Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #41  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
If they sold Textured CS in 81/2 x 11, I'd be buying it all the time.
I totally agree!! I love textured CS and 8 1/2 x 11 would be awesome.[/QUOTE]

I've always wanted this and would use it all the time![/QUOTE]

I'll fourth that motion!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2012, 07:01 AM   #42  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bejoyceView Post
I'm a little sad that the craft pads and reinkers are being discontinued, as I do enjoy heat embossing in color.
You can still enjoy heat embossing with the SU colors using the classic pads and versamark....works just as well.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2012, 07:07 AM   #43  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvalouView Post
You can still enjoy heat embossing with the SU colors using the classic pads and versamark....works just as well.;)
Sorry, I disagree. I've done that before in desperation (In Colors that have never been available as craft inks), and the colors are a faded shadow of the true colors.

Apologies to SU loyalists, but there are other brands of pads on the market that work well for heat embossing. I just need to find out which ones are the best.
SCS Fan Club Member
Color Challenge Team Member
QFTD215
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #44  
Compulsive Stamper

I know, I couldn't believe they would get rid of 12x12 cardstock, I love basic grey, I've been converting all paper to su paper .... and I just can't believe this, I was made enough last year when they stopped making texture cardstock, I loved it. and now ... no 12x12 where am I going to get good 12x12 card stock now?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #45  
Compulsive Stamper

[QUOTE=NWstamper;19381297]I'll admit the list is totally confusing this time... but it sounds like there is still some confusion out there. Hopefully this will clarify some things...

1. 12x12 textured cardstock is being retired :(
2. 12x12 smooth cardstock is being "reconfigured" so that most of the colors will only be available in family bundles. So you can still get your 12x12 cardstock when the new catalog comes out.

This is stupid ... I hate buy in the family bundles because then you only get 2 each of the colors, well I need more basic grey than sahara sand which i hate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #46  
Inking Addict

I am gutted about the 12x12... after SU combined smooth and textured together in packs which a lot of people didn't like I was so thrilled last year when they released them back in smooth or textured packs... and now they take them away :(

I appreciate that the comments here have been that they aren't good sellers but my question is is it because the price went up last year?!

I am happy to pay $5.95 for a pack but I wonder what their sales figures were for the 12x12 before they put the prices up.

I appreciate SU might have to cut lines when they don't sell so well but seeing as scrapbooking is so huge why don't they try bringing out more scrapbooking stamps etc which might encourage more scrapbookers...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #47  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by pink-princessView Post
I am gutted about the 12x12... after SU combined smooth and textured together in packs which a lot of people didn't like I was so thrilled last year when they released them back in smooth or textured packs... and now they take them away :(

I appreciate that the comments here have been that they aren't good sellers but my question is is it because the price went up last year?!

I am happy to pay $5.95 for a pack but I wonder what their sales figures were for the 12x12 before they put the prices up.

I appreciate SU might have to cut lines when they don't sell so well but seeing as scrapbooking is so huge why don't they try bringing out more scrapbooking stamps etc which might encourage more scrapbookers...
I don't think so...I don't think it was a good seller for a while now. They tried to offer it in different ways for a few years now and I just don't think it's moving. I'm really sad about the textured, I love textured.

And I'm assuming they raised the price because their supplier raised prices. They can control the price of stamps pretty well because they are made in house but are really at the mercy of the manufacturer of the other things.

My hubby is in charge of shipping and a warehouse of a billion dollar business and we were talking about all this the other day...he's a saint to listen to all my rambling about stamping, lol! But he can kind of explain things when and why they cut stuff and raise prices and what not because it's really the same across industries. I can't begin to explain what he says but it makes sense. LOL! He was talking about how we had a big list this year and they have to do that occasionally...he had some fancy word for it and all kinds of sales equations and stuff. Anyway, I wish SU could make all it's stuff in house, that would be awesome!!!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #48  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Luckily, none of the paper decisions they make are necessarily permanent, it will be interesting to see what they configure for the papers next year. I would encourage everyone who isn't happy with the 12 by 12 cs decision to let them know. I was among those who wrote to them about not liking the mix of smooth and textured packs of 12 by 12 cs and they did listen-even if only for a year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #49  

I'm interested to see what happens next year too! That was one of my first thoughts!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just ordered my 12x12 c/s I think I can't live without in individual packs. I'm gonna miss not having whole packs of chocolate chip and basic gray. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2012, 07:06 AM   #51  
Inking Addict

