'm an hour from the border so I have my orders shipped to a US parcel service, it's only 1 km into the USA and I have friends that live right on the border so I can kill two birds with one stone. That parcel service has had to double their warehouse space simply because they didn't have the capacity to handle all the parcels.

I still spend locally for the instant gratification, but I save my larger orders so I can save a ton by ordering online and free shipping. Although there is an online store in Ontario (onecrazystamper) that is very competitive with the US prices, I definitely choose to support her!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to alicaz

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabestampin'View Post

I still spend locally for the instant gratification, but I save my larger orders so I can save a ton by ordering online and free shipping. Although there is an online store in Ontario (onecrazystamper) that is very competitive with the US prices, I definitely choose to support her!
I like onecrazystamper too, also shop at Scrapin Great Deals - they are both in Ontario, so I get my packages in 2 days or so. Wonder how long will Canada Post's strike last - I hear that last time it took 3 weeks to work out the problems, so all the packages were stuck in the postal warehouses for 3 weeks. I'll rather wait with my purchases...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2011, 08:22 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I too am appalled at the prices SU charges Cdn customers. I have two things I want to buy from SU and then I probably won't buy for a very long time again. I haven't bought anything from them in well over a year (closer to two years) for this very reason. And don't get me started about their shipping prices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2011, 12:48 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree with much of this, but I question the original post. You say that "the Open Sea" is $36.61 for clear mount. In my mini catalogue, it is only $22.95 f0r clear mount, and $32.95 for wood. There is a difference between US and CA, but it isn't that much!

Val
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2011, 01:03 PM   #27  
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValHView Post
I agree with much of this, but I question the original post. You say that "the Open Sea" is $36.61 for clear mount. In my mini catalogue, it is only $22.95 f0r clear mount, and $32.95 for wood. There is a difference between US and CA, but it isn't that much!

Val
You can order directly from the SU! website - those prices (labeled regular price) are slightly higher in order to encourage people to use & order through their demo. So the price for "The Open Sea" on the SU! website IS $36.61. Underneath is listed the "preferred price" (which is the same as the catalogue price) of $32.95.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2011, 01:25 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Quote:

OMG Girl! Thank Goodness I finished my soda before I read your comment

To Funny!! Thanks for the snort!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2011, 01:31 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yes, I know that there are "regular" and "preferred prices, but the original poster was comparing the American clearmount price to the Canadian wood mount price. If the American and Canadian clearmount prices were compared, it would only be about $2 difference between Canadian and American ($22.95 for preferred price for Canadians compared to $21.06 for the "no demo price" for Americans).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

I have to agree with Wenchie on this issue.

Why would SU! bother to make adjustments to the Canadian prices if we are still buying fast and furious. Based on the above posts and previous threads on the same issue, Canadians are still buying their products and pricing does not appear to be an issue to us.

It is a simple principle really, if we keep buying at the current prices, and still continue to buy at the increased prices, WHY should SU make a change? Businesses see the bottom line and if the bottom line is not changing, there is no issue.

Writing a letter to SU is not going to make them lower our prices. The increasing prices have nothing to do with the cost of doing business in Canada. What will make SU stand up and make a change is to hit them where it hurts. Their bottom line. They need to see a decrease in Canadian sales.

I would love to have inks and paper in the new colors and the in colors. I want some of the new punches. I have not purchased from SU in 2 years. This decision was based solely on pricing. I would love to still be buying it. But I am not and will not until the prices are more in line with my crafting budget.

I do have some non SU products, they are mainly accessories and tools, as I can purchase them using a coupon from Michael’s. I can get 2 or 3 punches for almost the same price as one from SU after adding in taxes and shipping and taxes on shipping. Once my SU stash runs out, I will be buying from Michael’s or the one LSS in my area.

With all of that being said, has anyone seen the new catalogue? Have they lowered the prices?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 10:17 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

I'd be curious to know if the price comparison for their new book closes the gap any. I just bought a paperback book from Coles the other day. It was the first one in a long time from Canada because I would stock up when in the US. This book had the Canadian $9.99 price and the $8.99 US price. This is getting a little closer to par but still not enough for my liking. It should only be about 50 cents in the difference on a $10 book considering the Canadian dollar has been above par for quite some time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #32  
Kookie Creator

Not sure if it is anything like Michaels. I finally broke down and asked the manager why such a price difference. She said it is the customs and duty of the Canadian government. If the product is made in North America then the price difference is not too bad. But, if the product is made offshore (as in the case of Martha Stewart) then the customs and duty can be tremendous.

I also do agree that stores are not taking into consideration the Canadian dollar value and on some things we are getting hosed.

Cathy

http://catricks-creations.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

It is common sense... if Canadians would stop buying from SU they might consider a price deduction but if everyone just whines and cries but still buys then why would they drop the price. Sending letter to SU HQ will not make a difference, as with all companies to see a change you must hurt them in the pocket book. Now see - I won't buy from SU at all because between the tax and shipping if jacks the price to an unreasonable amount and it saddens me becasue I love alot of thier stamps and would love to try some of thier paper but if I can get the same quality or better elsewhere without the added cost then I want more money in MY pocket not a companies. Times are hard right now and I am not going to throw money away. BTW: I'm in the US complaining and I don't even have to pay the jacked up Canadian prices. Stop complaining and just stop buying - they are plenty of quality online stores out there, they is no need to buy from SU!

