Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Unappreciated "Homemade" Items (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/unappreciated-homemade-items-37718/)

Loomisian 03-23-2005 07:55 AM

That really is a bummer. Just don't forget it came from the heart - regardless of the response. Besides, someone else in the office may see your work and react differently!

I have learned the hard way that I don't spend an enormous amount of time on cards for folks that I KNOW won't appreciate the effort - for example, my son's classmates at their birthday parties. To them, a card is just an impediment to a gift. So their cards are either bought (heaven forbid), or simple single layer stamped images with a quickie sentiment.

Just food for thought....

WAXYO 03-23-2005 07:55 AM

I feel your pain, girls!

I loved the post about a fellow stamper having financial difficulites and having to make cards....I promise you the only cards I keep are the hand made ones - so whose are making an impression now? I was this way before I found out about the art of cardmaking myself, and still managed to have an appreciation for those things handmade.

And as for the cost, well, we all know about that - and if we don't, just ask our DH's how much $ we're actually saving by making our cards ourselves :)

KOLEY 03-23-2005 07:58 AM

So rude! When I quilted I had friends ask me if I could "whip them up a queen size quilt" like I could do it in one night. So often we say "ahh, it's no big thing" and people get the impression we just pull these cards completely done out of our armpits but maybe we should just say thanks and not downplay our talent.

I have learned not to give homemade gifts to certain people who don't appreciate them that's for sure!

LDSDinks1993 03-23-2005 07:59 AM

I agree that I would not make MIL another card. I made my MIL and FIL some coasters and a thankyou card because they helped us move -- actually FIL helped while MIL spent the time describing her most recent ailments. When I gave it to her she looked at the card and then dropped it in the floor!!!! I looked at the card on the floor and looked at my husband as if to say "Can you believe that". He walked over and picked the card up and stood it on an end table.
Also, my two BILs wont "allow" their wives to start scrapbooking or stamping because they say it is too expensive! He was at our house one day when I was making some cards and he said "Is it really worth it - the time, effort and money you put in to a card?" I gave him a "Look" and he kinda laughed and said "I know that look - ok - I get it - obviously it is worth it"
And we were at the in laws last weekend and someone said something about some cards - I don't remember what kind or where the cards were - but they asked me if I had ever seen them -- I said -- Oh no - I NEVER buy cards - I hand make each and every one of my cards and turned to play with my neice. They just don't get it! My SILs have expressed a desire to come to my craft room and learn to scrapbook and make cards -- problem is - their hubbys won't let them buy anything which means not only would I be supporting my habit, but theirs as well. :(

stampinit4fun 03-23-2005 08:03 AM

In My group of friends, they all know I enjoy making "homemade gifts" Some show intrest while others sho no intrest at all. I am choosy as to whom recives a wonderful heartfelt handmade treasure!

debbiemom23cs 03-23-2005 08:04 AM

I am shocked! I just can't believe it. What a totally insensitive person to say something like that!

I guess my stuff wasn't too good at first either, because I gave my mil a set of note cards and her reply was "Wow, you are really getting good at this!" :? :shock:

I tried not to take it too personal because she is, you know, my mil! :lol:

mfischer 03-23-2005 08:04 AM

People are always usually very impressed with what I do as far as my cards/scrapbooking/creativeness. However, I have been met MANY times with the "You have WAY TOO MUCH time on your hands. Wait until you have kids, you won't have time for any of this!" I think people are just jealous of our talents and wish they could be as talented as us. Plus, I don't believe them for a minute. There are THOUSANDS of mom's on SCS that have time for it! You MAKE time to do something you love!!! If they don't want to appreciate your beautiful homemade cards and the effort you put into them, I saw screw them. Give them a cheap card from the dollar store. People like that don't know what class and style is.

stampinit4fun 03-23-2005 08:04 AM

In My group of friends, they all know I enjoy making "homemade gifts" Some show intrest while others sho no intrest at all. I am choosy as to whom recives a wonderful heartfelt handmade treasure!