I haven't looked at the retiring list in too much detail and I haven't read all these posts yet, but I think this is the pits. Last year I thought the complete upheaval of colors etc was going to be it for a while. Now they are dumping again. My demonstrator always says what a benefit SU is because you can get everything you need in the same color, paper, marker, inks stamp pad etc. Now, not so much. After last year's mess, I decided to never buy a stamp PAD again, I bought a bunch of foam spot size dollar pads at AC Moore, a 12x12 felt stamp pad and 2 re-inkers in the colors I wanted and made my own spots. I pulled out the foam pad, cut the foam pad to fit, glued it in the base and loaded it with ink. It didnt even use 1/4 of the bottle. I will check the retiring colors more closely, but I am not playing their game any more. There is always another company that will have what I want, or close enough. Same with the stamps, there are a few I really want but they are still only on wood. I wont pay the extra to throw away the wood and mount them on ez mount. If stampin up doesn't want to make everything available in clear or digital, Oh well, I'll find something similar that is available in my preferred version. Don't get me wrong, I do love a lot about SU, but I can't afford to stock up every time they want to make a change.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #52  

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelagrafxView Post
I haven't looked at the retiring list in too much detail and I haven't read all these posts yet, but I think this is the pits. Last year I thought the complete upheaval of colors etc was going to be it for a while. Now they are dumping again. My demonstrator always says what a benefit SU is because you can get everything you need in the same color, paper, marker, inks stamp pad etc. Now, not so much. After last year's mess, I decided to never buy a stamp PAD again, I bought a bunch of foam spot size dollar pads at AC Moore, a 12x12 felt stamp pad and 2 re-inkers in the colors I wanted and made my own spots. I pulled out the foam pad, cut the foam pad to fit, glued it in the base and loaded it with ink. It didnt even use 1/4 of the bottle. I will check the retiring colors more closely, but I am not playing their game any more. There is always another company that will have what I want, or close enough. Same with the stamps, there are a few I really want but they are still only on wood. I wont pay the extra to throw away the wood and mount them on ez mount. If stampin up doesn't want to make everything available in clear or digital, Oh well, I'll find something similar that is available in my preferred version. Don't get me wrong, I do love a lot about SU, but I can't afford to stock up every time they want to make a change.
No, no, no! NO colors are retiring except the five in colors that were scheduled to. The colors from 2010-2012 are the ONLY colors that are going (and we get five more new ones which are lovely).

They are simply changing the pad inside the stamp pads. There is NO NEED to replace any pads unless you want to/need to. They are doing away with the linen and going to a firm foam and I got mine today and they are FABULOUS! The stamped image is so clean and crisp and they ink up stamps in a cinch! And they are supposed to work well with clear stamps too but I don't have any so I can't test.

And all of the stamps (save for the singles and backgrounds I think) are going to be both wood and clear in the new catalog.

The retiring list is very confusing this year so please, if you have questions talk to your demo or ask on here! HTH!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #53  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
No, no, no! NO colors are retiring except the five in colors that were scheduled to. The colors from 2010-2012 are the ONLY colors that are going (and we get five more new ones which are lovely).
While it's true that only the 2010-2012 In Colors are retiring, that addresses ONLY which COLORS are retiring.

I am steamed about all of the CRAFT pads and inks retiring (except black and white). That is a major disappointment to me (along with not being able to buy individual markers in various colors).
SCS Fan Club Member
QFTD215
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #54  

Quote:

Originally Posted by bejoyceView Post
While it's true that only the 2010-2012 In Colors are retiring, that addresses ONLY which COLORS are retiring.

I am steamed about all of the CRAFT pads and inks retiring (except black and white). That is a major disappointment to me (along with not being able to buy individual markers in various colors).
Yes, it's not ideal for sure! But, I just wanted to make it clear that our core colors are not changing. People are very confused about that. I'm upset about the craft ink as well but I am trying to look at the glass half full and all the new stuff we are getting...I don't want to be getting all depressed:-)

Would a sneek peak help????:-)

An appropriate card given the long retirement list, no? Ha!
Attached Thumbnails
SU! Retiring Accessories ~ I called SU! I'm so Confused!-stamp-.jpg  

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #55  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
Yes, it's not ideal for sure! But, I just wanted to make it clear that our core colors are not changing. People are very confused about that. I'm upset about the craft ink as well but I am trying to look at the glass half full and all the new stuff we are getting...I don't want to be getting all depressed:-)

Would a sneek peak help????:-)

An appropriate card given the long retirement list, no? Ha!
Yes, cute card and cute sentiment. I will *try* to keep calm, and will definitely stamp on, but sadly using fewer and fewer SU products.