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #34  
Kookie Creator

The problem with not shopping is that companies will make a product and SU is the only company allowed to sell it or, a product that is issued only overseas. Occasionally one has to bit the bullet and pay the price.

Cathy

http://catricks-creations.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #35  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheena74View Post
It is common sense... if Canadians would stop buying from SU they might consider a price deduction but if everyone just whines and cries but still buys then why would they drop the price. Sending letter to SU HQ will not make a difference, as with all companies to see a change you must hurt them in the pocket book. Now see - I won't buy from SU at all because between the tax and shipping if jacks the price to an unreasonable amount and it saddens me becasue I love alot of thier stamps and would love to try some of thier paper but if I can get the same quality or better elsewhere without the added cost then I want more money in MY pocket not a companies. Times are hard right now and I am not going to throw money away. BTW: I'm in the US complaining and I don't even have to pay the jacked up Canadian prices. Stop complaining and just stop buying - they are plenty of quality online stores out there, they is no need to buy from SU!

Sheena
That's like telling someone to stop driving their vehicle instead of complaining about the price of fuel. Is that going to happen? No.

These message boards are where people vent (or whine as you put it), let off a little steam. We all know what has to be done, but will it happen? No.

Most of my money is now spent elsewhere, but I still buy the stuff I like. I think Canadians are pretty used to paying more, but it doesn't mean we can't whine, cry or vent (personally I prefer the word vent:rolleyes about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 03:02 AM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sorry: I thought those venting and complaining - truly wanted change. I realize people come here to vent and complain... I was just stating the facts from a companies point of view...
AgainI'm sorry for stating the fact that change could happen if everyone was willing to do the hard work and restaint needed for change to occur!
Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 03:50 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

I view it as both venting and whining. We like to whine. We hate to take action. It's the Canadian way. . . . generally. Frankly, right now, I really don't care what SU! prices are like or what new fandangle things they have. I dropped them like a bad habit 2 years ago and never looked back.

I think they probably are feeling the crunch and can't afford to drop prices, for a number of different reasons, but most likely due to the vast competition out there. I for one am VERY happy with all the options we have now. When I started stamping about 5 years ago and started coming here, all I ever heard about was SU! SU! SU! . . . it was bordering on cultish. So . . . it's easy, if I was SU! to become complacent . . . fat . . . dumb . . . and . . . happy . . . . We don't care . . . we don't have to . . . because you all have put us on a pedestal!

Now, to be clear, I am not anti SU! . . . I am anti SU! business model. As a consumer I have a choice . . . continue to shop them and call the cops after each purchase because I just got robbed . . . or . . . . walk away. My legs work just fine LOL

I guess that was a bit of a vent/rant/whine/complaint/whateveryouwannacallit
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 06:58 AM   #38  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by donna1911View Post
With all of that being said, has anyone seen the new catalogue? Have they lowered the prices?
Interesting thread. Here are some Canadian prices, maybe some one with an American catalogue can post the US prices, so we can see the difference

Need For Speed Wood 24.95 clear 17.95
Jolly Bingo Bits wood 46.95 clear 32.95
DSP 12 sheets 12 x12 13.50
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #39  
Gabfest Goddess

US Prices:

Need for speed Wood $19.95 clear $14.95
Jolly Bingo Bits wood $37.95 clear $26.95
DSP 12 sheets 12x12 $12.95
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #40  
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheena74View Post

Sheena
In theory, you're right. If everyone stopped buying SU!, they would have to do something. But any company that wants to continue to grow as well as keep loyal customers will know that you do have to listen to what the customers want. There are a lot of things SU! has done which I don't like - and the prices are one of them. But I also know there are things I have written (as has my demo) to them about that HAVE changed (including the prices having come down in the past - even to the point of them issuing a new price list part-way through a catalogue year). They do seem to listen - though maybe not as often as we would like. I will continue to write my letters because I believe that they don't know what customers want unless customers tell them. If people just quit buying SU! altogether, how would they know? If everyone assumes that writing a letter is useless, how/when do they ever hear from the customer? On the other hand, if they get several hundred letters telling them that the customer has greatly reduced/eliminated altogether their spending on SU! product because of the cost, then I think they would see that this is an issue.
I can't speak for anyone else, but quite frankly, while I am spending less & less with SU! and more other places, I can't drop SU! completely.
Reason one: a very close family member is a demo and I've no wish to create drama where there doesn't need to be.
Reason two: I have quite a collection of SU! inks & papers. I'm not good with colour co-ordination and I like matchy-matchy. The idea of having to start over again with another company to buy inks & papers is beyond mind-boggling, not to mention taking all my stamp money (leaving none for fun stuff like new stamps, bling etc.) for the forseeable future. Completely switching companies is simply not practical.
Reply With Quote Likes