stampinit4fun 03-23-2005 08:11 AM

LDSDinks1993 03-23-2005 08:15 AM

I made my MIL and FIL a set of coasters and Thank you card because they helped us move (actually HE helped us - she just went on and on about her latest ailments and sicknesses). When I gave her the card and coasters - she just casually dropped the card on the floor and left it! My dh - being the loving kind (and smart) man he is - picked it up and set it up on the end table.
Another time my BIL came by our house while I was making cards. He said "Is it really worth the time, money and effort you put in to it?" I gave him "the look" and he got the picture
Also both of my BILs will not "allow" their wives to start scrap booking or stamping because they say it is too expensive. Both sister in laws WANT to learn and start and have expressed interest in coming to play in my craft room. Unfortunately, if they did, I would end up not only supporting MY habit, but theirs as well.
On the flip side, for Christmas I made my mom a beautiful album that I title "A Love Story" It was an album of her and my dad's life from Highshcool on. (My dad died 12/20/00) She cried of course - but she said that it was the BEST gift that she ever received. And now, everyone that visits is forced to look at the album :oops:
Also for Christmas, I made a bunch of cards and put them in a box with dividers, stamps, and an address book and gave it to my sisters roommate. She LOVED it. She wants more for next year!
I agree with the people who said to concentrate on making for those you know appreciate it...

cre8tivejewels 03-23-2005 08:15 AM

Let me tell you, I know how it feels to be insulted-

I am a SAHM. My sister works full time, and makes boo-koo bucks. She works a lot of hours, has a gorgeous home, etc. EVERYTHING has to be PERFECT. (How we came from the same mother is beyond me.....LOL)

I offered to make a card for her so she didn't have to go to the Hallmark store. (she just had a baby.) She told me "No, that's okay. Dad likes REAL CARDS!" :evil:

If I could have smacked her I would have. I asked her what that crack was supposed to mean, and she replied (again, put her foot in her mouth) "Well, Dad just likes cards from the store-they mean more to him."

Needless to say, this escalated into a HUGE fight, and I was devastated. This is what I do! Cards are my "Biz!" She should have just kicked me in the head after making that comment. It hurt me so much I bawled all day.

She is jealous of my time at home. She pays me to do scrapbook pages! LOL I know it is mostly jealousy because I don't have to work, but it still hurt.

I too hear from other's that "You have too much time on your hands." I take it as a compliment actually. Because it TAKES TIME to make something so beautiful, and I "took that time" to make something special for them.

You know, girls, we stamp and scrapbook for enjoyment. Not because we "can't afford to buy a card!" LOL ( I wouldn't be caught in a Hallmark store-it would "blow my image!" :D )

Anyways, dear friend, continue to make those lovely cards. It fills your spirit I am sure, as it does mine.

Blessings,
Julie

mfischer 03-23-2005 08:23 AM

People are always usually very impressed with what I do as far as my cards/scrapbooking/creativeness. However, I have been met MANY times with the "You have WAY TOO MUCH time on your hands. Wait until you have kids, you won't have time for any of this!" I think people are just jealous of our talents and wish they could be as talented as us. Plus, I don't believe them for a minute. There are THOUSANDS of mom's on SCS that have time for it! You MAKE time to do something you love!!! If they don't want to appreciate your beautiful homemade cards and the effort you put into them, I saw screw them. Give them a cheap card from the dollar store. People like that don't know what class and style is.

mothermcbride 03-23-2005 08:36 AM

Please don't let it bother you. Long ago, I realized that giving was the important thing. If I get a thank you or wow for any type of gift or card I send, great. If not, I really don't let it bother me. There are any host of reasons why someone would make comments. My kids and I love our creations and I even think my husband likes them. We sent his parents gift cards for Christmas and he actually picked out a different card than the blah one I was going to send. The first year I stamped, I send out only a handful of homemade cards. My MIL asked me if my DD had made the card (she was 5 at the time). That didn't hurt my feelings one bit. You know, if someone intimated that they preferred store-bought cards, I think I'd probably start sending even more homemade ones for every possible holiday. (I'm wearing a rather evil grin as I type this.)