Makes me very sad to have to say that.
SCS Fan Club Member
QFTD215
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #56  
Mad Swapper

Love the card ..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #57  
Insane Embellisher

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

I am wondering if the new reconfigured stamp pads will use re-inkers, and if so, would the new re-inker work on the old stamp pads (if we are unable to get the old ones)? Thank you for clearing up the issue of retiring colours, I also was steaming when I read the list, have lots of retired colours from the last re-org. I hope SU learns to be much clearer next time, I think they may have lost a few customers, I was angry and ready to bolt too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #58  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have never used Stampin' Up cardstock, but I'm also bummed about them getting rid of the 12x12.

I'm a scrapbooker first and cardmaker second, so 12x12 is my go-to cardstock size.

CTMH, a company with beautiful paper, recently reorganized and is no longer selling packets of individual colors. This can make it VERY costly for someone who needs 25 sheets each of only two or three colors (like for party invitations, announcements, matching holiday cards, etc.)

I had planned to switch from CTMH to Stampin Up. I'm so glad I didn't make my move before the company made their announcement. With all the people who scrapbook, I'm really floored that so many companies sell only 8.5x11 cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2012, 05:14 AM   #59  

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

SU! will still have 12x12 cardstock.
And it will still be available in individual packets in SOME colours. (Real Red, Old Olive, Daffodil Delight, Early Espresso, Whisper White, Basic Black, Marina Mist, and some more ...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2012, 05:23 AM   #60  
Inking Addict

thanks Minders, like I said, I didn't really look carefully. I will take a closer look. I did see a link of the new colors though. Unless they are really much different, I don't think I will buy any of them, they look too Victorian. Good sturdy 12x12 paper is getting hard to find. I don't scrapbook, so it isn't crucial for me to have it, but it can be convenient.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #61  
Inking Addict

Thank you to all of the mods and experts who took the time to explain this. Looking at the list for the first time was extremely confusing. It's still hard to accept, but the information is helpful.

Of all of the things that are going, I think the single markers are what I will miss the most. I purchased the original set of 48, and $130 was, ya know, a lot of $$$! Of course, 2 weeks after they arrived I walked in on my daughter crushing the tip of Real Red into a coloring book. I was very happy that I could replace it without buying a whole new set.

I think it would have been helpful if SU had included some explanation on the website. Change is inevitable, but the blow would have been softer with some information.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #62  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristiKView Post
I wish SU would realize when they tick off their devoted customers, someone else benefits! The stamp pads...I have them all and will never replace them....same with the markers....I am not a dealer...but "spent" alot of money with this company!
I'm with you. I will no longer be buying SU products as I don't like the many changes and the unavailability of products on the discontinued list. I couldn't get many of the things as they were already sold out way before the deadline. That should tell SU something. Now with a reformulation of the ink pads and having to remember which ones won't transfer and needing to buy new---forget it! This is the first time I will not be buying all the new In Colors and that means the works; pads, markers, reindeers, card stock etc. Can you tell I'm a very unsatisfied customer? Couldn't even get a few packs of Poppy Parade card stock. Anyone out there want to get rid of any?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #63  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

SU has to have been effected by the bad economy like everyone else. And they've had to make some major decisions and cutting back on their products based on the sales numbers. I hate it too, but I see it everywhere. Suppliers don't keep as much in warehouses as they used to. At my local needlework shop we wait months for some fabrics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #64  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CartermrcView Post
SU has to have been effected by the bad economy like everyone else. And they've had to make some major decisions and cutting back on their products based on the sales numbers. I hate it too, but I see it everywhere. Suppliers don't keep as much in warehouses as they used to. At my local needlework shop we wait months for some fabrics.
Slightly OT, but yes, I think the economy has had a significant effect. Just do a search on this board at how many local stamp shops have closed in the past couple years.
And Cindy, I'm coming to visit you, 'cause my local needlework shop closed about two years ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #65  

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
I'm with you. I will no longer be buying SU products as I don't like the many changes and the unavailability of products on the discontinued list. I couldn't get many of the things as they were already sold out way before the deadline. That should tell SU something. Now with a reformulation of the ink pads and having to remember which ones won't transfer and needing to buy new---forget it! This is the first time I will not be buying all the new In Colors and that means the works; pads, markers, reindeers, card stock etc. Can you tell I'm a very unsatisfied customer? Couldn't even get a few packs of Poppy Parade card stock. Anyone out there want to get rid of any?
I know this won't change your mind ... but wanted to clarify one thing.
All the ink refills that SU! sells now will work on the "old style" ink pads.