jennifernelson 03-23-2005 08:36 AM

You know its true I do have alot of time on my hands. I no longer sit for hours and mindlessly watch t.v. I have had that comment said to me and I just laugh and say that in the same 30 minute time that I used to take to watch a sitcom or hour to watch a show that I would forget about in the next day i now create memories and cards. I like to think that the people who i randomly send them to just to brighten their day dont consider my efforts a waist of time but a gift from my heart. this usually shuts them up pretty quick.

mothermcbride 03-23-2005 08:37 AM

Please don't let it bother you. Long ago, I realized that giving was the important thing. If I get a thank you or wow for any type of gift or card I send, great. If not, I really don't let it bother me. There are any host of reasons why someone would make comments. My kids and I love our creations and I even think my husband likes them. We sent his parents gift cards for Christmas and he actually picked out a different card than the blah one I was going to send. The first year I stamped, I send out only a handful of homemade cards. My MIL asked me if my DD had made the card (she was 5 at the time). That didn't hurt my feelings one bit. You know, if someone intimated that they preferred store-bought cards, I think I'd probably start sending even more homemade ones for every possible holiday. (I'm wearing a rather evil grin as I type this.)

Mom2MalNJaden 03-23-2005 08:41 AM

Okay, I must say, I love the responses here! You guys are great and have made me feel so much better about hearing those kinds of crude remarks or often nothing at all. :D

I have to say though, I'm the type that if my MIL preferred store-bought cards and told me so, I would probably bombard her with hand-crafted cards just to make my point that hand-crafted is better! :wink:

Now, I'm one of those who saves everything (inherited from my mother except she's neater and more organized about it) and I have come to terms with the fact that not everyone is like that. As long as they don't throw the card or gift away right after I give it to them or in my presence, I can deal with it. However, I must admit that I don't work quite as hard on cards and gifts for those who I know aren't savers, as I do for those who I know who do save my "artwork." Is that so wrong? :roll:

On a happy note, my mom has a keepsake box for all the cards I give her and my grandparents display their cards in rooms all over their house, long after they have received them. Isn't that sweet? They'll always get the good stuff! :wink:

TexasGrammy 03-23-2005 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzimbie
Maybe not all appreciate it but it's worth it for those who do.

This is so true. It is difficult to receive insensitive comments, or no comments at all, regarding our very well-intended creations. Many times, our stamped creations are a gift in themselves, apart from any other items they might accompany.

Please be assured that those responses are but a few. Many others will be touched by your creative gifts, and appreciate the fact that they were selected to receive such a unique work of heart!

Keep Stampin' & sharing!

~Beverly

leighfluver 03-23-2005 08:55 AM

You poor thing!

Hi, I'm a newbie here, but I am so sorry those things were said to you. Maybe they were incredibly jealous, or just plain ignorant. Probably a little of both. I hope that you continue to shower them with love, and help make their days brighter, as this is what SU has done for me! :D Here's also to hoping they learn what a generous person you are to spend the MOST precious commodity in all the world on them~YOUR TIME. FOR NONE OF US GETS ANY OF THAT BACK EVER.

Chantell

leighfluver 03-23-2005 08:56 AM

You poor thing!

Hi, I'm a newbie here, but I am so sorry those things were said to you. Maybe they were incredibly jealous, or just plain ignorant. Probably a little of both. I hope that you continue to shower them with love, and help make their days brighter, as this is what SU has done for me! :D Here's also to hoping they learn what a generous person you are to spend the MOST precious commodity in all the world on them~YOUR TIME. FOR NONE OF US GETS ANY OF THAT BACK EVER.

Chantell

jeanhal 03-23-2005 09:00 AM

[quote="stamper-c"]why you would spend your time and money doing something creative...it is not productive in their eyes...
quote]
Would someone please tell me what WOULD be productive? I knit, cross-stitch, garden, can, bake breads, raise bees - all this in between my FT+ job (+ 2 hour commute). I know people who sit on the sofa and watch TV, play cards, go to bars, shoot pool, bowl, etc. I, personally don't think this is productive. I understand the social part, but I was raised to DO somthing while watching TV, or talking to people. I totally agree that I only give to those who would have a clue though - My mother hates to get a "real" card now - how impersonal, but others throw them, as well as those months long knit projects from very expensive yarn.

dmnyman 03-23-2005 09:01 AM

Bottom line, do what makes you happy. Don't stoop to the level of those who make you feel inferior because only YOU can MAKE you inferior. What you do is great. Keep doing it. I'm blessed with a MIL who loves my cards so much she buys 20 of them a month from me AND tells her friends to call me when they need some. I can't say as much for my own family though. Believe me, I've heard the "too much time on your hands" comment 100s of times. I let it go right over because I know what's underneath that is "man, I wish I knew how to make the time to do that" or "I wish I COULD do that". I suggest you do what makes you feel fulfilled. I wouldn't do any homemade gifts for anyone who has lousy comments, but the cards just can't stop. For me, and maybe for you, that's therapy. And eventually, they may come to appreciate your work. Just make theirs with a little less effort. You know, only one layer and no embellishments. :D Besides, they may put it up on the mantle and someone will come along and say "WOW! Where did you get that BEAUTIFUL card!?" That might make them think twice.

Stampinonthefarm 03-23-2005 09:06 AM

Let's introdue your MIL to mine! I think they would get along fine! Don't let her get to you. Your heart is in the right place!!!

One day before Halloween last fall we were down there and I gave her a tile magnet with a witch on it. I had made a bunch of them. The kids gave them out while they tricker or treated at the neighbors. She thought it was fine and assumed I had gotten it at the $$ store my DH and I had been to early that week. When she heard I made it her nose turned right up! UGH! Drives me nuts, my DD just reminds me who cares!

I have offered to make cards, with my supplies, for her when she needs them. They don't have a lot of money, and she would rather drive the eight miles to town and by a $4-5 card she can't afford. Whatever. I quit volunteering my services!

PenelopePitstop 03-23-2005 09:07 AM

I used to worry about it when I did not get the feedback that I thought was appropriate for the work I had done. I had to remember that this was my therapy and creative outlet and if people are rude, I don't have to include them in when I was doing something I enjoy.

Many people just don't get it. I love the comment that someone else made about her cards being down to $42 each. I have spent so much on supplies that store bought cards are cheaper. They also take less thought, less creativity, less ambition...

Maybe for your MIL, your kids can make the cards for her from now on. MIL's sometimes feel threatened by their sons wives and to make themselves feel better they throw little jabs in. but when it comes to the grandkids, everything they do is fanstastic. So when she gushes over the kids cards, you can say, at least to yourself, "I showed them how to do this" and in a round about way she will actually be approving of you and the work you do.

Keep your chin up.

karinlm 03-23-2005 09:11 AM

Don't let them get you down! Like everything some people will like it, some people won't. Some people will save every card they receive, others will toss all of them. I have a small pile of Hallmark type cards from my grandparents/parents that I have saved since High School up until now. Everything else usually gets tossed and that includes homemade cards....I do put all of my cards out on a shelf when they first come in but after a couple of weeks in the recycle bin they go.

So don't take it personally :) Homemade just isn't some peoples style :(

Kristin Moore 03-23-2005 09:12 AM

I am so glad you posted this. The comment about you having too much time on your hands reminded me fondly of my college roommates. When anyone ever said rude things to us our standard response, said in unison, was always "YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS!!!". ha! I think that would be fitting in this situation (under your breath, of course).