I think because we know ahead of time that the In Colors will retire, the popular ones are the ones that sell out of paper first. there were people stocking up in March, just to make sure that they had "enough" paper.

I hope that you are happy with wherever you choose to spend your stamping money ... and have fun creating. Ultimately ... isn't that the objective?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #66  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketballmomView Post
I know this won't change your mind ... but wanted to clarify one thing.
All the ink refills that SU! sells now will work on the "old style" ink pads.

I think because we know ahead of time that the In Colors will retire, the popular ones are the ones that sell out of paper first. there were people stocking up in March, just to make sure that they had "enough" paper.

I hope that you are happy with wherever you choose to spend your stamping money ... and have fun creating. Ultimately ... isn't that the objective?
You say they all work and the quote below says 3 are being reformulated and then goes on to list 5 colors that WILL NOT work on the old pads. I'm getting more confused by the minute.

The ink colors will still be around, they are just reconfiguring the pads to use a new firm foam pad which will make it much nicer for stamping solid images. They are reformulating 3 of the colors... though not changing the colors. Your current ink pads will still match and if you get new reinkers later, you should be able to use them on your old ink pads (and I believe vice versa aside from those 5 colors - Basic Black, Perfect Plum, Tempting Turquoise, Marina Mist, and Basic Grey)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #67  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
You say they all work and the quote below says 3 are being reformulated and then goes on to list 5 colors that WILL NOT work on the old pads. I'm getting more confused by the minute.

The ink colors will still be around, they are just reconfiguring the pads to use a new firm foam pad which will make it much nicer for stamping solid images. They are reformulating 3 of the colors... though not changing the colors. Your current ink pads will still match and if you get new reinkers later, you should be able to use them on your old ink pads (and I believe vice versa aside from those 5 colors - Basic Black, Perfect Plum, Tempting Turquoise, Marina Mist, and Basic Grey)
Oh dear that is confusing! From SU, 5 of the colors were reformulated: Basic Black, Perfect Plum, Tempting Turquoise, Marina Mist, and Basic Grey - so these you have to have old refills with the old pads and new refills with the firm foam pads, Something about the new pads (I bet because they give a more saturated color) required SU to reformulate that ink. The other colors, the reinkers are exactly the same from before and can be used with old or new pads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #68  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWstamperView Post
Oh dear that is confusing! From SU, 5 of the colors were reformulated: Basic Black, Perfect Plum, Tempting Turquoise, Marina Mist, and Basic Grey - so these you have to have old refills with the old pads and new refills with the firm foam pads, Something about the new pads (I bet because they give a more saturated color) required SU to reformulate that ink. The other colors, the reinkers are exactly the same from before and can be used with old or new pads.
Thanks so much for clearing that up. Seems strange that those 5 colors would be different. Guess I will just do without those colors when I use up my reinkers as I'm not buying anything new. ( I truly love Perfect Plum and Marina Mist, too.) I am perfectly happy with the linen pads (which, by the way, everything I have read on the subject says that linen is the best for dye inks) and don't want foam that will get ink in places on my stamp where I don't want it. Still not liking the change to the new ink pad container---too difficult to open and close easily when you have hand issues. Thanks again for clearing up some confusion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #69  

It's confusing. Even we demos are confused.
This is what's on the SU! site:
Quote:

Please note: Five ink colours have undergone formula changes to improve functionality and colour stability with the new firm foam pads. These colours are

Basic Black
Basic Gray
Marina Mist
Perfect Plum
Tempting Turquoise
All five colours of the reformulated inks have been fully tested and approved. While using the new ink formula in the old Stampin' Pads is fine, we do not recommend using the old ink formula in the new firm foam pads.
(emphasis mine)

Quote:

Q: Can I use the reformulated ink with my Stampin’ Spots?
A: Yes.

Q: Can I use the reformulated ink with my Stampin’ Around Wheels?
A: Yes.
I am SO sorry that we have been SO confusing for you!

Last edited by basketballmom; 06-24-2012 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: grammar correction
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #70  
Pearl-ExPert

Gail, That's the best news I've heard yet. Now if they would del the markers separately again, I could be content. I'm pretty content nw, as I really love SU products and would like to continue to use them.
Reply With Quote Likes