As for the MIL, I know what she'd be getting from me in the future... and it wouldn't be hand made cards! I only wish my dear MIL was still around to see the cards I've started making. I think she would have loved them!

deb_n_jeff 03-23-2005 09:15 AM

The first year I sent out hand made Christmas cards, my MIL asked where her card from my DH was. I asked if she receieved the card I had made and she commented that she had received it , but thought maybe it was a mistake or something was wrong. I asked what she meant and she said she is accustomed to getting a pretty hallmark card from her son each year at Christmas like she sent to us. I apologized to her for her feelings being hurt and then passed the phone off to DH. Later that night I told him that her Christmas, birthday, mother's day etc cards and gifts where his problem and not mine anymore. :evil: I was sooo hurt.

Funny, DH got the opportunity a year ago, to give her a plug for my handmade cards! I made all the invites for his retirement ceremony (from the US Navy). I had sent her one as a courtesy, knowing she would be unable to attend. Not realizing I had made them, she went on and on to DH about the lovely "engraved" invitations we had sent out and how ever could we have afforded to have such lovely custom work done? :twisted: That's when DH piped up that I had made them and that I ENJOY making cards and gifts and that her comments to me 2 years earlier were very hurtful.

In the end: MIL now appreciates my efforts and looks forward to cards I send her. HOWEVER, my DH still has to get his rear-end over to Hallmark and get his OWN MOTHER a "pretty" card and send it to her for Bithday and Christmas (this is MY decision since it is HIS mother) 8) I think in the end, I won.

datgh 03-23-2005 09:19 AM

I'm sorry your MIL was so insensitive. Some relatives can be that way and I have learned not to put my heart and soul into a gift for them. I have to laugh, though because my MIL likes the cards I make so much she gives them back to me after the holidays because she can't bear to throw them out and tells me to change the insides and reuse them!! :D :D :D

sunnywl 03-23-2005 09:20 AM

I'm sorry this happened to you. I hate that this happens to some of us stampers and crafters.

When I first started stamping, I was (and still am) soo in love with the hobby and sent cards to family and friends. My MIL would look at the cards I've made and say "they're nice but why don't you try some different hobbies like cross stitching, flower arrangements, painting?" That really stung. I told her "but the point is I really enjoy stamping!" She just nodded and said " I know I know ". I don't think I sent her many more handmade cards after that. I also only send stamped cards to people that I know will appreciate them. Just my two cents.

LisaDRHC 03-23-2005 09:36 AM

Get this. A teacher's aide at my sons school said I had too much time on my hands after my son and I made snacks and treats that corresponded to the letter of the week. When I told my husband what she said HE AGREED WITH HER! I asked him what I should be doing with my time instead of working with my son and he said," I don't know, clean the house?"

Needless to say, I hired a cleaning lady the next day!

Spending time making things special for other people is the real gift of a gift.

Scrapysu 03-23-2005 09:40 AM

I know how you feel! This past Christmas for 3 different teachers I made 10 different cards with coordinating envelopes. I tied them together with a nice ribbon, wrapped them in tissue paper and put them inside a decorative box. To go with the theme of "everything you need to send a card" I put in a packet of 10 stamps and an ink pen as well. Lastly I tucked a short but nice note into the box thanking them for their hard work. I was shocked when I only received a thank you note from one of the teachers! And a couple of the cards I made for them were thank you cards!! I didn't even get a verbal thank you! I know not all people like homemade stuff or that they may not have the same style taste as I do but I think Miss Manners would agree that a simple thank you, be it in writing or verbal, was in order.

StarLitStudio 03-23-2005 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrappinGoodTime
Keep in mind that the girls at work probably said what they said out of envy that you No 1 take the time to make things from the heart and No 2 that you are more talented than they. And remember its not the getting thats importand its the giving and if taking the time to make something gives you joy then revel in it!!

BINGO!!!! You hit the nail on the head ~ my thoughts exactly!!

mothermcbride 03-23-2005 09:41 AM

Please don't let it bother you. Long ago, I realized that giving was the important thing. If I get a thank you or wow for any type of gift or card I send, great. If not, I really don't let it bother me. There are any host of reasons why someone would make comments. My kids and I love our creations and I even think my husband likes them so that's good enough for me. (We sent his parents gift cards for Christmas and he actually picked out a different card than the blah one I was going to send.) I'll share with you that the first year I stamped, I sent out only a handful of homemade cards after I ran out of the store-bough ones. My MIL asked me if my DD had made the card (she was 5 at the time). That didn't hurt my feelings one bit. You know, if someone in my family intimates that they prefer store-bought cards, maybe I'll start sending even more homemade ones for every possible holiday. (I was wearing a rather evil grin as I typed that last line.)

Snellybelle 03-23-2005 09:52 AM

I would vote for no more gifts for hubby's "gals at work" and let hubby produce all future cards for MIL.
Anything I make is a gift of myself to someone. If I need to produce a card for someone that has been unappreciative, I have a basket of "not my best work" cards to choose from.
Before handmade cards, my Christmas Card list was 25 names. More and more people are sending me cards now so I'll send them one of my handmade cards (they have told me this). Some of my cards have been framed to be put on their walls every Christmas season....what better compliment is there?
Put your heart into what you love and don't let the rude or envious ones get the better of you.

ninatar 03-23-2005 09:53 AM

If anyone ever tells you that you have too much time on your hands, if you thought it appropriate to reply, you could say " I have the same 24 hours a day as everyone else, I just took some of that time to make something especially for you. I had so hoped you will like it. In future, I will do something else." (Keeping in mind *nothing* else is an option.)

Some people don't appreciate flowers, music, art, dance, fashion, perfume, or hand-made cards. Just be glad you are you, and take joy in making something for others.

You could also look at is as she did you a favor! Think of the time you would have wasted over the years on things that she did not appreciate. (She sure needs improvement on the delivery, but at least, however ackward, she conveyed the message of don't waste your time.)

Nina T.

deb_n_jeff 03-23-2005 09:54 AM

The first year I sent out hand made Christmas cards, my MIL asked where her card from my DH was. I asked if she receieved the card I had made and she commented that she had received it , but thought maybe it was a mistake or something was wrong. I asked what she meant and she said she is accustomed to getting a pretty hallmark card from her son each year at Christmas like she sent to us. I apologized to her for her feelings being hurt and then passed the phone off to DH. Later that night I told him that her Christmas, birthday, mother's day etc cards and gifts where his problem and not mine anymore. :evil: I was sooo hurt.

Funny, DH got the opportunity a year ago, to give her a plug for my handmade cards! I made all the invites for his retirement ceremony (from the US Navy). I had sent her one as a courtesy, knowing she would be unable to attend. Not realizing I had made them, she went on and on to DH about the lovely "engraved" invitations we had sent out and how ever could we have afforded to have such lovely custom work done? :twisted: That's when DH piped up that I had made them and that I ENJOY making cards and gifts and that her comments to me 2 years earlier were very hurtful.

In the end: MIL now appreciates my efforts and looks forward to cards I send her. HOWEVER, my DH still has to get his rear-end over to Hallmark and get his OWN MOTHER a "pretty" card and send it to her for Bithday and Christmas (this is MY decision since it is HIS mother) 8) I think in the end, I won.

srogers5 03-23-2005 09:55 AM

When people say "You have too much time on your hands," you should say something like...

"Oh, don't you think you are worth my time? I do."

or a more cutting tone

"Oh, I thought you were worth it, but if you don't think so..."

deb_n_jeff 03-23-2005 09:56 AM

srogers5 03-23-2005 09:56 AM

When people say "You have too much time on your hands," you should say something like...

"Oh, don't you think you are worth my time? I do."

or a more cutting tone

"Oh, I thought you were worth it, but if you don't think so..."

ninatar 03-23-2005 09:59 AM

Duplicate!

pony110 03-23-2005 10:01 AM

My step mother once said to me " I don't blame you for making your own cards - they are just getting so expensive to buy" I was thinking OMG that stinkin card cost about $50. Geez!!!